Sir John Valentine Carden survives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaelic is really unlikely to be used, only the Seaforth's and Cameron Highlanders would have any meaningful number of Gaelic speaking recruits and even then the vast majority would be monolingual English (well sort of) speakers. Gaelic by this point was really confined to the islands and some small communities on the West Coast.

RecruitmentMapImproved.jpg
They could use Glaswegian which is virtually unintelligible to outsiders, speaking as a Greenockian.

Gaelic is really unlikely to be used, only the Seaforth's and Cameron Highlanders would have any meaningful number of Gaelic speaking recruits and even then the vast majority would be monolingual English (well sort of) speakers. Gaelic by this point was really confined to the islands and some small communities on the West Coast.

RecruitmentMapImproved.jpg
I didn't know that the Hairy Legged Irish were recruited from such a small area. Glasgow?
And looking at where the Gordons covered, I'm reminded about a certain McAuslan...

I didn't know that the Hairy Legged Irish were recruited from such a small area. Glasgow?
And looking at where the Gordons covered, I'm reminded about a certain McAuslan...
It may be a small area but there's a lot of Hell's Last Issue to recruit.

9th Highland Division's 26th Infantry brigade is 5th and 7th Seaforth Highlanders, and 5th Cameron Highlanders. Shouldn't be a problem.
Allan

9th Highland Division's 26th Infantry brigade is 5th and 7th Seaforth Highlanders, and 5th Cameron Highlanders. Shouldn't be a problem.
Allan
How many liaison officers would be needed for a corps consisting of SH and CH, Aussies, London regiments (esp. Cockney battalions) and Kings African Rifles? And for the Germans, how many different English speaking linguists be needed?

Has it occurred to anyone that OTL the 5th Battalion of the Border Regiment would be part of the 6th Infantry Division?
No one born outside the county can possibly understand a Cumbrian Accent.
(Its often considered to have crossed the line into dialect - especially as most Cumbrians appear to be perfectly capable of not using it.)

Depending on how much slang you toss in, Australian English could be nearly unintelligible too.
There is a clip around of Karen Gillan doing publicity for Jumanji. She and some other cast members were asked to identify Australian slang. A notoriously difficult task.
She did by far the best. Largely because of the common roots of Scottish and Australian slang.

Australian manages its incomprehensibility through multiply overloaded ironisation. You’d call your best mate something, and you’d call a stranger you disliked mate. But someone you genuinely disliked you’d wait forty minutes until they couldn’t remember you and king hit them from behind in a location without video cameras. And you’d use both words in all three cases using inflection or ironically used anti-inflection in context.

Back in the 1930s/40s there were similar inflective rules around irony combined with a dense ridiculous set of stereotyped metaphors, rhyming slangs and the like.

the problem is anyone who could do cockney could break Australian open as they used a lot of the same examples rules and systems.

As for learning Gaelic it is brutally difficult, so it wouldn’t be something the Germans would have much success with.
Hello,

There is...

Hindustani - basically smearing the difference between Hindi and Urdu,
From the little i heard the main difference is in the script as opposed to the spoken....but I am probably wrong........hearsay is not admissible
As I understand it, Hindustani was what the British tended to call Urdu. According to this, when the Mughals conquered Northern India, the language of the court was Persian, the native language of the conquerors was Arabic, but the language of the locals was considered either Hindi or Urdu depending on whether it used Sanskrit or Arabic characters. Over time Urdu diverged by incorporating more Arabic and Persian elements until it was considered distinct. It officially became the language of the Indian army after 1864.

Depending on how much slang you toss in, Australian English could be nearly unintelligible too.
If you want truly unintelligible you need to bring in the Tyneside Scottish.
I spent a summer working in Newcastle and had to resort to writing in order to communicate.
Supposedly during the Cold War American planes monitoring radio traffic in the North Atlantic looking for Soviet transmissions picked up something they thought must be a Russian code language. They brought it back and a team of cryptographers and linguists was brought together to crack it. Supposedly it took some time for them to realize they had picked up a couple of Newfie Fishermen talking between their boats.

Probably not a true story. But believable if you have ever spoken to a Newfoundlander.

Last edited:
Hello,

There is...
Gealic is a Celtic language, while Old English is a Germanic language. The two are different branches of the Indo-European language tree.

Supposedly during the Cold War American planes monitoring radio traffic in the North Atlantic looking for Soviet transmissions picked up something they thought must be a Russian code language. They brought it back and a team of cryptographers and linguists was brought together to crack it. Supposedly it took some time for them to realize they had picked up a couple of Newfie Fishermen talking between their boats.

Probably not a true story. But believable if you have ever spoken to a Newfoundlander.
My father used to work with a couple of Scottish guys, one of whom was from Aberdeen, and the only person in the entire company who could understand him (and thus, could translate for him) was a Glaswegian.

Last edited:
Gaelic (pronounced ‘Gallic’ in Scots) is used enough today to justify it’s own television channel.

In the late 1970s we recruited our signallers from Corby in Northamptonshire as only they could understand each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.