I'd argue it'd be hard to get Russia to that sort of theocratic state, as discussed above. But not impossible, especially if you have almost the entirety of the 20th century to very slowly tilt key factors to it. As it was OTL the Iranian Revolution resulting in the theocratic Shia state we know today was by no means inevitable and took a lot of factors playing out just right for it to happen.

And let's be honest, the slowly tilting of making those factors come together perfectly is exactly the sort of content that we love to see in a timeline. It's like cooking together a great meal and watching it slowly come together
Yeah, there’s a reason I’m not entirely sold on going Full Ayatollah with that kernel of an idea, and giving myself wiggle room to redirect. I do know though that I want to go in a different direction with Russia than “Tsar but liberal Westminster democracy” which is boring and doesn’t really understand what made Russia both of and not of Europe. It’s Eurasian character to me is more interesting than anything else, as is it’s Orthodoxy (I am myself of an Orthodox background)
As someone who's been cheering for the Democrats 1920 can't come soon enough!
It’s good to have things to look forward to! 🤪

Yeah, there’s a reason I’m not entirely sold on going Full Ayatollah with that kernel of an idea, and giving myself wiggle room to redirect. I do know though that I want to go in a different direction with Russia than “Tsar but liberal Westminster democracy” which is boring and doesn’t really understand what made Russia both of and not of Europe. It’s Eurasian character to me is more interesting than anything else, as is it’s Orthodoxy (I am myself of an Orthodox background)
You could always make Russia almost an OTL America parallel, though obviously far poorer - a strong executive detached from the legislature that nevertheless has power of the purse, plenty of religious folk, though often not of the most established type (think a growth in Rosicrucianism), and a worker's movement somewhat stymied by a rapid rise in living standards. There could also be a very wealthy Far East in Russia, as trade with Japan and China makes Vladivostok (I think that's Russian ITTL, right?) and even Irkutsk quite wealthy, all supplied by the almighty Trans-Siberian Railroad. The question to me is how exactly Russia gives rights to its minorities, if at all. Polish, Ukrainian, and Baltic national sentiment isn't going away, and I somehow doubt that the Tsar will adequately address this problem on his own. Central Asia might also become a problem, though it's notable that the first empire-wide democratic election in Russia was for the Grand Mufti of the Russian Empire.

America's Pastime: Baseball and Why We Love it
"...camaraderie of some of the best players of the day being on the same front lines as "the rest of us grunts;" this only further served to mythologize those who did not come back from the war, most famously 1913's National League statistical leaders Jake Daubert and Clifton "Cactus" Cravath, both lost on the fields of Middle Tennessee in the primes of their careers. The war had broken out just a month before the World Series was intended to start and while the leaders of both leagues on September 9th - the Athletics and Giants, respectively - were awarded their pennants, there would be no champion of baseball between the two leagues that autumn. Matters were worse the following year - no Major League games were officially played or sanctioned.

This was not without controversy. A number of commentators took the view that empty stadiums and no distractions from the horrors of war was bad for public morale, and that baseball was so key to the filament of the American culture that to cancel an entire season was unprecedented and unacceptable. Others made the opposite argument on the same premises - the Great American War was such an apocalyptic struggle that it needed America's full attention, and the cancellation of Major League Baseball underlined how serious the all-hands-on-deck approach to fighting the war society-wide was.

By the spring of 1915, though, a debate began again. The war was still raging but discussions about exhibitions began to trickle up. Two whole "years without baseball" seemed drastic. Finally, the American League announced in late May of 1915 that it would hold a dramatically curtailed season of 42 games, starting in August, in which each club would play a home-and-away three-game series against every other club in the AL. Days later, the NL owners were able to agree to such an arrangement as well. A variety of factors affected the decision to "bring baseball back" - the games were heavily marketed towards beleaguered factory workers as a way to relax after all their backbreaking work, soldiers on leave and discharged veterans attended for free with reserved front-row seats, [1] and that the majority of the proceeds of the games, either through gate receipts or rudimentary concessions [2], were to be donated to various relief organizations and war causes, in addition to the use of the games as a grand advertisement for buying United States government war bonds. This exhibitionary nature and its charitable allure persuaded enough owners to go along with it, and nobody wanted to be the owner accused of hoarding profits during a time of war when his colleagues were making sure to just break even. And thus, the abbreviated season of 1915 could be played, and the Red Sox, losers of the last World Series to be contested, defeated the crosstown Boston Braves 4-1 to win their first-ever World Series championship; Beantown ball fans still attest that the Sox winning in the dark of the Great American War and the "luck" of the city's large Irish fanbase is what has powered the club to its MLB-record 18 championships.

Of course, that is not to say that the home-and-away series season was not strange for all involved. The Sox, for instance, were missing the talented Confederate-born core of their 1912 American League Pennant-winning side, several of whom had perished at the Susquehanna, the Potomac, or at Nashville; stud Georgia-born Tigers center fielder Ty Cobb's leg had been blown off at the knee at the Battle of the Occoquan, ending his career just as it was reaching its apex. Several of the players were veterans who had been discharged due to injuries and were slow and hesitant at bat, running the bases or fielding, and the players were exclusively American or Canadian, with all Confederates banned from play, even ones who had not returned south to fight for their mother country, such as Joseph "Shoeless Joe" Jackson (this restriction would be lifted in 1917, though Jackson never quite forgave the American League for denying him the ability to play when he had consciously refused to bear arms against the United States). A great number of players in the shortened 1915 and 1916 seasons (in which thrice the number of games, a total of 126, were played) were not inexperienced rookies, most of whom would have been at the front, but rather aged veterans of the early 1900s and before, making the play in those years what spectators described as having a sloppy, haggard and off-kilter quality. Indeed, an entire generation of promising rising ballplayers were thought to have been lost alongside all the future lawyers, doctors, statesmen and artists who never returned home from the fields of Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Tennessee or Georgia. For this reason, many historians lump the abbreviated 1915 edition in as part of the "Years Without Baseball" because there was indeed little quality baseball to be seen.

But, still, in August of 1915 there were fans in the seats and the crack of a bat on the field again. Baseball had, in some small way, returned, but it - and the nature of professional sports in American in general - had been changed irrevocably by the catastrophic disasters of the mid-1910s..."

- America's Pastime: Baseball and Why We Love it

[1] This kind of "do it for the troops" attitude strikes me as fundamentally American and recognizable to today's readers
[2] I have no idea to what extent concessions were sold at Major League ballparks in 1913, for the record

You could always make Russia almost an OTL America parallel, though obviously far poorer - a strong executive detached from the legislature that nevertheless has power of the purse, plenty of religious folk, though often not of the most established type (think a growth in Rosicrucianism), and a worker's movement somewhat stymied by a rapid rise in living standards. There could also be a very wealthy Far East in Russia, as trade with Japan and China makes Vladivostok (I think that's Russian ITTL, right?) and even Irkutsk quite wealthy, all supplied by the almighty Trans-Siberian Railroad. The question to me is how exactly Russia gives rights to its minorities, if at all. Polish, Ukrainian, and Baltic national sentiment isn't going away, and I somehow doubt that the Tsar will adequately address this problem on his own. Central Asia might also become a problem, though it's notable that the first empire-wide democratic election in Russia was for the Grand Mufti of the Russian Empire.
That's not a bad spin. I've always been curious about a Russia where Siberia and the Far East (and yes, Vladivostok is definitely Russian ITTL - it even has a slightly larger hinterland) have the same cultural position in the Russian mind as the Wild West does for Americans.

At some point, Polish/Baltic/Finnish sentiment becomes hard to ignore, especially the first two since they don't enjoy the carveouts that Finland do as a "Grand Duchy." A personal union with Poland would be an obvious answer but may not be obvious to the Tsarist camarilla. Michael may be less authoritarian than his father, but by all accounts he was fairly naive and easily swayed; I've seen very mixed reviews, both strongly positive and sharply negative, on what kind of Tsar he'd have made. (@alexmilman is welcome to pop in here at any time as always to add context from a Russian perspective).

Ukraine can probably be somewhat more mollified within the Empire; I'll steer clear of present-day politics on that matter, but it took a lot, with the Holodomor a big part of it, and the context of the Soviet and post-Soviet relationship for Ukrainian nationalism to become what it is today. Somebody previously proposed in the OG thread that Ukraine could be something like Imperial Russia's Scotland, and I kinda like that. It'd probably be fairly Russified, particularly east of the Dnieper, and bear in mind that much of what is today western Ukraine is within Austrian Galicia or Bukovina ITTL as of 1915, but the Kyiv area would probably be quite culturally distinct.

I would maintain that Poland, Lithuania and Finland eventually become independent and the Baltics are a wild card; as of right now, my instinct is keeping Kyiv and its environs inside Russia, but Ukraine may have special rights compared to other parts.

Note, this also means that by April of 1917 that baseball owners will feel that they are in "Peacetime mode" (so at worst, either the peace treaty is being negotiated *or* the union army is trying to put down scraps of confederate forces)

Oddly, in World War II, MLB baseball was able to continue with out significant changes (Spring Training was moved north in 1943), it was the NFL that did things like combine teams.

That's not a bad spin. I've always been curious about a Russia where Siberia and the Far East (and yes, Vladivostok is definitely Russian ITTL - it even has a slightly larger hinterland) have the same cultural position in the Russian mind as the Wild West does for Americans.

At some point, Polish/Baltic/Finnish sentiment becomes hard to ignore, especially the first two since they don't enjoy the carveouts that Finland do as a "Grand Duchy." A personal union with Poland would be an obvious answer but may not be obvious to the Tsarist camarilla. Michael may be less authoritarian than his father, but by all accounts he was fairly naive and easily swayed; I've seen very mixed reviews, both strongly positive and sharply negative, on what kind of Tsar he'd have made. (@alexmilman is welcome to pop in here at any time as always to add context from a Russian perspective).

Ukraine can probably be somewhat more mollified within the Empire; I'll steer clear of present-day politics on that matter, but it took a lot, with the Holodomor a big part of it, and the context of the Soviet and post-Soviet relationship for Ukrainian nationalism to become what it is today. Somebody previously proposed in the OG thread that Ukraine could be something like Imperial Russia's Scotland, and I kinda like that. It'd probably be fairly Russified, particularly east of the Dnieper, and bear in mind that much of what is today western Ukraine is within Austrian Galicia or Bukovina ITTL as of 1915, but the Kyiv area would probably be quite culturally distinct.

I would maintain that Poland, Lithuania and Finland eventually become independent and the Baltics are a wild card; as of right now, my instinct is keeping Kyiv and its environs inside Russia, but Ukraine may have special rights compared to other parts.
Part of where this is wierd is that if the AH empire disintegrates, having grab Bohemia makes sense, Galicia makes little sense and Burkovina much less. (As I asked before, what is the situation with Romania and Bulgaria???) If the Ottomans still have them, then this TL may be more unique for creating a German/Ottoman border than for anything else!

Part of where this is wierd is that if the AH empire disintegrates, having grab Bohemia makes sense, Galicia makes little sense and Burkovina much less. (As I asked before, what is the situation with Romania and Bulgaria???) If the Ottomans still have them, then this TL may be more unique for creating a German/Ottoman border than for anything else!
From what I remember Romania is still independent and still is under the same dynasty as OTL but because the Ottomans won the war of 1877/78 Bulgaria is still entirely a province of the Ottoman Empire. Romania was recognized as independent because it was already effectively independent pre-1877.

Last edited:
Germany is going to have a very surgical strategy in how it approaches its war gains
From what I remember Romania is still independent and still is under the same dynasty as OTL but because the Ottomans won the war of 1877/78 Bulgaria is still entirely a province of the Ottoman Empire. Romania was recognized as independent because it was already effectively independent pre-1877.
This is correct

About the development of the Russian state, weirdly I think they might have similar issues to the Ottomans here, as in thanks to not facing the loses they did in the OTL they continue to invest in the regions they like or costal ones ie the Baltics and Crimea (it's like hmm Kashmir for the Raj for nobility ) and continue the deep neglect of well Russia excluding some areas like Moscow similar to how the Ottomans are going to neglect their Anatolian, Arab provinces. I would not be surprised if the Baltics, Ukraine ect are kept this continues and you see the rise of regionalists in Russia demanding well the state stop neglecting them.

That said, not disagreeing about Finland, but I do think depending on how things go it might look a bit different, the sudden separation from Russia while bad and WW1 wrecked the economy South Finland I think had a very strong link to Saint Petersburg, you know seasonal work, trading ect so I wonder if the split is not hostile here you could see the city gradually creep into the Finnish border if it keeps expanding.

Last edited:
[2] I have no idea to what extent concessions were sold at Major League ballparks in 1913, for the record
They were definitely around but with war time rationing, maybe not as many hotdogs (meat rations) and candied foods (sugar will be very expensive for the Union given their enemies and interruption of Caribbean trade). Since the CSA is separate, lemonade and nuts won't be the same culinary mainstreams north of the border, at least until California really ramps up its agriculture.

Popcorn and watered down beer?

Last edited:
They were definitely around but with war time rationing, maybe not as many hotdogs (meat rations) and candied foods (sugar will be very expensive for the Union given their enemies and interruption of Caribbean trade). Since the CSA is separate, lemonade and nuts won't be the same culinary mainstreams north of the border, at least until California really ramps up its agriculture.

With maple syrup.

About the development of the Russian state, weirdly I think they might have similar issues to the Ottomans here, as in thanks to not facing the loses they did in the OTL they continue to invest in the regions they like or costal ones ie the Baltics and Crimea (it's like hmm Kashmir for the Raj for nobility ) and continue the deep neglect of well Russia excluding some areas like Moscow similar to how the Ottomans are going to neglect their Anatolian, Arab provinces. I would not be surprised if the Baltics, Ukraine ect are kept this continues and you see the rise of regionalists in Russia demanding well the state stop neglecting them.

That said, not disagreeing about Finland, but I do think depending on how things go it might look a bit different, the sudden separation from Russia while bad and WW1 wrecked the economy South Finland I think had a very link to Saint Petersburg, you know seasonal work, trading ect so I wonder if the split is not hostile here you could see the city gradually creep into the Finnish border if it keeps expanding.
Like a Tijuana/San Diego situation, just at Vyborg? Perhaps…

Gotta be especially watered down so that those temperance prudes at the Grain Board don’t get any ideas again…
(Good point on the dynamic with the sugar/sweets trade)
With maple syrup.
*gags*

Like a Tijuana/San Diego situation, just at Vyborg? Perhaps…
Yep that works, that is if Finland leaving is not that hostile, always felt Saint Petersburg's/Finland have a dynamic often unexplored when the former almost has a bigger population than the later and people in South Finland looked for it for goods, place for work ect. Good analogy.

Edit Plus a strong demand for Finnish wood in the city as well.

Last edited:
Yep that works, that is if Finland leaving is not that hostile, always felt Saint Petersburg's/Finland have a dynamic often unexplored when the former almost has a bigger population than the later and people in South Finland looked for it for goods, place for work ect. Good analogy.

Edit Plus a strong demand for Finnish wood in the city as well.
Ah, that is very true… a larger St. Petersburg that stays the capital/entrepôt would have more people than the whole of Finland, which is in its hinterland!
jesus christ irene theyre called minerals
??

Heinrich’s wife was called Irene, but not sure what you’re referencing here