Long Live Sacred Germany: The Oster Conspiracy | Alternate Timeline

Should I continue and develop this into a full timeline?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stalin might feel emboldened to send troops through Poland into Czechoslovakia. This also depends on if the Polish government manages to smooth things over with Stalin, as it had been trying to do for a while at this point.
Poland indeed did try to warm the relations with the USSR after the polish-soviet non-aggression pact from 1932. However, this in the end ended up to be just one-sided gestures, as shown during the Great Terror when the Soviets additionally targeted the polish minority living within the Soviet Union.

Would Poland join France & Czechoslovakia? The Poles took advantage of the Czech's travails and seized long-disputed territory of Tscheschen / Cieszyn. They might prefer the Germans to the Russians.
The Germans were seen as more predictable, but overall Poland's tactic from the 1930s was to simply do not try to get involved herself first, to don't end up fighting alone. If France and Britain attack, then Poland might be encouraged to make a move as well. Sure, Poland would give up on Zaolzie, but she could in exchange get the german-owned southern-eastern parts of Silesia where there used to be the Poles too, an area significantly larger than Zaolzie. Diplomatically speaking, Poland could easily persuade the west that it should go to Poland, because it would make Czechoslovakia less surrounded by Germany.

Good riddance ...

Edit: I just thought about it a bit and it could be a nice bit of poetic justice if there were a fire in the Reichstag in which he would find his end x'D

I'm afraid that TL is buried somewhere in my watched threads ... Will try to dig it out but won't make any promises, if memory serves me right the TL that I'm thinking of died more than a decade ago.
Yes indeed although the downside is Hitler ITTL is seen as practically 'innocent' and has waaaay more fans as the 'Greatest German Ever'. (See the quote in the Prologue from ITTL 2018)

Fire in the Reichstag would be more appropriate for Goering I think. But yeah once again, a be careful what you wish for situation really...

Wow that is quite a long time ago, no need to bother trying to dig that one out but thanks anyway.

Edit: I just thought about it a bit and it could be a nice bit of poetic justice if there were a fire in the Reichstag in which he would find his end x'D
I really disagree with the idea of poetic justice. It's not inherently good as a storytelling device, and there is no reason to believe such a thing would happen ITTL. I've seen people marvel at poetic justice as if it's some act of storytelling genius, when it really is the oldest trick in the book and usually is utilized badly. It makes me think back to Clausewitz pointing out the commonplace absurdity of hailing the most basic military ideas like flanking as sparks of genius.

Last edited:
I really disagree with the idea of poetic justice. It's not inherently good as a storytelling device, and there is no reason to believe such a thing would happen ITTL.
I think in most fiction it's good (it done well, but you could say the same about any storytelling device). In a plausible alternate history, unless it's a while after the PoD it's probably best avoided.

I really disagree with the idea of poetic justice. It's not inherently good as a storytelling device, and there is no reason to believe such a thing would happen ITTL. I've seen people marvel at poetic justice as if it's some act of storytelling genius, when it really is the oldest trick in the book and usually is utilized badly. It makes me think back to Clausewitz pointing out the commonplace absurdity of hailing the most basic military ideas like flanking as sparks of genius.
I think in most fiction it's good (it done well, but you could say the same about any storytelling device). In a plausible alternate history, unless it's a while after the PoD it's probably best avoided.

Well, I think it depends, if it's forced yeah then it's quite transparent to be a "cheap" storytelling device. As @Flavius Iulius Maiorianus says it's best avoided in AH with his reasoning likely being that it would seem forced to fit in a storytelling device (I'm putting words in his mouth and he's free to correct me) but with the context that the Oster conspiracy provides (In the situation that will likely be at our hands ITTL with widespread unrest/violence, a fire in the Reichstag would not be unlikely making it quite probable that those inside get trapped in the flames.) I see a possible way for it to happen without it appearing as such.

In any case, it was just an idea I had that I thought could nicely frame Hitler's "tenure" as chancellor but I do somewhat see your point.

At some point I'll need to read Clausewitz' book .

TOC: Part One | Chapter Two New
Part One | Chapter II

September 30th, 1938

He could already almost taste the hot tea Elise would have ready for him. Thoughts of her smile made him smile too as he walked the streets, apparently not noticing the looks he was getting from passers-by.

It was good to be going home.

But as cheerful as he was, when a scream tore through the calm evening air, his senses immediately sprang to action. He was off-duty now, but that didn’t matter, even if he hadn’t been an officer in the Berlin Police Department, Luther would have never ignored cries for help.

Swinging back around, his eyes quickly found the source of the commotion. An old man had been cornered by two youthful-looking thugs, whose vulture-like grins were having the opposite effect grins usually have on faces. But it was not the smiles that drew Luther’s eyes, it was the brown armband one of the thugs wore with a splash of red and black in its centre.

As he strode forward, Luther’s mood shifted completely. Ever since ’33 whoever wore one of those armbands seemed to feel as though they could do whatever they wanted. And as time had gone on, both the number of armbands and the boldness of their wearers had increased.

“What are you doing?”

He frowned and grabbed, not very gently, the Armband Boy’s shoulder. He turned around and met Luther’s gaze, his grin disappearing in an instant. Pulling away from Luther’s grip, he raised the arm with the armband to point at the old man cowering powerlessly.

“Jew!”

Just one word. As if that one word was enough to explain everything.

Luther’s frown deepened, but before he could do or say anything, Armband Boy’s companion, who seemed far less sure of himself, fearfully sputtered an apology and something about going home. He tugged on his friend’s sleeve and whispered something to him.

Reluctantly, Armband tore his cocksure stare away from Luther, shot a threatening glance toward his lost prey, and left along with his friend.

“Are you alright, sir?”

The old man nodded, his face flush with relief and gratitude.

“Thank you. Thank you.”

It seemed to be all he could get out. He must have been pretty badly ruffled, Luther thought. Sighing, he watched the old man get on his way; and then turned back to get home himself.

Though he tried to picture Elise’s smile again, his thoughts were preoccupied and only a dim shadow of it came to mind. He no longer tasted hot tea, and when he eventually walked through the door, his greeting lacked its usual liveliness.

But the response was livelier than ever. And it was not from Elise.

“Cousin! Elise said you'd be here earlier!”

Momentarily, the shock induced by Walter’s booming voice pushed out all the dark thoughts in Luther’s head but as he was embraced by his cousin and automatically hugged back, new thoughts took their place. He did not like his cousin much. After all, Walter owned one of those brown armbands.

“Did you listen to the speech this morning? I rushed over here soon as I heard it!”

As Luther tried to piece together why exactly his cousin was standing in his living room, he noticed Elise waving at him from the corner leading to their room, an awkward smile on her face. She was fully aware of how Luther felt about Walter, especially when he was in a political mood, but evidently, he couldn’t have expected her to stop the man from visiting his own family.

“So? Will you come with me to join up?”

Walter’s pointed finish to his ecstatic speech brought Luther back to him. As he looked into his cousin’s eyes, he noticed an uncomfortably familiar glint, though he couldn’t place where he’d seen it before.

“Sorry, Waltz, go where?”

“Come on, haven’t you been listening? The Führer spoke to the nation over the radio, apparently the arrogant desperados in the West have refused to let Germany stop Czechoslovakia’s crimes against our brethren in the Sudetenland. Hitler said he had put every effort into resolving everything peacefully, but I mean, I don’t understand how he can be so patient and so generous when Germans are being murdered as we speak! If it were up to me... but anyway he knows what he’s doing, he’s given them every chance, he says he won’t resolve to war unless he has to, I believe that for sure! But I don’t think the bullets will stay in the barrels this time, Austria was one thing but this is another, you can’t expect Germany to let Germans be oppressed and killed and pilfered, there’s going to be a war, damn right there is, and if anything I hope the French and British get in so we can go in for a jolly round two; what I’m saying is, I’ve quit my job and I’m signing up for the army, I’m going to defend Germans if it comes to it, me and the lads have already thrown a party, we’re finally getting a chance to restore Germany to her glory...”

Luther could barely understand Walter’s garbled babbling, which had continued till now on a single breath that had, thank God, finally ran out. Before his red-faced cousin could take another breath for another rant, Walter jumped in.

“Speak properly, what war? What speech?”

“The Sudetenland damn it! We’re taking it if they won’t give it to us. Do you want to join the army with me or not? Damn it, Luther, I thought you’d be excited for the opportunity, it’s certainly a promotion from dealing with ragtag criminals; don’t you want justice on some true criminals?”

As his confusion began to recede, his apprehension boiled over. He may have only been practically a kid during the Great War and never fought in it, but he still remembered those years, he remembered his late father’s screamings and shakings when he had returned blind and broken, he remembered his brother’s funeral... Walter had seen none of that.

With the sickening memories making him taste bile in his throat, Luther opened the door again and gestured.

“Please leave.”

He was not angry, if anything, Luther was worried. He might not have agreed with Walter on many things, but he was still his friend, his family, and he cared. Whatever Luther’s true feelings, Walter missed them, and himself grew agitated at being shown the door.

“What’s wrong with you?”

He spat as he walked out, sparing one last angry glance at Luther’s frame before the door was shut in his face.

The glint Luther had noticed before was still there in that last glance, and now he remembered where he had seen it before. It was the same glint from all those years ago in his father’s eyes before he returned without eyes at all, the same glint in his brother’s eyes when he set off for the front; the eyes Luther could now never look into again.

An important set up for one of the fictional character's through whose eyes we will see future events on the streets of Berlin.
A bit of a bloated chapter, I'm not too proud of it. Apologies for rushing this one through, but through the coming ~2-3 months I will be almost entirely focused on another project; I am planning to write a novella about a girl named Katyusha (And I'm sure you can guess the contents of said novella) and so there will likely be little to no updates to this TL for some time. However, if you want to read 'Katyusha' in the interim period I would appreciate that and especially feedback, it will be posted to the Writer's Forum of this website.

Thank you!

ITTL AlternateHistory: Front Page, 2024 New
1714289318797.png

Interesting premise, will there be a Tom Cruise movie about this?
Thank you.

Well, the way things will turn out is a little interesting, so I actually don't think there'd be an Oster-version of Valkyrie. Nice catch on the Long Live Sacred Germany in the title as yes that is from the movie.

If there is a Valkyrie-equivalent ITTL it would be similar to OTL...

I'll try and not give away too much.