Red Sky

Redbeard

Banned
Michael said:
What if the sky were red, rather then blue? No other changes, just a blood red sky

Well, a lot of lyrics/poetry would need some rewriting.

A lot of philosophy and religions would focus on the sky and blood being the same colour. I hate to think about all the myths about how the sky got red and the annual reenactments in the temples.

RAF would not be clad in bluegrey, but scarlet, and the oceans and navy uniforms would be green-brownish instead of blue.

Could I please have back the blue sky?

Regards

Steffen REDbeard (but with BLUE eyes)

For the sky to be red, there needs to be more nitrogen in the atmosphere to distort the visible EM spectrum enough. The seas would appear red also.

Animals may have developed eyes with greater sensitivity to hue changes in the reds and maybe more sensitivity into the infared.

The overall red tint to air and water would probably tend to make all things look more reddish than they do in bluish light.

Redbeard's idea about the religious symolism of red and possible creative uses for blood are well taken.

Hapsburg

Banned
we'd all choke and die from excess nitrous oxide...
either that, or become nitrogen-based lifeforms...

Just a few things about nitrogen. First of all it's inert. In other words you can't live off it. It needs another gas, in our case oxygen, in order for a nitrogen atmosphere to support life.

And that's the other thing. Earth really has a nitrogen atmosphere as nitrogen accounts for 78% of it. Oxygen accounts for only 21% (so we call it a nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere). So how much more nitrogen do you actually want, considering the large amount we breath already?

If the atmosphere were pure nitrogen, it wouldn't poison us, but we would suffocate, just due to lack of oxygen.

Othniel said:
We breathe that in large amounts. It does nothing. In fact Nitrates help plants grow, the soil would be extremely fertile.

Except the nitrogen would have to be mixed with something else like potassium or sulphur

I know you said nitrates, but I was trying to point out that if you have pure nitrogen nothing would happen as nitrogen itself is inert.

DMA said:
I know you said nitrates, but I was trying to point out that if you have pure nitrogen nothing would happen as nitrogen itself is inert.
But saying nitrates immplies that it is a chemical compound, not just nitrogen.

Othniel said:
But saying nitrates immplies that it is a chemical compound, not just nitrogen.

I'm not arguing that point. Far more importantly, there are some posters here that aren't aware of such things.

Hapsburg:

I think maybe you were counfusing Nitrous Oxide with Nitric Oxide.

Nitric Oxide is NO.

Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) is N2O.

I have no idea what N3O is.

To my knowledge, besides Nitric Oxide, the major poisonous gases are Chlorine, Methane, Carbon Monoxide, Carbon Dioxide (in high enough amounts), and Ammonia. Nitrogen and noble gases like Aragon, Neon, etc are safe to breathe at any concentration, provided there is enough oxygen in them.

Edit: There is no easy way to make the sky red, as it is blue due to Rayleigh scattering, which is too complicated to explain quickly here (essentially, transparent air, no matter the components, will scatter light and appear blue). The only ways to change this are either to change the spectra of the sun, add a partially opaque gas like chlorine, or (easiest way) to have tons and tons of dust and other particulate matter in the atmosphere.

Mars' atmosphere is actually not pink, BTW, unless there is a dust-storm. It's basically as blue as Earth's.

Straha

Banned
isn't nitrous oxide laughing gas? loading the atmosphere with THAT would lead to minor butterflies like say... NO LIFE EVOLVING ON EARTH or... NO HUMANITY EVOLVING BECAUSE OF BUTTERFLIES

eschaton said:
Edit: There is no easy way to make the sky red, as it is blue due to Rayleigh scattering, which is too complicated to explain quickly here (essentially, transparent air, no matter the components, will scatter light and appear blue). The only ways to change this are either to change the spectra of the sun, add a partially opaque gas like chlorine, or (easiest way) to have tons and tons of dust and other particulate matter in the atmosphere.

Mars' atmosphere is actually not pink, BTW, unless there is a dust-storm. It's basically as blue as Earth's.

You could also fiddle with the ozone layer to change the sky colour. And/or have a substancial increase in methane gas in the atmosphere. Hence Titan has an orange sky...