Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a little thing I cooked up. My hand hurts.

This is set in my Dragon Age modern AU, mostly to help me contextualise the geopolitics involved in my fanfic. Most things should be self-explanatory. Some notes: the Starkhaven Accord is an alliance between the Free Marches city states to defend against Orlais, Nevarra, the dwarves, Tevinter and who else wants to piss on their lawn. Think a cross between NATO and a watered-down EU, if the EU included Somalia (Kirkwall).

The dwarven kingdoms benefitted greatly from industrialisation and have reunited. Having led a number of revolutionary wars against its neighbours in the Storm Age, and after subjugating Ferelden as a client state for much of the Blessed Age in a cold war with Orlais, the dwarves now focus on reclaiming the Deep Roads from the Darkspawn once again. Many of the Deep Roads have been reopened and are kept clear of enemies, and a number of colony thaigs have been begun. However, only the main surface entrances of Orzammar and Kal-Sharok are shown on the map. All in all, the Dwarven Republic numbers some 30 million souls, spread across all of Thedas.

Not shown on the map are the civil wars currently raging in Ferelden and Orlais, due to the irregular nature of these wars. At the time of this writing, the town of Redcliffe is controlled by rebel mages under Grand Enchanter Fiona, and most of Ferelden south-west of Lake Calenhad is no longer under government control and being fought over by rebel mages and Templars. In Orlais, the Chalonais rebel forces have seized control of much of the Dales, including the cities of Lydes, Verchiel, and Montsimmard. The area around Halamshiral and the north and west of the country remain under control of the Loyalist army.

(Scaled down, full size map on my deviantArt account.)

68ybkVC.jpg

I didn't see you ask that about Command & Conquer Red Alert 2!

Oi! Red Alert 2 gave one of the most plausible ways to knock out US nuclear capacity. A bald man with a tattoo on his head rang the American nuclear silos with a big red telephone and using his psychic powers he made them all blow up underground. :mad::p

Oi! Red Alert 2 gave one of the most plausible ways to knock out US nuclear capacity. A bald man with a tattoo on his head rang the American nuclear silos with a big red telephone and using his psychic powers he made them all blow up underground. :mad::p
Exactly! Besides, who doesn't want to hear "No comrade premier, it has only begun"?

And yes, Santa migrated, okay? Leave the poor man alone, he's busy enough bringing presents to all of you! :p

Just a little thing I cooked up. My hand hurts.

This is set in my Dragon Age modern AU, mostly to help me contextualise the geopolitics involved in my fanfic. Most things should be self-explanatory. Some notes: the Starkhaven Accord is an alliance between the Free Marches city states to defend against Orlais, Nevarra, the dwarves, Tevinter and who else wants to piss on their lawn. Think a cross between NATO and a watered-down EU, if the EU included Somalia (Kirkwall).

The dwarven kingdoms benefitted greatly from industrialisation and have reunited. Having led a number of revolutionary wars against its neighbours in the Storm Age, and after subjugating Ferelden as a client state for much of the Blessed Age in a cold war with Orlais, the dwarves now focus on reclaiming the Deep Roads from the Darkspawn once again. Many of the Deep Roads have been reopened and are kept clear of enemies, and a number of colony thaigs have been begun. However, only the main surface entrances of Orzammar and Kal-Sharok are shown on the map. All in all, the Dwarven Republic numbers some 30 million souls, spread across all of Thedas.

Not shown on the map are the civil wars currently raging in Ferelden and Orlais, due to the irregular nature of these wars. At the time of this writing, the town of Redcliffe is controlled by rebel mages under Grand Enchanter Fiona, and most of Ferelden south-west of Lake Calenhad is no longer under government control and being fought over by rebel mages and Templars. In Orlais, the Chalonais rebel forces have seized control of much of the Dales, including the cities of Lydes, Verchiel, and Montsimmard. The area around Halamshiral and the north and west of the country remain under control of the Loyalist army.

Damn, that is one fine-looking map.

i've had the map-making bug again lately and decided to revisit an old idea of mine. this is still a work-in-progress, but it's supposed to be a reinterpretation of Nineteen Eighty-Four: the three superpowers of Oceania, Eurasia, and Eastasia fighting over a disputed zone don't exist, but in their place are a number of different powers filling roughly equivalent roles:
  • the Soviet Union, obviously, fills in for Eurasia and is the closest analogy to the original powers from the book--in addition to incorporating the Eastern Bloc into its formal territory, it's also corralled most of Western Europe into a new power bloc, including Turkey but actually excluding Britain (which is TTL's North Korea as a direct analogy to Airstrip One), Ireland (which is basically South Korea; the islands between it and Great Britain which are not directly connected to Britain itself form part of TTL's DMZ), and Iceland (which is basically a supersized Rapture, probably with elements of Galter's Gulch as well).
  • the PRC is the closest equivalent to Eastasia, but is much smaller than in the source material partly because of Soviet Central Asia, but the Chinese claim those territories, and Korea (probably unified under the Kims but more prosperous since it's not completely isolated ITTL) is practically a Chinese province here. an idea i have is that southernmost China, including Hong Kong, may actually be part of the "disputed zone" country that i'll elaborate on further down. Japan is independent of China, unlike in the book, but is no better off than the other authoritarian powers, having gone back to its militant-fascist culture from when it was an empire; it may be that Japan was never defeated in TTL's WW2 and is doing its own thing in constant competition with the Americans in the Pacific, but there's so much other shit going on that they're pretty low on the list of priorities for everyone that isn't Korea and possibly sometimes China maybe.
  • Oceania is the most fractured of the Orwellian powers, though most of it is still missing from the map: Airstrip One, as i mentioned before, is the closest thing in terms of ideology but isn't a superpower at all, instead being a fascist state dominated by the personality cult of the possibly fictitious Big Brother (though when i get to that i plan to use actual historical figures for who is Big Brother at any given time), and they've got such an inflated ego that they think they're the dominant superpower when in fact they're dependent on mercy supplies from surrounding powers; in terms of power, the North American Union is closer to Orwell's Oceania, a democracy in theory though anything but in practice, it's a police state formed from a merger of the United States, Mexico, and all British territory north of the Tropic of Cancer (though Mexico is more like a protectorate than an actual part of the country and experiences even more violence than IOTL due to the oppressive nature of the NAU ITTL); South America is more stable, basically divided between a slightly less-oppressive Brazil and an imperialist Argentina which, without Britain to credibly object, has gobbled up the Falklands and also claims Antarctica, with most of the other South American states being satellites of Brazil, except in the north where they're the stomping grounds/distractions for the NAU; the Caribbean is probably almost entirely American satellites or actual territories (based on when they were IOTL) but are probably home to revolutionary movements funded by the Soviets, similar to OTL; South Africa has expanded northward with persisting apartheid, white supremacy, and delusions of grandeur--think of them as Draka-lite; Australia is a militant-imperialist quasi-supremacist state which fear mongers towards the Indonesians north of them but is too scared to attack (the next section explains why) so they duke it out with Japan instead; New Zealand is a rare anomaly in this world of totalitarianism, being a small bastion of democracy
  • finally, the "disputed zone" is reimagined as not being disputed at all: it's actually the "Equatorial Federation," aka the Free World or the Last Democracy, which formed mainly because the rise in authoritarianism caused millions to flee their homelands and they eventually settled in North/Central/East Africa, the Middle East, and South/Southeast Asia, benefiting from a huge influx of learned individuals (which, even if it might not be realistic, would include alot of OTL's best minds and other influential figures, including pop cultural figures) and the population boom; as a result, the Equatorial Federation is actually the sole superpower in the world, and is admittedly a very idealized state (but hey, this whole thing isn't exactly plausible--it's fuckin' Nineteen Eighty-Four! :p) but successfully stands against pretty much all threats with its own nuclear arsenal and countermeasures to defend against the other powers (particularly the Soviets and Chinese, who they come to blows with the most), and they even have some of their own satellite states like New Zealand, Ireland, and Madagascar; i may end up expanding their territory a bit more into the Pacific, but this one, at least, is essentially done

so, yeah, this may be even more implausible than my ASB ATL :p :D one thing i'm considering is that this may also be a pop culture send-up, including references to alot of dystopian fiction--in particular, the events of V for Vendetta may be reimagined as taking place in Britain here and being the beginning of the end for Ingsoc, and a Soviet-American War basically being Red Dawn. i also decided to take the opportunity to try out an idea i came up with for maritime borders by using circles instead of squares, just an aesthetic choice which, as you can see, doesn't really work for all of them and some cases i deliberately avoided using, particularly for small, singular islands (at least as far as mapmaking is concerned) like Bermuda

Not Quite 1984 Map.png

Last edited:
Damn, that is one fine-looking map.

I was gonna say. How much training does it take to make such quality maps?

Thanks! It's actually one of the first maps I made, and probably the first in two years or so. Most of the work was tracing the topographical map that came with DA:O for the coastlines and rivers. Then I simply added the cities, national borders (without overlap) and the rest was fairly trivial. Nevermind that the grid around the border is fairly meaningless :'D

Considering how hard it would be to transport the navy and the densly populated regions of Germany that are really poor it's not worth it, even northern eastern France seems a stretch.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Remember when we all did Alt-1984's?

1861- Or The Cruel Tortures of the Last Man in Europe, Robert Smith

1861, written in 1816, was a novel by E. Blair regarding a world in which Napoleon succeeded in his Invasion of Russia, and set 49 years in the future, in which the world has been divided under three spheres (As seen in the map below). In Blue, the Empire of Europa. In Red, the United Corporation of Oceania. In Grey, the Oriental Federation of East-Asia.

The Novel takes place on the Island of Great Britain (Renamed Dockyard 1), which is gripped in a state of perpetual war time hysteria, ruled by a Corporate Government (Clearly an amalgam of the East India Trade Company and the United States of America) that crushes any dissent. The protagonist, Robert Smith, is a young Clerk in the Central Ministry who becomes romantically involved with a Factory Worker named Sofia, beginning a Taboo relationship with her. Eventually, they are conscripted by Sofia's Foreman, who revels himself to be a Eurasian Spy with the goal of overthrowing the Government and reinstate the Monarchy, who have been hiding in Eurasia. He provides the pair with a Bible, religions having become taboo in Oceania, and informed them of how they will resist. However it is discovered to have been a fiendish ruse by the Foreman, who is a Government Stooge, who arrests them soon after. They are imprisonment and tortured, with the Foreman revealing to Smith the Nihilistic Insanity of a State in a perpetual War, hoping to break Smith and turn him into another loyal citizen, or else he will be forced to execute him. Smith breaks, but is executed anyway.

The Novel was widely banned in the United Kingdom upon its initial publication, though proved popular in France and the Americas. The ban in the United Kingdom was only overturned in 1978; it still remains banned on the Isle Of Man and Jersey, although not Guernsey.

1884.png

1884.png

Last edited:
Remember when we all did Alt-1984's?

Interesting, although I'd expect Oceania to be a new British Empire which has turned to extreme monarchism in reaction to the "radical" French revolutionaries.

I'm also working on an ancient 1984, with the three powers being Rome, Persia and Egypt.

The below is a WIP of what we'd consider 'Latin America' (ITTL South America is called 'Franco-Iberian *America or Ibero-America*) in one of my off-again on-again TL's; outside of the Caribbean islands and a small bit of the Franco-Aragonese border in the Amazon I only have vague ideas on borders (the basic areas are there, just not the specifics).

The map shows the area in 1800 by which point only the deepest part of the Amazon was left unexplored; European colonization of the America's began slightly sooner and had less wars (that is the wars did'nt really spread across the Atlantic much, even while the Metropoles might be at war with one another), so the area became colonized a bit faster.
Do note that I have not done any internal borders and some places do hold a fair amount of autonomy (Portuguese Mexico for example is a much more laid back place and, aside from outlawing Human Sacrifice and other such nasty things the Portuguese have'nt really tried to suppress indigenous culture very much) but are still colonies or integral parts of the European metropoles.

Oh, and in case anyone's wondering, the countries shown are K. England, E. France, R. Netherlands, K. Castile, K. Portugal, K. Scotland, C. Aragon and K. Naffaro/Navarre (OTL Barbados).

Any ideas on specific borders are welcome.

*ITTL North America is known as Borealia, though South America I've not decided on a name for.

EA Latin America 1800 WIP.png

Last edited:
Interesting, although I'd expect Oceania to be a new British Empire which has turned to extreme monarchism in reaction to the "radical" French revolutionaries.

I'm also working on an ancient 1984, with the three powers being Rome, Persia and Egypt.

Assuming it's limited to around the ancient Mediterranean rather then global?

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'

I guess E. Blair fears the US taking Britain place in the World and taking over Britain itself.

I'm looking forward to your Ancient 1984.

Status
Not open for further replies.