WI: Disney’s “Mulan” (1998 version) was set in Ethiopia during the Italo-Abyssinian War?

With Disney’s live-action Mulan remake in the headlines I thought this might make an interesting discussion. It’s inspired by posts from a few months ago:
MuluDisney’s Mulan (1998 version) but reimagined in the context of the 1935 Italian invasion of Ethiopia.*

* - because in OTL, Emperor Haile Selassie I decreed that all families must provide 1 son to fight the Italians & there were reports of daughters going instead.
Mulu is a animated film from Disney taking place in the 1935 Italian invasion of Ethiopia. The film follows the exploits of the titular character who takes up military service to avoid her younger brother being conscripted into service with the Ethiopian Army. The film is one of the first to depict the Italian invasion of Ethiopia and received praise from film critics as a result. It also depicts how women in the military were viewed during the 1930s to 1940s.
Did Mulu wipe out most of the Italian army with an avalanche? Because that would have been cool.
Ahh,you can see what happens when you put some dynamite and some captured munitions into the Ethiopian Highlands that Mulu did. Hehehe.
So what if the basic plot of the 1998 animated film was instead transplanted to 1930s Kingdom of Ethiopia? Thus instead of Mulan being Disney’s 1st Asian Princess you get “Mulu” as Disney’s 1st Black Princess (this would predate by a over a decade OTL’s Tiana who became the 1st African-American Disney Princess in 2009). What might be some cultural knock-on effects from this?

Hilariously, whereas OTL Mulan cartoon came under fire from conservatives like Mike Pence when it first came out I can easily imagine ATL “Mulu” upsetting both Conservatives AND Leftists (conservatives would have the same complaints as OTL (plus possibly the addition of butthurt Neo-Nazis and Mussolini fanboys) while I can easily see leftists of various stripes accusing the ATL cartoon of “cultural appropriation” and/or “promoting racist & negative African stereotypes”).

How would the film be viewed in Italy? Even if (I assume) your average Italian citizen isn’t a supporter of fascism nowadays would there be any outraged if the Italians were portrayed in the same outward monstrously caricature fashion as the Huns were:

main.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg

Would the film spark any deep debate about the actions of Italian forces in the Italo-Abyssinian War & WW2? I think this hypothetical version of Mulan would be the 1st Disney animated film to deal with an Axis member country in prelude to WW2.

And how would the film be received in Ethiopia itself? How about Eritrea? Eritrea & Ethiopia did go to war with one another in spring of 1998.

Last edited:
Hilariously, whereas OTL Mulan cartoon came under fire from conservatives like Mike Pence when it first came out I can easily imagine ATL “Mulu” upsetting both Conservatives AND Leftists (conservatives would have the same complaints as OTL (plus possibly the addition of butthurt Neo-Nazis and Mussolini fanboys) while I can easily see leftists of various stripes accusing the ATL cartoon of “cultural appropriation” and/or “promoting racist & negative African stereotypes”).
I mean, the Lefitsm criticism regarding "cultural appropiation" would be one that'd come way later. I'm more inclined to think that, should Mulu's family be presented as a poor one in a village, that'd be accused of stereotyping, especially in light of the then-recent Ethiopian famine.

How would the film be viewed in Italy? Even if (I assume) your average Italian citizen isn’t a supporter of fascism nowadays would there be any outraged if the Italians were portrayed in the same outward monstrously caricature fashion as the Huns were:

main.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg
On the one hand, some would be pretty receptive to a depiction of Fascist Colonial troops as destructive monsters, since it would highlight how Italy wasn't completely innocent nor a complete joke in the war (one thing that both the Left and the Right would agree on, for differing reasons). On the other hand, the only movie that has been banned long-term in Italy was "The Lion of the Desert", which did present Italian colonial administration as brutal and bloodthristy... though in that case it doesn't help Gheddafi financed it as some sort of agiography of his granddad.

Overall, some would be pretty offended, but banning it is a bit of a stretch, I think, especially since it'd be pretty easy to put emphasis on the fact the invaders are Fascists, rather than Italians.

And how would the film be received in Ethiopia itself? How about Eritrea? Eritrea & Ethiopia did go to war with one another in spring of 1998.
I'm inclined to think the Eritrean expats would hate it: Eritreans see Ethiopians as worse than Italians, and in fact, they were more inclined to stay inside of Italy than join their supposed Ethiopian kin. A movie that depicts their (percieved, rose-tinted glasses and all) helpers as destructive basatrds and their most hated enemies as freedom fighters wouldn't sit well at all.

I mean, the Lefitsm criticism regarding "cultural appropiation" would be one that'd come way later. I'm more inclined to think that, should Mulu's family be presented as a poor one in a village, that'd be accused of stereotyping, especially in light of the then-recent Ethiopian famine.

On the one hand, some would be pretty receptive to a depiction of Fascist Colonial troops as destructive monsters, since it would highlight how Italy wasn't completely innocent nor a complete joke in the war (one thing that both the Left and the Right would agree on, for differing reasons). On the other hand, the only movie that has been banned long-term in Italy was "The Lion of the Desert", which did present Italian colonial administration as brutal and bloodthristy... though in that case it doesn't help Gheddafi financed it as some sort of agiography of his granddad.

Overall, some would be pretty offended, but banning it is a bit of a stretch, I think, especially since it'd be pretty easy to put emphasis on the fact the invaders are Fascists, rather than Italians.

I'm inclined to think the Eritrean expats would hate it: Eritreans see Ethiopians as worse than Italians, and in fact, they were more inclined to stay inside of Italy than join their supposed Ethiopian kin. A movie that depicts their (percieved, rose-tinted glasses and all) helpers as destructive basatrds and their most hated enemies as freedom fighters wouldn't sit well at all.
Not to mention the World War 2 generation is still alive...

Ficboy

Banned
The Italo-Abyssinian War outside of Italy, Ethiopia and the most hardcore history buffs is generally obscure to most audiences. Ancient China by contrast is more recognizable and familiar. I doubt Mulan or its alternate timeline equivalent would ever be set in Ethiopia much less the actual conflict.

The ending would an issue as Ethiopia historical lost the conflict
Though considering Disney isn't against messing with history, I don't think that would be much of an issue. Maybe they could have the film be about the liberation of Ethiopia instead?

accusing the ATL cartoon of “cultural appropriation”

Why would this be any more of an issue than OTL's Mulan? If anything, I would think it'd be the opposite, as the OTL movie is based on an existing Chinese legend, whereas this ATL movie would be a character invented from whole cloth and placed in a historical conflict.

would there be any outraged if the Italians were portrayed in the same outward monstrously caricature fashion as the Huns were:

This is actually a good point, and part of why I think the proposed movie would never be made. While grotesque caricatures of the peoples of Axis countries were common during WWII, by 1998 this would've been considered poor taste, despite the fascists being just about universally despised in the US. As @Admiral Bloonbeard said, the WWII generation is still alive. Huns, on the other hand, don't even exist as an ethnic group anymore.

Though considering Disney isn't against messing with history, I don't think that would be much of an issue. Maybe they could have the film be about the liberation of Ethiopia instead?
Who said it had to be the Second Italio-Ethiopian? Why not some sort of resistance during ww2 before

Why would this be any more of an issue than OTL's Mulan? If anything, I would think it'd be the opposite, as the OTL movie is based on an existing Chinese legend, whereas this ATL movie would be a character invented from whole cloth and placed in a historical conflict.
Nah, taking a Chinese folk story and putting it in black face would piss off Asian Americans (cultural appropriation) and Blacks ("are you implying africa has no tales worth adapting?").

Nah, taking a Chinese folk story and putting it in black face would piss off Asians (cultural appropriation) and Blacks ("are you implying africa has no tales worth adapting?").
Couldn't they just say it was based on the Mulan tale? Besides the only people, I would see complaining are over-sensitive twitter users.

Considering Mulan was rooted in Chinese mythology, I don’t think it would translate well. On the other hand, the Mulan movie of OTL was a combination of the original poem and a project called China Doll where an oppressed young Chinese girl meets a British Prince Charming and she finds happiness in the West with him. The China Doll idea was on development before it was suggested to make a movie about the original Chinese poem "The Song of Fa Mulan." So maybe a movie about that could work.

The question is how Disney would spin the story for maximum sellability. A version, where the Italians are depicted as inhuman monsters, wouldn't just fall short in Italy, but in Little Italy as well. I could therefore easily see Disney depicting the Italian invasion force in the stereotypical Hollywood manner as somewhat incompetent, but likable rogues, and for good measure incorporate a Captain Corelli's Mandolin style love story, historical accuracy be damned.

Couldn't they just say it was based on the Mulan tale? Besides the only people, I would see complaining are over-sensitive twitter users.

And Twitter, of course, wouldn't exist until several years later. Even Xanga, LiveJournal, and Friendster didn't exist yet.

The question is how Disney would spin the story for maximum sellability. A version, where the Italians are depicted as inhuman monsters, wouldn't just fall short in Italy, but in Little Italy as well. I could therefore easily see Disney depicting the Italian invasion force in the stereotypical Hollywood manner as somewhat incompetent, but likable rogues, and for good measure incorporate a Captain Corelli's Mandolin style love story, historical accuracy be damned.
That would pose the problem that such stereotype worked because they could put the Nazis in it. In a movie like Mulan, even if you moved it away from Ancient China, you need to have a scary, competent villain that's a very serious threath to the character's livehoods to igve actual stakes, and, since the other options are either not wise (yes, the good guys are black too, but presenting Eritrean askari as violent savages wouldn't still fly) or bend the historical accuracy too much (if you're going to have Nazi Germans, why not set in Greece, since the idea that the Italian occupation didn't suck and German occupation was horrible is deeply ingrained everywhere but maybe Greece itself?)

Though the last point makes me think that, if you really wanted to transpose the Mulan story to WW2 to whatever reason, the Greek area would be your best bet of all.

That would pose the problem that such stereotype worked because they could put the Nazis in it. In a movie like Mulan, even if you moved it away from Ancient China, you need to have a scary, competent villain that's a very serious threath to the character's livehoods to igve actual stakes, and, since the other options are either not wise (yes, the good guys are black too, but presenting Eritrean askari as violent savages wouldn't still fly) or bend the historical accuracy too much (if you're going to have Nazi Germans, why not set in Greece, since the idea that the Italian occupation didn't suck and German occupation was horrible is deeply ingrained everywhere but maybe Greece itself?)

Though the last point makes me think that, if you really wanted to transpose the Mulan story to WW2 to whatever reason, the Greek area would be your best bet of all.
Maybe the demonization is focused on the main villain only, with the other Italian characters or soldiers being portrayed with more nuance.

I remember suggesting a variant of Mulan set in France during either WW1 or the Franco Prussian War (or a fantasy variant of either) because the Germans were called "Huns." Another way could be to have it be set in Italy during WW1, with the "huns" being the Austrians, or possibly even the First Italo-Ethiopian War (Where the Ethiopians actually won, so history wouldn't have to be bent as much).

With Disney’s live-action Mulan remake in the headlines I thought this might make an interesting discussion. It’s inspired by posts from a few months ago:

So what if the basic plot of the 1998 animated film was instead transplanted to 1930s Kingdom of Ethiopia? Thus instead of Mulan being Disney’s 1st Asian Princess you get “Mulu” as Disney’s 1st Black Princess (this would predate by a over a decade OTL’s Tiana who became the 1st African-American Disney Princess in 2009). What might be some cultural knock-on effects from this?

main.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg

Would the film spark any deep debate about the actions of Italian forces in the Italo-Abyssinian War & WW2? I think this hypothetical version of Mulan would be the 1st Disney animated film to deal with an Axis member country in prelude to WW2.

I like it!!! It is brilliant Idea, however, It would be a lot better if it was set in the First Italo-Abyssinian war. A lot more 'ancient' and less likely to anger people

main.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg

Plus, the Italians 'Win' the the italo-Abyssinian war, and conquer all of ethiopia.