Miranda's Dream. ¡Por una Latino América fuerte!.- A Gran Colombia TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, was Portales a prophet or something?

Maybe. Portales was a pretty interesting person. He advocated a strong government, not because it was better, but because it was necessary at the time. Hell, his ideas would have had more influence if Balmaceda had won the 1891 Civil War. After all, Congress winning was the complete antithesis of Portalian ideology. Portales advocated for a strong executive power amongst all things. Yet, the 1833 Constitution stayed in vigor during the entire parliamentary period.

It's one of the reasons I wrote "Portalian: A Chilean SI"(yes, I know, shameless plug.)

Maybe. Portales was a pretty interesting person. He advocated a strong government, not because it was better, but because it was necessary at the time. Hell, his ideas would have had more influence if Balmaceda had won the 1891 Civil War. After all, Congress winning was the complete antithesis of Portalian ideology. Portales advocated for a strong executive power amongst all things. Yet, the 1833 Constitution stayed in vigor during the entire parliamentary period.

It's one of the reasons I wrote "Portalian: A Chilean SI"(yes, I know, shameless plug.)

Interesting. I'm going to see if I can fit it into this timeline. I don't care about the shameless plug! I've done it myself. I'm going to check it as soon as I can.

And here's the map for after the Triple War.

UuQcHCG.png

The La Plata priorities and in more or less measure for the rest of Ibero America (the more wide and in my opinion, adequate denomyn) are or must been the Estate(nation) building process, in the institutional mean mainly.
Because OTL, the colonial institutions were destroyed/discredited or the remnants were unsuitable for the newborn Americans Nations after the decades long period in what revolutionaries,civils and/or international wars were fought for years and sometimes was hard to found and point to start/end from one to another or for differentiate the differents kinds that were fought on simultaneous way.

The new nation priorities/'goals' must been create/built their geographic and institutional infrastructure but TTL, strengthening it, increasing and intensifying both its power/effective authority and its scope gradually to all its territory; not only quantitative but also qualitative. At the same time, the estate institutions should gradually become respected and gain the loyalty of all sectors and social groups by including them and integrating them by giving them a sense of belonging to society as a whole.
Avoiding or regaining loyalty that OTL belonged to charismatic leaders ('Caudillos') rural or 'Urban' one. This was a situation that was aggravated historically by the excess of centralism/unitarism that ignore the regionalism or want to eliminate/subdue it instead of while respect the local political and/or culturally autonomy integrating to the national 'project' and include them.
The above with the concurrent factor of the 'Caudillismo' that was at same time (OTL) a cause and consequence and a vicious circle from both chronic political instability and social/economics exclusion/repression.

While the Philippines and Borneo would be too far for that TTL Colombia or Chile could had influence directly but perhaps in an indirect way... thought an TTL , major shipbuilding? and an increased or new bi or trilateral commerce? Would be commercial/economical factible this kind of development and/or commercial relations with?

Within Mexico and the Philippines there were, from the colonial time, importants historic and economics connections that perhaps could be resumed or perhaps according to how events evolve may have the opportunity to 'grow' and / or redefine them.

Finally with respect to Spain beside from strengthen their control, perhaps it's probably that after becoming ,the Philippines Islands, one of its remaining possessions...
I guess it's likely that will increase its importance for Spanish,for both Liberals or 'Ultras' (conservatives / royalists) decision-makers. would be likely that more military and naval units to be redeployed there and/or politics to stimulate emigration to intensify and increase its area of effective control.
At the same time, it is presumed that the traditional economic and commercial colonial restrictions will be attenuated or eliminated (of course, the ideology of the Spanish rulers will affect the possible beginning and degree of implementation of the policies mentioned above.

Which in turn could will affect the possible / probable Spanish reaction to the presence and activities of British adventurers, especially one as successful as J.Brooke; As well as of course the means to carry it out or carry out a policy to fight against Brooke and his local allies / supporters, both local authorities in Manila and the central ones in Madrid.

I have just finished reading through this TL and I'm seriously impressed. I can't wait to see what you have planned for the Mexican-American war, @Red_Galiray

I've also noticed you have been using Vicky 2 maps to show the story's progress. I also like to use it as a basemap, and have made a number of improvements to it, if you are interested in using an expanded version (such as showing Antarctic claims between La Plata, Chile, or others). I am also working on a version of the map that shows major rivers and canals, which could be useful to you. Let me know if you would like to have it as well, so I can PM it to you. I'd rather not post the whole thing here yet, since it is still a WIP outside of the American continent.

Hopefully you find these useful, especially for showing just where this duchy of Texas will be :).

The La Plata priorities and in more or less measure for the rest of Ibero America (the more wide and in my opinion, adequate denomyn) are or must been the Estate(nation) building process, in the institutional mean mainly.
Because OTL, the colonial institutions were destroyed/discredited or the remnants were unsuitable for the newborn Americans Nations after the decades long period in what revolutionaries,civils and/or international wars were fought for years and sometimes was hard to found and point to start/end from one to another or for differentiate the differents kinds that were fought on simultaneous way.

The new nation priorities/'goals' must been create/built their geographic and institutional infrastructure but TTL, strengthening it, increasing and intensifying both its power/effective authority and its scope gradually to all its territory; not only quantitative but also qualitative. At the same time, the estate institutions should gradually become respected and gain the loyalty of all sectors and social groups by including them and integrating them by giving them a sense of belonging to society as a whole.
Avoiding or regaining loyalty that OTL belonged to charismatic leaders ('Caudillos') rural or 'Urban' one. This was a situation that was aggravated historically by the excess of centralism/unitarism that ignore the regionalism or want to eliminate/subdue it instead of while respect the local political and/or culturally autonomy integrating to the national 'project' and include them.
The above with the concurrent factor of the 'Caudillismo' that was at same time (OTL) a cause and consequence and a vicious circle from both chronic political instability and social/economics exclusion/repression.

I haven't focused that much in that aspect, but I will include that in the update about culture and political movements in Latin America. Basically, the fact that the United Colombia was the one that better perfomed in the Independence Wars instead of disunated La Plata means that most nations have decided that total overhauls of the national institutions and organizations are neccesary to succed. I completly agree with you that all of this is neccesary to create modern, strong nations. Thank you.

While the Philippines and Borneo would be too far for that TTL Colombia or Chile could had influence directly but perhaps in an indirect way... thought an TTL , major shipbuilding? and an increased or new bi or trilateral commerce? Would be commercial/economical factible this kind of development and/or commercial relations with?

Chile will probably become a major shipbuilder. And yes, after a while economical and commercial influence will be factible and likely.

Within Mexico and the Philippines there were, from the colonial time, importants historic and economics connections that perhaps could be resumed or perhaps according to how events evolve may have the opportunity to 'grow' and / or redefine them.

Finally with respect to Spain beside from strengthen their control, perhaps it's probably that after becoming ,the Philippines Islands, one of its remaining possessions...
I guess it's likely that will increase its importance for Spanish,for both Liberals or 'Ultras' (conservatives / royalists) decision-makers. would be likely that more military and naval units to be redeployed there and/or politics to stimulate emigration to intensify and increase its area of effective control.
At the same time, it is presumed that the traditional economic and commercial colonial restrictions will be attenuated or eliminated (of course, the ideology of the Spanish rulers will affect the possible beginning and degree of implementation of the policies mentioned above.

Which in turn could will affect the possible / probable Spanish reaction to the presence and activities of British adventurers, especially one as successful as J.Brooke; As well as of course the means to carry it out or carry out a policy to fight against Brooke and his local allies / supporters, both local authorities in Manila and the central ones in Madrid.

More of that in the update about Europe, but you're mostly right.

Thank you very much again for an excellent imput!

I have just finished reading through this TL and I'm seriously impressed. I can't wait to see what you have planned for the Mexican-American war, @Red_Galiray

I've also noticed you have been using Vicky 2 maps to show the story's progress. I also like to use it as a basemap, and have made a number of improvements to it, if you are interested in using an expanded version (such as showing Antarctic claims between La Plata, Chile, or others). I am also working on a version of the map that shows major rivers and canals, which could be useful to you. Let me know if you would like to have it as well, so I can PM it to you. I'd rather not post the whole thing here yet, since it is still a WIP outside of the American continent.

Hopefully you find these useful, especially for showing just where this duchy of Texas will be :).

Thank you very much. I'm really glad you've liked it. As for the war, you're lucky because I was just going to post it. I'd really like to use those maps, I'm sure they will be useful to me. PM them to me please.

Chapter 27: Mexican-American War.
En una esquina, el favorito de todos...

"Today I assume several important tittles and several important responsabilities, as I become the new Emperor. However, I'm above all a Mexican man, who fights for the wellbeing of his fatherland, for the wellbeing of his people and for God's will. That's the major responsability every patriot shares"
-Agustin II, Emperor of Mexico.

While South America only seemed to go from crisis to crisis, and from war to war, Mexico still lived its golden age.

The Empire was growing economically and militarily, and with Colombia stumbling during the Grand Crisis, they became the continent’s second largest economy just after the United States in 1843. However, that year a tragedy reached the Empire. Agustin I, Emperor of Mexico, King of Guatemala and Gran Duke of Texas, had died.

The Emperor, the father, protector and liberator of La Patria and the Mexican people, was a very beloved figure through Mexico and even the rest of Latin America. A Colombian newspaper dealing with his death even claimed that he was the second most beloved Libertador, after Miranda of course. The mourning, it’s said, lasted months. Still, from the Mexican Imperial Palace bells chimed and the people could hear a man yelling while waving the Imperial Flag: ¡El Emperador ha muerto! ¡Larga vida al Emperador! Indeed, after the death of his father, crown Prince Agustin Jeronimo, now known as Agustin II ascended to the throne of the Mexican Empire.

200px-Iturbide.jpg

Agustin Jeronimo, Crown Prince of the Mexican Empire, Duke of Monterrey and Knight of the order of Guadalupe.

Agustin II was just a little boy when the Independence Wars started, becoming the Crown Prince (Principe Imperial) of the Mexican Empire upon his father’s ascension to the throne. He studied in Ampleforth College in England, with his father giving him a letter that told him to “be a good son, a good brother, a good patriot who will be able to perform with dignity the charges the Divine Providence assigned [him]”. He would then stay a time in Colombia, meeting important figures such as Miranda, Santander and Bolivar. Miranda even offered honorary Colombian citizenship to him. In his personal life, it was rumored he had sired a daughter with a Peruvian woman (fact proved in 1921). Nonetheless, he married Louise Marie Thérèse d'Artois, the daughter of Charles Ferdinand, Carlos X’s son and thus the granddaughter of the French King in 1839 when she was twenty years old. Agustin II was her senior by twelve years.

The marriage, a political one (reportedly, though they were friends, the couple lacked romantic feelings for each other) managed to both legitimize the Mexican Monarchy in the eyes of the world and tie it to France, giving it a valuable ally. They would have four children, three daughters and one son, who became Crown Prince Carlos Augusto de Iturbide-Borbón (born 1842, a few months before Emperor Agustin I’s death)

Though most of his time as Crown Prince was spent in foreign countries, Agustin II would often visit his motherland, touring Mexico City and other important centers such as Monterrey. He, like his father, was a beloved figure and thus, even though the mourning was greater, his coronation was widely celebrated. Representatives from France, the United Kingdom, Colombia, the United States, La Plata and Brazil attended. The most prominent ones being the Emperor of Brazil Don Pedro II (who reportedly told Agustin II that becoming an Emperor of any nation was the worst possible fate), Colombia’s President Esteban Cruz and American President William Henry Harrison.

Louise_Marie_Therese_Bourbon_Artois_1819_1864.jpg

Louise Marie Therese d'Artois, Empress of Mexico.

The political situation in Mexico was stable. Following the Imperial Treaties, Agustin I was able to behave in a more absolutist manner, and thus the Mexican General Elections of 1842 saw few changes, with Urrea remaining as Prime Minister. The nation was flourishing, but there still were problems to resolve when Agustin II became Emperor.

The main problem within the Empire was in the Kingdom of Guatemala, that is, Central America. The area had been given certain liberties and reform had taken place, but that wasn’t enough. The Mayan majority there often rose up in open revolt, with movement aimed at Mayan Restoration and secession common. The area proved to be a headache for Mexico, and most importantly a giant money drainer. The other big problem, as always, was the United States.

In the American elections of 1844, the Democrat Party’s candidate, Lewis Cass won over the Liberal Party’s candidate, the incumbent president William Henry Harrison. Cass was a strong proponent of state sovereignty, believing that states should be the ones to decide on questions such as slavery. Thus, he didn’t want the Congress to intervene in Dixie, which infuriated the abolitionist north.

lewis-cass.jpg

Lewis Cass.

Cass had served beforehand as a US military commander during the war of 1814, and after that as governor of several territories he managed to acquire via treaties with the Native Americans. Lewis was a strong supporter of Indian Removal, supporting the Indian Removal Act that nonetheless failed to pass due to opposition from the then President Webster. During the election, he managed to ally with former candidates van Buren and Adams, on the basis of their common goal of finally passing an Indian Removal Act. Henry Clay, one of the most prominent politicians of the age, rallied against this. Clay was himself a racist, even describing Native Americans as lower forms of life, but even he thought that removing them was going too far. Some historians say his change of perspective was provoked for his brief visits to Colombia and Mexico. The passing of such a disgusting act was thus stopped for a second time, with help from northern pro-abolitionist elements in both main parties. This, however, would cause deep divisions in both.

When it comes to economics, the Cass administration was successful in continuing and expanding on the economic recovery Webster had started. The US economy continued growing at a very fast pace. He also stopped the efforts to industrialize the South, instead trying to expand its cotton industry yet more and supporting commercial relations between states. This ended making several states, such as New York, intimately related to Dixie when it came to economics.

In foreign policy, Cass took a much harsher stand when it came to the southern neighbor. He didn’t hide American ambitions over the Mexican North, and that damaged relations between the two nations greatly. Still, trade between the Empire and the US grew, though France remained as Mexico’s main provider of industrial goods. Unfortunately, that meant that Mexico’s industry didn’t grow that much during the age. When it comes to the northern neighbor, Cass preferred to not provoke the British in any way and thus quietly accepted British ownership of the territories lost in the War of 1814. There was a dispute with the British over the Oregon territory, but Cass decided that relations with the United Kingdom needed to be repaired and thus offered them special commerce deals, especially in cotton, while letting the Oregon issue be an elephant in the living room he wouldn’t pursue.

2c730c6c4c86d12c2aa58ea75cac9a81.jpg

The Disputed Territory.

The American forces remained pitiful, but some effort to strengthen them in the frontier with Mexico was made. The Mexican Imperial Army was still far more powerful and better organized and trained, but the United States had far better logistics and supply capacity.

Summarizing, Cass’ presidency was a time of grow and stability for the United States. During his presidency he repeated his promises of finally manifesting America’s destiny, but both he and the War Hawks knew that Mexico was under France’s protection. But things changed.

We can’t delve too deeply into France’s situation. The country had been having problems since 1843 when a Constitutional Crisis started because King Carlos X tried to turn France into an absolutist monarchy once more. France had been until them a constitutional monarchy where Bonapartists and Liberal elements had ruled over parliament. Napoleon’s influence could still be felt. Carlos X didn’t like the state of France in the sightless and tried to suspend free press and arrange a new parliament under his complete control. The parliament refused and thus the crisis started. We shall explain it in more detail later, but the important part for Mexico was that at the end of the crisis Carlos X had lost his throne and the Bourbons were not in the French throne any more.

Agustin II was concerned because France had been Mexico’s main ally and trading partner, and main deterrent for America against war with his Empire. He didn’t really care for Carlos X as a person (one of his letters describing him as “an old man trapped in old ways”) but there was someone who did inside the Empire: Empress Louise, Carlos’ granddaughter. Even when the Mexican Prime Minister General Urrea didn’t approve, the Mexican government released an official statement denouncing France’s change of regime. Agustin II dismissed Urrea as Prime Minister due to this, and Daniel Jacome, a Mexican industrialist with French ties became the new head of government. Jacome wasn’t favored by the high ranking military men of the Empire and, being a part of the Federal-Liberal coalition instead of the National Patriotic Party’s plurality his government was weak, the only reason he was able to govern at all being the endorsement by the Partido Imperial Monarquico (Imperial Monarchic Party), a tiny party that nonetheless gave him a tiny majority.

220px-Valent%C3%ADn_G%C3%B3mez_Far%C3%ADas%2C_portrait.JPG

Daniel Jacome.

In the United States, which had since a while decided that European affairs were not their business, the only interest the French crisis sparked was centered in the fact that Mexico was now ally-less. Then newly elected President Cass didn’t want to immediately start a war against the Empire though, judging (correctly) that such a conflict would be difficult and would probably results in thousands of casualties. His “secret speech” to the War Department (whose War Hawks demanded a war) underlined the fact that a war with Mexico wouldn’t be like going against Indian raiders but against the modern Army of a modern state. Still, he continued with his anti-Mexico rhetoric and tried to pass an Army expansion act, which ultimately failed due to concerns by both the Mexican and British Empires. One thing he did manage was expanding the US Navy Southern Main Base in Louisiana, which became the most important American Navy port.

Mexico, on the other hand, didn’t really want war with the US, but it did manage to expand its military. Jacome’s government also focused in settling another long-forgotten territory: California. He was mostly unsuccessful due to distance, except for the capital, Yerba Buena which became a minor city. Relations between the Empire and the Federation continued to go south during the following years.

The American 1848 saw Cass win a reelection in what’s one of the most controversial elections, since Cass lost the popular vote but won thanks to the electoral college, and then only by a couple of votes. The second Cass administration mostly continued with the policies of the first, not being able to pass any laws due to an Opposition controlled Congress. In Mexico, the General Elections of 1846 allowed Jacome to finally get a working majority and thus secured his post as Prime Minister. Things went on stably in both countries, even though Mexico failed to secure a new Great Power protector.

Francis_Samuel_Marryat,_San_Francisco,_lithograph.jpg

Yerba Buena, California.

In 1850 though, things changed when Cass was assassinated. His second term had been going smoothly until a minor finantial crisis, the Panic of 1849 started in January of that year. An unemployed man named Thomas Burnet who was unhappy with the crisis and blamed Cass for it killed him when Cass attended to a theater function.

The situation was unprecedented and the United States Constitution was vague about what to do. It stated that that the Vice President would “act accordingly” in case the President was unable to fulfill his duties. However, the people disagree in whether that meant the Vice President would become president or acting president, and whether he could serve the remainder of the President’s term or if elections had to be held. The Supreme Court decided that the Vice President would become the new President upon taking an oath, but the Liberal controlled Congress refused to accept Cass’ Vice President, William Orlando Butler as new President. Butler thus only became acting President and the emergency elections of 1851 were called.

This ended up backfiring in the Liberal Party, as most people, angry with this movement of theirs, decided to vote Democrat instead, allowing the Democrat Candidate, James K. Polk, to win. Polk promised two things: a strong hand towards the British and finally acquiring the Mexican north.

James_K_Polk-AB.jpeg
220px-Anastasio_Bustamante_y_Oseguera%2C_portrait.jpg

From left to right: President James K. Polk and Prime Minister Eduardo Castillo.

The Mexican elections of 1850 were thus dominated by the issue of what to do in regards to the United States and how to act upon their explicit threat of war. National Patriotic Party won a majority and Jacome left his office to Eduardo Castillo, an Imperial Army General and Baron of Veracruz who had nonetheless never commanded any unit. Castillo tried to negotiate with the Americans, making it clear that Mexico wouldn’t cede any territories. The United States on the other hand was wary of directly declaring war without a casus belli. (Un)fortunately, that casus belli came when Americans became a majority in the Duchy of Texas and asked annexation and the Mexican government refused to allow this, putting down a rebellion that tried to secede and join the US. This gave the US the excuse it needed.

In April 17th, 1851, President Polk asked Congress to declare war in the Empire of Mexico. In April 29th, the Primer Regimiento de Infanteria de Tejas was attacked by an American regiment. The Mexican-American War had started.

92785-050-A1E91ABA.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting update... Only some detail:

The main problem within the Empire was in the Kingdom of Guatemala, that is, Central America. The area had been given certain liberties and reform had taken place, but that wasn’t enough. The Aztec majority there often rose up in open revolt, with movement aimed at Aztec Restoration and secession common. The area proved to be a headache for Mexico, and most importantly a giant money drainer

While in the Mexican side of TTL, mine historical knowledge isn't than deeper as for I would can give a major/best critics...
Beside the likely autonomist/secessionist trends/movement in Central America from the Criollo elites.
Would be more probable that the chronic insurgency and their military/political movement from Guatemala mainly but that likely include (at least partially due in OTL from south Mexico to Belize and Honduras were Mayan spoken regions) had/must be from Mayan origin.
But for the above reason isn't likely that would be a self denomyn nor be named them as Aztecs because this was the historical core from Mayan region and if I not misremember bas...their use as a synonym for Mexico and/or their people ,after the homonym hegemonic ethnic group from central Mexico,it's a 'modern' one.

Mayan language distribution:

Distribution-myn2.png

Last edited:
I'm sure you could damper the chances of future revolts by the natives (weirdly referred here as Aztecs) if the Mexican imperial government offered small land plots (cuarenta hectáreas y un mula) to natives willing to settle down in the sparsely inhabited northern lands. You would dilute the native population in the lands they hold a majority, offer an opportunity for those willing to leave to populate lands that would otherwise be threatened by Americans and they can serve as a buffer against the more wild native tribes yet to be pacified. The latter I'm sure also have beef with the United States so I'm sure the Mexican Army can recruit some and use them to make serious trouble to the Americans.

Imagine the Mexicans arming a yuge group of Cherokee and Creek Indians to raze New Orleans to the ground. It'd be fun.

I found this TL two days ago and just got caught up. This is a great TL and in an region that has not been covered very much. Subscribed.

Your English is very good, I would say better than most of the TLs written by native English speakers.

I know English is very difficult for adult learners as it is not phonetic (why does it start with "ph"?) at all, especially with so many homonyms
(words that are pronounced the same but have different meanings ((sail -sale, to - too - two, there - their - they're, your - yore - you're ))
and homographs (words that are spelled the same, may or may not be pronounced the same, but have different meanings depending on the context. (( bow - for an arrow, bow - of a ship, bow - to the king, bow - for a musical instrument )).

I am looking forward to seeing how this TL develops. Is there any chance that we could see an independent California come about in this TL. The California gold should be discovered soon with Mexico sending more settlers to the area. I'm sure Sutter and Marshall have been butterflied away, but someone will discover gold soon. There will be no stopping the gold rush. Americans, Mexicans, British, Chinese, Colombians, etc. are coming.

I would like to see California become an independent bi-lingual country including all the territory of Alta California. The reason for bi-lingual is that there will be just too many English speaking people in the country after the gold rush. Do you think this is possible?

Again, really enjoying the timeline.

Thanks,
MrBill

Status
Not open for further replies.