Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Would analyzing myths like the Quest for the Holy Grail, the Aeneid, or even movies popular today help us understand the psyche of a society?

Would analyzing myths like the Quest for the Holy Grail, the Aeneid, or even movies popular today help us understand the psyche of a society?
It definitely would. A nation's mythology can tell us quite a bit about how that nation sees itself, its origins, and its moral character.

From what I had read, Stephen of Blois is a claimant to the Kingdom of Burgundy or Arelate as a descendant of Bertha of Burgundy.

Is it possible for Empress Matilda and Henry V to grant Burgundy to Stephen in exchange for his support for Empress Matilda? would Stephen accept this offer or not?

From what I had read, Stephen of Blois is a claimant to the Kingdom of Burgundy or Arelate as a descendant of Bertha of Burgundy.

Is it possible for Empress Matilda and Henry V to grant Burgundy to Stephen in exchange for his support for Empress Matilda? would Stephen accept this offer or not?
Matilda would NOT be her father’s heiress if Henry V is still living

could a german argintina chile and paraguay have immigration it received from catholic countries go to Mexico Columbia peru bolivia Venezuela and turning them into a modern day Argentina ethnicly.

Is it possible for Stokavian language to be called as Rascian instead.

In a wider perspective, the term was also used for some other related South Slavic groups of the Habsburg Monarchy, such as the Catholic Bunjevci and Šokci (designated as "Catholic Rascians").[2] Although they were certainly mostly Serbs, the term Rascians has wider meaning and includes all southern Slavs except Bulgarians. The reason for this is very mixed terminology of individual nations and ethnic groups immigrated to Hungary. They were distinguished by their religion as the "Catholic Rascians" Dalmatians, or as they are today called Bunjevci (which means they were originally from Dalmatia). People who were called Rascians later mostly self-identified as Serbs. In Hungary some Rascians saw themselves as Croats, mostly in villages of Tököl (Tukulja), Bátya (Baćin) and Dusnok (Dušnok).[3]

Apparently, in 1307 Charles of Valois (founder of the House of Valois, younger brother of Philip IV of France) allied with Venice, the Serbians, and elements of the Catalan Company to restore the Latin Empire in the name of his wife Catherine de Courtenay (legal heiress of the Latin Empire). He gained Papal support for his endeavour and supposedly even had a few Byzantine nobles supporting him. But beside a singular mention in a Venetian record reporting a daring raid near Constantinople (which the source I was reading, Donald Nicol, believes was fictional), this repeat of the Fourth Crusade never happened. And it's very understandable since the Catalan Company after Roger de Flor's murder was riven with infighting and matters involving the Principality of Achaea were a mess and the Angevin-Catalan rivalry and Venice-Genoa rivalries made political matters extremely difficult. Venice's conflicts with the Pope in 1309 caused the city-state to be placed under interdict which permanently ended this plan.

But had they set sail in early 1308 as planned, could they have succeeded in restoring the Latin Empire? I'd assume the Catalan Company (who in this era absolutely devastated Byzantium and the local Frankish states) goes along with it (the poor economic state of Byzantium and Roger de Flor's murder makes it dubious Byzantium would ever trust them) or otherwise fragments. Can they take the famed walls of Constantinople? Byzantium's only real potential ally is Genoa or maybe ironically the Ottomans or another Turkish beylik who might want revenge on the Catalan Company or crusaders in general (given the Hospitallers seized Rhodes just a few years prior).

If the Latin Empire returns, just how long can they survive for against potential Byzantine resurgance, outside threats like Bulgaria or Serbia, infighting (i.e. Angevins or Genoa), or of course the Turks?

There is the theory that Martin Luthers household served as a kind of blueprint for the Protestant clergy, with the wife (and the children) of the Pastor having certain roles.
So what if Katharina von Bora and her fellow nuns never makes it to Wittenberg and Martin Luther remains a bachelor for life?

Hello,

In the case of a repudiation pronounced by Louis XIII against Anne of Austria in 1637 (in the situation following the discovery in 1636 of a secret correspondence between the Queen of France and her brother Philip IV of Spain with whom Louis XIII is at war). What would be the likely candidates for the king's remarriage?

Hello there,
Google isn't giving me a clear answer so I thought I would ask here.
In medieval times, when a King went out of the Kingdom to fight a war (as they did back then) who would be in charge while he was gone? And if he did die before returning, who would be left to make the big decisions?

Hello there,
Google isn't giving me a clear answer so I thought I would ask here.
In medieval times, when a King went out of the Kingdom to fight a war (as they did back then) who would be in charge while he was gone? And if he did die before returning, who would be left to make the big decisions?
Varied by country, normally he would appoint a steward or seneschal (the title used varied) & this could be a permanent appointment or only one time thing.

If there was no one appointed, most privy councils could handle emergencies.

If the king dies while a way things generally preceded the same as if he was there.

What language(s) could be presumably spoken by the Oestrimni, the Paleolithic-era inhabitants of present-day Galicia and Portugal?

Last edited:
In a world where the Russians were more of a threat to Europe in the 1800s, would all of the great powers, barring Prussia, be enemies of Russia?

Damn wow. Did Russia have 0 allies besides France then?
None, because although in the First World War they came to the aid of Serbia, there was no alliance treaty between the two. The same can apply with the United Kingdom. As for its immediate neighbors, the most they had were non-aggression agreements or peace treaties and little else.

Oh like the "Brother's Alliance" between Austria, Germany, and Russia?
That was a very temporary thing (just 8 years), based solely on a common hatred of liberalism (with nothing else in common between the three nations) and it collapsed after, surprise, a certain German with a mustache and pickelhaube went from trying to fix the fight between Austria and Russia on Balkan land to support Austria and give Russia the "screw you, you're alone again, sucks to be you."