The official discussion thread: 1918 - The German Navy sorties one last time -V.IV-

More GIVE ME MORE!!!! Excelent timeline Eternity. Just dont go down the road of a english/German rapport in the future much more fun if they go to war again in say 21 years time.:D
Well on the bright side, the TL is written up until 1931 and all I need to do is add in my edits. That was one of the larger edits, so the rest should mostly be quicker - Change details or countries etc.

Not saying when or where the next war will be, or who it will involve, but I do have it planned out already..... ;)

EDIT: I'll also say that this will be a non-Nazi TL and a non-nuclear TL for as long as possible.

Last edited:
No comments about the peace treaty? Does everybody think it's ok then?

I was expecting to have a few dissenters at least..... :confused:

Adler

Banned
German South West Africa was the most German influenced colony. You can still find there many Germans. Likely they would try to get that back, too. Oh, I would think AL will vote for Germany. Should be a nice story element for future troubles with France.

BTW I would keep the Ostfriesland class as test beds and would scrap the Deutschland class. IMO there is no sense in keeping them.

Adler

No comments about the peace treaty? Does everybody think it's ok then?

I was expecting to have a few dissenters at least..... :confused:

Hi,

the last incarnation of your story is really good. I liked especially the outcome of the negotiations. Quite reasonable in my opinion.

In Alsace-Lorraine only a fair plebiscite could end the dispute. I think that the French were quite sure that they would win the plebiscite, otherwise they would not have agreed. And their chances are quite good.

On the colonies: I also think that the Germans would try to get South-West-Africa back as it was their only settler-colony. Failing that I think there would be some kind of bilateral agreement concerning the rights of the remaining german settlers. And I think there would be more emphasis on New-Guinea. Infact at some point the Australians feared a German invasion from there. England would face serious opposition by Australia if they wold give them back. I think it is therefore more likely that the Australians keep New-Guinea and the Germans would get back Samoa, Nauru and some other islands,. And maybe some of the japanese-occupied Pacific Islands. If Japan could keep Tsingtao they might accept. Japan would not risk to completely alienate the Germans who although weakend could be a valuable ally against their old enemy Russia. And with German interests north of the equator taken over by Japan there are no possible points of contention between Germany and Japan.

Another point: What are the borders of the Ottoman Empire? If they drive a hard bargain they might retain Syria, Palestine (withaout Sinai), the northern pats of Iraq, perhaps Jordan, central and south Iraq (maybe even Basra). On the other hand they would probably have to accept the loss Arabia which is a huge blow to their prestige. There might be gains in the Caucasus and Central Asia against Russia, but again they would to weak to occupy/integrate them.

Concerning the post war development: I don't think that the Germans and Austrian would occopy/colonice the former Russian area. After peace is signed there will be political upheavels. The lower classes and minorities will demand more rights (in Germany especially the end of the three-class-franchise in Prussia and the election of the chancellor by the Reichstag, in Austria essentially the same with more emphasis on minority rights and power distribution). I think these upheavels will be sucessfull, but maybe also bloody. Especially Austria is a big questionmark. But they showed a lot of resiliance in OTL, so with the added prestige of having won the war (depends on how good their propaganda is, but hey, they won against all enemies :D) they might pull it of. But essentially both will be paralyzed for some time and unable to hold their gains against Russia. One solution might be a relative quick set up of puppet states, with German and Austrian monarchs. Poland may get Galicia (I think Karl promised it in the war). And with more democratic governments in Germany and Austria (dependent on the outcome of the upheavals) there might be the possibility of some sort of economic alliance coupled with a miltary alliance.

Regards

Flo

Adler

Banned
I also think it would be more realistic, if Germany kept DSWA instead of DNG.

Also: The German Reichstag would get more power. That was clear. Even before the Kaiser dismissed every chancellor, who had lost the trust of the parliament. The same can be said for the Prussian election system. Universal suffrage would come soon, too.

As for the east: There I think German client states would be made. But concerning a red Russia, I don't think they would object being German client states. In the very contrast.

Austria Hungary had won the war. An immanent split would not happen. Unless a new Ausgleich failed. Cisleithania would then join Germany, while Transleithania might be dissolved.

Adler

Hi,

the last incarnation of your story is really good. I liked especially the outcome of the negotiations. Quite reasonable in my opinion.
Thanks :) This update is about correcting a few glaring errors (Like the peace negociations only being German!) along with a few other things.

In Alsace-Lorraine only a fair plebiscite could end the dispute. I think that the French were quite sure that they would win the plebiscite, otherwise they would not have agreed. And their chances are quite good.
From my research, it would depend on the area. Some areas were very pro-German, and some very pro-France.....

On the colonies: I also think that the Germans would try to get South-West-Africa back as it was their only settler-colony. Failing that I think there would be some kind of bilateral agreement concerning the rights of the remaining german settlers. And I think there would be more emphasis on New-Guinea. Infact at some point the Australians feared a German invasion from there. England would face serious opposition by Australia if they wold give them back. I think it is therefore more likely that the Australians keep New-Guinea and the Germans would get back Samoa, Nauru and some other islands,. And maybe some of the japanese-occupied Pacific Islands. If Japan could keep Tsingtao they might accept. Japan would not risk to completely alienate the Germans who although weakend could be a valuable ally against their old enemy Russia. And with German interests north of the equator taken over by Japan there are no possible points of contention between Germany and Japan.
Japan wanted the German Pacific colinies to allow expansion of her East Asian Co-operation Sphere (Or whatever it was called). While she may consider an alliance with Germany, she would still want the colonies. My train of thought on them was that, and also that Germany could have a more centered colonial area around Paupa New Guinea, thus reducing their overheads so to say.

Another point: What are the borders of the Ottoman Empire? If they drive a hard bargain they might retain Syria, Palestine (withaout Sinai), the northern pats of Iraq, perhaps Jordan, central and south Iraq (maybe even Basra). On the other hand they would probably have to accept the loss Arabia which is a huge blow to their prestige. There might be gains in the Caucasus and Central Asia against Russia, but again they would to weak to occupy/integrate them.
There will be a map in the month the peace-treaty is signed. Basically OTL March 1918 Ottoman Empire.

Concerning the post war development: I don't think that the Germans and Austrian would occopy/colonice the former Russian area. After peace is signed there will be political upheavels. The lower classes and minorities will demand more rights (in Germany especially the end of the three-class-franchise in Prussia and the election of the chancellor by the Reichstag, in Austria essentially the same with more emphasis on minority rights and power distribution). I think these upheavels will be sucessfull, but maybe also bloody. Especially Austria is a big questionmark. But they showed a lot of resiliance in OTL, so with the added prestige of having won the war (depends on how good their propaganda is, but hey, they won against all enemies :D) they might pull it of. But essentially both will be paralyzed for some time and unable to hold their gains against Russia. One solution might be a relative quick set up of puppet states, with German and Austrian monarchs. Poland may get Galicia (I think Karl promised it in the war). And with more democratic governments in Germany and Austria (dependent on the outcome of the upheavals) there might be the possibility of some sort of economic alliance coupled with a miltary alliance.

Regards

Flo
One of the big edits covers the Austro-Hungarian side of this. The German side will be as version 3 of the TL (Client states).

I also think it would be more realistic, if Germany kept DSWA instead of DNG.
South Africa did not want to give up that area, and Australia did not want to give up Paupa New Guinea. As GSWA was totally captured but GSEA survived, I decided that is all they could get in Africa, and that they got Guinea back as well (Works out better for later in the TL).

Also: The German Reichstag would get more power. That was clear. Even before the Kaiser dismissed every chancellor, who had lost the trust of the parliament. The same can be said for the Prussian election system. Universal suffrage would come soon, too.
True and correct.

As for the east: There I think German client states would be made. But concerning a red Russia, I don't think they would object being German client states. In the very contrast.

Austria Hungary had won the war. An immanent split would not happen. Unless a new Ausgleich failed. Cisleithania would then join Germany, while Transleithania might be dissolved.

Adler
Yup, as per the last version of the TL.

Not in 1918. The problems that they had in Jutland were corrected by 1918.
Not all of them..... Ammunition handling was corrected, I grant you that, but the origional inherent flaws in the design (Armour traded for speed) were still present.

Aye. There is a reason the sailors of the High Seas Fleet mutinied when ordered to fight the Royal Navy in the English Channel. They would have been massacred, and they knew it.
Yup. I may be writing a story based on that sortie at some point too.....

Got to go back to work now guys so will hopefully update again later :) Chow!

Not all of them..... Ammunition handling was corrected, I grant you that, but the origional inherent flaws in the design (Armour traded for speed) were still present.

That is not and was not a flaw. The problem with the exploding ships was predominately with ammunition handling.

Adler

I think i depends on where. Poland especially and the baltic states had some national self consciousness, and did not want to be part of the Rodina, red or white, and will probably act as you inidcate, but the Ukraine is a very different story. The peasantry identified themsleves as Orthodox first, and maybe Russki if they thought about it. There is no Ukraine at this time. The numbers of them who are going to be actively pro Red are going to exceed the Pro-Ukrainers or pro whites, basically because an pan national idealogy that promises land and bread has far more appeal than one that says lets all go back to work for the grand duke, or one that says let's all work for the Germans in our new country that you have never heard of. But the vast majority won't care, they have to get the crop in.

What they do care about is that little sister tatiana starved to death after the CP swept through and grabbed what was left of the food. Any "independant" government there that is pro CP is going to have to be propped up by a million german soldiers, or it will be gone in a week. And a White government allied to the same is going to lose a lot of credibilty. Foreign interventions in Russia during the revolution did the reds more good than helped the whites.

I don't see the Germans, facing an oncoming internal debt crisis that will not be as bad as OTL but pretty close, and a number of political issues, being willing or able to continue paying huge armies to prop up governments in areas that hate them.

From my research, it would depend on the area. Some areas were very pro-German, and some very pro-France.....

That why i think a partition of A-L is called for along these areas to finally put an end to this...right now would be the best chance.... And there will always be enough bad blood even without A-L to start the next war between France and Germany

Adler

Banned
As for the German political system: With the Kaiser only having symbolic role and the chancellor being in charge of the government, the Reichstag, as you said, would have most powers.

However, there would be no second chamber as in Britain. An "Oberhaus" would be like the Bundesrat today (or the Bundesrat of 1871 or the Reichsrat of 1919). There the governments of the states, Prussia, Saxony, Bavaria and so on, would be represented. Each state would have a certain ammount of votes, depending on the number of population (and some adjustments not to have Prussia dictating everything).

So the nobles would be still able to make a political career.

Adler

Okies. Apolagies for the total silence from me for the past month. I have had some personal stuff to deal with, and needed a time-out as a result.

I don't really want to get into it more than that so moving on... I have posted (Or am about to) the rest of 1918, and would post more but have yet to spell-check it :rolleyes: A few new tweaks there, along with a major alteration for the timeline.

June 25th 1918
[SIZE=-1] After debate in Germany and contact with the American Government, Germany declares that it will create a new system of government to appease the civilian population, and that it will be structured on the American Government. Kaiser Wilhelm II will remain as monarch, but the position will become a more symbolic one than all-powerful, and much of his power will be given to the Reichstag. The Reichstag itself will remain much as it is, containing members of the lower classes who are male and over the age of 25. It will however be given much more power, and the ruling aristocracy will be prohibited from entering the Reichstag and will instead form an Oberhaus. The members of the Reichstag will be voted in once every five years unless a special vote is called by either the Chancellor, and approved by the Kaiser or by the Kaiser himself, and this can only be done in exceptional circumstances. [/SIZE]

That seems to be closer to the British than the US system? Noble "Upper House" instead of a Senate?
And as Adler17 has already mentioned it wouldn´t work in Germany. You still have the Kingdom of Prussia, the Kingdom of Bavaria and so on (4 Kingdoms, 6 Grand Duchies, 5 Duchies, 7 principalities) down to 3 Free Cities like Hamburg.

Simply put Imperial Germany isn´t a centralized state so a (centralized) noble "Oberhaus" wouldn´t make sense.
It´s even a step back from the already existing "Bundesrat" representing the states. With the "Bundesrat" elected state governments can influence federal legislation. While with your proposed noble "Oberhaus" you´ll take away existing rights from the states and give it to a tiny minority of nobles. Whose interests aren´t necessarily identical to those of the states. Not to mention that Free Cities don´t have any nobles. Your proposal actually reduces democracy here.

[SIZE=-1]It has also been agreed that the 30km demilitarised zone that both nations have agreed to will start from the borders of Alsace-Lorraine, and that the whole of Alsace-Lorraine will be a demilitarised zone, regardless of who governs it. As far as who can vote goes, it has been agreed that only citizens of the province may vote, providing they were citizens on 1st January 1918 (To stop either France or Germany flooding the area with "new" citizens), and that they are over the age of 18. No restriction is to be placed on gender in the vote, but members of the armed forces on 1st January 1918 are prohibited from voting (Those that have retired since then remain prohibited, but those who have signed up since then may vote). [/SIZE]

Everyone over the age of 18 can vote? And both genders?
That´s very progressive. And more than France or Germany allowed its own citizens in 1918?
(Although agitation for the female vote was already going on in Germany before the war.)
And the restriction on military personnel...
With a draft during the war that seems to mean that most younger males in Alsace-Lorraine won´t be allowed to vote? Tricky....
Or do you mean German soldiers stationed in Alsace-Lorraine before or during the war but not born there?

[SIZE=-1]A map of the world after the treaty can be viewed Here[/SIZE]

What Adler17 said. Where´s East Prussia?

August 1st 1918
The voting for the new German Reichstag takes place across Germany, and the elections are close run, but in the end, the Centre Party that favours rebuilding Germany economically wins by a small margin. Konstantin Fehrenbach, as the leader of this party becomes the first Chancellor of the new German political system.

That´s hard to believe.
The Centre Party ("Zentrum") was a dedicated Catholic party. In the last Reichstag elections 1912 the party got 16%. Second largest party behind the Social Democrats with 34%. Our TL 1919 elections show the same trend (19% and 37%).
Even assuming the Social Democrats lost some votes to the left-wing USPD the Social Democrats will win the most votes. Especially since in this TL Germany didn´t lose the war.
If you propose the Centre party with 16-19% of the votes getting more seats than the Social Democrats with 25-30% then Germany is heading for a political crisis already.
Add the (mainly Protestant) conservative parties (10-15%) not liking this. And the two liberal parties (progressive and national) too won´t like this (together both parties got 25% of the votes in 1912).
Any coalition government (needed in the "Reichstag") led by the Centre party would be shaky.

A map of the gains that Austro-Hungary, Germany and The Ottoman Empire secured from Russia in the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk (1917), can be seen Here

What happened with Finland?
I assume that like in our TL Germany was supporting Finnish independence?
The Finnish Jäger regiment (trained in Germany) and the German Baltic Sea Division had already landed in Finland in April 1918.

BlondieBC

Banned
October 1st 1918
Although some work has already been done on the fresh water wells, Germany holds the "official" groundbreaking ceremony for the new docks at Dar Es Salaam. They plan to build up a state-of-the-art naval base with two dry-docks, both capable of taking a Battleship or Battlecruiser if need be, along with other modern dock facilities. There will be three coaling piers (In theory 6 large ships can coal at once) and also space is put aside for oil fuelling facilities although these will not be built at the current time, as no oil-burning ships are planned to be posted there initially. On shore, there will be barracks for up to 12,500 men that will include up to 5,000 sailors and 5,000 dock workers and 2,500 soldiers (At maximum capacity). There will also be extensive storage dumps so that the base can in theory continue to operate without re-supply for up to 6 months (Fresh water wells mean that food and not water will be the major issue in event of a lack of supplies). There will also be limited machine plants on shore so that all but the most serious repairs can be dealt with at the base. If there is a serious repair job, then the ship can either sail to Germany for the work or dry-dock at Dar Es Salaam and the parts can be shipped from Germany.

The port will also have a merchant section, as the idea is to gradually build up Dar Es Salaam into a centre of commerce if possible. At the very least, merchant ships will be able to fuel and provision there on their passage through the area and that would bring in some commerce. Also, if a ship is in need of repair, they can use the naval base dry-dock facilities, but these will only be available in the event of an emergency.

Food will not be an issue for Dar Es Salaam at the 12,500 troop level. The colony can grow enough food. The only food issues would be if Dar Es Salaam is cutoff by land.

Also, with coal fired ships, there operational range will be limited, and they will be of limited use. What is Germany planning on doing with these ships in Dar Es Salaam? In your scenario, Germany needs long-range, fast, oil fueled cruisers in Dar Es Salaam.

BlondieBC

Banned
At 4pm exactly the Kaiserliche Marine Jacks are run down and White Ensign is run up onboard the submarines, they are transferred to the Royal Navy. Both the Danae and the submarines are scheduled to remain in Wilhelmshaven for the next week, as the German crews are to show the Royal Naval crews how to operate the submarines safely.

He says that to build 4 large and powerful Battleships that are a generation or two ahead of rival designs (America and Japan are the considered rivals as it is not expected that France, Germany, Italy or Russia can afford post-war fleet expansion programmes) would cost roughly £20 million pounds each - A cost of three times the cost of an existing ship (In OTL, the Admiral Class cost just over £6 million pounds each). He did however sweeten this price by saying that development and thorough testing of the armour scheme would be included in the price, meaning that all forms of current attack would have been considered and tested against, giving the ships a high survivability factor, and that some of the estimated cost for each ship will go towards the development of other advanced technologies that will be required for the ships, and that once developed, these technologies can be used on other ships.

After considering what the Chief Naval Designer had told him before Christmas, the First Sea Lord decides to authorize the planning and design of two new classes of capital ships. One will be a Battleship with large calibre guns, very heavy armour and a top speed of around 25 knots. The other design would be a Fast-Battleship. She will carry heavy armour, have a top speed of 33 knots so as to be comparable to the new United States Lexington Class Battlecruisers and mount the same sized main guns as the new Battleship if possible, with the limits of the designs being only that they must be able to fit through the Suez Canal and be able to be docked in existing facilities around the empire. He also asks that the design incorporate the latest current developments for guns and armour that were currently under development with suppliers.

Your selling of the U-boats is quite plausible. The Germans build submarines for the Russians prewar. British were building surface ships for the Ottomans, etc. The British will not learn much from the UB and UC classes. They are of lower functionality than prewar U-boats, for example, there often was no hatch between the main body of the sub and the conning tower, making the conning tower a part of the pressure hull. The conning tower is the most vulnerable part of the sub. They were built to be quick and cheap to build. I also doubt there is that much revolutionary in the U-19,U-21 that the British do not understand. Yes it helps to have your enemies ships to study, but it should not lead to great breakthroughs. And the English subs were adequate, they just lacked a important mission for the war due to the way the naval war played out.

I don't know how much realism you want in your TL, but you are making Germany's budget issues too great in relation to the UK. In your ATL, France is broke for a generation or two. A-H will have a good bit to spend compared to OTL prewar, if and only if, the 50 year reorganization is well handled. A-H spent a low % of GDP on its military.

The UK sold its foreign assets (secured loans) by first quarter of 1917. While six months less of war expenditures will help compared to OTL, the USA will expect repayment. If the UK build massive new ships and starts a new Naval race and stiffs the USA on the loan repayments, you are setting up for the Americans to be a hostile power for the British. You probably are ok if you keep the British Naval budget near (within 10%) of OTL. Otherwise, you have some massive butterflies.

Germany is actually in good shape. It was not able to import large amounts, so it has many of its foreign assets. It too will not want an arms race, but it can easily afford to build one new monster class ship for each 2 monster class ships the UK builds. And the USA can build more than 2. So the same factors working for a naval limitation treaty in OTL, will be working in your ATL. Now based on your forum you chose, you have very wide latitude on what you do with realism. It is an enjoyable read.

And one side note, the Germans had black officers in Africa in WW1, so under budget pressure, it is not much of a stretch to have black enlisted and officers on the ships permanently stationed in Dar Es Salaam.

Erm, on the map East Prussia should not be part of Lithunia
:eek: My bad map. On the world maps, this is good but I dropped the ball there. Thanks and it is corrected (I hope!).

That seems to be closer to the British than the US system? ***SNIP*** Your proposal actually reduces democracy here.
I will look into that whole comment and edit as necessary. I am not too familiar with German politics, but did run my ideas past a few AH members and they seemed ok with it.

Everyone over the age of 18 can vote? And both genders? ***SNIP*** Or do you mean German soldiers stationed in Alsace-Lorraine before or during the war but not born there?
What I am aiming for here is this (Slightly altered to origional post):
1) All civilians aged 18 or over on the given date get a vote, regardless of gender.
2) No military personnel stationed in the area can vote UNLESS they lived there (ie owned property there) on the given date. (Basically, if they lived there and were conscripted after the date, they can vote, and if they are in the military, but their family still lives there, then they can vote). The military personnel can vote regardless of where they are stationed. They can be in the Ukraine or Alsace-Lorraine or Africa etc. and vote, providing their current home is in the A-L region.
Given forced conscription, I figured this was fair as the military personnel stationed in the area could be ordered to vote one way or the other.

On a side note, the US (Who are supervising/instigated the vote) enabled sufferage in 1919, as did Germany (So I am only pulling it forward 1 year). France did not enable it until 1944 however! :eek:

That´s hard to believe. The Centre Party ("Zentrum") was a dedicated Catholic party. ***SNIP*** Any coalition government (needed in the "Reichstag") led by the Centre party would be shaky.
I believe I looked into the policies of each government for the 1919 vote OTL and picked the one that had those that I required. I will look into this again however, and modify if necessary. I was planning to have the Center Party voted out at the next vote in 1922/23 however.

What happened with Finland?
Finland is as OTL so far ITTL.

Food will not be an issue for Dar Es Salaam at the 12,500 troop level. The colony can grow enough food. The only food issues would be if Dar Es Salaam is cutoff by land.
Only a fool would have a military base in a foreign land that is difficult to supply, and not have stockpiles of food and water in case of emergency (It could be blocked off by land and sea, or be called upon to provide aid in case of emergency), so I have her with supply stockpiles. There are a few better reasons for this, much later in the TL.

Also, with coal fired ships, there operational range will be limited, and they will be of limited use. What is Germany planning on doing with these ships in Dar Es Salaam? In your scenario, Germany needs long-range, fast, oil fueled cruisers in Dar Es Salaam.
I totally agree, however ITTL as in OTL the Kaiser Class BBs are coal powered (With oil burners), as are all German cruisers according to my Jane's Fighting Ships of WWI. All future German capital ships will be either oil or diesel burning, and at the time the first ships are stationed at Dar es Salaam, the oil/diesel fueling facilities will be built up. As none of these ships are being send right away, the construction of those facilities is being delayed to spread the cost of the base.

Your selling of the U-boats is quite plausible. ***SNIP*** And the English subs were adequate, they just lacked a important mission for the war due to the way the naval war played out.
Not planned to. England got some German subs as settlement OTL, so I am giving them to her in this manner ITTL so that the UK's sub development can go as OTL.

I don't know how much realism you want in your TL, but you are making Germany's budget issues too great in relation to the UK. In your ATL, France is broke for a generation or two. A-H will have a good bit to spend compared to OTL prewar, if and only if, the 50 year reorganization is well handled. A-H spent a low % of GDP on its military.
Germany is limiting itself for now (War over = Military budget slashed), but will build up again once things settle down.

The UK sold its foreign assets (secured loans) by first quarter of 1917. ***SNIP*** Otherwise, you have some massive butterflies.
While I could use those butterflies, I have another way of doing them ;)

It is an enjoyable read.

I hope that all answers everybody's observations/questions. I will go look into those things I said I would, and edit in tweaks as required.

Also, please forgive all the 'snips', but I didn't want a massively long post!

EDIT: Oh and:
And one side note, the Germans had black officers in Africa in WW1, so under budget pressure, it is not much of a stretch to have black enlisted and officers on the ships permanently stationed in Dar Es Salaam.
Read this. It's real and very interesting! Paragraph 3 is specific to that thought of BlondieBC's, but it is all good.

EDIT 2: I am also shocked and horrored that nobody noticed my massive blooper! :eek: I forgot about that Alsace-Lorraine vote! :eek: Writing now and will post shortly though :)

Last edited:
Ok. July 15th 1918 needs editing. Given I can't edit a post that old, the new version of that date is below:

July 15th 1918
In what will become known as The Treaty of Paris (1918) the previously warring Allied nations and Central Powers officially sign the instruments of peace and The Great War ends. German troops have already begun their withdrawal from Belgium, Luxembourg and France, and the final troops begin their symbolic departure at 11:00am - The time that Germany signs the treaty. Over the next 10 years Germany will honour the treaty and rebuild both Belgium and Luxembourg to the cost of 15 Billion Gold Reichmarks, and the signing of the treaty also triggers the start of the campaign in Alsace-Lorraine, to see who will govern the province. Both France and Germany will now run extensive propaganda campaigns to try and persuade the citizens to vote for them to govern, in the vote that will take place on September 1st 1918. During the later discussion stages of the peace treaty, it has been agreed that providing there is a continuous connection from one nation to the area that voted for them, then that area will be under that nation's rule (ie France could Govern and area on German borders, providing that there are French governed areas connecting it to France, and visa-versa for Germany). It has also been agreed that the 30km demilitarised zone that both nations have agreed to will start from the borders of Alsace-Lorraine, and that the whole of Alsace-Lorraine will be a demilitarised zone, regardless of who governs it. As far as who can vote goes, it has been agreed that people who meet the following criteria can vote:
1) They were aged 18 or over on the 1st January 1918.
2) They main place of residence was in the province of Alsace-Lorraine on 1st January 1918.
No restriction has been placed on gender, so both men and women can vote, and no restriction has been placed on members of the armed forces voting, but in order for them to be eligible to vote, they must live in the province (They can be posted anywhere, but they must have owned property in the province on the 1st January 1918 to qualify for the right to vote).

The date of the 1st January 1918 has been chosen, as it guarantees that neither France or Germany can flood the province with 'new' citizens, in order to swing the vote their way, and official documents (Already in American possession) will be used to check the names of those who are qualified to vote.

Edits to September 1918.

September 1st 1918
All across the province of Alsace-Lorraine, the vote of governance promised in The Treaty of Paris (1918) takes place. American observers are present, alongside both French and German observers (Neither of who are exactly impartial), and on the whole the turnout is good and there are no problems or accusations of fraudulent voting. Due to the sensitivity and importance of the vote, all votes will be counted several times, to ensure an accurate ballet, and the results will be announced in one week.

September 8th 1918
One week after the vote that will decide the future of the disputed province of Alsace-Lorraine, the votes have been counted and re-counted to confirm the results, and a map has been drawn up. The final result is announced by the American observers in the capital city of the province, Strasbourg, at 11:00am. The overall result is in favour of the Germans, but several areas along the French border have voted in favour of being governed by France. The results are naturally enough met with cries of 'unfair', 'fake', and 'fraudulent' in political circles, but the vote has been carefully monitored and is accurate. The people have spoken, and unless either France or Germany wishes to go to war again over the province (Which neither do), then honour is settled and the people have decided their own future.

A map showing the governance of Alsace-Lorraine can be seen Here

-------------------------------------------

In order to get the results of the vote, I generally followed the lines of the spoken dialects of Alsace-Lorraine, figuring that if you spoke the language, you would be more aligned to them and their way of thinking. Hope that is ok for the majority of readers :)