Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Argentine paradox" is a term used for the economic history of Argentina - at the beginning of the last century the country was one of the richest in the world in terms of GNP per capita, surpassing countries such as Germany, France and the Netherlands, while today it is a middle-developed country with a triple-digit percentage inflation, which is not even the richest in Latin America - where it is surpassed by Chile. I want to read scenarios of how this could happen in more rich early 20th century countries. I am thinking mostly of Germany and Japan, which were destroyed during the Second World War, partly of France, and also of Italy. I am also interested in what will be the consequences for world politics, economy and culture of such economic stagnation.

The "Argentine paradox" is a term used for the economic history of Argentina - at the beginning of the last century the country was one of the richest in the world in terms of GNP per capita, surpassing countries such as Germany, France and the Netherlands, while today it is a middle-developed country with a triple-digit percentage inflation, which is not even the richest in Latin America - where it is surpassed by Chile. I want to read scenarios of how this could happen in more rich early 20th century countries. I am thinking mostly of Germany and Japan, which were destroyed during the Second World War, partly of France, and also of Italy. I am also interested in what will be the consequences for world politics, economy and culture of such economic stagnation.
Well there are, the Argentinian paradox isn't a rich country becoming a poor one its having a country with a lot of natural resources and economic potential but that failed to exploit this and is now extremely poor. Countries like Democratic Republic of the Congo are having the Argentinian paradox and you could consider many countries to have the Argentinian paradox (especially in Africa): to a lesser extent Brazil and India are having the Argentinian paradox as despite having enormous potential they aren't rich.
Countries like Japan have the absolute opposite paradox as despite not having any significant natural resource they are extremely rich

Status
Not open for further replies.