Whats your crazies Hearts of Iron game ?

There is nothing like a Balkan CF to make a crazy game. Italy and Romania are particulary good to stir things up in that area. Italy also has a fair chance of conquering Greece through the sea before someone declares war on Italy because of that.

Or triggering a BCF during WWII :eek:. I've started what I thought it would be a standard British game (Managing to get Germany stuck in the Ardennes while I invade them from the sea, conquering them and turning against Japan). Instead, AI France elected the right in the 1938 elections and promptly chose to declare war on Germany. Fortunately I had chosen to upgrade my infantry during the Allied intervention in the SCW (ingrateful bastards, Republican Spain had a coup after the war and left the Allies) and had finished upgrading my air force, so I actually had something to fight.
So, while the French watch the German forces, and probably play poker or something with them, I go with my original plan and my numerically inferior forces invade Kiel and march across the coast to send the Kriegsmarine out of their ports and into the RN welcoming arms. Germany declares war on Denmark, so I retreat there, trying to narrow the front.
Looks like the recipe for a long sitzkrieg, right? Well, not quite. Romania joined the axis and the USSR declared war on Germany. Fast foward a month and we have the French army sitting in the Maginot line, the British still holding Denmark, while Hungary, Bulgaria, Greece and Portugal joined the Axis - and the Portuguese and Greek navies dared to attack my convoys. So I get the few forces I had in the Med and try to launch an amphibious assault on Greece while the Soviets are still struggling to penetrate the Romanian border. I simply don't have spare forces to conquer Portugal. I leave second rate fleets in the African coasts to attack their convoys and strategic bombers to destroy their industry. The bad news are that the French aren't happy with being at just with half of Europe - they declare war on the USSR as I land in Greece.
No point in holding into Denmark or Greece - I might be able to hold them against the Axis, but once the communist hordes reach central Europe, I won't be able to keep them. So I abandon Denmark and Greece. Italy will join the fun soon enough. The Soviets have declared war on Poland already. Intel reports indicate the USSR has around 130 divisions - Germany has 230 and also has quite a lot of allies. The USSR will defeat the Axis eventually, it seems it will take them a long time, though.

screenshot20120514at221.png

Using the Magatha Map mod. I created Vichy France, annexed the rest of France, and turned the French Republic itself into a puppet. I then divided up the annexed French territories into tiny puppet states, all of which are ruled by 'Social Liberal.' The game, as you may notice, is unable to manage the idea that if France became Germany's puppet it would actually leave the allies and perhaps stop fighting Germany.

Last edited:
I played this game once on a friend's computer, I chose Ireland and made it Fascist, and managed to invade and conquer the British, then hopped the Channell and invaded and puppetized France before Germany could, then I hopped the Med and took a slice of Northern Africa and Southern Spain, Germany defeated the USSR in 1945, while Japan invaded the US and Canada and took the western coast of both nations, including Alaska, then I Ireland, declared war on America, and took the eastern coast, and then backstabbed the Nazi's, and took control of all of Europe.

all of this happend meanwhile while a Ethiopian Empire gobbled up all of Eastern Africa.

It was a long time ago so I don't remember all the details but I somehow able to fight on both sides of WWII as Nationalist Spain. Started out on the Axis side, made peace with the Allies after I got a decision that changed my government a bit, was at peace from about 42-44, then I realized that the Soviet Union was kinda advancing fast, real fast. Not wanting to have a border with Communists. I declared war on Germany and ended up liberating Paris, wasn't part of the Allies officially so I had to do a little screwing around to give most of France back to France.

Just played a game as the Soviet Union where Alf Landon beat FDR in the 1936 Presidential election, causing the United States to randomly declare war on me after the Cold War apparently "goes hot"...in 1937.

This is with HOI III, and my World War II ended in the 1950s. :p

I love playing the Götterdämmerung part as Germany, mostly because it is pretty hilarious imagining I'm the Axis in Der Untergang. Anyways, what I did was pull troops out of Europe and into Germany to form a "Fortress Germania", around Germany and its 1939 borders+ the Vistula River. I pretty much waged a defensive war until 1946 when General Zhukov broke through the Vistula at Warsaw (My troops were outdated and running out of supplies). I pulled back my troops on the Eastern front to the Oder to compensate for the loss of Warsawin late 1946. Patton broke into my holdings in the Netherlands, and Monty in the Rhineland, so I pulled back to the east of the Rhine River. By early 1947, my troops were weakening, so I ordered a pullback of all troops into the Alps, Central Germany, Denmark/Norway, and the Berlin area to organize a last stand, and it took the allies 3 years to crack by defenses and take Berlin in 1950. My last capitols were Munich from 1950-1952, Copenhagen from 1952-1953, and Oslo from 1953-1956.

I was sneaky a couple of years back and used the "freedom" cheat to set my sliders to fascist playing as Canada, cancelled my non agression pact with USA and, after building up my forces, began the Canadian invasion of the United States.

Most US forces seemed to be located in the Pacific, most likely the Phillipines, with only three or four divisions on the mainland. A month after declaring war, Canadian forces had seized territory as far south as Redding, Denver and Baltimore. I was overstreched by that point, and after a third failed attempt to take Washington DC with the 1st Canadian armoured division, US forces began a counter attack and started to drive my troops back. 3 or 4 months later, American tanks rolled over the border and took Ottawa after a two week seige, and Canada was annexed soon after. That was a fun game.

Last edited:
This is with HOI III, and my World War II ended in the 1950s. :p

I love playing the Götterdämmerung part as Germany, mostly because it is pretty hilarious imagining I'm the Axis in Der Untergang. Anyways, what I did was pull troops out of Europe and into Germany to form a "Fortress Germania", around Germany and its 1939 borders+ the Vistula River. I pretty much waged a defensive war until 1946 when General Zhukov broke through the Vistula at Warsaw (My troops were outdated and running out of supplies). I pulled back my troops on the Eastern front to the Oder to compensate for the loss of Warsawin late 1946. Patton broke into my holdings in the Netherlands, and Monty in the Rhineland, so I pulled back to the east of the Rhine River. By early 1947, my troops were weakening, so I ordered a pullback of all troops into the Alps, Central Germany, Denmark/Norway, and the Berlin area to organize a last stand, and it took the allies 3 years to crack by defenses and take Berlin in 1950. My last capitols were Munich from 1950-1952, Copenhagen from 1952-1953, and Oslo from 1953-1956.
Hmm, maybe i'll give that a shot someday. Or maybe as Japan. :)

Currently playing as Sweden in the Arsenal of Democracy 1936 scenario.

I began by invading Norway in mid-1936 with my 4 divisions, and proceeded to annex them. This caused the British and French, who had guaranteed Norway's independence, declaring war on me. Fortunately, they were distracted by Germany's declaration of war against the Allies about a week later. France manages to take all of Italy by early 1937, while Germany does nothing, and I manage to get a white peace with the Allies.

Shit goes pear-shaped in March of '37, when the Soviet Union DOWs Germany. This causes Poland, Austria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, and Turkey to join the Axis. Meanwhile, I successfully influence Finland and Denmark enough to get them to join an alliance with me.

The Soviets spend 3 years engaging in trench warfare on the eastern front before finally breaking through in fall of 1940 and taking all of continental Europe except for Spain, Scandinavia, southern Italy, and the area around Normandy. Fortunately, Denmark managed to save a good bit of northern Germany from communism by launching an invasion (with my support) after it became clear that the Germans were hosed.

By 1941, all of eastern and central Europe, as well as mainland France, are communist. Free France controls French Africa, Indochina, and southern Italy. The US launches an invasion of Far East Siberia in 1942, which promptly results in the Soviets attacking Japan. Initially, they perform quite poorly, with Japan managing to take Vladivostok, before they get pushed off of mainland Asia in 1946.

It is currently 1948. The US holds a small portion of Kamchatka and Far East Siberia, while the Soviet Union and Mongolia have split Manchuria between themselves. Nationalist China holds slightly more territory than OTL. I am currently working on building up my naval forces to hopefully invade the UK by the late 50s'.

I was playing a '36 Italy campaign featuring a shockingly passive Britain and France. Everything went out of whack when the Czechoslovaks decided to fight instead of give up the Sudetenland. They were crushed, of course. But when Germany invaded Poland, Britain and France still did nothing!

Meanwhile, I am independently invading countries and not getting any reaction from the Allies. I ultimately conquered Ethiopia, Albania, Greece, Republican Spain, Yugoslavia, and Turkey, all without international opposition.

I joined the Axis, and I invaded the Soviet Union from my bases in eastern Turkey. I blitzed through a fairly poorly defended Central Asia, and meanwhile another army group captured Stalingrad from the east.

And still the Allies are sitting around doing nothing. I stopped playing that campaign once I had gotten pretty far into Siberia.

There was that time where as Germany I successfully landed in England, conquering all but one territory, before turning on the Soviets and gutting them.

Then there was that time as the United States when I watched in horror as Japan conquered China and Germany just completely steam rolled the Soviets. I was RPing so I didn't intervene immediately, but when the Japanese finally attacked I launched an immediate D-Day situation to try and help the Soviets. I made it all the way into Berlin, but...I should have surrounded the thing, cutting off supplies. The Germans rolled me out and pushed me out of the sea....I then comforted myself by nuking Berlin in 1944, and doing steady nuking runs into Germany over the next year or so before they finally Sealioned Britain. I pulled all the way back to America, got my navy destroyed by the Japanese and just turtled down. Good times.

My weirdest game was without a doubt as South Africa with a '36 start. I decided to intervene in the Spanish Civil War and together the Allies curbstombed the Nationalists. Republican Spain became a member of the Allies. In 1939 WW2 erupted, by that time Japan did DESTROY China and created a Nationalist China puppet. In by the end of 1943 Europe was under Nazi control, Operation Barbarossa did start yet, Burma and Bengal was under Japanese control, the Dutch East Indies were annexed by Japan, leading to them having a foothold in the Caribbean. In Summer 1944 the Soviets still were at peace with the Axis, all of India was under Japanese occupation, as was Australia. Portugal joined the Axis.

I then abandoned the game, since that was too much Axis-wank than I could've handled.

My Strangest game was about a year ago; i was playing 1936 as Austria. From there i improved relations with Germany and upgraded my infantry to 1936. Now this is where it gets good. I declare war on Hungary knowing full well Italy has a guarantee on them; they declared war on me and Germany declared war on Italy. so i took out Hungary no problem, and Germany took out Italy by themselves. Now since i completely bordered Italy, Germany took all their land for me. after that i declared on Yugoslavia annexed them by mid 1936, built like 5 transports and without the Italian navy intervening i landed 3 waves of troops in Libya then proceeded to take Somalia wondering where the Italian navy was. anyways no navy came and i annex them at the end of 1936 and released Libya and Somalia as puppets; now this is where it gets really strange, a string of events that lead to my downfall. So its like February 1937, all is quiet until the soviets declare war on Germany. now the thing is Poland is still alive so the reds have no way getting to Germany right? wrong! Poland allies Germany! but i'm not worried because soon Bulgaria,Romania,Greece,turkey,Finland and Albania joins the axis like within 2 months. so Poland is slowly being eaten away by the soviets but Germany is coming in with their trusty Panzer Is turkey lost a province then made peace just to declare war again 3 months later, the tides are turning in our favor until the allies declare war on us, now Germany has to fight a two front war even the low countries joined in. so that lasted about a year Germany slowly losing the eastern front but my and Germany's forces repelling the french and low countries; Then a coup happens to Germany! UK some how was able to launch a successful coup! some Kaiser Wilhelm took over and they were democratic leaving me to be the axis leader and that's where i stopped playing XD