WI: German Empire sides with Entenate in WWI?

What if during WWI, instead of supporting Austria-Hungary, The Kaiser is sickend by the attack on Serbia, and defects to the Triple Entenate.

What would happen?

Im guessing most likely, WWI is just the Third Balkan War, with Germany gaining the German parts of A-H, and the rest going independent allied with Russia. Yugoslavia possibly formed, 1916 Olympics go off as Schduled, German Empire lasts into the 20's and later without a Kaiserreich win in a CP Victory Scenario.

then, France probally tries to backstab Germany sometime down the line.

Makes no sense. Germany encouraged Austria-Hungary to punish Serbia promptly for the assassination of Francis Ferdinand. Why should they turn on their only major ally?

Makes no sense. Germany encouraged Austria-Hungary to punish Serbia promptly for the assassination of Francis Ferdinand. Why should they turn on their only major ally?

Diffrent Kaiser Wilhelm II? in terms of personality, maybe Wilhelm dies young, is replaced, and the new Kaiser is disgusted at Austrian actions? and plus British, French and Russian allies are better then Austro-Hungary.

I thought about maybe writing a timelime about this idea through.

Germany was already in an alliance with Austria-Hungary. There's simply no way it would declare war on it. Even if, by ASB intervention, the Kaiser was displeased with the treatment of Serbia, Germany still wouldn't go to war with them. Maybe break off their alliance, but in that case, they'd stay neutral.

Diffrent Kaiser Wilhelm II? in terms of personality, maybe Wilhelm dies young, is replaced, and the new Kaiser is disgusted at Austrian actions? and plus British, French and Russian allies are better then Austro-Hungary.

Makes no sense whatsoever, if for no other reason than that France would never sign an alliance with Germany in this period.

Frans Ferdinand was a good friend of the Kaiser, its why he supported Austria's move to invade.

Germany was already in an alliance with Austria-Hungary. There's simply no way it would declare war on it. Even if, by ASB intervention, the Kaiser was displeased with the treatment of Serbia, Germany still wouldn't go to war with them. Maybe break off their alliance, but in that case, they'd stay neutral.

Makes no sense whatsoever, if for no other reason than that France would never sign an alliance with Germany in this period.

Frans Ferdinand was a good friend of the Kaiser, its why he supported Austria's move to invade.

I didn't nessacarily say it would be Realisitic.

And not even to achieve the fully united German nation????

Completely ASB. Plus diplomatically, it tarnishes Germany's reputation as a flip flopper, backstabbing their ally, invasion be damned. If you're going to do a timeline, I'd suggest one where things diverge earlier on, as Austria moves into an alliance with France after the Austro-Prussian War, while Russia moves towards Germany (or stays neutral)

Completely ASB. Plus diplomatically, it tarnishes Germany's reputation as a flip flopper, backstabbing their ally, invasion be damned. If you're going to do a timeline, I'd suggest one where things diverge earlier on, as Austria moves into an alliance with France after the Austro-Prussian War, while Russia moves towards Germany (or stays neutral)

I thought it would be more interesting in 1914 the split happening, but I see your point.

Through, I'd have to take butterflies into account. which means WWI might not even be possibly triggered at all

OS fan

Banned
A break between Germany and Austria would have to happen way earlier. The aftermath of 1866 would be the appropriate time. But Bismarck was wise enough not to let this happen.

ASB probably. Germany staying neutral is possible. Have some reason for Germany to not back up Austro-Hungary and you end up with at most a Russo-Austrian war or maybe just another Balkan War.

So let me see if I understand this.

A-H goes to German for support in dealing with Serbia and gets it, 'the blank check'.

Once war is clearly in the offering Kaiser Bill flip flops and says that A-H is in the wrong and Germany should go to war vs. them instead.

OK, well if Kaiser Bill telling Moltke to attack Russia only at the 11th hour nearly killed Moltke this should do it out right.

If Kaiser Bill were to do this I think there is an excellent chance that he is deposed and the Crown Prince takes the throne or at the least is proclaimed regent. There had been talk for years in the military to the effect that the Generals worried that Kaiser Bill would chicken out at the last moment. This would be the ultimate proof of that. I don't see the Army or Chancellor just tamely going along with such a sudden change of heart.

Michael

If the Kaiser were against Austria - Hungary going to war all he had to was associate himself with Lord Grey and his cousin Nicky to force mediation. Austria could not have gone to war without German support and the Serbs were already scared enough to make a lot of concessions.

Though the long term effects of this lack of support would be interesting.