Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

ferdi254

Banned
I would have to look it up but OTL in Germany paramedics have been around quite long. Already in the 70s Germany had a nation wide helicopter rescue service, fire brigades at highways had to have trained people… all a part of getting down from the 21k butcher bill of car traffic in the early 70s.

The difference between then and now was the strategy. Back then until the 10s it was to get the victim asap (and that meant asap) to a hospital to give proper care. Then it was changed to stabilize and superior first aid on the spot and then transport.

But the infrastructure had been in place at the 70s.

Well in OTL in the USA the TV show 'Emergency had been showing since 1972 and was portraying early paramedic style intervention based on the real life service in southern California ( California had some on scene medical intervention from 1959 when JEMS was set up). So ITL for the Germans to have a similar service in 1974 would not be a stretch. Now Kiki as the founding head of the German Paramedic service could be a good story line!
IIRC German emergency services predate the PoD. It's been more of a city thing at first, and I know that Vienna had one since the 1880s and I assume that there are German cities with services of similar age.

From what I gather a difference to the US is that in Germany it's common to have a fully trained doctor along - the Notarzt - not jut paramedics. A role that I read P-M depicting Kiki to fill.

Now what would be up in the air is if the centralisation of OTL WW2 and then post war period happened here too, or if we are seeing a patchwork of local (city) organisations with the governmemt struggling to fill in gaps of service.

"
“It’s like what Oma did during the Soviet War as Nurse.”
Dieter looked at Sepp with a touch of surprise. Oma lived across town, and they visited her on holidays. The idea that she had had a life before they knew her was a new idea for him."

I sense another tie in to Kat and her household..
Could their Oma be one of the Russian women who work for Kat?

Part 133, Chapter 2274
Chapter Two Thousand Two Hundred Seventy-Four

27th January 1974

Tempelhof, Berlin

It being a Sunday, what was supposed to be a day of rest was anything but restful in the Emergency Department. Kiki had found herself wanting to yell at her students to get the Hell out of her way after she had had to contend with man who’d had a mishap with fireworks leftover from New Year’s Eve. Even as she had done her best to stabilize to patient before sending him upstairs so that a surgical team could go to work, she already knew that this was one that was probably going to go into the loss column, whether or not the patient survived. She had seen how one his hands had looked like raw meat with bone fragments thrown in and his face had not looked much better. She understood that this was someone whose life was irrevocably altered regardless of her efforts. The whole episode brought unfortunate memories to the fore of events that had happened in Korea that she had wanted to keep buried.

Stepping out into the ambulance bay for some fresh air and leaning on a rail steel rail, Kiki felt the damp chill air of a late afternoon in January which caused her glasses to fog up the instant she stepped out of the stuffy interior of the hospital. The surgical scrubs and white lab coat that she was wearing did nothing to keep her warm, causing her to shiver. Recently the Hospital had switched from the traditional white scrubs to a blue-green color that was supposed to be easier on the eye and be less likely to create odd illusions when looking away from the color red. She was withholding judgement for now. Too many times in the past, Kiki had gotten the impression that Hospital Administrators made changes so they could feel like they were contributing more than they actually were.

This felt like one of those things.

It was raining with a strong wind blowing. There was a bit of slush on the pavement from when it had been snowing the night before which had mercifully melted off quickly this time. A few weeks earlier, the snow had stuck around for days, melting, and refreezing into sheets of ice overnight. It had made for a busy week in the Emergency Department as automotive accidents and precarious footing took their toll. You would think that people would be smart enough to stay home during icy conditions before the State could do something about it, but that was obviously not the case. Kiki noticed a bit of movement in the corner of her eye, she knew that it was her security detail. They had had gotten better at keeping their distance at moments when Kiki was in a foul mood like the one that she was in now, but she really wished that she didn’t need them.

It was then that an ambulance was backing into the bay. Kiki recognized the familiar markings of the JUH, Saint John Accident Aid, an organization that was affiliated Johanniter Order, which Kiki was a high-ranking member of as a Dame of Honor. She had found out that she had her cousin fudge the rules for her to get her that rank, he was able to leverage her conduct in Korea to do that. Now there was talk of making her a Dame of Justice and the last several new members inducted into the Order were from the Medical Profession.

It had been suggested that Kiki had made it fashionable for Doctors to join the Johanniter Order, she dreaded the thought that she had that sort of influence. She had seldom attended events put on by the Order and often she had needed to be pressured to show up by her father or older brother. There were also religious matters to consider. Zakhar, the Metropolitan of Germany who had replaced Simon after he had gone to lead the Russian Orthodox Church in Moscow, and Kiki had no idea what he thought of her being a member of a Protestant Chivalrous Order, or hopefully he simply didn’t know. She was in no hurry to have that conversation.

Where Simon had been relatively openminded, Zakhar was a fossil they had dug up from somewhere in the Russian Far East, the few times that Kiki had encountered him she had been reminded of accounts of Grigori Rasputin. It was incredibly obvious to Kiki that not all his cups were in the cupboard, but many in Berlin’s Russian Expatriate community thought that he had a direct line to God. She looked forward to the day that he could be locked away in the Psychiatric Ward and then Simon might send someone a little less off-putting to play that role.

The Driver of the Ambulance pulled the doors open and Kiki saw the green uniformed Paramedic in the back with the patient. The members of the FSR she had served with in the Medical Service were heavily recruited by the JUH, so it was no surprise that this man carried himself like a Paratrooper. He probably had been one before he had taken this as a civilian job. The patient was an older man, the pained expression on the part of his face that Kiki could see around the oxygen mask and some of his movements already suggested what was going on.

With a sigh, Kiki pulled the stethoscope from around her neck as she walked towards waiting ambulance. At least this one was in one piece and wasn’t bleeding.

“Possible myocardial infarction” The Paramedic said as Kiki approached. Then he started rattling off what he had done to treat it in the field as he had prepared the patient for transport.

“This one is too pretty to be a Doctor” The patient said, and Kiki did her best to not look annoyed. It was something she heard numerous times a day, at least he wasn’t saying that she was an angel like some of those worse off tended to do.

“I bet you assume that I am too young as well” Kiki said, “I will have you know that I got my medical license just last week from box of chocolates.”

“You remember which brand?” The patient asked, “I’d hate to think my Doctor got her license from the cheap stuff.”

“Only the best” Kiki replied.

The patient laughed at that, or at least he tried to.

Kiki might have been in a foul mood, but she still knew how to keep someone’s spirits up.

These days when you think of the color of surgical scrubs, what comes to mind actually has a name, Theater Blue. In my research I discovered that it dates back to the First World War and that it took off in popularity in the 1970's. So, of course, with Kiki working in a University Hospital she would be present when that changeover occurred.

Edit; Further research revealed that scrubs of this color do not require bleach to clean, so the color switch was also likely a cost cutting measure.

medical_team_performing_surgery_50981064.jpg

Last edited:
For Kiki she should be happy that she is not at an American "Gun and Knife Club" Emergency Room on a Friday or Saturday night then she would really know what a busy ER looks like.
Kiki also seems to me forgetting how she was treated by Dr. Ott the first time she helped out in an emergency situation.
The only way that her students are going to get better is that they actually get to do their jobs, it is that Kiki is so competent she has very little patience with anyone who is not up to her standards,
Kiki is the most prominent member of the Orthodox Church in Germany and her being a member of a prestigious Charitable Order even if it is a Protestant one, is not going to get any grief from the Metropolitan because his boss the Patriarch is going to tell him to back off because it is the best interest of the Church that Kiki is in the public eye doing good works and being an example to others.
In other words, she is St. Kristina: The Angel of Anju.

Recently one of the regular commentors on this timeline was banned which is something that I hate to see. While he could be argumentative and stubborn, I actually like being challenged. There were times when I considered throwing in an obvious anachronism in just to rock the boat, like say having the SMS Grindwal firing off a full spread of reverse engineered Type 93 "Long Lance" torpedoes with second-generation seeker heads and a nuclear warheads at an American Carrier Group as the crew is singing "Fucked with an Anchor" by Alestorm which doesn't come out in our timeline until 2017. As awesome as that would be, causing someone's head to explode wouldn't be nice, plus the whole Nuclear Armageddon/Mass Extinction thing would end the timeline on a major downer note.

While we have disagreements, please remember to always be kind to each other.

In the meantime. Everyone, from the top...

Fuck you, you're a bloody wanker
We're gonna punch you right in the balls
Fuck! You! With a fucking anchor
You're all cunts, so fuck you all
Go!

Last edited:
Part 133, Chapter 2275
Chapter Two Thousand Two Hundred Seventy-Five

2nd February 1974

Mitte, Berlin

It used to be that the entire country shut down on this day to mark the tragic events that had occurred thirty-five years earlier. The interest in that had waned over time and it had just become another day. Among Marie Alexandra’s earliest memories was the sudden jarring silence as the City of Berlin had marked the twentieth anniversary of the blast that had leveled the Reichstag building and had killed hundreds, it was hard to imagine that could happen now. Her mother had always been uncomfortable with the attention she received on this date and locked herself away from the public. Marie had other obligations as she accompanied the Imperial couple along with their children down to the monument in the Tiergarten dedicated to those who had lost their lives. In accordance with what had become tradition, Friedrich and Suga placed a wreath at the foot of the monument.

Marie couldn’t help but notice that there were other, half-forgotten monuments around. Dedicated to this or that national tragedy or war. Some, like the monument to the First World War, called the Great War on the monument itself which had become something of a sadly ironic joke in the years since, or the monument to the Soviet War, would probably remain important. However, there were monuments to the Second Schleswig War and the Seven Weeks War which they had walked past where Marie didn’t know any of the details beyond what was written on the plaques. It seemed that no one was still alive who knew what those conflicts had been about. The idea of war with Austria and Denmark seemed a bit absurd, now anyway.

Falling into step with Suga, Marie helped keep six-year-old Alexandrine and four-year-old Eduard moving in the same direction. Their older sister, Mirai, was a bit less inclined towards the rambunctious behavior of her siblings and she was walking next to Friedrich as they made their way back towards the car that would take them back to the Winter Residence. Mirai had told Marie that because she was about turn ten, she needed to be more serious. Though Suga probably would have been aghast, Marie had told Mirai that she had entirely too much of her life to act like an adult, so she should enjoy being a child while she could.

“At least it is sunny this year” Suga said in Japanese, “You remember how it was last year.”

That was true enough, the sun was out even if there wasn’t a whole lot of warmth in it. A year prior it had been snowing and there had been some doubt as to the travel arrangements to and from the Winter Residence.

“Just a reminder of how happy it will be once spring finally gets here” Marie replied in the same language. Her interest in languages had been one of the things that had led her to be appointed to be the current Kammerfräulein and inadvertently becoming the confidante of the Empress. That had also led to her being the most visible of her mother’s children. As far as the tabloids were concerned, Tatiana and Malcolm might as well be invisible. No notice was made of Josefine, Sophie, and Angelica though Marie’s parents had taken great pains for them to be treated like a part of their family. Though Marie strongly favored her father in appearance, everyone made a big deal about how she had the same rare combination of red hair and blue eyes as her mother.

“Spring” Suga said, seeming to savor the word. “Have you given any more thought about what you are going to do next year, at University?”

“No” Marie said without elaboration. She was expected to sit the Abitur, everyone had expectations about what she would do next but all she saw was the yawning chasm of the years ahead and was petrified. She didn’t have the first clue as to what she wanted to do with her life. Marie had overheard her mother and Petia talking about how she didn’t want to grow up, as if deciding on a course of study and taking an interest in boys was everything. It wasn’t that simple. She didn’t want to pick a course of study if that meant locking her life into something that she would come to hate and boys, she felt totally clueless about them at the best of times. Suga was the only one who she had tried to talk to about it when it had inadvertently become a topic of conversation.

“Not thinking about these things will not make them go away” Suga said, “I needed to put some distance between myself and my family to gain some perspective. Now your parents are nowhere near as bound by tradition as mine were, so I figure that you only need to ask them to help you in that regard.”

Marie walked with her hands shoved into the pockets of her coat trying to keep what she was feeling from being expressed on her face. Suga had no idea that for Marie talking to her mother about matters like these was absolutely terrifying. Here they were, walking away from a monument commemorating a tragic event where hundreds died, yet many more were saved due to the heroic actions of a young Katherine Mischner, Marie’s mother. Marie sincerely doubted that her mother had ever been hesitant about anything in her life, much less experienced what Marie was going through.

“I don’t know what to tell them” Marie replied.

Last edited:
And the legend of the Kat once again gets in the way of Katherine having a normal life, in her own mind at least should she ever learn of this. Frankly Maries being a teenager here, perfectly normal, and i'm kinda glad to see it.

What Marie needs is a "Catch-All" degree that allows her to pivot to any direction that she wants to go in.
In the United States that is usually Liberal Arts, but I don't know if that is a thing in Germany.
Marie with her talent for languages could consider a study in Communications as her current "job" with Empress Suga is becoming more and more in the public spotlight and at times may act as her translator in both private settings and at public appearances'
Marai needs to experience some of the patented brand of "Marie Fun" in order to be the ten-year-old girl that she is instead of the potential first Sovreign Empress of Germany.

What Marie needs is a "Catch-All" degree that allows her to pivot to any direction that she wants to go in.
In the United States that is usually Liberal Arts, but I don't know if that is a thing in Germany.

Honestly, best thing for her might be a gap year - get some kind of work experience, or just go on a long backpacking holiday around Vietnam.

Honestly, best thing for her might be a gap year - get some kind of work experience, or just go on a long backpacking holiday around Vietnam.
To be honest, I've been expecting her to end up as a stage helper and then onto stage director, etc in a theater group which would let her do costumes and props and such to her heart's content.

Actually, the answer for Marie is very simple. You only need to look a bit further afield, remembering whose daughter and granddaughter she is. What Suga said about distance and perspective most certainly applies, Montreal to be exact.

Marie with her talent for languages could consider a study in Communications as her current "job" with Empress Suga is becoming more and more in the public spotlight and at times may act as her translator in both private settings and at public appearances'
Marai needs to experience some of the patented brand of "Marie Fun" in order to be the ten-year-old girl that she is instead of the potential first Sovreign Empress of Germany.
There is a 'studium generale', but that one usually doesn't come with a degree. And it's damn rare.
The German university system also doesn't do the US major/minor thing, or studying without a declared specialty. (Well, you can do non-subject courses, but...) So no year to find your ground that way.

Marie - well, just from what we know I could see her in linguistics, translation or the studies of specific languages somewhere. Or at the equivalent of the Akademie Auswärtiger Dienst, aka the diplomat school. She's got the background and the language talent to get in.

Sometime later...

Marie: "I'm trying to tell you that I have NO IDEA what to do with my life!! Argh! Why do I bother, YOU'VE never hesitated about anything in your life"
Kat: "...<crickets>... Uhhh..."
Doug: "Umm... I would necessarily agree with you on that, Marie."
Petia: <Trying very hard not laugh or comment out of an extremely strong sense of self-preservation, while looking at anything else in the room>