Ludi Romani
  • Soundtrack: Main Title Theme

June 1471

*exterior* *Rome* *we see the Castel Sant' Angelo* *the Campo Vacca[1] and Colosseum* *a pigeon takes flight from the Colosseum and wings its way towards Old St. Peter's* *finally settling on the roof of the Palazzo San Marco [2] where it struts, cooing along the edge overlooking the courtyard below* *we see several scarlet robed cardinals strolling amidst the green* *gesticulating to either the sky or an upper window*

*cut to said upper window* *we see the papal Vice-Chancellor, the Cardinal-Deacon of San Nicola pacing the floor anxiously* *an older man, dressed in black, emerges into the room* *he bows to the vice-chancellor before approaching*
    Man in Black: I'm afraid, your Eminence, that his Holiness is no better.
    Vice-Chancellor: but he is no worse, either?
    Man: it is a...lingering illness. But it will not leave him without taking his soul with him.
    Vice-Chancellor: *clearly agitated* his Holiness' soul and when it departs is not up to you. And if you do not cure him, I will send for my own doctor-
    Man: you would entrust God's vicar on earth into the hands of a Marrano pig!
    Vice-Chancellor: *snarling* and if he can save him and you couldn't, I will make sure that all of Europe knows that you killed God's vicar.
    Man: *clearly unsetled*
    Vice-Chancellor: the Romans are...such a changeable lot...imagine how the mob will react when they hear that
    Man: *his throat bobs nervously* *he looks at the door then at the chancellor*
    Vice-Chancellor: if the pope dies now...so soon after naming those new cardinals...everyone will think it's poison. They already do. And I swear by the Madonna that I will make sure that every cardinal knows who the poisoner was. *shoves man back onto the floor*
    *next thing, we see the man scrambling from the room*

*title card displays "A Few Days Later"* *we see the pope- still weak but clearly recovering- leaning heavily on the arm of the Vice-Chancellor as he enters the Church of San Marco* *we can hear the bells of Rome tolling with the news* *we can see that the assembled cardinals' expressions vary from irritated to relieved as the pontiff makes his way up to the front of the church*
    Paul II: *to the cardinals* we are most happy to be among you all again. That God, in His...infinite mercy...has healed us so that the Church may continue to know good government
    Cardinal Latino Orsini [3]: *sotto voce to Cardinal Caffarelli* his Holiness is confusing the mercy of God *crosses himself* with the mercy of Vice-Chancellor Borgia.
    Cardinal Cafferelli: it was his doctor who cured his Holiness
    Orsini: a Marrano. Like him. *glares at the pope and Cardinal Borgia* it's very easy to cure when you stop dripping the poison to him.
    Sforza: then I am certain his Holiness will make a full recovery. Since Cardinal Borgia is to travel to Spain-
    Orsini: let us hope he either stays there or that his ship sinks.
    Sforza: *sweetly* and perhaps if he returns, he will find your Eminence either in a better frame of mind.
    *cut to Paul II and Borgia talking*
    Paul II: what did I miss while I was ill, Rodrigo?
    Rodrigo Borgia: *bored tone* nothing much. The French king and Burgundy's truce has been renewed until July. The English fought a battle at a place called Marshtown-
    Paul II: Marshtown [4]? What an odd name.
    Rodrigo: the English, I am told, are an odd people. It's near York, I believe.
    Paul II: and did it settle the matter of the English crown?
    Rodrigo: King Edward was victorious. So it would seem that the north is now "settled". Unfortunately, it has caused Cornwall to rise up.
    Paul II: against King Edward?
    Rodrigo: King Henry. For King Edward. The prince of Wales and the duke of Somerset's brother have both been dispatched there to crush the rising. King Henry and Queen Marguerite have remained at Windsor. I'm told that there is talk that the prince's wife is pregnant.
    Paul II: talk?
    Rodrigo: those for King Edward- like Cardinal Bourchier- say it is nothing more than a lie spread by the Lancastrians. The duke of Burgundy seems to be convinced it is true though.
    Paul II: if things haven't settled by the time you have fulfilled your duties in Castile, perhaps we should send you to mediate between them. The Turk is on our doorstep and we are busy tearing ourselves apart when we should be standing together.
    Rodrigo: I'm told that I will find matters in Aragon rather unwilling to listen. The king of Sicily [5] is said to be considering pressing his own claim to the Castilian throne[6]-
    Paul II: he continues to assert the king of Castile's daughter is a bastard?
    Rodrigo: he doesn't go quite so far as his late wife or her brother did, I'm told. But I suspect that since your Holiness sent the Bohemian crown to the king of France's brother- thus negating the possibility of a French king of Castile for the girl- he is afraid that the French king will either push the suit of his nephew or the king of Aragon's grandson [7]- or perhaps that the king of Portugal will take it into his head to marry her rather than the D. Leonor [8].
    Paul II: however you decide to manage it, so long as it secures our bulwark in Naples against the Turks.

*fade to black*

[1] cow field. Essentially the old Forum (it was only properly cleared under Paul III)
    [2] nowadays the Palazzo Venezia
    [3] name supplied by @Nuraghe unsure what his opinions were towards Paul II but I could see him having a good support base behind him (local Roman family) that he'd have papal aspirations
    [4] Long Marston (aka Marston Moor)
    [5] Fernando el Catolico
    [6] figure Fernando attempted to do this OTL when Isabel died in 1504, why wouldn't he try it here?
    [7] either Francisco Febo or Jean, Vicomte de Narbonne
    [8] Isabel la Catolica's death the previous October likely delayed the marriage of D. Leonor and D. Joao II in January 1471

EDIT: changed Cardinal Sforza to Caffarelli per @Nuraghe 's suggestion.

Last edited:
    That Fought With Us Upon Saint Swithin's Day
  • Soundtrack: Guillaume Dufay - Hé, compaignons

July 1471

*exterior* *title card reads "Somewhere Along The Tamar River[1]"* *we see soldiers clashing in battle* *Prince Edward is leading his troops against the Yorkist forces under Thomas Bourchier[2]* *we see the newly-wed duke of Somerset rushing to the aid of the prince of Wales, engaged in combat with Bourchier* *only for Somerset to fall dead from his horse* *Bourchier comes down with a bad case of sword through the side of the neck ending his matrimonial bliss* *George Neville, marquess of Montagu, staggers backwards from a blow by his Yorkist opponent, blood pouring from his mouth as he collapses into the river, dead*
    *the waters of the Tamar - already red with blood - eddy around the man's body*

*exterior* *Nancy* *Nicolas d’Anjou makes his solemn entry into the city as duke of Lorraine[3]* *in his train we see Charles de Guienne, king of Bohemia, René, Comte de Vaudémont[4] and his brother, the Sieur de Joinville, and their uncles, the comte d’Aumâle and the bishop of Thérouanne[5]*

*interior* *Charles of Guienne is dining in royal state by Nicolas, Duke of Lorraine, along with Duke Sigmund of Austria and the “count of Bouchain”[6]*
    Earl of Buchan: *to the duc de Guienne* my master, the duke of Burgundy, sends his congratulations on your Majesty’s elevations on his good fortune at becoming the king of Bohemia.
    Charles: and assure you master that, in us, he may always find a most trusted and loyal ally.
    Earl of Buchan: *turns to Sigmund* and he also congratulates your Highness on your long cherished hope finally being fulfilled. Since the duke himself has finally become the father to a son after so long, he intimates the pure satisfaction that accompanies expanding your family in such a manner, your Highness.
    Sigmund: *raises cup*
    Charles: *whispering to Nicolas* I thought it was mere rumour about Madame d’Autriche[7]?
    Nicolas: *over his wine cup* there’s been some speculation. Of whether Madame Eleanor was actually with child or not. Regardless, the proof is there, Monseigneur d’Autriche has a son. The comte de Bouchain is to be godfather. Child is to be named…Wolffert, Wolfgang[8] or somesuch…
    Charles: I imagine that neither the emperor nor the duke of Burgundy are well pleased with this outcome- better the duchess should have had a little girl who the duke could marry to the comte de Charolais.
    Nicolas: even if she had had said daughter, I strongly doubt that the emperor would’ve tolerated such a pairing any more than he should have tolerated matching the duke’s daughter to Monseigneur d’Autriche had Madame Eleanor died as my mother did.
    Charles: still, a son provides a wrinkle in the duke’s purchase of Monseigneur’s lands.
    Nicolas: *about to respond*
    Earl of Buchan: *to Nicolas* and to your Royal Highness, I bring the words of your cousin[9], so lately victorious over the rebels in Cornwall, that he would regard it as a mark of the highest esteem should his son be able to count the kings of Aragon, Bohemia and Sicily as his godfathers.
    Nicolas: my gratitude to my cousin, Monsieur Bouchain. Although I wonder if I should still be so esteemed were it a daughter?
    Earl of Buchan: in which case, his Royal Highness hopes that she will be able to count the queens of Aragon, Bohemia and Sicily[10] as her godmothers.

*fade to black*

[1] since 936AD, the Tamar River has been the demarcated border between Cornwall and Devon. Per @RedKing the region was pretty evenly divided between York and Lancaster.
    [2] Thomas Bourchier is the (third?) son of the earl of Essex and Isabel of York (making him cousin of Edward IV). He married Isabel Stafford (née Barre), Countess of Devon in 1470, and briefly became Edward IV's man down in the south-west. Isabel Stafford's late husband (and Edward's prior man on the spot), Humphrey Stafford, Earl of Devon (of the Grafton Staffords, not the Buckinghams), had been lynched by a mob in August 1469 after falling out with ICR if it was Hastings or Pembroke over a tavern wench! The rival left in high dudgeon and took his forces with him, leaving Stafford to fend for himself. He lost, cue lynching.
    [3] OTL Nicolas made his entry two weeks after Saint Swithin’s Day (15 July) on 7 August 1471
    [4] OTL René II of Lorraine
    [5] Nicolas de Vaudémont, Sieur de Joinville (†1476), Jean de Vaudémont, Comte d’Aumâle (†1473) and Henri de Vaudémont, Bishop of Thérouanne (bishop of Metz from 1484) (†1503)
    [6] The “count of Bouchain” (earl of Buchan) is the son of Wolffert VI van Borsellen and Mary of Scots. In a source, he’s described as having been with Charles the Bold at Amiens in 1471, while most sources place his death at age 13 (although his birthyear is inconsistently listed as 1448 or 1451, making death anything from 1461 to 1465). It’s possible that his death at Amiens is a typo, but perhaps it isn’t. His dad wouldn’t be the first man to remarry when he already has a son by his first wife (Maximilian of Austria, Filippo II of Savoy, le Bon Roi René, Juan II of Aragon and Affonso V of Portugal are all contemporary instances), so the argument that Wolffert’s remarriage (to Charlotte de Bourbon-Montpensier) was only because his son was already dead doesn’t really hold water
    [7] in Louis XI’s correspondence, Sigmund and his wife are always spoken of as “Monseigneur” and “Madame d’Autriche” respectively.
    [8] OTL Sigmund and Eleanor’s (supposedly) had son was born in November 1480, the birth of which killed her. I simply moved the birth from a (very dangerous) 47yo to a more (manageable) 38yo
    [9] Buchan might not be the official channel between England and Burgundy/Lorraine, but it makes sense if he’s going that direction anyway…
    [10] A diplomatic answer that says “we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it”, since all three “kings” are unmarried. Nicolas is engaged to Anne de Beaujeu, while the duc de Guienne is tentatively still engaged to Marie of Burgundy (both matches were only terminated in May 1472). And “king of Sicily” can be either René d’Anjou (whose wife, Jeanne de Laval, is Marguerite d’Anjou’s stepmother) or Fernando of Aragon (currently a widower)

Tri Martolod [1]
  • Soundtrack: Cipriano de Rore - Justus es Domine

August 1471

*exterior* *shots of the Breton coast through driving rain, howling wind and thunder* *the dark sky is illuminated only by sporadic flashes of lightning* *before we swoop up the Loire to Nantes*

*cut to the Chateau des Ducs* *interioe* *in a large chamber with a high ceiling, lit by candles, we see the duke, Frañsez II, at the head of the table, with several other men, including a cleric, squabbling it out* *on the whole, Frañsez looks like he'd much rather be anywhere else*
    Guillaume Chauvin: it would, naturally, suit the king of France admirably if his Highness were to marry the king's niece, the princess of Savoie.
    Pierre Landais: *applauding sarcastically* bravo, Chauvin, ever the French dog! [2]. How much did King Louis have to pet you before you agreed with him? You wag your tail a little for Paris and it rains gold coins. *makes a whistling noise as if calling a dog*
    Chauvin: and you? Landais? You wish to marry his Highness to an Aragonese princess? The duke of Lorraine's brother still sits in Barcelona! The duke is reportedly already en route south, and he has sent messengers ahead of him calling the men of Anjou to arms so he can march south and claim his birthrite. In our own garden, the Sieur de Laval rallies his own man to accompany the Anjou army south. Dare we risk a match with a king so embattled as to be outside his own capital?
    Chancellor Vincent de Kerleau, the man in clerical garb: Nor can we forget that the princess de Savoie is already being spoken of as a potential bride for the king of Sicily [3]. Monsieur Landais makes as valid a point about her as Monsieur Chauvin's argument against antagonizing the house of Anjou. We are not so fortunate as our cousins in England to have the safety of a ditch between ourselves and Anjou. Sadly, we have only the Pays de Raïs.
    Chauvin: and no doubt, should the princess of Wales be unfortunate enough to die in childbirth- now that she has been confirmed to be with child-before the king of Sicily is out of mourning [4], Louis will offer his niece there. *bangs table with fist* We cannot afford to let this opportunity pass us by. She is of age, beautiful and intelligent, there would be no need to wait for her to leave mourning like Madame de Burgundy's sister [5].
    Landais: in terms of age, beauty and intelligence, the same can be said of the princess of Aragon. And her dowry would be infinitely superior. She is at least a king's daughter and not a king's niece.
    Kerleau: a king who- if the reports are true- has murdered two of his own children. The princess' mother having used witchcraft to seduce the king [6]-
    Landais: they said the same of the duchess of Bedford. Does anyone of us believe that there was any witchcraft involved in her daughter attracting a man who could not force his trousers to obey him, still less his subjects-
    Frañsez II: *dryly* and yet, Monsieur Landais, until it became apparent that King Edward wasn't going to simply ride into London, you were the strongest arguer of us marrying his sister, even though the situations are very similar. A widow who is past her first youth and who already has children.
    Landais: *suitably chastened* a grave error on my part, your Highness. But now that the duke of Anjou's strength is growing- Lorraine and possibly Aragon- not to mention the prince of Wales' wife being pregnant and the Lancastrian army under the earl of Warwick laying siege to the city of London....it is important that Brittany not find itself caught as a minnow between two sharks- Anjou and England-
    Chauvin: the same argument could be used for why we should ally with King Louis against the duc d'Anjou.
    Landais: except the duc d'Anjou has ever been a loyal supporter of the king of France- regardless of their differences.
    Kerleau: said situation might not continue. King Edward was marching south from York to relieve London when his army was surprised at Shelby [7] and driven to the coast. There, they took ship. If my contacts at the court of Burgundy are correct [8], they suspect he will land on the Flemish coast in the week.
    Landais: and the duke will accept that?
    Kerleau: the duke is unlikely to render his brother further assistance in the matter.
    Landais: I meant the duke of York, not the duke of Burgundy.
    Frañsez II: *looks out of window* assuming that he isn't lost at sea in this storm. It's been blowing for a week.
    Chauvin: I imagine that if that were to happen, there are many in Europe who will do their level best to look sad.

*cut to the Thames* *night* *in the driving rain, a boat rows its way up the river to the stairs at Coldharbour [9]* *we see three men stepping out of the boat onto the private dock as another fastens the moorings* *when a porter opens the door for them, we sense he's extremely irritated at being woken up*
    Man: fetch the duchess of Exeter
    Porter: like hell I will. You three show up here. On a night like this? Get off the grounds before I throw you out myself.
    Man: *chuckles* *then he and the other two force the door* *one of them puts a hand over the porter's mouth before he conks out*
    Woman: *from the doorway* honestly, Edward, did you have to be so dramatic?
    "Edward": *shrugs guiltily* *a lightning flash illuminates the faces of all three men: Edward IV, King of England, Sir Thomas Vaughan [10] and Edward Brandon [11]*
    Woman: *hurries forward* *embraces and kisses Edward Brandon*
    Edward IV: Katherine, I'm sorry to break off this...lovely...show of affection to a dog home from the sea, but is my sister upstairs?
    Katherine: *not even looking at the king, but rather, staring at her husband like she's trying to memorize his face* *skeptically* three of you plus your sister are going to lift the siege of London? *squints at Vaughan* I hope there were as at least a whole regiment of soldiers that escaped from Yorkshire with you, your Majesty.
    Brandon: told you on our wedding night, I might not look like much, but I'm all you'll ever need.
    Vaughan: *curses in Welsh* *in English* if I have to hear this story once more, I'm going to make her a widow
    *a beat for all four burst out laughing* *the porter is just stirring and looks like "what the Hell is going on?"*

*fade to black*

[1] Breton folk song (the Three Sailors)
    ^the original^
    ^an English version^
    [2] I couldn't find much on Guillaume Chauvin and Landais' OTL rivalry or any major differences between their policies. Although Landais was reasonably anti-French and pro-independence, so I decided to go with Chauvin being pro-French (even if it's just as an accusation by Landais). Thanks to @Brita for pointing me in their direction
    [3] Fernando el Catolico
    [4] not sure how long it was in Spain, but in France, mourning was thirteen months. Which means Anne Neville clearly has a due date around November 1471
    [5] Anne of York
    [6] ICR where I read this, but this was apparently an accusation levelled against Juana Enriquez OTL
    [7] Selby
    [8] Kerleau was a key negotiator in the match between Charles of Guienne and Marie of Burgundy
    [9] the London residence of the Hollands:
    a stately Stone mansion of many storeys and countless rooms, occupying all the ground between All Hallows Lane and Hay Wharf Lane. It had been built by a rich merchant, and sold by him to the Earl of Hereford for the payment of a rose at midsummer.
    It later passed to Richard III, then Margaret Beaufort and the bishop of Durham before it somehow wound up in the possession of the Talbots. Bess of Hardwick's husband pulled it down. The mansion next door belonged to Yorkist loyalist, the earl of Worcester, John Tiptoft
    [10] Vaughan was a committed Yorkist, who was tasked with the negotiations of Margaret of York's marriage to the duke of Burgundy. Prior to his Yorkist stint, he'd been Henry VI's Keeper of the Wardrobe, but was captured by the French when fleeing England. Edward IV ransomed him (and Vaughan became an unwavering Edward fanboy). He was appointed to be Keeper of the King's Jewels and Treasurer of the King's Chamber before becoming chamberlain to the future Edward V in 1475. Vaughan met his end at the end of an axe the same day (for the same reasons) as Antony Wydeville, Sir Richard Grey and Sir Richard Haute (another Wydeville relative)
    [11] Edward Brandon, no relation of the far more famous Charles (and also Brampton or Brandão) was born a Portuguese Jew who somehow wound up in London being baptized as a Christian with Edward IV as a godfather. He was appointed Governor of Guernsey but was later removed by Richard III for his "suspect loyalties". From Guernsey, he went to Burgundy, where he held a position in the household of the duchess of Burgundy (Margaret of York). He was up to his eyeballs in coaching Perkin Warbeck to be Richard of Shrewsbury (formerly Brandon's charge). And he ended his days in the employ of Pope Alexander VI. A life that makes even Chaz Brandon's look boring, to be sure. Either way, both Vaughan and Brandon are men that Edward clearly trusts and the sort of "people" who'd stick by him through thick and thin. Vaughan's past in foreign affairs- probably a passable speaking of French- and Brandon's past as sailor and adventurer (pirate is also the description used), would be the sort who would be able to convince the port authorities that they are "Flemish cloth merchants".
    [12] like Charles Brandon OTL, Duarte Brandão married remarkably well (considering that he was born a literal bastard and a Jew), albeit not royalty: his wife was Katherine (called Margaret in some sources), although there seems to be confusion whether "Brandon" was her last name that Duarte adopted or whether it was Beaumont (since in the 1507 will of the Archdeacon of Wells, Thomas Beaumont, his sister (Margaret) is named as his heiress- and left a considerable amount of lands). Given the Brampton/Brandon connection to the Mortimers, the Ferrers de Groby's as well as Wigmore Abbey (the site of the birth of Eleanor Talbot's son, Edward de Wigmore), I'm leaning towards it being her name.

Last edited:
    On The Spanish Succession
  • Soundtrack: Canciero de Montecassino - Viva, viva rey Ferrando, canción, CM. 111

August 1471

*exterior* *somewhere in the south of England* *we see Edward of Westminster fighting against the Yorkists*

*exterior* *Windsor* *King Henry and Queen Marguerite are walking in the Quadrangle when a messenger arrives for them* *messenger dismounts from his horse, bows and offers them a box*
    Messenger: from the Prince of Wales, your Majesties[1]. *opens box before them*
    *cut to the view of the box* *there's a bloody banner in it* *King Henry puts his hand on it* *pulls it out of the box* *it's a standard* *as it unfurls, something falls out* *it flutters to show that it's the "standard" of the Cinque Ports*
    Messenger: *picks up what fell out* *it's the head of the 9th earl of Arundel[2]* his Highness wishes for your Majesty to know that he is well, they have taken Arundel Castle, and that all of the south west of England is now under your obedience once more.
    Marguerite: *to the head of Arundel* I suppose that makes my son the new earl of Arundel then[3]

*cut to Valencia, Spain* *we see Cardinal Borgia disembarking at the city's port* *then a procession through the streets to the cathedral, amidst the cheering crowds[4]* *he's met at the doors to the cathedral by King Juan and Fernando, King of Sicily*

*cut to interior of the Capilla del Santo Cáliz[5]* *the men are at prayers* *followed by a shot of the three walking in the cathedral*
    Juan II, King of Aragon: your Eminence, we trust that you will report to the Holy Father our joy at his recovery.
    Borgia: I will do so gladly. Although I cannot help but wonder if your Majesty's joy at his recovery is perhaps also encouraged by him refusing to grant the dispensation in order that the king of Castile's daughter will be unable to marry the king of Portugal's son.
    Juan II: *assumes a look of injured innocence*
    Borgia: your Majesty's interests are the same as mine. I do not wish to see a Portuguese ruled Iberia any more than your Majesty does.
    Juan II: then we are agreed.
    Borgia: only so far as that is concerned. Your Majesty's behaviour towards your nephew, the king of Naples is hardly becoming. It certainly does not accord well with someone so benefitting from the Holy Father's kindness.
    Fernando: my cousin is a bastard.
    Borgia: he is the king of Naples, all the same, your Majesty
    Fernando: his Holiness is a Venetian. Why would he block my father's attempts to recover what my cousin stole from him.
    Borgia: because...thanks to the sultan...his Holiness finds it necessary that Aragon and Naples stand united against the Mohammedans. Should the sultan wish for next season's campaign to strike at Italy...what good would it do if there is an Aragonese army in Naples that has common cause with the Musselmans?
    Juan II: your Eminence talks as if we would ally ourselves with the heretics against our nephew.
    Borgia: have you not already allied with the emir of Granada against the king of Castile?
    Juan II: that is for defensive purposes only, sir. And the king of Castile does the same against us-
    Borgia: *raises finger to the ceiling* and will that be your excuse on the day of judgement, your Majesty? That I was not alone in allying with the Turks or the Granadans? Then you shall stand alone, and I fear that cowering behind excuses of others telling you to behave suchly will buy you no favour.
    Fernando: *sardonically* but hearing your Eminence's scheme out will?
    Borgia: *makes a smile like "of course"*
    Juan II: *tiredly* what is your scheme, murrano.
    Borgia: the king of France is willing to endorse the recall of the duke of Anjou’s forces from Barcelona.
    Fernando: and knowing the French king, he will demand a price-
    Borgia: your Majesty drops you daughter’s suit to the duke of Brittany.
    Juan II: that price is rather steep.
    Borgia: and he’s willing to endorse your son’s match to king of Castile’s daughter.
    Fernando: *angrily* she’s a bastard.
    Borgia: she's a bastard, so's your cousin in Naples, and I can tell your Majesty that your late brother[6] likely said the same of you.
    Juan II: and how does my son marrying her help things?
    Borgia: why bother with sending an army to subdue Castile if one can inherit it with no struggle at all?
    Juan II: which begs my question- you wish peace between my nephew in Naples and I, you wish peace between Aragon and Castile-
    Borgia: and I wish for peace between France and Aragon, as unlikely as that seems.
    Fernando: and I wish that I pissed gold ducats, but we can’t always have what we wish for.
    Borgia: *to Fernando* your Majesty, imagine the pain each time you attempted to pass water. –the threat from the sultan cannot be ignored. It suits Christendom’s purposes ill to be at one another’s throats when there is a wolf outside the sheepfold.
    Juan II: his Holiness wishes for a Crusade then?
    Borgia: not a crusade. But he does wish to avoid…unseasonal conflict…should the need arise. And both Naples and Hungary are parts in that schema.
    Juan II: what does Hungary have to do with it?
    Borgia: now that his brother is the king of Bohemia, it seems the king of France has discovered an interest in growing his…network…on the far side of Europe. He has offered his niece, Princess Anna[7], for either the king of Poland or his son, the king of Hungary.
    Fernando: King Mattias is not the king of Poland’s son.
    Borgia: *sly smile* a slip of the tongue, your Majesty…I must’ve misunderstood what Cardinal Vitez[8] wrote.
    Juan II: I thought the king of France wishes for Anna to become the king of Castile’s new wife?
    Borgia: the king of France has wished her to be the wife of Prince Edward, the queen of Castile, the duchess of Brittany and now the queen of Hungary…one can be forgiven for not being able to keep track.
    Fernando: you do, your Eminence.
    Borgia: *dawning look on his face* why so I do. –however, one can understand how another French match in Hungary would render his Holiness’ plans for an alliance of a strong Iberia, Naples and Hungary, against the Turks, completely unworkable.
    Juan II: you wish for my daughter to take the Savoie girl’s place?
    Borgia: well, the alternative would be your niece- *searching for a name* Beatrice, is it?- becoming queen of Hungary.
    *neither of the other men look impressed by this idea*
    Fernando: what of Anna then? She becomes duchess of Brittany?
    Borgia: or queen of Castile. I’m afraid the dispensation his Holiness issued to allow that match is already beyond recall.
    Juan II: consider your words, Borja. If she marries the king of Castile and produces a son, then that renders this alliance for my son useless!
    Borgia: *idly fingering his rosary* not at all. The king of Castile’s daughter is still a child of nine. Not even St. Peter himself would allow such a marriage to be consummated immediately. If…in that time…the king of Castile were to father a son…to have the betrothal undone would be no matter- Princess Anna is a case in point. –but in the event that the king of Castile were to leave no issue, your Majesty *looks at Fernando* will be able to claim rule over the larger two thirds of Spain.
    Juan II: he could do it anyway. If she’s a bastard then she has no more right to the throne than your own son[9] will have to follow you as bishop of Valencia- and the next male Trastamaras are the Aragonese line
    Borgia: but then your Majesty will have to fight to win. I offer you the means of obtaining it peaceably.- or mostly peaceably, anyway. *parting shot as he bows* the duke of Anjou’s armies can be out of Aragon by All Saints[10] and your daughter as queen of Hungary instead of a mere duchess.

*fade out on Fernando looking like he is weighing the options as Borgia sweeps out of the cathedral*

[1] I know @vvd pointed out that the "majesty" style wasn't used pre-Tudors, but this is simply to differentiate
    [2] Edward IV's Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports (also married to Warwick's sister and notorious for "dragging his feet")
    [3] this was "formalized" under Henry VI that whoever held Arundel Castle was automatically "earl of Arundel"
    [4] Borgia is both bishop of Valencia and the pope's emissary. It's not unthinkable that he would "pull out the stops" and splash the cash for this
    [5] Chapel of the Holy Grail. In 1436, King Juan's brother, Alfonso V, presented a chalice to the cathedral, believed by many to be the Holy Grail
    [6] Carlos, Prince of Viana
    [7] Of Savoie (OTL duchess of Apulia)
    [8] at the beginning of 1471, Pope Paul II created and did not publish four more cardinals: János Vitéz, archbishop of Esztergom, Hungary (among others). However, by the time of Sixtus IV's first consistory in December 1471, Vitéz was already under arrest/suspicion of treason by Matyas Corvinus
    [9] Pedro Luis Borja, duque de Gandia
    [10] 1 November

Circa Regna Tonat
  • Soundtrack: Thomas Tallis - O Nata Lux[1]

August 1471

*exterior* *London* *dawn* *some ships flying the Burgundian colours sail up the river* *next thing we see the colours hauled down and a flag in murrey-and-blue hoisted* *the arms of England flutter out, flanked by a black bull and a black dragon, while the lions of England are picked out in white[2]*
    *we see Antony Wydeville leading a garrison of troops out of the Tower of London into the city streets as we hear the thundering of cannons* *then the church bells start pealing a warning*
    *Hastings crosses himself as he, George, duke of Clarence and their party encounter a posse of Lancastrians*

*interior* *L’Erber[3]* *this is clearly a few days later* *George of Clarence, Richard of Gloucester, Antony Wydeville, Hastings, Edward Brandon and John Savage are all seated around a table* *we hear some noises through the ceiling that all the men are attempting to ignore*
    George: *after a particularly loud noise* *cattily interrupts* it’s rather remarkable. London is fallen, the fires in Southwark and Aldgate are put out, Bishopsgate and the bridge have been taken back from Fauconberg[4], and instead of going to his wife, my brother is upstairs in my house fucking another bastard into a whore.
    Wydeville: *although from his expression he does seem to agree with the majority of Clarence’s sentiments* my sister is still in sanctuary. I doubt the Dean of Westminster would welcome a second child born in his purlieus.
    George: *ignoring him* *to Hastings* has my brother decided what it is he will do with my sister, the princess of Wales?
    Hastings: in what event, sir? She will not come to London willingly.
    George: in the event that, now that we have London *tone implies “again”* and the north, I expect our next push will be towards Windsor and Oxford. Should we take them successfully, there is the matter of the princess of Wales-
    Richard: *indulgently* don’t be greedy, George. There are her mother-in-law and mother to be considered as well.
    George: I assure you, Crumplin[5], that that is the furthest thing from my mind. Rather, I was talking of the state in which she’s in.
    *Edward IV walks into the room, escorted by Thomas St. Leger and William Norris* *the men stand*
    Edward IV: *tiredly* not still jealous that even that Lancastrian brat could do what you couldn’t, George?
    George: *brushing it off* I was talking of the inevitable outcome of her state.
    Edward IV: inevitable? *sits down* *motions for men to do so as well* I don’t believe it’s inevitable.
    Hastings: the princess of Wales is with child. That is certain.
    Edward IV: was there ever any doubt?
    Wydeville: I believe- what his Royal Highness is attempting to ask, Majesty- is what you intend to do about the situation should we be required to deal with it.
    Edward IV: is there any doubt among you that I will deal with the situation? *harsh tone* when that boy is born, we will be finished. It will make no difference that their soi disant prince turns eighteen, he and Warwick will be bound to one another.
    Richard: you could name him a bastard.
    Edward IV: *indulgently* Dickon…*tuts* dearest crooked of face, crooked of back, crooked of wit Dickon, what would that help? Father did it with King Henry’s son and started this whole war. If Father was correct and he is a bastard, then the child has no claim to the throne. Naming him a bastard is superfluous. If Father was wrong, and he isn’t a bastard, but his son is, the boy is still the sole heir of the Earl of Warwick. And he can summon the entirety of the Nevilles to support him as they once supported us.
    Brandon: so what will you do, your Majesty?
    Edward IV: *coldly* whatever is necessary.

*exterior* *Windsor Castle* *cut to council room* *King Henry, Queen Marguerite are both present* *as are Jasper Tudor, Earl of Pembroke, his nephew, Henry Tudor, Earl of Richmond, John Beaufort, Marquess of Dorset, the earl of Oxford and Chancellor Wenlock* *”in the hotseat” -as it were- is the Earl of Warwick*
    Marguerite: Milord Warwick, I warned you what would happen if you played us false.
    Warwick: and I assure your Majesty that I have done no such thing.
    Dorset: are we to believe that there was no prior agreement? That your nephew simply let London fall to the earl of March.
    Warwick: he did not, Milord of Dorset, rather he fought bravely with what forces he had at his disposal. When he and his men were unable to hold London bridge, they set it and Southwark aflame in an attempt to prevent the earl’s forces from crossing.
    Pembroke: but they did still cross.
    Warwick: say what you mean, Milord of Pembroke. The time for veiled accusations is long past- don’t you think?
    *the doors to the council room bang open* *Edward of Westminster strides in* *carrying Edward, 5th duke of Somerset, on his hip* *the little boy looks rather delighted at whatever Edward is saying to him* *then the prince of Wales deposits the three-year-old in the vacant seat*
    Marguerite: *exasperatedly* Edward-
    *both Edwards look at her at the mention of her name*
    Edward of Westminster: *sotto voce to Somerset* she’s talking to me. *leans on back of chair and looks at his mother* yes, maman?
    Marguerite: what are you doing?
    Westminster: attending a council meeting that seems to have been called without inviting me, your Majesty *looks pointedly at his father* *Henry simply lowers his eyes* and since the duke of Somerset is the highest peer in the realm after our good selves *Pembroke and Richmond both seem to grasp the implications of this* it is only fitting that he should attend as well.
    Richmond: *disgustedly* he is a child. A basta-
    Westminster: *puts his hands over Somerset’s ears* that’s enough. *to guardsman at the door* captain, if you will please escort Milord Richmond back to his rooms until he can learn to keep a civil tongue in his head.
    *the rest of the council looks surprised* *the captain comes forward* *Richmond throws the hand off*
    Richmond: unhand me you filth *glares at guard* my God a peasant like you to a queen’s grandson!
    Westminster: yes…a queen’s grandson. Not a king’s. *motions to guard to continue* *we hear Richmond being a typical 14-year-old sent to his room by a parent* *Westminster sits in Richmond’s chair* now…why is my dear father [in-law] not seated? *motions to him to sit down*
    Dorset: we were discussing the treasonous correspondence of the Earl of Warwick with his son, the duke of Clarence.
    Westminster: my brother of Clarence is well, I trust?
    Dorset: *caught flat-footed* he offers terms for the earl of Warwick.
    Westminster: what terms?
    Warwick: in light of your Royal Highness’ approaching birthday, the duke of Clarence has written me offering to intercede with me with the earl of March for clemency should I return to their side[6].
    Westminster: *nods amiably* and would you desert your grandson, milord? *makes Somerset laugh by pulling a silly face*
    Warwick: it seems that Milords of Dorset and Pembroke regard my receiving this letter and presenting it to them as proof of my forfeiture of your Majesties’ trust.
    Westminster: *to Marguerite* and has he forfeited your trust, Maman? He has received a letter and shown it to you. He did not disappear in the dead of night.
    Marguerite: there is his nephew’s surrender of London to consider.
    Westminster: *gets out of his chair and paces restlessly* that is his nephew’s behaviour. Not his. And as I understand it, Milord Bastard acquitted himself rather well with the means he had at his disposal. *turns witheringly on Dorset and Pembroke* the same, sadly, cannot be said of either of you, milords, who retreated from London when you merely heard that the York forces were approaching.
    Dorset: we were looking to his Majesty’s safety, your Royal Highness.
    Westminster: there were many who said you were looking to your own. *calmly* now…Milord Pembroke…you will return to Wales. You will rally as many men as you are able- tell them that their prince is requiring of their services once more.
    Pembroke: my nephew, sir-
    Westminster: he is young. He is forgiven. He will stay with me-
    Pembroke: but I am responsible for him. Since his father died. We have seldom been parted-
    Westminster: *royal tone* we would keep him here. With us.
    Pembroke: *looks conflicted but finally bows in obedience*
    Westminster: now, Milord Dorset…I trust you have no further aspersions to cast on *heavy tone* our most trustworthy father’s loyalties.
    Dorset: none, sir.
    Westminster: good. Then, Milord Warwick, you will write to my brother of Clarence-
    *stunned silence at table*
    Westminster: and you will offer him our terms.

*exterior* *Woodstock Palace* *we see Edward of Westminster arriving*
    *interior* *Anne Neville- now visibly pregnant- is sitting near a window in her rooms* *she is having her portrait painted* *her sisters, Isabel, duchess of Clarence and Margaret Huddleston[7], are talking to her* *we can see Isabel’s levity is more forced[8]*
    Page: his Royal Highness, the Prince of Wales.
    *Isabel and Margaret both rise and curtsey as their brother-in-law enters* *they- and the painter- turn to leave*
    Edward: Lady Huddleston, if you’ll be so kind as to close the door on your way out. This concerns Isabel too.
    *Margaret looks sympathetically at her sister as she closes the door* *Anne takes her sister’s hand*
    Edward: *puts finger under her chin and raises her head* nothing quite so drastic to merit such a face, dear sister. I’d not endanger the life of my son if it were.
    *both Anne and Isabel look relieved*
    Edward: George has written.
    Isabel: *trying to play it cool* he is unharmed?
    Edward: *irritatedly* certainly far less than your cousin of Fauconberg. I hear he’ll now look the pirate…with the eyepatch. *normal tone* although I must say…if I were the one holding him prisoner, he should be in the Tower’s dungeons and not living at L’Erber[9].
    Anne: but that’s father’s house. George has no right to it.
    Edward: your father is the one to whom George has written.
    Anne: but why?
    Edward: to make him a deal that would not see his head separated from his shoulders.
    Isabel: your Royal Highness trusts that Edward will uphold it.
    Edward: this Edward would. That Edward…well…I don’t trust him to do it. He’s played this role before. Offering clemency as a ruse de guerre[10]. After all…if his behaviour with Pembroke or Devon[11] is anything to go by, he would’ve beheaded Arundel and installed one of his own protégés as earl. Not allowed the earl’s son to succeed on promise that he would not take arms against him again.
    Anne: and you believe that my cousin of Arundel will abide by that, Ned?
    Edward: I’ve offered to make his daughter[12] a duchess by betrothing her to Somerset. I was unaware that the earl of March has any dukes up his sleeve aside from that poor miserable specimen that is his brother.
    Anne: *lightly scolding* you shouldn’t be cruel about Crumplin like that, Ned.
    Edward: your charity does your credit, Nanette[13]. But when he has called me a bastard, I suspect I am being too kind by half. *he throws himself on the bed* in fact…my kindness to your sister was called weakness earlier.
    Isabel: to me, your Royal Highness?
    Edward: I would return you to your husband’s loving arms. That’s what the wedding vows say, do they not? What God has so joined let no man set asunder?
    Isabel: why?
    Edward: gesture of good will. We will allow you to return to George. And in exchange, they are to give us Lords Clifford, Fauconberg, Ormonde and Wiltshire. Personally, I would hand over Richmond in exchange for his stepfather, but sadly, even George wrote back and said they don’t even want him.
    *both women laugh*
    Isabel: but I would have to leave Annie- and Madge.
    Edward: *climbing off the bed* *walking over to the easel* for a little while, yes. Who knows…perhaps when we see one another again, you will both be the mother to an Edward.
    Isabel: *looks conflicted*
    Edward: *squints at the painting* *then looks at Anne* this looks nothing like you. *the nose is too long and the chin non-existent* *plus, she’s shown with straight fair hair instead of her curling more strawberry-blonde colour* when we win, I’ll ask my grandfather to send over a portraitist. Best in France. No…someone Italian- they know all sorts of new things- get a proper picture done of you. The way the Yorks describe me, one would believe I was a squash-faced, pot-bellied dwarf *the clearly not short or pot-bellied Ned bends over and kisses her pouty mouth tenderly, puts a protective hand on her belly*

*fade to black*

[1] The O nata lux text is taken from a 10th-century anonymous hymn that uses the concept of light to symbolise hope. The hymn is sung at Lauds on the feast of the Transfiguration (6 August)
    [2] Mostly because the “roses” symbol is anachronistic. The black bull (symbol of Lionel of Antwerp, duke of Clarence), the black dragon (symbol of the earldom of Ulster) and the white lions (the Mortimer earldom of March, Richard II’s “chosen heir”) were used by the Yorks to underline the “primacy” of their claim
    [3] “One of the finest houses in London” as a contemporary described it. The property of Warwick which later passed to his daughter, Isabel, duchess of Clarence
    [4] Nephew of the Kingmaker
    [5] I read that this was an (affectionate) nickname used by Clarence and the Nevilles (where he was brought up) for Richard III. It means one who is “small in stature and crooked of appearance”
    [6] Clarence did this OTL
    [7] The Kingmaker’s bastard daughter, married to Richard Huddleston sometime between 1464 and the Nevilles’ departure for France. Huddleston himself was the heir to his father, the 9e Lord Millom. However, sadly, he predeceased his father- possibly dying at Bosworth. Margaret was certainly in Anne’s household when she became queen, and given her “closeness” would be a prime candidate for a post like the later mistress of the robes
    [8] There seems to be very little evidence to support the popular depictions of George, duke of Clarence as a an abusive drunkard. In fact, all things considered, he and Isabel seem to have had a – for the time – reasonably contented marriage. It’s worth noting that he’s the only one of his brothers to have fathered no bastards or kept a mistress. And his reaction after her death OTL suggests someone genuinely mad with grief at the loss and looking for someone to blame.
    [9] Warwick’s townhouse in London that George and Isabel inherited
    [10] Edward IV lured both Robert Dymoke's father (Thomas Dymoke) and the 8e Baron Welles (Dymoke's uncle) from Westminster Abbey with the promise of a pardon
    [11] Two earldoms were Edward IV awarded the lands to his supporters
    [12] This would be Margaret FitzAlan. How committed Edward of Westminster is to this betrothal is debatable, but at the same time, he's right about the fact that the only "duke" Edward IV has readily available, is the duke of Gloucester. The Lancasters, by contrast, have both the duke of Somerset and George Neville (who hasn't been deprived of the dukedom of Bedford yet) in reserve.
    [13] From a contemporary description of Anne: seemly, amiable and beauteous, and in conditions full commendable and right virtuous and, according to the interpretation of her name, Anne, full gracious.

Sound My Trumpets! And We Shall Ring Our Bells!
  • Soundtrack: Pierre de la Rue -Missa de Septem Doloribus: Gloria [1]

*exterior* *London* *Isabel Neville, Duchess of Clarence - and one or two other ladies - are riding towards a waiting Anne, Dowager Duchess of Exeter and Cecily, Duchess of York*
    *cut to Edward IV receiving her at L'Erber [2]* *he's still in the midst of speaking when suddenly he's drowned out by first one church's bells ringing* *then another* *then Saint Paul's and Westminster Abbey take up the toll*
    Edward IV: *hissing to Brandon* why are the bells ringing?
    Brandon: *looks at Antony Wydeville and others* *none of them seem to have any idea*
    Isabel Neville: I suspect they've heard the news, your Majesty
    Hastings: what news, madam?
    Isabel: my sister went into labour at Matins-
    Antony: but she wasn't due until after All Saints [3], the child is-
    Isabel: born healthy at Lauds, milord. I suspect that that is why the bells are ringing: the Prince of Wales has an heir
    *stunned silence at the news* *more than a few worried glances*

*exterior* *Castello di Scaglieri, Sirmione, Republic of Venice* *the trumpets sound* *crowds cheer* *petals and confetti are thrown as Charles de Valois, King of Bohemia, rides into the castle with his entourage* *in the castle's hall are waiting the wizened Niccolò Tron [4], Podesta of Padua, and equally ancient Nicolò Marcello [5]*
    Charles: *behind his hand to a companion* who're the greybeards?
    Companion: the representatives of the most Serene Republic of Venice, sire.
    Charles: *nods* *walks forward* *puts hand out for them to kiss*
    *neither man moves*
    Niccolò Tron: your Majesty, on behalf of his Serenity [6], the Doge of Venice and the Maggior Consiglio...we bid you welcome to our humble republic.
    Charles: and we thank your *faintly mocking* humble republic for your kindness, Monseigneurs. It was unnecessary that they should send men so...*clearly trying to think of something complimentary* venerable and wise as yourselves to welcome us.
    Marcello: it is no trouble, your Majesty, I was already homeward bound from having been to the duke of Ferrara's funeral last month [7]
    Charles: it seems my brother or the king of England are not the only sovereigns who would murder their own family. Duke Hercule beat him to the punch.
    Tron: it seems that - contrary to what is being rumoured - the new duke had no hand in the death of Duke Borso. Rather, the dagger- we are told- is to be placed in the hand of a certain duke of Milan [8]
    Charles: my brother's puppet, you mean? [9]
    Marcello: the same, sire.
    Charles: and Venice is-
    Tron: currently, without allies. Duke Ercole hesitates to follow in Duke Borso's Venetian footsteps. Hence our visit.
    Charles: *looks at both*
    Marcello: as your Majesty is no doubt aware, it is His Holiness who nominated you to be king of Bohemia.
    Charles: and since his Holiness is a Venetian, I am to owe my throne to your Republic?
    Tron: hardly...your Majesty owes your throne to the Bohemians. However...Venice had hoped for securing your patronage?
    Charles: against Milan and my brother?
    Marcello: not quite. Your Majesty's route to Prague- once you pass into the bishopric of Trent at the end of the lake and thence into the empire- follows the Venetian trade routes through the Brenner Pass. One branching off to Nuremberg and one to Prague.
    Charles: and this concerns me why?
    Tron: Venice would be interested in expanding their trade routes-
    Charles: how is that any concern of mine?
    Tron: as king of Bohemia your Majesty would possess certain...leverage inside the empire. Both with the allies you currently have- like the duke of Burgundy- and ones you will secure in future. It has been a dream of Bohemia since the days of Emperor Carlo Quarto to dominate the trade routes along the Elbe.
    Charles: forgive me, Monseigneur, but the days of Charles de Luxembourg are long past.
    Marcello: that may be true, but Venice- and by extension- Bohemia- is still reliant on the goodwill of the Hanseatic League...*spits* or the Genoese...in order to trade along both the Elbe and the Rhine. Were your Majesty to use that...leverage...to enable the most Serene Republic to procure favourable trade agreements...it could benefit us both.
    Charles: *thinks on this for a while* what of Guienne?
    Marcello & Tron: *both look confused*
    Charles: whether by accident or design, my brother did not require that I renounce the duchy of Guienne on becoming king of Bohemia. The port of Bordeaux would provide a useful base out of which to expand the Venetian network. To trade with England, Burgundy, Brittany. Assure them of your good will.
    Tron: *disdainful* we have no interest in trading with England or-
    Marcello: *stamps on his colleague's foot*
    Charles: that is my deal. I imagine that it will be faster to make inroads into the Rhine through my brother, the duke of Burgundy, than it would be for me to leverage influence I do not yet have in the empire.
    Marcello: and your Majesty would no doubt benefit from the income generated from Bordeaux
    Charles: you are asking for a favour from me, Monseigneurs. But your agreement benefits neither me nor Bohemia. If you or your Gran Consiglio do not like it, then perhaps we should rather reach out to the Genoese... *trails off dramatically*

*cut to Woodstock Palace* *Anne Neville is sitting up in bed*
    Warwick: *disapprovingly* a daughter! What use is a daughter, Anne? Such a hideous rat of a girl instead of a fat healthy son!
    Anne: *looks almost terrified of her father* *one almost wonders if this wasn't his reaction to not having a son of his own?*
    Edward of Westminster: *arriving at doorway with his mother* Milord Warwick, that is enough!
    Warwick: *turns to see Edward standing there*
    *as Marguerite d'Anjou enters the room with Eleanor Talbot, Dowager Duchess of Somerset, we see that Margaret's not exactly thrilled with a girl either*
    Marguerite: *to Warwick* leave us.
    Warwick: *looks like he's about to protest*
    Edward: that was not a suggestion, milord.
    Warwick: *bows out, with Lady Somerset*
    Anne: *looks even more frightened as she's left alone with Marguerite and Edward*
    Marguerite: *gently takes the baby from Anne and looks down at her* *then touches the side of Anne's face reassuringly* you are both still young enough that sons will follow.
    Edward: *half-a-smirk as he kisses his daughter's forehead* they said I couldn't have children...and I made you, m'petit Nanette, Dame Royal d'Angleterre [10] [11]

*fade to black*

[1] mass in honour of the Seven Sorrows of the Virgin (nowadays celebrated on September 15, but pre-Pius X's reform of the calendar, celebrated the two Fridays before Pentecost since the Synod of Cologne in 1423).
    The Seven Sorrows are:
    • The prophecy of Simeon (Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also...)
    • The flight into Egypt
    • The loss of the Child Jesus in the Temple
    • Mary meeting Jesus on the way to the Crucifixion
    • Jesus' Crucifixion
    • Jesus' removal from the Cross
    • The burial of Jesus
    [2] Warwick's city home
    [3] 1 November
    [4] the man is born in 1399 and two years away from death, pretty safe to call him "ancient"
    [5] also born in 1399, died in 1474 OTL
    [6] per my bio of Titian, while the Doge was often spoken of as "Serene Highness" in English translations of the correspondence, the actually style was "His Serenity". Not sure how true this is, but it was an interesting style
    [7] Borso d'Este. He had a lot of enemies OTL as well. Him being murdered isn't particularly difficult
    [8] Galeazzo Sforza
    [9] Louis XI did support Milan against Venice
    [10] anecdote told about both Louis XV and Louis XVI when presented with their first born children (who were also girls). Dame Royal (Lady Royal) was a title anecdotally given by Edward III to his eldest daughter, Isabella of Woodstock. Given that the little girl is born at the same place, to an Edward, why not let this be the origin of TTL "Princess Royal"?
    [11] I realize that both Marguerite d'Anjou and Edward of Westminster's reactions perhaps seem "muted" given that both probably hoped for a son (as much as Warwick did). However, Marguerite's mother and grandmother (Isabelle, Duchess of Lorraine and Yolande d'Aragon) were formiddable women in their own right. As to Edward's reaction, aside from Philippe III of Burgundy refusing to attend his only granddaughter's christening (because it was only for a girl), there's no contemporary evidence that kings viewed daughters with such disdain. Edward IV certainly didn't behave poorly towards his wife because her first three children were girls, George of Clarence, who is always shown as a drunk and an idiot, didn't beat Isabelle because her first child was born dead and her second was a girl. Even Louis XI seems to have shown a remarkable sangfroid attitude towards his eldest two surviving children being girls, same could be said for Charles the Bold- while the latter didn't educate Marie to be duchess, he didn't go James V and say "came with a girl, will go with a girl".

Last edited:
    Tolle Moras; Semper Nocuit Differre Paratis [1]
  • Soundtrack: Michael Praetorius - Ballet des Anglois à 4

*exterior* *London*
    *interior* *Coldharbour House* *Edward IV is sprawled in a chair listening to Isabel Neville* *the expression on his face is absolute boredom* *like he just wants this to be over*
    Edward IV: and your father has written this to you
    Isabel Neville: that he is willing to trade certain information to your Majesty? Not in so many words, no. But he is willing to release certain information-
    Edward IV: and his price
    Isabel: must we talk of such banalities, sire?
    Edward IV: when your father is involved: always.
    Isabel: he wishes to once more enjoy your Majesty’s favour. That we may…forget this recent unhappiness between our families.
    Edward IV: need I remind you, sister, that it was your father who caused this unhappiness. Not I. Were it not for your father, your daughter should be a princess rather than buried in Calais.
    Isabel: *looks pained at the reminder*
    Edward IV: if your father wishes to…forget…then we must both forget.
    Isabel: and were he to…forget?
    Edward IV: then I should clasp him to my bosom like the beloved uncle I have always regarded him as.
    Isabel: *seems mollified*
    Edward IV: of course, I would have a…price of my own *smiles at her*
    Isabel: *looks at him coolly* and I would not pay it for all the gold in Christendom, sire. You have a wife- as repugnant as my father may find her.
    Edward IV: you think so little of me, sister?
    Isabel: your Majesty forgets that I have known you since I was a little girl. I know all about your…habits.
    Edward IV: my price is nothing of the sort, if that sets your mind at ease. I would not scandalize George so.
    Isabel: then what is your Majesty’s price.
    Edward IV: soldiers from the Neville estates are to lay down their arms. Neville allies are to fight under the banner of York.
    Isabel: *finishes* and my niece for Prince Edward. As my father proposes.
    Edward IV: *frowns* why would I want that instead of some foreign princess. In fact, I seem to recall that your father’s repugnance to the queen was due to the fact she was not a foreign princess.
    Isabel: his repugnance was because of her family, sire.
    Edward IV: ah, yes, the greedy mob that got their hooks into me? He behaves as though I acted like Henry III…when, aside from the Earldom I bestowed on my late father-in-law- the father-in-law your father executed, sister- what have the Wydevilles received from my bounty? Your father is the premier earl in all England, I made your cousin a duke, I offered his hand to my own daughter[2]. I made your uncle a marquess after I gave Northumberland back to the Percys…your uncle is archbishop of York- and I’ve added my recommendation to the pope that should he be of a mind to create him a cardinal, I would not find it objectionable- so…in light of such benevolences, what have the Wydevilles received?
    Isabel: your Majesty is well aware that that is not the sole cause
    Edward IV: how could I be remiss in remembering that[3]? But that is not what your father says he objects to. For then he would look as greedy and vindictive as he accuses me of being. As to his request that I create him a duke[4], I will say to him what I have said on this matter before…he will end as the last duke of Warwick, with only daughters. I have no desire to double the inheritance squabble between the Beauchamps and the Berkeleys[5].
    Isabel: be that as it may, sire, when the house of York defeats Lancaster-
    Edward IV: you esteem your brother [in-law]’s chance of victory so low?
    Isabel: I am a woman, I know nothing of military strategy, sire- but when that defeat occurs, early or late, my brother will flee abroad. Whether to Scotland, Denmark or back to France is of little consequence-
    Edward IV: you behave as though he would not take your sister with you?
    Isabel: did your Majesty take the queen with you?
    Edward IV: touché, madam
    Isabel: my mother and sister will likely make for the nearest abbey.
    Edward IV: I imagine they will likely remain with Queen Margaret…who will…naturally…accompany her son in his flight.
    Isabel: why would she care about my sister or her granddaughter? Abroad, she can use the same connections in Rome that she wishes to leverage for a cardinal’s hat for my uncle, to procure an annulment. Chancellor Wenlock regards it as sufficiently likely. It would allow Prince Edward to remarry and father a son.
    Edward IV: but say his Holiness- the same pope who granted the dispensation- were to prove…difficult to persuade. And the prince were to remain united with your sister.
    Isabel: *smirks* then my niece would remain as Edward’s only child. My niece is the only heiress of King Henry. She cannot be queen, but she would be heiress to the Bohun inheritance- such as remains-
    Edward IV: and why would I anger Milord Buckingham so by settling that on a child?
    Isabel: my niece is already the Princess Zellandine[6] awash with suitors.
    Edward IV: no doubt Lady Wiltshire[7] is first among them.
    Isabel: Queen Margaret was already in talks with King John [of Aragon] and the duke of Burgundy for…if my sister had not survived childbirth…with either the Princess Joan or the duke’s daughter for the new princess of Wales. She likely already has the dauphin or your Majesty’s nephew, the count of Charolais, picked out as a possible groom. And Charolais would serve much the same purpose of uniting York and Lancaster-
    Edward IV: of course, this would hinge entirely on your sister not producing a son.
    Isabel: my father suggested your Majesty should use that as the…spurs to your horse.

*fade to black*

[1] Make haste – delay has always harmed those who are prepared (the motto of Albrecht II, King of Germany, and according to some sources, the official Habsburg motto)
    [2] George Neville, duke of Bedford, betrothed to Elizabeth of York
    [3] Essentially, the feud with the Wydevilles predates Edward IV’s reign and goes back to John, Duke of Bedford’s regency of France. Elizabeth Wydeville’s father had been the duke of Bedford’s chamberlain, when Warwick’s father-in-law was seeking the post of Captain of Calais in 1428. Richard Wydeville, Lowis John, Warden of the Mint, and Richard Bokeland, Treasurer of Calais, teamed up to petition the duke of Bedford to not appoint the earl of Warwick to the post. Then Wydeville turned on his two co-conspirators and threw them to the wolves. While this happened the year of the Kingmaker’s birth, it’s not unthinkable that his father-in-law remained sore about this for the rest of his life (people have been known to harbour grudges for longer over far less).
    [4] There’s some indication that this was what Warwick actually wanted OTL
    [5] One of England’s longest running lawsuits: 1417-1609
    [6] The Sleeping Beauty-type character of the medieval romance Perceforest (only published in 1528, but in common circulation since 1340)
    [7] Margaret Beaufort

But With As Great Devotion Meet
  • October 1471

Soundtrack: Pierre Attaingnant - Pavane

*exterior* *Bristol* *we see Richard of Gloucester and his army attempting to take the city* *only to find the city refuse to acknowledge them* *in fact, one of the soldiers on the wall turns around and drops his trousers telling the duke of Gloucester to “kiss my arse”*
    *next thing we see that soldier lying prone, with an arrow shaft protruding from his buttock*

*exterior* *Pamplona* *the Courtyard of the Cour des Comptes* *there is a vicious fight going on* *looks more like a beatdown between two gangs*

*exterior* *Valencia* *King Juan II of Aragon is out hunting with his son and younger daughter when he receives a letter* *he opens it and reads it* *frowns*
    ernando, King of Sicily: what is it, father?
    Juan II: there has been a fight in Pamplona.
    Fernando: the Agramontese and the Beaumontese again?
    Juan II: only now not only is the Marshal of Navarre[1] dead but he managed to slit the Constable of Navarre’s[2] throat before he departed this life. *we see his face twists into a scowl at the news*

*exterior* *Lancastrian court at Oxford* *a messenger in papal livery passes through the court* *cut to Prince Edward removing the archbishop’s mitre from the head of George Neville, Archbishop of York, and replacing it with a crimson galero[3]*
    Thomas, 2e Baron Stanley[4]: my congratulations, Milord Warwick, on your brother’s elevation.
    Warwick the Kingmaker: my gratitude, Lord Stanley.
    Stanley: truly your family is to be congratulated in succeeding on reaching so high…cardinal in the family, the future queen.
    Warwick: *says nothing*
    Stanley: *quietly* although I would warn you that rumours could once more spread that you intend to change sides again, sir
    Warwick: *glares at him* is that a threat, in your words, sir?
    Stanley: no threat. One of such humble stock as myself wouldn’t dream of daring to advise someone as great as yourself. However, my brother writes me that King Edward has indicated himself…favourable…towards your daughter, the duchess of Clarence’s entreaties.
    Warwick: and what has she entreated of him?
    Stanley: you should ask King Edward that. That King Edward, not this King Edward- *looks at the prince of Wales*
    Warwick: he is not king, yet, sir
    Stanley: in short time, he will be- if the rumours are true.
    Warwick: more rumour and superstition, Lord Stanley?
    Stanley: there are those that say the reason the king is not here is because he has suffered an attack of his illness once more. That the news of your granddaughter’s birth broke his…sensitive…health.
    Warwick: *tightly* what a ridiculous rumour.
    Stanley: my apologies, Milord, I did not mean to speculate on the state of the king’s health. I simply thought it a more…likely…explanation of either his Majesty’s nor his wife’s non-attendance than the other option-
    Warwick: if that is the more sensible of the two options, I can’t imagine what the discarded version was.
    Stanley: the voice goes that you and the prince have…fallen out, Milord. That their Majesties’ refusing to attend this ceremony is in indication of their displeasure.
    Warwick: *stares woodenly ahead*
    Stanley: but, I said to myself, if Milord Warwick had reached so high, there are many jackals at court who would only relish the opportunity to tear him down. *looks pointedly at both Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Wiltshire, and her son, the earl of Richmond, and then at John Beaufort, Earl of Dorset* which leaves the other option
    Warwick: why should the king be present at something as simple as the elevation of my brother? King Edward was not at his enthronement at York. Was that perhaps an indication of his displeasure?[5]
    Stanley: of course not, milord. I didn’t mean to imply-
    Warwick: then you should know, Lord Stanley, that if rumours were to get out that you are speculating on his Majesty’s health, then have no doubt that those jackals of whom you spoke will devour you as well as I, for even entertaining the idea that the king is not in the very best of health.

*exterior* *Rome* *Pope Paul II is circling a statue of a Roman emperor like he was a hyaena in a past life* *his camerlengo, Cardinal Latino Orsini, is watching him closely*
    Paul II: and they found this in the Forum?
    Orsini: yes, Holiness. Alongside the column of Trajan.
    Paul II: *looks at the face* it doesn’t look like Trajan
    Orsini: it’s believed to be the Emperor Titus, Holiness.
    Paul II: *quotes Titus* Kind Rome, that hast thoust lovingly reserved the cordial of mine age to glad my heart!
    Orsini: *discreetly rolls his eyes like “these damned Venetians”*
    Paul II: *snaps back into reality* we would bring all of these works together, under one roof.
    Orsini: these works, Holiness?
    Paul II: statues, Orsini. Rome is full of reminders of her imperial glory, and yet, nothing is done about them.
    Orsini: you wish to have them brought together to be destroyed?
    Paul II: no! *shocked face poking over Titus’ shoulder* I wish to preserve them for posterity. *grins* remind those Medici with their *puts on “posh” accent* Accademia who the true heirs of Rome are.
    Orsini: it might be seen as sacrilegious, Holiness, for a pope to take such interest in pagan Rome. Given that many of her emperors are responsible for creating many of the church’s martyrs.
    Paul II: and wasn’t Constantine a Roman emperor when he lifted our holy church from squalor? *fiercely* if Borgia were here, he’d understand this.
    Orsini: but he’s in Spain, Holiness. Trying to convince the king of Castile to accept the king of Sicily as son-in-law. *side mouth as he looks at Titus* and you, Majesty, had the right idea of what to do with his sort[6] .
    Paul II: Cardinal Orsini, when a man collects works of art, we do not call him an idolater but we praise his taste. That is all I wish to do. These are works of art, reminders of our history that…we have too often forgotten.
    Orsini: of course sir.
    Paul II: *spreads arms* do you think Titus or Marcus Aurelius would recognize Rome as she now stands? The Tiber flows through a marble wilderness?
    Orsini: *silent*
    Paul II: and we must see if we can do something about the Tiber
    Orsini: do, Holiness?
    Paul II: the flooding. The stench and the disease that follow the flooding drying out.
    Orsini: *desperately trying to change the subject* the courier of the cardinal’s hat you sent to England has written with news, Holiness.
    Paul II: *almost indifferent* and what news has he?
    Orsini: the first is that the duchess of Burgundy has suffered a miscarriage[7]. Another boy, this one of around three and a half months, as the physicians do judge.
    Paul II: *crosses himself*
    Orsini: the second bit of news is that there is suspicion that King Henry’s wits have failed him once more. He was not present for either Cardinal Neville’s elevation, nor for his granddaughter’s christening on the feast of Saint Ursula[8].
    Paul II: are we sure it is his wits and not something mundane as-
    Orsini: he apparently keeps insisting that the Princess of Wales gave birth to a son, Holy Father.
    Paul II: then England has two kings, two queens, a jack and- *sighs to the statue of Titus* if only someone would’ve left out the fool.

*fade to black*

[1] Pedro I, Marshal of Navarre, leader of the Agramontese, was murdered in the courtyard of the Cour des Comptes OTL
    [2] Luiz III, Conde de Lérin (as well as Juan’s son-in-law via his bastard daughter Leonor, since 1468), both the man who murdered Pedro OTL and the leader of the Beaumontese. OTL, he died in 1508. Here, he leaves an infant son.
    [3] The broad-brimmed hat of cardinals
    [4] While Stanley is associated with the Yorkists, that was actually William (until after Tewkesbury). During the Readeption, Thomas, was in Lancastrian employ
    [5] Actually it was. The feast that was given by the Nevilles to celebrate George’s enthronement was royal in scale, and it certainly peeved Edward off. Was just one of the many “missteps” Warwick made
    [6] i.e. Marranos (Spanish Jews), referencing Titus’ siege and destruction of Jerusalem
    [7] Per King Louis XI’s own correspondence, there are oblique references to Margaret of York having been ill at some point in mid-1471, with Louis suggesting that she will remain ill for a few months yet. But then around autumn 1471, he stops mentioning it. Either indicating that she was found not to be pregnant or that she had suffered a miscarriage.
    [8] October 21. I went back and forth on this, since a week earlier (October 13) is the Feast of Saint Edward the Confessor (cue obvious connections), but settled on Ursula. Why? Ursula was – per tradition – an English princess

Departing Thus You’ll Hear Him Say...
  • October 1471

Soundtrack: Innsbruck, ich muß dich lassen

*exterior* *Bristol* *we see Richard, Duke of Gloucester leading men through the city’s postern gate* *the man waits expectantly waits for payment when Richard tells one of his men to “pay him”* *next thing we see the man slump against the wall, then leave a smear of blood*

*exterior* *title card shows Colnbrook* *King Edward IV surveys the result as he receives the Lancastrian surrender from the wounded Earl of Wiltshire*

*interior* *Oxford* *a servant brings Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Wiltshire the news that she is a widow* *we see her clutch her chest, as though in pain, and stagger towards the wall where she bends over, sobbing[1]*

*interior* *Woodstock Palace* *Edward, Prince of Wales marks on the map that Bristol is now Yorkist, and that Edward has now defeated them at Brentford*
    Edward: *sighing* *to a servant* send word for the Earl of Warwick that he is to take to the field.
    John Beaufort, Earl of Dorset: *opens his mouth to protest*
    Edward: silence, John. The earl of Warwick is to lead our forces until we are able to resume command.
    Dorset: your Highness, I must pro-
    Edward: our most beloved cousin, while I have no doubt to your military capabilities, you have no experience fighting against the earl of March-
    Jasper Tudor, Earl of Pembroke: nor does Milord Warwick
    Edward: no...but he has fought with him. That is many times more dangerous. *aside to the audience* then we shall have proof of his treachery. *to Pembroke* I wish for you to confront the duke of Gloucester, he has landed at Bristol. He will advance to his city next. *Dorset* and I wish for you to face my brother of Clarence. He has been sent to Winchester to flank the earl of March's foray into the Thames Valley, towards us.

*cut to Innsbruck* *Emperor Friedrich and his son, Maximilian, as well as Archduke Sigismund and his wife, are turned out to receive Charles, King of Bohemia, Duc de Berri* *the king of Bohemia and Diepold Lobkowitz ride towards them* *on meeting, Berri- in black velvet and pearls- sweeps off his hat and makes a deep bow*
    Berri: your Majesty.*about to kneel and kiss Friedrich’s hand*
    Friedrich III: *we see Friedrich’s otherwise passive face shift slightly before he raises Berri up and kisses him on both cheeks* my king and my brother, be welcome in our dominions
    Berri: it is for us a great honour to render our homage to the august emperor to whom we are so greatly indebted for this honour he has chosen to bestow upon us *offers the hat to Maximilian* we offer this as a humble gift in gratitude of such a fortuitous meeting, your Highness[2]
    Maximilian: *looks at his father*
    Friedrich: *clearly counting how much the pearls on the hat will fetch* *nods his agreement*
    Maximilian: *looks at Charles de Berri s one might a favourite uncle*

*cut to interior* *Friedrich, Sigmund and Charles are seated at a banquet*
    Berri: my felicitations, to his Highness for lately welcoming a son into the world.
    Sigmund: *nods in acceptance*
    Friedrich: and my condolences to your brother of Burgundy to have lost a son *looks at Maximilian and Kunigunde*
    Sigmund: of course, double doleur for his Highness, given the other news of which it is best not to speak
    Berri: what other news?
    Sigmund: your Highness had not heard?
    Berri: your face, milord makes me believe a funeral is in prospect.
    Friedrich: he refers to the breaking of your betrothal to the duke of Burgundy’s daughter.
    Berri: *clearly doing his best to mask his surprise* it was conditional on my acceptance of the Bohemian throne. That I was to wed King Podebrady’s daughter-
    Friedrich: ah *nods* then it was you who suggested her marriage to the duke of Lorraine[3]?
    Berri: no, Majesty...last I had heard, he was still engaged to my niece.
    Sigmund: *credulously* so the duke of Burgundy was the one to break faith then- both with you, sir, and with your brother.
    Friedrich: can anyone claim surprise? The man is brother-in-law to King Edward but has made no secret of his support for King Henry.
    Berri: and now he betrothes his daughter to Queen Marguerite’s nephew-
    Sigmund: and his son to her granddaughter.
    Berri: then it is a granddaughter then?
    Friedrich: that is what the official announcement read. Although one could see the letters were drafted when they believed it would still be a boy- at least that is what my secretary tells me. *suddenly* have you given any thought to your arrival in Prague, sir? This recent…unpleasantness with King Matthias in Hungary might suggest it would be prudent to tarry awhile.
    Berri: unpleasantness?
    Sigmund: most unpleasant. It has come to light in the last few weeks that there was a great conspiracy among the Hungarian nobility who planned to be rid of the king.
    Berri: is that so?
    Sigmund: yes. Most grave. *nods seriously* the chancellor- Cardinal Vitez- was plotting with the Queen of Poland- who, as you know, detests King Matthias- to see one of her sons on the throne.
    Berri: and the king?
    Friedrich: he was saved- by, of all things, a hunting accident- one of the co-conspirators mistook hearing the king had fallen from his horse for that the king was dead, and went through the streets crying “Long live King Ladislaus” or Kasimir or…whichever of her sons she planned to put on the throne of her dear departed brother. –King Matthias- who only broke his arm- had the man arrested and he proved…only too eager to name his fellow plotters.
    *heavy silence hangs in the air*
    Berri: I am touched by your Majesty’s concern for my well-being, but I feel that to delay my departure to Prague even a day, might give further rise to discontent among the Bohemians. After all, if a cardinal were to have been involved, even the pope blessing my crown might not be assurance enough.

*next morning* *Berri and his retinue set off*
    Friedrich: what a bold idiot.
    Maximilian: *still wearing the hat* Father?
    Friedrich: he rides to his certain doom- but, so long as he sends the five thousand soldiers he promised before he has the misfortune to die, he will have served his purpose admirably. [4]

*fade to black*

[1] I’m sorry, I don’t buy Call-Me-Doctor Gregory’s depiction of Margaret Beaufort that she’s this cold-hearted bitch who spent her life at prayer. She may have been pious and ambitious, but her treatment of her son and grandchildren shows a far softer side.
    [2] Berri announces that he would render homage, but doesn’t actually do so- which, to Friedrich’s mind, already makes him “better” than both Philippe of Burgundy (who refused to do homage in 1448 and 1455) as well as Charles the Bold. Likewise, his garb- simple, if expensive- and lack of entourage aside from Lobkowitz, is less unsettling than the Burgundians who came dressed to the nines and with a quasi-imperial cavalcade.
    On Berri’s part, this “debasing” has its purpose as well. He needs to pass through Friedrich III’s lands in order to arrive in Prague, and given the accusation that the man murdered his rival/predecessor, Ladislaus the Posthumous, Berri treats him as he would Louis XI: watchful and wary.
    An important thing to remember is that unlike Charles the Bold, Berri is an intrigant not arrogant- I have no delusions that he could be arrogant- but Burgundy’s arrogance was born from being an only son and a powerful ruler. Berri’s neither.
    [3] Nicolas d’Anjou. While OTL, the match was only changed up due to Berri's death, given that Isabel Neville has mentioned Marguerite d'Anjou opening negotiations for Marie (should Anne have died in childbirth), I doubt Charles the Bold would pass up a better opportunity. Why Nicolas? As mentioned, he's Marguerite's nephew, while a match with Edward of Westminster's daughter is desirable, it's also an age of uncertainty in childhood (see Friedrich's own remark). Nicolas-Marie can get married within the next year.
    [4] the amount of soldiers- and a Crusade against the Turk- was actually what Friedrich wanted from Charles the Bold in September 1471, when offering him a higher crown. Charles refused any higher crown except that of king of the Romans. And even encouraged Friedrich to abdicate his "more onerous" duties. Here, Charles de Berri gives Friedrich a "more naïve" alternative to both Matyas/Charles the Bold. As pointed out above, Berri doesn't have Charles' power to refuse. He simply smiles, nods and is on his way. After all, that promise gives the emperor a reason to permit his departure, since I doubt Berri's entourage is even 500 men at arms, much less 5000

Aultre Naray [1]
  • To all my readers, my apologies for it being late:

November 1471

Soundtrack: Josquin des Prez - Missa Hercules Dux Ferrariae - Sanctus

*exterior* *Charles de Guienne finally arrives in Prague* *we see him riding into the town with his little band of followers* *he looks at the people* *they look at him*
    Charles: not exactly the warm welcome we were informed would await us, Lobkowicz

*exterior* *Cheriton Wood, England, night* *George, Duke of Clarence and his army is ambushed by Jasper Tudor, Earl of Pembroke and his forces*

*exterior* *Castle of Sandenberg, Veere* *we see Charles the Bold walking with a man in cleric's robes* *they're clearly in deep conversation* *we see Charles glancing into the next room where Marie of Burgundy, Philipp of Cleves and the young comte de Charolais are playing* *an older unfamiliar young man is with them*
    Charles: and things go no different in England. First this way, then that. My wife's brother of Clarence- by some miracle- managed to defeat the Lancastrians at Cheriton Wood. The earl of Pembroke and sixty of his men are once more captive of King Edward.
    Cleric: there is no hope to be found in the earl of Warwick's victory at Newburgh [Newbury]?
    Charles: *sourly* what victory? Warwick managed to stop the Yorkists from marching westwards- but there's no honour in it, King Edward was not with his men- and, in all likelihood, his advance, if he can't go west to meet up with the duke of Gloucester advancing Bristol, all three will likely turn northwards and march on Oxford as one.
    Cleric: has your Royal Highness considered the king of France's request now that winter is soon to be here?
    Charles: I refuse to allow King Louis to retain either Amiens or Saint-Quentin, Tolentis [2].
    Tolentis: of course, your Royal Highness.
    Charles: the duc de Guienne has sent Monsieur d'Ursé to me.
    Tolentis: your Royal Highness talks of the king of Bohemia?
    Charles: he is the duc de Guienne until he manages to stay his arse on the throne and keep a knife from his gizzard.
    Tolentis: was Monsieur d'Ursé here about the moneys that the king of Bohemia owes you?
    Charles: that too. And to inform me that he will be unable to make full restitution immediately. Apparently he got hornswoggled into agreeing to provide troops for the emperor.
    Tolentis: he agreed to the project for a Crusade in Hungary?
    Charles: you knew of this?
    Tolentis: I had heard whispers of it, sir. Nothing concrete. When I was sent from Rome, the idea was still an embryo.
    Charles: the emperor is a fool.
    Tolentis: *chiding* then your Royal Highness is criticizing not only the emperor, but his Holiness as well...since it is his Holiness' fondest ambition for a crusade to recover Constantinople from the Turk
    Charles: *bows head in contrition* your Grace must accept my apologies, I was unaware.
    Tolentis: the pope envisions an alliance of our native Venice, Hungary, Bohemia, the emperor, as well as Naples and the kingdoms of Spain...Cardinal Borgia has left the Castilian court, although he was unable to convince King Henry that the king of Sicily would be a far better match for the Infanta than the French king's nephew, a child of d'Armagnac [3] and Mademoiselle du Maine. The king has agreed to join the alliance.
    Charles: is there a reason why he believes an Armagnac traitor would be more useful?
    Tolentis: simply that he doesn't believe the king of Aragon is serious enough about his offer. There are all sorts of...vagaries the king of Castile is not happy with.
    Charles: naturally.
    Tolentis: if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion to your Royal Highness.
    Charles: if this is about receiving that cur, Nardini's missives from King Louis again [4]-
    Tolentis: hardly...I completely understand your Royal Highness' objections towards the man. neither his Holiness nor I are in any doubt that his master, the duke of Milan is responsible for the murder of poor Nicholas' uncle, Duke Borso *looks at Niccolo d'Este [5] with Marie and Philipp of Cleves*
    Charles: *nods*
    Tolentis: rather...I was going to suggest that your Royal Highness offer the troops to the emperor for his crusade.
    Charles: and why would I spare troops that I need?
    Tolentis: it would relieve the king of Bohemia of his obligations towards the emperor, and be a gesture of good faith now that the Princesse Marie is betrothed to her cousin in Lorraine. And it would convince the emperor of your Royal Highness' sincere wish for friendship to smoothe matters over between two great potentates as yourselves, without needing to recourse to such lows as the king of France obliges you to.
    Charles: and what would convincing the emperor of my friendship win me?
    Tolentis: gratitude, I am sure, sir. And gratitude is simply the delayed hope of more favours yet to come.

*that night* *Charles in his study attaches his signature to a document* *followed by Tolentis, Chancellor Hugonet, the duke's lieutenant, Seigneur d'Humbercourt, Philipp of Cleves, Lord of Ravenstein and Niccolo d'Este*
    *the camera zooms in on the document's phrasing*
    Charles: *V/O* qu'aucun n'est le plus véritable héritier de la maison de Lancastre que Charles, duc de Bourgogne, etc etc etc [6] [7]

*fade to black*

[1] the motto of Philippe the Good (and also, the original motto of the Order of the Golden Fleece). An abbreviation of "Aultre naray, tost ou tard vienne" (I shall accept no other, sooner or later, it will happen/I will get it)
    [2] Lucas de Tolentis, Bishop of Šibenik (Knin), papal legate to Burgundy,, and per R.J. Walsh's article, Diplomatic Aspects of Charles the Bold's Relations with the Holy See,
    He won the friendship and admiration of several of the legates and he sought to enlist their help in advancing his interests. Lucas de Tolentis, for instance, became convinced of the duke's greatness and religious devotion, and he took it upon himself to advise Sixtus IV to do everything necessary to retain the duke's goodwill
    [3] the consideration of this match is actually OTL. Jean V d'Armagnac was holed up in Castile and also, Juana la Beltraneja's godfather.
    [4] Charles felt Stefano Nardini, archbishop of Milan, the other papal legate, was too biased towards King Louis. He felt the same about Cardinal Bessarion and Andrea dei Spiriti (who'd negotiated Franco-Burgundian affairs in 1467-1468). That they favoured France or the duke of Milan over Burgundian interests. De Spiriti even excommunicated Charles on behalf of King Louis, although the pope disregarded this as he hadn't given his approval for such tactics
    [5] OTL, Francesco d'Este, illegitimate son of Leonello d'Este, was in Burgundy. Given the murder of his uncle for being too "pro-Venetian" and "anti-Milanese", Niccolo hightailing it to his half-brother in Burgundy doesn't actually sound that crazy.
    [6] that none is a truer heir to the house of Lancaster than Charles, Duke of Burgundy, etc etc etc.
    [7] Charles actually signed a document that said this on November 3, 1471 (although the witnesses were d'Humbercourt and Hugonet and two unnamed notaries). It's now in the archives of the house of Croy at the Chateau de Beaumont:
    It was expressly stipulated that if there were any delay in the duke's entering upon his English inheritance—which devolved to him through his mother,—a delay caused by motives of public utility of Christendom, and of the House of Burgundy, this should not prejudice his rights or those of his successors. A mere deferring of assuring the titles, etc., brought no prejudice to his rights.

To Ride A-Cock-Horse to Banbury Cross [1]
  • November 1471

Soundtrack: John Dunstaple - Gaude Virgo Katherina [2]

*Cropredy Bridge* *the earl of Warwick and the 2e Baron Saye and Sele [3] is leading the Lancastrian army in a clash with the Yorkists, led by the earl of Essex's heir and Edward IV's brother-in-law, Viscount Bourchier [4] and his brother, Lord Cromwell [5]*

*cut to Woodstock Palace* *Edward of Westminster is walking outside with his father* *clearly gently leading him through the gardens*
    Henry VI: autumn is late this year.
    Edward: and the winter will come quicker and harsher yet for it...still...at least Milord Warwick has won at Banbury
    Henry VI: *looks panicked* *grips Edward's arm tighter* *he looks like he's about to cry* he has beaten our forces?
    Edward: *patiently* no father...the earl of Warwick is on our side. He has beaten the earl of March's army.
    Henry VI: he's on our side?
    Edward: yes, father. He was the one to release you from your imprisonment in the Tower.
    Henry VI: why?
    Edward: because the man is like a metaphor: Yorkist one minute, against them the next, and only God in his infinite wisdom knows what is going on in that devious little head
    Henry VI: blasphemy! My son will soon see to you for such talk!
    Edward: *clearly pained at this lack of recognition from his father* of course, your Majesty. How is he? The prince of Wales?
    Henry VI: he is in France with his mother.
    Edward: I had heard he's come back. They have both returned.
    Henry VI: *shakes head* then why hasn't he come to see me?
    Edward: *gently* perhaps he is nearer than you think, Majesty *we see John Wenlock approach* what is it, John?
    Wenlock: your Highness, an answer has come from Brittany regarding the duke's marriage.
    Edward: *kisses Henry's cheeks* dear God, hang restoration on my lips and let this kiss repair such violent harms...to cure the jarred senses of this child-changed father [5]. *leaves a confused-looking Henry in the care of a page*

*cut to interior* *Marguerite d'Anjou and Edward are both sitting in front of the fireplace*
    Marguerite: Edward, be reasonable.
    Edward: I am being reasonable, mother. We are isolated. The duke of Brittany is asking for a match with us-
    Marguerite: he is asking for a match with the Yorks.
    Edward: it is the same thing, Mother.
    Marguerite: you would have him father a child by a York girl. A child who can threaten your throne?
    Edward: *half smirks* Milady Exeter is nearly the same age as our Lord was when he was crucified [6]. And the duke of Burgundy's mother was even older when she became a bride, yet she was still able to have a child.
    Marguerite: *opens mouth to speak*
    Edward: especially since Milady Exeter is due to be a grandmother in short order. Isabel has written to Anne with the news that Lady Huntingdon [7]
    Marguerite: and what makes you think that the duke of Brittany will accept her?
    Edward: he would not be requesting a match with England otherwise. After all, the earl of March's eldest daughter is too young and there are no other daughters save Nanette [8]
    Marguerite: the dowager duchess of Burgundy has written suggesting a match between her grandson and your daughter.
    Edward: until I have a son, the only match I will consider for Nanette is with the King of Scots' newborn son. And so...we come back to Milady Exeter as duchess of Brittany.
    Marguerite: what inclines you to believe she will accept it?
    Edward: *smirks again* simple...both her brother and myself are in agreement that she will marry the duke. I see no reason to stand in the way of such a match.

*cut to chapel at Winchester Palace* *title card says "one month later"* *Cardinal Neville, Archbishop of York, assisted by William Waynflete [9] are waiting at the head of the church with the Breton ambassador to perform the proxy marriage of Anne of York, Dowager Duchess of Exeter* *in the pews, representing the Yorkists, are Thomas Grey, Earl of Huntingdon and Anne's pregnant namesake daughter, Anne Holland* [10]
    *Edward of Westminster is the one to give Anne of York away* *we drop in on the conversation between them midway*
    Edward: Madam, I could not do more for my own daughter
    Anne: *clearly peeved* I should've hoped you'd have done more for your cousin's widow, sir.
    *cut to the end of the service* *Edward kisses Anne's cheeks before climbing onto his horse* *Cardinal Neville is already mounted on his donkey*
    Edward: farewell, madam...possibly forever. But should we ever meet again...I hope you will find me much the same. That you will think of me and say...he wasn't altogether bad.

*fade to black as he spurs his horse away before she can respond*

[1] Banbury is near Cropredy Bridge, which, in turn, is near Warwick Castle
    [2] Rejoice, Virgin Catherine, for the feast of Saint Catherine of Alexandria on November 25
    [3] William Fiennes, 2e Baron Saye and Sele
    [3] husband of Anne Wydeville, heir of the earl of Essex
    [4] no relation of either Thomas or Oliver, but rather the earl of Essex's second son and husband of the heiress to the barony of Cromwell. which became extinct on his death at the battle of Barnet OTL. Ironically, both the 3e Baron Cromwell and the 1e Baron Saye and Sele had served as Lord Treasurer of England. As did the earl of Essex. To make it more complicated is that 3e Baron Cromwell's elder sister, Maud, was married to Warwick the Kingmaker's little brother
    [5] Cordelia's lines from King Lear, Act IV, Scene 7.
    [6] thirty-three. Anne of York, Dowager Duchess of Exeter, would be thirty-two as of August 1471. Isabel of Portugal was 33yo when she married Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy. And she still had three kids before hitting forty.
    [7] figure that Edward IV likely named his stepson to the title of Earl of Huntingdon earlier (with his father-in-law being dead and all)
    [8] Edward's daughter
    [9] former chancellor of England and Bishop of Winchester. Why Winchester? It's sort of on the border between what the Yorkists control and the Lancastrians control. In the event of cessation of hostilities for the winter, I could see it being deemed "neutral"
    [10] in short, underlining that this is a joint Yorkist-Lancastrian operation

The Triple Crown
  • @King of Danes @Milites @Jürgen @Atterdag @Zulfurium @Bastiram @Gabingston my attempt to write for Denmark

Soundtrack: Niels Gade - Gefion, op. 54 [1]

11 October 1471

*Brunkeberg* *we see the battlefield strewn with corpses of the slain* *Danish soldiers are moving among the bodies and putting any enemy combattants out of their misery*
    *cut to a tent* *King Christian of Denmark, Norway, and sometimes, Sweden, is sitting there when a man with pale blond hair is brought in*
    Christian: *looks at the blond man* *we see he's missing his front teeth [2]* well, Herr Nils, your cousin is dead, and you are soon to join him...do you wish to depart this life with such a stain as rebelling against your king on your immortal soul? Or do you wish to depart it in peace? I don't need my chaplain to tell you where your brother has already ended up.
    Nils Bosson Sture: *grimacing in pain* there is no stain on my soul, sir. I shall depart this life in peace, knowing that I have done my duty to both my nation and my people.
    Christian: *half amused* what nation is that that I do not rule? You are a rebel, and you have incited rebellion against your lawful king-
    Sture: by no Swedish law.
    Christian: we agreed with the late King Carl that whosoever of us lives longer, he shall succeed [3]
    Sture: but King Carl had no son when he made that agreement
    Christian: and what makes you believe that King Carl's son will survive any longer than his brothers [4]? Nevertheless...perhaps...had you lived...you should've gone to England. No doubt they would've appreciated your...stubborness and defiance...there. After all, you have killed more Swedes in your quest to remove me than you have killed Danes.
    Sture: Sweden will not remain at heel, Christian. We are not Holstein or Schleswig that yip at your heels like dogs and come when you call-
    Christian: nor will I treat you like dogs that have bitten me, as you so rightly deserve.

December 1471

*Stockholm* *King Christian rides in triumphal procession through the streets, followed by his nobles and knights* *penants with the three crowns flutter on the tips of lances*
    *cut to the Storkyrkan where we see the Archbishop of Uppsala, Jakob Ulfsson [5], placing the crown on a kneeling Christian's head [6]*
    *cut to the coronation banquet at the Stockholm City Hall [7]*
    Christian: *raises his hand for silence* we are much warmed by your reception of us after this most...unhappy time. We are touched by the displays of loyalty to us and ours. However...it has come to our attention that things are not as they should be.
    *murmuring*
    Christian: we do not mean the urgings and conspirings of the Totts and the Bondes and, dare we say, the Stures. But rather, that we have heard complaints that not only fair Stockholm, but also the great market towns of our kingdom, are obliged to choose such men as are inimical to not only our rule, but to good governance. We speak of that these...evil councillors...are loyal to the Hansa, to the emperor, even to our brother [7] rather than being of good, loyal, local stock.
    *few hasty glances around the hall* *murmuring intensifies*
    Christian: The mayors and aldermen would never wish for Sweden's lords and councils to come to the aid or rescue of the cities, since for such a thing to happen would jeopardize the power they have wrongfully obtained and the corruption that they are so mired in- like pigs swimming in their own filth. This is not only an insult to us but also an insult to our most beloved realm of Sweden [9] since they will gladly risk the lives and property of our most loyal citizens in order to prevent themselves from being removed.
    *several nods from the murmuring hall* *several worried glances*
    Christian: it is our hope, that, now that we are able to put this...unhappy tumult behind us, and that no more will they stand in the way of either our expression of love for this favoured kingdom of ours, or that they will continue to endeavour at such foreign schemes against us.
    *pan out as we see several men cheering* *others are more reserved at the speech*

*cut to Copenhagen* *Christian I steps ashore on the quayside to be met by a man in black*
    Man: *bows* sire, I am sorry to trouble you with such unfortunate news.
    Christian: what is it?
    Man: His Highness...your newborn son...he *swallows* has died.
    Christian: *looks up at sky* God has granted me a great victory and taken my son from me before I ever met him...I should gladly exchange the former to keep the latter

*fade to black*

[1] admittedly not contemporary, but I struggled to find any works from the period (or even associated with the period), and Gefjon/Gefjun is associated with the whole Kalmar Union apparently.
    [2] Christian I sustained this injury at Bunkeberg OTL
    [3] this was agreed at Halmstadt in 1450 already
    [4] Carl II/VIII Bonde had four sons who died in infancy
    [5] he was opposed to the Stures and his appointment saw the passing over of a Bonde candidate. So...while this would not necessarily equal that he's a Christian-loyalist, he has no reason to object to the creation.
    [6] I have no idea if Christian was crowned as king of Sweden at any point. But I could see him going for it- if a pared down ceremony cobbled together in haste to emphasize his position.
    [7] no idea where the official residence was, since Tre Kronor was only from Gustav Vasa's time
    [8] Christian II had removed his brother, Gerhard the Pugnacious, from his duties as count of Oldenburg for conspiring against him in 1469
    [9] these were complaints that were levelled OTL as well- that most city councils/mayors in Sweden were foreigners- Christian's use of the rhetoric questioning their loyalty to the crown (describing them as agents of the Hansa, the emperor or his brother) as well as making them "agents provacateurs" of enemy powers is him appealing to the "patriotic" streak of some rebels (like Sture had). It makes them feel as though they've been "heard", even if he doesn't necessarily plan to do anything about them [10]
    [10] ISTR reading that even by the time of Gustaf Vasa, most government posts were entrusted to Germans simply because there were no Swedes capable of running the bureaucracy.

Last edited:
    Marriages Like Death
  • @BlueFlowwer hope you like your boy Giuliano putting in an appearance:

Soundtrack: Jacob Obrecht - Missa Grecorum - Credo

January 1472

*interior* *Prague* *the new king of Bohemia, Charles de Berri, is pacing a darkened room* *clearly agitated, he's biting his nails* *a servant comes in*
    Servant: Your Majesty is to be congratulated on the birth of another daughter.
    Charles: *seems to relax slightly* and Colette [1]?

*cut to Charles kneeling at the bedside of his beloved mistress, tears staining his face* *she's wan and pale, clearly not long for the world* *she beckons a teenager called "Catherine" over*
    Catherine: oui, grandmère [2]?
    Colette: *harshly* *rasping* *grabs Catherine's hand* I am sorry that I was unable to do more for you and Anne [2] *she looks at a slightly older girl holding a baby who looks about a year* *takes Charles' hand* *looks at him* Charles?
    Charles: oui...?
    Colette: *weakly* look after them
    *while we don't see the actual moment of her demise, we see it as Anne buries her face in the hair of the child in her arms* *Catherine falls to her knees sobbing*

*cut to a black clad funeral procession snaking it's way from the Royal Castle in Prague to the church of Notre Dame des Neiges* *a title card tells us that Charles made a vow to finish the church begun by Emperor Karl IV*

*exterior* *Rome* *there is another, far more colourful procession underway* *it's equally solemn but far more "joyous"* *we see a litter stopping in Saint Peter's Square while the procession continues up the church steps* *then, from behind, a man climbing down from a horse alongside* *we see a woman's hand emerging from the curtains of the litter* *the man takes it* *and the woman steps down*
    Woman: *to the man who's head is as if on a swivel* try to behave yourself, Giuliano.
    Man [aka Giuliano]: *grinning at her* is that why Lorenzo sent you? To act as my jailer, sister?
    Woman: *as they join the procession entering the basilica* Lorenzo sent me because he is a touch busy dealing with the problem in Volterra at the moment.
    Giuliano: and if he doesn't send a representative to Rome, people will talk.
    Woman: people are always going to talk, brother. You might as well give them something to talk about.
    Beadle: her Excellency, the Lady Clarice, Lady of Florence, and the ambassador of the Most Noble Florentine Republic, Giuliano di Piero de Medici.
    Giuliano: and how would you like me to make them talk, sister? *walking up aisle to their places*
    Clarice: *off-handedly as she acknowledges a relative* oh...Lorenzo mentioned that if you were to find a bride-
    Giuliano: *looks at her like a deer in the headlights*
    Clarice: that I should investigate as to her suitability.
    Giuliano: that's why he sent me here?
    Clarice: you should know by now, *taking seat* Lorenzo seldom does thing randomly, Giuliano. Everything serves a purpose. Even his relationship with Donna Lucrezia [3].
    *few moments later, we see the bride, Zoë Palaiologina, being escorted past them to the altar* *on the arm of her brother, Prince Andreas Palaiologos*
    Giuliano: *to Clarice* to speak of mistresses, I heard the king of Bohemia's mistress recently died in childbirth.
    Clarice: *straight faced* it may be for the best.
    Giuliano: *looks at Cardinal Bessarion [4] speaking* this marriage or her death.
    Clarice: Rinaldo [5] told me that while travelling through Italy, the king of Bohemia was making inquiries of his Holiness as to whether it would be possible to marry Madame d'Amboise rather than the late king of Bohemia's daughter. With subsequent legitimation of any child born prior to the marriage-
    Giuliano: *looks at the bride* and now that that obstacle is removed, the marriage can go ahead with no impediments. Everyone is content.
    Clarice: although one can only wonder at the future of a marriage sealed over a funeral bier.
    Giuliano: that is life, Clarice: marriages are like death. The hour and the season are marked. None escapes.

*fade to black*

[1] Colette de Chambes, Dame d'Amboise. As @Zygmunt Stary pointed out, she's not really "high ranked" enough for Louis XI to bother with preventing her from going to Prague
    [2] step-grandmother, actually. Anne and Catherine are the daughters of Colette's stepdaughter, Marguerite d'Amboise, and her de la Trémoïlle husband. Depending on the sources consulted, Anne de la Trémoïlle is anything between 15 and 22yo. Catherine is the last listed of her siblings, with some sources listing her as having died in infancy, others give no dates for her. For the purposes of this TL, she survived.
    Why are the girls in Prague and not Paris? The OTL de la Trémoïlles were a bunch of greedy (one could almost say rapacious) courtiers who went from "cupbearer to the duke of Burgundy" to rivalling the Albrets' for power/influence inside a generation (English equivalents would be the Howards and the Seymours). They're going to seize on the opportunity that they have a king's mistress (even if it's not the king of France's) in the family, and try to wring all they can out of the position. Sending two teenage girls into the household of their (step)grandmother in the hopes that she can arrange good matches for them was standard practice of the day. And, knowing the de la Trémoïlles, they wouldn't be above exploiting Charles' travel to Bohemia in the hopes of securing a match there. They would also (à la duke of Norfolk) not be above pushing Anne/Catherine at a grief-stricken Charles in an attempt to maintain their influence.
    [3] Lucrezia Donati
    [4] I don't know who the actual priest was to perform the marriage, but I don't see why Bessarion couldn't
    [5] Clarice's brother and archbishop of Florence

Venice, Volterra and Worcester
  • Soundtrack: John Cooke - Alma Proles - Christi Miles

February 1472

*Venice* *exterior* *we see the cavalcade of Sophia Palaiologina arriving at the banks of the lagoon* *there is an interesting addition to the party, one Giuliano de Medici* *with him is Sophia's youngest brother, Manuele Palaiologos* *the way they are laughing and joking together, with an occasional discreet eyeroll or a sigh from Sophia, suggests that the pair have become boon companions on the road from Rome*

*Florence* *exterior* *the Palazzo Vecchio* *inside* *we see Lorenzo de Medici walking with Clarice*
    Lorenzo: you let him go on to Venice?
    Clarice: you act as though I am his mother, Lorenzo
    Lorenzo: I said "no" for a reason when he requested permission to do so
    Clarice: last I checked, you are not the pope. And it was hardly as though Giuliano could refuse his Holiness' granting him of safe passage.
    Lorenzo: *grumbles* I will attempt to console myself with that thought when my brother is visiting every whorehouse in Venice: that he is there doing God's work because the pope sent him.
    Clarice: he will go on to Milan from Venice, but you can't fault his reasoning that it might be good to get in with the Venetians...given that their Senate has approved Signore della Volpe's [1] plan ... at worst... being owed a favour by extending a line of credit to the Palaiologos brothers could work in this family's favour.
    Lorenzo: *pinches his nose as if for a headache* if he doesn't get himself killed first. *kisses her cheek before leaving*

*cut to Lorenzo's "office"* *he's behind the desk when an older man with an eyepatch is shown in* *the contrast between the well-dressed and well-groomed Lorenzo and the older man- dressed in black, seemingly without care for his appearance- is stark*
    Lorenzo: *rises* *bows slightly* Signore de Montefeltro
    Montefeltro: Signore de Medici *sits down without being invited to*
    Lorenzo: wine?
    Montefeltro: *speaks in short bursts, like a dog barking* when your brother sent me to you, Medici, it was not to brag about your cellars.
    Lorenzo: *amiably* of course *sits down* what do you know of Volterra, Milord?
    Montefeltro: *clearly impatient* that it's citizens are in revolt.
    Lorenzo: then that brings me to my point. I wish to...make use of your services.
    Montefeltro: *gives price*
    Lorenzo: and what does that buy me?
    Montefeltro: peace of mind that the Volterrans won't bother rising again.
    Lorenzo: then we have an understanding, Milord. I trust we will not need to meet again-
    Montefeltro: *standing up* only if your payment is late, Medici
    Lorenzo: will that be a lump sum or in installments [2]?
    Montefeltro: *walking out* spoken like a banker.

*exterior* *London* *Coldharbour House* *Edward IV is talking to William Hastings over a map of England on the table*
    Hastings: except for the Percy's, the north is still in Lancastrian hands-
    Edward IV: Warwick's hands...it's not necessarily the same thing.
    Hastings: it still comes down as far as the Humber, your Majesty. Then goes west to Sandal Castle and Hulme, around the county of Chester, down the Marches to the Severn, bulging out as far as Windsor and Winchester, before sweeping down to the coast at Poole.
    Edward IV: *uses finger to indicate* Dickon took Bristol. And he managed to take Gloucester, but was pushed back by Jasper Tudor and some Welsh troops who gave battle at Tewkesbury Abbey. The only thing that stopped him joining our brother Rutland was that there were some forces from Worcester that came to his aid. So the Severn is not as secure as the Lancastrians could hope.
    Hastings: he's still trapped between Wales and the bulk of the Lancastrian forces, sire.
    Edward IV: but if he can force his way- from Worcester- to Birmingham or Telford...he'd have successfully broken the Lancastrians in two. It's not much, but if the duke of Buckingham comes south with his forces to assist him...that corridor will isolate King Henry from their main source of reinforcements, that is to say, the Welshmen. Leaving them in a pocket cut off from the coast. While we can land reinforcements from Ireland at Gloucester and Bristol if need be.

*end scene as it fades out on the map's course of the Severn River*

[1] Giovan' Battista/Giacomo della Volpe (aka Ivan Friazine), Ivan III's "agent" in Italy. In 1471, he sold the Venetian Senate on a crazy scheme to trade with Golden Horde.
    [2] in short, the Volterrans were in revolt against their rulers in 1472, Lorenzo il Magnifico hired Federico da Montefeltro (later duke of Urbino) to suppress the rebellion because the Medici wished to control the newly-discovered alum mines in the hills around the city. Not sure, but ISTR reading that Volterra has alabaster quarries as well

Patriae Splendor Spes Nostrae Salutis
  • Soundtrack: Vivaldi - Juditha Triumphans - Salve Invicta

February 1472

*exterior* *Venice* *we see Sophia Palaiologina doing various regal things* *receiving the Doge and Dogaressa* *visiting convents and distributing alms* *in general, the Venetians seem to be a mixture of both "impressed" by her bearing and dismissive towards her* *these scenes are spliced in with Giuliano de Medici and Manuele enjoying Carnival in the "Venetian manner"* *or in other words, wandering with their arms around one another's shoulders, clearly drunk and singing as they cross the Piazza de San Marco* *Manuele kissing a naked woman* *and as we hear an angry voice in the next room, he escapes out of the window* *clearly the woman's husband demands to know why the window is open and she's standing there naked as a statue?* *Giuliano clearly did something similar, because next we see him engaged in a sword fight with another gentleman over the matter*

*interior* *Florence* *Lorenzo reads the report and clearly is debating whether he should send Federico da Montefeltro to Venice to bring Giuliano back in leg irons*

*interior* *Venice* *darkened room* *a servant enters*
    Servant: *weakly* Signore de Medici?
    *we hear a groan from inside the bed* *followed by wine goblet clattering out over the tiles*
    Servant: *goes to the bed* *timidly* Signore de Medici.
    *another groan*
    *we see Manuele enter* *he starts opening the room's windows*
    Manuele: Giuliano...Dominus Pisani is here to see you. *walks over to the bed* he's downstairs demanding satisfaction for deflowering his daughter.
    Giuliano: *sleepy voices* I'll swear to Saint Mark and Saint John the Baptist that someone else had already done that.
    Manuele: then you may tell him yourself. *wrenches curtains of the bed open* *we see Giuliano de Medici lying there, nestled between two buxomly women*
    Giuliano: I thought he'd be more concerned about what I did with his wife.
    Manuele: *surprised* you too?
    Giuliano: *grinning as he scooches closer to the bed* clearly Caesar's woman is not above suspicion then.
    Manuele: Signor della Volpe is here to see you. As is Doge Mocenigo [1].
    Giuliano: *bleary* did I sleep with their wives?
    Manuele: if you did, you have my congratulations *pauses for dramatic effect as Giuliano looks happy* not even I could get my soldier to stand to attention for Dogaressa. She's in her sixties and has skin like a prune.
    Manuele: *grins as he ducks another wine goblet thrown at his head*

*cut to a room* *we see Giuliano seated at a table, opposite Manuele* *across from them sit two men* *one old [2] and gives the impression of an energetic man that is weighted down by the ermine-trimmed robes of state he wears* *the other is considerably younger [3], dressed in simpler garb, but where the Doge is clean-shaven, his companion has a luxuriant beard*
    Doge Mocenigo: our Holy Father, the pope, has written to me, Signore de Medici. It seems that the new king of Bohemia is without a clergyman to crown him. Worse, much of the Bohemian clergy are either under suspicion of being Hussites or supporters of either the king of Hungary or the queen of Poland's son.
    Giuliano: that is terribly troubling. And most inconvenient that I do not wear a bishop's skirts, your Serenity.
    Doge: *smiles indulgently* the pope feels...obligated...since he was the one who nominated the king of Bohemia for the role, to provide a suitable cleric to crown him. Your sister-in-law was kind enough to recommend her brother, Rinaldo, for the role. His Holiness has nominated him as apostolic nuncio to Bohemia [4] with the explicit role of ensuring that the king is not crowned by a heretic.
    Giuliano: Rinaldo is seventeen. Is he not a bit young to be a bishop?
    Doge: his Holiness has not created him as such. Simply that he is to crown the king...lest the crown be sullied by the hands of heretics.
    Giuliano: and Prince Palaiologos and I are bound for Milan-
    Doge: it is his Holiness' wish that he may join you there. And that the three of you- alongside Signore della Volpe and the Grand Princess Sophia, of course- may have the further pleasure of one another's company.
    Giuliano: *looks at Manuele* it seems as though we don't have a choice in the matter, Manuele. -although, I did wonder since when the Doge of Venice acts as the pope's messenger boy.
    Doge: I am here on Venetian business, not that of the Holy Father. Although I would require your services as a messenger.
    Giuliano: I am not your errand boy, your Serenity.
    Doge: it could be...shall one say...mutually beneficiai to both the Serene Republic and the house of Medici.
    Giuliano: I'm listening.
    Doge: on his travel to Prague, the king of Bohemia agreed to certain...conditions...in order to pass through Venetian territory. We simply wish for you to attend his coronation and...should it be possible...remind him of those...obligations towards our Republic.
    Giuliano: and if he refuses?
    Doge: I am sure that your Excellency can be...most persuasive when you wish to.
    Giuliano: you said mutually beneficial. I struggle to see how this improves the Medici situation any.
    Doge: half of Europe's trade passes through Prague- either salt and gold coming south, or spices and fabric going north. -hailing from a family of bankers such as yourself...do I really need to colour the picture further?
    Giuliano: I will have to consult with my brother about it.
    Doge: I doubt that he will find it objectionable if it is on his Holiness' orders. After all...I can only imagine there are banks without number in Siena or Genoa who would prefer to take over the papal accounts should he prove...unwilling.
    Giuliano: *looks at Volpe* and this one? Does he speak? Or does he just sit there.
    Volpe: your Excellency...I already outlined my proposal to you in Rome. The Venetians have approved my mission to King Achmed [5] to raise two hundred thousand horsemen to fight the Turks...the emperor and the king of Bohemia have already promised troops to the same end-
    Manuele: the liberation of Constantinople?
    Volpe: the Venetian fleet is arming at the moment to assist the Queen of Cyprus, your Imperial Highness.
    Manuele: *looks at Doge Mocenigo*
    Doge: there has been talk of a potential diversionary landing in either the Morea or Smyrna [6] in order to keep the Turks distracted while the Horde attacks from their rear.

*fade to black*

[1] per a consult with @Nuraghe we decided to let Mocenigo be elected as Doge in succession to Cristoforo Moro (Mocenigo and Vendramin were both contenders in the 1471 election which they lost to Nicolo Tron). And Venice got four short-reigning doges in succession (Nicolo Tron (1471-1473), Nicolò Marcello (1473-1474), Pietro Mocenigo (1474-1476) and Andrea Vendramin (1476-1478)). Here, Mocenigo gets in earlier
    [2] Mocenigo is born in 1406
    [3] I can't find a birthyear for Giovan' Battista/Giacomo della Volpe (Ivan Friazine), beyond that he travelled to "Tartary" in 1455, implying he was at least late teens/early twenties
    [4] Rinaldo was named as archbishop of Florence in 1474
    [5] Akhmat, Khan of the Great Horde, this mission was approved by the Venetian Senate in May/June 1471

The Queen and the Kingmaker's Daughter
  • Soundtrack: Walter Frye - Ave Regina

*exterior* *Milan* *we see Manuele Palaiologos riding into the city in great state* *Giuliano de Medici riding a small ways behind him* *both men look bored to tears by the display*
    *cut to Manuele and Giuliano both seated at the duke's banquet table* *with them in the presence of the duke is a third, older, man with a high forehead, a hooked nose and a narrow chest* *although his clothes easily match the richness of both Giuliano and Manuele's* *but his general expression is as though he is attempting to avoid a bad odour*
    Giuliano: and how long will you be remaining in Milan, Signore Francesco?
    "Signore Francesco": *simply retains his "aloof" expression as he continues eating*
    Manuele: your grace's guest is hardly the sociable type.
    Duke of Milan: *about to respond*
    Signore Francesco: I wasn't aware that anyone had anything to say, your Imperial Highness. All I heard was the bleating of a Florentine sheep [1]
    Giuliano: and all I see is a Ferrarese lynx who is disappointed that he returned from the Burgundian vineyards to find that he will never be an eagle [2].
    Duke of Milan: gentlemen, there is no need for rancour.
    Signore Francesco: as soon as Medici is sent out to graze with the livestock, your Grace, there shall be no rancour.
    Giuliano: *pushes plate away* forgive me, your Grace, all Signore Francesco's talk of livestock has put me off my dinner. *slyly* still...one can expect no better from the son and grandsons of whores [3]. *smiles as he retains the duke's attention* but at least we Medici can be sure of who our father's were.
    Signore Francesco: *to Milan* you would let him insult me so?
    Manuele: firstly, Signore Francesco, you insulted Signore de Medici. Secondly, I struggle to see where his insult is, unless you are saying that your mother was not a whore and your father was not a bastard. In which case I will happily insult your intelligence for doing so *bites into apple*
    Signore Francesco: *fumes silently as the conversation resumes as though the argument never happened*

*exterior* *London* *Westminster Abbey*
    Elizabeth Wydeville: Warwick is to be pardoned?
    Jacquetta of Luxembourg, Duchess of Bedford: provided he returns to Edward's side.
    Elizabeth: and what he did to you? To father? To John? That is to be forgotten?
    Jacquetta: Elizabeth, the king is hardly interested in Warwick's return any more than what I am or what you wish it. And as insulting as it would be to your father's memory, Edward has his reasons.
    Elizabeth: how soon will it be before Warwick is back in favour? You, of all people mother, know how...how...
    Jacquetta: ruthless he is? *pats her hand* I do. But do not mistake his return for that Edward has either forgiven or forgotten what was done to him either. Your husband is just as ruthless as Warwick.
    Elizabeth: how long will that take then?
    Jacquetta: it is not indefinite. Warwick is playing a dangerous game here. With not one, but two Edward's. He is technically traitor to them both. Regardless of which one wins, *slightly satanic smile* I do not need to be a witch to predict that he will fall.
    Elizabeth: but Edward's promise of a dukedom for him? I've never heard of a man falling upwards.
    Jacquetta: again...a promise that has no legs. Prince Edward- now a man- will not honour it should he win. And King Edward has only promised it should the duchess of Clarence have a son.
    Elizabeth: *surprised* she is with child?
    Jacquetta: I've heard no tell of it. Although if she were...it would be very difficult to maintain the illusion that either George or Isabel are under arrest as the official line goes.
    Elizabeth: *looks at her son toddling around under the eye of his governess, Lady St. John* and what of my Edward? He is walking already. Will he be talking before his father creates him prince of Wales?
    Jacquetta: you could leave this place, Elizabeth. Return to court.
    Elizabeth: and if Edward loses? What then? Am I to give birth in sanctuary again?
    Jacquetta: perhaps, perhaps not. All I know is that since the duchess of Exeter married, the duchess of Clarence's behaviour at court grows more intolerable.
    Elizabeth: she has been cruel towards you, mother?
    Jacquetta: no more than the duchess of York. However...in the absence of a queen, and without his sister to function as the head of his household, the duchesses of York and Clarence swan around as though they were the crowned queen and the princess of Wales.
    Elizabeth: *face darkening*

*cut to Shene Palace* *the courtiers, servants, see a carriage arriving in the courtyard* *nobody bats an eyelid when they see Jacquetta stepping down* *again, nobody looks up at Lady St. John's emergence* *however, when Lady St. John turns to help a little boy down from the carriage people do look up* *the little boy is followed by Elizabeth Wydeville* *a hush falls over the courtyard* *we hear the sound of a wooden barrel or box dropping on the cobbles as the servants and courtiers, in a mixture of astonishment and surprise, bow and curtsey*
    Elizabeth: *walks through the spreading wine from the barrel, it soaking the hem of her grey dress* *she looks at the barrel as she picks up her son* what a waste of Malmesy

*cut to interior* *we see Elizabeth blowing down the palace corridors, with her mother and son's governess trailing behind her* *as she rounds the corner of a courtyard, she is brought face to face with the duchess of York and Clarence* *the two women are laughing together at something*
    *both Cicely and Isabel Neville look practically stunned to see her*
    Elizabeth: *warmly* Lady Cicely, I was unaware that you were in residence.
    Cicely: my son needed someone to run the home in your Majesty's absence.
    Elizabeth: of course. Then I need not remind you of what is the proper protocol on encountering the queen of England.
    Cicely: *looks at Elizabeth for a long beat* *then slowly sinks into a curtsey*
    Elizabeth: *to Isabel* most beloved, most loyal sister.
    Isabel: *coolly stares Elizabeth down* your Majesty
    Elizabeth: it gives me great pleasure to welcome you to my home [4]. I trust that...in time...you will be kind enough to invite me to your home at L'Erber.
    Isabel: it is not in such state as fit to receive a queen, your Majesty
    Elizabeth: that was not a request, sister.
    Isabel: *looks at the still unrisen Cicely* *then back at Elizabeth* *attempts to bob a brief curtsey*
    Elizabeth: *sternly* lower, madame. Lest my son should believe that you are as traitorous as your father.
    Isabel: *grudgingly* *sinks into a full cutsey*
    Elizabeth: *presents her hand*
    Isabel: *looks at her as though to ask "are you serious?"*
    Cicely: *jabs her daughter-in-law with her elbow*
    Isabel: *hastily kisses it*
    Elizabeth: *hands Edward to his grandmother* *then raises Isabel to her feet* *leaving Cicely on her haunches* *kisses both her sister's cheeks* then come, sister...let us talk no more of the unhappy past.

*fade to black as Edward IV takes his son from Jacquetta* *while Elizabeth and Isabel are arm-in-arm, as though best friends* *Isabel's smile is like a hostage going "yes they are treating me well" in a ransom video*

[1] reference to the Medici bank originally making their money off the guild of wool-carders
    [2] several puns in Giuliano's answer. "I see" and "lynx" are both references to Signore Francesco's father, Leonello d'Este, whose motto was "Quade Vides ne Vide" (shut your eyes to what you see) and whose heraldic charge was a lynx (a pun on his name). The eagle is both a reference to the imperial eagle as well as that on the coat of arms of the d'Este family
    [3] referring to the fact that Francesco is illegitimate, and the son of Leonello, who himself was illegitimate
    [4] Shene belonged to Elizabeth Wydeville and was earmarked to serve as her dower home OTL

Svatba v Máji, do Roka Máry [1]
  • Soundtrack: Leu Chansoneta

April 1472

*Milan* *we see the city once more en fête for the arrival of the newly appointed nuncio to Prague, Rinaldo Orsini* *the seventeen-year-old nuncio is received with all due honours by the suffragan bishop, Giovanni Arcimboldo [2]*

*cut to Orsini out hunting with the duke, Giuliano de Medici, Manuele Palaiologos and Francesco d'Este* *clearly d'Este and Giuliano haven't kissed and made up yet, since both are studiously ignoring one another*

*cut to the four riding out of Milan in procession*
    Duke of Milan: *to his retainer as he watches them leave* thank God my part in this farce is over. Another week and I'd have gone as mad as the king of England.

*cut to them making camp* *night*
    Giuliano: so the pope didn't even give you a crown to crown the king with, Rinaldo? That seems...disappointing. We go all that way and you must just say *solemn tone, using his wine cup to gesture* in nomine patris, et filii et spiritu sancti. Amen
    Manuele: the Bohemian kings already have a crown. No need for the pope to send another one.
    Giuliano: but it was sullied by heretics. You heard Doge Mocenigo. When they crowned King George.
    Manuele: heretics touching a crown does not take away the sanctity of the crown. One day, when my brother is crowned as caesar in Constantinople, it will make little difference if there is truth to what I have heard the sultan himself has a fancy to wearing it. It will be blessed and deemed purified. [3]
    Giuliano: *loudly* ah, our own sultan makes his entry *looks at Francesco d'Este who's clearly irritated by having to join them*
    Rinaldo: shouldn't he be shorter? I have heard the sultan is short. Or at least, in a turban and twirly-whirly shoes.
    Giuliano, Manuele: *laughing as Francesco sits down huffily*
    Manuele: *chuckling* well, he certainly behaves as if he has the sultan's scimitar up his arse.
    Francesco: *muttering* I cannot believe that you dragged me with on this...this...goose chase.
    Giuliano: it's as much a sacrifice for us as it is for you, don't worry.
    Rinaldo: besides, from what Bishop Arcimboldi told me, when Cardinal Nardini returns from Burgundy, you will be an embarrassment to the duke. And we all saw what he did to your uncle, Duke Borso, when it was inconvenient for him.
    Francesco: they were the king of France's allies.
    Rinaldo: then if the duke didn't, the king did. I have heard that he is in the habit of removing...obstacles. Look at how he poisoned the comte d'Armagnac after they captured Lectoure.
    Francesco: that is justified. The Armagnacs are no friends to the king of France.
    Rinaldo: was it justified that he poisoned the countess to kill the child in her womb as well? What crime did an unborn child commit to be worthy of such a justification. Per the letters from Cardinal Borgia, it is only a stroke of good fortune that the countess herself was saved.
    Francesco: Borgia probably poisoned her himself. I've heard that he cavorts with all sorts of whores, poisoners and necromancers-
    Rinaldo: Cardinal Borgia is many things, Signore Francesco, I assure you, but not even his worst enemies in Rome can accuse him of being an unnatural father.
    Giuliano: *laughing* just a natural one. He has three bastards already-
    Rinaldo: by Roman standards, that makes him practically as chaste as the Virgin Mary.
    Francesco: so aside from this stupid coronation that you, Medici, are willing to serve as an errand boy, what is Orsini's reason. He crowns the king and then?
    Rinaldo: not just crowning the king.
    *all three perk up*
    Rinaldo: I am to continue on to Krakow- to the king of Poland- to deliver a dispensation. Two actually.
    Francesco: to what end?
    Rinaldo: the king wishes for his son and heir to marry one of the marquis of Mantua's daughters [4]-
    Francesco: what concern is that of the pope?
    Rinaldo: they are cousins through the lady's mother, the princess of Bavaria, and the queen of Poland's grandmother. Not to mention that the marquis' wife is the niece of the elector of Brandenburg who was formerly engaged to the king's sister. His Majesty is erring on the side of caution as he wishes for no accusations of illegitimacy to be made.
    Giuliano: *lying back* there is a large part of me grateful that we Medici are not bothered by such trivialities.
    Francesco: *witheringly* yes...you insist on riding the finest horses or having dogs with pedigrees, but when it comes to your children...you marry anywhere.
    Giuliano: *eyes half closed* at least we marry our women, Franceschetto. Not like you d'Este. How many bastards did your father and grandfather leave, anyway? It seems they had them like most men have pets.
    Rinaldo: *raising voice before another argument can erupt* there's another reason as well. The request arrived from the king of France as I was about to leave Rome.
    Manuele: and that is?
    Rinaldo: since Madame de Chambes has...gone to wherever we go when we die. Heaven, hell, purgatory...a hole in the ground that leads to become food for worms- his Majesty is most eager to prevent his brother from once more entering into an..."unsuitable attachment".
    Manuele: I thought he is to marry King George's daughter?
    Rinaldo: she is the "unsuitable attachment" of which the king speaks.
    *the other three perk up*
    Rinaldo: the queen of France is with child once more. The king hopes for a boy, but should worst come to worst and it is either a girl or stillborn- like so many of his children have been- then that would mean that the king of Bohemia is a heart-beat away from the throne. He feels that his brother would do better marrying elsewhere. For the undesirable event that he should be called to the throne of France.

*fade to black*

[1] Czech saying that roughly equates to the English "marry in May, rue the day". It warns that a girl who marries in May will either be dead or a widow within the year (at least that's my understanding of it). While it is only April, the fact of the matter remains they still need to get to Prague for the coronation
    [2] why Arcimboldo and not the actual bishop? Because the archbishop of Milan, Stefano Nardini, is currently scurrying between Charles the Bold and Louis XI. Charles despised Nardini, feeling him too biased towards Louis
    [3] I have no idea if this is true. But these aren't theologians discussing it
    [4] specifically Barbara or Paola Gonzaga. Casimir IV was looking at both as a potential bride for St. Casimir around this time OTL