Terres Australes | Alternative World Thread by Substantial_Habit

Here are some of the proposals.
Top left: Flag inspired by the Canadian flag, with the Kerguelen Cabbage (the national flower) at the centre.
Top right: Red flag with the Kerguelen Cabbage on the middle and a white stripe on top with three black ermines.
Bottom left: Navy blue flag with a white cross and a shield in the middle with a southern cross of Fleur de Lis.
Bottom right: Flag representing the coat of arms of Kerguelen .
MfRHVq5.png
Fun fact the Kerguelean Cabbage also appears on the Passport of Kerguelen:
K0y4CXo.jpeg

Provinces: Gramont and Bruyéres
Hi guys, Happy Sunday! I finished a new map! The provinces of Bruyéres and Gramont, two of the northern most provinces of Kerguelen. Both famous for their stunning coastlines and natural beauty. Wiki pages of both coming soon! Hope you like them :)

GthwRDz.png

Last edited:
Here are some of the proposals.
Top left: Flag inspired by the Canadian flag, with the Kerguelen Cabbage (the national flower) at the centre.
Top right: Red flag with the Kerguelen Cabbage on the middle and a white stripe on top with three black ermines.
Bottom left: Navy blue flag with a white cross and a shield in the middle with a southern cross of Fleur de Lis.
Bottom right: Flag representing the coat of arms of Kerguelen .
MfRHVq5.png
I like the third one, really nice.

Only places where the color on our world land masses seems different is Catholicism seems to go farther into Ontario, there is a protestant SW corner of Ireland, a more heavily Catholic Florida, and of course a predominantly Protestant east Prussia.

What else?
Much of OTL's French Indochina is Catholic, which I for one am very curious about. Also a large Hindu area in East Africa.

Only places where the color on our world land masses seems different is Catholicism seems to go farther into Ontario, there is a protestant SW corner of Ireland, a more heavily Catholic Florida, and of course a predominantly Protestant east Prussia.

What else?
Much of OTL's French Indochina is Catholic, which I for one am very curious about. Also a large Hindu area in East Africa.
Yeah! Most noticeable changes:
-Catholic south Florida
-Orthodoxy in south-western Alaska
-More Anglicanised Ireland
-Protestant East Prussia
-Less Islam in Yugoslavia
-More number of Catholics in the Spanish Sahara due to immigration
-Christianism more prevalent in Ethiopia and the near East (Egypt, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon)
-Hinduist East Africa
-Catholic Indochina
-Chinese Folk prevalent in Taiwan

Note: I just realised I forgot to write Judaism on the legend 😳

Last edited:
Kerguelen and New Gelderland climate analogues, for reference:
cskYzuh.png

ZCAImwY.png
I don't think it'd get as cold in Central Kerguelen as it does in Siberia or especially Yakutsk. The oceanic air masses would still reach. Interior Scandinavia or the area around Anchorage in Alaska would be my guess for the Subarctic areas of Kerguelen. The continental areas wouldn't see the same extremes you'd get in Minnesota (trust me, I'd know), so my guess would be something like Central Europe. Of course Kerguelen would likely get Antarctic cold waves from time to time, but otherwise it'd be too oceanic to get that cold.

what the hell was TTL with Kazan and Crimean Tatars? They are somehow converted to Orthodoxy? They are deported or exterminated? Interesting, that Siberian Tatars are still Muslim, as I can see.
And what are these "East Asian" enclaves in the Russian Far East?
Crimean Tatars are still Muslim! You can see the green if you zoom in.

Red spots in the Russian far east correspond mainly to Chinese migrants living in that area

I don't think it'd get as cold in Central Kerguelen as it does in Siberia or especially Yakutsk. The oceanic air masses would still reach. Interior Scandinavia or the area around Anchorage in Alaska would be my guess for the Subarctic areas of Kerguelen. The continental areas wouldn't see the same extremes you'd get in Minnesota (trust me, I'd know), so my guess would be something like Central Europe. Of course Kerguelen would likely get Antarctic cold waves from time to time, but otherwise it'd be too oceanic to get that cold.
Yeah definitely Kerguelen would not have the level of continentality that we see in OTL Siberia or inland US, the analogues were made with climatic types rather than temperature or precipitation

The climate borders around Colorado/Nebraska/Kansas with the right angles look almost artificial, but I know they are natural.