Of lost monkeys and broken vehicles

A thoroughly satisfying scene.

The "Tunisgrad" in TTL was smaller than in OTL, but the Axis are stretched even more thin.

I wonder when the recall order for at least some italian units will come. Sicily is now under threat of invasion and the Italians have a very active front in the Balkans, an Army at the Don and a lot of occupied land in the Balkans. Politically it is easier to recall the troops in the Caucasus Front since the main german effort is with Army Group South.

I take it as the first part of the 1st Infantry... It will have nice symbolic value.

The tide has turned.

Taking into account the previous updates and this comment

It seems that the Allies must have secured the coastal plain between the Amanus mountain and the sea. Indeed, a narrow front that close to the sea, invites all kind of visitors from 15'' shells down to QF 4''. So, it makes sense that the Allies after months of fighting, currently (October) have a broader front - they can properly deploy their armor. It is also worth mentioning that in Egypt there is the 10th Armoured as - what I guess - a theater reserve. So the situation allows the Allies to properly take advantage of their superiority. Give Slim and de Lattre an inch and they will take a mile. Allow them to fight in the cilician plains and what you get is a destroyed turkish field army with the remnants trying to hold the mountains passes of Taurus.
also the Kirikhan-Nuridagi valley permits one to outflank Gaziantep. Yes Kahramanmaras can threaten that flanking manuver, but if it works all of Turkey south of the Taurus becomes untanable (all the line from Gaziantep to Diyabakir). If you can bottle up Turkish forces at Kahramanmaras it is a massive sickle. So you migth actually see that rather than a drive to the Cilica/Adana plain.

Amended to note that Diyabakir could be held if you hold the high ground west of it.

Last edited:
@Lascaris really sorry to disturb you but I have noticed that one British battleship is uncounted for: HMS Royal Oak. Was the ship still sank "of script" in 1939 at Scapa Flow or what?

@Lascaris really sorry to disturb you but I have noticed that one British battleship is uncounted for: HMS Royal Oak. Was the ship still sank "of script" in 1939 at Scapa Flow or what?
Sunk on schedule in 1939, did not see any reason the attack would not be launched. Of course i could well fail but tend to follow the worse case scenarios for the Allies where luck is involved to keep things plausible...

Lascaris, out of curiosity, are you yourself Greek? I'm just curious since I've seen you around other Greek/Byzantine etc. timelines, and you are writing a Greek timeline yourself. (Btw sorry if I asked a sensitive question).

Lascaris, out of curiosity, are you yourself Greek? I'm just curious since I've seen you around other Greek/Byzantine etc. timelines, and you are writing a Greek timeline yourself. (Btw sorry if I asked a sensitive question).
Not a secret I'm Greek. Why back in the mists of time I was the sole resident Greek in the usenet's alternate history newsgroups. We've got a few more in the quarter century that passed. :)

Part 106
Off Guadalcanal, October 13th, 1942

The massive 14 inch guns of the battleships Kongo and Hiei opened up against Waldron field, named back in August after lieutenant commander John Waldron who had been killed in action leading Torpedo Squadron 8 in the battle of Midway. Over an hour and a half nearly a thousand sells would be fired at the airfield inflicting heavy damage on both runways and destroying more than half the aircraft of the allied "Cactus Air Force" operating out of it. Still the airfield was again operational within hours...

South-Eastern Anatolia, October 16th, 1942.

For the past several months the front in Syria appeared to be stable, with the Turkish army securely holding the thin coastal strip north of Antioch and Alexandretta into Cilicia and the Nur mountains, the ancient Amanus forming a difficult obstacle for any army to break. The allies could had threatened this position only at heavy cost or by launching large scale naval landings into Cilicia which would entail their own challenges. For a time it looked as if Slim and De Lattre were going to do just that with Greek, British and French warships launching a series of attacks on the Cilician coast. Instead they had taken advantage of the Amanus to attack east of it with De Lattre's Armee d' Orient, spearheaded by the newly formed 3rd Division Blindee driving north from Kirikhan towards Nurdagi, Pazarzik and Maras while the 31st Indian and the 10thBritish Armoured Divisions attacked north of Nizip and across the Euphrates. It had taken 10 days of vicious fighting for the allies to break the Turkish and German defensive lines but they had eventually broken and now the two allied prongs threatened to meet to the north of Antep encircling a sizeable part of the Turkish 2nd army in the process. The Turkish high command had hastily ordered the 2nd army to retreat to avoid encirclement. But this was easier said than done with one side motorized and the other marching mostly on foot...

Leninakan, Armenia, October 22nd, 1942

The second battle on Leninakan was over. In two weeks of fighting the Turkish 3rd army had failed to make any headway, despite persistent attempts and over 20,000 casualties. With casualties mounting and the situation in southern Anatolia deteriorating by the day, Fahrettin and Cakmak had both agreed that the offensive had to stop, there was little point losing men and material to no gain. The German high command wasn't as happy about the decision, the German offensive in the east had effectively stalled in vicious urban fighting in Stalingrad but had no way to press Cakmak to alter his decision, attempts by Von Papen to go over the marshal's head and get Peker to order him to continue the offensive had gained little, since the prime minister knew better than start a conflict with Cakmak over such an issue. On the Soviet side Triandafilov had every reason to be content for now. While he could not counterattack on his own he had stopped the Turkish offensive in the Caucasus cold and at far lower cost, his army had lost about a quarter as many men as the attackers although the figures when it came to tanks and other material were rather more even.

Waldron field, Guadalcanal, October 23rd, 1942

Two large ground assaults had already been launched by the Japanese back in August and September the second evolving some 6,000 men. Both had failed to dislodge the US marines from it. Now the Japanese attacked for the third time and on a much larger scale, over the past few weeks the Imperial Japanese Navy's so called "Tokyo Express" had brought 15,000 reinforcements. But the Japanese had severely underestimated the number of allied defenders, instead of an estimated 10,000 the actual number was closer to 23,000. Three days of fighting would leave the Japanese severely defeated.

Santa Cruz islands, October 27th, 1942

Failure of the Japanese ground assault on Guadalcanal had not stopped the Japanese navy from trying to will the campaign on its own. IJN and USN carrier forces had clashed in a two day engagement. The Japanese had won the battle sinking USS Ranger and heavily damaging USS Enterprise at which point admiral Kincaid the US commander had ordered his force to retreat. But that had come at a heavy cost to the Japanese as well with the carrier Zuikaku heavily damaged and severe aircrew losses that they could ill afford. With both sides carrier aviation effectively neutralised for the time being further operations around Guadalcanal would have to rely on battleships and cruisers.

Chesapeake bay, October 29th, 1942

Jean Bart sent a salvo of nine 406mm guns against the target before steaming towards the next target. It had taken American shipyard workers over four months to finish up the refit of the ship. The three 406mm turrets making up the main armament had been left intact as had the sixteen 130mm guns of the secondary armament, thoughts to replace them with American 5/38s had been quickly dismissed and only the anti aircraft armament had been upgraded with the adition of 56 Bofors 40mm and 48 Oerlikon 20mm guns. American radars had replaced the single French experimental piece installed right before the occupation of Vichy France at Toulon. The displacement of the ship had inevitably increased, the design had been already a very tight fit for a ship capable of reaching 30 knots supposedly on treaty tonnage, just as inevitably top speed had dropped to 29.5 knots. As soon as trials were complete Jean Bart would be heading back to European waters.

Last edited:
I saw a 'were' that was typed 'wερε' in this tl once lol.
Seeing the alt offensives succeed and fail is very fun, and it shows how different ittl is to otl in terms of offensives.

@Lascaris Even if Greece doesn't get Constantinople, can't the Greeks still block Russian trade through the Aegean?
In OTL the Soviets could simply go through Turkish waters but with the Greeks holding Ionia (or any part of Anatolia's Aegean coast really) that shouldn't be feasible ITTL.

Nice to see a proper armored division at the Armee D' Orient. How is the recruitment of Maronites, Alawites and Kurds going?
With all of the French empire now part of Free France, the importance of Syria as a recruiting ground is of course quite diminished for France compared to 1940-41. These can be translated to the French being somewhat more picky in who the are recruiting and who not from Syria. Which is likely not good news for the recruitment of Syrian Sunnis, since from the point of view of the French they are suspect both for ties with Turkey, not without reason given Turkish backing of the great Syrian revolt and the influence of the continuing caliphate on them (however much diminished) and possible loyalties towards king Abdullah, who had supporters in Damascus even as mere emir of Transjordan. On the reverse this means most recruitment is from Maronites and Alewis which is pretty much likely to have unintended effects at independence...
That's a wonderful rebuilt!!!
Richelieu and Jean Bart TTL were somewhat slower 16in gun battleships as a result of Italy going for 16in gunned ships, this in turn a consequence of Salamis being one and Mussolini not accepting anything smaller as a result.

I forgot to ask about Burma in this timeline is there any change ?
Montgomery is in command with Alexander over him. He got a somewhat smaller force for a time as the 5th Infantry division was not tied down in Madagascar which is securely Free French since 1940. Also since Odre Wingate is in Syria commanding the Jewish brigade formed in 1941 you are not getting Chindits. Whether that's a good or a bad thing for the allies, well...

@Lascaris Even if Greece doesn't get Constantinople, can't the Greeks still block Russian trade through the Aegean?
In OTL the Soviets could simply go through Turkish waters but with the Greeks holding Ionia (or any part of Anatolia's Aegean coast really) that shouldn't be feasible ITTL.
It depends what you mean by it. Militarily in case of a war? That's a matter of the Soviet Black Sea fleet and naval aviation getting into the Aegean and securing control of the archipelago. Assuming a Cold War and something similar to NATO the prime task of the post-war Greek navy would be likely challenging that and securing the Western hold in the eastern Mediterranean. In peacetime? The Aegean has international waters and nations also have the right of innocent passage through territorial waters.

Part 107
Pazarcik, Turkey, October 29th, 1942

The attempt of the Turkish 53rd Infantry Division to break out of encirclement ended in ruin as the 1er Regiment de tirailleurs Senegalais held its positions. Tens of thousands of Turkish and German soldiers, perhaps more had been encircled when the French and British armies had linked up with each other to the north of Antep. The pocket had been shrinking since then but Turkish and German attempts to breakout had not ceased so far. Further east Turkish troops had escaped encirclement but were in full retreat towards Adiyaman and the Karacadag mountains to the west of Diyarbakir while being harassed by Kurdish guerrillas.

Kokkina, Cyprus, October 31st, 1942

TDK submarine Cerbe, surfaced in the middle of the night. It's boats start unloading MAH agents, Brandenburgers, gold and arms to the island. The Turkish army had been suffering from Lawrence shenanigans for two wars. But this had been a game two could play. If Churchill wanted the SOE to set Europe and Turkey ablaze it was only fair that Turks returned the favour in the British and French colonies.

Damascus, November 3rd, 1942

Shukri al-Quwatli, was incredulous. "So now that there is little chance of the Turkish army taking Syria, you remembered the Syrian nationalists and you want us to take on the French? I wasn't idiotic enough to do so last year, unlike I note that idiot king Ghazi, in Iraq. Why should we do it now?"

The German? Turkish? both? agent that had managed to meet him gave a shrug that might had made a Frenchman proud. "Are you happy with your options here? The French have ensured the Alewis and the Lebanese stay aloof of Syria and they are arming both unlike Syrians proper. The Jews have gotten their own army courtesy of the British. The Kurds are being propped by both the French and the British. And king Abdullah has gotten the throne in Baghdad and would love to get the throne in Damascus as well. Which you don't want."

"I'm an Arab patriot who wants the Arab lands united. You understand that the way you present things I should just back Abdullah. Even if he is a British puppet. Now get out of here before the Surete comes after you... and thus after me as well.

Malaga, November 5th, 1942

Neither the Axis nor the Allies had been in position to provide any notable quantities of arms to their own sides so far. But the Germans and Italians had short of solved that problem for the British the previous month, 150,000 men had been lost with the fall of Tunis and the Allies had captured large quantities of German and Italian arms that were useless for their own forces. But the same arms could be readily be used by the Spanish who were already using large quantities of German and Italian arms since the 1st civil war. Some enterprising fellow that would remain obscure had noticed the opportunity and war material captured in North Africa had start being to the provisional government. It had start to have an effect, the army of the Provisional government was up to 328,000 men at the start of November with the Falangists fielding only 249,000 men. There was a saying about god and big battalions...

Washington DC, November 7th, 1942

"That's intolerable!"

George Marshall barely contained a sigh. "What is intolerable Mr Mossadegh?"

"43,000 tons of war supplies have been moved to the Soviet Union last month through Iran and the amount is increasing with every passing month, I'm told your engineers hope to expand this to over 100,000 tons a month over the next 6 months. Our oil is fuelling allied armies, our soldiers are dying for the Allied cause ans our territory has been invaded. And yet our army has received not a single modern gun, not a singe tank, not a single aircraft. Only German and Turkish cast-offs captured in Iraq and Syria and this at the initiative of general Slim!"

Mossadegh gave a smile before continuing. "Of course there is no reason for the captured Turkish and German weaponry to go to waste. I understand our Soviet allies are already using considerable quantities of it and have thus the necessary logistics to use it, unlike my poor country. How difficult it would be to ship it to the Soviet Union while equivelant amounts of American and British weaponry is given to Iran? For a start?"

Marshall now turned aghast. If the Iranian was telling the truth, he had reason to complain. And worse yet Iran was too strategically important for the British to find the moment to play imperialist games. What would happen if they closed the Persian corridor till their requests were met?

"Rest assured I shall personally check into the matter your excellency and I will also inform president Roosevelt. But your army will not be left without tools."

Spercheios river, Greece, November 11th, 1942

1,500 guns start raining fire on the Italian and Bulgarian positions as 20 Greek, British, French, Yugoslav, Polish and American divisions, including 4 armoured ones supported by 622 aircraft sprang to the attack. The Italian and Bulgarian defenders on paper counted also 20 divisions, 12 of them Italian the rest Bulgarian with about 451,000 men facing 523,000 allied soldiers and in the air thanks to Italian series 5 fighters they could at least hold on their own despite allied air superiority. On the ground, on the ground the allies had over 1,200 tanks a third of them with general Patton's US 2nd corps facing just a handful of old Czech made machines...

Ooh things are getting very interesting, things like Iran getting lend lease and firmly in the allies camp, Spain getting axis weapons enabling the Provisional Government to fight better and a successful counterattack from Greece seeming to occur, it seems that things are getting better for the WAllies quicker than otl.

Turkey putting their agents in Cyprus is a bad move really, it'd just make the Greeks there push for enosis more and I don't think the British will tolerate Turkic actions anymore. If anything Britain would just give sovereignty to Greece but keep control of the ports (or give it to the US).

Turkey's Southeastern front is collapsing though I would argue that its Eastern Front against the Soviets is still more important. Still inching ever closer to Diyarbakir. Turkish intrigue in Cyprus! In my opinion, of dubious value but might be able to pay off later. While the Allies wait to start the invasion of Sicily or more progress in Turkey, a counteroffensive into Thessaly should prove interesting for both sides. The Italians and Bulgarians would be fairly worn down by now, I must imagine. Especially since the Epirus counteroffensive split the Italian lines of communication in Greece. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Ooh things are getting very interesting, things like Iran getting lend lease and firmly in the allies camp, Spain getting axis weapons enabling the Provisional Government to fight better and a successful counterattack from Greece seeming to occur, it seems that things are getting better for the WAllies quicker than otl.

Turkey putting their agents in Cyprus is a bad move really, it'd just make the Greeks there push for enosis more and I don't think the British will tolerate Turkic actions anymore. If anything Britain would just give sovereignty to Greece but keep control of the ports (or give it to the US).
Things in Cyprus are basically reverse right now instead of relying on the turks to maintain control the British will rely on the greeks instead...and there is a whole brigade of them right now in Cyprus

Things in Cyprus are basically reverse right now instead of relying on the turks to maintain control the British will rely on the greeks instead...and there is a whole brigade of them right now in Cyprus
Well since the Turks are part of the axis I'd expect that. I'd think ittl enosis cannot be stopped.