Triple Calamity: What if the Three Most Important Men in the Executive Branch Died in One Night?

Ok, why these men specifically?
Cresswell and Cox seem to be from his original cabinet in OTL, yet everyone else seems to be an odd choice...
So the cabinet crafting was kinda difficult. It’s 1865 which automatically complicated some of Grant’s appointees. Different times different people so on. Because of this I looked around at the Johnson cabinet and Lincoln cabinet to see if I could borrow some people. For SoS and SoW I thought that it would make sense for Grant to try and have continuity. I mentioned that he and Hamlin had a campaign that was centered on the memory of Lincoln and Seward.

Foster had made Fredrick Seward SoS because he was the assistant SoS already, plus the optics looked good. Grant kept Seward because he was doing a good job and the optics looked good. Same with Stanton. (Schofeild is a natural choice as Stanton’s replacement.)

For the DoJ I picked Benjamin Wade. While yes that seems random I knew that the radicals were working very closely with the Grant Administration. They avidly campaigned for him in the convention and special election and felt they were owed an important cabinet position. The DoJ will become very important to reconstruction so it’s implied that Colfax suggested Wade for the job.

Farragut meanwhile is pretty much done with being a military man and Grant (wanting his administration to look like a rouges gallery of the men of the age) thought he would be perfect to take the SoN spot.

The rest I either took from Johnson or Grant as you mentioned. Both kinda chose the natural options for interior and postmaster.

All in all the Grant picks were meant to be flashy names that Grant knew were competent and that Grant knew people could get behind. (Also a little bit of the spoils system 1860s go brr)

An unintended consequence of Grant going for star power is that his first term won’t be tainted by corruption. Most of the men he currently has aren’t very scandalous. (This may change after 68)

Last edited:
I'm loving this timeline so far. Quick question: did Judah Benjamin still make it to Britain or was he one of the Confederate officials who were hanged?

I'm loving this timeline so far. Quick question: did Judah Benjamin still make it to Britain or was he one of the Confederate officials who were hanged?
A somewhat funny bi product of the Calamity is the extension of the war. I mentioned that unlike in our timeline Davis did gather a small army in Southern Georgia and kept fighting for a bit with his cabinet. This is why Breckinridge didn’t make it to Europe.

I think Benjamin was quite interested in self preservation and considering he was planning an escape around March. Benjamin does indeed escape to Britan in around the same fashion. That said he is a criminal and was indicted. (Just obviously never showed up to court.) itl, he knows if he returns he’s gonna be hung, so he is content to stay in the UK. Perhaps as British and US relations cool off post war he will be arrested by the British and sent back to face trial.

With Grant in office and deals being made with Colfax during the nomination it’s not hard to imagine that congress may have its way with reconstruction.

Congress *did* get its way over Reconstruction. Only change here is that they get it a couple of years sooner.

Two points.

1) If Foster calls Congress into Session - which he will need to, if only so the HoR can elect a Speaker to succeed him in the event of his own assassination - then we likely get the 14th Amendment sent to the states a year or so sooner than OTL, and presumably ratified that much earlier absent Andrew Johnsons encouragement to reject it. - or indeed earlier still. Fifteenth Amendment.? if the South is still too shaken by defeat to reject the 14A, Republicans are pretty sure of holding Congress even without Black enfranchisement. I these circs will they still bother with a Fifteenth?

2). Grant gets in in1 865 (virtually assured) then he is up for re-election in 1869 and serves from March 1866 to March 1874.

In this situation; then there is time for Section 2 to be put into force, and Southern Congressional districts to be redrawn in accordance with it. So the Republicans will be pretty sure of holding Congress even w/o Black suffrage. In these circs will they still bother about a Fifteenth Amendment?

Last edited:
My last suggestions for your TL @Mr.Q . You should go with White House extensions proposals and in Nashville you should have a replica of the Great Mosque of Djenne be built near the Parthenon.

Attachments

• 20230523_072752.jpg
    20230523_072752.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 1280px-WhiteHouseProposedAddition.jpg
    1280px-WhiteHouseProposedAddition.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
Why the Great Mosque? I don't believe the very Christian USA, which just got out of a major Civil War that many might see as holy ordained, would build such a thing.
I was thinking somewhere around the early 20th Century around the same time the Parthenon remodel was built. Also it's probably one of the most iconic structures of West Africa and African History in general which could combat the myth of 'No Civilization in Africa'. Plus it would be cool to Historical Reconstruction Area in Nashville with not only the Parthenon but we could see a remodel of Solomon's Temple as well.

Attachments

• -73OnFZ7G43dcpyTdRu-IQ_b.jpg
    -73OnFZ7G43dcpyTdRu-IQ_b.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 129
Really good timeline! I love your coverage of the nominating conventions and the craziness that can result, especially with the Democrats here.

Nice to see Hamlin as Vice President, this in itself will reduce the possibility of corruption later in the Grant administration as he will be a good ear for the politically inexperienced Grant to lean on. Yet you show his desire to support military men with Scofield and Farragut, showing his favoring those who he knows well.

I think something from Abyssinia would be more likely for the South to erect supporting African civilization, since they trace their roots back to King Solomon.

Ironically, Davis's telegram saves him from conviction on the assassination charge, not that it means anything with the others. Here, he doesn't say anything about Johnson since he was killed. Here, he says that someone should have been shot, but wasn't even a target of the conspirators to my knowledge. The defense could easily argue that if he had been in on it, then obviously he would have sent someone to assassinate Stanton. That may be why the jury didn't convict him on that one.

Congress *did* get its way over Reconstruction. Only change here is that they get it a couple of years sooner.

Two points.

1) If Foster calls Congress into Session - which he will need to, if only so the HoR can elect a Speaker to succeed him in the event of his own assassination - then we likely get the 14th Amendment sent to the states a year or so sooner than OTL, and presumably ratified that much earlier - or indeed earlier stillfiteenth Amendment.? if the South is still too shaken by defeat to reject irepublicans are pretty sure of holding Congress even without Black enfranchisement. I these circs will they still bother witha t, absent Andrew Johnsons encouragement to do so - perhaps sooner still

2). Grant gets in in1 865 (virtually assured) then he is up for re-election in 1869 and serves from March 1866 to March 1874.

In this situation; then there is time for Section 2 to be put into force, and Southern Congressional districts to be redrawn in accordance withit. So the Republicans will be pretty sure of holding Congress even w/o Black suffrage. In these circs witll they still bother about a Fifteenth Amendment?
You are right. That said Grant is up for re-election in 1868 still. Congress isn’t up ending the schedule, the special election timeline isn’t permanent so Grant only gets three years for his first term.

I think you make a good point with there being no need for a fifteenth amendment. Congress has plenty of time to redraw congressional districts in the south (because spoiler alert they aren’t admitting states again until 1869.) obviously the 14th amendment will go through and as you said a few years earlier than ITL(gonna be going over this next chapter) I think I may consider just adding a sentence or section to the ITL 14th amendment that ensures voting rights.

Really good timeline! I love your coverage of the nominating conventions and the craziness that can result, especially with the Democrats here.

Nice to see Hamlin as Vice President, this in itself will reduce the possibility of corruption later in the Grant administration as he will be a good ear for the politically inexperienced Grant to lean on. Yet you show his desire to support military men with Scofield and Farragut, showing his favoring those who he knows well.

I think something from Abyssinia would be more likely for the South to erect supporting African civilization, since they trace their roots back to King Solomon.

Ironically, Davis's telegram saves him from conviction on the assassination charge, not that it means anything with the others. Here, he doesn't say anything about Johnson since he was killed. Here, he says that someone should have been shot, but wasn't even a target of the conspirators to my knowledge. The defense could easily argue that if he had been in on it, then obviously he would have sent someone to assassinate Stanton. That may be why the jury didn't convict him on that one.
Thanks man! Yeah when I first read the Davis telegram I knew it had to be included in some form. After writing it in I knew that ironically it shows Davis was unaware. (As I mentioned though this doesn’t stop ITL conspiracy theorists) nor does it stop the other charges.

I was thinking somewhere around the early 20th Century around the same time the Parthenon remodel was built. Also it's probably one of the most iconic structures of West Africa and African History in general which could combat the myth of 'No Civilization in Africa'. Plus it would be cool to Historical Reconstruction Area in Nashville with not only the Parthenon but we could see a remodel of Solomon's Temple as well.
Just gonna reply really fast to the whole architecture thread. Yes I love the ideas! I’m leaning towards African inspired government buildings being built in the western state of Lincoln (when that gets made in later reconstruction) but in a small scale I’ll be sure to include this as a tidbit.

As a side note I’ve been planning a monument to the calamity in DC. As the DC monument craze is about to begin anyways. By the end of the TL Washington will look fundamentally different

Also I’ll throw in this update now.
-Chapter 5: The Dictation of Dixie, (Reconstruction under the first term of Grant)

-Chapter 6: Grant, Grant, Grant
(Everything else that needs to be mentioned about the Grant administration) this will be a mini chapter. I’m doing two chapters that day

-Chapter 6: The Presidential Election of 1868

Last edited:
Just gonna reply really fast to the whole architecture thread. Yes I love the ideas! I’m leaning towards African inspired government buildings being built in the western state of Lincoln (when that gets made in later reconstruction) but in a small scale I’ll be sure to include this as a tidbit.

As a side note I’ve been planning a monument to the calamity in DC. As the DC monument craze is about to begin anyways. By the end of the TL Washington will look fundamentally different
I appreciate you considering my ideas! I can't wait to see more of this TL will go! How far into the future do think you'll take TL?
Also are you planning on DC taking it's half of Virginia back?

Attachments

• image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
You are right. That said Grant is up for re-election in 1868 still. Congress isn’t up ending the schedule, the special election timeline isn’t permanent so Grant only gets three years for his first term.

I think you make a good point with there being no need for a fifteenth amendment. Congress has plenty of time to redraw congressional districts in the south (because spoiler alert they aren’t admitting states again until 1869.) obviously the 14th amendment will go through and as you said a few years earlier than ITL(gonna be going over this next chapter) I think I may consider just adding a sentence or section to the ITL 14th amendment that ensures voting rights.

I'm not sure what you mean about the "special election timetable!".

The Constitution made (and still makes) *no* provision for a POTUS and VP to be elected for any term other than four years. If Grant takes office in March 1866, then he serves until March 1870 so rhe nest elction has to be in 1869. Short of yet another Amendment there is no way for Congress to change this save by cancelling the 1865 election and letting the Pres Pro Tem to serve the whole of the unexpired term. .

Incidentally they could do this and still have Grant. The Constitution does *not* require the Pres Pro Tem of the Senate to be himself a Senator. In practice he always has been, but that is purely by custom, not mandatory. So the Senate could elect Grant to this position and let him serve as Acting-POTUS until March 1869.

Alternatively they might compromise by postponing the election to 1866, so that subsequent Presidential and Congressional elections still coincide.

Re Black suffrage, I feel you may not fully appreciate what a hot potato issue this was even in the North. As late as 1867/8 several Northern States rejected it, and in their 1868 platform the Republicans specified that it nwas only being imposed on Rebel States , while loyal states were entitled to decide for themselves. Congress was very careful not to pass the 15th Amendment until 1869, ie during the lame duck session *after** Grant had been safely elected. When the 14th Amendment was being drafted, several Radicals *wanted* a suffrage clause but it was rejected as too controversial. Presumable it would be equally so TTL - a coulee of extra murders won't mmake *that* big a difference.

I appreciate you considering my ideas! I can't wait to see more of this TL will go! How far into the future do think you'll take TL?
Depends on how I’m feeling. I know you’ll 100 percent see up to 1920. It depends on how far I feel we can go past then.

I'm not sure what you mean about the "special election timetable!".

The Constitution made (and still makes) *no* provision for a POTUS and VP to be elected for any term other than four years. If Grant takes office in March 1866, then he serves until March 1870 so rhe nest elction has to be in 1869. Short of yet another Amendment there is no way for Congress to change this save by cancelling the 1865 election and letting the Pres Pro Tem to serve the whole of the unexpired term. .

Incidentally they could do this and still have Grant. The Constitution does *not* require the Pres Pro Tem of the Senate to be himself a Senator. In practice he always has been, but that is purely by custom, not mandatory. So the Senate could elect Grant to this position and let him serve as Acting-POTUS until March 1869.

Alternatively they might compromise by postponing the election to 1866, so that subsequent Presidential and Congressional elections still coincide.

Re Black suffrage, I feel you may not fully appreciate what a hot potato issue this was even in the North. As late as 1867/8 several Northern States rejected it, and in their 1868 platform the Republicans specified that it nwas only being imposed on Rebel States , while loyal states were entitled to decide for themselves. Congress was very careful not to pass the 15th Amendment until 1869, ie during the lame duck session *after** Grant had been safely elected. When the 14th Amendment was being drafted, several Radicals *wanted* a suffrage clause but it was rejected as too controversial. Presumable it would be equally so TTL - a coulee of extra murders won't mmake *that* big a difference.
Sure, yet it’s not just a couple of murders. These murders lead to a slightly longer war. One that takes more lives as Jeff Davis feels a fight can keep going. In turn anger against the south is far more rabid.

Now that doesn’t mean people have forgotten racism but it does mean the republicans have leeway at least for Grants term. Plus as I mentioned the republicans have even more seats in congress.

As for the 4 year discrepancy I mentioned that the 14th amendment in this timeline focuses on presidential succession. I’ve added an extra sentence to section three that says any special election doesn’t effect the normal timetable.

Last edited:
That's plausible. The amendment to the Constitution changing the date from March 4th to January 20th did, in a way, change the four years saying, although it really just changed it in one instance to 3 years and 10 and a half months. :) hello it would have been a lot of fun to see elections a year off from the Congressional ones, you do run into the danger that everyone will just be too busy campaigning for a couple of years between trying to run for their own seats and then also running for president soon thereafter. So I can see why they would decide to modify the special election situation.

Ask for black suffrage, I would say it's more likely if it is limited. Lincoln did support it for black soldiers in a speech right before his assassination, so I definitely can see it for them and then expanding it with a limited scope.