Triple Calamity: What if the Three Most Important Men in the Executive Branch Died in One Night?

I have never written a timeline on this site. I've read a lot of other people's timelines and I have greatly enjoyed american political history, but I never thought my knowledge base was large enough or my writing skills good enough to try my hand at writing a timeline. That said on my own in a google document I wrote an alternate history timeline (or at least a basic outline of one) for my own enjoyment. I actually think it's pretty good and I'm willing to share it. Don't feel shy to tell me if something is unrealistic, chilched or doesn't make any sense I'd be more than happy to revise and or go more in depth.

Triple Calamity has the POD of George Atzerodt not losing his nerve and Lewis Powell directing his stab just a bit better. Thus Lincoln, Johnson and Seward all die on the same day. I'm sure many of you american history nerds had guessed that by the title. It's a relatively popular hypothetical I gather, but I didn't know that when I started writing . Take this as my twist. Thank you to everyone who might take their time to read my senario! Hope I can pump updates out in a timely manner!
5a50b63d6846097ad6687ca6c6465950 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I think this has been hypotheiszed before - but never a full timeline.

Lets see:

Lafayette S Foster is the senate pro-tem, so he becomes Acting President, I believe. But he is only the President for a few months?
Which means there is a special election in 1865, which quite possibly means that Grant is elected 4 years earlier, given he was the man of the hour.

Chapter 1: April 14th 1865
10:10 PM- He vigorously pounded at the door. Perhaps a bit too vigours. Powell stopped to calm himself before the door to the home slid open. A black man stared back at Powell.
"Sir?"
"Ah. Uh. Yes. Uhm," Powell grabbed a small vile out of his pocket. "Terribly sorry, Doctor Verdi requested that I deliver this medicinal product to the Secretary," the servant blankly stared back at Powell before responding.
"The good doctor had requested that Mr. Seward remain undisturbed. Mister?-"
"No, no I am the doctors personal assistant he simply forgot to hand this vile to the secretaries' son." The servant looked back into the house and then back to Powell.
"If you would excuse me for just a moment-"
"No! No time. I insist!" Powell knew he had pushed his luck. He pushed past the black servant and rushed inside the home and started rushing up the stairs.
"Excuse me sir!" Powell looked up to see the face of Fredrick Seward. The eldest son of the man he was rushing to visit.
"Ah. Uhm Mr. Seward. I must see your father I have some- Uh." The next few seconds were a blur. He and Fredrick argued some it was really going nowhere. He had a mission. He pulled out his gun and fired at Fredrick. The gun misfired. Fuck. Powell slammed the gun against Seward's head, barged through the bedroom door, pulled out a knife slashed a guard against the arm and began giving his all, right at the bedridden Secretary of State's face and neck. Powell heard his knife clanking on some sort of metal. He saw the brace around Seward’s neck that was supporting his broken jaw. In a split second decision Powell removed the brace just enough to thrust his knife into Seward's neck. [1]. He knew then that his end of the plan was accomplished.

10:15 PM- Booth knew this play. He'd preformed it before. He bet he could recite every line of Our American Cousin by heart. The audience always laughed at one line. One line that blew the roof off. Wait... Wait... Wait...
"Well, I guess I know you enough to turn you inside out old gal; you sockdologizing old man-trap!" The president laughed for the very final time. Booth squeezed his index finger and... BANG. The next moments were a blur. A man jumped towards him, Booth slashed him on the arm. Seeing few other options he jumped to the stage. He felt a sharp pain in his leg, he knew he had to say something to the audience who just witnessed John Wilkes Booth's magnum opus. So, Uh.
"Sic Semper Tyrannus! The South is Avenged!"

10:17 PM- Oh god. Oh god. Come on George you have the courage. Oh lord almighty. I can do it I can! Atzerodt looked towards the stairs of the hotel. Then back to that sweet sweet bar. Then to the stairs. Then to-. [2] No. No not back to that damn bar. George Atzerodt will be a name feared by the north and honored by the south! He oughta slay the traitor from Tennessee! With all the courage he could muster he rushed up the stairs of the Kirkwood House. He walked down the hall, towards the Vice President's room for... admittedly the second time. He chickened out the first. NO MATTER! He walked right up to the right door and knocked! Oh shit. Oh fuck. What have I done by god! The palm grasping the revolver in his hand got very sweaty as he watched the door knob turn and then the door open and then- BANG.

10:22 PM-
"BY GOD! HAVE YOU HEARD! THE PRESIDENT'S BEEN SHOT!"
"Not just him sir! I heard from my dearest that the Secretary of State was stabbed just down the road!"
"No! That simply cannot be! I heard that the Vice President was slain at the Kirkwood House!"

TRIPLE CALAMITY!
PRESIDENT LINCOLN DECLARED DEAD BY DOCTORS!
SECRETARY OF STATE SEWARD DEAD MERE MINUTES AFTER STABBING!
VICE PRESIDENT JOHNSON CLINGING TO LIFE IN HIS HOTEL ROOM SURROUNDED BY FAMILY!

New York Herald April 15th with it's infamous Triple Headlines
"The death of Seward was found out relatively quickly. He died almost immediately following the stabbings at somewhere around 10:12 the night of April 14th. Over the next ten minutes both the President and Vice President would be mortally wounded. Most congressmen and cabinet members would be awoken around 11:00. The timeline gets confusing around here. We know that at 1:00 AM many members of congress convened to figure out who would succeed Lincoln, should Johnson not survive. It is not known when a consensus was reached. What is known is that there was bitter debate between many figures over whether it was to be the Senate Pro Tempore Lafayette S Foster or the Speaker of the House Schuyler Colfax. From a couple memoirs however, we can gather it was never a real debate, most people there thought the radical republicans were just complaining. To most it was natural that the head of the senate should assume the Presidency it's the 'upper house' of course. That said the radical view was that Colfax ought to be President because he was the Speaker of the People's House. After some re-readings of the constitution, it became clear that the Foster faction won out. From what I was able to gather this happened sometime between 3:00 and 6:00 AM. To appease the radicals however a special election would be held in November to ensure the people don't have a president no one voted for.

At 7:22 in the morning President Lincoln was pronounced dead. The next day on the 17th as Johnson's doctors made it more clear to congress that he wouldn't make it, preparations were made to swear in Foster. The congressmen who weren't in the initial meeting were promptly informed of the line of succession around noon on the 17th. The next day's newspapers announced to the people that Foster would be sworn in should Johnson die. At 3:44 AM on April 19th Vice President Johnson died. At 4:24 the same morning, Lafayette S Foster became the 17th President of the United States. (Some circles like to say that he is actually the 18th President because Johnson was president for two days yet that is false, as Johnson was never sworn in. Instead those two days simply had no president at all.)"

- From The President No One Voted For
by Kieren Hutchinson, published 1982

[1] - The first POD, in our timeline the brace deflected the most damaging knife blows. (For those unaware Seward had been in a carriage accident a few days prior which is why he was in a brace.)

[2] - The second POD, in our timeline George went to get a drink to bolster the nerves. He never went upstairs.

Treat this as a prologue. It'll be the shortest update by far.
-

Last edited:
I think this has been hypotheiszed before - but never a full timeline.

Lets see:

Lafayette S Foster is the senate pro-tem, so he becomes Acting President, I believe. But he is only the President for a few months?
Which means there is a special election in 1865, which quite possibly means that Grant is elected 4 years earlier, given he was the man of the hour
Basically for the year. The election will be in november and whoever the next president is ;) will be inaugurated in March of 66'.

Chapter 2: An Emboldened South and a Confused Bureaucracy
"Atzerodt and Powell were both arrested not far from the locations of their crimes. The angry populous of DC ensured that. Practically as soon as they were in handcuffs a death sentence was assured. Booth however was missing. President Foster rushed to organize the biggest manhunt in American history. After his swearing in he offered 100 thousand dollars cash for anyone who got Booth alive and $10,000 for any information on the conspirators. Within the next two days most people even tangentially involved in the assassinations were in cuffs and awaiting what were going to be speedy trials.

On April 23 the three bodies were prepared the largest funeral procession in American history. Millions of people turned out as to catch a glimpse. Each body would be returned to their hometowns. Thus three trains were sent off in different directions. One to New York, one to Tennessee and of course one to Illinois. Every newspaper in the north, Republican leaning or Democratic leaning, paid their respects to the three men. In fact many southern newspapers would do the same identifying the time as one of sorrow. (Also probably hoping for some brownie points). When news of the assassinations reached the remaining confederate soldiers and officials reactions were mixed. Some saw it as dishonorable. Many commanders surrendering in the coming weeks. Others however, saw the assassinations as a blessing."

- From Lincoln
by Jack Howe, published 2002

"Even though Lee surrendered few can consider that moment to be the end of the American Civil War. For many confederate soldiers the Triple Calamity was seen as a total decapitation of the US government. Some believed that they could continue the fight. The War Department and Stanton realized this after the Battle of Columbus on April 16th. You see, pretty much all throughout April 15th the Federal Government was quite loud. Relaying orders to union divisions throughout the south that even though it was a time of mourning, it was also a time of vengeance. These telegraphs were probably a mistake as Confederate generals would also relay the information to their soldiers on the 15th and 16th. General James H. Wilson had been given a order to capture one of the last Confederate supply hubs at Columbus, Georgia. He had ninety five hundred men at his command outnumbering Confederate general Howell Cobbs garrison by 3:1. Yet Wilson and his men didn't capture Columbus on the 16th. They were repelled at least two times before they finally took the city on the 18th after heavy casualties. All things considered that should've been an easy battle with no less than a hundred losses. [1] Instead 1000 more men lost their lives.

The Confederate garrison had learned of the Triple Calamity mere hours before the battle began. It seems like a mixture of Union sadness and Confederate lifted spirits cost 1000 union lives for a small town. When that news was relayed back to DC along with reports of supply line attacks and near constant calvary raids, it became clear that the war would be continuing in some form or another for some time..."

From The Final Months: American Civil War April-September
By Lindsey Beck, Published 1955

"Aside from the manhunt for Booth, President Foster had a lot on his docket. First he needed a new Secretary of State. As it was that particular Secretary that was needed to begin the special election process. It wasn't much of a competition of who luckily. The current assistant SoS was Frederick Seward. Though he was injured after a pistol whipping given to him by the assassin of his father, he was also the perfect choice. Foster appointed him to the vacancy, and within a week the Senate near unanimously approved him. Frederick had little time to mourn. After his appointment was confirmed he informed the States that a special election was to be held on the first Tuesday of November and thus they should begin preparations for elections.

President Foster was rapidly approached by many political figures in congress to see what his view on reconstruction was. Foster himself was a moderate and hoped to follow the example of Lincoln. This infuriated many radical republicans who believed that Foster was nothing more than a lame duck and that 1865 was going to be a year of nothing on the issue of reconstruction. They weren't really wrong either. Foster really was hoping to kick all these issues down the road until the next president was inaugurated. He had no real intention of doing anything meaningful other than stop the government from collapsing. He essentially moved to be nice to everyone. Did the confederate states commit suicide and forfeit their right to statehood? Foster said maybe. Can former confederate states participate in the special election? Foster said absolutely not. This didn't really jive with congress.

One thing Foster did want to achieve and fast was the end of the war. On April 20th Foster met with General Ulysses S. Grant. Foster was hoping to be able to declare the war over. If he does that, then he can say anyone still holding up arms is committing full treason and won't be eligible for post war amnesty. Grant told the President that he probably couldn't take that action until General Sherman receives a full surrender from General Joseph E. Johnston's 30,000 men in North Carolina."

"General Johnston told his general staff his intent to agree to General Sherman's final terms of unconditional surrender on April 23rd. About half of his general staff agreed and half certainly did not. After a lot of back and forth, Johnston, sick of the war, left the camp with around 18 thousand of the soldiers. They accepted the terms of Sherman. He then warned the union general that around 12 thousand men wouldn't accept the offer. Sherman continued to parlay with these men for a couple weeks. By May 15th, 12 thousand was whittled down to around 8,200. Sherman thought he could have a surrender by the end of May, but with extreme pressure from the War Department and under the encouragement of General Grant, Sherman gave a final date of May 20th. If the 8,000 didn't surrender unconditionally by that day there would be a battle. This whittled 8,000 down to 6,000 and after a quick skirmish near Greensboro the Department of Tennessee fully surrendered. May 21st is considered to be the last official day of the war....

...When news reached Jefferson Davis and his few remaining cabinet members of the surrender, they had one final meeting in a friend’s house in Georgia where Davis officially declared the dissolving of the Confederate government. Davis had actually pulled together a small army with Secretary of War, John Breckinridge, and had continued fighting for around a month. After dissolving the nation he ordered his men to surrender before attempting to flee to Europe. However, both Davis and Breckinridge were caught trying to flee to Europe on May 25th. Both were taken to a jail cell in Maryland...

...fighting would continue until mid-September yet by this point, President Foster had declared an end to the war saying, "Any citizen maintaining a rebellion against the United States by July 4th is nothing more than a looter or raider and shall be dealt with as one." After the 4th, news of confederate skirmishes had mostly stopped circulating as well. Most eyes were now on the upcoming election..."

"After declaring the end of the war, the President took more concrete stances on reconstruction. First off, he made it clear that re-admission to the union was none of his business as it wouldn't be happening before the special election anyway. In the meantime, he followed congressional advice and set up a plan to establish basic military districts. [2] He assured the people of the south these districts were temporary. On July 30th, he offered amnesty to any soldier in the confederate army who's personal property didn't exceed $15,000. He made it clear that pardons for confederate officers were to be on a case to case basis. (Though he did offer Robert E. Lee and Joseph Johnston pardons for their timely surrenders.) He also announced that the federal government would be prosecuting certain confederate congressmen and of course they would also prosecute Jefferson Davis and his cabinet. Attorney General Bates prepared a mobilization of the Justice Department.

Controversially, Foster shut down Sherman's thirty acres and a mule plan. Saying, "No major moves such as Sherman's redistribution should be carried out until after the election." He ensured that the War Department had strong oversight over the military districts to ensure they were only keeping the peace and not much more. Foster also in tandem with allies in the moderate republican and democratic caucuses made sure every military district would have an elected council of local unionists to help advise the military administrations.

Many people even today criticize Foster's early reconstruction. It's pretty clear that he didn't want to be micromanaging reconstruction and bigger than that, didn't really want to be president. The Foster reconstruction instead delegated rebuilding to congress, the DoJ, the Department of War and anyone else he could find to keep the nation floating until March 4 1866."

From RECONSTRUCTION: A Complete History
by Doris Goodman, published 1999

[1]: Essentially what happened in the real Battle of Columbus
[2]: Roughly the same borders as the districts established in OTL. I'll go in more depth about each one after the special election.

Next chapter will be tomorrow! Yes it'll be about the special election. Sorry to the people that are big on strategy and stuff. I'm not militarily minded so I couldn't go that in to depth with the war stuff. I think you get the point.:cool:
-​

Last edited:
Pictures thus far
CCA348C1-BE30-4988-A6D4-1E55B73AC1C4.jpeg

The 17th President of the United States

EB769208-914D-4897-A7AA-0AE406FB4CD3.jpeg

Frederick Seward. Secretary of State succeeding his father.

D95B6B8C-AA3D-483C-A8BB-812918219551.jpeg

The Funeral Carriage that carried Vice President Johnson during the funeral procession.
DD92B2AC-8029-42A4-82EF-900C3E92518E.jpeg

Columbus, Georgia. Location of the Battle that prolonged the war.
79E645F5-634A-4D06-B516-B5DF7645CCF9.jpeg

Schuyler Colfax. The Speaker of the House with high ambitions

Last edited:
I can't wait for the book titles that will come off of this...

Fourty Eight Hours: The Two Days Without A President

The Ides of April: Booth's Night of Treason

The Last Conspiracy: John Wilkes Booth and the End of the Civil War

Man, the conspiracy theories from this are going to be interesting, methinks...

Good start, and waiting for more, of course...

"Atzerodt and Powell were both arrested not far from the locations of their murders. The angry populous of DC ensured that. Practically as soon as they were in handcuffs a death sentence was assured. Booth however was missing. President Foster rushed to organize the biggest manhunt in American history. After his swearing in he offered 100 thousand dollars cash for anyone who got Booth alive and $10,000 for any information on the conspirators. Within the next two days most people even tangentially involved in the assassinations were in cuffs and awaiting what were going to be speedy trials.

On April 23 the three bodies prepared the largest funeral procession in American history began. Millions of people turned out as to catch a glimpse. Each body would be returned to their hometowns. Thus three trains were sent off in different directions. One to New York, one to Tennessee and of course one to Illinois. Every newspaper in the north, republican leaning or democratic leaning paid their respects to the three men. In fact many southern newspapers would do the same identifying the time as one of sorrow. (Also probably hoping for some brownie points). When news of the assassinations reached the remaining confederate soldiers and officials reactions were mixed. Some saw it as dishonorable. Many commanders surrendering in the coming weeks. Others however, saw the assassinations as a blessing."

- From Lincoln
by Jack Howe, published 2002

"Even though Lee surrendered few can consider that moment to be the end of the American Civil War. For many confederate soldiers the Triple Calamity was seen as a total decapitation of the US government. Some believed that they could continue the fight. The War Department and Stanton realized this after the Battle of Columbus on April 16th. You see, pretty much all throughout April 15th the federal government was quite loud. Relaying orders to union divisions throughout the south that even though it was a time of mourning it was also a time of vengeance. These telegraphs were probably a mistake as confederate generals would also relay the information to their soldiers on the 15th and 16th. General James H. Wilson had been given a order to capture one of the last confederate supply hubs at Columbus, Georgia. He had ninety five hundred men at his command outnumbering confederate general Howell Cobbs garrison by 3:1. Yet Wilson and his men didn't capture Columbus on the 16th. They were repelled at least two times before they finally took the city on the 18th after heavy casualties. All things considered that should've been an easy battle with no less than a hundred loses. [1] Instead 1000 more men lost their lives.

The confederate garrison had learned of the Triple Calamity mere hours before the battle began. It seems like a mixture of Union sadness and Confederate lifted spirits cost 1000 union lives for a small town. When that news was relayed back to DC along with reports of supply line attacks and near constant calvary raids it became clear that the war would be continuing in some form or another for some time..."

"Aside from the manhunt for Booth, President Foster had a lot on his docket. First he needed a new Secretary of State. It was that particular Secretary that was needed to begin the special election process. It wasn't much of a competition of who luckily. The current assistant SoS was Frederick Seward. Though he was injured after a pistol whipping given to him by the assassin of his father, he was also the perfect choice. Foster appointed him to the vacancy and within a week the senate near unanimously approved him. Frederick had little time to mourn. After his appointment was confirmed he informed all the states in the union that a special election was to be held on the first tuesday of November and thus they should begin preparations for elections.

President Foster was rapidly approached by many political figures in congress to see what his view on reconstruction was. Foster himself was a moderate and hoped to follow the example of Lincoln. This infuriated many radical republicans who believed that Foster was nothing more than a lame duck and that 1865 was going to be a year of nothing on the issue of reconstruction. They weren't really wrong either. Foster really was hoping to kick all these issues down the road until the next president was inaugurated. He had no real intention of doing anything meaningful other than stop the government from collapsing. He essentially moved to be nice to everyone. Did the confederate states commit suicide and forfeit their right to statehood? Foster said maybe. Can former confederate states participate in the special election? Foster said absolutely not. This didn't really jive with congress.

One thing Foster did want to achieve and fast was the end of the war. On April 20th Foster met with General Ulysses S. Grant. Foster was hoping to be able to declare the war over. If he does that then he can say anyone still holding up arms is committing full treason and won't be eligible for post war amnesty. Grant told the President that he probably couldn't take that action until General Sherman recives a full surender from General Joseph E. Johnston's 30,000 men in North Carolina."

"General Johnston told his general staff his intent to agree to General Sherman's final terms of unconditional surrender on April 23rd. About half of hs general staff agreed and half certainly did not. After a lot of back and forth Johnston, sick of the war left the camp with around 18 thousand of the soldiers. The accepted the terms of Sherman. He then warned the union general that around 12 thousand men wouldn't accept the offer. Sherman continued to parley with these men for a couple weeks. By May 15th 12 thousand was whittled down to around 8,200. Sherman thought he could have a surrender by the end of May but with extreme pressure from the War Department and under the encouragement of General Grant, Sherman gave a final date of May 20th. If the 8,000 didn't surrender unconditionally by that day there would be a battle. This whittled 8,000 down to 6,000 and after a quick skirmish near Greensboro the Department of Tennessee fully surrendered. May 21st is considered to be the last official day of the war....

...When news reached Jefferson Davis and his few remaining cabinet members of the surrender, they had one final meeting in a friends house in Georgia where Davis officially declared the dissolving of the Confederate government. Davis had actually pulled together a small army with Secretary of War John Breckinridge and had continued fighting for around a month. After dissolving the nation he ordered his men to surrender before attempting to flee to europe. However both Davis and Breckinridge were caught trying to flee to Europe on May 25th. Both were taken to a jail cell in Maryland...

...fighting would continue until mid september yet by this point President Foster had declared an end to the war saying. "Any citizen maintaining a rebellion against the United States by July 4th is nothing more than a looter or raider and shall be dealt with as one." After the 4th news of confederate skirmishes had mostly stopped circulating as well. Most eyes were now on the upcoming election..."

"After declaring the end of the war the President took some more concrete stances on reconstruction. First off he made it clear that re-admission to the union was none of his business as it wouldn't be happening before the special election anyway. In the meantime he followed congressional advice and set up a plan to establish basic military districts. [2] He assured the people of the south these districts were temporary. On July 30th he offered amnesty to any soldier in the confederate army who's personal property didn't exceed $15,000. He made it clear that pardons for confederate officers were to be on a case to case basis. (Though he did offer Robert E. Lee and Joseph Johnston pardons for their timely surrenders.) He also announced that the federal government would be prosecuting certain confederate congressmen and of course they would also prosecute Jefferson Davis and his cabinet. Attorney General Bates prepared a mobilization of the justice department.

Controversially Foster shut down Sherman's thirty acres and a mule plan. Saying that "No major moves such as Sherman's redistribution should be carried out until after the election." He ensured that the War Department had strong oversight over the military districts to ensure they were only keeping the peace and not much more. Foster also in tandem with allies in the moderate republican and democratic caucuses made sure every military district would have an elected council of local unionists to help advise the military administrations.

Many people even today criticize Foster's early reconstruction. It's pretty clear that he didn't want to be micromanaging reconstruction and bigger than that didn't really want to be president. The Foster reconstruction instead delegated rebuilding to congress, the DoJ, the SoW and anyone else he could find to keep the nation floating until March 4th 1866."

From RECONSTRUCTION: A Complete History
by Doris Goodman, published 1999

[1]: Essentially what happened in the real Battle of Columbus
[2]: Roughly the same borders as the districts established in OTL. I'll go in more depth about each one after the special election.

Next chapter will be tomorrow! Yes it'll be about the special election. Sorry to the people that are big on strategy and stuff. I'm not militarily minded so I couldn't go that in to depth with the war stuff. I think you get the point.:cool:
-​
Also sorry I didn’t mention it in the update but yes congress is recalled far earlier than in our timeline which was in December. Reconstruction starts early.

I can't wait for the book titles that will come off of this...

Fourty Eight Hours: The Two Days Without A President

The Ides of April: Booth's Night of Treason

The Last Conspiracy: John Wilkes Booth and the End of the Civil War
Maybe in the future I’ll do an update based off the in timeline conspiracy theories.

Chapter 3: The Election of 1865
"The beginning of the special election process started around May of 1865. It's well known that congress had agreed to hold one just days after the Triple Calamity under the 1792 Succession Act, but the gears of bureaucracy didn't begin turning until mid-May when the State Department alerted the union of it's imminence. A few days after the state governments were warned, local news was informed and thus the people were as well. The first headache that came with the announcement of the special election was continued violence throughout the states still in rebellion. Many southern whites became quite infuriated at the notion that they would not be voting. Some of these men ended up joining local confederate garrisons (or early White Leagues), to take out their anger, which once again prolonged the war in the south. President Foster had initially hoped to declare the war's end in late May, yet the influx of new confederates post-election announcement caused the President to postpone his declaration until July."

-From Resentment in Dixie
by Peter Barnett, published 1927

"The general election was a foregone conclusion. It was clear to everyone that the Democratic Party, no matter how hard it tried, would lose. The only question was by how much. The truth is with every southern state removed from the election and the national mood firmly in republican hands even the border states weren't assured Democratic wins. This meant that the real election was going to be the Republican nomination process. Many candidates threw their hats into the ring. Schuyler Colfax the Speaker of the House was first. He said that should he be elected, congress would have free reign over reconstruction. That was appealing to many. Then there was Hannibal Hamlin, the former Vice President encouraged his friends to offer his name to the convention. Hamlin ran on a return to the first "true" republican administration under Lincoln. Then there was Salmon Chase, Lincoln's old Republican rival.

All three of these men were expected and somewhat boring. Sure if nominated they would win. Yet they weren't inspiring. Some urged President Foster to run for a proper election. He adamantly declined any offer. However, many moderate Republicans seeing the field full of "radicals" decided they would push for Foster anyway unless there was a better alternative. Some people believed they had found that better alternative.: Ulysses S. Grant.

For the better part of a year General Ulysses S. Grant had been constantly pestered over politics. Reporters would consistently try to find out if Grant was a Republican or Democrat. In June, just a week before the Republican National Convention (planned to be held in Springfield, Illinois to honor the late President Lincoln) Grant affirmed he was a Republican to the press. "I generally lean more towards that side of the boat. Yes."- Grant said in response to a reporter asking if he leaned Republican. Grant thought he was safe. He didn't say he was a Republican just that he leaned towards them. Either way, that was enough for most of the party to see Grant as the perfect candidate."

-From GRANT
by Howell Leanman, published 1977

Presidential Ballots1234Vice Presidential Ballots12
US. Grant198301315488H. Hamlin222378
L. Foster150150150152S. Colfax17822
S. Colfax11811711210R. Fenton150155
H. Hamlin960N/A00
S. Chase8882730N/A00

"These were the final results of the 1865 Republican National Convention in Springfield, Illinois. The first ballot set the tone almost immediately. Most of the delegates upon seeing the early Grant lead began to make deals with the people who voted for Grant. The funny thing is the delegates that voted for Grant didn't really know his political views, few knew the man at all. Thus 198 republicans got anointed as campaign managers for a man they had never really met. They were a mix of moderates and radicals so over the course of the convention, Grant was portrayed as a man who supported Land Distribution yet also supported the immediate readmission of all southern states. As voting on the second ballot got closer and closer, the radical Grant supporters promised the Hamlin men the Vice Presidency. Some moderate Grantite men were off put by this. After all, Hamlin was a radically inclined man from Maine. That said, Hamlin might also inspire the American people as he was the former Vice President under Lincoln, making him almost a return to normalcy. (An odd thought considering he was Vice President in the thick of the war.) Either way, with Hamlin encouraging his men to flip to Grant, the conclusion was foregone. After some radical flips on the third ballot it became very clear that Grant would be nominated. On the 4th the rest of the radicals hopped on board with Grant.

Interestingly enough, the actual man that had just been nominated as the Republican nominee had absolutely no clue. Grant had been informed that some delegates were going to put his name forward, but in Grant's mind there was no way that rich politicians would choose him over the President of the United States or the Speaker of the People's House. Yet on June 22nd, the same day as the convention, Grant was given a message via telegram at his father's house in Cincinnati. Jesse Root Grant read the message first and nearly had a heart attack. He sent his boy to the train station that night headed to Illinois.

Back in Springfield it was time to nominate the Vice President. The choices were Hamlin for the Grant men and moderate radicals, Colfax for the radical radicals and Ruben Fenton, a former democrat from New York who was nominated by the moderate faction. It didn't take long for Hamlin to be nominated fulfilling the Grant supporters' promise.

The next day Grant arrived in Springfield. He met his new Vice President and walked into a room full of cheers and banners. Grant would later write that "The Republican National convention felt more like a coronation to the Presidency than a nomination as the Republican Party's choice to the Presidency...

Presidential Ballot1234......353637Vice Presidential Ballot1
H. Seymour22015144151240G. Pendleton159
G. Pendleton5513311210354662WS. Hancock158
WS. Hancock2669991221037720N/A
Numerous Others21411510597162355N/A

Not nearly as many people focus on the Democratic National Convention during the special election. That makes sense considering the outcome of the general election, but the 1865 Democratic National Convention was very interesting. Of the fifteen candidates in contention for the nomination only three actually wanted to become the nominee. Of those three only one, George Pendleton had a shot to get the nomination. Everyone within the hall knew that the democrats would lose the special election and so we had the interesting circumstance of candidates telling delegates not to vote for them. Chief among them was Horatio Seymour. On the first ballot 22 people voted for Seymour. He loudly told them to flip their votes. After that it seemed like Pendleton was on the road to victory. This scared a lot of delegates who had a bad taste in their mouth when it came to Pendleton because he had been George McClellan's Vice President a year prior and McClellan lost big against Lincoln.

This led to Winfield Scott Hancock taking the lead. After all, a war hero may be their only shot against Ulysses Grant. Yet many democratic career politicians believed that Hancock had no experience and stood for nothing. Plus Hancock himself didn't want to be nominated. Even though Pendleton and Hancock were frontrunners, both were unappealing. Many delegates hopped ship to alternatives. Thomas Hendricks, James English, Stephen Field and more. This caused continuous deadlocks for over 30 ballots.
Eventually many saw Seymour as the only hope. He had been slowly gaining, but many candidates threw their supporters to him once it seemed like they would become front runners themselves. By the 36th ballot, it seemed like there were still 100 to go. Yet Pendleton urged his supporters to vote for Seymour. Historians still debate over why. Perhaps he realized his win was impossible and he was ready to be done. As the Pendleton supporters flipped their votes many Hancock enthusiasts did the same seeing the end as near. Seymour himself reportedly shed a tear upon realizing he would be the nominee. He gathered himself and begrudgingly accepted after realizing he had no choice.

Then came the Vice Presidential balloting. The convention hall was tired and in an attempt to get things done fast they made it clear that the choice was either Pendleton or Hancock. Pendleton was furious, saying, "I refuse to be the Vice President to another landslide loss!" He urged his supporters to vote for Hancock. Hancock however, also desperately didn't want to be Vice President seeing it as a career death sentence. He urged his supporters to vote for Pendleton. After a chaotic ten minutes, by one vote, Pendleton won and Hancock breathed a sigh of relief."

From Every National Convention in American History
by Jacob Cohen, published 2012

"As for the 1865, uh campaign... Well, it wasn't much of a campaign. Seymour and Pendleton practically hid from any kind citizen asking questions and few democratic surrogates were interested in any active campaigning. Meanwhile, Grant and Hamlin's surrogates presented a vote for the Republican Party as a vote for the memory of Lincoln, Seward and Johnson. They waved the bloody rag and blamed the war on the Democrats. I mean... It wasn't a surprise who won that year."

-From The Civil War Show
Starring Special Guest Kieren Hutchinson, radio episode premiered June 22nd 1988

the better one.png

7C07F872-6E32-40DA-8198-C8D2E466AB1B.jpeg

Hope that wasn't a surprise to anyone. Tomorrow's chapter is gonna be about the real beginning of a very different reconstruction so get hyped. Feel free to comment predictions or critiques. Keep an eye out for chapter 4.

-

Attachments

• Map.png
    Map.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,952
  • 5F6FE557-61E6-4E9A-BA02-8272FB20E67E.jpeg
    5F6FE557-61E6-4E9A-BA02-8272FB20E67E.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Interesting chapter, I hope Grant doesn't have the issues that plagued his OTL Presidency. Reconstruction will be a sight to see, especially with the Democrats and Confederates being massively blamed for the Civil War and Triple Assassinations. Keep up the good work.

"The beginning of the special election process started around May of 1865. It's well known that congress had agreed to hold one just days after the Triple Calamity under the 1792 Succession Act, but the gears of bureaucracy didn't begin turning until mid-May when the State Department alerted the union of it's imminence. A few days after the state governments were warned, local news was informed and thus the people were as well. The first headache that came with the announcement of the special election was continued violence throughout the states still in rebellion. Many southern whites became quite infuriated at the notion that they would not be voting. Some of these men ended up joining local confederate garrisons (or early White Leagues), to take out their anger, which once again prolonged the war in the south. President Foster had initially hoped to declare the war's end in late May, yet the influx of new confederates post-election announcement caused the President to postpone his declaration until July."

-From Resentment in Dixie
by Peter Barnett, published 1927

"The general election was a foregone conclusion. It was clear to everyone that the Democratic Party, no matter how hard it tried, would lose. The only question was by how much. The truth is with every southern state removed from the election and the national mood firmly in republican hands even the border states weren't assured Democratic wins. This meant that the real election was going to be the Republican nomination process. Many candidates threw their hats into the ring. Schuyler Colfax the Speaker of the House was first. He said that should he be elected, congress would have free reign over reconstruction. That was appealing to many. Then there was Hannibal Hamlin, the former Vice President encouraged his friends to offer his name to the convention. Hamlin ran on a return to the first "true" republican administration under Lincoln. Then there was Salmon Chase, Lincoln's old Republican rival.

All three of these men were expected and somewhat boring. Sure if nominated they would win. Yet they weren't inspiring. Some urged President Foster to run for a proper election. He adamantly declined any offer. However, many moderate Republicans seeing the field full of "radicals" decided they would push for Foster anyway unless there was a better alternative. Some people believed they had found that better alternative.: Ulysses S. Grant.

For the better part of a year General Ulysses S. Grant had been constantly pestered over politics. Reporters would consistently try to find out if Grant was a Republican or Democrat. In June, just a week before the Republican National Convention (planned to be held in Springfield, Illinois to honor the late President Lincoln) Grant affirmed he was a Republican to the press. "I generally lean more towards that side of the boat. Yes."- Grant said in response to a reporter asking if he leaned Republican. Grant thought he was safe. He didn't say he was a Republican just that he leaned towards them. Either way, that was enough for most of the party to see Grant as the perfect candidate."

-From GRANT
by Howell Leanman, published 1977

Presidential Ballots1234Vice Presidential Ballots12
US. Grant198301315488H. Hamlin222378
L. Foster150150150152S. Colfax17822
S. Colfax11811711210R. Fenton150155
H. Hamlin960N/A00
S. Chase8882730N/A00

"These were the final results of the 1865 Republican National Convention in Springfield, Illinois. The first ballot set the tone almost immediately. Most of the delegates upon seeing the early Grant lead began to make deals with the people who voted for Grant. The funny thing is the delegates that voted for Grant didn't really know his political views, few knew the man at all. Thus 198 republicans got anointed as campaign managers for a man they had never really met. They were a mix of moderates and radicals so over the course of the convention, Grant was portrayed as a man who supported Land Distribution yet also supported the immediate readmission of all southern states. As voting on the second ballot got closer and closer, the radical Grant supporters promised the Hamlin men the Vice Presidency. Some moderate Grantite men were off put by this. After all, Hamlin was a radically inclined man from Maine. That said, Hamlin might also inspire the American people as he was the former Vice President under Lincoln, making him almost a return to normalcy. (An odd thought considering he was Vice President in the thick of the war.) Either way, with Hamlin encouraging his men to flip to Grant, the conclusion was foregone. After some radical flips on the third ballot it became very clear that Grant would be nominated. On the 4th the rest of the radicals hopped on board with Grant.

Interestingly enough, the actual man that had just been nominated as the Republican nominee had absolutely no clue. Grant had been informed that some delegates were going to put his name forward, but in Grant's mind there was no way that rich politicians would choose him over the President of the United States or the Speaker of the People's House. Yet on June 22nd, the same day as the convention, Grant was given a message via telegram at his father's house in Cincinnati. Jesse Root Grant read the message first and nearly had a heart attack. He sent his boy to the train station that night headed to Illinois.

Back in Springfield it was time to nominate the Vice President. The choices were Hamlin for the Grant men and moderate radicals, Colfax for the radical radicals and Ruben Fenton, a former democrat from New York who was nominated by the moderate faction. It didn't take long for Hamlin to be nominated fulfilling the Grant supporters' promise.

The next day Grant arrived in Springfield. He met his new Vice President and walked into a room full of cheers and banners. Grant would later write that "The Republican National convention felt more like a coronation to the Presidency than a nomination as the Republican Party's choice to the Presidency...

Presidential Ballot1234......353637Vice Presidential Ballot1
H. Seymour22015144151240G. Pendleton159
G. Pendleton5513311210354662WS. Hancock158
WS. Hancock2669991221037720N/A
Numerous Others21411510597162355N/A

Not nearly as many people focus on the Democratic National Convention during the special election. That makes sense considering the outcome of the general election, but the 1865 Democratic National Convention was very interesting. Of the fifteen candidates in contention for the nomination only three actually wanted to become the nominee. Of those three only one, George Pendleton had a shot to get the nomination. Everyone within the hall knew that the democrats would lose the special election and so we had the interesting circumstance of candidates telling delegates not to vote for them. Chief among them was Horatio Seymour. On the first ballot 22 people voted for Seymour. He loudly told them to flip their votes. After that it seemed like Pendleton was on the road to victory. This scared a lot of delegates who had a bad taste in their mouth when it came to Pendleton because he had been George McClellan's Vice President a year prior and McClellan lost big against Lincoln.

This led to Winfield Scott Hancock taking the lead. After all, a war hero may be their only shot against Ulysses Grant. Yet many democratic career politicians believed that Hancock had no experience and stood for nothing. Plus Hancock himself didn't want to be nominated. Even though Pendleton and Hancock were frontrunners, both were unappealing. Many delegates hopped ship to alternatives. Thomas Hendricks, James English, Stephen Field and more. This caused continuous deadlocks for over 30 ballots.
Eventually many saw Seymour as the only hope. He had been slowly gaining, but many candidates threw their supporters to him once it seemed like they would become front runners themselves. By the 36th ballot, it seemed like there were still 100 to go. Yet Pendleton urged his supporters to vote for Seymour. Historians still debate over why. Perhaps he realized his win was impossible and he was ready to be done. As the Pendleton supporters flipped their votes many Hancock enthusiasts did the same seeing the end as near. Seymour himself reportedly shed a tear upon realizing he would be the nominee. He gathered himself and begrudgingly accepted after realizing he had no choice.

Then came the Vice Presidential balloting. The convention hall was tired and in an attempt to get things done fast they made it clear that the choice was either Pendleton or Hancock. Pendleton was furious, saying, "I refuse to be the Vice President to another landslide loss!" He urged his supporters to vote for Hancock. Hancock however, also desperately didn't want to be Vice President seeing it as a career death sentence. He urged his supporters to vote for Pendleton. After a chaotic ten minutes, by one vote, Pendleton won and Hancock breathed a sigh of relief."

From Every National Convention in American History
by Jacob Cohen, published 2012

"As for the 1865, uh campaign... Well, it wasn't much of a campaign. Seymour and Pendleton practically hid from any kind citizen asking questions and few democratic surrogates were interested in any active campaigning. Meanwhile, Grant and Hamlin's surrogates presented a vote for the Republican Party as a vote for the memory of Lincoln, Seward and Johnson. They waved the bloody rag and blamed the war on the Democrats. I mean... It wasn't a surprise who won that year."

-From The Civil War Show
Starring Special Guest Kieren Hutchinson, radio episode premiered June 22nd 1988

View attachment 848140
View attachment 848141

Hope that wasn't a surprise to anyone. Tomorrow's chapter is gonna be about the real beginning of a very different reconstruction so get hyped. Feel free to comment predictions or critiques. Keep an eye out for chapter
Grant/Hamelin? Interesting.
Surprised its not Grant/Wade tbh...
I thought about it. But I feel like Wade was too controversial. The moderates had a nice block going on with Grant and Hamlin was just acceptable enough.

Interesting chapter, I hope Grant doesn't have the issues that plagued his OTL Presidency. Reconstruction will be a sight to see, especially with the Democrats and Confederates being massively blamed for the Civil War and Triple Assassinations. Keep up the good work.
With Grant in office and deals being made with Colfax during the nomination it’s not hard to imagine that congress may have its way with reconstruction.