Map Thread XXII

This is a less serious infographic from the world of Atlas Altera. It was developed by Zveiner and I to pay homage to ... ketchup—and its interesting history.

Some cool TILs:
  • Did you know thhe word ketchup or catsup likely comes from Hokkien, koe-chiap, for "pickled fish brine"?
  • Did you know that before the tomato form became synonymous with the term itself, there was also mushroom ketchup or even white (horseradish) ketchup (as shown by Max Miller from Tasting History)?
  • Did you know that the related sauces of A1 and HP are defined by using raisins and tamarind, respectively?
This mapping exercise is partly inspired by Weird (Fruit) Explorer, who sometimes experiments with making ketchup from obscure fruits he encounters. To a lesser degree, it's also informed by the tidbits from people like Max Miller and Townsends. And a recent TED-Ed video on the history of ketchup inspired me to revisit the Wikimedia-style map on ketchup I made awhile ago and turn it into this much more satisfying infographic.

Other more serious ethnobotany maps we developed:
Awesome map, although I might be a bit biased because of my name lol.

It has been almost a decade that I do not read stuff about the ACW, so I am going to ask, didn't the CSA constitution ban political parties, and only allowed independent candidates to run, like Gaddafi's Libya?

I don't think it banned them no, I think it was a mixture of people having seen political parties as hindering their goals and the ruling class being virtually all from the same American party, so no parties formed among the political class as they didn't see a need.

Expansion of Visegrad Pact, Intermarium Organisation, European Council and European Cooperativ...png

Evolution of the "European Union" equilavent in my TL-ish thingy.
1979: Formation of the Visegrad Pact via the Treaty of Visegrad. With the Baltic Kingdom, Kingdom of Poland, Kingdom of Bohemia, Slovak Republic and Republic of Hungary as founding members (only permanent organ the Secretariat was headquartered in Krakow, lead by a Secretary-General chosen by the heads of government of member states). The organisation also mandated annual (or more frequent) meetings of the Heads of State, Heads of Government and Ministers of member states. In the three years before it evolved into the Intermarium Organisation the Pact passed a Common Energy Policy and Common Agriculture Policy, alongside some other common rules and regulations.
1981: Croatia joined the Visegrad Pact with the Treaty of Budapest.
1981: Treaty of Riga reforms the Visegrad Pact into the Intermarium Organisation with Finland and Denmark joining the 6 members of the Pact as founding members of it. Intermarium Organisation added an interparliamentary assembly under the name Senate with some legislative authority. A High Court to oversee the Organisation was also established with the justices appointed/approved by the Senate. Intermarium also had a Joint Chiefs of Staff for closer military cooperation. Throughout its lifetime the Intermarium Organisation instituted a Common Baltic Fishing Policy as well as a Free Trade Area.
1983: Sweden accedes with the Treaty of Stockholm.
1983: Bosnia, Montenegro and Albania join Intermarium with the Treaty of Zagreb.
1985: Romania and Bulgaria accede with the Treaty of Krakow.
1985: Intermarium Organisation and the German Empire form the European Council and European Cooperative Organisation with the Treaty of Berlin (thought German Guiana was not included). With the military/political alliance aspects taken over by the EC and economic and social aspects by the ECO. The seat of the High Court is moved from Krakow to Prague while the Senate is moved to Vienna. A directly elected European Parliament is also established in Vienna (creating a bicameral system of sorts with the Senate and the Parliament). The Council of Heads of Government is renamed the High Council. The High Council elects a "Chancellor" who is the leader of the European Council as a whole. These institutions are common between the EC and ECO. Joint Chiefs of Staff composed of member state chiefs of defense is replaced by the European Council General Staff headquartered in Bratislava/Pressburg, lead by a Director General. While European Cooperative Organisation Commission was established as an executive body also seated in Bratislava/Pressburg. The institution of the Councils of Ministers is also retained for the ECO.
1987: Treaty of Copenhagen sees accession of France, Basque Republic, Catalonia, Malta, Greece and Turkey.
1989: Treaty of Paris, Spain and Portugal join the EC/ECO (Portuguese Sao Tome and Principe, Cabinda and Macau not included).
1991: Treaty of Rome, Italy joins EC/ECO (Italian Indian Ocean Territory not included). Decision is taken to allow ECO membership without also being a member of the EC. San Marino,Vatican, Switzerland, Norway, Andorra, Iceland and Serbia join ECO but not the EC with the Treaty of Vienna (Switzerland and Norway rejected full membership via referendum before the EC-ECO split was decided on, Serbia applied for EC membership but was rejected for the time being thought allowed into the ECO). Throughout the 90s a customs union and common market is established within the ECO as well as visa liberalisation.
1997: European Council gains four members as Ireland joins with the Treaty of Dublin, Serbia with the Treaty of Belgrade, Andorra with Treaty of Barcelona and San Marino with Treaty of Milan.
2004: Iceland acceeds to the EC with the Treaty of Reykjavik. Open Borders between member states established in the 2000s.
2015: Estonia and Brittany secede from the Baltic Kingdom and France, respectively.
2016: Before the transitional period (establishment of border controls, tariffs etc) ends they apply for membership in their own right and rejoin with the Treaty of Brussels.
2022: Treaty of Constantinople/Istanbul, Georgia joins the European Cooperative Organisation without joining the European Council.

(Establishing a common currency like the OTL Euro and a common Central Bank is within EC/ECO agenda as a (near) future goal to achieve but has not been achieved unlike OTL.

Last edited:
super poland isot to tno.png

Poland and its puppet states (Czechia and Slovakia) ISOT'ed into the world of TNO. The map presents the aftermath of Polish victory over Einheitspakt and 2 days before the start of the Great Asian War

Made this more as a way of keeping track of things for a larger map but figured I'd post it;

View attachment 901301
Yeah um, outta curiosity what is the "Sprm." in "Sprm. Nrthrn. Cncl." supposed to mean? I know it obviously isn't what it sounds like but a broken part of my humour can't resist and the more mature side of my brain struggles to fill in the blanks.

(Edit: Oh my god, it's probably supreme isn't it? 🤦‍♂️)

(Edit 2: This an ATL?)

Last edited:
Yeah um, outta curiosity what is the "Sprm." in "Sprm. Nrthrn. Cncl." supposed to mean? I know it obviously isn't what it sounds like but a broken part of my humour can't resist and the more mature side of my brain struggles to fill in the blanks.

Supreme; in general most of my short hand just removes the vowels (excluding first letters).

Alright, so this is an idea I've had for a few years but never got around to doing and decided I wanted to do before I start my new job don't have as much time to do stuff.

The Stargate universe has always been one of my favourite sci-fi franchises and one I've always wanted to do something in, so I figured I'd make a map (well, two, I have
one more planned) set in it; I've tried to stay true to the canon as close as possible, however since SG-1 ended in 2007, Atlantis in 2009 and Universe in 2011 (and being set outside the local group so not doing much in worldbuilding on Earth) there's a lot I've just had to figure out myself based on the franchises established history, the trajectory things seemed to be heading and real world history (with some exceptions it stayed pretty close to OTL) and politics.

Established Synopsis:
The Stargate (ancient gates that connect as an artificial stable wormhole network) Program was began in the mid-90's and run by Stargate Command, itself part of the U.S. Air Force out of the Cheyenne Mountain Complex; for several years America managed to prevent any other countries finding out about it, however following a series of events (major battles with the Goa'uld and Replicators) Russia secretly recovered the original American Stargate, however through lack of knowledge they nearly wiped out an alien species and endangered Earth and eventually agreed to return the gate to the U.S. in return for running it as a semi-joint operation and being given access to any technologies discovered.
Eventually due to increased alien presence and threats the U.S. and Russia agreed to inform the other Permanent Security Council states about it, which lead to anger by them at the secrecy that was only prevented from becoming a global clusterfuck by Supreme Commander Thor beaming in and stating that, while his people would not intervene in Earth politics, they very much preferred that the status quo be retained.
Over time as more alien incursions happened and ancient alien artifacts were discovered a secret international body, the IOA* was formed and the Stargate and the later discovered Ancient Military Outpost in Antarctica and subsequent City of Atlantis (in a different galaxy) fell under its general authority, though with significant autonomy for the SGC.

Continued Synopsis:
Following the defeat of the Ori and thus the end of the last great galaxy-wide threat the SGC began focusing on exploration and generally trying to expand Humanity's knowledge base, though not without some trials along the way, ranging from politics to more rival star-spanning polities developing and lots in between, however even without the threat of invasion and the world powers all actively trying to keep it all secret the cracks in the façade have been forming since 2004 and has lead to the powers agreeing in 2020 that it couldn't be kept up indefinitely and that they would have to disclose the existence of the Stargate and everything related to it to the public in the near future lest events get away from them and they lose control of the narrative and situation; the P5 and IOA had originally hoped to gradually prepare things and go public in the early to mid 2030's, however given the infiltration of Earth by several Goa'uld actively causing chaos and seeking conquest as well as increasing tensions in the galaxy they were forced to move-up their plans to late 2025, roughly a year and a half in the future from the point of this map.

BACKGROUND NOTES:
Russia actually managed to democratize ITTL, with an attempted military coup being thwarted with the help of SG-1* in the early 2000's.
2. China, while authoritarian, has liberalized as well, though it is still an active rival to the West.
3. America, and later Russia, keeping the Stargate secret for so many years and being unwilling to share things initially lead to Europe growing more distrustful of both countries; this is perhaps best seen in the open questioning of the point of NATO by Berlin, London and Paris and Europe integrating further, with the creation of the Joint European Defence Force being the most well known example.
4. The nature of the Stargate and off-world travel and the existence of ancient alien artifacts (from three different civilizations) has meant that geopolitical priorities have evolved differently from OTL, most notably is America's interest in retaining influence in Middle-East as well as expanding influence in Central and South America; this has broadly remained possible due to Europe no longer being an area America needed to focus and East Asia requiring less time and resources given China's less antagonistic direction.

*In the show it stands for International Oversight Advisory, however I've changed the A to stands for Administration.
**Exploration is done by numbered SG teams, with SG-1 being the premier frontline team and focus of the first show.

SG-2024.png

Last edited:
2024_04_18_0j3_Kleki.png

The Roman Empire at its height in the universe of
ROMAN ATLANTROPA
A.D. 1950
Feel free to ask questions about lore!
(Yes, I am addicted to making maps for this universe)
Dark Brown: Senatorial Provinces
Light Brown: Imperial Provinces​

Last edited: