One Thousand Years - A Collabrative TL

This will all end in tears, I just know it :).

Anyway, the purpose of this TL, like Glen's XXth Century TL and those which have followed it, is to create a collaborative timeline stretching from 1001 to 2001. The format will follow Arkhan's 50 years, with Month/DD/Year: as the format, though unlike 50 years, the Month and Day are optional for the first several centuries or so. Obviously nothing ASB should be posted, and the Butterfly effect will be in place. A map will be posted at the end of each century. Now then, let's get the ball rolling:

1001: On his way to his third wedding, Robert II Capet falls from his horse and dies. He is succeeded by his uncle, Odo Henry of Burgundy, who becomes Eudes I.

Last edited:
Gee, other collaborative TLs usually have a dozen entries by this point. Oh well, guess I can't give up yet.

1001: English forces defeat the Danes at Alton in Hampshire.

1002: Epidemic doesn't hit the Viking colony of Vinland. I'll help try to get this thread going...

1003: French invasion of Burgundy a success.

Both interesting, but let's try and stay away from overused Medieval cliches. Say, Vinland is still abandoned, but in the 1020s, or it just remains a curiosity to Europe like Greenland. Now then, let's continue

1002: Eudes I dies, ending the line of Robertian Capets. After a brief struggle, Richard the Good of Normandy is crowned King of the Franks

1004: Richard I of France convinces Rudolph III of Burgundy to acknowledge Otto William, Count of Burgundy as his heir

1002: Otto III of the HRE dies. Ezzo of Lotharingia succeeds him.

1002: Athelread the Unready marries Emma, sister of King Richard I of France

1004: Ezzo I is crowned Holy Roman Emperor at Pavia. An argument between the Germans and the Pavese is diffused before anything major happens.

1004: Sweyn I is beaten by Athelread at Norwich.

1005: Kenneth III defeats Malcolm the Destroyer at Monzievard.

Okay, so far we have Norman dominated France, England driving back the Danes, and the Salian family failing to come to power in the HRE, which could butterfly into better Papal-Imperial relations - or worsen them, depending on how things work out, as well as a marginally more succesful Vinland. Anybody else have any ideas?

For the record, this is how the timeline will look in completed format:

-On his way to his third wedding, Robert II Capet falls from his horse and dies. He is succeeded by his uncle, Odo Henry of Burgundy, who becomes Eudes I.

-English forces defeat the Danes at Alton in Hampshire.

-Eudes I dies, ending the line of Robertian Capets. After a brief struggle, Richard the Good of Normandy is crowned King of the Franks

-Otto III of the HRE dies. Ezzo of Lotharingia succeeds him.

-Athelread the Unready marries Emma, sister of King Richard I of France

-The Vinlanders have a perfectly healthy year

- The Franko-Norman invasion of Burgundy proves to be a success.

-Richard I of France convinces Rudolph III of Burgundy to acknowledge Otto William, Count of Burgundy as his heir

-Ezzo I is crowned Holy Roman Emperor at Pavia. An argument between the Germans and the Pavese is diffused before anything major happens.

-Sweyn I is beaten by Athelread at Norwich.

-Kenneth III defeats Malcolm the Destroyer at Monzievard.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Bumping this thread

Not a criticism, but how collaborative is it when you beat down the only contribution so far ?

Regarding Vinland, it doesn't matter if its a cliche - no epidemic means a surviving Viking colony, cross-Atlantic trade but when the Little Ice Age comes, it may end up abandoned anyway, but its memory will not be vague, but definite, and Vinland will be known to be across the water waiting for better shiips and more adventurous peoples to go and find

This could skew exploration down the line Northwards, meaning that it is not the West Indies which are discovered first, but the N American continent

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

1004- The Empress Helena contracts a cold and dies. Her heartbroken husband Constantine, brother and co-Emperor of Basil II, takes a second wife, by the named of Eudoxia.

1006- Eudoxia delivers Constantine a son, named Romanus after Constantine's father, thus ensuring a male heir for the Macedonian dynasty.

1008- The Empress Eudoxia falls pregnant again, this time with a daughter named Theophano after Constantine's mother.

Not a criticism, but how collaborative is it when you beat down the only contribution so far ?

Regarding Vinland, it doesn't matter if its a cliche - no epidemic means a surviving Viking colony, cross-Atlantic trade but when the Little Ice Age comes, it may end up abandoned anyway, but its memory will not be vague, but definite, and Vinland will be known to be across the water waiting for better shiips and more adventurous peoples to go and find

This could skew exploration down the line Northwards, meaning that it is not the West Indies which are discovered first, but the N American continent

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Beat down the only contribution? I don't understand what you mean. If I offended Commandant Sprangler then I apologize, because that wasn't my intent.

1004- The Empress Helena contracts a cold and dies. Her heartbroken husband Constantine, brother and co-Emperor of Basil II, takes a second wife, by the named of Eudoxia.

1006- Eudoxia delivers Constantine a son, named Romanus after Constantine's father, thus ensuring a male heir for the Macedonian dynasty.

1008- The Empress Eudoxia falls pregnant again, this time with a daughter named Theophano after Constantine's mother.

Interesting. This could prevent the chaotic times between Basil II and Alexius I. I say could, since anything could happen down the line. But still, good work.

1009-Aliens invade Earth. In the course of six months all major cities on Earth are captured. Most monarchs on Earth are taken prisoner.

Why not it's if history had gone different.

As stated at the top of this thread, no ASB material will be allowed. You're new here, so I'll explain.

ASB stands for Alien Space Bat, a catch-all term for anything that requires a handwave to happen before the modern day - magic, superheroes, time travel, nations that crush all resistance without any repercussions, and, of course, aliens. Your entry violates that by having aliens conquer the Earth, so it will not be allowed. Sorry.

As stated at the top of this thread, no ASB material will be allowed. You're new here, so I'll explain.

ASB stands for Alien Space Bat, a catch-all term for anything that requires a handwave to happen before the modern day - magic, superheroes, time travel, nations that crush all resistance without any repercussions, and, of course, aliens. Your entry violates that by having aliens conquer the Earth, so it will not be allowed. Sorry.

Aliens are scientifically considered probable to exist.