The Impossible Dream

The Impossible Dream

Or

How One Person’s Survival Taught Me
To Stop Worrying and Love the Butterflies

“Tyranny can come from the mob just as easily as it can come from a far away king, perhaps more so.” - Alexander Hamilton

“I learn something from everyone I meet. From the English I learned diligence to duty. From the Americans, I learned determination. From the Austrians, I learned intrigue. From the Prussians I took military discipline, and from the Russians, I received lessons in hardness. I have brought them all back for the glory of France and her people.” - Emperor Napoleon II

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

“Congratulations, Your Majesty.” - conversation between His Majesty King George I and Hon. Lord John Adams, Earl of Braintree, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, 1786

Note: Yes, I am (once again) endeavoring to write a plausible timeline where George Washington becomes monarch. As the title suggests, to achieve this I have altered the fate of a single individual, whom you will meet in the first post. This survival then leads to swarms of butterflies as my crazy mind is also attempting to fulfill multiple desires at once (including but not limited to a British Empire (including all of Ireland) ruled by Hohenzollerns, different alliances in the WWI analogue, no fewer than two native states in sub-saharan Africa, and a surviving Austrian Empire complete with colonies [for a time, they do get lost]). As for formatting, I intend to start with few broad posts covering the basics before moving into a more yearly scheme once 1775 rolls around, though I reserve the right to move back into the broad stroke pattern in boring years.

George, they fight like ghosts. The strike at us and disappear before we can respond. It is a most irregular form of warfare. Thank God for Lord Cathcart, without him we would be lost. - Letter from Lawrence Washington to HM George I concerning his time fighting in Cuba. Dated June 17, 1741. Preserved in the Vernon House Archives.

Lord Charles Cathcart, 8th Lord Cathcart, arrived in Port Royal in early 1741. The trip from England had been challenging, as he had become sick. However, Cathcart survived the journey and arrived to take overall command of the campaign to capture Havana. When he arrived, he quickly improved the situation of many of the soldiers, who had arrived in Jamaica short on provisions and lacking the proper equipment. Cathcart ensured that not only the orders were clear, but that the men had the proper provisions.

The Battle of Havana in April 1741 went well for the British. The American Regiment, in particular, proved effective in battle. Of note was one Captain Lawrence Washington, half-brother to the George I of the United States, who successfully led a company of Americans drawn from Virginia in battle. Lawrence was frequently called upon to rally his men and push them forward, capturing key spots throughout the city. It was this performance that won the Regiment praise and Lawrence personal acclaim.

Despite this victory, the war for Cuba raged on and the British would never fully capture the island. The Spanish forces used ambushes and hit and run tactics against the British that hampered their efforts to fully pacify the island. Lawrence would write his younger brother about the tactics that the Spanish used. Lawrence, it seemed, was conflicted about these tactics and seemed to show a mixture of admiration and loathing toward them. The younger Washington would later state that it was these letters that began his interest in “irregular warfare.”

Defensa_de_Cartagena_de_Indias_por_la_escuadra_de_D._Blas_de_Lezo%2C_a%C3%B1o_1741.jpg

-depiction of Battle of Havana, 1741

POD: Lord Charles Cathcart lives

My dearest Hannah, how I miss you. - Letter from HM George I to HH Hannah Washington (nee Fairfax) while on campaign with General George Braddock. Dated April 6, 1754. Preserved in the Vernon House Archives.

Young George Washington spent his young life idolizing his brother Lawrence. It was no surprise, then, that he would marry his sister-in-law’s half-sister, Hannah. Born in 1733 [1], Hannah was the daughter of William Fairfax and his second wife, Deborah Clarke. The Washingtons became frequent guests at Belvoir Manner and George became fast friends with George William Fairfax.

Lawrence would go on to marry Anne Fairfax in 1743 and George would marry Hannah in 1752. George’s marriage to Hannah would be particularly happy as they both share many of the same interests and pursuits. It wasn’t long before children were born to the couple. [2] The first, George Lawrence, was born on 10 September, 1754, shortly after George returned home from the Fort Necessity disaster. Mary Anne was born on 4 December, 1755. The couple lost a child in 1757, posthumously named Sally. Hannah Elizabeth was born on 22 July, 1759. Lastly, William Augustine was born on March 1, 1762.

It also proved a financial boon for the younger Washington, as he not only benefited from the sizable dowry, but from Hannah’s share of the inheritance.

In 1754, Governor Robert Dinwiddie sent George to treat with the French over the Ohio Country and demand they remove themselves. When the negotiations failed, a series of battles broke out leading to George’s surrender at the hastily constructed Fort Necessity. However, rather than be blamed, the Virginia House of Burgesses thanked Washington for his service and blamed the lack of supplies.

Of course, these events precipitated the French and Indian War in North America. When the American Regiment was reformed under General George Braddock, George was given a commission in the British Army as a Captain and placed on Braddock’s staff, while his brother took command of a battalion as a Major.

Braddock’s campaign would go down in history for two major reasons. First, it was a disaster. Both Braddock and Lawrence Washington were killed and the British failed to even come close to reaching their objectives. Second, Washington became a hero. As the British regulars and colonial militia were retreating, Washington gallantly rode to the front and organized an orderly retreat.

Braddock%27s_death_at_the_Battle_of_Monongahela_9-July-1755.jpg

-Depiction of the Battle of Monongahela

For his role, George was promoted all the way to colonel of the 43rd Regiment (the American Regiment), the move became necessary with the death of the original colonel, the splitting of the regiment in two, and given the task of preparing for future campaigns. In this role he participated in campaigns against both the Native Americans and French. George never fully forgave the French for killing his brother and some historians have suggested that it is this hatred that led to Washington’s anti-French bias at the beginning of his reign.

As Colonel of the 43rd Regiment, he gained valuable political, military, and leadership skills that benefit him greatly as he aged. He also developed a great distrust of militia troops, viewing them as unreliable, and arguing for regular units in the future. Finally, his frustration in dealing with local governments was well known, having viewed them as obstructionist and leading to his belief in a strong national government.

By the time the war ended in 1763, the fighting had mostly ended in North America. General James Wolfe had won on the Plains of Abraham and captured Canada. He was rewarded for his actions and created as the Duke of Canada, though he would settle in Philadelphia and subsequently died in 1765 from an dysentery.[3] George was rewarded handsomely, by Virginia (land and accolades), and one of several baronetcy handed out to colonists who had fought bravely during the war. He would return home to Mount Vernon to his family and children.

[1] - She existed, the interweb is a little vague on when she was born though
[2] - Lawrence never gets ill, thus he never travels to the Barbados, thus GW never goes with him, thus GW doesn’t get smallpox, thus GW isn’t rendered sterile
[3] - He lived, just not long enough

Well...if you won't give me comments, I shall have to take them.

I can now inform you that the Congress have made Choice of the modest and virtuous, the amiable, generous and brave George Washington Esqr., to be the General of the American Army, and that he is to repair as soon as possible to the Camp before Boston. - Letter from Hon. Lord John Adams, Earl of Braintree to his wife, Abigail. Dated 17 June 1775. Preserved at Peacefield.

In hindsight, Washington was the only real choice to serve as Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army. He had the necessary experience and prestige, and New England needed the support of the South. After his appointment, Washington began constructing the Continental Army, working with Congress to fill senior positions and training the Army.

While Washington grew up in the structured system of the British Army, he also remembered his experiences in the Ohio Country during the war and his brother’s letters to him from Lawrence’s time in Cuba. Therefore, he took special time to train his people in “irregular warfare”. At the same time, Washington did his best to emphasize regular army units over militia. Washington just didn’t trust militia units.

Washington commissioned his son, George Lawrence, as a Captain and made him his aide-de-camp. As a side note, George Lawrence Washington met Benjamin Franklin at the Second Continental Congress. Thanks to George Lawrence, we know that Franklin expressed dismay at the death of an individual named Thomas Paine. Paine it seemed, had met Franklin in Britain and was traveling to the colonies when he died of Typhoid on the voyage over. Washington also brought in people like Benedict Arnold, Alexander Hamilton, and John Laurens.

George Lawrence also met his future wife at around this time. Abigail “Nabby” Adams was eleven years old and she had traveled with her father to the Continental Congress. There, the strapping young George Lawrence was introduced to the precocious youth. Ironically, neither was particularly fond of the other. George Lawrence viewed Nabby as a silly and rambunctious little girl and Nabby supposedly thought that George Lawrence sounded “silly” with his Virginian accent.

Around that same time, George Lawrence met with Benedict Arnold and Jonathan Eddy. Eddy had been urging an attack on Nova Scotia while it was lightly defended. George Lawrence, believing the idea had merit, introduced Arnold to his father and urged his father to accept the plan. Plans were also being developed for an attack on Quebec and Washington came to see the benefits of both plans, endorsing them before Congress.

Arnold, George Lawrence, and Eddy would lead 1500 men toward Fort Cumberland and then, hopefully to Halifax. At the same time, General Richard Montgomery would lead a campaign toward Quebec City.

This is a good start.

Waiting for more, of course (just because no one is commenting doesn't mean no one is reading, Arch-Angel)...

The happiest moment of my life was seeing the American flag rise over Halifax - remark by Sir Jonathan Eddy

The Battle of Fort Cumberland occurred on September 15, 1775 and was a quick decisive affair. The American forces, totalling over 1500 (they had been joined by Natives and Nova Scotians) outnumbered the British forces by eight to one. Arnold, seeing this advantage and knowing the real prize was Halifax, ordered a quick strike in the middle of the night.

Using ladders, the American managed to breach the walls before the alarm could be sounded. After barely twenty minutes of fighting, the Fort and its garrison were in the hands of the Americans. Arnold left a garrison of three hundred men behind before quickly moving on to Halifax.

The Battle of Fort Halifax proved to be a bit more of a challenge. By the time the Americans arrived on October 2, 1775, the British knew they were coming. Fortunately, for the Americans, the Fort’s defenses were oriented toward the sea. As a result, the Americans were able to quickly surround the Fort and began shelling it with mortars. The British commander, desperate for reinforcements, sent letter after letter to Boston, begging for help. Unfortunately, General Howe did not believe he could spare the men as Washington was doing his best to pressure the British there. On October 16, 1775, the British approached the Americans under a flag of truce and agree to surrender the Fort if they would be allowed to withdraw. Arnold accepted the surrender on the condition the guns and munitions would be left whole. After some hesitation, and seeing the formidable display Arnold had prepare, the British agreed. On October 18, 1775, Arnold happily took control of the Fort and the entire region.

It was said that when George III of Britain learned of the fall of Halifax he flew into such a rage it took him three days to calm down. That rage returned when he learned Montreal had fallen to General Richard Montgomery on November 13, 1775.

For his part, learning that Halifax had fallen and with the cold winter settling in, Montgomery elected to fortify his position in and around Montreal and wait until the spring to move on Quebec City.

By the end of 1775, the British had been knocked back on their heals and the Americans were riding high. British forces were largely limited to Boston and Quebec City, while the Americans controlled everywhere else. In Europe, the string of victories, though small, had led both France and Spain to up their support for the Americans. They hadn’t, yet, declared war on Britain, but the prospect was becoming more real by the day.

So where does Arnold get his siege cannon from?

The cannon captured at Fort Ticonderoga is too far to be transported to Halifax. It may be used against Fort St Jean and aid Montgomery, but Halifax just seems a bit out of the ordinary. And the Patriots waited until fall/winter to move the artillery back to Boston. I am not saying that the artillery cannot be redeployed to the northern campaigns. Just that it being available for a campaign on Halifax seems to be a bit much.

Could the cannon be a gift from the French?

The Withdrawal from Boston
And
Gains and Losses

The Fortification of Dorchester Heights and the subsequent withdrawal from Boston was another in a string of failures by the British. It wouldn’t be there last. - Sir John Dassero, Professor of History at Columbia University

Ultimately, the trade of Halifax for Quebec City was a win for the Americans. - Sir John Dassero, Professor of History at Columbia University

March 4 - 17, 1776

On the night of March 4, American troops quietly, and successfully, managed to take the the heights overlooking Boston and mount a number of cannons there. The cannon, brought by General Knox from Ticonderoga, put the British in an unenviable position. The American could now shell the British ships in the harbor.

The British Admiral, Molyneux Shuldham, informed General Howe that their position was untenable and the Royal Navy was in danger unless they retook the Heights or withdrew. After some debate, General Howe gave the order to withdraw.

He sent a letter to Washington informing the Americans that, if they did not contest the evacuation, the city would be left unharmed. Washington acknowledged the letter and Howe withdrew from the city on March 17.

March 7 - 11, 1776

As the winter turned to spring, the Americans under General Montgomery began tightening the siege of Quebec City. Having spent most of the winter in and around Montreal, the Americans were well trained and equipped they had also received additional re-enforcements, both from local militia and continental regulars. As a result, the American numbered approximately 5,000. On the other hand, the British forces in Quebec City were wearing out there welcome amongst the Quebecois.

On March 7, believing his forces to be ready and knowing it would only be a matter of time before the British were re-enforced, General Montgomery ordered his forces forward. Despite being outnumbered, the British managed to hold their works against American attacks for most of March 7 and March 8. In the evening of the 8th, Guy Carleton, believing to have the Americans on the ropes, ordered a counter attack for the morning.

On March 9, the British counter-attack began, forces swarmed out of the city and managed to push the American forces back, however, in so doing took massive casualties, especially when they ran into the American’s prepared defenses. By the early evening, the British were forced to call off the attack.

Canadian_militiamen_and_British_soldiers_repulse_the_American_assault_at_Sault-au-Matelot.jpg

-British counter-attack, March 9

Overnight both forces took stock of the situation, Carleton and the British were pleased, they had bought themselves some space and did not believe the Americans would attack again. Montgomery had other plans. He correctly believed the British had been stretched thin from the day’s actions. Additionally, he had received word of the growing resentment within the city to the British. As a result, he issued orders to attack at first light.

Richard_Montgomery_-_Project_Gutenberg_etext_20110.jpg

When the attack began, the British were caught wholly surprised and unprepared. By 12PM, the Americans had entered the city and were pushing the British out. Although casualties were high on both sides, the British, due to their inferior numbers, were forced to fall back.

Finally, in the early hours of March 11, 1776, Sir Guy Carleton, leader of the British forces and Governor of Quebec, was forced to surrender along with the remaining 700 men he had.

General-Sir-Guy-Carleton_2.jpg

-Sir Guy Carleton, who will spend the rest of the war as an American prisoner

April 4 - May 3

Following the American victory at Halifax, Washington kept in close contact with Arnold. As a result, Arnold knew the British had withdrawn from Boston and were, most likely, heading his way. Arnold also knew the British outnumber him two to one and could attack in much the same way he did, from the rear. As a result, Arnold, together with Eddy and Washington (the younger), gave orders to be constructing additional fortifications in and around Fort Cumberland. The idea was simple, they couldn’t hold Halifax, but they could try and hold the mainland.

When the British landed to the south and north of Halifax on April 15, Arnold was ready. He had already stripped the Fort of most of its defenses and powder. What was left, he spiked. Finally, he fired the docks before leaving. While the docks wouldn’t be completely destroyed, they would suffer heavy damage and need serious repair before they could be used fully.

Howe arrived on April 20 and was furious. He was left with a shell of fort, no guns, no powder, and a burnt out dock.

The Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self evident… - portion of the Declaration of Independence

Damn Congress, they expect me to fight a war with no men or supplies. - George Washington, in the lead up to the Battle of Long Island

April to May

When the British arrived in Halifax, Howe quickly realized he needed to do something to regain the initiative. Howe plans to land in New York City and use that as the base to launch further attacks against the rebels. When Burgoyne arrives with 4000 additional troops, mostly Germans, Howe expanded the plan.

“Gentleman” John Burgoyne’s force was originally intended to relieve Quebec City. However, with the fall of the city, Burgoyne’s men were now free to attack elsewhere. Howe decided the best place for them would be the south. The British had heard rumors the southern colonies were full of loyalists and would be a good spot to build momentum before marching north. As such, he cut orders for Clinton, Burgoyne, and a force of 6500 men to attack Charleston, South Carolina.

burgoyne.jpg

-General John Burgoyne​

Meanwhile, Howe would take most of the rest of his troops and sail for New York City. Once the city was secure, additional campaigns could proceed.

June 28, 1776

The British attack began in the mid-afternoon with a bombardment on Fort Sullivan. Fortunately, for the British, earlier in the day General Charles Lee, the American commanding officer, relieved Colonel Moultrie, commander of the Fort. Lee didn’t believe the Fort would hold and ordered Moultrie to abandon it. Moultrie, acting under the orders of John Rutledge, the President of the South Carolina General Assembly, delayed abandoning the Fort. Moultrie’s actions frustrated Lee so much that he relieved him of his command and then evacuated the base.

Moultrie requested leave, which was granted, and he left to travel north. Meanwhile, the British began shelling the Fort, not knowing it was evacuated and the thick walls and sand embankments rendered the attack useless. Moultrie was correct. When the British realized the Fort was undefended they quickly landed, occupied the Fort, and moved into the City.

By nightfall, Charleston was under the control of the British and Lee was scrambling for assistance.

April to July

Following the British withdrawal from Boston, Washington spent much of his time drilling the American force into something resembling an army. At the same time, he also began moving to defend New York City, figuring that was the next British attack.

Washington used every trick and tool he learned from his time in the British Army to improve his forces. He was also assisted by able commanders, including John Thomas, Nathaniel Greene, and Henry Knox. While the discipline and skill of the Army improved, it was still not nearly as professional as the British Army. Washington was also still hampered by supply and personnel problems.

Congress had promised Washington additional troops and supplies, despite a fury of letters, Washington’s calls were met with delay and disorganization. Congress disagreed about mostly everything, except that Washington should be the British. When Washington pointed out that was hard to do with no bullets or powder, he was met with more promises. Congress was also the reason he was marching to New York City.

Washington had wanted to concede the City to the British, but Congress wouldn’t allow it. Washington’s forces moved into the City in early May and began improving the defenses, expanding the fortification network and laying traps. Through all of this, Washington continued to train his forces and instill discipline.

On June 28, Washington learned that the British fleet had set sail from Halifax on June 9 and were heading toward New York. On June 29, signals were sent from men stationed on Staten Island, indicating that the British fleet had appeared. The battle was about to begin.

On July 4, Congress declared independence.