The Mexican Century: An Alternate Mexican History

Presentation/The Conspiracy of Queretaro
Presentation
Hello everyone, my name is Alex, and after reading some timelines in this site, I decided to make my own, speaking about my country: Mexico. Since this is my first proper timeline, I consider myself as a sort of amateur, so I will try my best to properly learn and not commit (much) mistakes, and at the same time, I will give myself time to publish new threads. In any case, I will appreciate any help available to improve myself. The timeline will be not always lineal, which means that some threads will be related to previous events that happened before the content said in the previous thread. And I think that's it, let's get start, shall we?

After the beginning of the French Invasion of Spain, the viceregal government in New Spain found itself in a delicate situation: the bond that was supposed to unite the Spanish Metropolí with the Viceroyalty had disappeared: Ferdinand VII had abdicated, and Spain was de facto a puppet of the French Empire. This further worsened the already tense relationship between the peninsular Spaniards and the Creoles (born in America), as opposing ideas began to form in both groups as to from whom sovereignty emanated. This clash of ideas was reflected, for example, in the coup d'état of 1808, as a result of the inclination of Viceroy José de Iturrigaray to the proposal of the Creole Francisco Primo de Verdad to form a Government Board in the Viceroyalty, which would govern in the absence of Fernando VII (considered the legitimate king against the usurper José Bonaparte). This Board would not imply the independence of the Viceroyalty, but it would imply the displacement of sovereignty from the King to the people, something unacceptable in the opinion of many peninsulars.

The coup, which took place on September 15, 1808, led to the dismissal and imprisonment of Iturrigaray, as well as Primo de Verdad and other Creole sympathizers. Ironically, the coup not only failed to stabilize the situation, but only further fueled the prospect of insurrection. The Conjura de Valladolid, for example, proposed a coup d'état that would allow the defense of King Ferdinand against the possibility of Spain falling into French hands for good. However, the Conjura was discovered, and its instigators were arrested (although they were not severely punished). A situation contrary to other Viceroyalties in the continent, where successful Government Boards were formed, such as the Board of Caracas, predecessor of the republican government in Venezuela, New Granada and Quito, united in the Republic of Colombia [1]. The most important case, and the one that led to the eventual formation of the Mexican Republic, was the Conspiracy of Queretaro: formed by a group of enlightened criollos commanded by the priest Miguel Hidalgo; whose objectives were, like his predecessors, a coup against the Viceroyalty government, although unlike its predecessor in Valladolid, the Conspirators had different objectives, sometimes contradictory (so it is thought that there was more than one existing Conspiracy, for example, the plans of the conspirator Ignacio Allende were not the same as those of Epigmenio Gonzalez, with the former advocating for a Government Board, and the latter for Independence under an Empire).

In any case, the conspirators, commanded by Hidalgo, planned to gather enough weapons and sympathizers (Creoles, mestizos and natives) to be able to carry out a general uprising that would prevent a timely response from the viceregal government. Originally it was planned that the uprising would take place at the beginning of December 1810; but a closer date was accepted: October 2. Although there were rumors that an uprising was indeed planned, especially after the denunciation of the messenger José Mariano Galván, the local government dismissed the accusations [2]. The plan, methodically studied, foresaw the capture of the city of Queretaro and San Miguel el Grande (today San Miguel de Allende), to then accumulate troops, resources and popularity, until having the capacity to capture Mexico City. It was also planned to capture as many gachupines as possible, both lay and religious.

On the night of October 1, the uprising began: Hidalgo himself supervised the arrest of different religious leaders in Queretaro, while Allende made sure to take his hometown. Several Franciscan friars joined the cause, and thanks to the contacts that Epigmenio had, as well as the financial help of the corregidor Miguel Rodriguez and his wife, Josefa Ortiz, it was possible to gather around 300 to 500 men in the first hours of the uprising. Due to his status as a clergyman, Hidalgo sought the support of the city's population through religious talk, while other conspiratorial leaders, such as Juan Aldama or Mariano Abasolo, carried out "heavy work" (taking over the city square). Months of preparation helped, so the city was quickly taken almost without bloodshed, to which Hidalgo decided to pronounce the so-called Grito of Queretaro in the Oratory of San Felipe Neri, a church that he himself had blessed some years before. There are no exact records of the exact words spoken by Hidalgo, although the most accepted theory is that he shouted:

"¡Viva nuestra madre santísima de Guadalupe!, ¡viva Fernando VII y muera el mal gobierno!".

And with that, the War of Independence began.
1663378285232.png

Miguel Hidalgo, the Father of the Motherland

[1] The Republic of (Gran) Colombia will survive in this TL.
[2] As you can see, the POD is that the Conspiracy is never discovered (OTL, one of the conspirators, Joaquín Arias, in a desperate act of fear, self-incriminated himself, along with the rest of his comrades. This resulted in the conspirators (that were not captured/arrested afterwards) in escaping to the town of Dolores, Guanajuato and launch the uprising earlier. There's some earlier POD's I will try to talk later.​

Welcome to the board, and good luck with your first timeline. It looks like an interesting start. Maybe Mexico will have a better fate than it had in the 19th Century OTL.

It'll be an interesting timeline. We are of course before Adams-Onis so the border with the USA is not well-defined. Florida is still Spanish but not considered part of New Spain. Louisiana is part of the US, but New Spain might be reluctant to recognise it. 19th century Mexico, much like 19th century China was screwed by external powers, mainly because it screwed itself with corruption & incompetence. Perhaps the Anglos in North America need to take themselves down a few pegs to give the Mexicans a better chance. A POD in 1808 certainly butterflies the war of 1812 to a significant extent. Perhaps a more brutal Anglo-American war or an earlier ACW might have weakened the USA to an extent that a MAW never occurs.

Wonder what would happen to ...

"Benefactor and Hero of the nation, Marshal of the Army, Grand Master of the National and Distinguished Order of Guadalupe, Grand Cross of the Royal and Distinguished Spanish Order of Carlos III, and President of the Mexican Republic, Mexican Patriot, The Immortal Warrior of Zempoala, Defender of Mexico, Hero of Tampico who defended the nation against the Spanish, Fought and repelled the French invaders at Veracruz where he lost his leg, Defender of Buena Vista, Cerro Gordo, and Mexico City who fought Valiantly and courageously against the Americans to the last, His Serene Highness, Antionio Lopez De Santa Anna"

Always great to see a fellow Alex in here!
Already watched and looking forward to see what you'll make out of it
Love to you and Mexico!

Will Mexico be one a republic or a empire?
Great start!
A Republic, in fact, my objective is for Mexico to become a Republic from the start, without the First Empire being a thing.
Welcome to the board, and good luck with your first timeline. It looks like an interesting start. Maybe Mexico will have a better fate than it had in the 19th Century OTL.
Thank you very much!
It'll be an interesting timeline. We are of course before Adams-Onis so the border with the USA is not well-defined. Florida is still Spanish but not considered part of New Spain. Louisiana is part of the US, but New Spain might be reluctant to recognise it. 19th century Mexico, much like 19th century China was screwed by external powers, mainly because it screwed itself with corruption & incompetence. Perhaps the Anglos in North America need to take themselves down a few pegs to give the Mexicans a better chance. A POD in 1808 certainly butterflies the war of 1812 to a significant extent. Perhaps a more brutal Anglo-American war or an earlier ACW might have weakened the USA to an extent that a MAW never occurs.
For now I don't see changing the War of 1812, although I'm thinking about changing the Napoleonic Wars so the insurrects don't have to worry too much about Spain recovering and sending all their troops.
Just kill Santa Ana quickly.
Maybe.
Wonder what would happen to ...

"Benefactor and Hero of the nation, Marshal of the Army, Grand Master of the National and Distinguished Order of Guadalupe, Grand Cross of the Royal and Distinguished Spanish Order of Carlos III, and President of the Mexican Republic, Mexican Patriot, The Immortal Warrior of Zempoala, Defender of Mexico, Hero of Tampico who defended the nation against the Spanish, Fought and repelled the French invaders at Veracruz where he lost his leg, Defender of Buena Vista, Cerro Gordo, and Mexico City who fought Valiantly and courageously against the Americans to the last, His Serene Highness, Antionio Lopez De Santa Anna"
In my perspective, I don't want to kill him, but I also don't want him to be leader of the country.
It’s nice to see a TL about Mexico you don’t see a lot of those on this site so you have my interest.
Thanks!
Always great to see a fellow Alex in here!
Already watched and looking forward to see what you'll make out of it
Love to you and Mexico!
Viva México!

The Battle of Guanajuato
When the insurrection began, it did so with neither pain nor glory. For the viceregal government, the uprising of Hidalgo was nothing more than a minor concern from which the Viceroyalty would emerge victorious. Such perspective ended when the expedition of the Insurgent Army besieged and captured Guanajuato. After the Grito de Queretaro and the recruitment (sometimes forced, sometimes voluntary) of Indians, Creole sympathizers and mestizos, the insurrectionists' objective was to capture the main cities of the central region (the Bajío) in preparation for an offensive on Mexico City.

Queretaro at that time was part of the Intendencia of México, and while its economic importance could not be denied, for the insurgents the rebellion was to expand as much as possible. To this end, Hidalgo emphasized social issues, speaking out against slavery (and currying favor with slaves and "freedmen", released afromexican people) or calling for the tax exemption, which won him the support of impoverished native communities desperate for a social change that would grant them a better life. In a matter of days, by the time the seizure of Guanajuato (and its Intendencia) began, the Insurgent Army numbered in the tens of thousands (although it is true that most of the militia did not even possess firearms, generally using rocks, sticks and spears).

The taking of Guanajuato was the first great bloody battle of the War of Independence; not so much for the "formal" warlike actions between the Royalist and Insurgent Armies, but for the display of brutality and xenophobia that characterized the insurgents, which resulted in the massacre of hundreds of Spanish peninsulars in the capture of the Alhóndiga of Granaditas. The battle is generally divided into two fronts: Celaya and Guanajuato proper. The strategy of the Insurgent Army was to prepare enough firearms and cold weapons in Queretaro, while a contingent of poorly armed troops sought the capture of Celaya, between October 23 and 25. The city surrendered after an ultimatum: if it did not surrender, at least 70 peninsulars captured in Queretaro would be executed. The captured city became a front of operations from which to attack Guanajuato, which was accomplished as soon as the intendant Juan Antonio de Riaño rejected the peaceful surrender of the city.

The taking of the city, militarily carried out by Ignacio Allende and Juan Aldama, began in the early morning of October 30, once the letter was received from the intendant De Riaño about his loyalty to the Spanish crown and Viceroy Francisco Xavier Venegas. Due to the overwhelming numerical superiority of the Insurgent Army, the intendant and his guards, as well as a good part of the defense of the city and various peninsulars and royalist Creoles congregated in the Alhóndiga of Granaditas. The Alhóndiga was sufficiently prepared to resist a siege for days, but the number of cannons and the superiority of the insurrectionists eventually destroyed the royalist morale. The siege finally broke as soon as a miner, Juan José de los Reyes, decided to volunteer to burn the wooden gates that prevented the insurrectionists from entering the Alhóndiga, which proved to be a success.

What followed the burning of the doors of the Alhóndiga can only be described as a massacre. The intendant De Riaño, as well as his personal guard and even one of his sons was killed, and his belongings were stolen by the insurgents. The same situation occurred with the majority of Creoles and peninsulars trapped in the Alhóndiga, now at the total mercy of the Insurgent Army. The massacre ended only when Hidalgo imposed order, but the death toll was already between 300 and 500, not counting the royalists killed during the pacification of the city.

During the following two weeks, the insurgents pacified the rest of the Intendencia, or, at least, its main towns. On November 18, after the proclamation of the abolition of slavery in all the liberated territories; Hidalgo, Allende and Aldama started their way to Valladolid (now Morelia), as the last point before the Battle of Mexico City [1]. A garrison of natives and mestizos loyal to the insurrectionists was maintained in Guanajuato, while Queretaro continued to serve, at least de facto, as the "capital" of the insurrection.​
1664503491340.png

Painting depicting the burning of the wooden gates of the Alhóndiga of Granaditas by Juan José de los Reyes, better known as "El Pipila".

[1] Yes, Hidalgo will attack Mexico City in this world. This is, I believe, the most important POD for the Mexican War of Independence, since for now Guanajuato fell basically as OTL, with only the days in which it fell being differently. The other difference is that, unlike OTL, the Insurrectionists decide to allow a garrison to stay in the city and maintain its populace loyal to the insurrection (OTL, the insurrectionists only sacked the city and left).

Good to see Mexico getting some love. Your homeland has a very rich history to draw from & may I say it's daring if you to start at the very beginning.

It is very good to see a Hispanic TL. If Spain quickly loses Mexico, the Spanish could strengthen their presence in Nueva Granada and Río de la Plata.

Last edited:
Flashforward: The Flag and Shield of the Mexican Republic
Since the formation of the Provisional Government of the Mexican Republic during the 19th century, the national symbols have not varied greatly. The Supreme Congress, which with distinction liberated Mexico from Spanish tyranny, with Caudillo José María Morelos [1] at its head, from the beginning sought to establish itself as a formal government, which implied the formation of patriotic symbols that would unify the Nation in front of a shield and a flag that represented the values with which the Supreme Government identified itself (and subsequently, of which the Nation united in unison to face the American threat during the First Mexican-American War).

The Law about the National Coat of Arms, Flag and Anthem (by 2020) says that:​

Sj1ZdY2.png

"On a silver field shield shall be placed an eagle standing with a snake in its beak and resting on a cactus laden with fruit, whose trunk is fixed in the center of a lagoon. Trophies of war will adorn the shield, and a civic laurel wreath will be placed on top of it, through the center of which a ribbon with this inscription will cross: Mexican Independence, Year of eighteen hundred and ten. Fasces will hold a Phrygian cap, illuminated by the Sun, representative of Liberty." [2]
NJYWmYP.png

"National Flag: A cloth of longitude and latitude used by the other nations, presenting a board of white and light blue squares. The arms established and delineated for the great seal of the nation in decree of the same date, without any alteration or change, shall be placed in the center and within a white oval on a silver field; and the entire extremity of the cloth forming the flag shall be garnished with an incarnate border six inches wide.

[1] Morelos is alive and will become someone VERY important in the future.
[2] The bold text is part of this timeline, meanwhile the rest of the text comes from OTL.

Both the shield and the flag are made by me, using references from the flag that Morelos and his "government" wanted to do, but adding the Phrygian cap and the Sun as symbols of Freedom/Liberty, related to the French Revolution (and to reflect that the Mexico I want for this timeline is more radical).
Also, I put some hints from the future, related to the future of the country ;) .