The History of America

COA_George_Washington.svg

43star.gif

Conquer or Die
Motto of the Life Guards Regiment

Watchdog of the Highlands
Nickname of the 2nd Light Dragoons Regiment

Excerpted from Life and Times of George Washington: The Father of America

As a teen Washington grew up idolizing his older brother, Lawrence. [POD 1] In fact, at one point, nineteen year old George almost traveled to Barbados with Lawrence. Lawrence was ill and it was believed that the weather would help his recovery. George was all set to travel with him, but, at the last minute George was injured riding his horse. While George would make a full recovery, he was unable to travel with Lawrence and their younger brother Samuel would travel with Lawrence instead. [1]

In 1759, the 27 year old George Washington married the beautiful, 21 year old, Hannah Fairfax. Washington had been introduced to Hannah when his older brother Lawrence married Hannah’s older sister Anne. Washington was a familiar sight at Belvoir, the Fairfax residence, as he would frequently visit with Lawrence. Soon George and Hannah were very close friends, Washington with his athletic good looks and Hannah with auburn hair [2]. Additionally, the Washington and Fairfax families were both planter families with many similar interests and moved in the same social circles. While Lawrence had died in 1752 and Anne had remarried, George and Hannah remained in contact throughout George’s time in the militia during the war.

Through the marriage, George became modestly wealthy. Hannah had inherited 1,100 acres from her late father and a number of slaves. George wisely managed these finances and managed to grow the value of the property through tobacco and other ventures. Further, when Anne Fairfax died in 1761 George inherited the title to Mount Vernon, his brother Lawrence’s old home. George had lived there since Lawrence died in 1752 and managed the property for Anne, but now it was his. Finally, in 1765, George was finally able convince the Governor of Virginia to honor the land grant promise made to Washington and his men during the French and Indian War.[3] As commander of the force, Washington was granted 23,200 acres.

Washington_1772.jpg

-Young George Washington

It wasn’t long before the marriage yielded children. The first child, George Lawrence Washington, was born in 1760 followed closely, by Mary Anne Washington born in 1762. The younger George, called Lawrence by his family, inherited his father’s physical prowess and was soon. In all the Washington’s would have 5 children, four of whom would live to adulthood.

As the Revolution was beginning, Washington was selected as a Virginian delegate to the Continental Congress. When he appeared he was dressed in a military uniform. He also traveled with his eldest son, George Lawrence. Washington was soon appointed Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army. When George was made General, one of the first things he did was make the sixteen-year-old, George Lawrence, a personal aid. George Lawrence would soon be present for many major meetings and planning sessions.

Indictment for Murder, December 23, 1774

It is charged here in the city of Philadelphia that on December 10, 1774 the accused, John Francis Smith, did commit the crime of Murder by striking the victim, Thomas Paine, to death with an iron rod.[4]

From the Library of Congress, dated October 21, 1777

Dear General Benedict Arnold,

It is with heartfelt thanks and gratitude that we hope this letter finds you well. Your victory at Saratoga [5] has saved the union and given hope to the men and women of the United States. Rest assured that your actions have not gone unnoted and the people firmly appreciate your service.

It is therefore right, that we restore to you what was denied to you earlier. We are proud, if belated, to restore your seniority over your compatriots. Further, because of your service we have seen fit to award you this letter, which should be considered an official letter of Thanks from Congress and the People of the United States of America. Finally, have no doubt that from now on the eyes of the nation will be upon you and no one will ever again doubt your commitment to our noble cause.

With Sincere Respect and Gratitude,
The Congress of the United States

Letter addressed to General Benedict Arnold in thanks for leading American forces at the Battle of Saratoga

Benedict_Arnold_1color.jpg

-Portrait of Benedict Arnold

Excerpted from The American War of Independence

Following the death of Gates and his victory at Saratoga, Arnold’s reputation grew and his popularity was only surpassed only by Washington. Some in Congress even suggested Arnold replace the flagging Washington, however he refused. Following the winter of 1777-1778, Arnold became head of the Northern Department, defending New England and New York from further invasion. Arnold even attempted to launch an invasion of Canada in late 1778, but was beaten back by the winter.

After the defeat of General Benjamin Lincoln at Charleston, the Congress voted to give command of the Southern Army to General Benedict Arnold. Rather than rush into South Carolina with untrained troops, however, Arnold elected to remain in North Carolina and train his troops. Notably, among these troops was General Washington’s eldest son, the twenty year old Captain George Lawrence Washington, who took up a position first as Arnold’s aid and then in the a rifle company, followed, finally, be joining the dragoons under William Washington (a distant relative).

Rather than face the enemy directly, Arnold engaged in series of smaller battles, followed by retreats. Despite these apparent “defeats,” Arnold kept the morale of his army high and the men were well cared for. Some victories did occur, however, and it was these victories (see Kings Mountain and Cowpens) not only kept the British reeling in the South, but helped spread Arnold’s reputation.

At the Battle of Guilford Court House, Arnold succeeded in “his most successful defeat to date.” Arnold’s forces, despite being forced to retreat badly mauled Cornwallis’s troops. More importantly, Arnold withdrew his forces in good order. Following the battle, Cornwallis elected to advance into Virginia, while Arnold decided to recapture the southern colonies. In fact, Arnold was so successful that he pinned the remaining British troops in Charleston until the war was over.

From the Library of Congress, dated June 15, 1781

Dear General Washington,

I write to you on this day sir, hoping that the courageous struggle in which we are engaged is going well for you. I can say with no hesitance that it is going well here, thanks in large part to the admirable efforts of your son. Major Washington continues to demonstrate a superior understanding in the arts of war and leadership. Why, in the short time I have known him he has become more than proficient at training, discipline, strategy, and tactics. I can only assume this from the time he has spent with you during the war.

More than that, however, I am amazed as the understanding he has when dealing with the men. From the moment he enters a room, it is clear who he is and what authority he has. His men not only respect him, but admire him for his leadership. Despite this, he remains humble and agreeable in the face of his superior officers. Never have I seen him use his name, nor yours, to achieve an unfair advantage on his fellows.

You can truly be proud of him and I foresee a great future for him in our new country. I will continue to do my best in the continuance of his training, development as a gentleman of honor, and to ensure that you see him again.

Your Eternal Servant and Friend,
General Benedict Arnold

Letter addressed to General George Washington regarding the performance of his son, George Lawrence Washington

[1] – George Washington never travels to Barbados and never develops Smallpox.
[2] – The only information I was able to find on Hannah Fairfax was here. So I have taken a bit of creative license on her looks
[3] – Slightly earlier than OTL
[4] – Paine is killed before Common Sense is turned over to be published.
[5] – Gates is killed early on October 7, during the Battle of Bemis Heights. Arnold learns of this and, technically without authority, assumes command and manages to win the battle and force the surrender of Burgoyne. Arnold is never wounded and, as a result, never assumes command of Philadelphia

First comment! Yay!

Benedict Arnold as hero? I like. :)

In a lot of the TLs I've where Arnold didn't switch sides, Canada inevitably falls to the Continental Army. From what I can see here, that didn't happen. That's good. <-- My Canadian self is speaking there ;)

*Munching popcorn and waits for next update*

Marc A

No Common Sense and Washington has a competent-looking son, thus we get King George I (and II) of America.

It will be interesting to see what sort of national government develops; given the circumstances, I don't think the British trick of muddling on without a written Constitution will do. And while state constitutions can be rewritten, only New York and the Carolinas permit or acknowledge noble titles...

A promising beginning :)

Well the existence of the "Life Guards Regiment" suggest that Washington finds a way, though it must have been a serious change of character for him to condone a hereditary monarchy, it really wasn't his style.
Also removing Thomas Paine won't remove the general anti-monarchical enlightenment sentiments he expressed. Other people were thinking the same thing, they just didn't do such a good job of writing it down.

Seeing as those were meant to be extracts from a book, if Washington had become King of America, there would undoubtedly have been a hint. But it is a possibility that America is still quite class-driven, and more modelled on a more contemporary Italian merchant-prince republic or the Commonwealth than the old Rome, or the democracy of Greece. And of course, there is a possibility we could see King Benedict I of America...

Well this looks intriguing.

my guess is that Washington dies during the Confederation era and Arnold is the one to establish the new order with a greater emphasis on military might. Possibly a coup d'teat with the blessing of the Federalists with George II on side to legitimize it to the masses?

not sure about a monarchy as cool as that would be. Perhaps a stronger executive with a longer term?

Benedict Arnold as hero? I like. :)

In a lot of the TLs I've where Arnold didn't switch sides, Canada inevitably falls to the Continental Army. From what I can see here, that didn't happen. That's good. <-- My Canadian self is speaking there ;)

*Munching popcorn and waits for next update*

Marc A

Thanks. I don't guarantee you will like what I have planned for Canada, but I hope you tune in to find out.

No Common Sense and Washington has a competent-looking son, thus we get King George I (and II) of America.

It will be interesting to see what sort of national government develops; given the circumstances, I don't think the British trick of muddling on without a written Constitution will do. And while state constitutions can be rewritten, only New York and the Carolinas permit or acknowledge noble titles...

A promising beginning

There will be a Constitution, what form it takes and when will be the subject of the next two updates. One of which I hope to have done by today.

Well the existence of the "Life Guards Regiment" suggest that Washington finds a way, though it must have been a serious change of character for him to condone a hereditary monarchy, it really wasn't his style.
Also removing Thomas Paine won't remove the general anti-monarchical enlightenment sentiments he expressed. Other people were thinking the same thing, they just didn't do such a good job of writing it down.

Wait and see.

Seeing as those were meant to be extracts from a book, if Washington had become King of America, there would undoubtedly have been a hint. But it is a possibility that America is still quite class-driven, and more modelled on a more contemporary Italian merchant-prince republic or the Commonwealth than the old Rome, or the democracy of Greece. And of course, there is a possibility we could see King Benedict I of America...

There is fiction in your truth and truth in your fiction.

Well this looks intriguing.

my guess is that Washington dies during the Confederation era and Arnold is the one to establish the new order with a greater emphasis on military might. Possibly a coup d'teat with the blessing of the Federalists with George II on side to legitimize it to the masses?

not sure about a monarchy as cool as that would be. Perhaps a stronger executive with a longer term?

See previous comment.

Forgive me, this is ridiculously long. I promise not all updates will be this huge.

George Lawrence Washington sat with his mother and younger siblings in the sitting room while the doctors were with his father. Everyone was quiet as they waited and waited. It seemed like an eternity that the doctors were in with him. Three days ago Lawrence, only strangers called him George, had received a letter at his home telling him that his father had fallen ill with Malaria [1]. He immediately left his home and his young wife, the former Martha Laurens, daughter of Henry Laurens and sister of his friend John Laurens [2] and traveled to Mount Vernon to be with his family.

The doctor came out a moment later with a concerned look on his face. “It’s not good. I’m afraid I have tried everything I could to break the fever. But nothing seems to work. It’s in God’s hands now.”

With that proclamation Lawrence’s mother and sisters began to weep. His younger brothers began to console the women, while Lawrence approached the doctor. “Are you sure Doctor? Is there not something, anything, else that you can do?”

The doctor just shook his head. “I’m sorry, sir, I’ve tried everything.” Lawrence nodded and moved aside, letting the doctor leave.

GENERAL WASHINGTON DEAD!

General George Washington, Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army and hero of the Revolution has died. The brave leader of men died on February 17 from Malaria. He was fifty-three years old. His funeral was attended by many leading men throughout the country.

-Excerpted from the Independent Chronicle Newspaper, Boston 1785

Excerpted from Birth of a Nation America: 1776 to 1815

Looking back, the Philadelphia Convention was doomed to begin with. The United States had been limping along under the Articles of Confederation since before the Treaty of Paris. While, it was able to settle the territorial disputes between the states and organize the Northwest Territory, the government under the Articles did little more. It failed to confront the British over their illegal occupation of forts in the west, negotiated a treaty with Spain that would have prohibited travel on the Mississippi for 30 years (never ratified), and even failed to confront the Barbary Pirates. The Congress could not raise funds, could not regulate commerce, and could not regulate trade. The Congress could not even raise a national army (presuming of course it found a way to fund it). In 1826, the situation boiled over with the outbreak of Shays’ Rebellion.[3]

What at first was an uprising of farmers in western Massachusetts, soon turned into a minor rebellion. The Rebellion was exacerbated by Congress’s inability to respond to the crisis until it was already out of control. It was only ended when Congress negotiated the funding of the New York and Connecticut militias to assist Massachusetts and defeat the rebels at the Battle of Boston.

Shays’ Rebellion finally forced the leaders of the country to face facts, the Articles weren’t working. With that in mind these leaders finally met in Philadelphia in the summer of 1787. However, from the serious problems began to show. A ground swell of opposition to any form centralization, lead Thomas Jefferson, George Mason, and George Clinton. Benedict Arnold, second only to George Washington in popularity, could not overcome this torrent of anti-federal authority. Washington’s son, George Lawrence Washington, attended and spoke effectively for a strong federal government and soon gained the respect of most people in the room. Not even he, though, could overcome the discord in the room. Finally, people like Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Adams, who would become heroes in their own right were, at this point, regional celebrities at best.

With all of this the Philadelphia Convention concocted a weak compromise to strengthen the Articles of Confederation. The Congress would remain untouched, but be granted additional powers, including the power to tax. An Executive Council, of three people appointed by Congress for two years, was created to carry out the laws. Finally, a life time judiciary was created. [4] It could be said this was an admirable attempt to solve the problems of the country and avoid a breakup of the states. Unfortunately these changes did not go far enough to resolve the problems facing the country. The states still had far too much power in relation to the Federal Government, the military was still composed mostly of militia, and the executive branch was unwieldy and beholden to the Congress.

The Western Rebellion, or Whiskey Rebellion as it’s also known, traces its roots to 1790 [5]. In that year, Congress finally passed an excise tax on whiskey in order to raise the revenues they desperately needed. Unfortunately, farmers in the western regions of Pennsylvania and Ohio territory use whiskey as a key part of their economy. Over the next four years, federal tax officials struggled to collect the tax from increasing obstinate and hostile farmers. What is more is that the executive council of Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, and George Clinton dithered and debated while the situation spun out of control.

The situation came to a head in 1794; the local tax magistrate, Malcolm Bush, ordered the appearance of twelve farmers to appear in court in Philadelphia for failure to pay the tax. He was delivering the writs with the aid of General Michael Neville. While most of the writs were delivered without a problem, shots were fired at the pair of men from a farm ten miles south of Pittsburgh. The magistrate was able to retreat back to Pittsburgh, while Neville returned to him home. Soon, however, the home was surrounded and shots were exchanged before the gunmen retired. The next day, however, the “rebels” reappeared and their number had grown to over 700 [6]. Neville, too, had re-enforcements though, in the number of 10 former US Army soldiers. After a series of tense negotiations, and the freeing of the women and children, shots were exchanged for over an hour. Finally, the leader of the rebels, Major James MacFarlane, himself a veteran of the war, attempted to call a cease fire. As he stepped out into the clear, however, he was shot and killed.

With the “murder” of MacFarlane, the riots turned into a rebellion spread like wildfire. Soon “moderates” in the group were being marginalized and radicals were assuming control. No one was more radical than David Bradford, who likened what was happening in Pennsylvania to the outbreak of the French Revolution and compared himself to Robespierre.

Bradford and his men seized control of the local towns and began intercepting the mail to discover those that opposed him. Those that did were cast out of the town and their property seized “in the name of the people.” On August 1st, Bradford and 7000 of his supporters met at Braddock’s Field and declared a Second Revolution. They marched on Pittsburgh and began rampaging and looting. When the fighting died, Bradford was in control of Pittsburgh, over one hundred people were killed, and hundreds more were under arrest awaiting trial for “crimes against the people”. It wouldn’t be long before these “criminals” were found guilty and executed via the guillotine.

Whiskey_Insurrection.JPG

-fighting in the streets of Pittsburgh

While all of this was happening, General James Wilkinson was beginning to spread discord in Kentucky. Wilkinson had previously pledged his allegiance to the Spanish King, though by 1788 that support seemed to have withered. Now, though, Spain had contacted Wilkinson about a renewed partnership. Wilkinson, seeing the chance for personal gain, readily accepted and began arming supporters and spreading propaganda against the Government. It was not long before armed bands were loose in the Kentucky countryside

File:James_Wilkinson.jpg

-Portrait of Wilkinson, done prior to his treason

Finally, when news of the rebellions reached Vermont, still not a part of the Union [7], radicals in Windsor (the capital at the time), took the opportunity to declare a new Vermont Republic and pronounce it was ending its application to join the United States.

The response in Philadelphia [8], was chaotic at best. The Congress and Executive Council had gone from minor discontent in western Pennsylvania to rebellions in three parts of the country in the span of a few weeks. They immediately began looking for a quick response, which they did by ordering the Pennsylvania militia to march on Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, when the militia arrived they were far outnumbered and several members of the militia abandoned their fellows and joined the rebellion. Then, the scared and outnumbered militiamen opened fire initiating a pitched battle that resulted in countless deaths. When the 1st Battle of Pittsburgh was concluded over three hundred were dead and furor against the heavy handed leaders in Philadelphia had reached new highs.

George Lawrence Washington, thirty four at outbreak of the Western Rebellion, had maintained contact with many of his friends and allies from the War of Independence. Chief among those allies was Benedict Arnold (commander and friend), Alexander Hamilton (his father’s aide and brilliant theorist), and John Laurens (his brother-in-law and friend). He had also remained involved with Virginia politics and a close friend of Governor Henry Lee (another leader from the War of Independence). When word of the rebellions reached him at Mount Vernon he was greatly distressed. A letter addressed to Hamilton relayed his feelings, “When I hear of this violence in Pennsylvania I find myself glad that my father did not live to see such dark days. For surely the state of our great country would break his heart.”

When word reached him that Congress had called forth a national army he immediately volunteered and was commissioned a colonel and named commander of the 1st Virginia Regiment. He soon learned that Arnold, Hamilton, and Laurens had accepted similar commissions at various ranks. Unfortunately, Josiah Harmar was named Commander-in-Chief, a task Harmar was not cut out for.

Regiments under the command of Arnold and Hamilton were soon marching into Vermont and occupying the towns. While they easily controlled the populated areas, they would continue to have trouble from marauders for two more years.

The Rebels in both Pennsylvania and Kentucky spent the winter months drilling and training, putting together a “citizen army.” Meanwhile, regiments under the command of Harmar were undergoing similar training outside of Philadelphia.

In the spring of 1795, Harmer dispatched a force of three regiments of infantry, under the command of General Arthur St. Clair to Pittsburgh with orders to capture the city and arrest the leaders of the rebellion. The force included the 1st Virginia Regiment under Washington.

When the Government forces arrived outside of Pittsburgh on April 5th, they were greeted with a city armed with cannon from Fort Fayette [9]. The ensuing 2nd Battle of Pittsburgh was another defeat for the Government as the cannon and number of rebels overwhelmed St. Clair and his forces. Fortunately, unlike 1st Pittsburgh, the Government forces were able to retreat in good order. Additionally, Washington gained notoriety when he and his regiment personally “lead” the fighting retreat by remaining in the rear. This heroism was in addition to Washington the men earlier in the Battle and preventing a route.

While Washington’s star was on the rise, the Congress and the Executive Committee were becoming more and more unpopular by the day. While outside of the west, the Rebels were viewed as traitors and criminals, the people were increasingly frustrated at the failure of the Government to respond. This frustration was further compounded by the continued economic and political problems that had plagued the country since its founding. Washington, in the eyes of these people, represented a return to the early days of Independence and reminded them of his father, whom he looked like.

Not all were fans of Washington, however. Those that still clung to the Articles of Confederation, especially those in the Executive Council, viewed Washington as tyrant in waiting. “Young Washington controls the hearts of the people and the military. We must do something before he decides to raise his own banner,” is an alleged quote from Patrick Henry during a ball in Philadelphia. To that end, the Congress decided to promote Washington and send him west to deal with Kentucky.

While the situation in Vermont was mostly dealt with and the “Committee for Liberty” (the name the rebels in Pennsylvania had begun calling themselves) was largely contained to the western portions of Pennsylvania, the situation in Kentucky was quickly unraveling. The rebels there had moved into the Northwest Territory and into Tennessee and, under orders from Wilkinson, had begun harassing the Native Americans along the frontier. This had led to a response from the tribes who were now attacking Americans at will. So far, the limited Government forces there had been largely ineffectual.

The Government was hoping Washington would fail in containing Wilkinson, thus tarnishing his record. Washington, for his part, accepted the appointment but was adamant of about receiving adequate support in the form of troops and cavalry. In the end, Washington received 2 regiments of infantry, 1 regiment of cavalry, and a company of riflemen. The Government had originally offered Washington three regiments of infantry and no riflemen. Washington was familiar with the situation in Kentucky and realized the rebels were fighting a campaign similar to what he and Arnold had done in the South during the War. As a result, he knew the riflemen would be much more valuable and so traded the infantry for the rifles. On May 23, 1795 Washington and his force set out to restore order in the west.

riflemanmap.jpg

-drawing of an American rifleman

With the ongoing problems more and more people were becoming upset with the current government and the Articles of Confederation. In Virginia, Henry Lee was increasingly popular in Virginia. The Laurens family in South Carolina and John Adams and his family in Massachusetts and New England were increasingly popular in their calls for a complete overhaul of the federal government. Hamilton, retired once again from the military, began writing the “Federalist Papers” with James Madison of Virginia. The Papers called for a strong federal government and reminded people that tyrants could be created by the abuses of liberty in the same way as the oppression of it. At the same time, the Executive Council was facing increasing difficulties and even their loyalists were beginning to question them.

The Government finally re-occupied Pittsburgh on August 1st, 1795 when a combined force of infantry, cavalry, and cannon marched on Pittsburgh. This force was under the command of General Anthony Wayne. The 3rd Battle of Pittsburgh was a hard fought battle on both sides, but in the end Wayne’s forces triumphed through a mix of hard training, skill, and discipline.

Bradford was captured, tried, convicted, and executed, as were a number of other leaders. The Congress, meanwhile, pardoned the lower level rebels and rioters who agreed to throw down their weapons and pledge allegiance to the Government. This action greatly lessened the tension, however a low level rebellion would continue for years and that region would give rise to many similar populist movements, not the least of which caused the American Civil War in 1864 [10].

As part of Washington’s orders, Congress commanded him to “deal with the Native Indians as he sees fit.” According to the Congressional notes, Congress had intended for Washington to engage and destroy the Native Americans. Fortunately for the Natives and the country and unfortunately for Congress, Washington did not “deal with the Natives” in that way. Washington had been greatly influenced by his father on the subject of the Native tribes. Both men considered Natives to be equal to white men, only their society was inferior. Washington also recognized the strategic situation. He could only fight one group at a time; if he engaged the Natives he would only strengthen Wilkinson. On the other hand, the Natives were large in number, skilled fighters, and had been largely confining their war to Wilkinson’s group. Washington, therefore, made it his mission to win over the Natives.

On July 8th, Washington and his officers met with Native leaders Little Turtle and Blue Jacket, along with their aids outside of Toledo near the Maumee River. Included in the Native party was a young Tecumseh, who would go on to be a Native leader in his own right. Among other things Washington brought food, blankets, medical supplies, and gun powder as gifts to the Natives. These gifts, along with Washington’s earnest way of talking won over the Natives. Little Turtle, in particular, was struck by Washington. Reportedly Washington gave Little Turtle a pair of pistols and said to use them on "the first man who ever comes to subjugate you." [11]

The next day Washington and the Natives signed the Treaty of Fallen Timbers. In the Treaty, Washington and the Natives agreed to work together to stop Wilkinson. Washington promised to help defend Native settlement and continue to provide supplies. The Natives agreed to stop their indiscriminate destruction of settlers’ property. Finally, Washington, privately, promised to work to ensure the Natives were not pushed out of their territory by settlers once the conflict was ended.

Little_Turtle.jpg

-Lithograph of Little Turtle

When word of the Treaty reached Philadelphia, some members of Congress were furious at the terms of the Treaty and accused Washington of a coup. Others recognized the situation and agreed to deal with it when the conflict was over. Still others, the growing number of “Federalists” applauded the Treaty.

The Natives were not the only local forces Washington recruited along the way. Several militia groups from Kentucky, Ohio, and the Tennessee Territory had joined up with Washington, swelling his numbers. Most important of these was a group from Tennessee men led by a lawyer by the name of Andrew Jackson.

Washington knew that he would not be able to win the conflict under the current rules. Wilkinson’s force seemed to strike at random and disappear before he could respond. As a result, Washington intended to change the rules. Natives, cavalry, and militia would spread out into the country side and attempt to engage Wilkinson. Meanwhile, Washington’s infantry would occupy the cities to deny Wilkinson any safe harbor. Washington himself, however, was not with the infantry; he decided to lead one of the cavalry troops himself.

This strategy, by and large, quickly proved effective and soon Wilkinson was on the run. The key battle occurred at early September in southern Kentucky at the Battle of Brown Banks (near todays Tecumseh [12]). There, a combination force of militia and Natives, under the command of Andrew Jackson engaged a group of Wilkinson troops, including Wilkinson himself. During the Battle, Jackson was nearly killed and only saved when Tecumseh, who was with the Natives, knocked Jackson to the ground. The Battle was won by Jackson and his men and gave chase to the rebels. When the rebels were faced with the Mississippi, Jackson thought he had them, until they got into boats and crossed the river into Spanish territory.

Jackson and Tecumseh gave chase across the river, but were engaged by Spanish troops working with the rebels. While Washington had long suspected the Spanish in aiding the rebellion (they had found Spanish gold, weapons, and supplies), he now had direct proof. He had larger problems, though; he needed to stamp this rebellion out.

Washington spent the winter in Kentucky, training with his men and receiving re-enforcements. Washington was finally able to force Wilkinson to stand and fight in southern Illinois at the Battle of Creek Bend on March 30th. Washington’s Native forces had located Wilkinson and began tracking him. Using this information, Washington was able to trap Wilkinson’s force between his forces, which he had split. At the Battle, Washington’s forces decimated Wilkinson’s force (he himself was killed during the battle).

Fallen_timbers.jpg

-Portrait of Battle of Creek Bend

Washington rose even higher in popularity with his victory over Wilkinson and securing the peace in the west. Some members of Congress, however, was extremely upset. Washington was a hero among the people and solidly in the “Federalist” camp. Samuel Adams, who had replaced Jefferson on the Executive Council, is reported as saying, “We sent him out there to die, not become a hero!”

Congress had becoming increasingly Federalist, but was still majority “Confederate.” They, therefore, conspired remove Washington before he could become even more popular and on April 1st they quietly ordered General Wayne to relieve Washington of his command and see him brought back to Philadelphia for a Court Martial. Ostensibly, he was charged with usurpation of authority by negotiating Fallen Timbers with the Natives. Privately, they were hoping to convict Washington before the mob learned of the charges.

Congress, however, was in for a surprise. General Wayne arrived in Washington’s camp and informed him of his orders. Wayne also informed Washington he wasn’t going to follow those orders. Washington, Wayne, Jackson, and Tecumseh decided quickly on how they would respond. Washington, would take Wayne and Jackson back to Philadelphia with him to deal with Congress while Tecumseh and the Natives protected the frontier from any Spanish incursions. As they got close they would send scouts into the city with news of what Congress had done.

The plan worked perfectly. By the time Washington’s army was within twenty miles of Philadelphia Congress was surrounded by angry mobs. In the chaos, many Confederate members of Congress tried to flee. Some succeeded in escaping, others were captured and detained, if they were lucky. Hamilton, Madison, and Laurens (all of whom were in Congress), meanwhile, proclaimed an end of the Articles of Confederation and the Confederate’s guilty of Treason.

Washington marched into Philadelphia at the head of an army. The remaining Congressional troops either surrendered or changed sides as Washington approached. The next day Washington and the other Federalists issued a declaration offering amnesty for all rebels and confederate members with the exception of a few people. Washington ordered those people not pardoned by captured for trial. Further, he invited the states to Philadelphia for a Convention to “decide the future of our country.”

On September 15, 1796 Washington gaveled to session the Philadelphia Convention.

[1] – Apparently a common thing for him and those in Virginia at the time. Source
[2] – She is referenced here at the bottom. I am guessing her age.
[3] – Wee bit worse than OTL
[4] – Similar to the New Jersey Plan
[5] – Delayed one year than OTL.
[6] – Larger in number
[7] – Never became a state in 1791 because of continued issues with the border
[8] – still the capital
[9] – Presuming, here, that the fort was armed with cannon.
[10] – Teaser :p
[11] – different circumstances and person than OTL
[12] – OTL Columbus

You got my hopes up there that Vermont would last as a free Republic. i'm surprised Ira Allen didn't try and call in British protection along with the declaration.

Since Vermont was not part of the Union, why send Arnold there when there was open rebellion further west?

Hmm, the foreign meddling in Wilkinson's rebellion and the executions under Bradford's regime will make a stronger government more appealing. This may be an opportunity for a monarch with Washington the Younger a national savior like his father before him to the masses.

I doubt he will withdraw from politics like his father. He could be quoted as saying that was his father's greatest error.

What exactly was the goal of Wilkinson?

I like. I really like.

:D

Thanks

You got my hopes up there that Vermont would last as a free Republic. i'm surprised Ira Allen didn't try and call in British protection along with the declaration.

Since Vermont was not part of the Union, why send Arnold there when there was open rebellion further west?

Hmm, the foreign meddling in Wilkinson's rebellion and the executions under Bradford's regime will make a stronger government more appealing. This may be an opportunity for a monarch with Washington the Younger a national savior like his father before him to the masses.

I doubt he will withdraw from politics like his father. He could be quoted as saying that was his father's greatest error.

What exactly was the goal of Wilkinson?

Vermont was a sticky situation. It was still part of the Union, but not a state yet (delays thanks to the AoC). Arnold was sent there because Congress didn't want a hero anywhere near the main fighting. They put him in Vermont to forget about him. This largely succeeded, Arnold spent all his time in Vermont on occupation duty and couldn't make any headlines. Needless to say, it galled him to no end.

On a side note, I really did think about an independent Vt, but I couldn't think of anyway to swing it.

Indeed, you will see a stronger gov emerge in the next update and George Lawrence will be at the helm. He is younger and so much more ambitious, one of my planned sections in the next update is the "other side" of the story of Washington.

Wilkinson was in it for himself. I may not have made that clear enough. Similar to OTL, he intended to leverage Spanish support to create an independent state in the west with him in charge.

Next up...the early years

Excerpted from The Autumn of 1796 by Sir Ian Crane

The Government under the Articles of Confederation had been defeated and its leaders imprisoned. Patrick Henry, George Clinton, and Samuel Adams, the members of Executive Council were in a Philadelphia jail, while Thomas Jefferson was allowed to quietly enter internal exile at Monticello. That did not mean everyone had the same vision for the future of the United States, however. Strong divisions still existed between north and south, east and west, large state and small state. Additionally, while the fighting had died down there was still a strong resentment towards Philadelphia among the western regions of Pennsylvania and Ohio and in Vermont where low level fighting was still occurring. Finally, a great many still considered the Natives to be savages in need of removal. At the same time, all but the most ardent Confederal was in agreement about the need for a different government.

Further compounding the challenge ahead were the other “two great challenges” of the day. Those were the status of the military and the status of slavery in America. Both would be addressed in different way, but face the same hurtles and challenges.

This was the situation George Lawrence Washington, Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, Benedict Arnold, John Adams, Henry Lee, and John Laurens found themselves in at the beginning of the Philadelphia Convention of 1796.

When the Convention began it was attended by more than just delegates from the fourteen states [1], but also Vermont and the Native tribes. Vermont was represented by a delegation led by Gideon Olin, while the Natives were represented by Little Turtle and Tecumseh.

The first act of the Convention was to close the proceedings to the public. The second act was naming Washington “Chairman and President of the Convention.” The third act of the Convention was to abolish the Articles of Confederation. After that, according to his own notes, Madison was given the floor by Washington and spoke at great length about the need for a strong government that was “free from the passions and prejudices of the mob.” With that the convention got under way and a number of proposals concerning everything from the form of government to the military were submitted.

Excerpted from A Lean and Hungry Man: The Untold and Politically Incorrect History of George Lawrence Washington and his Federalist Clique by Anthony Randal

From the very beginning Hamilton and his “Federalists” controlled the Philadelphia Convention of 1796. Despite tales of great sacrifice, honest debate, and compromise, the conclusion of that farce was decided from the very beginning. Liberty would be perverted and destroyed. The United States of America would be no more, left in its place would be the abomination known as the “Federal Kingdom of America.”

Washington, unlike the stories told about him today, was not the selfless and benevolent visionary that set America on a glorious path to greatness. The truth is far from it in fact. Washington was a power hungry, conniving, political animal who used his father’s memory to catapult himself into the most power office in the country.

Washington, unlike his father, was ambitious and used his birth, the military, and clever manipulation of the people, to overthrow the democratically elected Congress of the United States of America and replace it with his supporters. Today, populism and populists such as me are looked on as radicals and revolutionaries in the worst sense of the word. However, it was Washington’s own use of his popularity with the common people that ensured he would succeed in his nefarious goals.

Washington was a tyrant who only sought to use his position to advance his goals and the goals of his allies. Perhaps the best evidence of this comes from his own journal, “I shall do for my children what I am sure my father intended to do for my siblings and myself, give them a country they can be proud of.” On the surface that quote may appear selfless, but remember this. Washington would have to know that his journal would not remain private forever. He could not very well write what he meant to say, which is I will make sure my family runs this country. Going on, “We shall make that good and proper men run this country, thus ensuring that the tyranny of the mob shall never destroy it.” Here the meaning is clear, make sure his allies remain as an oligarchy upon the country and prevent the people from exercising their God given right to self-government.

Of his supporters, Hamilton was by far the worst. Hamilton, in his vanity, could not even hide his elitist, monarchal aims. From the very beginning he presented a plan for government that not even the other Federalists could get behind.

Excerpted from The Autumn of 1796 by Sir Ian Crane

Ultimately, Hamilton’s plan was a bridge too far for even Washington. Washington was painfully aware that this was probably the last chance to save America as a unified country. As such, Washington was open to compromise. Hamilton’s plan, though, would provide a basis and a guide for the finished product.

When all was said and done, the Committee for Style only slightly modified the New Jersey Compromise. There would remain three branches of government, an executive, legislative, and judicial. The executive would remain a hereditary position, but only a direct line would be tolerated. If the crown was to pass to anyone not outside of the immediate family or a direct descendent or American citizen, the Congress would vote a new monarch. The Congress could also impeach the monarch and move the crown to the heir if necessary. The executive would retain the veto and powers of appointment for officers, ambassadors, and ministers. However, “ministers of state” would have to be approved by the Senate and Congress could override the veto. Finally, the executive had the power to grant peerages and knighthoods, but peerages had to be approved by the Popular Assembly.

The legislature, still called Congress, would be divided into two houses. The first, the Popular Assembly, would have its seats apportioned based on the population of the states. Every three years every seat would be up for election. Additionally, all revenue bills would initiate with the Assembly. The second, and upper, house would be called the Senate. Rather than appoint the members for life, state legislatures named Senators for a period of six years. Every three years half the Senate would be up for appointment. Finally, the compromise removed the Congress’s ability to veto state legislation and severed Senators responsibility to the state legislatures.

The judicial power would reside in the Supreme Court, a body of judges appointed by the executive and approved by the Senate. These judges, soon called justices, would serve for life or on good behavior. Lower courts were left for the Congress to establish.

With the structure of the new government sorted out the Convention moved on to other issues. With regard to the military, a great debate raged over whether there should be a standing, professional force and who should have commander-in-chief powers. Ultimately, there was a compromise. The executive would have sole powers as commander-in-chief, but the Congress would declare war and the design of the military was left to legislation to decide.

The situation in Vermont was likewise settled relatively quickly. Washington intervened, along with Hamilton, and settled the border disputes Vermont was having with New York. With those disputes settled Vermont was offered statehood.

The Natives were another matter entirely. Washington had promised Little Turtle he would prevent settler encroachment. However, the Northwest Territory was vast and strategically important. Washington was also sensitive to the anti-Native voices demanding they be removed. In the end, the solution proved relatively simple. Natives would recognize the sovereignty of the Federal Government and be granted citizenship. They would sell a portion of their lands at a fair price and be relocated to a predefined territory. This territory would be organized internally by the tribes and be “held in trust” by the Federal Government, specifically the executive. This created a Native majority territory with defined borders. Federal Law would apply in the territory and the Natives would be eligible to join the military, whatever form it took. This model would prove so effective that it would be the foundation upon which future Native-majority territories would be organized.

That left slavery. Washington himself was in a difficult situation here. He owned hundreds of slaves, but his conscience was slowly beginning to view the practice as evil. The southern states, however, made it clear that they would not accept any ban on slavery. Additionally, slavery was a problem for purposes of both taxes and representation in the Assembly. Both pro- and anti-slave advocates held contrary views on the subject. Anti-slave delegates wanted slaves to count for taxes, but not representation. Pro-slave delegates wanted just the opposite. Finally, a compromise was struck where slaves would be counted as 3/5ths of a person for purposes of both taxes and representation. This was in addition to the banning of the importation of slaves.[2]

The final document also changed the name of the country from the United States of America to the Federal Kingdom of America.

When the Constitution was presented to the states there was a mix of adulation and horror. Still, Madison summed it up best when, in the Federalist Papers, he stated “we have given the American people both a Republic and a Monarchy.”

The Constitution went into effect upon the ninth states ratification. That came on November 7, 1797. On that day, the legislature of Connecticut ratified on Constitution, thus making it official. In the coming months the remaining states would also ratify the document.

On a cool morning on March 15, 1798, George Lawrence Washington was crowned “King of America, Defender of the Constitution, Protector of the Rights of Man” by John Adams, presumed candidate to be Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

Excerpted from Modern Writing Style Guide: History and Political Science

When dealing the founding fathers, they are to be referred to by their names, free from any titles or positions, until such time as they acquired those titles or positions.

[1] – the OTL 13 plus Kentucky
[2] – Different delegates means different compromise

Is this a good lost and wow or a bad lost and wow?
WOW as in. I am speechless at the awesomeness of this TL. This is now, without a doubt, a favorite.

Edit: seeing the opposing view of Washington's ascension as a power-hungry tyrant, as opposed to a populist-elected ruler, well, i think that was what impressed me the most.

WOW as in. I am speechless at the awesomeness of this TL. This is now, without a doubt, a favorite.

Edit: seeing the opposing view of Washington's ascension as a power-hungry tyrant, as opposed to a populist-elected ruler, well, i think that was what impressed me the most.

I have to agree, this is a favorite from the start! And like the above poster stated the contrary views was a great touch! I can just say I want another update.

:D