Ferdinand: The Last Emperor
"...increasing inability to maintain the rule of decree; Ferdinand angrily urged von Sturgkh to revoke his plans to hold elections in June of 1918 after the Second Congo Crisis erupted, fearing that Austria may have to mobilize to fight Germany on short notice; when the "War in Sight" Crisis passed without shots fired, Ferdinand nonetheless had elections in Cisleithnia postponed again, this time indefinitely, past September all the way into January of the following year.

Part of the reason was the increasingly sophisticated organization of groups such as the Young Czechs, led by Karel Kramar, or the even more radical Czech Progressives, under the leadership of the aging Tomas Masaryk and his young protege, Edvard Benes. Ferdinand was entirely convinced that if he allowed voters in Bohemia to head to the polls, they - along with Slovenes in Carniola - would vote in decisively nationalist and increasingly neo-Slavist parties. In theory, this was not something he was opposed to - a "third crown" had been an idea bandied about for years as a way to reduce Magyar power and make the Slavs the third leg of a "Triple Monarchy" - but the deteriorating political situation in Hungary, especially after the near-death of Karolyi in Zurich, made the pursuit of greater Slavic nationalism within the Habsburg Empire an impossibility.

This was met with fierce anger in Prague and other cities of Cisleithnia, where it was becoming increasingly clear that the Empire envisioned by Ferdinand was not the semi-pluralist if conservative polity of Franz Josef but rather a centralized entity with all power flowing increasingly from the Hofburg and a small coterie of advisors and, perhaps, sycophants. A crisis loomed, either internally or internationally, and the arrival of Prince Stephane Clement of Belgium to Vienna and his numerous ideas for how to pursue an aggressive, maximalist foreign policy seemed suddenly increasingly attractive to a beleaguered Ferdinand who saw a unifying war as a potential solution to his crisis of disunity..."

- Ferdinand: The Last Emperor

Last edited:
I suppose the real question is if anyone is in a good enough state to host an Olympics in 1922...was there a planned host at this point?
Planned host is Amsterdam, and considering their neutrality (and that of Britain, Ottomans, USA, Russia)… well, maybe. Depends where the frontlines of the war are at that point I suppose!

Excuse me what? Haha
It's been said to be rumored thay Carton de Wiart was secretly the bastard son of Leopold II. It's one of those things that is almost certainly 100% false but that makes its way around anyways. I mention it mostly because of TTL's... special relationship with the Belgian royals.

Planned host is Amsterdam, and considering their neutrality (and that of Britain, Ottomans, USA, Russia)… well, maybe. Depends where the frontlines of the war are at that point I suppose!
Gonna be darkly hilarious if the CSA is in better shape to send athletes than France or Belgium is despite being right next door.

and the arrival of Prince Stephane Clement of Belgium to Vienna and his numerous ideas for how to pursue an aggressive, maximalist foreign policy seemed suddenly increasingly attractive to a beleaguered Ferdinand who saw a unifying war as a potential solution to his crisis of disunity..."
Damn, remember when Ferdinand thought he could solve the crisis by himself. Wonder how views his naive and idealistic self from the past.

and the arrival of Prince Stephane Clement of Belgium to Vienna and his numerous ideas for how to pursue an aggressive, maximalist foreign policy seemed suddenly increasingly attractive to a beleaguered Ferdinand who saw a unifying war as a potential solution to his crisis of disunity..."
Ah, an external war to rally the populace, when has that gone wrong before?
Seriously though, Stephane Clement is an absolute moron in geopolitics.
So you are telling me CEW might last longer than GAW(3 years, 2 months)?

I mean it is a successful plan actually, there are just some exceptions, like the Falklands War, or like the Football War, or like the Ogaden War, or like…
(SultanArda is still counting the “exceptions” to this day)

I mean it is a successful plan actually, there are just some exceptions, like the Falklands War, or like the Football War, or like the Ogaden War, or like…
Ferdinand and Stephanie Clement when discussing going to war to get their pissed off population off their backs...

1712467003752.png

I’m not usually a violent person but, I really wish a stray bullet would have found Stephane while he was observing the Great American War.

I’m not usually a violent person but, I really wish a stray bullet would have found Stephane while he was observing the Great American War.
That would be a popular POD in TTL AH forum for sure.
My take is some sort of conflict is inevitable, France and Germany will come head to head eventually and AH is a powder keg that waited to explode, but without Stephane’s paranoia, Belgium have less reason to violate neutrality treaty, thus increasing its chance of survival in the long run.

So, one thought has increasingly come to mind for Germany as a greater power and the curtailment of it's ambitions after winning the central European war. Would the Austrian population accept German annexation easily?

By that it seems it's shaping to be similar to world war 1 if not a total war like recently fought in the Americas that will kill millions of people, would say the German population of the empire, even pan Germanists become loyal, quiet citizens of the German empire quickly or would it remain a hotspot of violence, local authorities demanding concessions and radicalism for years at least?

Likewise the integration process in Germany itself might present difficulties a long bloody war that ends in what seems to be a your sides victory granting them the same rights and freedoms as you might be a tad difficult to sell.

I don't mean to say it's impossible but rather than say Germany exalted by it's recent gains is a belligerent world power but rather more focused on digesting it's gains and trying to create a status quo makes other powers far more willing to accept it.

So, one thought has increasingly come to mind for Germany as a greater power and the curtailment of it's ambitions after winning the central European war. Would the Austrian population accept German annexation easily?

By that it seems it's shaping to be similar to world war 1 if not a total war like recently fought in the Americas that will kill millions of people, would say the German population of the empire, even pan Germanists become loyal, quiet citizens of the German empire quickly or would it remain a hotspot of violence, local authorities demanding concessions and radicalism for years at least?

Likewise the integration process in Germany itself might present difficulties a long bloody war that ends in what seems to be a your sides victory granting them the same rights and freedoms as you might be a tad difficult to sell.

I don't mean to say it's impossible but rather than say Germany exalted by it's recent gains is a belligerent world power but rather more focused on digesting it's gains and trying to create a status quo makes other powers far more willing to accept it.
Unlikely that Germany annexes Austria

It's been said to be rumored thay Carton de Wiart was secretly the bastard son of Leopold II. It's one of those things that is almost certainly 100% false but that makes its way around anyways. I mention it mostly because of TTL's... special relationship with the Belgian royals.
Ahhh I see. Well, i have a not to use him, somewhere, now, because how can I not? lol.
Gonna be darkly hilarious if the CSA is in better shape to send athletes than France or Belgium is despite being right next door.
It's honestly kind of amazing Antwerp in 1920 could turn around an Olympics just eighteen months after German occupation ended, and that the Entente's stance all along was "so long as Belgium is liberated by them, there will be a 1920 Summer Olympics."

Hence, my hesitation to cancel Amsterdam '22 outright.
Damn, remember when Ferdinand thought he could solve the crisis by himself. Wonder how views his naive and idealistic self from the past.
His overtures to Germany, while unsuccessful, were not necessarily foolish; it's just that his problems in Hungary don't really have a solution that he (and his Magyarphobia and massive ego) can accept.
Seriously though, Stephane Clement is an absolute moron in geopolitics.

So you are telling me CEW might last longer than GAW(3 years, 2 months)?
It'll be close. Definitely shorter than WW1, but not all combatants may be in for the same amount of time (also... like WW1)
Hehe.
Ferdinand and Stephanie Clement when discussing going to war to get their pissed off population off their backs...

View attachment 899523
Excellent meme deployment, sir!
That would be a popular POD in TTL AH forum for sure.
My take is some sort of conflict is inevitable, France and Germany will come head to head eventually and AH is a powder keg that waited to explode, but without Stephane’s paranoia, Belgium have less reason to violate neutrality treaty, thus increasing its chance of survival in the long run.
Indeed. Belgium's involvement is more chance and poor decisions than an inevitable showdown of strategic rivals.
The fact that a Belgian Prince is essentially responsible for the fall of Austria-Hungary is somewhat amusing....
Thank you!

Unlikely that Germany annexes Austria
This is one reason why, despite good arguments for it by many readers, I'm still very hesitant to go whole-hog on German absorbption of all of German-speaking Austria (they'll get part of it, and a not insubstantial part, but that's all I have planned for now). The conditions of them fighting as closely-tied allies against an external foe for four years, and German domination of Austrian military and civilian government by the end of the war, and the feeling of despair at the collapse of the Habsburg Empire in German Austria and the bitterness of the Allies refusing to allow an Anschluss in 1919... none of that is here.

Instead, here you have a proud Catholic Austria fighting a proud Lutheran Prussia in the age-old rivalry between Vienna and Berlin, and the war will sharpen some of the divisions between these polities. The Austrian identity won't be formed quite in the way that 1945's aftermath and the "need" to distance itself from Nazi Germany (I think the "original victim of Nazism" argument in Austria is total bunk, they were by and large willing and enthusiastic participants) did, but it will be formed in long and brutal years of war and while Pan-Germanism's lure will be strong, a grassroots desire to stay out of Germany will prevail much more here, in part due to German behavior and in part because...
@KingSweden24 Amazing work! And man it's painfully to see the proud habsburg empire collapse in itself
...the Habsburgs won't collapse entirely

This is one reason why, despite good arguments for it by many readers, I'm still very hesitant to go whole-hog on German absorbption of all of German-speaking Austria (they'll get part of it, and a not insubstantial part, but that's all I have planned for now). The conditions of them fighting as closely-tied allies against an external foe for four years, and German domination of Austrian military and civilian government by the end of the war, and the feeling of despair at the collapse of the Habsburg Empire in German Austria and the bitterness of the Allies refusing to allow an Anschluss in 1919... none of that is here.
The general problem of the postwar settlement is that, sure UK and Russia will need to be taken in consideration and in general the social and political situation of Germany and Austria is much different from OTL buuuut...both Rome and Berlin will need to get out of the war with something to show at their population and something of very important both strategically, economically and politically because well sure the CEW will not reach OTL WWI level but it seem it will be still extremely costly and brutal so the government will need to make it worthy otherwise they will not last for long