Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

(or, one can dream, multi-party)
Essentially impossible so long as the voting system is still FPTP. The best possible scenario under that system would be for very minor parties to manage to persist longer than a single cycle, and even then they wouldn’t accomplish much.

Essentially impossible so long as the voting system is still FPTP. The best possible scenario under that system would be for very minor parties to manage to persist longer than a single cycle, and even then they wouldn’t accomplish much.
You could see a lot of local parties being the 'other party'.

Exactly. With a winner-take-all set outcome, where majority rules supreme, and a distinct constitutional (rather than parliamentarian) system, third parties-long term-just have nowhere to go.

A bifurcating Republican party is a better option than people eventually turning to the Democrats just because they were the alternative, which is basically what happened OTL.
Agreed. A factor in the downfall of the Republican Party in the South was the depth of corruption and Black Republicans frustration with that corruption. With a Republican Party split on the issues of civil service reform, tariffs, and more economic matters rather than the issue of Reconstruction itself and there being no legitimate opposition (Democrats and the National Unionists have painted themselves as against the very issue the war is being fought over) are going to look different.

There’ll also be more room for fusionist parties like the Readjusters in Virginia across the South.

I think there’s a real possibility for an interesting development in sociopolitical relations in the South. The big problem will always be with what role do former the fiercest unrepentants play in the Reconstruction period, but to a lesser degree how does Frederick Douglass change from OTL. He is the preeminent Black voice and will be so for some time. Given contentions around the role of women, Harriet Tubman may also play a bigger role than IOTL. There are thousands of working women across the South whose husbands have secured political rights by way of military service. Once the bottle gets uncapped it’ll be hard to cap it back.

Abolishing FPTP is at or near the very top of my wish list for electoral reform, yes, though the method of abolishing it ought to vary from situation to situation.

Plus, there were hell a lot of stuffs regarding Civil Service Reforms could have been done without touching Reconstruction - for example, cleaning up the Department of the Interior, or avoiding OTL ridiculous nepotism under Grant Presidency. Note that the majority of Orville Babcock’s corrupt acts were NOT related to Reconstruction.

Grant totally dragged his feet IOTL.

Last edited:

You could see a lot of local parties being the 'other party'.
In terms of something worth exploring ITTL from OTL USA that could better illustrate an alternative and more multi-party system, I would like to bring up Electoral Fusion which was a relatively common practice around the time of the US Civil War and its immediate aftermath into and post-Reconstruction and, especially in the context of the South ITTL, would present a very interesting alternate take after the white supremacists of the Southern Democrats largely crushed it and helped create federal laws and institutional inertia that prevented multi-party endorsements from ever rising again (it must also be said that Northern Republicans also hated the practice given it allowed a challenge to their power, so that would also have to be dealt with).

For those unfamiliar, fusion politics is basically just the practice where local branches of different parties would band together in a coalition and run or endorse joint candidates to avoid vote-splitting against a shared political foe. Nothing especially ground-breaking, but it was growing very strong with the rise of the Populist Party in American politics post Reconstruction, and more importantly it saw regional variations. In the West, the Populist parties tended to create Fusionist platforms with the Democratic Party, but in the post-Reconstruction South, the Fusionist movement was a mix of the Populists and the Republican parties as a way for poor or progressive Southern Whites to collaborate with Black Republicans without either side compromising the other against the stranglehold the planter class had and wanted to maintain over government via the southern Democratic Party. Remnants of it exist in New York's local political scene (see the Working Families Party or the Conservative Party of NY) and in things like Minnesota's Democratic Party officially being the Democratic Farmer Labor Party (as the FL party basically was so dominant over the local Democratic Party it was in fusion with that it basically just absorbed them), but the two dominant parties largely worked to make it as illegal as possible so as to consolidate their control of election funds and attention.

As stated, IOTL the practice mostly died, with a particularly notable example being the crushing of North Carolina's Fusionist coalition that wanted to stop a lot of Jim Crow laws meant to limit access to voting for both black and poor white voters.

One option for TTL could be where the seemingly dominating Republican party starts to factionalize and different sides end up creating Fusionist tickets with minor parties that form out of different interest groups on the regional, racial, socio-economic, or religious level, allowing those groups to gradually grow stronger until one or more of them reach a true status of import and become full-on opposition alternatives to the Republican party.

FPTP would still probably see national politics consolidate around two large parties (maybe two-and-a-half in the UK style) but electoral fusion politics lasting longer would allow for the proliferation of smaller regional parties that get a strong seat at the table instead of the OTL wings of the dominant two parties only in a way that is more based in existing US historical systems rather than a parliamentary or instant run-off style somehow taking hold.

Last edited:
Please like the update and share any thoughts you might have!

This is the penultimate update - the next one is the final full update, and after that we just have an epilogue to make the transition to Reconstruction. As I have said previously, I will most likely create a new thread for Part II of the TL. Now, I suppose we're just all itching to get this over with and finally, finally deliver on a better Reconstruction as promised. I know I am. This update thus may strike some as superfluous, and the number of likes is certainly lower. We all knew Lincoln was winning anyway, and in a certain sense we've already passed the timeline's climax with the coup and the marches that seal the fate of the Confederacy. But I have come to pride myself on the level of detail I include, so a not-detailed account of the election wouldn't have sit right with me. Moreover, consider the first half talking about the Black community from the focus of purely social history something of a rehearsal for the second part. That is, the great majority of Reconstruction updates will be like that, far more political and social, given that, you know, the war is over.

yeah if i had to go with a guiding song, i'd pick a song from crazy ex gf too, that show has a song for a lot of scenarios
Oh, I love that show.

so in our timeline George Thomas’ family disowned him, refused money he sent to help him post war. If they survive the war /famine are the going to be desperate enough to at least acknowledge him?
I'm pretty sure I wrote somewhere that his family never talked to him again. So, yeah...

Well, looks like Lincoln being the New Washington includes winning all electoral votes for his reelection.
From my point of view Lincoln is already greater than Washington.

ACTUAL LINCOLNSWEEP I AM IN TEARS, great chapter as usual, and a good look towards how reconstruction will go forward in the future.
Thanks! And yes, this basically is setting up the foundations for Reconstruction!

It's so Toombover for Dixie bros.
It's been Toombover for a long while, they just refuse to recognize it.

I was expecting at the very least for Tilden or Johnson to narrowly win Kentucky, but yeah, I would like to congratulate Lincoln on doing what Washington (and Monroe) had done before!
That was in the original draft but I decided what the hell Lincoln deserves it.

Hurrah for another 4 years of Lincoln! Admittedly, I’m surprised that Tilden and Andrew Johnson didn’t have join up in the face of crushing defeat, but they probably would’ve gone done anyway. There is plenty of progress yet to be made on black suffrage, the only question is if it happens during the war or after depending on how quickly the burnt husk of House of Dixie falls.

Not going to lie, this one had me belly laughing on the train.

Welp, RIP (rest in piss) to Andrew Johnson’s political career. Tilden’s career has taken a blow but still looks salvageable.

I also have to wonder how far the Union League will go after the war - maybe they become supplements for the military garrison, especially needed during demobilization of the volunteer army, and become an army of their own right. There is also the possibility of a future split in the Republican Party on labour, monetary policy, civil service reform, etc - it would be concerning if parties in the future had their own paramilitary.

The Democrats and Copperheads be like:
View attachment 875752
I am not crazy! I know he swapped those votes! I knew it was Kentucky. One after Vermont. As if I could ever make such a mistake. Never. Never! I just - I just couldn't prove it. He - he covered his tracks, he got that Union League and military to lie for him. You think this is something? You think this is bad? This? This chicanery? He's done worse. That vote in Maryland! Are you telling me that honest white men just happen to vote for nigger government? No! He orchestrated it! Old Abe! He suspended habeas corpus! And I allowed him! And I shouldn't have! What was I thinking? He'll never change. He'll never change! Ever since 1861, always the same! Couldn't keep his hands out of the polling booth or the courts! But not our Old Abe! Couldn't be precious Old Abe! Stealing the planters blind! And he gets to be president!? What a sick joke! I should've stopped him when I had the chance! And you - you have to stop him!
They did manage to create fusion tickets in many places, similarly to the fusion tickets between Douglas, Breckinridge and Bell in the 1860 election, but overall remained divided mostly because of left-over bitterness over the failed Second Chicago Convention, Johnson's stubbornness, and Tilden's belief that allying with Johnson would destroy his support with moderate Republicans (something he ended up doing himself anyway). And yes, although Tilden has suffered a blow he will remain a political player. Johnson on the other hand will probably retreat to Tennessee and try to obtain a Senate seat or something as "vindication" - he did this IOTL, to an almost pathological level. The Union League will be important indeed for Reconstruction. A sad consequence of this more radical war is a legitimization of political violence. It's all fine and good when the "good guys" use it against enslavers and terrorists, but it can have bad consequences when the "bad guys" are labor organizers.

Love the social and political history on display here!
Thanks! I do believe a lot of TLs tend to forget the social side of history, especially when it comes to Black communities, so I've tried to do them justice here.

So...George H Pendleton...

What exactly is this guy? I mean, what is he? unrepentant Copperhead and die-hard pro slavery? Like, what is he?
I mean... yeah, basically that.

Great stuff!

Hardcore Copperhead who opposed the 13th amendment and wanted to peace out with the confederates. Later sponsored civil service reform but he's not popular these days, when people know who he is.
Thanks! Pendleton post-war career is kinda weird. He truly became something of a proto-populist by championing what he called the "Ohio Idea" of paying bonds in greenbacks, to the point that he was apparently willing to accept Black suffrage, which scared Eastern financiers like Tilden and led to his defeat in the 1868 DNC. Later he became a successful advocate of civil service reform. He was also married to the daughter of Francis Scott Key (the author of the Star Spangled Banner) and is portrayed in Stephen Spielberg's Lincoln as the chief opponent of the 13th amendment.

Holy Zeus

Lincoln not only racked up the points but dude slam dunk all those racist fools so hard that they likely be along the worse losers in a presidential race ever. Abe has ascension to a special club of presidents who win too hard.

Cue the song All I Do Is Win at the victory party.

Also how is Johnson still alive after that stunt, I would think someone take a shot at him or something.

The second American revolution is amazing, it ain't stopping and going plus ultra!!!

I literally never imagined how important education could be to someone who been illiterate all their life and its nice reading how much the freedmen want to learn. Guess your never too old to attend classes and show off in class while your kids pretend not to know you in the back 😂
The Second Revolution is just picking up steam! And yes, for the freedmen education became a great priority. After all, the enslavers had done their very best to keep them from learning how to read and write, so doing so was for them one of the chief blessings of freedom. Made them feel like they were truly free.

Excellent. The only place for a slaver is a mass grave. Now if only they'd spare others the trouble of digging and killing them.

My hatred for slavery and those who practice it aside, it's good to see Lincoln manage to sweep the nation. That's a repudiation of slavery if there ever was one. Shame though that Blacks will still have a long struggle ahead of them to gain their naturally ordained rights.

Although with how they're organizing, I wonder how this will effect the labour movement. Since especially in how Blacks are basically unionizing to resist exploitation and plantation work, I'm now somewhat worried that unions in general will be tarred with a racial brush, with industrialists claiming that they're just for "lazy n******" rather then "hardworking Whites", since I doubt racism will disappear anytime soon and playing workers against each other is a time-honoured practice.
It is harder to make peace than to make war, after all. The Reconstruction Era will be full of struggle for sure, but also hope as Americans Black and White fight to create a better nation. Now, you raise a very interesting point given that the structures of the Black community I mentioned often helped to organize them as laborers as well. Racism, as you note, played a part for the Labor unions that were created in the South during the wave of populism discriminated against Black workers, weakening themselves in the face of the planters' continued power. Now that the planter class is going to be swept away from the earth, we may see greater interracial cooperation.

Why would they? Never worked for it in life, they certainly won't do shit before dying.
In his last moments Toombs asks his manservant to kill him, too lazy to commit suicide.

Is it weird that I find this funny in a metaphysical/metatextual sense?
Huh, I guess this Johnson would be right, in that I, the author, am indeed out to get him. It's certainly funny read that way.

@Red_Galiray ! Amazing! LINCOLN VICTORY! His place as the Greatest is becoming more assured!
Thanks!

"I do not want a master, not even a nice one like you." anonymous freedwoman edit: Just to be sure, I made this up. I'm just thought it would have been a fitting thing to say. Maybe someone actually said it, but I do not know that.
Seriously, the way marriage law worked back then is disgusting, especially when you ask "how does this compare to slavery". Mind you, I'm by NO means saying it is the same or whatever. If nothing else, the social status is much better. What I mean is that is close enough to feel disturbing. Coverture for example was actually compared to slavery back then, and I can see why. So I really liked this section.

Is that ITL or OTL ?

I will admit that I expected to see the end of the war, but this was nice too. If anything, I have been spoiled by the attention to detail this TL has. Seriously, I felt that other TL's update was too short, and I realized that I have been unconsciously comparing it with this.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that a Black woman indeed compared her expected subordination to slavery. But, indeed, Black women also played a very important part in Reconstruction as we'll see soon! As for that, the OTL Freedman's Bureau once fired a teacher for using that word, so I decided that transforming that into more general guidelines would be a nice way to show the changes here. Yes, Lincoln has gone woke. Next update is finally the end of the war! As mentioned before, I have taken pride in the level of detail I offer so I wanted to delve into the election too, even if we all knew Lincoln was winning.

Loved this alternate election of 1864! The power of vote splitting can indeed be wonderful 😀

I got a particular amount of schadenfreude reading about the Chestnut infighting between some of the worst political actors from the most contentious elections of the period! Watching Johnson and Pendleton go down swinging at each other is quite satisfying.
Thank you very much! I detest Andrew Johnson so having him be humiliated was satisfying to write.

Lincolnsweep!
Hurrah!

The log with which Lincoln has struck down the Confederacy is now the broomhandle by which he sweeps away the foes arrayed against him on the ballot.
Oh, if only I could draw...

GOD BLESS FATHER ABRAHAM AND THE UNION!
God Bless!

Move over Jeb! it's LINCOLN SWEEP TIME! Glad to see the conservatives get whipped. And reading about the social transformation in the liberated lands warms my heart. It's almost an alien feeling to us in our atomized modern age, to read about communities pulling together so well in the chaos.
We won't see this kind of sweep until alt-Jeb comes into the picture! And yes, it is indeed hard to envision, but the Reconstruction era Black community had a level of mutual support and organization that's simply impressive. If it was at the end overcome by White violence it was certainly not their fault.

I am curious if the different nature of the war combined with the coup has made the soldiers of the Union army more radicalized overall? Because if that is the case that could have some hopefully positive improvements on Reconstruction and racial equality in the US of this timeline moving forward.
Some paragraphs towards the end describing the reasons of soldiers to vote for Lincoln are meant to show that they have, indeed, become radicalized and now conceive of the war as one of liberation, and of themselves as Liberators.

fighter the dead enders will make the Union soldiers bitter, and great chapter look forward to other amendments
Next time we'll see some proposed amendments to hopefully spark some discussion!

Excellent chapter.

One thing I would mention, since Lincoln won all the votes, he will need to make sure that one of his electors vote for someone else as it has been a long tradition in American politics that only Washington will win with an unanimous electoral vote.
I have something planned for that ;)

Great stuff, fabulous election coverage. The infighting between the three former National unionist teammates was great.

It's nice to see Lincoln get a sweep. Though some will argue Washington's sweep was better since Lincoln's was from a divided opposition, it is still an amazing feat nonetheless. He certainly deserves it.

The discussion of Education was what amazed me. I knew that it was very important to blacks growing up and I understood that this was because of the problems that they faced before, but I had never really considered just how important it was.

The presence of so many fatherless children because of all the deaths in the war will have an impact among those who survive, and it should make a dent in the expectation that people have to be married. There is some truth to the idea that a male figure is important as a role model because children do look up to men and very early decide, as the song Cats in the Cradle says, "I'm going to be like him." They can certainly still do so in a marriage that is much more equal, though.

It's great to see how so many people take in children during this time when families can't be located. Those role models are stepping forward. Hopefully, the increase insistence on women's rights will mean that there will be more progress more quickly toward more equal marriages.

After all, the way a man treats a woman is the way those children are going to grow up expecting that that's the way it is to be done. That's why our family here in Ohio and western Pennsylvania for a couple centuries has been much more equal in the way men treat women then Society of large, because the tradition started back in the early 1800s then we had women who would expect that the men would treat them with respect and dignity.

And, I imagine there are a lot of those kids who are going to look at Abraham Lincoln and want to be like him as well.

I suspect that the thing about teachers not using the derogatory n-word was only for those who were going to the South to educate them, if it even was something real in our timeline. But it is nice to see that if it wasn't in our timeline it is here. It's a start, at the very least. There are certainly been pockets of whites who would never use that word, at least, by the early 1900s.
Lincoln's sweep is in some senses the most impressive yet, because Washington and Monroe simply had no opposition.

Orphan children will simply be commonplace, part of the massive generational trauma this US faces. But, as a silver lining, by the 1870's the great majority of Black people were living in nuclear families with a mother and a father, so with time things will estabilize. Until then the children will have heroes like Union soldiers to look up to! And yes, those guidelines are meant to be applied only to Bureau teachers.

ITTTTS AAAA LINCOLNSWEEEEP
Hurrah!

I should note that it is the n-word that is followed by i not by e. Today there is no difference, both are used as a slur, but back then the second was considered acceptable. Perhaps you already know. I'm just wanted to note that this period it is actually relevant to say which n-word we mean.
To be clear, the term that was considered educated and was preferred by most Black leaders was "colored," though you're right that Negro was not seen as a slur but a normal term.

I was of course expecting Lincoln to trounce his opposition, but certainly not as thoroughly as he did here. Even with the likely vote rigging in Delaware and Kentucky, the National Unity Party and remnant Dems are perfunctory at best at this point. With Washingtonian levels of returns, the most immediate near future question for Americans is going to be: what will Lincoln do with that mandate after the war ends? It is very easy to imagine a scenario where, if he wanted to, Lincoln probably could leverage his dictatorial powers (something I say with no judgment and in moral neutrality) to simply hang onto power for the rest of his life. Again, as we've all discussed by now, he is bringing the country through a nigh apocalyptic event and out the other side from it. Perhaps the temptation to run for at least a third term might be there, to also win the peace from his perspective, but I suspect he'll defer. Even with everything going on his character firmly seems to be that he won't do it.

Glad we've also settled on titling it the Second American Revolution at last, because it very well is. A titanic expansion of the federal government, altering the definition of citizenship so that it's entirely possible for non-whites to achieve it even with baby steps, perhaps a somewhat earlier and more successful attempt from the feminist movement in the nation given the appalling casualties for things like women's suffrage (perhaps the late 1800s or early 1900s?) - it really is a shift that is hard to imagine. But the much bloodier, ferocious fighting and Lincoln's concentration of power does mean that, perhaps, the USA is 'just' another republic in the Western hemisphere now; in many ways, how the South finds its own story again will also be the story of the country in the aftermath of the war. Even though the old beliefs that the armed forces should not engage with politics is alive and well with many in the rank and file, who's to say this will hold true for the succeeding generations? Authoritarianism will always cut two ways. We cheer now because it's smiting some of the worst people the country's ever produced but it always make me leery when we consider how things are going to go moving forward.

Very heartening to see the former slaves reach with both hands to seek opportunities through learning, and though it was true OTL, I imagine they're probably even more confident here given that the Freedmen's Bureau is untouchable for the foreseeable future. To learn, uncensored, is now one of the most basic but significant revolutionary acts that they can undertake and especially so if that means that their children will have the tools not to be enslaved if somehow that were to happen again. This desire is also going to increase once it becomes apparent that black majorities mean that a more equitable franchise is necessary anyway, even if the fight for it will be hard. I'm sure moderates, or even just the extremely cynical, once they realize that Black Americans consistently sending Rs to Congress will be a boon for them will throw their weight behind the measure more than they are now.
Lincoln's character ensures that he won't countenance either dictatorship or perpetuity in power, but he'll probably remain a very important force in politics, the likes of which we haven't seen in American political history. Like, former Presidents like Jackson, Reagan or Obama have been influential, but I see something like Latin America where they basically become the Party and control its destiny for years to come. Lincoln will in this regard be completely able to influence nominations and future Republican administrations. And yes, this Revolution, like all Revolutions, opens new and worrying possibilities regarding the future, especially once the enemies of the government start being labor unions instead of slavers. Finally, you're right that an element of self-interest will probably motivate Republicans to embrace universal Black suffrage.

Another thing I just realized, that's a four-fifths majority in each house of Congress without the Republican dominated South of reconstruction.

With the opposition shattered, this might make the Republicans a little less likely to feel the need to ramp up the spoil system activities of patronage. After all, they can easily rest on their laurels after that huge of a blowout. Their main goal will be watching to make sure that the planter class doesn't rise, which means that they may be a little more willing to accept some level of civil service reform, even if it is very light.

So, this hugely blowout may be a better benefit for the country and keeping me spoil system from being a huge issue. Perhaps it'll just be labor that is the dividing line..
Lincoln did express a desire to reform the civil service after the war, so we may be getting that.

Hurrah for the Union! Hurrah for Lincoln and Liberty too! May he, like Sampson, slay the slavocrats and reprobate southrons with the jawbone of Toombs!

Lincoln and Liberty intensifies!

He rests easy now for his dream has been achieved:
My favorite version of the song.

Looking at Washington and Monroe victories of 1792 and 1820. They essentially run unopposed but Lincoln ran against three other guys and still won all the states in this TTL. That's literally a feat that could never likely ever be repeated and especially in modern times.

Lincoln's legacy in this TTL is going to be huge shadow for his future successors. I can only imagine what his tomb or grave site and the funeral itself look like. I do hope the future holidays to celebrate him and his achievements are days off in this TTL.
Yeah, we'll likely never see such a blowout ever again. Lincoln's already towering presence in the American consciousness will be even greater ITTL.

Lincoln was quite adamant about wanting a quiet peaceful resting place for his grave, which he got. IDK if that will be possible in an ATL where he lives to a ripe old age. The Lincoln Memorial may still be built, but probably something more like unto a standing (with him buried there) as that enjoyed in the USSR by Lenin's Tomb.

I wonder what Mary Todd Lincoln's status will be in the history books ITTL? The same? With excoriation to start, with later rehabilitation once forensic historians figured out her problems were caused by undiagnosed brain cancer?

Can anyone imagine in TTL some crook doing to Lincoln what was done IOTL to Grant? :eek: Frankly, I can't.🤔 Who'd dare? Even IOTL, Grant's thief didn't get away with it!
Mary Todd's mental health is bound to be much better given that Willie never died and Lincoln is not going to die either. May not be one of the most well-loved First Ladies, but surely will get a better reputation than her unreserved one as "that crazy woman that made Lincoln miserable."

Outstanding update as always!
Thank you very much!

Who were the running mates for the various candidates? Did I miss that somewhere? Good stuff as always!
They're named in chapter 51. Aside from Joseph Holt for Lincoln, we have former General William Franklin for Johnson, former General Francis Preston Blair Jr. for Tilden, and Horatio Seymour for Pendleton.

I'm sort of surprised that you don't have the Butterflies allow for Nevada elector A. S. Peck to make it to Washington iTTL.
That, gentle reader, is because I had no idea he even existed! God, I'm just finding out about this. Let's just say he did make it here.

Speaking of Holt, I do hope we see more of him.
Eh, VPs are always rather unimportant.

Hello,

So, there is this perspective of how the US develops immediately after the conclusion of the Civil War (which seems to be far less civil on the Confederates' part at this point). Interesting overview.

So, is it early to speculate on those who will succeed Lincoln at the conclusion of his second term and so on? I would say that he will peacefully see the end of 1868 (I think he will continue to follow the precedent first set by Washington at the end of his second term. For all the changes that took place ITTL, the war would still take the same toll on him physically and mentally, therefore the idea of a third term becomes bothersome) and be at the inauguration of the new President. However, depending on what the author is planning for that point, it may be possible for another Confederate fanatic to try and assassinate him. Of course, since the first attempt, security must have improved (who would oversee that now?).
After all, it would only take a diehard who initially signed on at the beginning of the war to become an avid supporter of the junta that displaced the original government (former planter, overseer, or copperhead who became intolerably frustrated with the latter). The unfortunate notion is that the next would-be assassin will believe that he (or she?) has nothing left to lose.

Still, after the jumped-up politics and violence following the junta's takeover, I think the war needs to conclude quietly and proceed from there peacefully (more or less) because I think more tragedies are in store before the war's end and there needs to be some relief after that.
Lincoln is being protected by a special unit of the ITTL National Guard, which is a national gendarmerie force instead of OTL's State milita. I don't think I will have other assassination attempts on Lincoln's life, however. And this winter will see the greatest tragedies of the war.

I really do appreciate the logic you've used with the 1864 election.

Lincoln only does slightly better in the popular vote than OTL, which might surprise some people. I think given his more radical platform and the course of the war it makes sense that it averages out to better but only to a point. And yet it also only takes a few percentage points for him to win New Jersey and Delaware, and the opposition being split means a plurality win in Kentucky is more than possible.

In an earlier post it was noted that Republicans, due to the timing, made the supercharged 13th amendment a major electoral issue. It isn't ratified yet. Lincoln's victory here seals the deal, the 13th amendment is going to pass, and Republicans can only conclude that they were rewarded for it (or at least not punished).
Thanks, I'm glad someone notices. In many ways this only seems like a massive blowout compared with OTL, but optics are very important in politics. The different campaign, the centrality of the 13th amendment to the Republican platform, and the ultimate gains will mean that everyone will interpret this as an endorsement of the radical program. A victory by the skin of their teeth would make Republicans retreat to the center - this will result in them pushing forward, and that's very important. We must strike while the iron is hot, for retreat now could be fatal.

It's certainly better for the country that the Republicans are universally dominant over their opponents of the day here in 1864, but if long-term democratic governance is improved by fundamentally uncompetitive elections then that will be a world historic first. Unfortunately de facto single party government always brings bureaucratic corruption as a close follower, as internal advancement within the confines of either the internal party's system or the administrative government becomes the only viable for men of ambition to get ahead. This is both fundamentally undemocratic and bad for governance in the long run, not least because of the sort of unscrupulous ladder-climbing types it self-selects for.

What the country really needs is for Reconstruction to be put in place and completed, the old vestiges of the racist Democratic party to be purged and its political machine ripped out root and branch, and then for the good of the nation the Republican coalition needs to bifurcate between its moderate and radical wings on the basis of the new status quo, and true competitive two-party (or, one can dream, multi-party) democracy to re-emerge.
Some people have mentioned that, nationally, the Republican Party could become more like Mexico's PRI, but ultimately I don't think the Republicans can survive their internal divisions and will collapse eventually, and we shall get a new two-party system. Until then, they will still get opposition, just local instead of national. The advantageous result is that with this the old Democratic party has been swept away, meaning that conservatives will have no option but to ally with more moderate Republicans instead of becoming complete reactionaries, which should temper their excesses.

Yeah, there'll definitely be a short time of defacto one party system for Lincoln's second term and the first term of his successor at least for a coherent opposition party to develop from the ashes of the democratic party, splinter factions of the republican party, and new third parties. Even if the new opposition doesn't get the presidency they should be able to make an impact on congress and state governments
Exactly.

A bifurcating Republican party is a better option than people eventually turning to the Democrats just because they were the alternative, which is basically what happened OTL.
Yes, it at the very least results in the successor parties being ones that accept the new status quo, unlike the Democrats who never quite did.

We probably won't see that going away anywhere soon, sadly.

Agreed. A factor in the downfall of the Republican Party in the South was the depth of corruption and Black Republicans frustration with that corruption. With a Republican Party split on the issues of civil service reform, tariffs, and more economic matters rather than the issue of Reconstruction itself and there being no legitimate opposition (Democrats and the National Unionists have painted themselves as against the very issue the war is being fought over) are going to look different.

There’ll also be more room for fusionist parties like the Readjusters in Virginia across the South.
Populism and the division over the labor question will probably eventually result in a pro-business "True Republican" Party and a pro-labor "Labor Republican" Party that allies with Populists.

Plus, there were hell a lot of stuffs regarding Civil Service Reforms could have been done without touching Reconstruction - for example, cleaning up the Department of the Interior, or avoiding OTL ridiculous nepotism under Grant Presidency. Note that the majority of Orville Babcock’s corrupt acts were NOT related to Reconstruction.

Grant totally dragged his feet IOTL.
We certainly need better reform. The association many Northerners made between Reconstruction and Corruption contributed to its collapse.

In terms of something worth exploring ITTL from OTL USA that could better illustrate an alternative and more multi-party system, I would like to bring up Electoral Fusion which was a relatively common practice around the time of the US Civil War and its immediate aftermath into and post-Reconstruction and, especially in the context of the South ITTL, would present a very interesting alternate take after the white supremacists of the Southern Democrats largely crushed it and helped create federal laws and institutional inertia that prevented multi-party endorsements from ever rising again (it must also be said that Northern Republicans also hated the practice given it allowed a challenge to their power, so that would also have to be dealt with).

For those unfamiliar, fusion politics is basically just the practice where local branches of different parties would band together in a coalition and run or endorse joint candidates to avoid vote-splitting against a shared political foe. Nothing especially ground-breaking, but it was growing very strong with the rise of the Populist Party in American politics post Reconstruction, and more importantly it saw regional variations. In the West, the Populist parties tended to create Fusionist platforms with the Democratic Party, but in the post-Reconstruction South, the Fusionist movement was a mix of the Populists and the Republican parties as a way for poor or progressive Southern Whites to collaborate with Black Republicans without either side compromising the other against the stranglehold the planter class had and wanted to maintain over government via the southern Democratic Party. Remnants of it exist in New York's local political scene (see the Working Families Party or the Conservative Party of NY) and in things like Minnesota's Democratic Party officially being the Democratic Farmer Labor Party (as the FL party basically was so dominant over the local Democratic Party it was in fusion with that it basically just absorbed them), but the two dominant parties largely worked to make it as illegal as possible so as to consolidate their control of election funds and attention.

As stated, IOTL the practice mostly died, with a particularly notable example being the crushing of North Carolina's Fusionist coalition that wanted to stop a lot of Jim Crow laws meant to limit access to voting for both black and poor white voters.

One option for TTL could be where the seemingly dominating Republican party starts to factionalize and different sides end up creating Fusionist tickets with minor parties that form out of different interest groups on the regional, racial, socio-economic, or religious level, allowing those groups to gradually grow stronger until one or more of them reach a true status of import and become full-on opposition alternatives to the Republican party.

FPTP would still probably see national politics consolidate around two large parties (maybe two-and-a-half in the UK style) but electoral fusion politics lasting longer would allow for the proliferation of smaller regional parties that get a strong seat at the table instead of the OTL wings of the dominant two parties only in a way that is more based in existing US historical systems rather than a parliamentary or instant run-off style somehow taking hold.
Great to see someone bring this up, because fusion is indeed going to be very important for the politics of the Reconstruction era, mostly in the South and nationwide when the tide of populism hits.

This is the penultimate update - the next one is the final full update, and after that we just have an epilogue to make the transition to Reconstruction. As I have said previously, I will most likely create a new thread for Part II of the TL. Now, I suppose we're just all itching to get this over with and finally, finally deliver on a better Reconstruction as promised.
After a 5 years journey, it’s time for one chapter to end and for the next to begin. Frankly, I can't wait to see the evolution of politics in this different USA.

Thanks! Pendleton post-war career is kinda weird. He truly became something of a proto-populist by championing what he called the "Ohio Idea" of paying bonds in greenbacks, to the point that he was apparently willing to accept Black suffrage, which scared Eastern financiers like Tilden and led to his defeat in the 1868 DNC.
Wow, I never knew how strange Pendleton's post-war career was. All I remembered the Ohio idea and that in older AH, Pendleton is the guy who gives the Confederacy independence in a Lincoln loses TL.

Populism and the division over the labor question will probably eventually result in a pro-business "True Republican" Party and a pro-labor "Labor Republican" Party that allies with Populists.
Considering the monetary policy side of things, the early days of a new party could be quite strange. While it is well-known that the farmers wanted inflation and many financiers wanted deflation, businessmen were actually quite mixed: some (like iron) wanted inflation while others did not. Adding up civil service reform and labor rights, I imagine that the new party will need a while to coalesce into a proper party before they can win an election.

Maybe such a pro-business party could be called the “Liberal Party” if it ends up being the splinter from the “offficial” Republican Party, especially as that would be an allusion to the (OTL) Liberal Republicans and all that.

We won't see this kind of sweep until alt-Jeb comes into the picture!
I hope you'll make a post-script mentioning this alternate, (I assume) progressive Jeb Bush winning in TTL 21st century. But I feel like that will be come much later, and I can't wait to see what happens in between them.

And this winter will see the greatest tragedies of the war.
The tragic Southern Winter of 1864-1865, I'll assume. The planters sit all warm and full inside their cozy homes, while the common folk lay outside, in the cold and starving.