Wars that could have happened, but didn't.

Dissolving of Swedish - Norwegian Personal Union turns into war with Denmark allied to Norway 1905.

Danish - Norwegian War of 1932 following Norwegian occupation of Southeast Greenland.

The Soviet Union and Japan could have gotten to war as early as 1932. I always wonder what the ramifications and consequences of that. Like does Manchuria and Korea becoming communist, does Japan fully defend themselves from the soviets?

The Soviet Union and Japan could have gotten to war as early as 1932. I always wonder what the ramifications and consequences of that. Like does Manchuria and Korea becoming communist, does Japan fully defend themselves from the soviets?
Imo, such a war would probably be called the Second Russo-Japanese War.
It'd be very bitter, given Japan feared the Soviets (and communism) more than any other Great Power.

Apartheid not ending in 1994 leading to some sort of South African Bush war/civil war.

US/UK/France militarily intervening in Syria in 2013.

Russia mounting a full scale invasion of Ukraine in 2014.

The Dogger bank incident leading to something more than just angry letters

The US invading Iran at some point post 2003.

Has Anyone Heard of the Osprey incident ?
Well apparently Canada had The Alaskan Territory for Two years 1876 -1878 . What happened was that The army garrison at Sitka was sent to battle the Nez Peirce in Washington territory 1875 which the locals ( American's ) didn't like and feared that they would need protection from the Aleuts and other native tribes . They sent a petition to the nearest British garrison in Canada where the Osprey was nearby . The osprey came to Alaska and the US Navy and The department of interior had a row between them and sent missives to London to cease and desist . The British navy sent orders to the osprey and it left Alaskan shores once a US gun boat showed up with a marine detachment to patrol Alaskan territory. Alaska didn't get a government till 1884 . learnt all of this at the Sitka museum last year

Has Anyone Heard of the Osprey incident ?
Well apparently Canada had The Alaskan Territory for Two years 1876 -1878 . What happened was that The army garrison at Sitka was sent to battle the Nez Peirce in Washington territory 1875 which the locals ( American's ) didn't like and feared that they would need protection from the Aleuts and other native tribes . They sent a petition to the nearest British garrison in Canada where the Osprey was nearby . The osprey came to Alaska and the US Navy and The department of interior had a row between them and sent missives to London to cease and desist . The British navy sent orders to the osprey and it left Alaskan shores once a US gun boat showed up with a marine detachment to patrol Alaskan territory. Alaska didn't get a government till 1884 . learnt all of this at the Sitka museum last year
Must be obscure, cant find anything online. It seems similar to the Trent Affair. If 'war' DID happen, it would probably end after a few naval skirmishes in Alaska, with the Brits having to pay reparation's (unless it escalates even further, that's a story for later.)

Kissinger "suggested" that Franco's Spain should intervene military in the Portuguese revolution of 1974. Franco said no. What if he had said yes?...
US military advisors.
US troops.
US wish they hadn't got involved.
US evacuation by helicopter from the roof of the Madrid embassy
Kissinger tries to invade Sweden as a distraction...

More seriously, Franco wasn't a nice person, but he knew better than to get involved in other people's wars.

US military advisors.
US troops.
US wish they hadn't got involved.
US evacuation by helicopter from the roof of the Madrid embassy
Kissinger tries to invade Sweden as a distraction...

More seriously, Franco wasn't a nice person, but he knew better than to get involved in other people's wars.
Yeah. He'd allready dodged Hitler...

WWI starting over the Agadir Crisis
I just finished reading about the Agadir Crisis in "The Sleepwalkers" by Christopher Clark and my impression is that neither the German nor the French government actually wanted war. While the anti-German hawks in the French foreign ministry initiated the crisis, the French premier Caillaux soon instructed the German ambassador Cambon to seek a diplomatic solution, circumventing his cabinet. The Germans did send a warship to Morocco but they only planned a symbolic protest and the fact that the ship was underequipped reinforces the argument. The impression of an imminent war is more a result of sensational headlines from the nationalist press in both countries.

My top pick for said war that could have happened is the one over the Beagle Islands between Chile and Argentina. It was about to happen during Operation Soberania, but it was cancelled due to a combination of bad weather and the intervention of the pope. Had either of those things didn't happen (though I'm not sure how would the Argentine junta turn down the Papacy's offer), South America would have its share of a bloody conflict in the 20th century between two non-communist dictatorships that could have lasted at least several months, depending on how the US backs Santiago in spite of the ties between the countries plus that of Buenos Aires; not to mention possibly drawing in interest from the USSR and perhaps China given the Cold War setup.
If you want a wider war in South America in the mid-late 20th century then you also can include a Chile-Peru war. The Chilean Armed Forces in the late 1970s had anticipated a preemptive strike against Peru.

With Argentina and Chile, were there any other areas of conflict between them outside of Tierra del Fuego that could have accelerated into war?

Add Peru into the mix against Chile and it is just a matter of trying to create a some sort of WW1-esque out of control domino effect that brings in most of the other South American nations for a wider conflict.

With Argentina and Chile, were there any other areas of conflict between them outside of Tierra del Fuego that could have accelerated into war?

Add Peru into the mix against Chile and it is just a matter of trying to create a some sort of WW1-esque out of control domino effect that brings in most of the other South American nations for a wider conflict.
Create some extra tension during the South American Dreadnought race, and you get a pre-WW1 ironclad battleship fight.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
I just finished reading about the Agadir Crisis in "The Sleepwalkers" by Christopher Clark and my impression is that neither the German nor the French government actually wanted war. While the anti-German hawks in the French foreign ministry initiated the crisis, the French premier Caillaux soon instructed the German ambassador Cambon to seek a diplomatic solution, circumventing his cabinet. The Germans did send a warship to Morocco but they only planned a symbolic protest and the fact that the ship was underequipped reinforces the argument. The impression of an imminent war is more a result of sensational headlines from the nationalist press in both countries.

If you want a wider war in South America in the mid-late 20th century then you also can include a Chile-Peru war. The Chilean Armed Forces in the late 1970s had anticipated a preemptive strike against Peru.
I do love the story that, as the Panther was sent to Agadir on the basis of protecting German civilians, they had better get a civilian there pronto. Apparently the Panther's crew realised he was not a native on the beach as he had his hands in his pockets.

Grimbald

Monthly Donor
As I recall there was an "almost war" between Sweden and Russia early in WWI. A Russian admiral went rogue and tried to attack the Swedish fleet. He got called back just in time. Adding Sweden to the Central Powers would have changed a great deal.