Of lost monkeys and broken vehicles

I don't remember but have the Greeks in TTL decided on a heavy cruiser yet? Can they even get some after TTL's 2nd London Naval treaty which IIRC had the US, the UK & France agree to a maximum limit of 8000 tons with up to 6.1" guns for cruisers? If the Greeks are limited to modest sized light cruisers by TTL's 2nd London Naval treaty then what are they're options?

Last edited:
I have a feeling that there's no way Greece will survive the coming war without getting occupied by Italy/Turkey/Bulgaria/Germany until they get liberated later on, but they're definitely going to be putting up a damn good fight
Only ITTL with a much more capable Hellenic Navy and Airforce Crete will not fall.

If on the other hand the THK did not get 30 Hurricanes, 40 MS-406s and 3 Spitfires but by the same token Yugoslavia never got 73 Bf-109Es either... Leaving aside Yugoslav politics there is a reasonable case to be made that if Germany has a fixed amount of arms exports, and has to choose between Turkey and some other country, Turkey would be getting preference in deliveries for a combination of economic (chrome), political and ideological (the Nazi/German right hero worship of Kemal) over most potential customers.
I can see a few issues with turkish chrome. Firstly, a fair deal of the already explored deposits lie in the former Italian Caria. I think that at least half of the OTL production is now controlled by an italian company, even though the province has returned to Turkey. Would Benny allow the only italian-controlled source of chrome to export to Germant instead of feeding the italian industry? I guess some of the production can end up in Germany but the majority would be exported to Italy. I doubt Kemal would break with Italy over such an issue. After all, Italy is a much more important ally against Greece compared to Germany (at least until the Fall of France).

At the same time, in OTL Germany imported 11,500 and 14,00 tons of chrome ore from Greece in 1937 and 1938 respectively, I doubt that greek chrome exports will be that big in TTL. Turkey would be hard pressed to export as much as in OTL, nevermind covering the OTL greek ore. So, the importance of Yugoslavia as a chrome exporter (albeit smaller than Turkey) is enhanced in TTL. It is worth mentioning that the OTL increase of the yugoslav chrome ore production was due to german investments. Moreover, Yugoslavia was a main exporter of manganese, copper and bauxite, resources equally significant for the german war industry.

Overall, I think Yugoslavia is at least as important as Turkey when it comes to strategic ores. Then there are other interests at play in Yugoslavia, such as the interests of the viennese banks in the economy of the former AH part of the country. Overall, the Germans would have to export either machinery or weapons to Yugoslavia.

Of course the reverse is also true. If France for example can spare exporting 70 105mm guns who's most likely to take precedence in deliveries Greece or Lithuania? (which in OTL bought 70 Mle1934).
I know it is a rhetorical question, but I will answer regardless: Greece. If we add the OTL 12 105mm guns that ended up in Turkey, there can be 82 guns in total. Nothing to sneeze at.

Lets say that they have a problem with the Ottoman Public Debt (they most certainly do BTW, just like they had in OTL). Lets further contemplate that they decide to stop servicing it. Who is holding most of said debt? France and Britain. Now lets hypothetically assume that the Turkish government decides to stop serving said debt. Lets make it funnier and say it stops serving the French and British parts of it "why the Italians and Germans accept being paid through clearing agreements if you also did payments of the debt in Turkish liras would have continued! It's your fault!". What is Turkey going to lose? The French and British won't give new loans to it? They have not given any anyway. They won't export arms to Turkey? But Turkey in not buying arms from them at the moment. Other British and French exports will be hampered and Turkey will need to import industrial products from Germany which is already giving Turkish trade prefferential treatment (as Schlacht also did OTL)? Oh wait...
France and Britain can cause harm to the turkish economy and trade. To quote from "The ill-made alliance":

Because of their impossible financial position, after 1936 the Turks were increasingly being driven to transactions of doubtful financial wisdom in order to meet their foreign exchange obligations. By February 1936 the Turkish clearing with France was blocked to such an extent that it was becoming useless. It was cleared by the simple expedient of a German delivery of coal to France, the value of which was credited to the Turkish clearing in Paris, and the German clearing in Ankara. In January 1937 this expedient was once again resorted to in order to service the 1934 loan for the repatriation of the Smyrna-Cassabe railroad. It would be hard to imagine a more economically and politically damaging transaction. France was in effect financing German imports from Turkey.
The French can mess up the german-turkish trade if the debt payment is frozen. The Allies can also ruin the exchange rate of the lira, making turkish trade problematic with anyone other than Germany. And Germany cannot simply absorb all the turkish trade.

Other than the above, indeed the Allies can do very little else in the case of a turkish suspension of payments.

I don't remember but have the Greeks in TTL decided on a heavy cruiser yet? Can they even get some after TTL's 2nd London Naval treaty which IIRC had the US, the UK & France agree to a maximum limit of 8000 tons with up to 6.1" guns for cruisers? If the Greeks are limited to modest sized light cruisers by TTL's 2nd London Naval treaty then what are they're options?
They ordered a pair of Brooklyn class derivatives from the United States back in 1935 with the express purpose of making the order ahead of the treaty. Which accidentally cost about a year's worth of Greek exports to the United States. Effectively Wichita class but with slight differences in the armour scheme (5in belt like Brooklyn but 80mm deck armour) and weapons (12x5in much reduced/no aircraft facilities) and somewhat shorter range to fit into Mediterranean conditions.

A note on Turkish chrome production
I can see a few issues with turkish chrome. Firstly, a fair deal of the already explored deposits lie in the former Italian Caria. I think that at least half of the OTL production is now controlled by an italian company, even though the province has returned to Turkey. Would Benny allow the only italian-controlled source of chrome to export to Germant instead of feeding the italian industry? I guess some of the production can end up in Germany but the majority would be exported to Italy. I doubt Kemal would break with Italy over such an issue. After all, Italy is a much more important ally against Greece compared to Germany (at least until the Fall of France).

At the same time, in OTL Germany imported 11,500 and 14,00 tons of chrome ore from Greece in 1937 and 1938 respectively, I doubt that greek chrome exports will be that big in TTL. Turkey would be hard pressed to export as much as in OTL, nevermind covering the OTL greek ore. So, the importance of Yugoslavia as a chrome exporter (albeit smaller than Turkey) is enhanced in TTL. It is worth mentioning that the OTL increase of the yugoslav chrome ore production was due to german investments. Moreover, Yugoslavia was a main exporter of manganese, copper and bauxite, resources equally significant for the german war industry.

Overall, I think Yugoslavia is at least as important as Turkey when it comes to strategic ores. Then there are other interests at play in Yugoslavia, such as the interests of the viennese banks in the economy of the former AH part of the country. Overall, the Germans would have to export either machinery or weapons to Yugoslavia.

I'm not entirely certain. Germany's chrome consumption in 1938 from the third link was 190,000t a year in 1938, French 40,000t and Soviet 220,000t. Now per Mitchell (European Historical Statistics 1750-1993) German steel production in 1938 was 22,656,000t, French 6,137,000t and Soviet 18,057,000t. Italian steel production was 2,323,000t. The analogy is probably not entirely accurate but this should put Italian chrome requirements between 15,000t and 28,000t per year, call it ~20,000t if you use German consumption as a benchmark. Turkey in 1938 produced 213,630t of chrome. If half of that is produced in the Mugla area mines it is roughly 4 to 7 times more than Italy can consume. Something in the order of 79-92,000t of chrome would need to be exported elsewhere and the most likely candidates here are the United States which needed something in the order of 750,000t a year when all of the Americas produced barely a fraction nearly all of it in Cuba (again from Mitchell) and Germany... I note that in OTL the Germans imported 66,000t of chrome from Turkey in 1936, the peak year before 1939 when they imported 96,000t up to the start of the war. The other big source of German chromium was ironically enough none other than the British empire, South Africa to be exact. A good situation certainly for the Italian shareholders of the Mugla mines but not one where Germany will not be getting its chromium... although TTL this means Mussolini is also politically benefiting from this if Germany gets a significant fraction of her chrome through Italian interests in Turkey.

Which brings us also to German imports of chromium from Greece and Yugoslavia. In 1938 Greece produced 52,620t of which 14,000t went to Germany and Yugoslavia 59,932t of which 12,700t went to Germany. TTL both would be even more concerned over economic dependency to Germany when in the reverse unlike OTL Turkey would be rather less concerned. If both the Greek and Yugoslav exports go to the US, it creates a deficit of about 27,000t to the Germans, who would need to import about 80,000t from Turkey. If Turkish exports had not been reduced in January-August 1938 to about half the rate of the rest of the year they'd have reached 75,000t in 1938.

The tables below are from THE SINEWS OF WAR: TURKEY, CHROMITE, AND THE SECOND WORLD WAR by Aaron Ranck, Bilkent university, they provide an interesting picture both for world chrome production and for the Greek and Turkish role in US chromite imports which is usually overlooked before... tobacco.

1618682107612.png

1618682908306.png

I know it is a rhetorical question, but I will answer regardless: Greece. If we add the OTL 12 105mm guns that ended up in Turkey, there can be 82 guns in total. Nothing to sneeze at.
No comment on actual numbers...
France and Britain can cause harm to the turkish economy and trade. To quote from "The ill-made alliance":

The French can mess up the german-turkish trade if the debt payment is frozen. The Allies can also ruin the exchange rate of the lira, making turkish trade problematic with anyone other than Germany. And Germany cannot simply absorb all the turkish trade.
The quotation on the French clearing doesn't look entirely promising. The French ended being paid up with German coal as the writer correctly says effectively subsidizing German imports from Turkey. The real question here is... in half the Turkish foreign trade in OTL depended on Germany how much of it depends on Germany TTL? Between a smaller Turkish economy, the prime Turkish exports to Germany being largely unchanged and the lost Turkish exports like Smyrna tobacco going mostly elsewhere the TTL figure could well be upwards of 70%.

I didn't know that Cyprus had chromium deposits let alone ones that they were exploited..huh the more you know i guess..on the hand with more tobbaco exports to the US and the UK could greece buy some radio equipment from Britain or the US?

Possibly. After all the Mistral Major was quite widely licenced around Europe. Then Pulawski personally preferred inline engines and also Greece was a good trade balance with the United States and has been paying her war loans to the US hence licencing R1830 is an obvious alternative.
An engine factory in Greece would have been a major advantage. And it could be a superb investment opportunity. I guess Romania will also purchase/ license produce PZL P.24s and those would need engines as well. I think there is a possibility to see Yugoslavia instead of OTL Turkey becoming a major P.24 user as well, considering the closer ties between the interwar Balkan Entente. So there are potential customers other than the HAF.

If R1830s are produced in Greece, then there is a great incentive to buy Martin Marylands instead of Blenheims. The obvious advatange would be that the Marylands would keep arriving in 1939 as the british aircraft industry has to give priority to the RAF rearmament. Likewise, I think there is a possibility of ordering Wildcats earlier than in OTL.

In any case, the presence of an aero angine factory would increase substantially the sortie rates and availability of HAF aircraft.

I didn't know that Cyprus had chromium deposits let alone ones that they were exploited..huh the more you know i guess..on the hand with more tobbaco exports to the US and the UK could greece buy some radio equipment from Britain or the US?
The only year that Cyprus produced any meaningful quantity of chrome ore was in 1938. I guess the deposits were small and not worth the hassle, but the rearmament before WW2 made them short-term viable.

I think there may be important butterflies in AA artillery as well. In APril 1932 the Greek Army bought 4 (that's right just four) Bofors 80mm AA guns. Neither the quantity nor the caliber make much sense. If anything, a 75mm caliber that is already used by the French. Greece had a clearing agreement with Sweden already in place. In TTL were there is existential danger earlier on and with better finances, I think it is possible to have a large AA gun order placed in Sweden early on. At the very least, the OTL 39 german 88s could have become 40 Bofors 75mm. Likewise, the 57 (or 74) german 37s could become Bofors 40mm.

In OTL Turkey exported tobacco to Sweden as well. So, with Asiatic Greece in play, the greek exports to Sweden could be significantly larger, thus allowing a larger AA gun order.

Lastly, during the war scare of 1935-1936, I wonder whether getting old french 75mm AA guns would be worth it and if France would have been willing to depart with some of those.

Firstly I would like to thank both @Lascaris and @X Oristos for their knowledge sharing here!

Secondly there was a post about TTL WW2 and Greece's occupation. I would like to say that we don't know about the war enough yet. maybe the French get their shit together and stand for longer TTL, maybe the Greco-Italian war ,or better said third Balkan War here, sparks sooner with the Italian occupation of Albania and that leads to either o faster Greek victory which which readies not only them but the whole Balkan Entente to a big war but also cuts of Bulgaria and Turkey as threats. Or the war is a stalemate and again all sides are mobilized and Yugoslavia doesn't fall like OTL but resists for longer. Either way Greece could viably make a stand in the Olympus-Pindus line for a long time and keep the Asia part rather safe due to previous fortifications. We could see the war of OTL North Africa waged in the Balkans TTL but it all depends of how Lascaris wills it.
On the destruction part well OTL Greece was either way thoroughly devastated so that is the low bar although TTL they have far more to lose really.

Not only greece has more to lose ittl but greece if is occupied will be occupied by four powers one of Which (Germany) will try to loot everything in greece and two of them (Bulgaria and turkey) will commit mass killings if not outright genocide in the case of Turkey...and then on top of that Italy..if that is not an nightmare scenario i don't know what is

On the destruction part well OTL Greece was either way thoroughly devastated so that is the low bar although TTL they have far more to lose really.
Not only greece has more to lose ittl but greece if is occupied will be occupied by four powers one of Which (Germany) will try to loot everything in greece and two of them (Bulgaria and turkey) will commit mass killings if not outright genocide in the case of Turkey...and then on top of that Italy..if that is not an nightmare scenario i don't know what is
I think the only deterrence against the continuation of the ottoman genocides would be the threat of aerial bombing of turkish cities. I am not sure if the British would be willing to threat with use of chemicals weapons if signs of a greek genocide emerged. It could work, but I am not sure the British would risk threatening like that.

Either way Greece could viably make a stand in the Olympus-Pindus line for a long time and keep the Asia part rather safe due to previous fortifications. We could see the war of OTL North Africa waged in the Balkans TTL but it all depends of how Lascaris wills it.
Well, without Papagos and a fascist clique of germanophile defeatists, the Staff will be much more rational compated to OTL. A rational staff will operate under the assumption that geography provides multiple lines of defence. First Olympus-Pindus, then Thermopylae then the Corinth Canal.

Is it cheating if I post this link?
Granted the circumstances are very very different in this timeline.

An engine factory in Greece would have been a major advantage. And it could be a superb investment opportunity. I guess Romania will also purchase/ license produce PZL P.24s and those would need engines as well. I think there is a possibility to see Yugoslavia instead of OTL Turkey becoming a major P.24 user as well, considering the closer ties between the interwar Balkan Entente. So there are potential customers other than the HAF.
The Romanians were licence producing Mistral major at the time, that's the engine that powered IAR-80. So in principle licence producing engines shouldn't be beyond Greek industrial capacity.

If R1830s are produced in Greece, then there is a great incentive to buy Martin Marylands instead of Blenheims. The obvious advatange would be that the Marylands would keep arriving in 1939 as the british aircraft industry has to give priority to the RAF rearmament. Likewise, I think there is a possibility of ordering Wildcats earlier than in OTL.
There were two Greek bomber programs in OTL. The first one for a light bomber which was won by Blenheim and resulted... in Potez 63 being ordered with a Blenheim order following. The second program was for a medium bomber. Which was by LeO.45 with PZL P.37 coming behind it. The Greeks actually ordered the French plane only to find out the French could not deliver...

I think there may be important butterflies in AA artillery as well. In APril 1932 the Greek Army bought 4 (that's right just four) Bofors 80mm AA guns. Neither the quantity nor the caliber make much sense. If anything, a 75mm caliber that is already used by the French. Greece had a clearing agreement with Sweden already in place. In TTL were there is existential danger earlier on and with better finances, I think it is possible to have a large AA gun order placed in Sweden early on. At the very least, the OTL 39 german 88s could have become 40 Bofors 75mm. Likewise, the 57 (or 74) german 37s could become Bofors 40mm.
The Greeks also ordered 40mm Bofors in OTL for use with the navy. And Hazemayer fire contol from the Netherlands for their new destroyers. Speaking of heavy AA I'll only note that back in 1932 the bought more than 4 guns.

In OTL Turkey exported tobacco to Sweden as well. So, with Asiatic Greece in play, the greek exports to Sweden could be significantly larger, thus allowing a larger AA gun order.
So did Greece, 1747t in OTL 1939 worth about 536,000t

Firstly I would like to thank both @Lascaris and @X Oristos for their knowledge sharing here!

Secondly there was a post about TTL WW2 and Greece's occupation. I would like to say that we don't know about the war enough yet. maybe the French get their shit together and stand for longer TTL, maybe the Greco-Italian war ,or better said third Balkan War here, sparks sooner with the Italian occupation of Albania and that leads to either o faster Greek victory which which readies not only them but the whole Balkan Entente to a big war but also cuts of Bulgaria and Turkey as threats. Or the war is a stalemate and again all sides are mobilized and Yugoslavia doesn't fall like OTL but resists for longer. Either way Greece could viably make a stand in the Olympus-Pindus line for a long time and keep the Asia part rather safe due to previous fortifications. We could see the war of OTL North Africa waged in the Balkans TTL but it all depends of how Lascaris wills it.
If Greece, Bulgaria and Turkey get in the war and Greece or part of Greece are occupied, the OTL Bulgarian occupation of Eastern Macedonia may be a good example of what might be anticipated. In OTL people were trying to leave the Bulgarian zone to get to the German zone of occupation...

A repeat of 1914-22 would be certainly in the cards. With the added fun of course that after 2 decades the Turkish occupiers would be dealing with a heavily armed rural population that has little to lose. Back in East Macedonia just Fosteridis Pontians counted some 3,000 guerillas, aside from ELAS guerillas. Multiply by an order of magnitude in Asiatic Greece.

I think the only deterrence against the continuation of the ottoman genocides would be the threat of aerial bombing of turkish cities. I am not sure if the British would be willing to threat with use of chemicals weapons if signs of a greek genocide emerged. It could work, but I am not sure the British would risk threatening like that.
Did allied governments threaten the Germans over the treatment of their own civilians? Of course in the case of the Soviets it was already war to the knife both ways and the Poles were only a government in exile. Besides if Turkey finds itself at war against the allies bombing of Turkish cities can be taken for granted.

Well, without Papagos and a fascist clique of germanophile defeatists, the Staff will be much more rational compated to OTL. A rational staff will operate under the assumption that geography provides multiple lines of defence. First Olympus-Pindus, then Thermopylae then the Corinth Canal.
I wouldn't go that far but Papagos certainly clung to not pulling back from Albania far longer than he should. Had he pulled back in time he could have had 9 Greek and 2 British divisions in the Olympus, plus smaller units like the Greek cavalry division and the XIX division, with another 10 divisions facing the Italians further west. Having roughly a quarter million troops defending the Olympus line... why at a minimum the Germans would know they'd been in a fight.

So did Greece, 1747t in OTL 1939 worth about 536,000t
Certainly Greece exported more tobacco than Turey to Sweden. In 1934 Greece exported a bit more than 3 times the turkish exports. But even so, it seems that in TTL Greece has the opportunity to have an even better trade balance with Sweden, with lets say 20 or 30% more exports. At the same time, the main imports from Sweden were paper and timber. Now I have been thinking, that in TTL Yugoslavia has established closer relations with Greece. As a result of italo-yugoslavian tensions following the invasion of Abyssinia, yugoslav timber exports to Italy fell by 90%. I think Venizelos would not have lost the opportunity to buy some yugoslav timber as a show of support and developing closer economic ties. That would result in less timber imports by Sweden, further increasing the trade surplus. This trade surplus comes at a time of war scare of Greece. So, my thought was that what would be a better way to take advantage of that favorable trade balance, than some really nice Bofors guns?

(secondary source on the timber trade fallout: https://scholarworks.umt.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6207&context=etd)

Last edited:
I just had this though what if Greece along with British influence develops some sort LOK units formed from let's say the evzones ,those units could in theory be the core of the greek resistance in the of occupation and in effect reduce the influence of KKE in the future
EDIT: also if you think about it can be incorporated it the current greek battleplan with the greek army retreating in the Smyrna zone and with the raider units could be left in the rest of asia minor conducting Sabotage, attacking Turkish communications and supplies lines and providing some recce as well

Last edited:
Nice TL Lascaris!
My biggest hope is that instead of being bullied into the axis Romania actualy fights against Germany and Bulgaria,
and that Yugoslavia doesnt fall like a house of cards.
The Germans could divide a good amount of Resources to Yugoslavia and Romania makin it alot easier for the greeks.
Maybe the Greeks could drive themselve into a stalemate with the nazis along the border of Albania and North Macedonia with British reinforcements and the remains of the yugoslovaian army.
Also wouldnt France and Britain attack Turkey through Syria and Iraq?
I think those fronts will be way more Important ITTL
One can hope...

Last edited:
Part 44
Greece, November 15th 1936

Venizelos had made certain to complete the full four years of his term, before new elections would be held, it was actually becoming something of a standard practice by now, the last snap election had been back in March 1915. Compared to the 1932 elections the Liberals had suffered heavily losing bore than 10 percentage points. But this meant they'd still had managed to secure 48.18% of the vote and 145 seats in parliament. The United opposition, by now consisting of Nikolaos Stratos Conservative Reform party and Dragoumis National Radical party, which had absorbed the remnants of the Populists had secured 43.24% of the vote and 104 seats with Dragoumis radicals notably edging for the first time slightly ahead of Stratos Conservatives with 21.89% and 54 seats to 21.45% and 50 seats. Just as notably the Greek communist party had grown to 5.76% of the vote securing a single seat in parliament along with 3 more seats in the senate increasing its total number of senators to 6.

Deutsche Werke, Kiel, Germany, November 28th 1936

Flugzeugträger A, was laid down in the slip that had been freed earlier in the month by the launching of battlecruiser Gneisenau. Just as the ship was being laid down other workers kept working on Gneisenau and the heavy cruiser building since summer. Both the British and the French admiralties kept careful note of the increasing pace of German construction, two more battleships had been laid down back in April and July. Britain was waiting for the new year to immediately lay down the first pair of her own battleships, a variety of materials was already on order. France was relatively better off. The Dunkerque was expecting to enter service in May, Strasbourg had been launched in December 1935 and should be in service by early 1938, while a second Richelieu class ship had been laid down in September in the new Caquot dock in St Nazaire.

Paris, December 9th 1936

The Franco-Syrian treaty of independence was finally signed after nearly 9 months of negotiations that had nearly collapsed several times after the refusal of the Frence side to accept the incorporation into Syria of Lebanon, the Kurdish, Alawite and Druze states and the sanjak of Alexandretta as the Syrians were demanding. Finally the Syrians had to accept a separate Lebanon, while a compromise would be reached for the remaining areas with each state having a referendum on its future within three months of the signing of the treaty. The Druze would be the only ones to vote to join the new Syria. The Kurds understandably preferred their own state which they saw as the first seed to eventually create an independence Kurdistan, while the Alawis in the aftermath of the 1925 revolt feared that incorporation into Syria would also mean the return of the Sunni landowners that had left during the revolt. in Alexandretta the result against Syria had been ironically enough decided by the Turkish population voting along with the majority of Christians against incorporation into Syria if for diametrically opposite reasons, as the Christians wanted to remain in the French sphere of influence while the Turks were following Kemal's instructions, who wanted to keep Alexandretta out of Syria in order to join with Turkey later.

Yarrow yards, Glasgow, February 1937

The light cruisers Themistoklis and Miaoulis, were laid down for the Hellenic Navy. At 3,205t calling them light cruisers was probably a misnomer, the ships were for every practical purpose large destroyers capable of making 40 knots when completed and armed with American made 5in guns as Britain was not in position to provide either the 5.25in guns the ships had originally been designed or 4,7in guns. This was also becoming a problem for destroyers being built in Greece as well since their guns were being imported from Britain. Already delivery of the destroyers Sfendoni and Niki, originally intended as close copies of the British H class and due for delivery in 1936 was running late as the ships had to be altered at the last moment to take US 5in guns and Dutch Hazemayer directors instead while Britain had also claimed inability to deliver two more submarines, these had been laid in Greece instead, using the pair of additional slips recently built at Skaramanga. Of course this mean the slips could not be used for destroyers but one could not have everything...

Guadalajara, Spain, March 1st 1937

The failed offensive in October against Madrid, had been followed by a second assault in November, beaten back after heavy street fighting and three offensives attempting to cut off and encircle Madrid. By the end of the last one in early February the Nationalists had gained some ground along the Jarama river but had failed to have any decisive results. The arrival of the Italian expeditionary force which had scored a quick victory at Malaga, had renewed Nationalist hopes for victory in the Madrid front though. A joint offensive was planned with the Italian Corpo Truppe Volontarie with 35,000 men and 140 tanks under general Roatta attacking against Guadalajara and the Nationalists renewing their offensive against Jarama. The Nationalist part of the plan would nearly fail to materialize due to rivalries between Spanish officers and the recently arrived Italians but in the end general Ochoa could not bring him to break his promise to renew the attack on the Jarama and some 34,000 Nationalist troops moved to the attack within hours of the Italians launching their own assault. This put the Republicans in significant trouble. With 20,000 men and 30 tanks tied down facing Ochoa only 10,000 men supported by 40 tanks were left to take on the Italians. Twelve days of heavy fighting followed with the Republicans contesting every single step of ground they had to give, till Ochoa having lost a quarter of his forces till the start of February had to call of his offensive on the Jarama and the Republicans managed to shift some badly needed reinforcements against the Italians. By now it was too late to stop the Italians but not too late to inflict yet more casualties on them, before Roatta had to stop his own offensive in March 20th. Guadalajara had fallen with the Italians advancing over 60km in 20 days. But their advance had cost the Italians 8,000 men and half their tanks, with Ochoa losing another 4,000 men. Republican casualties had been comparable with 13,000 men and 38 tanks lost. The position of Madrid start becoming precarious...

Alexandretta, French mandate of Syria, March 15th 1937

The tensions already evidenced in the recent plebiscite to join Syria erupted into full scale clashes between the Turkish population, not openly agitating for union with Turkey and the Arab population, which under the direction of Zaki Al Arsuzi had also taken to the streets to contest the decision not to join Syria. The big loser of the clashes would actually turn out to be the local Armenians and other Christians as they were targetted by both sides. Christians start slipping away to nearby Lebanon despite French efforts to contain the clashes. Turkish diplomats in the League of Nations would hardly fail to take advantage of the opportunity demanding the return of Alexandretta, Northern Syria and Mosul to Turkey and asking for plebiscites in all three even though the only area they were likely to win a fair plebiscite was Alexandretta...

Turkey, April 1937

A language commission was established, to organize the replacement if the Arabic script in which Turkish was written with a Latin derived alphabet. The commission would return with recommendations for switching the alphabet over a period of five years. Kemal would instead take rather more drastic measures introducing the new alphabet by law in July and making switch to it compulsory by the end of the year. After all time was essential given developments around the world and social reforms in Turkey were already running late compared to what they would had been if he had not been forced to rescind power in the aftermath of defeat back in 1922. That failure had cost him and kept costing him in other ways, recently between approving construction for a new railroad to Diyarbakir and ordering a new light cruiser from Italy and 4 submarines from Germany he had to chose the naval orders to keep the support of Rauf Orbay's faction. Admittedly the navy would be of use when war with Greece came, thus he had not much begrudged the orders or securing ahead of Brazil 3 Adua class submarines that the Italians had laid down for their own navy but made available for sale. But when all was said and done Kemal was still an army man and had spent a decade of fighting without the Turkish navy having much of an impact and having to rely to Rauf's or Karabekir's support even to a limited extend instead of being in complete control of the country was galling at a personal level.

Brunette, Spain, May 6th 1937

63,000 Republican troops supported by 130 tanks and 140 aircraft sprung to the attack in hopes of turning back the increasingly dire military situation of the republic. The siege of Madrid was becoming more desperate by the date following the defeats in Guadalajara and Jarama. In the north of Spain the Nationalists had gone to the offensive in early April advancing into the Basque country and with a massed bombing of Guernica, apparently chosen more for her cultural significance to the Basques than for military reasons, by German and Italian aircraft with over a thousand civilians killed. Behind Spanish lines trouble was increasingly growing between the republican government and the anarchist groups that controlled Catalonia. The offensive, it was hoped, would both relieve Nationalist pressure on Madrid and divert them from their offensive in the north or for that matter from taking advantage of the Republicans internal problems in Catalonia. At least in diverting Nationalist efforts it was successful as the Nationalists reinforced Brunette with two infantry divisions while the Republican government and the communists managed to smash the Anarchists and their Trotskyist supporters at a cost of nearly 6,000 killed and wounded on the Anarchist side. On the international front the bombing of the German panzerschiff Admiral Scheer by Republican aircraft had brought German retaliation and had given Germany and Italy an excuse to leave the international non-intervention committee. That Scheer itself had been bombarding Republicans fleeing Malaga a couple months earlier was of course irrelevant as was the presence of German and Italian troops on the Nationalist side...

Madrid, June 5th 1937

The Republican offensive in Brunette had turned into a bloody failure with the Republicans suffering nearly 18,000 casualties at the cost of just a third as many Nationalists. Now it was the turn of the Nationalists as 55,000 troops under general Varela launched a second assault on the 45,000 men left defending Madrid. If Varela hoped for an easy victory in the aftermath of his victory in Brunette he was in for a disappointment as every street taken had to be paid in blood...

Greece likely won't be in great shape from the stress of the war since she'll either be fully occupied after a bloody fight or be a battleground for the whole war, but she will certainly play a much bigger part. Thank you for treating us to this TL Lascaris!
US 5in guns and Dutch Hazemayer directors
*Scared Stuka noises*
Britain was waiting for the new year to immediately lay down the first pair of her own battleships
KGV's that I suspect will actually be Lions and completed a year early? Sign me up!

A lot of interesting developments here Lascaris.

It looks like Spain is going to be a worse hell hole for everyone involved, as if OTL wasn't bad enough. That could be good for Greece if Italy continues to suffer high losses in men and equipment, but it could also help Italy sort out some of their own deficiencies - although how much they can, and will actually fix before 1940 is anyone's guess. The bombing of the Admiral Scheer could be bad for Kriegsmarine if it was sunk here, but if the damage isn't any worse than the OTL Deutchland bombing then its not too big of an issue for Germany and it will likely be repaired in short order.

The independence of Syria this early is also a very interesting change from OTL and will have some very interesting effects on the region. Alexandretta looks like its gonna be a major point of contention with Turkey in the upcoming war and Lebanon looks like it'll be a little more Christian ITTL, which could upset the careful balance of power there. Beyond that, I'm not entirely sure what else is going to happen, but it looks like its gonna become a big mess in the near future. Either way, I'm excited to see where this all goes.

Greece, November 15th 1936

Venizelos had made certain to complete the full four years of his term, before new elections would be held, it was actually becoming something of a standard practice by now, the last snap election had been back in March 1915. Compared to the 1932 elections the Liberals had suffered heavily losing bore than 10 percentage points. But this meant they'd still had managed to secure 48.18% of the vote and 145 seats in parliament. The United opposition, by now consisting of Nikolaos Stratos Conservative Reform party and Dragoumis National Radical party, which had absorbed the remnants of the Populists had secured 43.24% of the vote and 104 seats with Dragoumis radicals notably edging for the first time slightly ahead of Stratos Conservatives with 21.89% and 54 seats to 21.45% and 50 seats. Just as notably the Greek communist party had grown to 5.76% of the vote securing a single seat in parliament along with 3 more seats in the senate increasing its total number of senators to 6.

Deutsche Werke, Kiel, Germany, November 28th 1936

Flugzeugträger A, was laid down in the slip that had been freed earlier in the month by the launching of battlecruiser Gneisenau. Just as the ship was being laid down other workers kept working on Gneisenau and the heavy cruiser building since summer. Both the British and the French admiralties kept careful note of the increasing pace of German construction, two more battleships had been laid down back in April and July. Britain was waiting for the new year to immediately lay down the first pair of her own battleships, a variety of materials was already on order. France was relatively better off. The Dunkerque was expecting to enter service in May, Strasbourg had been launched in December 1935 and should be in service by early 1938, while a second Richelieu class ship had been laid down in September in the new Caquot dock in St Nazaire.

Paris, December 9th 1936

The Franco-Syrian treaty of independence was finally signed after nearly 9 months of negotiations that had nearly collapsed several times after the refusal of the Frence side to accept the incorporation into Syria of Lebanon, the Kurdish, Alawite and Druze states and the sanjak of Alexandretta as the Syrians were demanding. Finally the Syrians had to accept a separate Lebanon, while a compromise would be reached for the remaining areas with each state having a referendum on its future within three months of the signing of the treaty. The Druze would be the only ones to vote to join the new Syria. The Kurds understandably preferred their own state which they saw as the first seed to eventually create an independence Kurdistan, while the Alawis in the aftermath of the 1925 revolt feared that incorporation into Syria would also mean the return of the Sunni landowners that had left during the revolt. in Alexandretta the result against Syria had been ironically enough decided by the Turkish population voting along with the majority of Christians against incorporation into Syria if for diametrically opposite reasons, as the Christians wanted to remain in the French sphere of influence while the Turks were following Kemal's instructions, who wanted to keep Alexandretta out of Syria in order to join with Turkey later.

Yarrow yards, Glasgow, February 1937

The light cruisers Themistoklis and Miaoulis, were laid down for the Hellenic Navy. At 3,205t calling them light cruisers was probably a misnomer, the ships were for every practical purpose large destroyers capable of making 40 knots when completed and armed with American made 5in guns as Britain was not in position to provide either the 5.25in guns the ships had originally been designed or 4,7in guns. This was also becoming a problem for destroyers being built in Greece as well since their guns were being imported from Britain. Already delivery of the destroyers Sfendoni and Niki, originally intended as close copies of the British H class and due for delivery in 1936 was running late as the ships had to be altered at the last moment to take US 5in guns and Dutch Hazemayer directors instead while Britain had also claimed inability to deliver two more submarines, these had been laid in Greece instead, using the pair of additional slips recently built at Skaramanga. Of course this mean the slips could not be used for destroyers but one could not have everything...

Guadalajara, Spain, March 1st 1937

The failed offensive in October against Madrid, had been followed by a second assault in November, beaten back after heavy street fighting and three offensives attempting to cut off and encircle Madrid. By the end of the last one in early February the Nationalists had gained some ground along the Jarama river but had failed to have any decisive results. The arrival of the Italian expeditionary force which had scored a quick victory at Malaga, had renewed Nationalist hopes for victory in the Madrid front though. A joint offensive was planned with the Italian Corpo Truppe Volontarie with 35,000 men and 140 tanks under general Roatta attacking against Guadalajara and the Nationalists renewing their offensive against Jarama. The Nationalist part of the plan would nearly fail to materialize due to rivalries between Spanish officers and the recently arrived Italians but in the end general Ochoa could not bring him to break his promise to renew the attack on the Jarama and some 34,000 Nationalist troops moved to the attack within hours of the Italians launching their own assault. This put the Republicans in significant trouble. With 20,000 men and 30 tanks tied down facing Ochoa only 10,000 men supported by 40 tanks were left to take on the Italians. Twelve days of heavy fighting followed with the Republicans contesting every single step of ground they had to give, till Ochoa having lost a quarter of his forces till the start of February had to call of his offensive on the Jarama and the Republicans managed to shift some badly needed reinforcements against the Italians. By now it was too late to stop the Italians but not too late to inflict yet more casualties on them, before Roatta had to stop his own offensive in March 20th. Guadalajara had fallen with the Italians advancing over 60km in 20 days. But their advance had cost the Italians 8,000 men and half their tanks, with Ochoa losing another 4,000 men. Republican casualties had been comparable with 13,000 men and 38 tanks lost. The position of Madrid start becoming precarious...

Alexandretta, French mandate of Syria, March 15th 1937

The tensions already evidenced in the recent plebiscite to join Syria erupted into full scale clashes between the Turkish population, not openly agitating for union with Turkey and the Arab population, which under the direction of Zaki Al Arsuzi had also taken to the streets to contest the decision not to join Syria. The big loser of the clashes would actually turn out to be the local Armenians and other Christians as they were targetted by both sides. Christians start slipping away to nearby Lebanon despite French efforts to contain the clashes. Turkish diplomats in the League of Nations would hardly fail to take advantage of the opportunity demanding the return of Alexandretta, Northern Syria and Mosul to Turkey and asking for plebiscites in all three even though the only area they were likely to win a fair plebiscite was Alexandretta...

Turkey, April 1937

A language commission was established, to organize the replacement if the Arabic script in which Turkish was written with a Latin derived alphabet. The commission would return with recommendations for switching the alphabet over a period of five years. Kemal would instead take rather more drastic measures introducing the new alphabet by law in July and making switch to it compulsory by the end of the year. After all time was essential given developments around the world and social reforms in Turkey were already running late compared to what they would had been if he had not been forced to rescind power in the aftermath of defeat back in 1922. That failure had cost him and kept costing him in other ways, recently between approving construction for a new railroad to Diyarbakir and ordering a new light cruiser from Italy and 4 submarines from Germany he had to chose the naval orders to keep the support of Rauf Orbay's faction. Admittedly the navy would be of use when war with Greece came, thus he had not much begrudged the orders or securing ahead of Brazil 3 Adua class submarines that the Italians had laid down for their own navy but made available for sale. But when all was said and done Kemal was still an army man and had spent a decade of fighting without the Turkish navy having much of an impact and having to rely to Rauf's or Karabekir's support even to a limited extend instead of being in complete control of the country was galling at a personal level.

Brunette, Spain, May 6th 1937

63,000 Republican troops supported by 130 tanks and 140 aircraft sprung to the attack in hopes of turning back the increasingly dire military situation of the republic. The siege of Madrid was becoming more desperate by the date following the defeats in Guadalajara and Jarama. In the north of Spain the Nationalists had gone to the offensive in early April advancing into the Basque country and with a massed bombing of Guernica, apparently chosen more for her cultural significance to the Basques than for military reasons, by German and Italian aircraft with over a thousand civilians killed. Behind Spanish lines trouble was increasingly growing between the republican government and the anarchist groups that controlled Catalonia. The offensive, it was hoped, would both relieve Nationalist pressure on Madrid and divert them from their offensive in the north or for that matter from taking advantage of the Republicans internal problems in Catalonia. At least in diverting Nationalist efforts it was successful as the Nationalists reinforced Brunette with two infantry divisions while the Republican government and the communists managed to smash the Anarchists and their Trotskyist supporters at a cost of nearly 6,000 killed and wounded on the Anarchist side. On the international front the bombing of the German panzerschiff Admiral Scheer by Republican aircraft had brought German retaliation and had given Germany and Italy an excuse to leave the international non-intervention committee. That Scheer itself had been bombarding Republicans fleeing Malaga a couple months earlier was of course irrelevant as was the presence of German and Italian troops on the Nationalist side...

Madrid, June 5th 1937

The Republican offensive in Brunette had turned into a bloody failure with the Republicans suffering nearly 18,000 casualties at the cost of just a third as many Nationalists. Now it was the turn of the Nationalists as 55,000 troops under general Varela launched a second assault on the 45,000 men left defending Madrid. If Varela hoped for an easy victory in the aftermath of his victory in Brunette he was in for a disappointment as every street taken had to be paid in blood...
It seems all goes worse for the republicans in TTL.

By the way, is not Brunette but Brunete.