I will perhaps have a butterfly that Alexander II was more successful in his industrialization efforts, or that perhaps Tsar Nicholas II got slapped back to reality after losing simultaneously to Japan AND India.
Just have Nicholas get killed in Japan.
instant wank right there.

With a bit less luck here!
illustrations-related-to-the-%C5%8Dtsu-incident-the-%C5%8Dtsu-v0-kbq0m954uwt81.jpg

It seems that the Germans had mobilised a total of 11m people from their roughly 60m - 64m people. So around 17%. They were scraping the bottom of the barrel at that point. Let's assume India just mobilises 10% of its population of around 400m, that's 40m soldiers. Total entente mobilisation OTL is 39m to put that in to perspective, and a total of 19m for the central powers. Here's a link for the numbers involved in WW1. Only limitation of India not being able to filed such an army is if they lack the industrial might to equip and supply that army and to transport them to where the fighting is.

On the other hand, only way I can see Madagascar surviving is if you nerf indian navy. It is monumentally shortsighted of its leaders if they were masters of the indian ocean and not have a powerful navy but weirder things have happened.

It seems that the Germans had mobilised a total of 11m people from their roughly 60m - 64m people. So around 17%. They were scraping the bottom of the barrel at that point. Let's assume India just mobilises 10% of its population of around 400m, that's 40m soldiers. Total entente mobilisation OTL is 39m to put that in to perspective, and a total of 19m for the central powers. Here's a link for the numbers involved in WW1. Only limitation of India not being able to filed such an army is if they lack the industrial might to equip and supply that army and to transport them to where the fighting is.
The entirety of the Entente's mobilized manpower was 39 million!? I thought it would be higher, but maybe that's just me. And here of course, Britain doesn't have the British Raj to tap manpower from. Meaning Entente numbers will probably be less, unless the USA picks up the slack or if other powers get involved. So India ALONE manages to match the entirety of the Entente's manpower. Damn, that's just OP as hell.

On the other hand, only way I can see Madagascar surviving is if you nerf indian navy. It is monumentally shortsighted of its leaders if they were masters of the indian ocean and not have a powerful navy but weirder things have happened.
Well, India's Navy got to monitor the Indian Ocean, which is expansive & huge, so they're stretched. And though they're powerful, even they can only do so much. If Madagascar manages to have some luck, good skill, and support of the rest of the Entente's navies (which are huge) then they could pull off a stalemate, or even victory.

BTW, thanks for the link. That helps a LOT!!

@Gentian1707

Damn, that's just OP as hell.
Imagine India being able to mobilize 17% of the population like Germany in ww1 lol. That's 68m people which is more than the entire WW1 armies of all who were involved. Quite OP. Imo their main issue will be how to move that army to where they need to go. So yeah, logistics.

Imagine India being able to mobilize 17% of the population like Germany in ww1 lol. That's 68m people which is more than the entire WW1 armies of all who were involved. Quite OP. Imo their main issue will be how to move that army to where they need to go. So yeah, logistics.
Aight. I've had it all planned out (for the most part). Now, it's time to write!

@Gentian1707

The shots heard 'round the world...
The escalating tensions between the Great Powers in the early 20th century set the stage for a conflict of unprecedented scale and destruction. The First and Second Balkan Wars had already brought Europe to the brink of crisis. The Entente, comprising France, the Russian Empire, Serbia, Portugal, and the UK, faced off against the Central Powers, including Germany, Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire, India, and Ethiopia, in a tense standoff that threatened to erupt into all-out war.

Amidst the growing hostilities, the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary in 1914 served as the catalyst for the outbreak of World War I. The Indian Confederation, situated at the crossroads of European rivalries and colonial tensions, saw an opportunity to address long-standing grievances and assert its power globally.

Led by the decisive leadership of Consul Jindan Kaur, the Indian government seized the moment. With Russia entering a "period preparatory to war," Indian forces swiftly mobilized, catching the Russian troops on the border of Afghanistan off guard. The joint Indo-Afghan soldiers made major headway, gaining kilometers of land before the Russian Empire managed to stop them.

As Britain's subsequent declaration of war on Germany happened, Jindan Kaur wasted no time in declaring war on the British and ordering the implementation of the War Plan against British Burma. The invasion of Burma commenced. Simultaneously, in Africa, Indo-Ethiopian forces found themselves on the defensive against British colonial troops on the border of British Sudan. Despite initial setbacks and the loss of ground, the Indian-led forces managed to halt the British advance, inflicting heavy casualties on the British colonial troops.

The outbreak of war galvanized the Indian populace, with millions of volunteers flocking to join the Indian Armed Forces. The sheer enthusiasm of the volunteers made conscription unnecessary in the early stages of the conflict, with a staggering 35-40 million volunteering to enlist. Recognizing that there would be major logistical challenges with having a 40 million strong army, India only mobilized around 5-10 million soldiers, and ordered the rest to go back to working on the war economy, although they were kept on notice if their service was needed. With only 5-10 million mobilized, the Indian Confederation was able to ensure that its armed forces were adequately supplied and equipped for the brutal war ahead.

With the opening shots of World War I fired, the world braced itself for a conflict that would reshape the course of history...

Last edited:
Failure of the Schlieffen Plan
In the opening stages of World War I, Germany executed its Schlieffen Plan, a bold and ambitious strategy aimed at achieving a swift victory by quickly defeating France before turning its attention to the Eastern Front. Central to this plan was the invasion of Belgium. Despite Belgium's fierce and brave resistance, German forces made rapid advances.

One significant aspect of Germany's initial successes was the strategic deployment of Indian-designed artillery and innovative war tactics. The Indian-designed artillery, known for its precision and firepower, played a pivotal role in weakening Entente positions before German infantry launched attacks. This strategic use of artillery allowed German forces to target vulnerable points in the Entente lines, inflicting substantial damage.

However, despite Germany's artillery advantage and early victories, their advance was halted at the Battle of the Marne. But the Entente's success at the Marne was not due to strategic brilliance, nor even German mistakes, but rather owed much to the willingness of the Entente High Command to sacrifice insane number of soldiers to stop the German onslaught. Over a million soldiers on the Entente side were killed in the Battle of the Marne. Portuguese troops played a crucial role in stemming the German tide. The Portuguese Expeditionary Force paid a major price in blood, with nearly a quarter of its strength gone fighting on the Marne.

It was only the beginning days of WWI, and yet the callousness of military leadership on both sides was shown. The Battle of the Marne, with its staggering casualties, foreshadowed the grim realities of trench warfare and the protracted conflict that would ensue.

The Fight against the Tsarists
In World War I, the Eastern Front witnessed a series of intense battles that shaped the course of the conflict in the region. The Central Powers experienced a mix of successes and setbacks.

One of the key engagements on the Eastern Front was the Battle of Tannenberg,. Led by Paul von Hindenburg and Erich Ludendorff, German forces successfully halted the Russian offensive into East Prussia, inflicting significant losses on the advancing Russian army. The Battle of Tannenberg marked a decisive victory for Germany, as they managed to repel the Russian invasion and prevent a potentially catastrophic defeat on their home soil.

Despite the German victory at Tannenberg, the Russians managed to avert an outright disaster, preventing the battle from becoming a catastrophic defeat. However, their losses were still staggering, with nearly three-quarters of one field army decimated and being removed entirely out of East Prussia. While the outcome was not as catastrophic as it could have been for Russia, the Battle of Tannenberg dealt a significant blow to Russian morale and military capabilities in the early stages of the war.

However, the Russians faced better news in Galicia. Led by General Alexei Brusilov, the Russian forces made significant gains in Galicia, causing the Austrian defenses to crumble and yielding more territory. One crucial factor contributing to the Russian success was the espionage work of Alfred Redl, an Austrian officer who had passed sensitive military information to the Russians, including details about Austrian fortifications and war plans and maneuvering. Armed with this intelligence, the Russian army was able to exploit weaknesses in the Austrian defenses and execute strategic maneuvers with precision.

As the Galician Offensive progressed, Austria-Hungary found itself on the brink, having lost control over territory to the advancing Russians. The situation became so dire that Germany was forced to divert troops to bolster Austria-Hungary's defenses, much to the chagrin of Kaiser Wilhelm II. The need to shore up their ally strained Germany's military resources and diverted attention from other strategic objectives.

By the conclusion of the Galician Offensive, Austria-Hungary had suffered significant territorial losses, with large portions of Galicia falling under Russian control. General Alexei Brusilov's leadership and the effective utilization of intelligence gathered by Austrian traitor Alfred Redl played key roles in the Russian success. Brusilov earned accolades from the Russian Tsar in the aftermath.

Ottomans desperately fighting for survival
The Ottoman Empire, facing attacks from both the British and the Russian Empire, found itself in a precarious position as World War I unfolded. The Ottoman attempt to launch an offensive to capture the Suez Canal was met with failure, leading to territorial losses and increased vulnerability.

In truth, the Ottoman offensive to seize the Suez Canal was not just futile but unnecessary, as India's control over Yemen and the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait already hindered British access to the region anyway.

Recognizing the strategic importance of the Ottoman Empire, Consul Jindan Kaur of India took decisive action, dispatching troops to the Middle East to assist their Ottoman ally against British and Russian encroachments. Arriving at the port of Aden, Indian forces were swiftly deployed northward to reinforce Ottoman positions against the British.

Meanwhile, British offensives against the Ottomans from British Kuwait and the Persian Gulf were thwarted by the leadership of Mustafa Kemal Pasha. His strategic brilliance and tactical acumen earned him widespread admiration and acclaim, solidifying his status as a hero across the Ottoman Empire.

Using the Sultanate of Oman as their base of operations, India deployed its vast navy. With this blockade, they cut off the reinforcements and supplies that the British forces needed. This left them vulnerable and isolated.

The Royal Navy's attempt to break through the Indian blockade in what became known as the Battle of the Persian Gulf ended in a decisive victory for the Indian Navy. The annihilation of the Royal Navy assets in the Persian Gulf served as a major propaganda victory for the Central Powers, boosting morale and confidence. Kaiser Wilhelm II himself reportedly expressed elation at the news and sent a telegram congratulating India for its triumph.

Russia also remained an issue for the Ottomans. The Battle of Sarikamish resulted in a catastrophic defeat for the Ottomans. Russian forces, under the command of General Nikolai Yudenich, decisively routed the Ottoman army, inflicting heavy casualties and capturing vast swathes of territory. The defeat dealt a severe blow to Ottoman morale.

The Tsar's ill-fated decision to visit recently captured Armenian territories proved to be a grave miscalculation. In a misguided attempt to rally support from the Armenian population, the Tsar promised them a "glorious future" under Russian rule. However, this promise only fueled resentment and suspicion among Ottoman authorities.

The Ottoman leadership, seeking a convenient scapegoat for their military setbacks and internal challenges, seized upon the Tsar's promise to the Armenians as evidence of Armenian collaboration with the enemy. Propaganda campaigns and incendiary rhetoric began to vilify the Armenian community, portraying them as traitors and conspirators working against the Ottoman state. Fueled by suspicions and accusations, Ottoman authorities initiated a campaign of repression and mass deportations targeting Armenian civilians. The Armenian Tragedy, as it would later come to be known, marked the beginning of a dark chapter in history, characterized by widespread atrocities and systematic efforts to eradicate the Armenian population.

As the conflict continued to unfold, the Armenian Tragedy would become a symbol of the horrors of war and the tragic consequences of geopolitical ambitions colliding with human lives.

Last edited:
International Reactions to the Armenian Tragedy
The reactions to the Armenian Tragedy, both within the Entente and Central Powers, were varied.

Among the Entente powers, mainly Russia, Britain, and France, there was a severe condemnation of the Ottoman Empire's actions. They denounced the Ottomans as savages and inhumane, accusing them of inflicting brutality against the Armenians. The Russian Empire, in particular, vowed to hold those responsible for the genocide on trial and promised to ensure their execution. The United States, though officially neutral in the conflict so far, was influenced by the journalist reports of Armenian suffering and joined in the condemnation against the Ottoman Empire.

In contrast, the reactions within the Central Powers, particularly Germany and Austria-Hungary, were characterized by indifference and denial. Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany downplayed reports of Armenian killings, dismissing them as propaganda orchestrated by the Entente powers to to tarnish the reputation of the Ottoman Empire and undermine the Central Powers' war efforts.

Similarly, Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria-Hungary downplayed the significance of the Armenian Tragedy, likening it to legitimate "police action" taken to suppress internal dissent. He argued that the Ottomans were justified in taking measures to combat what they perceived as an existential threat. He likened it to actions taken by his own empire to quell Pan-Slavic sentiment in Bosnia and downplayed its severity, and blamed the Entente for exaggerating the situation.

India, under the leadership of Consul Jindan Kaur, navigated a delicate balance in its response to the Armenian Tragedy. While refraining from outright public denouncement of the Ottomans, Jindan Kaur expressed her displeasure to the Ottomans via diplomatic conversations, though it was driven more by pragmatism than moral outrage.

India's involvement in the war was framed, by the Confederal Government, as a righteous struggle against the Entente's imperialism and oppression. However, if reports came out about these killings, it would tarnish the perception of the war as a just and noble endeavor. These reports would erode public support for the conflict, leading to disillusionment and unrest. This, in turn, could undermine recruitment efforts, weaken morale among the troops on the front lines, and even spark anti-war protests on the Home Front.

Recognizing the importance of optics and public perception, Jindan Kaur brokered a deal with the Ottomans to spare Armenian lives by facilitating their deportation to India. This agreement, though it did not end the killing entirely, saved thousands from a far worse fate and mitigated some fallout from the Armenian Tragedy.

Okay, so here is an FYI:

I wanted to cover the Armenian Genocide (or as it is called here in this TL, the Armenian Tragedy). I want a nuanced take on WWI, not a romanticized one. I want to cover the brutal realities of the war, for it to be more realistic. So I will not refrain from covering such topics, even if you may find them uncomfortable.

It's essential to acknowledge the brutal realities and ugly details of war, including (but not limited to) atrocities like the Armenian Genocide. I want a more authentic and gritty portrayal of World War I in my timeline, because I feel it will add more depth and realism. So yes, I will be covering (or try to cover as much as I can) about atrocities and the brutal realities faced by both soldiers and civilians, as well as the chemical warfare, the mass casualties, and the political machinations.

War, by its nature, is often brutal and devastating, and it's important to acknowledge and explore the darker aspects of conflict alongside the more heroic or triumphant narratives.

While it may be uncomfortable to confront these darker aspects, it's important to acknowledge them, so that we can learn from them, and also, never again repeat them.

I understand that these topics are sensitive ones. I promise that I will handle these topics with care and respect that they deserve. I do not intend to hurt or offend anyone by writing about these topics. I hope you loyal readers can understand, and I hope the mods can understand this too.

Sincerely,

-LeonardWood6

@Gentian1707 , @TimTurner , @Aluma , @Leonidas , @sarsenapati , @Harshavardhana , @CalBear , @Mitridates the Great , @Brahman , @CountofDooku @Miyako

All the recent chapters on WW1 so far has been quite good. I have not studied WW1 and WW2 in detail and my research in to the subject matter is quite here and there. So I can't comment on OTL great wars in a holistic way. I can say one thing though, your TL is readable and I have not found any glaring issues as of yet. I can add a comment on the Indian mobilisation though, which is related to our previous discussion on this that, mobilisation of 40m troops at the start may not be necessary. Will it be better to make mobilization to come in waves as the war progress over the years? Maybe around 5m to 10m initially followed by how many Indian confederation needs to as the war goes on. This way, those people can actually contribute to war economy until they are needed in the front lines.

Regarding the genocide topic in TLs, it's best to introduce story and not conclusions and let the reader decide if that constitutes a genocide or not. I'm not easily triggered by things so I may not be the best to comment on this.

I can add a comment on the Indian mobilisation though, which is related to our previous discussion on this that, mobilisation of 40m troops at the start may not be necessary. Will it be better to make mobilization to come in waves as the war progress over the years? Maybe around 5m to 10m initially followed by how many Indian confederation needs to as the war goes on. This way, those people can actually contribute to war economy until they are needed in the front lines.
Okay, I see. Yeah, I'll go change that.