The Man In The High Castle

I'm almost done with my (second) re-reading of The Man In The High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

The second time through...it's excellent.

I see why it's considered a classic and a staple of alternate history.

What are your thoughts on the book?

What was ingenious as far as storytelling goes was the novel-within-a-novel.

I think we are all familiar with The Grasshopper Lies Heavy.

What struck me upon my second read-through was how well it pokes fun at (modern) alternate history and one's tendency to overestimate the likelihood of events going a certain way.

There is a great part in the book where one of the characters dismisses the novel as implausible, as in his mind Rommel was unbeatable in the North African campaign and the Axis were destined to win.

The novel of course details a world wherein the Allies won WWII, postulating that FDR survived his assassination attempt and explores how a FDR presidency would be in the 1930's Great Depression U.S.

The novel-within-a-novel approach is filled with subtleties. Not to mention the rest of the novel (the real one)

A character dismisses the New Deal, claiming that it wouldn't have alleviated the effects of the Great Depression in time for WWII.

FDR only serves two terms, with Rexford Tugwell becoming president in 1940 and having effectively won WWII under his administration.

Other nice yet subtle details include completely discounting the USSR (in the grasshopper lies heavy) in the post-war world's makeup, with the British Empire apparently controlling the oil fields at Baku. Furthermore, the only reason the Soviets won at Stalingrad in the grasshopper lies heavy was due to a linkup with British forces from north Africa whom had arrived in the Caucasus. In other words, the Soviets weren't capable of holding their own without outside help according the book's fictional author.

In all it's a great book (the man in the high castle, I mean) and is worth a re-read.

Very well-written, and very dark. (due to the total Axis victory)

I'm also starting Harry Turtledove's World War series. I like it so far, and as far as modern alternate history goes it's pretty good as well.

A terrific book indeed. I haven't reread it lately, but remember it fondly. It was published I believe in 1963, just at the beginning of what we now call Alternate History. The following year Look magazine published If the South had won the Civil war and later, If Hitler had won World War II. (written by William Shirer) I particularly liked the intra-Party infighting between factions in the Reich and the truly distopic world the Reich had set up. Supposedly Phillip Dick mostly wrote it while stoned and frequently consulted the I Ching in plotting it.

If he was stoned while writing it, maybe that accounts for the characters smoking marijuana joints (and no, I'm not kidding) in several parts.

As far as fiction goes, and I can't stress this enough, it's dark. Maybe it's the result of my second read-through, but The Man In The High Castle universe is incredibly Orwellian if not outright twisted.

The Nazis drain the Mediterranean sea by utilizing atomic power (echoing OTL 1950's atomic age) in the '50's and then proceed to decimate Africa which they carve up between themselves and a greatly enlarged Italian Empire which now makes up most of the excess land formed from "Project Farmland".

The south in the U.S. (a Nazi puppet state) is said to be linked to the Nazis politically, culturally, and economically.

In fact, the Nazis' side of the world is so horrible and messed up that it makes the Japanese Empire's side seem like a slice of paradise in comparison.

It was published I believe in 1963, just at the beginning of what we now call Alternate History.
The earliest AH I can recall having read was 'History Rewritten' which I think was published around 1930 - a collection of stories by various authors (Churchill's contribution was a tale of the CSA winning the ACW).

No doubt an earlier book exists - does anyone know?

If he was stoned while writing it, maybe that accounts for the characters smoking marijuana joints (and no, I'm not kidding) in several parts.

As far as fiction goes, and I can't stress this enough, it's dark. Maybe it's the result of my second read-through, but The Man In The High Castle universe is incredibly Orwellian if not outright twisted.

The Nazis drain the Mediterranean sea by utilizing atomic power (echoing OTL 1950's atomic age) in the '50's and then proceed to decimate Africa which they carve up between themselves and a greatly enlarged Italian Empire which now makes up most of the excess land formed from "Project Farmland".

The south in the U.S. (a Nazi puppet state) is said to be linked to the Nazis politically, culturally, and economically.

In fact, the Nazis' side of the world is so horrible and messed up that it makes the Japanese Empire's side seem like a slice of paradise in comparison.

I agree the PSA seems like a wonderful place compared to the Reich.

Grey Wolf

Donor
It was probably the first alternate history I ever read - I would probably have been 12, 13 etc. It spurred on a love for changing the past, and led to one enormous Pacific War game with my then best-friend. I even conquered the Andaman Islands :)

Best Regards
Grey Wolf