Wars that could have had a second round

This post was inspired by my recent reading. In With Santa Anna in Texas, the Mexican officer laments that they had not acted wisely in their invasion plan, and the inevitable future invasion would be far bloodier. In Midnight War, the Czech Legion visits a fort that had been built in anticipation of a second Russo-Japanese war.

What other wars do you feel could begin again? Duration of time between the phases doesn't matter. Personally I think there are few wars that have been settled so decisively that they could not restart. I am especially curious what circumstances could bring America back into Viet Nam.

Korea is an obvious one.
But what about the Mexican American war? Could we have seen this second round start up durring the mess at the Boarder pre to the US entry into WW1?

Korea is an obvious one.
But what about the Mexican American war? Could we have seen this second round start up durring the mess at the Boarder pre to the US entry into WW1?
I think we could easily become involved with mexico on several occasions. There is a potential following the Civil war, and concurrently with WWI would have interesting effects in Europe. The US fighting a second, messy front would probably prevent us from getting involved in Russia's Civil war. If the US didn't have troops to spare, maybe they would have been integrated into the Allies armies, as the Allies had wanted. Conversely, maybe that second front increases the size of the war machine, and the Americans reconstitute the eastern front

2nd bay of pigs style invasion
Second Libyan Egypt war in 1980s
Second Iran Iraq war
2nd Bangladesh war , India invades it after a failed military coup
Second Peru Ecuador war
Second Turkish invasion of Cyprus during 80s Aegean Sea crisis

Garrison

Donor
Korea is an obvious one.
Someone on either side of the border takes the Zimmermann Telegram a bit too seriously perhaps?

I was not particularly thinking of the Telegram as much as I was thinking of the boarder raids and Poncho and his gang.

Pre-1900, there's the War of 1812. Back then, few (if any) would have predicted that this would be the last time the US and Britain had a go at each other.

But the one that immediately comes to mind is the Indonesian war of independence. The Dutch kept their enclave in West Papua for more than a decade after the recognition of Indonesia's independence. The Indonesians did invade in 1962 and both sides did shoot at each others but luckily it ended before it could snowball into a full-scale war. This could have turned ugly quickly and become the second war between Indonesia and the Netherlands in less than twenty years.

Maybe a Taiping 2 could be a thing if the first Republic of China took on a religious fervor against the Qing like it's antecessor

Of course I dont think it would be a christian rebellion by any means but Sun Yatsen himself was a christian so maybe that counts?

Korea is an obvious one.
Agreed. There have been 3-4 near misses that could have escalated.
The trouble a second Mexican-American war is constructing a scenario where Mexico could actually believe it might get a positive outcome. The imbalance between the countries is just too big by the 20th century. I don’t think limited US intervention into Mexico of the sort we saw IOTL really fits the idea of a second Mexican-American war.

Pre-1900, there's the War of 1812. Back then, few (if any) would have predicted that this would be the last time the US and Britain had a go at each other.

But the one that immediately comes to mind is the Indonesian war of independence. The Dutch kept their enclave in West Papua for more than a decade after the recognition of Indonesia's independence. The Indonesians did invade in 1962 and both sides did shoot at each others but luckily it ended before it could snowball into a full-scale war. This could have turned ugly quickly and become the second war between Indonesia and the Netherlands in less than twenty years.
Not sure how it would work though - after Indonesian independence the Netherlands lost most ability to deploy troops in the archipelago. A handful in Papua, sure, but the numbers deployed in the 40's? No way. So it wouldn't be much of a war.

I am not trusting that Hans Island treaty, eventually sailors on both sides will be longing for the free booze and restart the conflict. ;-)

2nd Emu war? ;-)

The Greek army marching to Constantinople in May 1923 likely doesn't count since technically the war was not over. But Pangalos having a rematch in 1926-27 with Italian and British support certainly does. You probably need things getting worse between Turkey and Britain over Mosul though.

Post that, hmm the Greeks try a rematch in Cyprus around 1978 with tensions running high and the Turkish air force mostly grounded from the American embargo? You likely need someone else instead of Karamanlis running the show in Greece.