America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

Would like to thank @Mynock for this one and bringing to my attention some issues on the matter!

But yes, things are changing and in bigger ways most people expect. The fact is that the 80s and a chunk of the 90s will not be kind to the GOP, mainly because of the shift in both the overton window, but in the general status quo and view of the US.

What we today would think of when it comes to American conservatism was born in the 1980s with Reagan's victory. Secondwave neoconservatism dominated the zeigeist and would maintain itself later on through different forms, doubling down more and more on the culture war at the cost of everything else. And Reagan's conservative vision was just a nostalgic rehash of stuff from the 1950s and a bit before. In a sense, things have been stuck for a while.

ITTL though, that vision has collasped under the weight of failed economic policies and broken promises thanks to timing and then crushed by being outshined by a proto neo-progressive movement that delivers what people are needing and wanting. Hence why by the mid 1990s or so, conservatives will be quite different than OTL of the time.

My pleasure, happy to lend any assistance at all to your wonderful TL and looking forward to seeing where you take it!
Thank you very much! I do appreciate assistance, especially on the political front. This will become prominent given how there will be only a few recognizable faces in the future

Fall 1984: Twilight of Happy Days
Fall 1984: Twilight of Happy Days

The_Dark_Crystal_Film_Poster.jpg

Dark Crystal film poster
With the primaries decided, it seemed that some of American public culture began reflecting this. The popular family sitcom Happy Days, an ode to an idealized view of the 1950s, would air its final episode over in late September. However, as one thing ends, new things begin. Jeopardy enters its syndicated version with the host Alex Trebek. The time of frights and horrors would be upon Americans as two major films would come out at the time of year that would mark trends over for the rest of the decade and beyond, that being Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal and James Cameron's Termination. The Dark Crystal was a passion project worked on by Jim Henson for a long time and was planned for a release a few years ago, but kept getting pushed back for various reasons; however, this was a net positive as it allowed for refinement of the film such as the development of the protagonist, even at the costs of some compromises with Jim. However, the Halloween release was Eisner's idea; originally planned for earlier in the year, Eisner suggested Halloween as he viewed the dark fantasy elements as being more appropriate and successful during Halloween, and giving more time to market the film's spookier atmosphere, a gambit that paid off quite handsomely. Termination meanwhile was based off older science fiction works of the 1960s and a nightmare had by Cameron during his time in Italy. The film was a horror story that saw Arnold Schwarzenegger become a massive star playing the horror icon, a strangely humanlike machine known as the Search & Termination Unit or the SerTer (pronounces Ser-Ter) that has been created to hunt down certain individuals on the behest of a mysterious organization simply known as the Mundus Network. The twist ending of the killed protagonist having his fresh corpse taken to remade into a SerTer Unit is considered a strong moment in film.

However, while frights and fears played on films over in the United States, it was real in other parts of the world. A massive famine in Ethiopia grabbed headlines as thousands have died of starvation and many more in danger, it mobilied many parts of the world into sending aid and volunteering time and money to help out. Even more so was that around Halloween itself, cries of shock would come out of India. Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was assassinated, by none other than her two Sikh security guards over in New Delhi, likely as a response for the mishandling of Operation Bluestar months earlier. Unsurprisingly and tragically, this is set off a large wave of anti-Sikh riotsover in India and creating an epidemic of ease and worry in the major powers for what was going on. The massacre was a lage cause of concern and heads of state were condemning the growing violence and actions being done. Tensions were growing worse there and it would seem that at some point in the future, major violence was a potential possibility over in India and or Pakistan, especially with the Siachen War still going on. This has led India to throw accusations over at Pakistan at fanning the flames of the Khalistan movement. Meanwhile, one certain nation would open a secret line of communication with India due to potential shared interest with a common enemy and such, collaboration would be a potential benefit for the both of them.
[1]

Other political news would be the resigntation of James Callaghan from Prime Minister, doing so as an individual. He expressed a combination of factors such as age and the need of new blood. After a few days, the Queen chose Roy Hattersley as the PM, who would have Neil Kinnock as his deputy. Despite this concern of real world scares around this time, there was still enough to be appreciative for. The 1984 Worlds' fair would be happening over in New Orleans in Louisiana. The fascination with space continued with astronaut Kathryn D. Sullivan on the Challenger becoming the first American woman to perform a space walk. Also on the Challenger would be Marc Garneau, becoming the first Canadian in space. Nations like Nicaragua would see greater elections and a growing sense of transquility in Latin America as the people were pulling themselves out of the pit that they were pushed into. The first Hackers Conference was held and the people were preparing for the elections within the United States. All while several factors work in the background that would shape what would be coming for the future. [2]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1]- Information from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_anti-Sikh_riots
[2]- Informaton and phrasing from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984

Last edited:
Another shoutout to @Geekhis Khan !

I figured that being released during Halloween and relying on the spooky atmosphere and promoted as such, Dark Crystal would do alot better.

Who wants to guess the nation India may align with?

And yeah, Termination is TTL’s version of the Terminator though being more horror-based and whatnot. May or may not become a franchise, though still exists in some form or fashion.

Any questions or the like? :)

I don't think so. Dolph Briscoe seemed to have made too many mistakes before the divergence point to salvage anything in the primaries. He would likely still lose to John Hill like OTL and Hill would likely win, thus keeping Texas with a Democrat governor.

As for Clements, I don't know there. I think Reagan might keep Rumsfeld around for that and Clements may still stick around as Deputy, even if he didn't like Rumsfeld.
Briscoe just cannot seem to catch a break in these timelines LOL.

I do NOT like Hill & hope White beats him in 1982.

1984- US Elections
Election season had finally arrived for the American people over in 1984. For Mo Udall, it would be a test to see on how well the policies, stances and actions of his administration would be received by the American voting base. However, he had little to fear; his presidency oversaw the full recovery of the American economy, assisted by his actions such as the two stimulus pacakages to the American people. This along with the formation of the National Bureau of Healthcare along with various programs to assist young people to find work and so on ensued that he would be quite the popular president. Of course, now it was all on whether he could keep the momentum and spread it over across to the Democrats. The Republicans meanwhile, faced the near-blatant reality that they were going to be facing near-certain reality and instead focused on trying to regain some of their lost ground. However, the growing divisions in the Republicans did not help matters. While Howard Baker did run a pretty good campaign and helped shift the minds of fence-sitters to moderate themselves, the hardliners dug themselves deeper for various reasons such as fear of political irrelevancy, the nature of the job or whatnot. This did not stop the growing liberal Republicans though the question was if they could be able to influence the party, especially as a growing number of corporate interests were leaking into the Republicans, likely with the intention of trying to get standards and regulations maintained by the Democrats relaxed.

As such, Election Day arrived and many matters went as expected. The Democrats would maintain the White House with strong numbers and Howard Baker, while doing a strong showing, it was still an obvious loss, which he took with grace. As seen in the House and the Senate, the Democrats maintained thier near-super majority though more and more of their members were retiring and there was a need to try and build-up a a group within to help guide and raise the next generation of progressives over within to take their place, especially with prominent individuals like Ted Kennedy still remaining in office. However, there were still a few surprises, namely that none other than the infamous Strom Thurmond losing his seat in a close race.

For the Democrats, it was an expected victory to be sure, but also swayed some of those in the middle to embrace progressive policies as the future of the party’s successes. Party of this was also from the large likelihood of Reubin Askew running for president in 1988, who was viewed as more moderate than Mo was, though Askew had been assisting in the AIDS crisis and preparing to address the nation on issues regarding the SATMUN folk. For the Republicans, it was more trying to find who to run over in 1988, with the bigger names trying to work and establish themselves onto it. For John B. Anderson, he considered it a swan song of sorts, with some speculating he may retire from politics or leave the party in the next few years. Another big name that was making waves was George HW Bush, who was seen as the best moderate chance in to balance the issues of the divisions within the GOP. They were being presented with a choice and it was on if they could convince the voters in doing so along with those of special interest groups.

Briscoe just cannot seem to catch a break in these timelines LOL.

I do NOT like Hill & hope White beats him in 1982.
I’m assuming you mean Mark White? Most likely.

And yes, Udall and Ferraro are indeed talking about something quite relevant and upcoming~

There’s a lot of big stuff coming!

I’m assuming you mean Mark White? Most likely.

And yes, Udall and Ferraro are indeed talking about something quite relevant and upcoming~

There’s a lot of big stuff coming!
Yep. Considering Briscoe will undermine Hill, you can bet he'll be convincing his young protege to beat him in 1982.
1983-01-18 Highlights of the Inaugural Parade @ Congress Avenue in downtown Austin.jpg

*Would love to see White serve 12 years in the TX Governor's Mansion until January 17, 1995:)

I do have some questions:

1.) Does Edwin Edwards still serve 16 years as LA Governor in this timeline like he did in real life?
2.) What happens to Treen (would he run for the US Senate against Johnston in 1984) & Roemer (who was elected to Congress in 1980)
3.) What happens to US Senator John Tower (R-TX)?

Last edited:
What did the election maps look like in 1976 and 1980?

and how are Canada and Australia doing ITTL?
Hmmm... I have a bit of a general idea:

1976: Reagan beats Carter probably to a similar margin if a bit bigger that Carter beat Ford in OTL. I suspect it’s mostly the same states as Carter vs Ford, but Reagan wins Texas and maybe a couple other southern states

1980: OTL saw Carter get crushed by Reagan hard. I suspect it’d be similar here with Reagan getting crushed by Udall. Not as bad, probably Reagan getting a few more states than OTL’s Carter if through charisma alone. I don’t see Reagan reaching 100 at all. Maybe in the 60s or 70s regarding electoral vote?

Alternately, he loses even worse than he beat Mondale in OTL, Reagan winning no states, but not sure how likely that is.

Yep. Considering Briscoe will undermine Hill, you can bet he'll be convincing his young protege to beat him in 1982.
View attachment 686914
*Would love to see White serve 12 years in the TX Governor's Mansion until January 17, 1995:)

I do have some questions:

1.) Does Edwin Edwards still serve 16 years as LA Governor in this timeline like he did in real life?
2.) What happens to Treen (would he run for the US Senate against Johnston in 1984) & Roemer (who was elected to Congress in 1980)
3.) What happens to US Senator John Tower (R-TX)?
Well, if White stays aligned with the growing neo-progressive movement, then I imagine so. Given what he said on a more diversified economy... ooh that will be needed given what I have planned.

As for your questions... hmmm..

I don’t think Treen will win in 1979 as Republicans will be suffering from sharply increasing unpopularity at that time. So it’d likely go to a different Democrat, likely Louis Lambert.

As such, Treen may be one of the wipeouts in 1982 or 1984 depending on his district.

Edwards may run as a House Rep in 1982 to beat Buddy Roemer until 1986 and then try and become a Senator to replace Russel B Long...? Not sure on that.

John Tower’s opposing Reagan and softening on stances might save him within the GOP, but I’m guessing he’ll probably still retire in 1985z

What did the election maps look like in 1976 and 1980?

and how are Canada and Australia doing ITTL?
It almost seems to be a law in alternate history that Pierre Trudeau loses to Robert Stanfield. :p
Well, given the divergeance date, Trudeau still beats Stanfield. Canada’s election record would remain largely the same until 1984. Trudeau would probably still retire, but who’d win would be harder to tell because of the changing zeitgeist.

I’d have to double check, but Mulroney would still likely win, but not as a big a landslide, namely because the NDP might do better than OTL and take a bigger bite from the Liberals. Will get back to you on that.

Australia would be the same so far in OTL, I think with Bob Hawke becoming PM.

Hmmm... I have a bit of a general idea:

1976: Reagan beats Carter probably to a similar margin if a bit bigger that Carter beat Ford in OTL. I suspect it’s mostly the same states as Carter vs Ford, but Reagan wins Texas and maybe a couple other southern states

1980: OTL saw Carter get crushed by Reagan hard. I suspect it’d be similar here with Reagan getting crushed by Udall. Not as bad, probably Reagan getting a few more states than OTL’s Carter if through charisma alone. I don’t see Reagan reaching 100 at all. Maybe in the 60s or 70s regarding electoral vote?

Alternately, he loses even worse than he beat Mondale in OTL, Reagan winning no states, but not sure how likely that is.
going off that, here's what I came up with for 1976.......
genusmap.php

and 1980.........
genusmap.php

going off that, here's what I came up with for 1976.......
genusmap.php

and 1980.........
genusmap.php
Yup, I figured more or less that’s be how it goes. I don’t think Reagan would be unpopular enough to not win 0 states, but it could be possible.

Thank you very much!

Well, if White stays aligned with the growing neo-progressive movement, then I imagine so. Given what he said on a more diversified economy... ooh that will be needed given what I have planned.

As for your questions... hmmm..

I don’t think Treen will win in 1979 as Republicans will be suffering from sharply increasing unpopularity at that time. So it’d likely go to a different Democrat, likely Louis Lambert.

As such, Treen may be one of the wipeouts in 1982 or 1984 depending on his district.

Edwards may run as a House Rep in 1982 to beat Buddy Roemer until 1986 and then try and become a Senator to replace Russel B Long...? Not sure on that.

John Tower’s opposing Reagan and softening on stances might save him within the GOP, but I’m guessing he’ll probably still retire in 1985z
EWE is not going to run for Congress again. I still would like to see him get 16 years as LA Governor 😉

Considering EWE was popular back in the day despite the corruption.