WI: Alawite Breakaway State in the Syrian Civil War

Status
Not open for further replies.
2018773040-300x0.gif

In the 2012-2013 period of the Syrian Civil War, media outlets speculated on the possible outcome of the conflict, especially since ISIS was not yet an apparent threat and the US was considering an intervention similar to that in Libya. In the midst of the chaos, Alawite minority groups in the Syrian coastal regions, purported to be Assad supporters, established defensive positions and prepared for the worst if Damascus and Aleppo were to fall to the Sunni-dominated opposition, and the prospect of a breakaway state was discussed in the international stage. Ultimately, however, the lack of a western airstrike campaign (they prefered to arm groups such as the FSA) and the ISIS uprising in the Jazira region flipped the whole board upside down as the pressure on Damascus was lessened, the anti-Assad groups started to fight one another, and the Rojava Kurds joined the fray in full force as a new player, thus effectively saving the Baathist regime.
But what if the early FSA rebels had somehow taken over Damascus and Aleppo (Romney defeats Obama and orders airstrikes?), forcing the Assad family to flee to the Latakia and Tartus governorates where they'd be able to mount a defense with the help of local Alawite groups and perhaps Russia and Iran? In the end, Syria is split between an Abkhazian-like unrecognized Alawite state in the coast and an FSA-dominated central government in the rest of the country that refuses to accept the former's de facto independence but is too weak to fully dispute it.
What sort of geopolitical situation would this create in the region? Most likely the Alawite Republic would be a Russian foothold and proxy base in the Mediterranean, fiercely disputing its sovereignty with Damascus and with territorial claims on Turkish-controlled Hatay, which has an Alawite minority. The Free Syrian Republic (?) would be a neutral regime inheriting previous Baathist disputes over the Golan Heights and Hatay, except now deprived of a coastline and with possible Kurdish and Druze minority unrest in its periphery, adding to its challenges. Both entities would be hostile to Israel. Any other thoughts? How would the refugee situation be handled?

Last edited:

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
In the same period Peter Galbraith speculated that the probable next genocide to occur would be of the Alawites

In the end, Syria is split between an Abkhazian-like unrecognized Alawite state in the coast and an FSA-dominated central government in the rest of the country that refuses to accept the former's de facto independence but is too weak to fully dispute it.
WI new Syria decides in the end to accept partition of the country, rather than a permanent "cold war" they can't afford? Especially as they probably need to deal with ISIS next. If neo-Syria becomes a formal ally of the US (and probably Iraq) in a war against ISIS, could that create pressure from the US to end hostilities with Israel?

Formally independence is unlikely since Arab nationalism serves as the justification for the rule of the Assad family. Likewise it’s better a rump state as opposed to unrecognized one. Iran would want to maintain a united Syria as connection to Lebanon and Mediterranean and Assad would want to maintain a connection with Iran. So that being said, the most likely scenario would be a rump de facto Alawite state waiting to retake the rest of Syria with allied support

Last edited:
But what if the early FSA rebels had somehow taken over Damascus and Aleppo (Romney defeats Obama and orders airstrikes?), forcing the Assad family to flee to the Latakia and Tartus governorates where they'd be able to mount a defense with the help of local Alawite groups and perhaps Russia and Iran? In the end, Syria is split between an Abkhazian-like unrecognized Alawite state in the coast and an FSA-dominated central government in the rest of the country that refuses to accept the former's de facto independence but is too weak to fully dispute it.

If the Free Syrian Army is too weak to militarily dispute the existence of this Alawite state, then this is basically this new government telling every other ethnic group. 'Go nuts. We can't stop you'. The Kurds will be asking for their own territory next, etc. I don't see how the FSA can maintain order without crumbling into pieces like it did in OTL.

And of course, there is ISIS. The dissolution of the government in Damascus would be like a buffet to ISIS in terms of territory and they could even potentially expand further than in OTL.

For the record, this was ISIS at it's maximum extent in OTL's May 2015.

1631494789911.png

In OTL, they had already gained control of the Deir-ez-Dor province, which is Syria's main oil-producing region, and that was with the Assad regime entrenched in Damascus. In this timeline, they probably could've swept over Aleppo.

The Free Syrian Republic (?) would be a neutral regime inheriting previous Baathist disputes over the Golan Heights and Hatay, except now deprived of a coastline and with possible Kurdish and Druze minority unrest in its periphery, adding to its challenges. Both entities would be hostile to Israel.

I was going to dispute this, but there is apparently at least one case of a Syrian rebel group switching sides to the Assad regime after finding out the Israelis were helping the rebels.

I don't think the Free Syrian Republic can afford to be neutral when it comes to the 21st Century Middle East. It has to pick a side eventually. Since the United States would likely condition foreign aid and diplomatic recognition on the FSR recognizing Israel, I cannot see the FSR maintaining a long-term friendly relationship.. I think it is likely for this new government to fall into the Russian sphere of influence, since Russia doesn't care about Israel as much as the US does. All Russia cares about is making sure it's ships don't have to go through Turkish waters to reach the Mediterranean.

Assuming the FSR lasts past 2011 (that is a big assumption), I think reunification with the Alawite state is inevitable, since it does not serve Russia's purposes to have it's largest Middle Eastern ally cut into pieces, especially with ISIS and Al-Qaeda breathing down everyone's necks.

Could this new state be an ally of Lebanon and dare i say it Israel?

The Ba'athist regime in Damascus has staked it's very legitimacy on it's hostile relationship with Israel. I don't see that changing just because the Assads moved to Latakia.

I was going to dispute this, but there is apparently at least one case of a Syrian rebel group switching sides to the Assad regime after finding out the Israelis were helping the rebels.
The anti-imperialist left writers who are published in The Grey Zone et al. are poor sources for attributing Israeli support for a faction, because they think Israel is behind everything.

And if I am going off on this, then this is current politics. The Syrian Civil War is still in progress.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
This is SO current politics that it needs a news ticker as a background noise.

Closed per posted policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.