What if the British Royal Navy was allowed to keep the two power standard and build 3 more battlecruisers and 2 more battleships?

Maybe a was not as clear as I could have been. I was mostly looking at it from the point of view or at least from the arguments that the US would use.
Yes, officially the Empire was at its height. But the empire of that time was NOT the same as the Empire of say the mid 1800s. It was large but it was no longer on a level so far above everyone else that it could expect to simply toss its weight around and get what it wanted. This is demonstrated by the simple fact that it was willing to enter negotiations at all. In the past at the height of its power it would simply have out build anyone and everyone else. It obviously recognized that this was no longer trully possible otherwise it would mot have been bothered to negotiate.
And the way it was ran and the way it had to be protected and such was noticeably different at that point than say 100 years before. Australia for example had specific laws regarding its citizens and fighting for GB. Hence the infamous situation back in Africa that was turned into the (questionable accurate) movie Breaker Morant.
Heck during WW2 Australia had its own military construction programs going. And economically Canada was fast becoming more tied to the US than GB. Windsor Canada for example was basically becoming a suburb of Detroit. So the “Empire” was fading And was frankly running on momentum. Canada and Australia were in many respects more like allies. And were more than capable of running and protecting themselves. Just as they are today.
India is an odd one in that they COULD have done more of there own thing thing they were allowed to do.
And in all cases these countries were heading towards nominal independence. it is not. Like they suddenly woke up one day in 1945 and decided it would be fun to break up the Empire. And most folks living in them did not consider themselves as “English”.

And I will point out I didn’t say GB couldn’t justify a large Navy, I just pointed out that SO COULD the US. And unlike GB which had over sea territories but was able to protect its core with one fleet. The US by definition HAD to keep two separate fleets just to protect the coasts of its CORE country. Great Britain could protect the Home Islands with a single “home fleet”

Note the point of these statements are part of “negotiations”. Where each side makes its claim as to why it should get X while the other guy gets only Y.
The stated premise of this topic is that somehow GB was allowed enough tonnage to match the US and Japan COMBINED. My point was what the US would argue, and what they would except.

And the US WOULD argue that they had every bit as big a need for a fleet as GB did if not a bigger need. Thus my point that Arguably you had GB and you had the over sea territories.
If you want to argue today that the US was willing back then to recognize that Canada and India and Australia and the British Virgin Islands were integral parts of “England/Great Britain”. Then consider what would happen during negotiations if GB said they were parking a large fleet in Canada and moving half the British army there. The US would have had a cow and you would have seen an instant Cold War and an arms race.
So there is part of the Empire and there is GB. And by post WW1 the Empire was on its way out.

Also Reality and what a country believes are only lousily related.
In a world we’re GB is powerful enough to get the US and Japan to accept them building a fleet that match both of theirs combined GB is so powerful that it does not need to negotiate the arms limitation treat to start with! It will simply out produce its opponent. Just as it had historically done up to WW1. But GB and the Empire was no longer able yo do that. In part because the cost of WW1, but also because others had increased in power while the Empire was slowly fading and its bigger/more important overseas territories were more and more looking inwards.
If anything the US was bargining from the position of strength. It had only been made stronger by WW1 and it was starting its phase that would see it as the dominant economic and manufacturing power of WW2. So it COULD afford the battleship race it just did want to.
But for various reasons posted elsewhere it would NEVER have agreed to a treaty that left it a distant 2nd to GB and gave Japan 66% of the USS entire navy. It would be literally impossible for the US to protect itself. Much less use it’s navy to influence anyone.
If it put enough in the Pacific then it had 33% in the Atlantic and GB is 3 times it’s Atlantic Navy assume it divides its fleet evenly and has 2 times or better assuming GB deploys to all its traditional locations.
And heaven help the US if GB and Japan renewed their friendship and both came after the US.
No this treaty the OP suggests makes ZERO sense as only way the US would except it is if it HAD to. And they only way it would have to is for GB to ne SO powerful that it could out build the US by more then 2 to one. And if GB could afford to do that then why bother with the treaty at all?
So A) this POD would take a radically different world where the US is a lot weaker and or GB is a LOT stronger and B) it would still need a reason to bother making the treaty.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
But not it's economic height. Most of the Empire was unprofitable.
True. The Germans had found almost all of their colonies a money pit, so the Brits didn't really take a lot of useful territory. Did they even attempt to finish the Cape to Cairo railway?

Correlli Barnett judged the Empire was the reason for extreme strategic overstretch for the RN in WWII and it may have been better to not have to keep the Empire safe. However that would go against the emotional ties along with the closed market the British had in the Sterling zone, and that much of the home nation's foodstuffs came from the Empire. They were preparing to let it go (e.g. India) in the 1930's then an annoying Austrian ex-corporal showed up.

How about we get around the monetary problems by still cancelling the new british ships, but we avoid the scuttling of the german fleet at Scapa Flow, and the british getting such a number of german capital ships that the two power standard would be maintained without any new builds?

The German capital ships were totally unsuitable for the RN.

They were built to fight the RN in the North Sea. They sacrificed range for protection and had comparatively poor standards of accommodation for the ship's company as the ship was not expected to stay out of port for that long, which would have made using them in the far flung Empire a serious issue.

They also used different sized guns, which would have made the RNs already daft array of different guns an even worse logistical nightmare, not to mention having to build the production facilities for the shells. Add in having to set up production lines for different spare parts etc (which are all built in metric).

True. The Germans had found almost all of their colonies a money pit, so the Brits didn't really take a lot of useful territory. Did they even attempt to finish the Cape to Cairo railway?
Much talk, some work on local segments, no money for the whole project.

Correlli Barnett judged the Empire was the reason for extreme strategic overstretch for the RN in WWII and it may have been better to not have to keep the Empire safe. However that would go against the emotional ties along with the closed market the British had in the Sterling zone, and that much of the home nation's foodstuffs came from the Empire. They were preparing to let it go (e.g. India) in the 1930's then an annoying Austrian ex-corporal showed up.
Indeed, the imperial delusion was strong, stronger than reality. The Dominions were drifting away, and refusing to pay for their own defense.

The German capital ships were totally unsuitable for the RN.

They were built to fight the RN in the North Sea. They sacrificed range for protection and had comparatively poor standards of accommodation for the ship's company as the ship was not expected to stay out of port for that long, which would have made using them in the far flung Empire a serious issue.

They also used different sized guns, which would have made the RNs already daft array of different guns an even worse logistical nightmare, not to mention having to build the production facilities for the shells. Add in having to set up production lines for different spare parts etc (which are all built in metric).
True, though as pure defensive Home Fleet units they could have had value. Regunning might have been a viable option.

What if rather than completing and keeping the Hawkins class 7.5" gunned Cruisers the RN was able to discard them in the ALT treaty in compensation being allowed one extra Nelson and all treaty cruisers were limited to 6". Any ship with guns over 6" having to come out of your Battleship tonnage would effectively kill the large cruiser.
Losing the 50,000 tons of the five Hawkins class Cruisers for one 35,000 ton battle ship might sound like a bad deal but it does give the RN 50,000 tons for extra 6" cruisers.
Using a standard displacement of 7500 tons for a light cruisers this gives you six extra cruisers plus 5000 tons of wriggle room, go for 7000 tons each for seven ships.
The OTL County Class took up around 130,000 tons of treaty cruiser weight using our ATL 7,500 6" gun design gives you around four extra ships on that tonnage. The 7,000 ton cruiser would give you an extra five ships. The RN having one extra Nelson and 10 or twelve more cruisers would IMHO be significant in an ALT WW2.
Would this preclude the powerful Southhampton, Gloucester, and Edinburgh Classes? Unlike the weak Treaty Cruisers those 12 gun ships could match any Axis cruisers afloat with the possible exception of the Deutschland Class when they were rerated as heavy cruisers.

As I stae in my post the whole point for the RN is to have cruisers limited to six inch guns. Anything bigger comes out of their battleship tonnage. So will not happen.

Would this preclude the powerful Southhampton, Gloucester, and Edinburgh Classes? Unlike the weak Treaty Cruisers those 12 gun ships could match any Axis cruisers afloat with the possible exception of the Deutschland Class when they were rerated as heavy cruisers.
The RN found they needed big hulled cruisers just for the range and capability, even after they found the Counties too expensive. So there will be drivers for a large cruiser in the 30s.
OTOH for an unfettered RN the ultimate answer to a heavy cruiser will always be to drop a G3 on it. When you can build fast battleships at will, there is a huge no-mans land between 8000 and 50000 tons where you have to ask serious questions as to whether a big cruiser is worth the coin. This is before we start considering what smallish carriers do to the type. Even in the 20s a carrier is a command ship/scout able to sic a squadron of light cruisers onto a raider.

My bad i was forgetting those were the large 6" cruisers. especially as in the last year I have been carrying out serious archive research into their designers!! I really dropped the Ball there, 00os.

Last edited:
My bad i was forgetting those were the large 6" cruisers. especially as in the last year I have been carrying out serious archive research into their designers!! I really dropped the Ball there, 00os.
Well all do that, blinded by something we see too often. Like my SO#1 trying frantically to find her wallet and being annoyed when I point out that it was in the bowl on the coffee table, her eyes glanced over it.
Of course this was somehow my fault.....

The first sentence of the OP.
What if the Washington naval treaty of 1922 had allowed the British Royal Navy to keep its prior two power standard and build the Nelson class battleships and complete the rest of the admiral class (HMS Hood’s class) rather than have the same amount of capital ships as the American Navy?
Please note the following:
1) As other's have written, it wouldn't have happened, but I'll play along as a thought experiment.​
2) As other's have written, it wouldn't have happened, but I'll play along as a thought experiment.​
And.​
3) As other's have written, it wouldn't have happened, but I'll play along as a thought experiment.​

AIRCRAFT CARRIERS
The Tonnage Quotas

The OTL WNT also set qualitative and quantitative limits for aircraft carriers. The tonnage quotas were:
135,000 tons British Empire​
135,000 tons United States​
81,000 tons Japan​
60,000 tons France​
60,000 tons Italy.​

ITTL the quotas would have been:
216,000 tons British Empire (135,000 tons + 81,000 tons)​
135,000 tons United States​
81,000 tons Japan​
60,000 tons France​
60,000 tons Italy.​

The 1924 Plan

IOTL the Admiralty wanted to build four 17,000 ton aircraft carriers by 1938 (which would be laid down at the rate of one every 3 or 4 years and take 3 or 4 years to build) and the RN would have 7 aircraft carriers in 1938 consisting of Courageous, Furious, Glorious and the four 17,000 ton ships because Argus, Eagle & Hermes were to be scrapped to provide some of the tonnage required for the four new ships. It also wanted three aircraft carriers 10,000 tons for trade protection in narrow seas. These used the loophole in the Washington Treaty that allowed unlimited construction of aircraft carriers that displaced less than 10,000 tons each.

My guess is that ITTL the Admiralty would want six 22,500 ton ships (total 135,000 tons) and six 13,500 ton ships (total 81,000 tons) which would make a total of 12 aircraft carriers. The large ships would work with the main fleets and consist of 3 new ships to be built by 1938 plus Courageous, Furious and Glorious. The small ships took the place of the three 10,000 ton aircraft carriers in the OTL Plan, but instead of being for "trade protection in narrow seas" they would work with the cruisers on the stations, showing the flag in peace and protecting the trade routes in war. They were to have been enlarged versions of Hermes with double the installed horse power for a maximum speed of at least 30 knots, but the larger hull would have given the ships a longer flight deck and bigger hangar for a larger air group. The six ships would be built between 1924 & 1938 and in common with OTL Argus, Eagle & Hermes would be scrapped to provide some of the tonnage.

The TTL version of the 1924 is similar to the Admiralty's post-tonnage-quota plan of OTL which was for a total of 14 aircraft carriers by the middle of the 1940s consisting of 8 to work with the main fleets, 5 to work with the cruisers on the trade routes and one deck-landing training ship.

What Happened IOTL

Only one of the four aircraft carriers was built IOTL. This was Ark Royal, built under the 1934-35 Navy Estimates, laid down in 1935, launched in 1937 and completed in 1938 so the aircraft carrier force had 7 ships consisting of Argus, Ark Royal, Courageous, Eagle, Furious, Glorious and Hermes.

What Happened IOTL

Only one of the nine aircraft carriers was built ITTL. This was Ark Royal, built under the 1934-35 Navy Estimates, laid down in 1935, launched in 1937 and completed in 1938 so the aircraft carrier force had 7 ships consisting of Argus, Ark Royal, Courageous, Eagle, Furious, Glorious and Hermes.

Because (all other things being equal) the British Government spends the same amount of money on aircraft carriers and naval aviation ITTL as it did IOTL. The only extra money spent ITTL is what was needed to build & operate the 2 extra Nelson class battleships and to maintain the extra old capital ships in the reserve fleet.

All other things being equal the tonnage quotas came to an end at the end of 1936 and the RN was able to implement its October 1935 Plan for a force of 14 aircraft carriers by the middle of the 1940s (which was to consist of 10 new ships of the 23,000 ton type, Ark Royal, Courageous, Furious and Glorious) to be used as follows:
8 to work with the main fleets.​
5 to work with cruisers on the open ocean hunting down surface raiders.​
1 for deck landing training.​

And all other things being equal 6 aircraft carriers of the 23,000 ton type and the aircraft maintenance ship Unicorn would be under construction or on order on 3rd September 1939.

Last edited:
SUBMARINES, CRUISERS AND DESTROYERS
PART ONE
What if the Washington naval treaty of 1922 had allowed the British Royal Navy to keep its prior two power standard and build the Nelson class battleships and complete the rest of the admiral class (HMS Hood’s class) rather than have the same amount of capital ships as the American Navy?
Please note the following:
1) As other's have written, it wouldn't have happened, but I'll play along as a thought experiment.​
2) As other's have written, it wouldn't have happened, but I'll play along as a thought experiment.​
And.​
3) As other's have written, it wouldn't have happened, but I'll play along as a thought experiment.​

Post 24.
Is this ALT-WNT followed by ALT-LNTs which allow the UK/British Empire/British Commonwealth to have the same number of submarines, cruisers and destroyers as the USA & Japan combined?
In the absence of a reply I'll assume that there's an ALT-First LNT which allowed the UK/British Empire/British Commonwealth to have the same number of submarines, cruisers and destroyers as the USA & Japan combined and that there's an ALT-Second LNT which abolished the tonnage quotas. I'll also assume that the qualitative limits of the ALT-WNT and both ALT-LNTs were the same as OTL.

Submarines
IOTL the quotas were.​
52,700 tons British Commonwealth.​
52,700 tons United States​
52,700 tons Japan​
ITTL the quotas were.​
105,400 tons British Commonwealth (52,700 + 52,700).​
52,700 tons United States​
52,700 tons Japan​
Cruisers
IOTL the quotas were.​
339,000 tons British Commonwealth. Including:​
146,800 tons with guns of more than 6.1 inch (155 mm) calibre.​
And.​
192,200 tons with guns of 6.1 inch (155 mm) calibre or less.​
323,500 tons United States. Including:​
180,000 tons with guns of more than 6.1 inch (155 mm) calibre.​
And.​
143,500 tons with guns of 6.1 inch (155 mm) calibre or less.​
208,850 tons Japan. Including:​
108,400 tons with guns of more than 6.1 inch (155 mm) calibre.​
And.​
100,450 tons with guns of 6.1 inch (155 mm) calibre or less.​
ITTL the quotas were.​
532,350 tons British Commonwealth (323,500 + 208,850). Including:​
288,400 tons with guns of more than 6.1 inch (155 mm) calibre (180,000 + 108,400).​
And.​
243,950 tons with guns of 6.1 inch (155 mm) calibre or less (143,500 + 100,450)​
Except it would probably be for more small cruisers and less large cruisers.​
323,500 tons United States. Including:​
180,000 tons with guns of more than 6.1 inch (155 mm) calibre.​
And.​
143,500 tons with guns of 6.1 inch (155 mm) calibre or less.​
208,850 tons Japan. Including:​
108,400 tons with guns of more than 6.1 inch (155 mm) calibre.​
And.​
100,450 tons with guns of 6.1 inch (155 mm) calibre or less.​

The "ifs and buts" section of the OTL 1st LNT limited the number of cruisers that the British Commonwealth could lay down after 1st April 1930 and complete before 31st December 1936 to 91,000 tons worth, which is 27% of the OTL quota of 339,000 tons. 27% of the TTL quota (532,350 tons) is 142,900 tons.

The "ifs and buts" section of the OTL 1st LNT allowed the United States to have 189,000 tons of cruisers with 6.1in guns of less if it limited its cruisers with guns of more than 6.1in to 150,000 tons, which increased the grand total to 339,000 tons, i.e. the same as the British Commonwealth.

Destroyers
IOTL the quotas were.​
150,000 tons British Commonwealth.​
150,000 tons United States.​
105,500 tons Japan​
ITTL the quotas were.​
255,500 tons British Commonwealth (150,000 + 105,500).​
150,000 tons United States.​
105,500 tons Japan​

Except, that, in common with what I wrote about the aircraft carrier force, the RN won't be given the money to maintain that many submarines, cruisers and destroyers.

*** END OF PART ONE ***​

Last edited:
The first sentence of the OP.
FWIW IOTL

WNT Ships Retained by the Contracting Powers Mk 2.png

Last edited:
Ok lets play this out.
The US and Japan in an act of complete insanity agree to let GB dominate the worlds oceans and thus render them Second or third class.
So what happens next?
GB spends the next 5 years trying to build what they are allowed and ultimately they cant afford it and end up building about what ther US is building.
Remember GB agreed to the treaties because they were having trouble affording the Battleship building race in the first place. So they are going to have a problem paying for this in raised tonnage long term. And ultimately they wont build it all or it will be filled out with older hulls that are basically obsolete.

Remember GB agreed to the treaties because they were having trouble affording the Battleship building race in the first place.
Perhaps but in this TL there wouldn't be a race - if the US and Japan accept RN supremacy and stick to their limits then the RN can build up gradually to its new limit which would help keep its ship building industry alive (providing the battleship building holiday didn't take place which I would assume wouldn't as the RN is allowed to be bigger). No more 2 battleships being ordered each year and more like 1 being ordered every 3.

More sustainable economically and feeds back in to the economy which could at least be a few more drops in the leaky bucket that was the great depression economy

What Britain really needed was more Destroyers and escort vessels and more Crusiers

At the Beginning of WW2 it had a total of 61 crusiers - of 40 light Crusiers (with 8 building and of those 40 ,18 were C, D and E class ships), 15 heavy Crusiers and 6 anti aircraft cruisers (all converted C class vessels and 16 Didos building)

I believe that the RN wanted about 80 cruisers in total to patrol the sea lanes and as you can see - it was far short of that requirement come the start of WW2

What the British really needed with regards to its capital ships was not more capital ships but a way to mitigate the block obsolescence issue that it found itself in during the mid/late 30s with all but 2 of its 15 capital ships (The NelRods) laid down pre Jutland and only 4 of those enjoying a modernising deep refit.

Ideally this would be G3s/N3s* allowing the 13.5" armed ships to be decommissioned during the 20s.

*Calibre limitations not withstanding

Regarding Destroyers - perhaps build larger Squadrons earlier?

Ok lets play this out.
The US and Japan in an act of complete insanity agree to let GB dominate the worlds oceans and thus render them Second or third class.
So what happens next?
GB spends the next 5 years trying to build what they are allowed and ultimately they cant afford it and end up building about what the US is building.
Remember GB agreed to the treaties because they were having trouble affording the Battleship building race in the first place. So they are going to have a problem paying for this in raised tonnage long term. And ultimately they wont build it all or it will be filled out with older hulls that are basically obsolete.
This is part of Post 33 from a Secret Projects thread called "Alternative Royal Navy During the Interwar Period".
Total Defence Spending in the Financial Year 1921-22 was £189.4 million and didn't return to that level until 1936-37 (the first Financial Year of full scale rearmament) when it was £186.1 million. It was reduced to £111.0 million in 1922-23 and the average for the 14 Financial Years 1922-23 to 1935-36 was £113.64 million.
The figures for Naval Expenditure were £80.8 million in 1921-22 and didn't return to that level until 1936-37 when it was £81.1 million. It was reduced to £56.2 million in 1922-23 and the average for the 14 Financial Years 1922-23 to 1935-36 was £55.8 million.
So depending upon how it's done Naval Expenditure was.
  • About £24 million or 30% less in the period 1922-23 to 1935-36 than it had been in 1921-22 and would be in 1936-37.
  • About £24 million or 43% more in 1921-22 and 1936-37 than it had been in the 14 financial years 1922-23 to 1935-36.
In the 1921-22 Financial Year Total Government Expenditure was £1,079.2 million, but Total Revenue was £1,124.9 million so there was a Surplus of £45.7 million which was 4.2% of Revenue.
In 1922-23 Expenditure was reduced to £812.5 million and Revenue was reduced to £914.0 million producing a Surplus of £101.5 million which was 12.5% of Revenue.
However, there was a further reduction in Revenue in 1923-24 to £837.2 million and a further reduction in Expenditure to £788.8 million which produced a surplus of 48.3 million which was 6.1% of Revenue.
For the next 12 Financial Years (1924-25 to 1935-36) Total Revenue fluctuated between about £800 & £860 million and Total Expenditure fluctuated between about £780 & £880 million. During this period the maximum Surplus was £31.1 million (4.0% of Revenue) in 1933-34 and the maximum Deficit was £36.7 million (4.4% of Revenue) in 1926-27.
The averages for the 14 Financial Years 1922-23 to 1935-36 were £832.7 million for Revenue, £825.7 million for Expenditure with an average Surplus of £7.0 million which was 0.8% of the average Revenue.
In 1936-37 the first Financial Year of full scale rearmament Total Revenue and Total Expenditure were £896.6 million and £902.2 million respectively. Both were about £50 million more than the previous financial year. This was not surprising because Total Defence Expenditure was about £50 million more than 1935-36 (£186.1 million v £136.9 million). What was surprising was that although Defence Spending had returned to pre-Geddes Axe levels, Revenue and Expenditure had not. They were £228.3 million and £177.0 million less than 1921-22 respectively.
That was in part due to the cost of servicing the National Debt. In 1921-22 the Total National Debt Service was £332.3 million and in 1935-36 it was £224.0 million. There had been no reduction in the National Debt because according to my source it was £7,720.5 million at 31st March 1922 and £7,901.6 million at 31st March 1936. However, there had been a refinancing of the National Debt in the early 1930s. The average Total National Debt Service for the 11 financial years 1922-23 to 1932-33 was £350.8 million, but for the next 4 years (1933-34 to 1936-37) it was £224.0 million, which is a reduction of about £125 million.
To summarise, IOTL the total British Government spending for the 1921-22 financial year was £1,079.2 million, however, it still had a surplus of £45.7 million because its revenue was £1,124.9 million. Then the Geddes Axe happened and for the next 14 financial years (1922-23 to 1935-36) the average annual revenue was reduced to £832.7 million, the average annual expenditure was £825.7 million and the average annual surplus was £7.0 million. See the table below.

Average Revenue Expenditure 1922-23 to 1935-36.png

If the Geddes Axe hadn't been wielded the UK could have afforded a much stronger Royal Navy, and a stronger British Army, and a doubled RAF and increased Civil Expenditure by 43% and by 31st March 1936 reduced the National Debt by about £550 million. However, I think the Geddes Axe would still have been wielded.

British Government Revenue and Expenditure 1st April 1919 to 31st March 1939

Revenue and Expenditure 1919-20 to 1938-39.png

True, though as pure defensive Home Fleet units they could have had value. Regunning might have been a viable option.
Not worth the enormous cost of maintaining foreign built ships with no supply chain. Germany was a potential enemy so no help there. Everything was in metric, and do you even have all the manuals. If you even get the manuals you have to translate them into English. Their also getting old fast since most of them are pre-war designs. This at the same time you're trying to upgrade your own ships and build new ones to modern standards. The Battlecruisers are probable the best ships to keep, but if the Hood Class wasn't worth building why would you want the Derfflinger's?