Charlotte
Jesus. Charlotte IOTL had 40,000 people at this time.

It was behind, at least, New Orleans, Atlanta, Richmond, Memphis, Nashville, Dallas, Houston, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, and Mobile.

I'm sure development patterns have shifted relative to OTL, but they've lost 8 of OTL's top ten. They apparently still hold Jacksonville and they do hold New Orleans.

Ain't gonna be any sort of stab in the back myth after this. They're lucky the US didn't just dismantle the whole edifice and peel off a New Africa in the Mississippi River Valley, an Appalachian state in TN, KY, and parts of AL and VA, and split off the Carolinas, Virginia, Florida, and Georgia as separate nations.

Republic Reborn
"...some disagreement; Garner finally declared solemnly that he would "concede" to Gore, and instead run for a position in the State House on the provision that he would earn the support of Rayburn to be the body's Speaker. As such, Gore faced only token opposition when Texas' electoral college gathered in Austin on September 12th, 1916, to elect the Republic's first permanent President.

The constitution of the Second Republic of Texas was still rudimentary; some features would soon be done away with, like the electoral college, while other features, like runoffs for Presidential and Congressional elections, were still a ways away, but the overall features of the political system that would last uninterrupted for the next fifty-four years can be seen. Much of the model of governance of the original Republic of Texas was returned in the new Constitution. There would be a hundred and fifty members of the Texas House of Representatives and, as a result, fifty Senators; the House would be elected annually to one-year terms, while Senators would serve rolling ten-year terms, and neither house was exposed to term limits. [1] This was not the case for the President, who was elected to a single, three-year term that was not immediately non-renewable, but in his victory address to the gathered electoral college, Gore promised that come 1922, when he again came eligible, "you shall not see my name put forth for reconsideration," and he explicitly hoped that he would set a "Washington precedent" in Presidents of Texas declining to return to office when the time came.

Plainly, this constitutional structure made the Presidency an extraordinarily weak office; one major additional difference to the prior Republic, too, was that there was no constitutional Vice Presidency, with the President of the Senate instead enjoying the first place in the line of succession and arguably being the most powerful figure, constitutionally. [2] This was in part why Garner was attracted to the office of Speaker of the House, and why Morris Shepherd gladly assumed the Presidency of the Texas Senate; for all the trappings Gore had in his office, he would be gone in three years, whereas they could govern Texas for at least another decade together if they so desired. This had the desired effect of, in the wake of the controversies of the Ferguson years, making Texas almost a pseudo-parliamentary system despite the trappings of Presidentialism from its Amero-Confederate heritage, and this did not go unnoticed amongst the other leaders of the Republican Party [3]; Rayburn eagerly slid into the role of Majority Leader for his longtime friend and mentor, while Johnson found himself limited in his ambitions as the executive Secretary of Public Education by ambitious legislators.

The election occurred nearly three months before inauguration on December 1st, 1916, by which time the war had almost entirely ended spare scattered skirmishes. Confederate positions around Galveston and Houston collapsed in late October and the evacuation across the Sabine included Ferguson himself, who would find himself in exile in Baton Rouge trying to organize a "Loyalist Texan" government there with the intent to attack the Republic and retake it, a problem that would fester for years to come even as his popularity wavered with Loyalists who blamed him for the debacle; by November 11th, the day that the Confederacy surrendered to the United States, Republican troops had secured the crossings of the Sabine and American forces had invested Shreveport for the first and only major land engagement in Louisiana. It was thus a fait accompli that by the time Gore took his oath of office on the first of December - almost a year to the day since the travesty at the Capitol that had triggered the revolution - he was doing it in a de facto free Texas, save for American occupiers across much of the north and west.

"The tree of liberty grows strongest here on the great Texan plain," he opened his address with, reciting it from memory due to his blindness. "And for the first time in seventy years, it grows under the flag of a free republic!"..."

- Republic Reborn

[1] This, along with the Presidential three-year term, is indeed how the Republic of Texas operated, and its so perfectly insane that I have to keep it
[2] Inspired by Texas' modern arrangement in which the Lieutenant Governor is absolutely the most powerful political figure in the state
[3] Irony of Garner, Rayburn, et al being "Republicans" not unintentional

Jesus. Charlotte IOTL had 40,000 people at this time.

It was behind, at least, New Orleans, Atlanta, Richmond, Memphis, Nashville, Dallas, Houston, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, and Mobile.

I'm sure development patterns have shifted relative to OTL, but they've lost 8 of OTL's top ten. They apparently still hold Jacksonville and they do hold New Orleans.

Ain't gonna be any sort of stab in the back myth after this. They're lucky the US didn't just dismantle the whole edifice and peel off a New Africa in the Mississippi River Valley, an Appalachian state in TN, KY, and parts of AL and VA, and split off the Carolinas, Virginia, Florida, and Georgia as separate nations.
Shit, yes, forgot Jacksonville! That is still technically Confederate though US forces in Savannah and Tally aren't that far, and its probably been badly damaged by a naval bombardment or two (or three).

Indeed, they are very lucky. It's been suggested to me a few times for the US to go Full Balkanization on the CSA similar to your hypothetical, but that'd be hard to enforce. In practical terms the CSA will be largely ungovernable for the rest of 1910s/most of the 1920s, anyway, so we're sort of headed to a soft version of this (and maybe somebody like Lodge will propose it just for laughs)

[1] This, along with the Presidential three-year term, is indeed how the Republic of Texas operated, and its so perfectly insane that I have to keep it
Oh my God this governmental structure is a complete shitshow - I love it so much. Sad that Texas doesn't just say fuck it and keep it going to the modern day but good news is we get 54 years of this fiasco of a government.

The Radical Republic
"...death on November 5, 1916, a mere six days before the end of the war in North America. Leandro Alem was not just a central figure in turn-of-century Argentina but was, as his protege Barroetavena was fond of saying, a "centrifugal" one - it was around him that the whole of the country and its politics orbited, organized around his principles that he imbued the Civic Union with and that he had successfully burrowed into every corner of Argentina's institutional tissue.

Before Alem, Argentina had lacked the stability of neighbors such as Chile and Brazil, beset by regionalism, the secession of Buenos Aires, deposed leaders and frequent new constitutions. It is ironic, then that his greatest legacy - the political stability of Argentina and its flourishing as South America's idealized democracy with its strongest economy and highest standard of living - came about from the great social revolt of the Revolution of the Park in 1890, seeing as Argentina has successfully elected Presidents and Congresses since that date with the only interruption to the full constitutional six-year term configuration since then coming from the early elections called in 2008 following the death of President Norberto la Porta. "Alemism" meant many things to many people, but to the people of Argentina today, it means something very straightforward: the system of rule of law, affluence and peace which their country enjoys..." [1]

- The Radical Republic

[1] This textbook is obviously more than a little pro-Alem, to say the least. But with that, we say goodbye to another major character of the TL in Argentina's "Padre de Patria"

I haven’t entirely settled on how this issue is eventually forced (and I don’t want to plagiarize myself with another Huele a Quemado scenario haha) but it’s eventually going to become a major thorn in US-Nicaraguan relations, yes
There's lots of wiggle room between "Torrijos-Carter-esque treaty gives it to Nicaragua peacefully" (the US had very real reasons to accede to doing this, even if there was a contingent that was extremely dead-set on absolutely refusing to do anything, although I should note a fair few of these were archconservative Southerners who will not get a say ITTL, though then again IIRC a few people who might've been against the treaty were for it on the basis of not wanting to agree with Strom Thurmond on something so who knows) and "Rumsfeldian intransigence leads to all this blowing up in the US's face."
Local warlo- errr, I mean state governors and theater level military officers
Mexico: First time?
[2] Inspired by Texas' modern arrangement in which the Lieutenant Governor is absolutely the most powerful political figure in the state
There's nothing quite like Texas crazy, man.
and maybe somebody like Lodge will propose it just for laughs
Once again, SecState proves that it's the office where Lodge can do the least harm, but also not no harm (unfortunately).
Which, I've been reading up on TR lately and stumbled upon the fact he and Lodge were friends IOTL. How'd that go ITTL, with the differing partisan affiliations?

Shit, yes, forgot Jacksonville! That is still technically Confederate though US forces in Savannah and Tally aren't that far, and its probably been badly damaged by a naval bombardment or two (or three).

Indeed, they are very lucky. It's been suggested to me a few times for the US to go Full Balkanization on the CSA similar to your hypothetical, but that'd be hard to enforce. In practical terms the CSA will be largely ungovernable for the rest of 1910s/most of the 1920s, anyway, so we're sort of headed to a soft version of this (and maybe somebody like Lodge will propose it just for laughs)
I know it's not your intention here, and after 50+ of being unified in an independent CSA it would be unlikely to stick, but I'm personally fascinated by the concept of a balkanized American South.

There are broad similarities, but as you've already shown in Texas those aren't as deep as a lot of southern nationalists like to pretend. The "Midlands" already feel pretty distinct from the deep south and tidewater, and southern Louisiana is distinct from that. Potentially Florida as well but I don't know if you've gotten into the demography of Florida ittl.

There are a number of linguistic, religious, and cultural fault lines across the region that otl and ttl largely got papered over with white supremacist and anti-federal ideology. Remove or lessen the importance of those and you have a MUCH less unified south.

Last edited:
Oh my God this governmental structure is a complete shitshow - I love it so much. Sad that Texas doesn't just say fuck it and keep it going to the modern day but good news is we get 54 years of this fiasco of a government.
Glad I’m not the only one who finds it supremely entertaining!
There's lots of wiggle room between "Torrijos-Carter-esque treaty gives it to Nicaragua peacefully" (the US had very real reasons to accede to doing this, even if there was a contingent that was extremely dead-set on absolutely refusing to do anything, although I should note a fair few of these were archconservative Southerners who will not get a say ITTL, though then again IIRC a few people who might've been against the treaty were for it on the basis of not wanting to agree with Strom Thurmond on something so who knows) and "Rumsfeldian intransigence leads to all this blowing up in the US's face."

Mexico: First time?

There's nothing quite like Texas crazy, man.

Once again, SecState proves that it's the office where Lodge can do the least harm, but also not no harm (unfortunately).
Which, I've been reading up on TR lately and stumbled upon the fact he and Lodge were friends IOTL. How'd that go ITTL, with the differing partisan affiliations?
Indeed, absolutely agree - good news is, plenty of time to decide haha

Well; they of course wouldn’t be friends here, since their friendship was predicated on said partisan affiliation. As in TTL, Lodge also didn’t play nice with a lot of senior GOP figures in Teddy’s circle, either - John Hay loathed him, for instance
I know it's not your intention here, and after 50+ of being unified in an independent CSA it would be unlikely to stick, but I'm personally fascinated by the concept of a balkanized American South.

There are broad similarities, but as you've already shown in Texas those aren't as deep as a lot of southern nationalists like to pretend. The "Midlands" already feel pretty distinct from the deep south and tidewater, and southern Louisiana is distinct from that. Potentially Florida as well but I don't know if you've gotten into the demography of Florida ittl.

There are a number of linguistic, religious, and cultural fault lines across the region that otl and ttl largely got papered over with white supremacist and anti-federal ideology. Remove or lessen the importance of those and you have a MUCH less unified south.
I haven’t touched on Florida too much, no.

I would be very interested in seeing such a TL - you’re right on both counts that that’s not quite what I’m going for and also that a Tl where the CSA Balkanizes would be hugely fascinating. If anyone has done one, or is planning on doing one, I’ll certainly be there to read it.

Who's to say that Republic Reborn wasn't written in 1970 (54 years after independence)? ;)
Glad I’m not the only one who finds it supremely entertaining!
Ditto (as I find everything about the collapse of the South supremely entertaining!).

that'd be hard to enforce.
Would it, though?

The fault lines between Texas, the Deep South, the Atlantic Seaboard states, Appalachia, and Florida were quite clear IOTL between 1860 and 1960, and that was, as the other poster noted, with a shared dislike of the Federal government and shared project in Jim Crow papering over the cracks.

Without that, and with how badly the Confederate political establishment, both wings, bungled this... I think it'd be relatively doable to trade a light hand in TN and KY for an "uncoerced" secession from the CSA, to ethnically cleanse the shit out of the nearly-majority black Mississippi River Valley and dump those people in AL and FL, and shatter the Atlantic into its constituent states. And with smaller states comes the possibility of allowing them to redevelop their economies and industry because they're no military threat.

Anyway, I understand it's not going to happen, I just think the TTL reasoning should be "one puppet government to 'negotiate with' whether we want cheap cotton from the Carolinas, cheap sugar from Florida, or cheap tobacco from Virginia," not "we can't do that, it'd be too hard."

It's, as earlier noted, just not understood at this point that a group of smaller but industrialized and wealthy trade partners in a trade union is going to produce a better outcome for the American people by 1930 than a single poor puppet state with a primary-sector economy.

Fuck, Germany still doesn't understand that today, FFS.

Where are you getting 54 years?
Here
The constitution of the Second Republic of Texas was still rudimentary; some features would soon be done away with, like the electoral college, while other features, like runoffs for Presidential and Congressional elections, were still a ways away, but the overall features of the political system that would last uninterrupted for the next fifty-four years can be seen.
(Emphasis mine)

Hopefully that just means the adoption of a new constitution and the birth of the Third Republic of Texas.

I’m still keen on the idea of America establishing a buffer state somewhere.

Would it, though?

The fault lines between Texas, the Deep South, the Atlantic Seaboard states, Appalachia, and Florida were quite clear IOTL between 1860 and 1960, and that was, as the other poster noted, with a shared dislike of the Federal government and shared project in Jim Crow papering over the cracks.

Without that, and with how badly the Confederate political establishment, both wings, bungled this... I think it'd be relatively doable to trade a light hand in TN and KY for an "uncoerced" secession from the CSA, to ethnically cleanse the shit out of the nearly-majority black Mississippi River Valley and dump those people in AL and FL, and shatter the Atlantic into its constituent states. And with smaller states comes the possibility of allowing them to redevelop their economies and industry because they're no military threat.

Anyway, I understand it's not going to happen, I just think the TTL reasoning should be "one puppet government to 'negotiate with' whether we want cheap cotton from the Carolinas, cheap sugar from Florida, or cheap tobacco from Virginia," not "we can't do that, it'd be too hard."

It's, as earlier noted, just not understood at this point that a group of smaller but industrialized and wealthy trade partners in a trade union is going to produce a better outcome for the American people by 1930 than a single poor puppet state with a primary-sector economy.

Fuck, Germany still doesn't understand that today, FFS.
This, plus expediency to get a treaty signed so the Root administration can declare the war won and over (“Mission Accomplished”, if you will…) is definitely more the TTL motivation, absolutely! Haha. Foresight will not be the Root admin’s strong suit and as you say, that kind of proactive thinking wasn’t common in diplomatic circles in that day anyways.

And, yes, very well said in Germany!
Hopefully that just means the adoption of a new constitution and the birth of the Third Republic of Texas.

I’m still keen on the idea of America establishing a buffer state somewhere.
That's how I read it too - not the end of the nation itself but rather a new constitution that streamlines everything politically.
This is more or less the idea - at least a hard enough shift of the constitutional structure that you’d consider it a “Third Republic,” in the manner of the many “republics” in France or South Korea that are nonetheless the same country

You said that the Confederacy is going to be “ungovernable” for a while after the end of the war. I take this as meaning that much of the country would be warlords paying lip service to the national government?

It would be interesting to read about the Confederate Warlord period. An interesting idea is that the weakened national government might stay in Charlotte for the Warlord Period in the 10’s/20’s. It feels logical given that the “emergency capital” is set to be the last city completely secured by the national government.

You said that the Confederacy is going to be “ungovernable” for a while after the end of the war. I take this as meaning that much of the country would be warlords paying lip service to the national government?

It would be interesting to read about the Confederate Warlord period. An interesting idea is that the weakened national government might stay in Charlotte for the Warlord Period in the 10’s/20’s. It feels logical given that the “emergency capital” is set to be the last city completely secured by the national government.
That’s basically the implication, yeah. We’ll have a lot of content in the 10s/20s around that matter

And I’m definitely tempted to just leave the capital in Charlotte long term, tbh, even though Richmond survived the worst of the violence (at least compared to, say, Atlanta, Nashville or Charleston) though that’d probably require some retconning of previous posts told from present day, I’m sure