Votes: 20 87.0%
  • Carter is still traded

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Carter isnt traded but Toronto doesnt return to the finals with him

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Carter stays and they build a team that returns to the finals/wins one

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
Canadian hip-hop legend Choclair wrote his famous (in Toronto, anyway) line "like Carter did to Philly..."

Except of course he was referencing Joe Carter's double home run to win the World Series.

So what if another Carter did it to another Philly?

Vince Carter, Air Canada, Toronto legend, was the biggest star in Ontario for a time. He was likely the most talented athlete to ever play in Toronto in his prime until Kawhi Leonard.

His mother's oldest child, and the first one is his family to go to university, it was incredibly important to him and his mother that he graduate from university.

He went to the NBA before graduating but completed his studies part time.

The graduation ceremony was the same day as game 7 of the NBA east semis in 2001. The Raptors were riding high as they had just beat the Knicks to win their first ever playoff series.

Carter was heavily criticized in the media for attending the ceremony (and flying back by charter jet to play in the game).

Truth is, he had a great game. It all came down to the buzzer...and, with the score 88-87 for Philly, Carter took a jumper from the corner at the buzzer...and rimmed out.

It was, unfortunately, the beginning of the end. The media narrative was that Vince didn't care about the team and didnt want to play.

He has, then and now, vehemently denied this. He signed a 6 year contract the season before and bought a house in Toronto in the off season.

Vince struggled with injuries for the next three seasons and (and the Raptors struggled as a result),and it became clear from the media narrative that Carter Had to Go. He was shopped around and in the end traded for nothing.

I think technically it was Alonzo Mourning and draft picks but Zo retired rather than report to Toronto.

I never bought the narrative that not going to graduation means he'd play better or have enough energy for that last shot. Rimmed out is rimmed out.

So let's assume everything is the same (and he was being honest about wanting to stay...for further evidence T-Mac states that Vince begged him to stay in Toronto and build a team together...although that's a different PoD).

So...

What's the result if Carter makes that shot? (To win 89-88 at the buzzer in Philly in game 7 of the NBA East Seminfinals in 2001)?

First question is do they beat the Bucks? I think yes. Iverson took Philly to the finals.

I'm less convinced about the Raptors ability to perform against the Lakers, but a finals run and making that shot should silence the critics, make Toronto more attractive, and the team should end up with a better start, or at least not unload their franchise player for nothing.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Against the second showtime Lakers the raptors have a massive mountain to climb and they might fell from it .. on the other hand that taste of glory could help Toronto to get their shit together,this is before the triple mania so they could run it out again
Yeah beating the Lakers isnt even an option in the poll. You reckon they take the Bucks, though?

Yeah beating the Lakers isnt even an option in the poll. You reckon they take the Bucks, though?
Before the Suns choked away their 2 game lead(yes I'm still salty), the Bucks post-Kareem were the league Joke, a red hot Raptors will eat venison before drowning at the lake

I think that Raptors would make the finals as the 76ers did in, as some of the referring decisions that happened in ECF Finals in OTL might still happen in this scenario as the league would want a Vince vs Kobe matchup. Though i dont think too much would change apart from that as injuries would still happen as in OTL and the Raptors front office would still make some questionable moves E.G. Passing on a future finals MVP to take Rafael Araujo might still lead Vince to request a trade as in OTL though what the package for him would be would depend on if he mailed the season in as in OTL

I think that the Raptors lose to the Bucks in the ECF. Then, the Bucks give the Lakers a six or seven game series (at least). The 2001 Lakers were overrated (by a lot of people online), and the Bucks played them tough that season.

I think that the Raptors lose to the Bucks in the ECF. Then, the Bucks give the Lakers a six or seven game series (at least). The 2001 Lakers were overrated (by a lot of people online), and the Bucks played them tough that season.
Strong disagree. The 2001 Lakers (by luck or talent) were probably the greatest postseason team of all time. To just dismiss a complete sweep up until Iverson went Super Saiyan in the Finals Game 1 is absurd. They swept the Kings and the Spurs to get there, neither team being chumps. They beat the Spurs (who had won the chip just two years prior and would win it again two years later) by 14, 7, 39, and 29 to advance to the Finals. How can a team be overrated if they literally smacked their opponents around like children before getting to the Finals?’

Bucks stood no chance. Neither did the Raptors but that’s a different story.

Strong disagree. The 2001 Lakers (by luck or talent) were probably the greatest postseason team of all time. To just dismiss a complete sweep up until Iverson went Super Saiyan in the Finals Game 1 is absurd. They swept the Kings and the Spurs to get there, neither team being chumps. They beat the Spurs (who had won the chip just two years prior and would win it again two years later) by 14, 7, 39, and 29 to advance to the Finals. How can a team be overrated if they literally smacked their opponents around like children before getting to the Finals?’

Bucks stood no chance. Neither did the Raptors but that’s a different story.

Oh, boy. To answer this, I have to go back to the 1990-91 season:

That year, NBC decided to purchase the contract to the NBA. The man behind that was Dick Ebersol, president of NBC Sports.

He wanted to buy the rights to the NBA for one man: Michael Jordan. He wanted to make it like a TV show, not a sport. MJ (and the Bulls) were the good guys, and every other team was the bad guy.

His first project: Getting Magic and Michael in the NBA Finals. It took work (like cheating Portland in 91. That's why they made it the next year), but their mission was accomplished. To make a long story short, NBC handed MJ and the Bulls six titles.

Now, we come to 1999, the lockout season. I believe that was a free season. MJ retired, and I believe that they didn't have a script that year. However, for the 1999-00 season, I believe that Ebersol brought back the script, and he replaced MJ as the good guy with Shaq, Kobe, and the Lakers.

They needed ref ball in 2000 and 2002 to get to the finals against the Blazers and Kings. Also, in 2001, they beat a Blazers team that was falling apart, a Kings team pre-Bibby (he made a big difference), and a banged-up Spurs team (who was without Derek Anderson, and who had a banged-up Admiral).

Also, the Bucks went 2-0 against the Lakers that year. To say that they stood no chance is crazy. They were also a victim of Ebersol's script (he probably wanted AI to be in the Finals to get the biggest stars against each other, and the two bigger cities) when they were ref-balled against the Sixers.

When ABC got the contract in 2002-03, Shaq and Kobe never won another title together.

They were also a victim of Ebersol's script (he probably wanted AI to be in the Finals to get the biggest stars against each other, and the two bigger cities) when they were ref-balled against the Sixers.
Helped his case that the Sixers had the "season of the year", with AI winning MVP, Mutombo winning DPOY (even if he only spent half the season with Philly), McKie winning Sixth Man, and Larry Brown winning Coach of the Year.
When ABC got the contract in 2002-03, Shaq and Kobe never won another title together.
Helped that Tim Duncan achieved apotheosis that year.

Oh, boy. To answer this, I have to go back to the 1990-91 season:

That year, NBC decided to purchase the contract to the NBA. The man behind that was Dick Ebersol, president of NBC Sports.

He wanted to buy the rights to the NBA for one man: Michael Jordan. He wanted to make it like a TV show, not a sport. MJ (and the Bulls) were the good guys, and every other team was the bad guy.

His first project: Getting Magic and Michael in the NBA Finals. It took work (like cheating Portland in 91. That's why they made it the next year), but their mission was accomplished. To make a long story short, NBC handed MJ and the Bulls six titles.

Now, we come to 1999, the lockout season. I believe that was a free season. MJ retired, and I believe that they didn't have a script that year. However, for the 1999-00 season, I believe that Ebersol brought back the script, and he replaced MJ as the good guy with Shaq, Kobe, and the Lakers.

They needed ref ball in 2000 and 2002 to get to the finals against the Blazers and Kings. Also, in 2001, they beat a Blazers team that was falling apart, a Kings team pre-Bibby (he made a big difference), and a banged-up Spurs team (who was without Derek Anderson, and who had a banged-up Admiral).

Also, the Bucks went 2-0 against the Lakers that year. To say that they stood no chance is crazy. They were also a victim of Ebersol's script (he probably wanted AI to be in the Finals to get the biggest stars against each other, and the two bigger cities) when they were ref-balled against the Sixers.

....although they both won titles separately...

And their first titles they won separately were fixed by the refs (Shaq and the 06 Heat, and the 09 Lakers, especially that series against Houston. The Rockets were cheated bad in that series).
Are there any titles that aren't fixed by the refs?