What alternate history ideas you wish they were used more often?

To be honest, I would like some topics to receive additional cultural coverage. At the same time, however, I will note that sometimes I notice that the authors are sometimes inclined to transfer certain provisions of our days to the realities of yesterday.

Although, to be honest, here you can read more about ancient Chinese or ancient Indian than about Soviet.

To be honest, I would like some topics to receive additional cultural coverage. At the same time, however, I will note that sometimes I notice that the authors are sometimes inclined to transfer certain provisions of our days to the realities of yesterday.

Although, to be honest, here you can read more about ancient Chinese or ancient Indian than about Soviet.
Not just cultural, for example I find the fact that modern points of view are projected backwards very annoying. I think of the idea that all people were obsessed with making money, will prioritize that ahead of every other issue. And of course everyone is really just pretending to believe in cultural or religious values and will be happy to give them up if only someone bothers to explain to them why they are wrong.

5 Japanese alternate history scenarios that would be cool to see written out:

1. The Heike wins the Genpei War
2. Emperor Go-Daigo’s Kenmu Restoration isn’t cut short and is successful.
3. Muromachi shogun Ashikaga Yoshimasa never has a son, thus butterflying away the Onin War.
4. Takeda Shingen lives to defeat Oda Nobunaga on the battlefield, preventing the Oda or the Tokugawa or anyone connected to them from uniting the country.
5. Hitotsubashi Yoshinobu becomes the 14th Edo shogun in 1858, giving him time to reform the bakufu before all the events that severely weakened it.

Not just cultural, for example I find the fact that modern points of view are projected backwards very annoying. I think of the idea that all people were obsessed with making money, will prioritize that ahead of every other issue. And of course everyone is really just pretending to believe in cultural or religious values and will be happy to give them up if only someone bothers to explain to them why they are wrong.
The latter is funny - after the experience of verbal battles, I can say that this kind of conversation rarely convinces anyone, and that a person usually holds tightly to prejudices and beliefs, especially if they are important to them.

The latter is funny - after the experience of verbal battles, I can say that this kind of conversation rarely convinces anyone, and that a person usually holds tightly to prejudices and beliefs, especially if they are important to them.
Seriously. Even actual facts won't convince some people to change their beliefs.

Besides, it is a deeply insulting assumption because it is basically like saying that all the people in those societies are lying hypocrites who pretend to believe in cultural and social structures that actually no one cares about.

If these kind of structures are maintained it is because they are important to people, not because "actually we all secretly hate this but no one dares to be the first to raise their voice to protest and question."

I haven't seen many TLs where post-revolutionary Russia manages to avoid falling to Bolshevism and survives a transition to a liberal, democratic state.
A victory for the White forces in the civil war timeline would be nice to read, particularly since the civil war ends after WW1 in the west- what does the new Russian Empire look like? Do the various component parts hold together? What reforms and changes will be enacted to ensure the Revolution does not happen again? Who is in Charge? Republic or Monarchy? How does it effect the rest of Europe and Asia?

A victory for the White forces in the civil war timeline would be nice to read, particularly since the civil war ends after WW1 in the west- what does the new Russian Empire look like? Do the various component parts hold together? What reforms and changes will be enacted to ensure the Revolution does not happen again? Who is in Charge? Republic or Monarchy? How does it effect the rest of Europe and Asia?
Russia will be a military dictatorship, torn apart by the intrigue of all sorts of officer brats and in conflict with various separatist formations (ranging from parliamentary but corrupt ones to the same dictatorships). Provided you figure out how they can win.

Europe gets colonized by non-Europeans.

I'm picturing Mansa Musa directing his glorious wealth less toward seeking political prestige on his Hajj, and more directing it toward acquiring a Mediterranean foothold. Mali had shipbuilding, enough to tell stories of the huge Malian fleet of MM's predecessor disappearing off westward across the Atlantic.

While the Moors hold Iberia, picture Mali roughing up Malta, Sicily and Rome. Do the Malians in Italy take up Catholicism for political gain? Do they bring it home? Does Constantinople become the new heart of Christianity?

But more importantly, what becomes of a mulatto Italy and its place in Europe? What does Europe's relationship with Africa become with European wealth and slaves being shipped south?

I remember a (future) alt history book or something like that about African colonization of Europe (and a 'new' Annibal or something?), thinking on it maybe it entered in the territory of racism (?)

I'm picturing Mansa Musa directing his glorious wealth less toward seeking political prestige on his Hajj, and more directing it toward acquiring a Mediterranean foothold. Mali had shipbuilding, enough to tell stories of the huge Malian fleet of MM's predecessor disappearing off westward across the Atlantic.
@Xel
What does Europe's relationship with Africa become with European wealth and slaves being shipped south?
There's a series about that I've seen a while back

https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/noughts-crosses-trailer-peacock-1234582169/

Didnt get to watch it but seems to fit with what you describe

There's a series about that I've seen a while back

https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/noughts-crosses-trailer-peacock-1234582169/

Didnt get to watch it but seems to fit with what you describe
Interesting premise, even if the level of alternate in the history seems high, on a quick scan. But I’ll look deeper.
- - -
EDIT: watched the trailer, read a bit. Adapted from a YA novel series, focused on a repressed teen love story. So, not leaping toward the top of my watch list.

Last edited:
Was reading about Easter Island yesterday.
Peruvian slavers ('pirates' I guess?) raided the island before it was part of Chile (at least in a de-facto way) to sale house servants in continental America. Technically one could have a Peruvian Easter Island. Wouldn't last much probably in case of a Peruvian-Chilean war tho.
Just a mini-idea + I have nowhere better to comment it.

Edit: And I mean Peruvian-Peruvian raids, because it was post-fall of the Spanish colonial empire in América.

Last edited:
Christianity is popular and become the state religion in Japan
1706795963027.png

Even know it was a brief time of Japanese history, there was actual chance that Japan would become Christian in the 17th century before the Tokugawa shogun destroyed any trace of Christendom in the Land of the rising Sun.

There was an actual timeline discussing it but it isn't active anymore but it's still interesting idea in my opinion

Also my back baby

Last edited:
Christianity is popular and become the state religion in Japan.

Even know it was a brief time of Japanese history, there was actual chance that Japan would become Christian in the 17th century before the Tokugawa shogun destroyed any trace of Christendom in the Land of the rising Sun.

There was an actual timeline discussing it but it isn't active anymore but it's still interesting idea in my opinion
I had one bit in a TL were 'Nestorian' Christianity was introduced in Japan by the Mongols, which is at least an early introduction of Christianity there (tho not exactly meaning a majority-Christian Japan).
(have yet to reach that point again, too busy with other things to continue tho)

Apparently the Christians were very excited about the prospect of spreading the faith in Japan but I only read that from second-hand.
Got this images a couple of days ago by the way:

Francisco (Amakusa Shirou) led the Christian peasant rebellion at 17, circa. 1637-1638.
His head ended up in a pike apparently.

You can still read "Praise be the holiest sacrament" in old Portuguese into this banners of Japanese Christians by the way.