America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

It's all very interesting so far, I'm enjoying it a lot. Any chance of explaining the layout of the senate? Any particular races that changed as a result of Udall? I have to assume that McGovern would have been given something of a boost at the very least, though whether that would have kept him in the senate or not is entirely uncertain.
I am happy to hear you are having fun! As for House and Senate layout... I'm not sure. That's not my area of expertise, plus the changes would be quite radical because alot of the neocons would not get voted. I will try and hit some of the big names, including a certain someone losing their seat in 1984.

Also, I made a logo for the NBH for ya'll!

Im very curious on how the aftermath of the Iran-Iraq war goes. I wonder if Iran like OTL invades Iraq to take iraqi oil fields and topple Saddam , I’d imagine that Iran would demand some kind of compensation from Iraq for damages done from the invasion. At least if I was Iran I’d use the threat of invading Iraq & taking their oil fields as a way to extort the superpowers and the gulf states in giving me a shit ton of aid to rebuild the country basically getting their own Marshall plan
Well, they weren't happy being attacked and they'd likely see Saddam as being too much of a threat to them for him to be in power. Besides toppling him, I don't know if they'd want to annex any land. That said, they would still probably want to expand their sphere of influence. And they'll get a pretty big chance for that.

As for oil stuff... well, let's say I've been hinting that something big with that will be coming. Iran wouldn't be under sanctions like in OTL so they could do well economically and also slowly reforge better connections with the US, especially with American relations with Pakistan declining.

Idea for NBH logo:
1631476156713.png

Well, they weren't happy being attacked and they'd likely see Saddam as being too much of a threat to them for him to be in power. Besides toppling him, I don't know if they'd want to annex any land. That said, they would still probably want to expand their sphere of influence. And they'll get a pretty big chance for that.

As for oil stuff... well, let's say I've been hinting that something big with that will be coming. Iran wouldn't be under sanctions like in OTL so they could do well economically and also slowly reforge better connections with the US, especially with American relations with Pakistan declining.
In this case i could see a scenario where Iran plays the soviets and the americans off each other. Maybe Iran ITTL is still the loner state in the Middle East that it is now but since it’s not a theocracy that pretty much every major power sees as a threat they are more engrained in the world economy.

1983- The Chilean Revolution
"Viva La Revolucion!"

The cries of the people and the demands for freedom were ringing throughout the streets of Santiago and other cities across from Chile. Various political parties across the spectrum have come together to march in protest against the cruelities of the Pinochet regime.

This was was the Chilean Revolution.

Few people expected that Chile, who was once the target for large amounts of corruptive influence from the United States and CIA out of fear of Allende, would see the man that was placed into power end up falling as such. However, the human rights approach of diplomacy in the Udall Administration pushed by Carter along with the leftover stigma of Panama led for the United States to start scaling back much of its overseas operations. President Udall himself condemned the implementation of the infamous Operation Condor and would cease it, with the CIA forced to close up shop for it. Naturally, many of the leftist forces residing within Latin America celeberated this and saw it as their chance to push back against the various right-wing autocracies that had been put into power or supported by los 'gringos' until now. And one by one, they would all fall.

Guatemala, Nicaragua & El Salvador would see the old regimes begin to fall and forced out as even the military would turn on some of the leaders. Nicaragua's Somoza regime was gone and proper elections were being had. The Liberation front who would soon win in El Salvador would also have to go through the tide of figuring out proper elections and Guatemala would see more and more people join the rebels, with said civil war caused by longstanding issues of unfair land distribution with the European-descended residents and foreign companies, such as the American United Fruit Company, having dominated control over much of the land, leading to conflicts with the rural poor, aloing with the mass murders on the Maya population. [1] And even Panama would start seeing some improvements as Torrijos would begin planning elections after having worked with the US to deal with Manuel Noriega, who attempted a power play along with being found guilty of drug trade involvement.

And then even Argentina would end up on falling, with the junta being pressured to resign in disgrace for their loss in the Falklands War and showcasing the brutal incompetence of the people there (while in contrast, the British victory would bring a fresh rush of support for James Callaghan along with the healing economy, thus resulting in a grand reelection.) It seemed like a matter of time then before even Chile would lose its caudillo. Besides the loss of support of all Operation Condot activities, the growing condemnations against Pinochet regime for their atrocties from across the world and the economic failures of the nation that would be blamed on the policies and direction of the "Chicago Boys", a group of Chilean economists prominent around the 1970s and 1980s, the majority of whom were educated at the Department of Economics of the University of Chicago under Milton Friedman and Arnold Harberger, or at its affiliate in the economics department at the Pontifical Catholic University of Chile. [2] This also added plenty of skepticism on the viability of Friedman's economic stances. Combine this with the electoral debacle that occurred earlier and to where even the Udall administration administered large trade sanctions on Chile, it was too much.

The military would turn on Pinochet and the people come for him and his supporters, starting on May Day. Within the next weeks, more and more people fell and Pinochet himself would be charged and arrested, having be forced to resign and turn himself in, lest he be given to be excuted by the angry mob. As trials would be held over many of the supporters, the need for elections were called in and the various coalitions would go on to try and begin running, all while the various political prisoners would be liberated and the growing number of atrocities and human rights' violations under Chile would be seen in the world.

However, for the people of Chile, the nightmare was over. Pinochet was gone. Chile was free.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1]- Info from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatemalan_Civil_War
[2]- Info and sentences from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Boys

In this case i could see a scenario where Iran plays the soviets and the americans off each other. Maybe Iran ITTL is still the loner state in the Middle East that it is now but since it’s not a theocracy that pretty much every major power sees as a threat they are more engrained in the world economy.
Well, we'll have to wait and see. The new Iranian government will be more amicable toward the Americans than the Soviets, but still be quite wary of any closer negotiations for the time being. Though they will have an opportunity to exploit on growing trends and try assert themselves within the Middle East.

Summer 1983- Starry Summer
As Chile was undergoing its revolution and signifying the twilight of an age of strife over in Latin America, the Americans would bathe in a few accomplishments heralding the further expanse into the stars. The American space probe Pioneer 10 passes the orbit of Neptune, becoming the first man-made object to leave the vicinity of the major planets of the Solar System. Just days later, Sally Ride would become the first American woman in space aboard Space Shuttle Challenger on the STS-7 mission, a major event that would see celeberations held by the growing third wave feminists. This along with further movements in detente brought greater hopes in further international cooperation to further humanity's rise to the starts, for scientific and even potential economic opportunities. Unsurprisingly, they will help catch the public's imagination, especially after Guion Bluford becomes the first African-American in space aboard Space Shuttle Challenger on the STS-8 mission over in the end of summer. [1]

However, while the starry skies would be of cool inspiration, matters were heating up a bit in the United States. During the summer, many Midwestern American states would become affected by a severe drought that would lead to water shortages. The drought also brought back to mind discussions of what would be called "climate change". A phenomenon where the human usage of fossil fuels, deforestation and other practices would lead to dangerous changes in the climate decaded down the line, namely through the overcreation of carbon dioxide along with other "greenhouse gases." This would be referred back to a 1979 report titled “Carbon Dioxide and Climate: A Scientific Assessment”. Said report would be brought up by President Udall as part of an ongoing discussion to better manage resources along with how to limit such matters. This was a primary justification factor in renewing and continuing with the construction of nuclear power plants, albeit with more research to maxmimize efficiency and safety, to move away from fossil fuel usage as quickly as possible. Safety was becoming a concern, especially with an incident in Argrntina where a total loss of coolant occurs at the Embalse Nuclear Power Station, Argentina, becoming classified as an "Accident With Local Consequences" – level 4 on the International Nuclear Event Scale. The same with a how a technical failure would cause release of iodine-131 from the Philippsburg Nuclear Power Plant, Germany. [1] This would be causing growing concerns over the reliance on nuclear power, at least in its current state.

In pop culture, two major records would be released thatwould be of great success throughout the time. Near the end of July, the new band Metallica would popularize thrash metal with their debut album known as Seek & Destroy (titled after the song of the same name in the album) while American singer-songwriter Madonna releases her self-titled debut album, beginning a trend for dance-pop though would also draw the attention of third wave femnism, especially with the details in the song "Burning Up". Meawhile, arcades would see the game Dragon's Lair made by Don Bluth appear and this along with the cult classic animated film, Fire And Ice would help maintain a bit of interest in animation aimed at older audiences and not just for kids. Wargames further encouraged the idea of detente and that the whole idea around nuclear warfare was just not worth it while Mr. Mom becomes a surprising thoughtful hit over the changing times as Jack Butler becomes a stay-at-home father after a painful injury (and a nod to the new American health care system, noting it meant much less worry) while his wife Caroline seeks employment. It shows a sort of reassurance in that being a stay-at-home father is a moral and acceptable, even respectful role along with a joke when Jack reveals he's actually all right with Caroline getting a job; he's just laments that she is working in advertisement, a joke repeated a couple times within the film. [2]

-----------------------------------

[1]: Information and sentences from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983
[2]: Information from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_in_film

Last edited:
However, while the starry skies would be of cool inspiration, matters were heating up a bit in the United States. During the summer, many Midwestern American states would become affected by a severe drought that would lead to water shortages. The drought also brought back to mind discussions of what would be called "climate change". A phenomenon where the human usage of fossil fuels, deforestation and other practices would lead to dangerous changes in the climate decaded down the line, namely through the overcreation of carbon dioxide along with other "greenhouse gases." This would be referred back to a 1979 report titled “Carbon Dioxide and Climate: A Scientific Assessment”. Said report would be brought up by President Udall as part of an ongoing discussion to better manage resources along with how to limit such matters. This was a primary justification factor in renewing and continuing with the construction of nuclear power plants, albeit with more research to maxmimize efficiency and safety, to move away from fossil fuel usage as quickly as possible. Safety was becoming a concern, especially with an incident in Argrntina where a total loss of coolant occurs at the Embalse Nuclear Power Station, Argentina, becoming classified as an "Accident With Local Consequences" – level 4 on the International Nuclear Event Scale. The same with a how a technical failure would cause release of iodine-131 from the Philippsburg Nuclear Power Plant, Germany. [1] This would be causing growing concerns over the reliance on nuclear power, at least in its current state.
Perhaps the Udall administration should look into molten salt reactors as an alternative.

Perhaps the Udall administration should look into molten salt reactors as an alternative.
Maybe! I took a quick look at it and well, not entirely sure on the history of development of it at the time though it would probably be something to be considered.

Thanks for the commentary. I appreciate it :)

Any more questions or matters or so on? I know I am missing stuff probably, so i Can answer. I’m also thinking on how to talk about trends; should I start at the beginning or be better at doing them as reflections, or a two parter there?

Autumn 1983- GNU Developments
Autumn 1983- GNU Developments

NAVSTAR_GPS_logo.png

NAVSTAR GPS logo
As 1983 was dying down with the autumn colors coming, new innovations and development were happening in the field of technology and beyond. After some meetings on the matter and discussions, President Mo Udall announced that the Global Positioning System or GPS will be made available for civilian usage. Another landmark regarding the technological path was a software one; that the GNU Project, a free software, mass collaboration project, would be announced publicly on the net.unix-wizards and net.usoft newsgroups. [1] The purpose behind the GNU Project would be to give computer users freedom and control in their use of their computers and computing devices by collaboratively developing and publishing software that gives everyone the rights to freely run the software, copy and distribute it, study it, and modify it.[2] This along with the growing success of the Commodore 64 and other computation developments showed that it truly was now the era of home computers and programming. More & more people would be drawn to the idea of owning a computer along with going into computer-related fields for buisness venues, especially as they grow more powerful, varied & sophisticated. New companies such as AT&T would be founded, born from the break up of the Bell system a year prior or so.

Meanwhile, unknown to most people, a close call was had when a Soviet computer malfunctioned and displayed a warning of an attack, something which was indicated by Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov. Besides his own distrust of the systems, a reason he pointed out for why he pointed to the warning was false was that it went against the behavior established by the Udall Administration of the United States. Unlike the belligerent Reagan administration before them, the Udall administration was peace-seeking in its goals so the missions made less than zero sense, especially with the extended detente. This incident would not become public knowledge until decades down the line. While he would initially be commended for his job, that's all he got. He received no reward. According to the man himself among others, the incident and other bugs found in the missile detection system embarrassed his superiors and the influential scientists who were responsible for it. If they officially rewarded him, they would have had to be punished for this.
[3] Despite this, it did serve to influence the USSR to further reinforce their connections and detente pace with the United States. With the relations being peaceful between the two superpowers and not being entangled in any foreign affairs, USSR leader Yuri Andropov's focus went onto the Soviet economy, which had been struggling for a while now.

In fact, President Udall has been making himself more and more prominent among the Americans and the world in general. Udall would finalize the creation of Martin Luhe King Jr. Day through the signing of the bill, with the federal holiday being on the third Monday of every January to honor American civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr, which would begin starting 1984. Other important meetings was him alongside Vice President Reubin Askew speaking out against apartheid with the likelihood of beginnings of applying pressure and Udall becoming the first US president to address Japan's national legislation, the National Diet. With his reelection season coming up, a few wondered if he would run again, given the concerns of his health though it seemed that Udall was determined to remain in office. Some speculated that the ongoing HIV/AIDS crisis was a reason why, especially since it would serve as an opportunity to test out the full capabilities of the NBH. In fact, one noted meeting for discussing would be none other than noted AIDS activist Bobbi Campbell. Campbell achieved national attention when he appeared with his partner Bobby Hilliard, on the cover of Newsweek magazine for the story, “Gay America: Sex, Politics, and the Impact of AIDS.” [4] The discussion was partially on HIV/AIDS regarding the health connections and warning people along with to clear any concerns on the matter. However, it was also the beginnings of discussion of the troubles and discrimination that gays, lesbians and other folk that would be identified as part of the greater SATMUN peoples. These discussions would have a prominent effect, especially for Vice President Reubin Askew, over in the oncoming years.

---------------------------------------------------------

[1]- Info taken from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983
[2]- Info taken from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Project
[3]- Info taken from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Soviet_nuclear_false_alarm_incident
[4]- Info taken from here: https://www.hiv.gov/hiv-basics/overview/history/hiv-and-aids-timeline

1983 Overview
1983 Overview
1983 would signal a massive threshold of beginning for many things in not just the United States, but in the rest of the world as well. The true beginning of the public concept of the Internet. The first all-sky infrared survey. The establishment of the United States of America's universal single payer healthcare system, the NBH. The first female astronaut and the first astronaut of African-American descent. Pioneer 10 becomng the first manmade object to leave the Solar System. The public release of GPS for civilian usage. With all of these new developments, it truly heralded a new age of optimism and hope, especially after the malaise years of the 1970s. Many baby-boomers who were coming of age into parenthood and starting families were filled with a sense of hope, promise and improvement. With all of these new developments and reforms, they felt secure in the prosperity of not just themselves, but in the next generations as well. After the swing to the conservative wing starting in the Nixon era, more and more of the prominent voter base now swung back to progressive policies regarding the government and the economy, which in turn also affected culture and society. The brightbangers meanwhile felt similar sensations, albeit in a different degree. With many of them too young or not even born during the prosperity and hope of Kennedy or LBJ, many of them recalled the troubles and issues of the era of Nixon, Ford and especially Reagan. As such, when they were entering young adulthood, they were filled with a fiery passion and a loud demand for change and reforms, an attitude of boisterous and rebellious behavior that would earn them their generational moniker down the line.

At the same time, 1983 also felt like a transitional year in that it was also a year of endings. The megahit show M*A*S*H would end, a show who through the lens of the Korean War, examined the horrors of war along with the social commentary of the Vietnam War. Such anti-war sentiments only increased during the Panama incident and such, the end of the show seemed like the closing of a chapter regarding certain horrors. Pinochet would finally be forced out of office, seemingly ending the wave of military dictatorships and period of terror over in Chile and thus in South America, especially as its neighbors in Argentina and Brazil would prepare for their own free elections months or weeks earlier after the fall of their autocracies. The Labor Party of Britain managed another victory though it would also be the last term of James Callaghan as the leader of the Labor Party, likely signaling the rise of changing times within British politics, both for them and the Whitelaw-led Tories. Rumors circulated Callaghan may resign sooner. Beyond the Anglosphere, some troubles had remained though would seem on the precipice of ending. Iran's war with Iraq gradually edged closer and closer to victory for the new Iranian government, especially as they would get more support from the world. The economy has been recovering more and more from the troubles of years prior yet also with the lessons being examined and learned on how to better deal with similar issues in the future. One was that debt relief and giving people direct financial aid serves as really good ways to stimulate the economy as was seen in handling the Latin America debt crisis. As such, such ideas were taken further into consideration into the future, some nations more than others.

Culturally, it also marked a turning point as well. 1983 would be considered moreso the true beginning of third-wave feminism along with a massive increase in SATMUN peoples' civil rights due to the growing awareness of HIV/AIDS being spread and the nation dealing on how to combat it. People became more receptive to such cultural changes due to the stability put by the Udall administration, moreso as the issue was starting to become address more seriously by state governments and the federal government. The opportunity for change was here and people were moving forward with it. At the same time, people also began looking for more change in the media as people were able to enjoy more of it. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi marked the wrap-up of the Star Wars trilogy and doing exceptionally well. Mr. Mom would find itself becoming more noted over time and reflecting certain aspects and future trends. Wargames served as a cultural reflection point over the pointlessness of nuclear war and people were looking into new and more fantastic venues to see. Television was also beginning to show its changes as noted with Fraggle Rock over on the new Disney Channel and overall, while animated shows were seeing a bit of a boom like Dungeons & Dragons, Alvin & The Chipmunks and especially He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, as it helped start the career for various animators while with having to try and maintain popularity, serving as a bizarre reflection point from a deregulation of the Reagan era that would be put back into place. Music would see the birth of modern pop with Madonna and Metallcia would help forward thrash metal, giving a new form of identity to the youth though also setting the backdrop for more radical underground music movements that would rise.

Last edited:
Anything from 1980 - 1983 that I should cover or that I may have skinned over? I'm gonna try something to go back and cover some stuff I may have missed or ya'll would wanna hear about? :)

1984- Rise Of The Third Wave
1984: Rise Of The Third Wave

02-feminist-posters-see-red-womens-workshop.jpg

Black Women Will Not Be Intimidated, 1980 [Taken from See Red Women's Workshop]
"What defines a woman?" & "Let women be women"

Background
These are the driving phases for what would be called third-wave feminism, the next large iteration of the greater feminist movement, with a common starting date being 1984. However, the factors that would lead to the birth of the third-wave had been in place since the time of Reagan. Reagan's victory in his election over in 1976 is widely considered to be the end of the second-wave, if in part due to the loss of momentum with his election though others were invigorated with a more determined anger. However, Reagan's mishandling of the economy is sometimes considered as large a factor in the decline, if due the systemic shocks it caused and a switching of priorities such as economic security and the various changes. However, beyond just the general sense of strife cause by the economic downturn, it would also widened the gaps considerably within the feminists at the time. It was the beginning of the so-called "sex wars" within the fenimist discussions, regarding the topics of pornography, prostitution, sex as a general view along with other factors, such as the status of transwomen. It also signified the growing troubles caused by women of minority for feeling excluded, not unlike how they were back during the first-wave. By the time the Udall administration would take power in 1981, the second-wave had petered out for the most part, though support obviously remained for progress.

Origin Factors
The third-wave would find its footing from a variety of factors that would end up drawing everyone together. One of which was somewhat surprisingly the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Mainly because of the light shined upon the SATMIN peoples, especially women, that were dealing with the virus somewhat disproportionately compared to the general populaton and were of great aid in helping identification. SATMIN issues such as the right for same-sex marriages, adoptions, equal rights and protections from discriminations resonated deeply from the appearance along with the deeper meaning ones such as on transwomen and dealing with further issues from the leftover of the second-wave. Another factor was the economic depression in it of itself, at least retroactively. With people now having to rely on one another and in a sense of equal suffering, it brought more people together in a sense of soldarity and helped them to unite. The large Solidarity Day protests also served to inspire this; that there were strength and numbers and a general sense of inclusivity was the important point behind it all. An unsurprising contribution was the failure for the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment, due to the Reagan administration's purposeful mishandling and being lost on the priority list due to the economic troubles. At the same time, President Udall's speech mentioning a "silver lining" in it regarding analyzing the bill once more with fresh energy and a new idea not only proved prophetic in the greater rise, but also in the sense of reexamining an older bill from several years down the line, especially in changing times where wording is important. Udall's first magnum opus in the National Bureau of Healthcare also played a part; a surprising aspect over in its creation was the inclusion of birth control, making it easy and afforadable for women to get it. However, concerns about this particular aspect began appearing in the state level, which in turn helped spur on the third-wave in maintaining their new gift and expanding upon on it.

All of these factors helped come together for the third-wave and with the coming of young adulthood for many brightbangers, there was fresh blood and new fire in it, with new fires and opportunities. This fresh blood also was what seperated it moreso from the second-wave. While there were various second-wavers on board with the third-wave, many of the leaders were new ones that were the youngest babyboomers or older brightbangers, working to create a distinct idenity from their predecessors. In fact, many of the more prominent second-wavers found themselves not as fitting in with the movement and more often took a backseat. However, many second-wave feminists of color and non-heterosexuality enjoyed the inviting nature of the third-wavers and found themselves with more prominent positions of influence than a couple decades prior. It would be unsurprising they would work in guiding and leadership positions to better ensure the importance of the needs of women of color and other disadvtanges. This factor would become even more relevent in a speech in the mid-to late 1980s thanks to a surprisingly provacative speech by Vice President Reubin Askew.

Third-Wave Tenets
With this, the primary factors of third-wave feminism came into mind: inclusivity, equity, choice and identity. The third-wave was the most inclusive yet, opening arms more to the marginalized aspects within women. Not just women of color, but also those fitting outside of the sexualities of heterosexuality or lesbianism. Multisexual women also got their chance to speak here and be represented along with the inclusion of transwomen. As the understanding of how gender and sexual orientation evolved iand grew in the decade, it would become more improtant to support. In fact, the discussion of men within feminism was what would also grab attention, namely how the systems that kept and hurt women would do the same for men, if in more subtle ways, pointing out the public pressure with activities they may otherwise may not enjoy, being shamed for enjoying things that were stereotypically considered "feminine" and even being forced into the frontlines of war, a point considered moreso because of the lingering pains of Vietnam prior. Another difference from them and the second-wavers was having a generall sex-positive attitude. Women did enjoy sex, but were always told it was wrong to do so along with the unfair biases. It was about them having the choice and being who they are, having the prevailing attitude and the issue of double-standards maintained by past stigmas. As such, "let women be women." This also coincided with the growing need to address pornography and prositution with more nunance. These issues would become increasingly relevant with the working class as parallels would come to be drawn in their surprising similarities with their issues.

This growing stance of inclusivity and the resonance of choice and identity would strike a chord with a gradually growing number of people at the time, as it was something they could understand. Additionally, more varied approaches were considered, especially with the culture and the political climate. General campaigning and reform was also viable along with outreach to community to strengthen the numbers. Communicating with more people would ensure and foster understanding, a trend that would be picked and used also among the growing SATMIN equality movement and would reinforce the other. Other times, marches and protests were held as unsurprisingly, there would still be opposition, if in a more assorted bunch. While the standard religious conseratives, machismo adherents and other traditional foes stood against them, they were estesnively divided and weakened by their association to Reagan during the late 1970s and have not recovered any real influence or opposition, with even a few hardliners in conflict. However, some of the remnants of the second-wave was in either uneasy alliance or outright opposition, such as TERFs and SWERFS, though this would also be to the advantage of the third wave in contrasting themselves. Throughout the 1980s, the movement would only grow, influecing politics, culture, the media and even economics to a degree.

Last edited:
Wargames served as a cultural reflection point over the pointlessness of nuclear war and people were looking into new and more fantastic venues to see.
I’d recommend The Day After and Threads being mentioned, as they were also famous 1980s nuclear war movies too.

Last edited: