What if the Polish occupation zone in West Germany remained and was established as an independent polish republic in the heartland of Germany?

The Polish occupation zone in Germany was a military occupation area, under the administration of the Polish government-in-exile, located within the British Occupation Zone of the Allied-occupied Germany, that existed from 19 May 1945 to 10 September 1948. It was established from the territory of the British-controlled occupied Nazi Germany, following its surrender ending the World War II, and existed until 10 September 1948, when the administration of the area was given back to the United Kingdom. The zone was created for the Polish displaced people, consisting of those freed from German labour camps, and concentration camps, and the prisoners of war.In 1945, it was inhabited by over 30,000 Polish civilians and around 18,000 soldiers, and had an area of 6,470 km2, being located within the area of modern districts of County of Bentheim, Cloppenburg, Emsland, and Osnabrück, within Lower Saxony, Germany. During the next months, a Polish town with a Polish mayor, a Polish school, a folk high school, a Polish fire brigade and a Polish rectory were established. The latter registered 289 weddings and 101 funerals. 479 Poles have birth certificates showing Maczków as a place of birth. As there were hundreds of thousands of Poles in the area administered by the 1st Armoured Division, "Maczków" also served as a cultural centre: newspapers were being published there on a daily basis (Dziennik and Defilada eventually reaching 90 thousand copies), a theatre was opened (led by Leon Schiller) and concert halls were active. seat was located in the town of Haren, then renamed to Maczków.

Irl it was shortly thereafter disestablished in the year 1948 and most of the polish inhabitants returned to communist Poland. But what if that was not the case? What if the allies decided on turning the occupation zone into a Polish Republic serving as a home for Polish WW2 refugees? What would the effects and implications of this be, on Germany itself, communist Poland, Europe and the cold war?

images.png

Last edited:
Wow I just went and read up to on this, interesting. I'd think that a free Poland state existing would make for a more vibrant post war world including throwing a spanner wrench in the creation of West Germany. But there's a good chance the French would be more than happy to keep a continued thorn in either Germany's side. I'd think that the USSR would be less than thrilled with a counterpoint to the east block Poland. I wish I had more to contribute but that's my limited take on it.

End of Cold War and afterwards is going to be intresting. Would mainland Poland even be willingful to keep that Rheinish(?) Poland when and if government-in-exile can return to home? Or is that even possible to keep the place?

It would be one of those countries that exists for a short while before popping out of existence. I'm pesimisstic about it's odds, probably 6 months.

To start with, there is the issue that there are still Germans living within that zone; and they would not be happy with it becoming separate from Germany.

The zone existed at the behest of the British. It would take quite some time for it to operate near autonomously. So in the meanwhile, it's just a sink for resources.

Stalin would be furious. It's existence undermines the legitimacy of his actions to create a Polish state under communism. He put a spin on this and dress up his opposition to the state under the guise of being concerned about Germany's territorial integrity. The Soviets would say since the state runs counter to the Potsdam Agreement, it would need approval of the Allied Control Council. Stalin would proudly annouce the Soviets not only didn't agree to it, but still oppose carving out a piece of Germany like this. These actions would improve Stalin's popularity amongst Germans in the Polish country, the Western part of Germany, and his own zone.

He can re run the Berlin Blockade. He knows the Allies can supply the city; he just wants to be thorn in their side. His only demand is to abolish the Polish state. Whereas it was justifiable to run airlifts to keep Western troops in Berlin, there are few reasons to do so in order to keep the Polish state in Germany in existence.

Truman faced with the amount of resources taken to both prop up the state and supply Berlin because of Soviet objections, along with German opposition to and German public opinion drifting towards Stalin; Truman pulls the plug on it after a few months. The British aren't in a position to disagree. So the state is dissolved and incorporated as part of West Germany .

Last edited:
I think the area on the map is unfeasible but the idea of a Polish safe haven is not so unlikely. something like the "Free city of Krakow" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_City_of_Cracow but in this case guaranteed by Britain, France and the USA. Maybe based around Osnabruck. It would be "Polish" but "not Polish" - think Danzig between the wars.

Would need Communist Poland to be openly hostile to exiles much earlier which in turn would require a much clumsier and more heavy handed approach from Stalin (basically the 1948 purges kick in in 1945 and elections are ignored).

If it di happen it would be in the context of a much "hotter" Cold War. Would also mean my uncle would probably never meet his English wife.

I think the area on the map is unfeasible but the idea of a Polish safe haven is not so unlikely. something like the "Free city of Krakow" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_City_of_Cracow but in this case guaranteed by Britain, France and the USA. Maybe based around Osnabruck. It would be "Polish" but "not Polish" - think Danzig between the wars.

Would need Communist Poland to be openly hostile to exiles much earlier which in turn would require a much clumsier and more heavy handed approach from Stalin (basically the 1948 purges kick in in 1945 and elections are ignored).

If it di happen it would be in the context of a much "hotter" Cold War. Would also mean my uncle would probably never meet his English wife.
imo some coastal town would be better

It would be one of those countries that exists for a short while before popping out of existence. I'm pesimisstic about it's odds, probably 6 months.

To start with, there is the issue that there are still Germans living within that zone; and they would not be happy with it becoming separate from Germany.

The zone existed at the behest of the British. It would take quite some time for it to operate near autonomously. So in the meanwhile, it's just a sink for resources.

Stalin would be furious. It's existence undermines the legitimacy of his actions to create a Polish state under communism. He put a spin on this and dress up his opposition to the state under the guise of being concerned about Germany's territorial integrity. The Soviets would say since the state runs counter to the Potsdam Agreement, it would need approval of the Allied Control Council. Stalin would proudly annouce the Soviets not only didn't agree to it, but still oppose carving out a piece of Germany like this. These actions would improve Stalin's popularity amongst Germans in the Polish country, the Western part of Germany, and his own zone.

He can re run the Berlin Blockade. He knows the Allies can supply the city; he just wants to be thorn in their side. His only demand is to abolish the Polish state. Whereas it was justifiable to run airlifts to keep Western troops in Berlin, there are few reasons to do so in order to keep the Polish state in Germany in existence.

Truman faced with the amount of resources taken to both prop up the state and supply Berlin because of Soviet objections, along with German opposition to and German public opinion drifting towards Stalin; Truman pulls the plug on it after a few months. The British aren't in a position to disagree. So the state is dissolved and incorporated as part of West Germany .
I think it's actually much more possible for the allies to do this than you think, the anti-german sentiment from WW2 was so large and widespread they would establish a polish state in the heartland of Germany just out of pure hatred and spite, but i agree on your point about the USSR, having two Polands completely destroys what communist Poland is all about: the only state for polish people