One problem with using the San Juan is that it does a wierd turn north near the end, so the shortest route going that way, actually would pass through Costa Rica at the oceanic end
I believe it's been stated the Costa Rican route is canon. No idea about the alt Cañas-Jerez treaty, though.

Let Vegas prosper, its a gem in its own right and they can be a pioneer in water conservation while still growing economic and population simultaneously IN A DROUGHT.

So even if you don't have the party city aspect then maybe it could be a bunch of super independent non-polygamous Mormons or, dare I say, libertarians?*

*championing water rights and conservation for the American Southwest lol
That’s… definitely a different take, haha
Of course. I guess it’s somewhat inevitable, an incredibly weak political culture combined with a mass demobbing of a society on war footing after a huge military defeat is bound to produce "radical" outcomes.
The collapse of nobility basically overnight on 11/11 is somewhat comparable I guess to the collapse of the chattel slave society in terms of how foundational the aspect of the defeated party’s culture that is eliminated is
I was thinking about what Ocean Cruises would look like iTTL (much more likely to include Havana, less like to include Miami, etc.) when I realized that there is a stop in a place that may *literally* have no name iOTL. While pretty much *all* of the proposals connect the Pacific Ocean to Lake Nicaragua via Brito (the distance is pretty short), the path on the Atlantic side has a *number* of proposals. I'm not sure if the Author stated that the canal is following the San Juan River (and thus functionally the Nicaragua/Costa Rica border) or if its atlantic end is farther north (I think the farthest north proposal was at Bluefields). One problem with using the San Juan is that it does a wierd turn north near the end, so the shortest route going that way, actually would pass through Costa Rica at the oceanic end. (Note, the Cañas–Jerez Treaty governing the use of the river may be *very* different iTTL, and the US may not be viewed as a Neutral Party to sort out whether the treaty was valid).

If it is the San Juan River, that Grey Town is probably going to be a lot bigger and a lot more well known. (Which, since it is a key town in William Walker's Filibusters *and* William Walker is probably an even well known villain iTTL might lead to some interesting history)
Yeah, Nicaragua would definitely be a stop on many cruises, perhaps ones that go through the Canal to the Pacific port cities in Mexico or even the US? The tourism industry in Nic would be way more massive, that’s for sure
I believe it's been stated the Costa Rican route is canon. No idea about the alt Cañas-Jerez treaty, though.
correct. That’s part of why CR is regarded as being in the German-Dutch sphere of influence, since that accounts for their chunk of the Canal consortium

American troops raising the flag over the ruins of the Georgia State House in Atlanta, late 1916.

1679671705612.png

Attachments

• 1679671579928.png
    1679671579928.png
    438.8 KB · Views: 107
American troops raising the flag over the ruins of the Georgia State House in Atlanta, late 1916.

View attachment 820517
(The US got Baja in the treaty of Mexico and immediately split it into 15 territories and admitted them as states prior to the end of the war. :) )

Though sort of a wierd point. iOTL, the United States had a 35 star flag when it marched into Richmond after the Surrender of the Confederacy in 1865. (the flag was changed to on July 4, 1863 to 35 stars after the admission of West Virginia and changed on July 4, 1865 to 36 stars after the admission of Nevada)

iTTL, the United States will have a 35 star flag when it marches into Richmond after the Surrender of the Confederacy. (Even if things completely settle down west of the Mississippi prior to the surrender, the US will not admit "Arizona", "Oklahoma", "Baja", "Texas" or "Tierra del Fuego" into the union before the final surrender)

If the Author did this on purpose that is a *lot* of planning...

Last edited:

View attachment 820517
Love it!
(The US got Baja in the treaty of Mexico and immediately split it into 15 territories and admitted them as states prior to the end of the war. :) )

Though sort of a wierd point. iOTL, the United States had a 35 star flag when it marched into Richmond after the Surrender of the Confederacy in 1865. (the flag was changed to on July 4, 1863 to 35 stars after the admission of West Virginia and changed on July 4, 1865 to 36 stars after the admission of Nevada)

iTTL, the United States will have a 35 star flag when it marches into Richmond after the Surrender of the Confederacy. (Even if things completely settle down west of the Mississippi prior to the surrender, the US will not admit "Arizona", "Oklahoma", "Baja", "Texas" or "Tierra del Fuego" into the union before the final surrender)

If the Author did this on purpose that is a *lot* of planning...
I certainly did not haha that is a happy accident

Women's suffrage is on deck in the US. Two major effects iTTL.
1) While Utah won't be a state at this point, I think the LDS would be in even more of a sweet spot in terms of giving women the right to vote, having more women that the nonmember miners/railroad men/etc *and* probably trusting their women more than the "FLDS"
2) Opposition to the 19th amendment was *very* much concentrated in the states that are part of the CSA iTTL, between a Southern Democrat filibuster in the Senate and the fact that 8 of the 12 states that didn't ratify it in time (and in fact the last 8 states period) are the iTTL Coastal CSA States from Louisiana east.

Because of those, even though the GAW will be over two years earlier than OTL WWI, I expect it will be a big political push iTTL post war. (In fact, I'd expect that if it wasn't on the Democratic Platform in 1912, it *will* be in 1916.

What will be interesting is Women's suffrage in the Southern Cone. Argentina is definitely going to get there earlier than OTL (1947, during Juan Peron's government). But will Chile? (1949 iOTL).

For the CSA, the more that Long becomes a Peron analog...

1) While Utah won't be a state at this point, I think the LDS would be in even more of a sweet spot in terms of giving women the right to vote, having more women that the nonmember miners/railroad men/etc *and* probably trusting their women more than the "FLDS"
2) Opposition to the 19th amendment was *very* much concentrated in the states that are part of the CSA iTTL, between a Southern Democrat filibuster in the Senate and the fact that 8 of the 12 states that didn't ratify it in time (and in fact the last 8 states period) are the iTTL Coastal CSA States from Louisiana east.

Because of those, even though the GAW will be over two years earlier than OTL WWI, I expect it will be a big political push iTTL post war. (In fact, I'd expect that if it wasn't on the Democratic Platform in 1912, it *will* be in 1916.

What will be interesting is Women's suffrage in the Southern Cone. Argentina is definitely going to get there earlier than OTL (1947, during Juan Peron's government). But will Chile? (1949 iOTL).

Oh, I suspect Huey is going to make a big push in this direction. Expanding the franchise will be a big part of maintaining a demographic dominance over the recently freed Black population for one thing (it's a good way to tie women voters to the dominant white suprememcy philosophy due the women's right's movement doesn't get any interesting ideas of making common cause with other oppressed groups) and it would also expand Long's voting base to a group who would, theoretically, be loyal to him for granting them voting rights in the first place.

In fact, I'd expect that if it wasn't on the Democratic Platform in 1912, it *will* be in 1916
I'd be shocked if the Democrats *didn't* have it on their platform, since the West was where the strongest suffragette movements were and the Democrats dominate the West ITTL.

Women's suffrage will happen post-1916 in the USA. As what usually happens in the Hughes administration, the Liberals will take point on it and get the credit for putting the ball in the end zone while the Democrats haplessly stand there and say "hey, wait for us!" See: the railroad nationalization as a blueprint.

My plan as of right now is for it to get rolling State by state at a higher clip and then getting an amendment done in the early 1920s. Universal women’s suffrage is nearly here in the US

New York was the big domino tipping, but a few other states east of the Mississippi need to enact it. I doubt New England will do it any time soon, so I'd guess the Great Lakes states (Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan etc.) will be the next ones to pass it.

New York was the big domino tipping, but a few other states east of the Mississippi need to enact it. I doubt New England will do it any time soon, so I'd guess the Great Lakes states (Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan etc.) will be the next ones to pass it.
Indeed. Wisconsin seems the obvious immediate choice

The question is what factors would make it later than OTL, simply the fact that the country is more focused on drawdown than OTL WWI?

(I wonder what the ratio is between the GAW and OTL WWI in US Soldiers who would be viewed as having been in combat. 15-1, 20-1?)

The question is what factors would make it later than OTL, simply the fact that the country is more focused on drawdown than OTL WWI?

(I wonder what the ratio is between the GAW and OTL WWI in US Soldiers who would be viewed as having been in combat. 15-1, 20-1?)
That's my thinking. Various states do it piecemeal in succession, which also means that initially the energy for the big federal suffragette movement of OTL's 1914-17 isn't quite there as much (more attention on the war, etc).

Prologue
Prologue

Cinco de Mayo is an extremely long timeline - 1,750 threadmarks, eight posts shy of breaching the 500 page thread limit, and god knows how many tens of thousands of words. If you're joining the adventure for the first time, what follows in the Prologue can serve as covering the events of the past fifty-three years, from the May 5th that gives our story its name to the May 5th that closes the original timeline out. If you've been along for the ride, regard this as a recap - I sure know it'll be good to refresh my own memory on what has happened, so far.

Prologue - A Monday in May

Few would have thought that the engagement between the invading French forces of Napoleon III and the Mexican armies associated with the anticlericalist revolutionary Bentio Juarez at Puebla on May 5th, 1862 would have much impact up to present day, but indeed it did - the French quickly dispatched the Mexican battalions and rapidly advanced on Mexico City, capturing it and scattering the Liberals to every far corner of Mexico. This was the impetus needed for the junta of conservative Mexican rebels fighting against Juarez to invite Maximilian von Habsburg, an Austrian archduke and younger brother of Emperor Franz Josef I, to take a new crown as the head of the Second Mexican Empire under the name Maximilian I of Mexico.

The events in Mexico before long would have a major impact beyond her borders. The successful campaigns by the Confederate States army against the United States in Maryland and Kentucky led directly to France, now with a strong foothold south of the Rio Bravo, to declare in tandem with Mexico its recognition of the Confederacy late in 1862, forcing the hand of the United Kingdom and leading to the Treaty of Havana in mid-1863, in which the United States begrudgingly recognized the Confederate independence and allowed for the secession of Kentucky and the Indian Territory into Confederate hands in return for unfettered access to the Mississippi River and Chesapeake Bay watersheds, though it was not lost on anyone signing the treaty that it curiously contained an expiration date of fifty years hence - though at the time, everyone present presumed that diplomats would in time sort out the matter amongst themselves. French forces, meanwhile, were steeled from their experience in Mexico and returned back to Europe within a few years after the death of Juarez in battle and Maximilian's increasing comfort on the throne. When Prussia successfully went to war with Denmark and then Austria to add German-speaking territories to her domains, France was thus confident in her ability to affect the balance of power; when war came in 1867 over the question of France's purchase of Luxembourg, opposed vehemently by Berlin, the French were badly disappointed by the tactical and technological superiority of the enemy, who drove Napoleon III's forces out of Luxembourg, captured Thionville and Metz and threatened to march on Verdun before a peace treaty transferring Luxembourg into Prussian hands along with the protectorate of Cambodia was hashed out, followed shortly thereafter by the declaration of the German Empire in January of 1868, inaugurating a new and unfamiliar Europe in the wake of the Unification Wars that built modern Germany and Italy.

Maximilian secured his hold over Mexico in part by aligning himself closely with Confederate interests, even allowing to great controversy an incursion into the north by former Confederate general-cum-mercenary Nathan Bedford Forrest, who destroyed the last remnants of the juarista rebellion but largely eroded Mexican sympathies for Richmond in doing so, further worsening matters when he was elected President of the CSA in an orgy of paramilitary violence just a year later thanks to this renown. With a pacified country, Maximilian set about with a developmentalist program known as the Plan Nacional which built schools, railroads and industries while encouraging mass European immigration and the assembly of a grand Mexican Navy; though almost all of the programs within this plan fell well short of Maximilian's initially lofty expectations, it nonetheless proved a declaration of his regime's ambitions to modernize and centralize the Mexican state, spearheaded curiously enough by the once-rebel, still-federalist Santiago Vidaurri, who steered Mexican foreign policy in a pro-Confederate position over most of the 1870s until his death in 1878.

This choice of cozying up with the Confederates was not necessarily intuitive; the Americans bounced back from the severe postwar economic depression with a debt-fueled railroad boom during the Presidency of Horatio Seymour, who himself pursued a program of reconciliation with Richmond and returned to the ambitious territorial expansionism of prewar Democrats in leasing the Danish West Indies and shortly before his Presidency ended securing the purchase of Alaska from Russia. Nonetheless, a railroad bubble that was still felt by too few people and constant fighting with Congress saw Seymour ejected for Abraham Lincoln's former Treasury Secretary, Salmon P. Chase, who in his single term in office pursued one of the most aggressive domestic agendas in history, managing to formally abolish slavery across the United States with the 13th Amendment and restore the National Bank while financing one of the largest new navies in world history, but also presiding over a horrific economic crisis in the Panic of 1870 which reverberated across the Atlantic and helped trigger in Europe and North America what is now known as the Great Depression.

This was particularly bad news for the debt-addled Confederacy, which just as the Panic occurred was starting to look towards Cuba for potential territorial expansion, and in 1872 chose to invade to "support" a pseudo-regime of West Cuban planters that wanted to maintain slavery. These planters were only in revolt in the first place due to a law abolishing slavery across the Spanish Empire passed that year by the Cortes formed out of Spain's Gloriosa, a revolution throwing out the Bourbons in 1868 and inviting in the moderate, German and fairly apolitical Leopold von Hohenzollern as a new King two years later, once France could no longer credibly protest. This was a massive mistake on the part of the Confederacy - President Forrest elected to lead the expedition himself, on which he would die of yellow fever along with hundreds of his men, and the Confederate forces were cut off from resupply with the sinking of nearly their entire navy by the Spanish, ending any and all kind of foreign adventurism by the CSA for close to three decades and focusing Richmond's energies inwards instead. The episode, along with crushing the ultra-reactionary Carlist insurgency in the Basque Country and eventually defeating the Cuban rebels and incorporating the Caribbean colonies as full provinces, secured Hohenzollern rule in Spain alongside the liberal but fairly corrupt system of caciquismo run by the long-serving Prime Minister, Francisco Serrano.

The 1870s thus reached their midpoint as a time of transition and consolidation - a new Spanish dynasty enthroned, the collapse of the Republican Party in the United States with the decisive defeats in the 1870 midterms and then the triumph of New York's young Democratic Governor, John Thompson Hoffman in the 1872 Presidential election, the Confederacy struggling to pull itself out of international humiliation and a deep economic depression, and then the most significant event of them all: the abdication of Napoleon III on the day of his son's 18th birthday and his death a year later, auguring the reign of Napoleon IV, the virile young symbol of France's great golden age of the late 19th century...

P

Few would have thought that the engagement between the invading French forces of Napoleon III and the Mexican armies associated with the anticlericalist revolutionary Bentio Juarez at Puebla on May 5th, 1862 would have much impact up to present day, but indeed it did - the French quickly dispatched the Mexican battalions and rapidly advanced on Mexico City, capturing it and scattering the Liberals to every far corner of Mexico. This was the impetus needed for the junta of conservative Mexican rebels fighting against Juarez to invite Maximilian von Habsburg, an Austrian archduke and younger brother of Emperor Franz Josef I, to take a new crown as the head of the Second Mexican Empire under the name Maximilian I of Mexico.

The events in Mexico before long would have a major impact beyond her borders. The successful campaigns by the Confederate States army against the United States in Maryland and Kentucky led directly to France, now with a strong foothold south of the Rio Bravo, to declare in tandem with Mexico its recognition of the Confederacy late in 1862, forcing the hand of the United Kingdom and leading to the Treaty of Havana in mid-1863, in which the United States begrudgingly recognized the Confederate independence and allowed for the secession of Kentucky and the Indian Territory into Confederate hands in return for unfettered access to the Mississippi River and Chesapeake Bay watersheds, though it was not lost on anyone signing the treaty that it curiously contained an expiration date of fifty years hence - though at the time, everyone present presumed that diplomats would in time sort out the matter amongst themselves. French forces, meanwhile, were steeled from their experience in Mexico and returned back to Europe within a few years after the death of Juarez in battle and Maximilian's increasing comfort on the throne. When Prussia successfully went to war with Denmark and then Austria to add German-speaking territories to her domains, France was thus confident in her ability to affect the balance of power; when war came in 1867 over the question of France's purchase of Luxembourg, opposed vehemently by Berlin, the French were badly disappointed by the tactical and technological superiority of the enemy, who drove Napoleon III's forces out of Luxembourg, captured Thionville and Metz and threatened to march on Verdun before a peace treaty transferring Luxembourg into Prussian hands along with the protectorate of Cambodia was hashed out, followed shortly thereafter by the declaration of the German Empire in January of 1868, inaugurating a new and unfamiliar Europe in the wake of the Unification Wars that built modern Germany and Italy.

Maximilian secured his hold over Mexico in part by aligning himself closely with Confederate interests, even allowing to great controversy an incursion into the north by former Confederate general-cum-mercenary Nathan Bedford Forrest, who destroyed the last remnants of the juarista rebellion but largely eroded Mexican sympathies for Richmond in doing so, further worsening matters when he was elected President of the CSA in an orgy of paramilitary violence just a year later thanks to this renown. With a pacified country, Maximilian set about with a developmentalist program known as the Plan Nacional which built schools, railroads and industries while encouraging mass European immigration and the assembly of a grand Mexican Navy; though almost all of the programs within this plan fell well short of Maximilian's initially lofty expectations, it nonetheless proved a declaration of his regime's ambitions to modernize and centralize the Mexican state, spearheaded curiously enough by the once-rebel, still-federalist Santiago Vidaurri, who steered Mexican foreign policy in a pro-Confederate position over most of the 1870s until his death in 1878.

This choice of cozying up with the Confederates was not necessarily intuitive; the Americans bounced back from the severe postwar economic depression with a debt-fueled railroad boom during the Presidency of Horatio Seymour, who himself pursued a program of reconciliation with Richmond and returned to the ambitious territorial expansionism of prewar Democrats in leasing the Danish West Indies and shortly before his Presidency ended securing the purchase of Alaska from Russia. Nonetheless, a railroad bubble that was still felt by too few people and constant fighting with Congress saw Seymour ejected for Abraham Lincoln's former Treasury Secretary, Salmon P. Chase, who in his single term in office pursued one of the most aggressive domestic agendas in history, managing to formally abolish slavery across the United States with the 13th Amendment and restore the National Bank while financing one of the largest new navies in world history, but also presiding over a horrific economic crisis in the Panic of 1870 which reverberated across the Atlantic and helped trigger in Europe and North America what is now known as the Great Depression.

This was particularly bad news for the debt-addled Confederacy, which just as the Panic occurred was starting to look towards Cuba for potential territorial expansion, and in 1872 chose to invade to "support" a pseudo-regime of West Cuban planters that wanted to maintain slavery. These planters were only in revolt in the first place due to a law abolishing slavery across the Spanish Empire passed that year by the Cortes formed out of Spain's Gloriosa, a revolution throwing out the Bourbons in 1868 and inviting in the moderate, German and fairly apolitical Leopold von Hohenzollern as a new King two years later, once France could no longer credibly protest. This was a massive mistake on the part of the Confederacy - President Forrest elected to lead the expedition himself, on which he would die of yellow fever along with hundreds of his men, and the Confederate forces were cut off from resupply with the sinking of nearly their entire navy by the Spanish, ending any and all kind of foreign adventurism by the CSA for close to three decades and focusing Richmond's energies inwards instead. The episode, along with crushing the ultra-reactionary Carlist insurgency in the Basque Country and eventually defeating the Cuban rebels and incorporating the Caribbean colonies as full provinces, secured Hohenzollern rule in Spain alongside the liberal but fairly corrupt system of caciquismo run by the long-serving Prime Minister, Francisco Serrano.

The 1870s thus reached their midpoint as a time of transition and consolidation - a new Spanish dynasty enthroned, the collapse of the Republican Party in the United States with the decisive defeats in the 1870 midterms and then the triumph of New York's young Democratic Governor, John Thompson Hoffman in the 1872 Presidential election, the Confederacy struggling to pull itself out of international humiliation and a deep economic depression, and then the most significant event of them all: the abdication of Napoleon III on the day of his son's 18th birthday and his death a year later, auguring the reign of Napoleon IV, the virile young symbol of France's great golden age of the late 19th century...
Shouldn't the failure of Second Reform act and begining of Inept Tories's administration and Pope fleeing to Malta also be here?

Last edited: