America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

When able, research reformers for Gorbachev to use for cabinet posts, so no coup attempt against him takes place, research the main eight involved as well.

Any further questions on some of the new DC Comics stuff or whatnot?

While it is a change, some of the stuff remains the same like with a good chunk of 1980s music and the like. I am trying to touch as many facets and cover as much as I can.

Fixed it. The Cosby Show, the only 80's sitcom I can recall at the moment.
Well, I already mentioned Mr. Mom and Breakfast Club as films that were changed a bit. I know Ferris Bueller's Day Off would be too. A fair bit of some of the coming of age teenager stories have a bit of a more down-to-earth tone. Alot of them obviously have the themes of rebellion, but the tones are deeper. Not just because of youth, but reflecting the growing elements of third wave feminism and SATMIN civil rights along with a complicated perspective on the baby boomers, or at least those who leaned toward Nixon and Reagan.

As for Cosby Show... that will be discussed soon.

I'd see many Americans as, while still not fully trusting the Soviets under Gorbachev, they see it as a good sign that he's trying to open his country more politically.

Any further questions on some of the new DC Comics stuff or whatnot?

While it is a change, some of the stuff remains the same like with a good chunk of 1980s music and the like. I am trying to touch as many facets and cover as much as I can.

I think your ideas would have fixed a fair amount of the flaws.

Pretty sure Pied Piper would come out sooner.
Maybe he gets a decent boyfriend in this world? The longest-lasting relationship Piper had IOTL was with James "the architect with no surname", who shared that first name with Trickster (Piper's best friend).

As for LSH, Mark Waid admitted in his introduction to the "Legionnaires Vol. 1" TPB that they were slapping patches over patches to even attempt fixing the post-Crisis continuity... and it didn't work. Which is why they started over from the beginning, after "Zero Hour" allowed them a chance to build a better foundation.

Though there is a way to solve the whole "Legion was inspired by Superboy" problem. Why not have the Teen Titans be the inspiration instead?

I think your ideas would have fixed a fair amount of the flaws.

Pretty sure Pied Piper would come out sooner.
Maybe he gets a decent boyfriend in this world? The longest-lasting relationship Piper had IOTL was with James "the architect with no surname", who shared that first name with Trickster (Piper's best friend).

As for LSH, Mark Waid admitted in his introduction to the "Legionnaires Vol. 1" TPB that they were slapping patches over patches to even attempt fixing the post-Crisis continuity... and it didn't work. Which is why they started over from the beginning, after "Zero Hour" allowed them a chance to build a better foundation.

Though there is a way to solve the whole "Legion was inspired by Superboy" problem. Why not have the Teen Titans be the inspiration instead?

We'll see what happens with what they do with Pied Piper and what not.

Well here, they are starting over from the beginning. Basically elements of "Zero Hour" are now mixed in with "Crisis on Infinite Earths." With the real world changing as much as they did ITTL, it pushed them to go further, hence pretty much starting over from the beginning.

The Legion is also because they're still laying down the new foundation... and waiting for things to calm down so they could try and figure out how to do the futuristic setting.

1986 Overview
1986 Overview
1986 serves as a prominent new beginning for the United States and the world as a whole. It served as the first year since the awareness of the danger of climate change entered the mainstream. Additionally, the fact that said danger was caused by big business, primarily that of the fossil fuel industry along with some of their affiliates and connections, served to reinforce the direction of American culture toward more naturalist means. Another cultural cornerstone would be in the success of the Second Civil Rights Act, protecting people from being discriminated for their sexual orientation regarding various aspects of life and the workplace, though there was still alot of work left to do. The same was saying to the growing accomplishments and actions by third-wave feminism, especially with a couple of high profile arrests. Meanwhile, this was not the only revolution going on at the time. The Philippines would finally oust their leader through the power of the people, and the new president was treated with honors when she came over to visit the United States to speak with President Udall. Along with that, there was the growing reforms of the Soviet Union under the new leader of Gorbachev. From reinstating an updated version of NEP to cooperating further with the United States on international issues, especially with the growing improtance of climate change. As such, hope and the desire for change was fueled by this strong rebellious spirit.

Technology was becoming a greater herald of process. The US and USSR had close calls with their space program and nuclear program respectively, but active caution won out and served as a reminder to keep safety as a high standard while also to pursue even greater venues to minimize risque and cooperate, best seen with supposed plans for more space-based operations along with the next generation of nuclear reactors. New devices and systems were growing, especially with the Soviets now getting a foundation for their own computer sciences. The World's Fair of this year was an example of seeing the desire for developing further technologies. One growing interest area was in public transporation. This was the result of a combination of factors; the decline of the American automobile industry along with the appeal of the automobile in general, the federal introduction of land value taxes providing incentive to begin further development of public transporation such as trams, the observation on public transporation being more efficient and leading to less fossil fuel usage among various other factors.

Meanwhile, Hollywood was slowing down with its films. Platoon proved itself to be the most prominent while Disney's The Great Mouse Detective proved to be quite a delightful hit. The famous 1979 film Alien would get a sequel over in Aliens: Retribution, which would become a massive smash hit in following up the horror and the action of the previous film along with the prominence of Ellen Ripley. Beyond the various reasons for the film taking years to get off the ground, they had to tweak some of the angles because of the different cultural zeitgeist though noted that given the 57 year time-gap between the first film and the second, it worked quite well and reflected such This included a few lines on how Weyland-Yutani Corporation over the past few decades have been cut down and threatened by a resurgence of political activists and political leaders they couldn't bribe. Another was on the ending; after Ripley kills off the Queen, she gets a emssage not from WY, but from a political agent telling Ripley for her and her crew to return home to testify against Weyland-Yutani. Other massive hits would include the stand out Labyrinth, created by Henson once more alongside Disney and their Touchstone Pictures division and Big Trouble in Little China. Stand By Me would become one of the bigger hits, showing the story of 4 boys journeying to find a dead body and exploring tough life lessons. Blue Velvet would be a psychological horror film done by the legendary David Lynch that would become a cult classic. Perhaps one of the more influential hits though no one suspected at the time would be My Little Pony: The Movie. While unsurprisingly of so-so quality, the fantastic world along with the ponies' struggle against the demonic centaur did catch some people's imaginations and would get the ball rolling for a possible crossover down the line.