Base Maps from 550 BC to Modern Day, all in UCS! Part Duex

Could this be stickied to make it easier to find, please?:)

The old thread used to be stickied, but we asked for it not to be because it's become much more of a discussion thread than a repository for the basemaps itself.

If anything is to be stickied, it should be a general 'Basemap link database' with links to, in order:

-The Wiki Database (which should hopefully be getting some more love in the next month).
-This thread/the previous thread (the latter mainly to help us find things easier if we need to search that thread)
-The Q-BAM thread
-The Blank Map thread
-The OTL Map Thread Mk 4
-Anything else relevant at request.

That clearly emphasises the situation that we've wanted to promote for a while- that people should check the wiki first, then come to the basemap thread for requests/information if they can't find it.

Scrolling through the Wiki database, I can see what you mean when you say it needs some TLC. A lot of really old basemaps on there, and some that certainly need updating (in some cases it's really just the colour scheme that is wrong, as well as a few coasts and islands that have been updated recently).

I think there are maps of the year 1000, 1066 and 117, all by LSCatilina I think, that are still floating in the old thread.

Really? Tought I uploaded these age ago (that the 1115 should be edited, it's pratically screaming for mercy-killing).
Unfortunatly, I can't access the wiki for some weird reason :so there's the 1000 and 1066, if someone could be kind enough to upload them.

ZhoyZcz.png

4vHBeDd.png

There's some minor editing to do there as well...

I forgot that I made a "simplified" 1066 version, with suzerainty outlines being replaced by full colouring. Not sure if it's really useful.

Just to be on safe side, there's other maps that I may not have uploaded.

-323 (Death of Alexander)
kiUbufc.png

117 (Death of Trajan)
SEyWDgB.png

Both require some minor editing (essentially colour, but I forgot revolts in Armenia for 117)

Scrolling through the Wiki database, I can see what you mean when you say it needs some TLC. A lot of really old basemaps on there, and some that certainly need updating (in some cases it's really just the colour scheme that is wrong, as well as a few coasts and islands that have been updated recently).

I'm working on a few right now, I've almost finished a congress of Vienna map and am touching up the 1914 map. I also plan on making some patches.

Would you mind posting Chile around 1814-1815 if you have it?

Sure, here's the work so far. I've vastly simplified the War of Independence of course, but the situation of various key dates is there. It's the colonisation of Patagonia that's going to take a while to work out.

Chile Evolution Patch.png

I do love myself some Chile... So I'm definitely interested in this side project of yours.

Would you mind posting Chile around 1814-1815 if you have it?

Sure, here's the work so far. I've vastly simplified the War of Independence of course, but the situation of various key dates is there. It's the colonisation of Patagonia that's going to take a while to work out.

Chile con Carne :p

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

A slightly embarrassing patch here (I suspect people have just been copy-pasting these borders without really looking at them for the last 8 years): US State borders.

Mainly because of some borders being straight when they shouldn't be (OR/WA, missing the TN/KY jog southwards) some not being straight when they should be (ND/SD), some parallels being very messed up (Everything on the 37th parallel was a bit too far north, mainly as a consequence of not having the TN border jog to properly get those on 36-30) and some borders being off-parallel (Adam-Onis line should be on the same pixel line as PA/NY, but wasn't).

Oh, and it looks like all the Atlantic islands need correcting.

US Patch.png

Last edited:
Right, and here's a general patch for a load of islands in the Atlantic and Indian oceans. Britain provided to line things up, though I might not have gotten right areas of sea to cover up the old islands.

Thoughts, comments and corrections welcome.

Islands patch2.png