Of lost monkeys and broken vehicles

Well, given the hints of a later conflagration, with the arms caches hidden by Nationalists in Constantinople, the forts being built in Asia minor, the mention about Smyrna food supply and the contingency of its security on naval domination, I can't wait to see what WW2 is going to give us, especially after having read the Guns of Lausanne.

Perhaps a joint Italian-Turkish invasion instead of just fighting in Albania and a Varsaw style uprising in Constantinople, but I'm getting carried away^^.

Perhaps a joint Italian-Turkish invasion instead of just fighting in Albania and
In OTL the Greek Army showed that they we're able to fight successfully against the Italian invasion, so I'd expect that with TTL improvements that, if it 'd be needed that, they 'd be able to will fought successful in TTL too... Except in a two fronts scenario, though I'd expect that the Greeks 'd be wargaming and planning for exactly this kind of scenario...

Last edited:
I've always wondered how relevant would Adrianople (and by extension East Thrace) be in Megali Greece. Will it be one of the biggest cities, along with Athens, Thessaloniki and Smyrna? It will connect Greece with its short Black sea coast, until it annexes Constantinople atleast (which I don't see happening right away)...

Adrianople is likely to be big, but closer to Patras or Larisa and Heraklion as opposed to Thessaloniki. Thrace itself is comparable in size to Greek Macedonia, has fewer people and will be a major wheat producing region by the 1930s beyond other products like silk and tobacco.

It will be interesting to see the developments of greek army doctrine after this successful war. From one side, the french doctrine will reign supreme and I think there will be a few french military missions in Greece. Keeping the francophile Pangalos in a prominent position will further ensure french influence. On the other side, the Greeks just fought a war that was way more fluid than the Western Front with no continuous trench lines along the front. Their greatest foe was the turkish cavalry and its mobility. Moreover, fighting their way to Ankara and Konya and supplying the army across significant distances, may very well force the greek staff give more focus on logistics.

Even if Greek officers embrace mobile warfare, the greek economy cannot support a motorized army. At best we may get a mechanized corps with the rest being regular infantry divisions.

On a tactical level, there is a significant difference to OTL: the Greeks had Stokes mortars. It is not a strech to have a few officers understanding that in the rugged -often mountainous - terrain of the Balkans and Anatolia, the mortar is the best support weapon for infantry. Moreover, mortars are rather simple and cheap weapons that can be produced in Greece. They are also easy to move around with mules, the backbone of greek army logistics. In 1940, a greek regiment had only 4 mortars. If a battalion gets to have a battery of 4 mortars (81mm) and the regiment keeps its own battery, then we may have greek divisions fielding 48 mortars instead of 12. Such a move will increase dramaticaly the firepower of the greek army in a rather cheapish way.

Greek army doctrine was very much influenced from the French one in OTL, but with certain loans from the Germans, the Greeks never fully followed the French "methodical battle" but because they simply did not have the means to and thanks to lessons from Asia Minor. Doctrinally I don't expect this to be much changed compared to OTL. Broadly similar lessons learned in TTL than in OTL (improve staff work, why Kemal nearly got away? good flexible small unit leaders, need to react on their own when frex Turkish cavalry cuts off communication. Dig, dig, dig! See the mess Trikoupis put himself in! Heavy artillery is a good thing, we want as much as we can get our hands on. We need good recce, see the mess Turkish cavalry was making)

The use of Stokes mortars... in OTL the Greek army had the 58mm trench mortar in 1918, 8 per division. It then disappears without a trace. The Stokes mortars were readily available in 1920 and an obvious cheap addition to the army. Post that OTL I think the only limiting factor to the use of the Brandt 81mm mortar by the Greeks was how many the French were willing to sell. TTL the Greeks are likely going to be locally producing it, it is the kind of low hanging fruit that a developing arms industry like the Greek would be able to readily produce. But I do not plan to have 81mm mortars at the regimental level...

Well, given the hints of a later conflagration, with the arms caches hidden by Nationalists in Constantinople, the forts being built in Asia minor, the mention about Smyrna food supply and the contingency of its security on naval domination, I can't wait to see what WW2 is going to give us, especially after having read the Guns of Lausanne.

Perhaps a joint Italian-Turkish invasion instead of just fighting in Albania and a Varsaw style uprising in Constantinople, but I'm getting carried away^^.

Both sides are preparing for a round 2, it's only the reasonable thing to do. On the Greek side, Venizelos was a firm disciple of Thukydides, in OTL he begun translating him to moden Greek while he was out of politics in the 1920s. Effectively he's following the same strategy with Athens after Salamis. A fortified terrotory that will hold back the initial attack, in our case fortress Smyrna and control of the sea to bring in the reinforcements from the Greek mainland that will break the siege. Of course if the Greek army can hold back the initial invasion further out from the Smyrna line, so much the better. Equally obviously for the Greek army to have freedom of action in Anatolia it must not be tied down in Europe. Enter the Balkan Entente...

On the Turkish side the calculation is the reverse. Tie down the Greeks in Europe, cut off Greek communications in the Aegean and take out Smyrna before it can be significantly reinforced...

In OTL the Greek Army showed that they we're able to fight successfully against the Italian invasion, so I'd expect that with TTL improvements that, if it 'd be needed that, they 'd be able to will fought successful in TTL too... Except in a two fronts scenario, though I'd expect that the Greeks 'd be wargaming and planning for exactly this kind of scenario...

The worst case scenarion in the 1920s early 1930s would be Turkey and Bulgaria acting in concert to take out Greece. Now add to the picture Italy...

formion

Banned
Adrianople is likely to be big, but closer to Patras or Larisa and Heraklion as opposed to Thessaloniki. Thrace itself is comparable in size to Greek Macedonia, has fewer people and will be a major wheat producing region by the 1930s beyond other products like silk and tobacco.
Indeed! Moreover, Adrianople is not centrally located in greek Thrace and in TTL won't be a grain export center via the railroad. Alexandroupolis and Raidestos will be the ports from where grain will be exported to Athens, the islands and possibly Smyrna. So, I concur that Adrianople will be Larisa-size.

@Lascaris, did Venizelos had any thoughts on developing the strategic resources of Greece? Any Thucydides scholar would notice how Pericles not only built the needed infrastructure but also tried to control strategic resources (shipbuilding timber and grain). Two resources come into mind: Parnassus' bauxites and Boeotian/Euboean nickel.

Both sides are preparing for a round 2, it's only the reasonable thing to do. On the Greek side, Venizelos was a firm disciple of Thukydides, in OTL he begun translating him to moden Greek while he was out of politics in the 1920s. Effectively he's following the same strategy with Athens after Salamis. A fortified terrotory that will hold back the initial attack, in our case fortress Smyrna and control of the sea to bring in the reinforcements from the Greek mainland that will break the siege. Of course if the Greek army can hold back the initial invasion further out from the Smyrna line, so much the better. Equally obviously for the Greek army to have freedom of action in Anatolia it must not be tied down in Europe. Enter the Balkan Entente...

On the Turkish side the calculation is the reverse. Tie down the Greeks in Europe, cut off Greek communications in the Aegean and take out Smyrna before it can be significantly reinforced...
That's where an alliance with Mussolini enters into consideration I guess.

Besides, if both sides are preparing for a round 2, what are their respective objectives? Will a victorious Greece (well, once WW2 is over and Turkey is utterly defeated this time around), besides an obvious annexation of Italian Dodecanese and Constantinople, ask for more territory to expand the Smyrna province?
I guess if Turkey is even less relevant with Greece in complete control of the straits afterwards, the British might let Cyprus be united with Greece ITTL.

The most likely scenario is that the greek army makes a fighting retreat to the fortified positions in Anatolia while at the same time attacks Albania..valona is much more exposed...

formion

Banned
The most likely scenario is that the greek army makes a fighting retreat to the fortified positions in Anatolia while at the same time attacks Albania..valona is much more exposed...
Exactly!

In TTL Greece controls the mountainous south and the narrow upper Aoos Valley. From Tepelene, Valona is only 75km away via the broad lower Aoos Valley.

If we have a constantly hostile Italy, I wonder whether Greece tries to build a railroad to Epirus to ease logistics and assist the projection of force. A logical route would have been to connect the Thessaloniki-Bitola line with Ioannina and Igoumenitsa. A railroad that tranverses Greece in the east-west axis connecting the Aegean and Ionian coastlines will be a major strategic asset.

Such a railroad would have also commercial success. Non-bulky cargo can be unloaded to Igoumenitsa, sent via railroad to Constantinopple and then loaded again in ship for export in the Black Sea countries.

Exactly!

In TTL Greece controls the mountainous south and the narrow upper Aoos Valley. From Tepelene, Valona is only 75km away via the broad lower Aoos Valley.

If we have a constantly hostile Italy, I wonder whether Greece tries to build a railroad to Epirus to ease logistics and assist the projection of force. A logical route would have been to connect the Thessaloniki-Bitola line with Ioannina and Igoumenitsa. A railroad that tranverses Greece in the east-west axis connecting the Aegean and Ionian coastlines will be a major strategic asset.

Such a railroad would have also commercial success. Non-bulky cargo can be unloaded to Igoumenitsa, sent via railroad to Constantinopple and then loaded again in ship for export in the Black Sea countries.

In OTL the Greek rail network was 2396km in 1920 and 2463 km in 1921. Postwar it went up to 2681 km in 1925 and peaked up to 2692 km in 1935. Work underway for additional railroads in 1931 in West Thessaly stopped from the world economic crisis with 20km of the Kalambaka-Kozani like built but not used. That's 296km added after 1920, not counting the 20km from Kalambaka-Kozani. TTL someone should add to the existing network 282km in East Thrace, 447km from the Smyrna-Cassaba railway and 237km from the Ottoman Railway company, bringing the total network in 1921 to 3,429km. To that should be added 674 to 788km of new construction TTL. If you subtract the OTL extensions it means 445-559km in addition to the OTL network.

Where that would be? Not really certain yet. Greek Asia Minor already is pretty well covered. So is Thrace and Macedonia, although a southern railroad route from Alexandroupolis to Silivria and from there Constantinople makes obvious sense to me TTL, that would be 196km. The Kalambaka-Kozani railway that was started in OTL is 109 km and also makes sense, it connects two existing railroads. Post that western Greece is the logical place to build. Extending the North-West Greek railways from Agrinio to Ioannina would be 149km. A Kalambaka-Ioannina railroad 104km. Ioannina to Igoumenitsa 79km, Ioannina-Himara 149km, Ioannina-Argyrokastro 90km. Not all can be built so choices need to be made...

I think the most logical rail connection is Ioannina yo igoumenitsa..first it will help with trading and second igoumenitsa is defened by the mountains of northern Epirus..this railway with road improvements in the area is the way to go

Last edited:

formion

Banned
So is Thrace and Macedonia, although a southern railroad route from Alexandroupolis to Silivria and from there Constantinople makes obvious sense to me TTL, that would be 196km.
Indeed it makes obvious strategic sense. so that the line is south and less exposed to a bulgarian invasion. However, it doesn't serve the economy. Alexandroupolis has already a railway connection and will be the export port of the Evros Valley. Economy-wise, the most important railroad in Thrace would have been a very short connection of the existing east-west line to the port of Raidestos. Raidestos can be the other important export port of the easternmost thracian plains. In the military aspect, Greece need railroad access to a port in the Marmara Sea, so as to send quickly reinforcements to Panormos (OTL Pandirma) on the other side of the narrow sea.

Extending the North-West Greek railways from Agrinio to Ioannina would be 149km. A Kalambaka-Ioannina railroad 104km. Ioannina to Igoumenitsa 79km, Ioannina-Himara 149km, Ioannina-Argyrokastro 90km. Not all can be built so choices need to be made...
A railroad to Himara doesn't make much sense. Ioannina-Argyrokastro makes much more sense, although it would be a nice addition only if there is enough capital left. I agree with @emperor joe: the first priority should have been the Igoumenitsa-Ioannina line and then a connection to Kalampaka and the rest of the rail network. This railroad will have also economic significance, so it can be paid off much more quickly, while advancing the economy of the whole Epirus region.

I think the most logical rail connection is Ioannina yo igoumenitsa..first it will help with trading and second igoumenitsa is defenced by the mountains of northern Epirus..this railway with road improvements in the area is the way to go

The problem is of course that Igoumenitsa at this point is a village with barely 300 people, it was 278 people in 1920 and 564 in 1928, which included some refugees that are not coming TTL.

Indeed it makes obvious strategic sense. so that the line is south and less exposed to a bulgarian invasion. However, it doesn't serve the economy. Alexandroupolis has already a railway connection and will be the export port of the Evros Valley. Economy-wise, the most important railroad in Thrace would have been a very short connection of the existing east-west line to the port of Raidestos. Raidestos can be the other important export port of the easternmost thracian plains. In the military aspect, Greece need railroad access to a port in the Marmara Sea, so as to send quickly reinforcements to Panormos (OTL Pandirma) on the other side of the narrow sea.

It is not only the military aspect. Lets put it in some numbers. The Thessaloniki-Alexandroupolis railroad is 406 km. To get over the existing line to Constantinople you need to first get north to Pythion from there to Makra Gefyra/Uzunkopru and reach the Adrianople-Constantinople railway at Pehlivankoy/Agios Pavlos. That's 867 km in total to hit Constantinople. Or about 31 hours with regular trains of the era, 18 hours 20 min by express train (Athens-Thessaloniki was 18h and 10h 40min by express). The alternative line is 288 km from Alexandroupolis to Constantinople and 694 km overall, bringing down travel time to about 25 hours by regular train and 14h 40h by express.

The numbers by the way show why a Piraeus-Constantinople shipping connection will be competitive for a long time, it's 352 nautical miles that way, a passenger ship making 14-15 knots would need about a day, a 20kts ship less than 18.

A railroad to Himara doesn't make much sense. Ioannina-Argyrokastro makes much more sense, although it would be a nice addition only if there is enough capital left. I agree with @emperor joe: the first priority should have been the Igoumenitsa-Ioannina line and then a connection to Kalampaka and the rest of the rail network. This railroad will have also economic significance, so it can be paid off much more quickly, while advancing the economy of the whole Epirus region.

As noted, Igoumenitsa is merely a village at this point though. Agioi Saranta/Sarande and Himara are much bigger and the former is a notable port. Both TTL are within the Greek border. The Ioannina-Agioi Saranda distance is comparable to that to Igoumenitsa, 102 km to 79 km. There is a very reasonable chance TTL that Igoumenitsa fails to lift off the ground with Agioi Saranda taking her place.

Well any expansion of railroads in Epirus is a very pricey affair due to the mountainous terrain. Especially the Akrokeravnia Mountain range is a huge limit to development for Himara, speaking as a local there. So a more logical station would be Saranda and Argyrokastron as well as Korytsa or Tepeleni.
Ops ninja'd by formion

Last edited:
Part 21 Old kings and new calendars
Ruhr, January 11th, 1923

French and Belgian troops occupied the region as Germany had failed once more to meet her war reparation obligations. The French, unlike Britain and the United States, believed, not necessarily without reason, that Germany was deliberately trying to avoid the payment of reparations. The German government offered no open resistance but ordered its nationals on the Ruhr to stop every activity that could be to the occupiers benefit. In the meantime inflation was running rampant within Germany. This was not considered bad by everyone of course. Bodosakis purchasing agents in Germany were buying all the machinery, that their employer's gold could get.

Geneva, February 21st, 1923

Former king Constantine I, finally succumbed to the multiple ailments that his pneumonia had left him back in 1915. In Greece the reaction to the news were mixed. For the Venizelist majority it mattered little. For the Royalist minority it was a cause of grief, the old king was still overwhelmingly popular among them. Hiw death also brought the question of succession and here even the Royalists were becoming split between themselves. For some it was obvious that ling Alexander, left by Constantine as "caretaker" of the throne was now the sole king, after all the young king was rather popular by his own. For the more strict Royalists though Alexander remained just a caretaker king till the true successor George II could return to the throne.

In the meantime Constantine's body was moved to Italy, from there the Greek destroyers Aetos and Ierax carried it to Greece, Venizelos in hopes of mending further the National Schism had agreed to a public funeral with the full honours of a head of state despite the opposition of many in his own cabinet.

Athens, February 16th, 1923, Old calendar/ March 1st, 1923, New calendar

Greece officially adopted the Gregorian calendar as did the patriarchate of Constantinople. Not everyone was happy with the decision. The Greek Orthodox patriarchate of Jerusalem refused to switch to the Gregorian calendar. So did many parishes within Greece giving birth to an "old calendarist" movement. Still the majority of the population followed the state and church to adoption of the Gregorian calendar. Outside Greece with the exception of Jerusalem the other Greek controlled churches, in Alexandria, Cyprus and the diaspora followed the lead of Constantinople. The Slavic churches would not continuing to follow the Julian calendar even as their home countries were switching one after the other to the Gregorian one.

London, April 1923

David Lloyd's George cabinet soldiered on but it was recognised by everyone including himself that in the elections that were due no later than the end of the year the coalition was not going to continue. Negotiations were underway between the two Liberal party factions to re-unite the party as it was recognized that entering the elections split was going to be catastrophic. The negotiations were greatly hindered by the antipathy between Asquith and Lloyd George and who would lead to the election the re-united party. In the end that Lloyd George held the premiership had proven the deciding factor and the two factions had reached a tacit agreement for Lloyd George to lead the Liberals when the election came. Provided he also financed the Liberal electoral campaign from his slush fund.

Berlin, May 1923

Mustafa Kemal had not returned to Turkey after the end of the Paris negotiations and the treaty of Chantilly. Of course he recognised the need to self-exile at the very moment he left Turkey, his heading of the peace delegation was a polite way to remove him from the motherland in the aftermath of the war. He had set court in Berlin not unlike some exiled king. Paris and London were out of the question, Rome was a possibility but not right away given her occupation of part of Turkey, this left Berlin as the obvious choice.

Today the monotony of the day had been broken by a delegation of Arabs from the Morrocan Rif. There Abd El-Krim after winning a devastating victory against the Spanish at Annual in 1921 was continuing his war against them in hopes of forcing recognition of the independence of an independent Rifian republic. Abd El-Krim's agents had contacting Kemal asking for his aid in the fight against the Spanish. Kemal declined the request to join in person even though he sympathized with them but agreed to help recruit any Turkish veterans that might be interested. A few dozen Turkish volunteers, mostly veteran officers and non-coms from the war would join the Rif rebels by the end of the year helping Krim's efforts to establish a regular army.

Greek-Albanian border south of Tepelen, May 27th, 1923

General Enrico Tellini was not a man exactly enamoured with the fascist regime that had taken over Italy. The regime knew as much and had decided that something had to be done about it and said something could also be used to further Italian policy goals. And thus the general and three of his companions were found murdered near the border. The assassins would never me found but Mussolini immediately blamed Greece, producing an ultimatum in May 29th demanding that Greece accept responsibility for the murders and pay 50 million in reparations. Venizelos reacted by proposing arbitration by the League of Nations the same day while he asked for British and French aid. An Italian naval squadron, already waiting for the "accident" to happen was already underway.

Corfu, May 31st, 1923

The Italian squadron including three battleships and several smaller craft, had shown up outside the harbour demanding the surrender of Corfu. When the Greek prefect had declined the demand they had opened up on the city, killing dozens of civilians and an Italian infantry brigade with about 5,000 men had landed and captured the town. The Greek 10th infantry regiment, taken by surprise and at peacetime strength had retreated to the interior of the island where reservists start pouring into her ranks. On the same day Mussolini in Rome gave a speech reminding that Corfu was Venetian for 4 centuries before being annexed to Greece hinting that he considered it rightfully Italian territory. The Corfu crisis was beginning...

Last edited:
I wonder if the TTL Corfu crisis spurs Greece to complete Salamis and expand the fleet more, it would make sense with Italy being seen as Greece's new rival and the need to defend the coasts.

Liberal reunion, really? I get it that without Chanak Lloyd George's Coalition stays with him at the helm. But Asquithians caving?

Nice Idea with Kemalist veterans fighting in the Rif...!

I wonder if the TTL Corfu crisis spurs Greece to complete Salamis and expand the fleet more, it would make sense with Italy being seen as Greece's new rival and the need to defend the coasts.

Stay tuned. Truth to tell there are arguments both for and against completing Salamis. Beyond which there are also some pretty serious diplomatic complications if the Greeks decided to complete her in TTL.

Liberal reunion, really? I get it that without Chanak Lloyd George's Coalition stays with him at the helm. But Asquithians caving?

Nice Idea with Kemalist veterans fighting in the Rif...!

I'm not entirely happy with Liberal re-union under Lloyd George. But that said TTL it is absolutely clear that the coalition is not going to the election as such, it is only a question of when Lloyd George is ousted... or brings the coalition down on his own. It is equally clear from the 1918 election that it will be suicide for the Liberals to go as separate parties in the election and at this moment it is coalition Liberals who hold the whip hand. More MP's, more money and the prime minister's position... in a hung parliament Lloyd George would be continuing to be PM till a vote of no confidence...

Part 22 The wooden rooster's crowing
Athens, June 1st 1923

Italy simultaneously with the bombardment and occupation of Corfu had closed the straits of Otranto to Greek ships and suspended sea-borne communications between Greece and Italy. The Albanian government had at the same time closed the Greek Albanian border and massed what few troops it had on the border. The Greeks had been caught by surprise but Venizelos start reacting swiftly. Martial law was declared through out Greece and the fleet along with the Smyrna Army corps in Ionia and the VIII infantry division in Epirus were quietly mobilized. Greece starting a war with Italy on its own was not practical. But Greece was not necessarily on its own. Just as Greece appealed to the League of Nations asking for its intervention, Venizelos was contacting Britain and France asking for them to mediate if Italy was willing to negotiate, to help defend Greece otherwise. Nikolaos Politis, the Greek foreign minister, had been sent right away to Belgrade and from there had continued to Bucharest asking Greece's Balkan Entente allies for their support. And there were military options the Italians had apparently not taken into consideration. The Italian mandate in Caria was wide open if the Greeks crossed the Meander, with the geography making its defense all the more difficult as the mountain ranges that run vertical to the river separated the few Italian troops there into multiple contingents along the valleys. [1]

Understandably, the Greek press was up in arms against Italy. The Italian ambassador's complaint to the Greek government when one of the papers had called the Italians "the fugitives of Caporetto", had been met by a flat refusal to take any action against the newspaper, the ambassador being simply informed that Greece had freedom of the press. Mussolini had in turn recalled his ambassador with Greece reciprocating. [2] The opposition had stood understandably at the side of the nation with Ion Dragoumis in particular being particularly scathing in his rhetoric against Italy. Nikolaos Stratos at the head of the Reformist Conservative party can been less scathing but had not omitted calling in parliament for the immediate completion of the battleship Salamis and the procurement of further heavy units to replace to old Kilkis and Lemnos pre-dreadnoughts. Had Greece possessed the three battleships projected by the Greek naval program he argued Italy would had never dared to occupy Corfu. [3]

London, June 3rd 1923

Italian actions had been to put it mildly a nasty surprise to the British government. David Lloyd George was a known partisan of Greece of course but he wasn't alone in his support of Greece this time. Lord Curzon, the foreign minister described the Italian action as "violent and inexcusable" and that if Britain did not back the Greek appeal in the league of nations "that institution may as well shut its doors". [4] Winston Churchill with Lloyd George's backing had ordered the Mediterranean fleet on a "goodwill visit" to the Aegean. Britain of course did not want war with Italy but the presence of the Royal Navy in Greek waters was a pointed reminder that attaching Greece would be problematic. Mussolini would have to be insane to want to take on the Royal Navy. Of course reports from the British embassy in Rome claimed that this was possibly true but even if insane he was preferable to communists. This put something of a crimp to the British ability to safely predict his actions...

Rome June 10, 1923

The crisis went on. Both the Balkan Entente members as well as Czechoslovakia were openly supporting the Greeks, as did Britain and to a lesser extend France. International opinion in general was decidedly supportive of Greece. Within Corfu, the Greek 10th Infantry now and full strength was dug in in the interior of the island effectively limiting Italian control to the town of Corfu and the Italians had been quietly informed that if they tried to advance to the interior the Greeks would fight back, of course Greek resistance could be likely overcome but Mussolini did not want to start an actual war at the moment. Not all was bad though. Within Italy a wave of patriotism had swept the nation securing the fascists hold on power. Britain when told that if it insisted on the Greek appeal being taken before the League of Nations, Italy would simply leave the League had backed down an agreed that the matter should be dealt by the ambassadors conference, particularly since France also preferred this and wanted to retain Italian support against Germany. In Sivas calls were being raised in the Turkish grand national assembly to attack Greece in conjunction with Italy, a welcome increase of Italian influence within the country. Mussolini chose a French newspaper to declare that if Greece did not find the perpetrators of the murder by June 27th, Italy would refuse to leave Corfu. Of course there was the minor issue that according to the Greek "Corfu office of information" established under lieutenant colonel Fessopoulos to coordinate Greek intelligence operations related to the crisis the murderers were being harboured by the Italians in the first place but that was surely the Greeks problem...

Geneva, June 29th, 1923

The ambassadors conference voted by three to one that Greece was not responsible for the murder. Then it continued by claiming that nevertheless she was responsible for some undefined negligence before and after the murder, for which a formal apology should be presented to Italy. Since Greece was not responsible for the murder, there was no reason for the 50,000,000 lire indemnity claimed by Italy, the formal Greek apology should suffice, behind the scenes Venizelos had made it clear that Greece was willing to compromise and accept a formula that let Italy maintain face but was not paying a single penny for a crime she was not responsible for. Italy was free to go to the International court of justice for her demand for Greece to pay the occupation costs for the month Corfu remained occupied. It was a decision both sides could live with. The Greeks got the Italians off Corfu. But they would remember the forced apology, the half million pounds demanded by Italy was instead assigned to the navy. Mussolini got to pretend he had won and show to the Italian public how his government followed a dynamic foreign policy unlike his predecessors and had forced Greece to a formal apology, increasing his popularity. Money, Italy was above mere money, the Greek formal apology was worth much more fascist propaganda would claim. But Mussolini would remember he failed to keep Corfu. A day of reckoning would come he claimed. The League of Nations was the only one that had no reason to be happy with the result. In her first major test it had failed.

Corfu, June 30th, 1923

Back during the Great war, when Italian troops had been stationed in Corfu before the Greek entry into the war, the commander of the Italian garrison, had hanged a wooden rooster from the gate of the Corfu New Fortress and claimed Italians would leave the island when the wooden rooster crowed. Italian troops had left under cover of night in 1918. Now they were leaving again and several thousand Corfiotes were in the port to see them off, all crowing like roosters. The wooden rooster had after all crowed for a second time. It remained to be seen it it would crow for a third time as well...

[1] That is obviously a factor not present in OTL. But Italy would hardly have more than 10-15,000 men in peacetime in the area, it had fewer during the Greek-Turkish war after all.
[2] The incident is copied from OTL, but TTL reaction is liable to be different. A Greece that has just won its war with Turkey and is closely connected to Britain and France is an entirely different beast from the OTL one both militarily and politically...
[3] There had actually been supporters of the idea that Greece needed to be able to build up to 3 battleships in OTL 1923-24, like admiral Periklis Rediadis. Saner heads prevailed, three battleships was 60% of the French and Italian tonnage an more than any of the proposed lesser power allocations in the 1924 Rome naval conference. But Stratos is a navalist, "heavy units" can mean anything, the naval staff hoped to eventually build heavy cruisers in replacement of the pre-dreadnoughts which count for heavy units and besides... he is in the opposition he won't need to put his claims to actual work...
[4] Historical

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 7.04.42 PM.png

It'd sure be a shame for Salamis to be scrapped, she's equal to the Italian dreadnoughts, at least. Here's the political reason to go ahead and complete her, possibly in the UK if they don't want the Germans building a BB.

Last edited:
View attachment 596454
It'd sure be a shame for Salamis to be scrapped, she's equal to the Italian dreadnoughts, at least. Here's the political reason to go ahead and complete her, possibly in the UK if they don't want the Germans building a BB.

On the upside Salamis was a pretty good design for its time. The modernised design proposed in 1929 was pretty much on par with the modernized Cavour's if not slightly superior. That said she is still a hulk rotting in Vukcan's shipyard for nearly a decade and completing her would cost about 3.8 million pounds. 3.8 million pounds is quite a bit of change at this time, the 6 submarines Greece built in the 1920s in OTL cost 119,000 pounds each by comparison which means that for the same money you could actually build 32 submarines (this of course has the minor issue of manning 32 submarines to an adequate standard and the Greeks following their British trainers where pretty serious over that.). Or alternatively if you are willing to fork out circa 4 million you could do so to order a brand new unit, 4 million should suffice for something about 20,000t displacement. On the plus side she can be probably completed faster than a new ship that would take at least 3 years to build but then are the Greeks in any extreme hurry?

When all is said and done of course this is also largely a matter of politics and Venizelos was never particularly happy with battleships, although probably not as adamantly opposed to them as his opponents portrayed him. In OTL he accepted not completing Salamis and signing a naval holiday with Turkey. TTL controlling the Aegean is even more important, Turkey openly hostile and Italy so far not friendly...