Washington killed at Brandywine

In honor of Independence Day, a what if about the Revolution.

During the battle of Brandywine on September 11, 1777, a British captain was said to have a clear shot at George Washington. He declined to take it as was par for British conduct at the time, such an act would be ungentlemanly.

What if this said captain had thrown aside courtesy for results and taken the shot and killed Washington? Would this have resulted in the destruction of the US Army? Who would the new commander-in-chief be?

Horatio Gates would seems the most likely candidite since this wouldn't butterfly away Saratoga. Could also see Arnold rise from this too if and when Gates blunders away his new title.

Lothaw,

While Washington could have been killed in combat any number of times starting with the French & Indian War - among other things he was with Braddock during that particular fiasco - I'd just like to point out that the claims by Patrick Ferguson and/or others that he had a bead on Washington at Brandywine and refused to shoot is pure bullfeces.

Ferguson was shot in the arm early in the morning of the battle a few miles west of Chad's Ford as Knyphausen's column forced it's way through Colonial pickets at Welch's Tavern and Kennett House.

Washington's headquarters were at Ring House, a few miles east of the same ford. He didn't leave that position until the afternoon when he accompanied Greene's division north to Meeting House Hill where Cornwallis' column was attacking.

Ferguson and Washington were never within miles of each other during the Brandywine battle.

Bill

No doubt. He could've easily been killed at Trenton, Monmoth or any other number of battles. He did tend to put himself in harm's way.

The what if I'm getting at is if he dies at Brandywine, Gates seems his likely successor. Either him or Lee, which would be an equal disaster I think.

Really looking for people's opinions on if the Revolution can succede without Washington.