Lands of Ice and Mice: An Alternate History of the Thule

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of warfare, how vicious would the ethnic groups be compared to steppe armies? I remember it being said that Siberian Thule have many different terms for the various ambushes carried out, so I assume the other groups should have picked up some nasty strategies and tactics they may have lacked OTL.

Is this correct?

And would that blunt or slow Cossack penetration into southern Siberia?

I suspect that the closer you get to the Thule, the nastier it would get. The Chukchi and Koryak in OTL were tough customers, who successfully resisted genocide, avoided outright conquest, and managed to decapitate a Russian general. Getting battered and pushed by the Thule would probably not leave them more peaceable.

The indigenous peoples of Siberia were not idyllically peaceful OTL. The Evenk revolted in the 1720's several times. Other tribes or communities revolted or attacked. Initially they got slaughtered, given that they were using stone weapons and attacking Europeans armed with firearms and steel. But some managed to upgrade to steal and firearms. They still got slaughtered. The handicaps were lack of population, thinly distributed populations, lack of overall social and political organization to engineer sustained systematic responses.

I don't see these factors changing dramatically. The indigenous peoples would have to make major changes to really put up a fight against the Cossacks. What the Thule are, are an invading agricultural civilization. That's significantly different.

My impression was that through a combination of disease, demographics, military technology, and the backing of (and loyalty to) a strong centralized state, the Cossacks and other Russian groups went through the people of central Siberia OTL like cheap beer through the urinary system. It will take a _lot_ of strengthening to keep the Russians from at least reaching Lake Baikal before the 19th century.

(Great to see this updating again! Rule Thuleannia, Thulannia rules the snows, etc...)

This map depicts the main pathways of the Russian expansion into Siberia. Basically, they followed the or sailed up and down the rivers. Siberia was relatively flat, so even at the end of one river, there were relatively short easy portages where you could hop over into the next river system.

The Russians followed the Kama river in the center of Europe, south of Moscow, which takes the across the Urals, where the Urals are particularly low. That's nowhere near the Thule. From there, they get into the Ob river system, following tributaries to the Yenisei, which takes them to the Tunguska and Angara rivers, which gets them into the Lena river system. They'll get at least to Yakutsk and likely all the way to Okhotsk, without approaching Thule territories. So they can pretty much carve out the heart of Siberia, same as OTL.

They won't encounter the Siberian Thule in a serious way until they either sail north from Okhutsk, or take the Lena River north to the Arctic Coast. At which point, they're on the way to the Bering peninsula and the arctic territories. Going there won't be especially delayed. But what they'll find when they get there will be problematic.

My impression was that through a combination of disease, demographics, military technology, and the backing of (and loyalty to) a strong centralized state, the Cossacks and other Russian groups went through the people of central Siberia OTL like cheap beer through the urinary system. It will take a _lot_ of strengthening to keep the Russians from at least reaching Lake Baikal before the 19th century.

(Great to see this updating again! Rule Thuleannia, Thulannia rules the snows, etc...)

You got it right. If they're even five years delayed from OTL's getting to Okhotsk I'll be surprised. The Evenks and many others are still screwed.

On the other hand - there are going to be a lot of Thule, so demographics will be on their side. Disease will thin them out like crazy, but there will still be a lot of Thule left and they'll breed back fast. The Russians will be handicapped by a long long logistics chain. They'll have the advantage of superior weapons... for a while.

Ultimately, the Russians may win. Maybe. But it's going to be a real fight.

So happy to see this updated!

I'm not entirely sure the Russians will go all the way as they did IOTL. Might they stop at Okhutsk and let the Siberian Thule have Kamchatka, especially if they've been going slower against the Thule.

I'm also interested to see how the Sami will fare in the long run...

You got it right. If they're even five years delayed from OTL's getting to Okhotsk I'll be surprised. The Evenks and many others are still screwed.

On the other hand - there are going to be a lot of Thule, so demographics will be on their side. Disease will thin them out like crazy, but there will still be a lot of Thule left and they'll breed back fast. The Russians will be handicapped by a long long logistics chain. They'll have the advantage of superior weapons... for a while.

Ultimately, the Russians may win. Maybe. But it's going to be a real fight.

I generally concur that the Russian will be delayed somewhat, but not very significantly in the South. However...
Before the Russians showed up, Siberia was in flux IOTL. The main population groups east of the Yenisey, the Evenks/Evens and Yakuts, were both relatively recent newcomers who brought a pastoralist economy and lifestyle based on reindeer and (to a lesser extent) horse, replacing older (Yeneseian and possibly Uralic) hunter-gatherers. Other groups were adopting a more pastoralist lifestyle as well, such as the Enets, Sel'kup, and Jukagirs did. More to the South and West, Turkic or Mongol languages and identities (and to some extent, universal religions such as Buddhism and Islam) were also spreading over the older Uralic (Samoyedic or Ugric) and Yeneseian layer, also bringing pastoralism, some limited agriculture and generally Eurasian tech with it (including some more genetic resistance to southern diseases). The khanate of Sibir itself suggests incipient "state" formation, although this is likely more about hegemonies than "real" organized states.
IOTL, this was really embryonic and the Russians had very little trouble to take over in general. Low population densities, superior Russian state organization, technological disparity and diseases did the job relatively easily. Also, most of these developments affected south and central Siberia, much less the Arctic (were pastoralism was still developing anyway).
Here, Siberia is a much more populated and dynamic place. Evenks, Evens, Jakuts meet the Thule expanding just when they had expanded. They meet other peoples displaced by the Thule, such as the Jukagirs. They face a lot of pressure, earlier than IOTL, from a different direction. Could this speed up "state" formation? The Yakuts are the most likely candidate in East Siberia: would they form a "khaganate" of sorts, taking the Evenks and the refugees from farther North and East under their hegemony? It would be still less organized tha Sibir and probably no match for the Russians, but might slow them down a bit.
Also, the Northern routes are more interesting ITTL. The Russians abandoned them form the most part IOTL because there wasn't much for them in places like Tajmyr. Mangazeya was abandoned. Here, the North is worth trading with if not conquering. Mangazeya and Tukhuransk are closer to the (Sea) Thule than Tobolsk or Omsk. (They are also inhabited by Pomors, not Cossacks). This could attract more Russian in Siberia overall, bring relatively early contact with the Thule (in the low Ob/Yenisey/Lena basins) but also distract them from the more southerly push.
They'd reach the Pacific eventually, but I see a VERY different Siberia here.

Not all of it is more militarized and populated. The Bering and Kamchatka peninsulas may be out of reach. The Aleutians may be out of reach. The Siberian Arctic may be tough. On the other hand, a lot of the central and southern portions of Siberia will continue to be inhabited by indigenous peoples persisting in hunter/gatherer or herding lifestyles with low population densities. Even with contact with the Thule, they're unlikely to take up significant agricultural practices. So, the Cossacks will encounter mostly the same circumstances in a large part of Siberia - notably the parts of Siberia they want for the fur trade, and that's what's going to drive early exploration and colonization.

On the other hand, natives will be displaced south by Siberian Thule and Thulenized groups leading to a constant southwards displacement of peoples. (Though I'm not sure how much of a distinction there will be between "Thule" and "Thulenized groups"- I'm expecting the Siberian Thule will pick up an awful lot of Siberian technology and genes and the Siberian tribes will get plenty of Thule tech and genes - in time the distinction may only be cultural, where "Thule" refers to an agricultural group and "Evenk", "Koryak" etc come to become the local hunters, fishers and herders similar to the way Gypsy culture in Europe converged with local European nomadic populations.)

Further, I'm not so sure the Thule will hug the North like you seem to assume. The warmer regions to the South have plentiful permafrost (important for Thule food storage technology) as well as better grazing, more game, a warmer climate for farming and trees. Unlike the Canadian arctic, where I'd imagine the Thule send logging and slaving expeditions South, but don't stay until they've degraded an area of boreal forest into tundra, I think the Siberian Thule will find the taiga regions of Siberia more to their liking, and only go North in desperation when population densities in the taiga region go too high or they encounter a militarily superior tribe.

I may, of course, be underestimating the tribes who lived in the taiga forests North of the Mongols and Turkic tribes.

If the Thule do come through the taiga corridor, running into the Russians may be what forces them to go North in a big way.

I wonder what Thule interactions with the Yakut tribes will be like?

fasquardon

I'm always for an Independent Novgorod (even if it starts off as a Swedish satellite). I think it would change the dynamics in the region - regaining it would become a part of Russian foreign policy, decreasing the pressure on the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Concerning that, as long as Sigismund Vasa will be elected King of Poland, try to reign as a Catholic in Sweden and then get deposed, you'll still have the Commonwealth and Sweden set up for coflict, but perhaps a Russia more concentrating on Novgorod / Sweden as main enemy plus butterflies can avoid a catastrophe like the deluge.

Here's a thought: how might the Great Northern War go if the Swedes have Thule auxiliaries? Perhaps Sweden retains the Baltic, and creates Novgorod as a client state.

Here's a thought: how might the Great Northern War go if the Swedes have Thule auxiliaries? Perhaps Sweden retains the Baltic, and creates Novgorod as a client state.

I'm thinking the time for the establishment of Novgorod as a client state may be around 1618, although it's tough to see it surviving the Russians over the next few decades. Not sure at all. It may or may not happen. If it does happen, it might last five years, or twenty, or forty, or all the way through the 1600's. The Russian's are going to be gunning for it. I'm also thinking that we may see an interesting evolution going on in Arkangel and Mangazeya.

The Great Northern War comes in 1700-1721, here are some of the variables from OTL.

* The Swedish Empire incorporating Finland and Sweden, will have approximately two and a half times the population it did in OTL.
* In particular, the 1696 Famine which killed 1/10th of Swedes and 1/3 of Finns will essentially not have happened, leaving the Finnish demographic substantially stronger and rather less alienated from the Swedes - this is a substantial demographic shift in what may well be a geographically critical region.
* The absence or reduction of the devastating famine in 1696 probably means that a great deal of infrastructural, social, political and economic disruption and displacement didn't happen, and Sweden is likely more fundamentally stable and better prepared.
* Unlike Wheat, Barley and Rye, most Thule root crops are much less vulnerable to havoc by invading armies, field burning, etc.
* One of the combatants was Denmark-Norway. It's now just Denmark, and possibly slightly weaker for that reason. On the other hand, it's not going to be splitting its resources between multiple theatres as much.
* Norway is now an independent state, nominally allied to Sweden, so no Norwegian theatre of war for Sweden. That's one front they're not worrying about.
* Norway as an independent state is focusing on the Barents sea and White Sea, and we can expect de facto cooperation and support with Sweden in that area.
* And yes, there are a lot more Thule around, even outside the OTL historical borders of Sweden/Finland and Norway.

So, the War is likely to turn out differently than in OTL, with new fronts, old fronts behaving very differently, consequent shifts of alliances and priorities, and all that krispy chocolaty goodness.

Given that the Great Northern War was in part opportunistic, striking at Sweden when it seems weak, it may not occur at all. Or in the same way or on the same terms as OTL. Assuming it happens somewhere and sometime along OTL lines, then my preliminary guesswork is that the White Sea, Trans-Scandinavian Northern Coasts will be a unique new Theatre of War. Poland-Livonia is going to get royally boned. The Norwegians and the British are going to be fighting it out in the North Atlantic.

I'll be honest though, I'm still thinking out loud over all of this. None of the history is exactly settled. I've worked out the demographic impacts of Thule and Thule Domesticates in the region, and I'm satisfied that I have a rough map of that aspect, subject to some tweaking here and there. But I'll happily welcome the input of anyone who has a good intuitive feel or deeper knowledge for what was going on in the region from say the 1540's through the 1700's.

Last edited:
I'm always for an Independent Novgorod (even if it starts off as a Swedish satellite).

I don't think hiving off an Independent Novgorod weakens Russia substantially enough for the Swedes purposes. Russia's core strength lays elsewhere. In that sense, Novgorod and the Pskov Republic were basically waiting to be plucked from the vine. The question is, how much advantage would there be to an Independent Novgorod as a client, to make them want to take the risks, and put the effort in? Not sure.

On the other hand, OTL, the Swedes back in the time of troubles were fantasizing about pressing as far as Arkangel, and cutting Russia off from the White Sea. They gave up on that and gave Novgorod back ultimately. In this timeline, they might do the same.

I think it would change the dynamics in the region - regaining it would become a part of Russian foreign policy, decreasing the pressure on the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Concerning that, as long as Sigismund Vasa will be elected King of Poland, try to reign as a Catholic in Sweden and then get deposed, you'll still have the Commonwealth and Sweden set up for coflict, but perhaps a Russia more concentrating on Novgorod / Sweden as main enemy plus butterflies can avoid a catastrophe like the deluge.

Yeah, in most of my tentative hypotheticals, the Commonwealth is massively boned. The trouble is that it gets it from both Russia and Sweden. A weaker Russia should give the Commonwealth some breathing room. But the corollary is a definitely stronger Sweden, so its boned all over, possibly worse. The Swedes don't seem posed to take full advantage of the Commonwealth's weakness, so the Russians tend to default as the primary beneficiaries.

On the other hand, natives will be displaced south by Siberian Thule and Thulenized groups leading to a constant southwards displacement of peoples. (Though I'm not sure how much of a distinction there will be between "Thule" and "Thulenized groups"- I'm expecting the Siberian Thule will pick up an awful lot of Siberian technology and genes and the Siberian tribes will get plenty of Thule tech and genes - in time the distinction may only be cultural, where "Thule" refers to an agricultural group and "Evenk", "Koryak" etc come to become the local hunters, fishers and herders similar to the way Gypsy culture in Europe converged with local European nomadic populations.)

How much local indigenous technology is there for the Thule to acquire? There's Evenk reindeer saddles, yep. There's ponies. There's a better biological floral suite. What else? I'm not challenging, I'm inviting some brainstorming.

As to the Thule, Musk Ox aren't especially portable - they tend not to do well in wetter climates. The Thule domesticates, including Ptarmigan are productive, but the Thule agricultural complex is a tricky one to adopt. The Scandinavians had a variety of special circumstances, and they adopted it, but a lot of their implementation was hit and miss.

The Thule are highly mobile, with elaborate trade networks. So that may plug in, in various ways.

Further, I'm not so sure the Thule will hug the North like you seem to assume. The warmer regions to the South have plentiful permafrost (important for Thule food storage technology) as well as better grazing, more game, a warmer climate for farming and trees. Unlike the Canadian arctic, where I'd imagine the Thule send logging and slaving expeditions South, but don't stay until they've degraded an area of boreal forest into tundra, I think the Siberian Thule will find the taiga regions of Siberia more to their liking, and only go North in desperation when population densities in the taiga region go too high or they encounter a militarily superior tribe.

They'll definitely be pushing into the subarctic. I guess the question is how far.

I may, of course, be underestimating the tribes who lived in the taiga forests North of the Mongols and Turkic tribes.

I wonder what Thule interactions with the Yakut tribes will be like?

I invite you to speculate.

The Sandman

Banned
I do think that in this geopolitical situation, the Danes are going to be even more involved in northern Germany than they were IOTL.

There'll also be some distant effects in the colonies in North America, particularly French Canada, due to Thule pushing south and the likely acceleration of proto-state formation in response by Cree and other tribes not wanting to be conquered.

The problem Russia is likely to run into in Siberia is that their western neighbors have a vested interest in making Russian expansion difficult, and can do that by selling guns to the locals; the potential for blowback is low, since the Swedes and Norwegians aren't planning on going a-conquering in the depths of Siberia, and aren't particularly at risk if Sea or Siberian Thule intermediaries keep a few guns for themselves since the real European advantage over those groups is in their ships.

Also, it's going to be very ugly to be caught in between the Russians coming one way and the Siberian Thule coming the other. I'm not sure what the response of the native Siberian peoples will be to that, and in fact I'm not sure if there are any situations quite comparable IOTL.

Poland/Lithuania I just don't know enough about the collapse of to speculate on where the pieces will go ITTL. If the Swedes do establish some sort of puppet in Novgorod, though, it might behoove them to hand off some of the less valuable Lithuanian territories to said puppet; on the other hand, the Swedes may decide to try and keep the whole thing for themselves. In Poland that's unlikely to work; too many people living there, too many neighbors willing to set aside their differences and pile on to prevent Sweden from assimilating Poland and becoming the preeminent power in Northern and Central Europe. Novgorod, Ingria, eastern Karelia though? Sweden might be able to keep those long-term.

Oddly enough, we might also see more ties between the Swedes and the Ottoman Empire, as they both have the same vested interest in keeping Russia down and Sweden is more able to project power here.

Long-term, the Swedes are going to have a major fight with the Danes over control of the Øresund, because dominance of the Baltic coastline isn't as meaningful if you're still having to pay another country a fee every time you ship stuff into or out of the Baltic Sea. Or they'll dig a canal. Maybe both.

Long-term, the Swedes are going to have a major fight with the Danes over control of the Øresund, because dominance of the Baltic coastline isn't as meaningful if you're still having to pay another country a fee every time you ship stuff into or out of the Baltic Sea. Or they'll dig a canal. Maybe both.

Um, what? Canal? Germany can try to bypass Danish strait control with a canal to the south of Jutland as OTL with Kiel. But you said you expect the Danes to try and take more of Germany, not less! So can the Swedes seize Holstein right under Denmark's nose?

From the geography a canal across OTL Swedish territory in Scandinavia is pointless. Its western outlet would be right into the Oresund!

Even absorbing southern Norway would do little good, and that per the author is Danish. "Norway" is a northerly part of the northwest coast, territory extremely marginal and only 10 percent of OTL Norway's population. But with Thule cultivars, they do much better, Trondheim is a bigger more powerful city in a richer region, the scattered fjord settlements to the north sport more population, they are a bunch of sailors presumably picking up Arctic seas survival tricks from their Thule component, and they aren't about to be conquered by either the Danes or the Swedes. South Norway, the center of population of Norway as we know it, may be partially or wholly under the Danish crown, or if not they are under Norwegian rule, either way they are not Swedish.

You aren't proposing a canal over the Jotunheims are you? I should think not. Do you mean taking a little bit of southeast Norway, enough so the west side is past Jutland, and running a canal there?

I think it would be far easier and more realistic to conquer north Jutland; even then one has to essentially fight the core of Denmark, the islands to the east of Jutland, to secure the sea route past their opposition. I suspect battering the Danes into attractive terms for passing their islands would be tantamount to conquering Denmark. A Swedish-Norwegian (Trondheim centered Norway, remember) alliance might work; the Norwegians get South Norway back, if they don't have it already, and the Swedes gobble up Denmark.

The Danes get the least boost of anyone in Scandinavia from the ATL Thule influence; there is little to no reason for them to adopt the crops on their own soil. Only if Denmark had had the political acumen to keep a grip on Norway would its power and reach be multiplied, and only to the extent they had the foresight to develop Norway, and overseas colonies, and the wit and wisdom to keep control of all these. Since the author decided long ago Norway would at least partially break free, and any Norwegian holdings the Danes kept are those that would not benefit directly from Thule packages, the Danes are about as OTL, but up against a stronger Norway and Sweden. You may be right they are motivated to turn their attention south and muck around in Germany, but are they for any reason more likely to be more successful doing so?

The Danes do benefit indirectly by controlling the Oresund of course. The king took those tolls as personal revenue directly, therefore Denmark OTL tended to develop as an absolutist monarchy. Richer more powerful Sweden makes for more trade goods flowing and more tolls--but this depends on royal whims in Copenhagen. If the kings try to clamp down and suck all the revenue they can, they get more powerful--maybe can hire some foreign mercenaries, or might invest in some transatlantic or Asian project that pays off. But the harder they squeeze, the more annoyed the Swedes get, and the Norwegians don't really need an excuse to be hostile. A very astute and judicious Danish dynasty might possibly feel their way to wealth maximization without pissing off the Swedes too much, and leverage their surplus wealth relative to OTL by some kind of investment or other--internal improvements in Denmark, maybe, buying useful territorial holdings in Germany where mere arms would not do, overseas colonies, whatever.

But how much do you want to bet on a string of monarchs all being clever and wise? And the nature of their revenue source is such that they need not be advised by anyone not their creatures; it all hinges on their own personal brains. And whims. And ability to hold their treasure strait despite the keen interest of a state relatively stronger than OTL wanting to be free of the incubus. I don't see why the Swedes would stop short of conquering Denmark and holding the straits themselves; only some foreign alliance the Danes make seems likely to forestall that. Who is keenly interested in common interests with the King of Denmark, and in a position to help them? Maybe the English in this ATL?
-------------------
I've mentioned it before, but would the Thule packages have a transformative effect on Scotland, particularly on the Highlands?

A good reason not to go there yet is a need for a vector to bring in Thule culture. Norway had a strong vector and so did Finland and Sweden and the Pomor Russians. I would imagine mixed in with other actors you (the author now, DValdron) have mentioned such as the English, French, Spanish and Portuguese not mention Scandinavians, that some Scots have been involved here and there. But that's nothing like the systematic ties to Scandinavia you've sketched out. So even if it is true that the Thule crops would turn north Scotland into a much more populous zone eventually, it may not have had the opportunity.

Perhaps over the next century? I believe English history has been butterflied, but perhaps the deep forces at work that led to Scottish/English Union OTL are still in play. If Scotland undergoes the general crises it did OTL in the later 17th and 18th centuries, perhaps somewhere in there a portion of the Highlanders would start gradually adopting some Thule staples, and grow in numbers, and when it comes down to the Hanoverian campaign against the Jacobins, suddenly the UK finds itself in something of a bear trap. Combined English and Lowlander elite interests might still steamroller the Highlanders, but perhaps they can negotiate better terms? Or cause enough grief and bloodshed that a north kingdom or clan federation or something hives off the UK?

You'll note I brought this up in the context of leaving the Kings of Denmark looking for allies.

There is also the whole confessional thing; IIRC you gave it a good stir versus OTL and I wonder how far that reverberates. Were the secessionist Trondheimer Norwegians Lutherans already, or as I think I recall, had the Reformation not reached them and was part of their national identity remaining Roman Catholic? That would complicate relations with both Denmark and Sweden I'd think, and also England, unless the Reformation got short-circuited there too. I tend to think the English were going to go Protestant sooner or later, since throughout the Middle Ages they'd always had quarrels with Roman authority. But then again Anglicanism OTL was a pretty mild dissent from Roman doctrine (which did not prevent the English from fearing, loathing and despising Popery of course). Will the confessional divide work out much as OTL, with political alliance of southern European princes and the Roman Catholic Church making a solid bloc to the south and varieties of Protestantism taking the northern lands for the most part? Is Norway already and still an anomalous exception and will the Scots Highlands join them in adhering to Rome? Will Poland switch to Protestantism, or remain Catholic? They are up against a stronger Sweden and OTL I believe there was a forgotten surge toward some kind of Protestantism that the Swedes (if they are Lutheran) might reinforce, which might change the dynamics of the southern Baltic completely. What if a Polish Vasa dynasty is Protestant ruling a deeply converted populace--or alternatively strongly aided by Sweden but ruling a population that does not want to convert? Maybe a sort of English situation where on paper the kingdom or whatever it is called is Protestant but has a tacit truce with Catholics? Might the whole thing turn into a political checkerboard?

The Sandman also alluded to ATL developments in New France, assuming NF has not been butterflied away anyway. Indeed the first order effect is to throw Cree and others sandwiched between NF and Thule into a press that might forge them into more advanced nation-states, and the non-Thule layer also tends to block any possible enrichment of the north side by adoption of Thule crops. But in the longer run--might not the French eventually reach past their presumptive new Indian clients to make diplomatic relations with some ambitious Thule photo-state up in the far north? I want to remind everyone of the notion I had that a Thule-French alliance might take the form of the French hiring Thule as shock troop mercenaries, arming them with state of the art guns and employing them for attacks on New England in the mid-winter. Thule might not be much more of an asset than any other Indians in mid-summer, but in deep New England winter they might be a real terror, moving over the snowbound land with ease and comfort. Under French direction could they tip the balance in the late 17th-early 18th century and perhaps drive the English right out? Or via negotiated settlements tightly confine them and guarantee New French supremacy north and west so that the French cannot be dislodged later in the 18th century?

The English too (or UK) might be able to counter this by relations with other Thule, putting pressure on the homeland of the French shock troops or conquering them. But the upshot of such maneuvers I think would tend to empower the north continental Thule generally. Neither French nor Britons are in much of a position to move in and dominate, and with both powers intriguing to recruit clients there savvy local Thule leaders can play them off against each other, establish plum trade relations that keep them supplied in advanced arms, and generally strengthen themselves. Meanwhile they are being hit with Eurasian plagues but the longer that goes on the more immune they get, so when an era of really aggressive European expansionism opens, despite their proximity they are tough nuts to break, chew and digest. Arctic Fastness/Ice Arabs theory again!

Of course we've also considered the dark side--Europeans might get savvy that Thule cultivation in the far north depends on carefully maintained earthworks that are vulnerable to being wrecked by deliberate acts of sabotage, and scorched earth campaigns can wreck genocide on them. But if their states and network of alliances with European powers are strong enough they might be able to stop the invaders from getting all their croplands and take a bitter revenge that holds them in check.

The more such interactions go on, the more developed technologically and politically the Thule become. I should bear in mind the analogy of West Africa--another zone where Europeans have had long interaction with native peoples who enjoyed local advantages, such as resistance to endemic tropical diseases fatal to Europeans, but still managed to putter along without being pulled into the European technosphere, or forming strong local states that could hold eventual colonialist conquerors at bay.

But I think the Arctic is qualitatively different, more like the deserts of Arabia and Sahara. Sure the French claimed control of most of North Africa, but how much control did they really have out in the desert? By the time their technology formed an overwhelming advantage and they had the infrastructure, they were facing sophisticated insurgencies in the densely settled strongholds of Algeria that eventually drove them out. No foreigner ever got to the point they claimed even nominal control of the heart of Arabia--the desirable coast lands, yes, but not the heart of the peninsula, and European direct rule over even parts of Arabia did not last long.

So I wonder if the eventual outcome of French/British rivalry in the northeast of America will lead to strong local Thule powers that either never bow to European rule at all, or when nominally held are restive and weakly ruled, and whether there are always going to be, in the deeper parts of North America, sovereign if impoverished Thule lordships.

You know I went nuts years ago for the idea of some Thule land pulling a Meiji and developing high tech refrigerated Prycrete ice ships cooled with chilled nitrogen as cold as liquid nitrogen, that can venture far south on steam power and are damn near unsinkable, armed with guns as good as any mainstream European power's, and ruling the Arctic. I don't suppose the TL will get anywhere near the 19th century any time soon, but I do look forward to that.

I do think that in this geopolitical situation, the Danes are going to be even more involved in northern Germany than they were IOTL.

That's logical. A more difficult and stronger Sweden will probably push the Danes south.

The problem Russia is likely to run into in Siberia is that their western neighbors have a vested interest in making Russian expansion difficult, and can do that by selling guns to the locals; the potential for blowback is low, since the Swedes and Norwegians aren't planning on going a-conquering in the depths of Siberia, and aren't particularly at risk if Sea or Siberian Thule intermediaries keep a few guns for themselves since the real European advantage over those groups is in their ships.

Yep. Guns are going to be in demand, eventually.

Also, it's going to be very ugly to be caught in between the Russians coming one way and the Siberian Thule coming the other. I'm not sure what the response of the native Siberian peoples will be to that, and in fact I'm not sure if there are any situations quite comparable IOTL.

I think that there have been. They never ended happily in the long run.

Poland/Lithuania I just don't know enough about the collapse of to speculate on where the pieces will go ITTL. If the Swedes do establish some sort of puppet in Novgorod, though, it might behoove them to hand off some of the less valuable Lithuanian territories to said puppet; on the other hand, the Swedes may decide to try and keep the whole thing for themselves. In Poland that's unlikely to work; too many people living there, too many neighbors willing to set aside their differences and pile on to prevent Sweden from assimilating Poland and becoming the preeminent power in Northern and Central Europe. Novgorod, Ingria, eastern Karelia though? Sweden might be able to keep those long-term.

I could see the Swedes ultimately getting embroiled in a mess. Good thinking

Oddly enough, we might also see more ties between the Swedes and the Ottoman Empire, as they both have the same vested interest in keeping Russia down and Sweden is more able to project power here.

Intriguing.

They had long term major fights with the Danes OTL. You're correct it will happen here.

Interesting comment about Danish/English alliance. I believe that there were pieces of that from time to time. That definitely seems to be like a direction.

Um, what? Canal?

Canal is out, definitely.

Even absorbing southern Norway would do little good, and that per the author is Danish. "Norway" is a northerly part of the northwest coast, territory extremely marginal and only 10 percent of OTL Norway's population.

Substantially more than that. Denmark is still holding onto some southernmost provinces, but will lose them in the next go round.

But with Thule cultivars, they do much better, Trondheim is a bigger more powerful city in a richer region, the scattered fjord settlements to the north sport more population, they are a bunch of sailors presumably picking up Arctic seas survival tricks from their Thule component, and they aren't about to be conquered by either the Danes or the Swedes. South Norway, the center of population of Norway as we know it, may be partially or wholly under the Danish crown, or if not they are under Norwegian rule, either way they are not Swedish.

Correct. Not Swedish. Mostly under Norwegian Rule. But the Swedes have figured that supporting an independence movement and creating an allied/client state works better than trying to conquer the place.

I think it would be far easier and more realistic to conquer north Jutland; even then one has to essentially fight the core of Denmark, the islands to the east of Jutland, to secure the sea route past their opposition. I suspect battering the Danes into attractive terms for passing their islands would be tantamount to conquering Denmark.

From time to time, I believe in 1613, they did exact such terms. It always helped to lead to the next war.

Actually, there's a collateral effect. The Danish barrier and trade tariff, may actually encourage internal trade and commerce around the Baltic. It does grind heavily on the Swedes though. They have a vested interest in Iron exports.

A Swedish-Norwegian (Trondheim centered Norway, remember) alliance might work; the Norwegians get South Norway back, if they don't have it already, and the Swedes gobble up Denmark.

Denmark is still too densely populated, too autonomous and its elites are too adverse to be effectively conquered... for the foreseeable future.

The Danes get the least boost of anyone in Scandinavia from the ATL Thule influence; there is little to no reason for them to adopt the crops on their own soil.

Thule Crops are too slow growing and require too much space to be genuinely competitive with southern agriculture, in the areas where southern agriculture are in their prime. They're competitive where southern agriculture is getting into marginal territory, or where it doesn't work at all. So the Danes don't really get that much benefit from the Thule. They could, potentially - no so much climactically, as the Danes having a lot of marginal poor land where Thule crops would grow. But the Potato will be coming along.

Only if Denmark had had the political acumen to keep a grip on Norway would its power and reach be multiplied, and only to the extent they had the foresight to develop Norway, and overseas colonies, and the wit and wisdom to keep control of all these.

OTL Denmark treated Norway and Iceland as typical colonies, with restricted economic rights, heavy Copenhagen based mercantilism and extractive policies. Made the Norwegians very willing to break away.

You may be right they are motivated to turn their attention south and muck around in Germany, but are they for any reason more likely to be more successful doing so?

I don't especially think so. We'll have to see how it works out.

I've mentioned it before, but would the Thule packages have a transformative effect on Scotland, particularly on the Highlands?

Thinking about it.

A good reason not to go there yet is a need for a vector to bring in Thule culture. Norway had a strong vector and so did Finland and Sweden and the Pomor Russians. I would imagine mixed in with other actors you (the author now, DValdron) have mentioned such as the English, French, Spanish and Portuguese not mention Scandinavians, that some Scots have been involved here and there. But that's nothing like the systematic ties to Scandinavia you've sketched out. So even if it is true that the Thule crops would turn north Scotland into a much more populous zone eventually, it may not have had the opportunity.

Perhaps over the next century? I believe English history has been butterflied, but perhaps the deep forces at work that led to Scottish/English Union OTL are still in play. If Scotland undergoes the general crises it did OTL in the later 17th and 18th centuries, perhaps somewhere in there a portion of the Highlanders would start gradually adopting some Thule staples, and grow in numbers, and when it comes down to the Hanoverian campaign against the Jacobins, suddenly the UK finds itself in something of a bear trap. Combined English and Lowlander elite interests might still steamroller the Highlanders, but perhaps they can negotiate better terms? Or cause enough grief and bloodshed that a north kingdom or clan federation or something hives off the UK?

I havent' really been focusing much on England. Right now, the project is to sort out the major fallouts in Europe.

Of course we've also considered the dark side--Europeans might get savvy that Thule cultivation in the far north depends on carefully maintained earthworks that are vulnerable to being wrecked by deliberate acts of sabotage, and scorched earth campaigns can wreck genocide on them. But if their states and network of alliances with European powers are strong enough they might be able to stop the invaders from getting all their croplands and take a bitter revenge that holds them in check.

It's an issue. But it's hard to render real damage to inert earthworks. No bulldozers.

I'm always for an Independent Novgorod (even if it starts off as a Swedish satellite). I think it would change the dynamics in the region - regaining it would become a part of Russian foreign policy, decreasing the pressure on the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Concerning that, as long as Sigismund Vasa will be elected King of Poland, try to reign as a Catholic in Sweden and then get deposed, you'll still have the Commonwealth and Sweden set up for coflict, but perhaps a Russia more concentrating on Novgorod / Sweden as main enemy plus butterflies can avoid a catastrophe like the deluge.

It is worth remembering that even in OTL, access to the White Sea was a serious prize for Russia and in TTL, with a more dynamic White Sea region, retaking Novgorod will be even more important (though really the key area to take is Arkangelsk).

I wonder if Moscow might retake Novgorod in tandem with a Thule serf rebellion? That could make for a very interesting dynamic... For the Thule of the European North to be a free peasantry who were seriously pro-Moscow because of Russia liberating them from Novgorodian bondage, while Russia was also engaged in vicious fights against the wild Siberian Thule in the East.

* Norway is now an independent state, nominally allied to Sweden, so no Norwegian theatre of war for Sweden. That's one front they're not worrying about.

I'm not sure Norway and Sweden would be allied that long. For one, Sweden will covet Norway's ports (access to the North Sea and White sea). For another, Norway will covet the land Sweden stole from them in centuries prior.

Also, Sweden being stronger is going to bring the mother of all dogpiles down on it.

The Netherlands and England depended on the Baltic for naval stores - pitch from Estonia and Livonia and hemp from Russia. Sweden controlling Estonia, Livonia as well as both entrepots for Russian hemp (Arkangelsk in Swedish-aligned Novgorod and the Baltic ports) on top of minor supplies of naval stores from Sweden/Finland itself, on top of Swedish iron, on top of a serious attempt at controlling the Øresund, on top of Sweden attacking Poland itself (from which England and the Netherlands import grain)... Well... I think it is very likely that the Swedes will, provoke enough fear of both England and the Netherlands that they will then orchestrate a dogpile that will make the Polish Deluge look like a tea party.

In OTL, Sweden was generally the ally of the two major customers of Baltic produce, but once it is they, not Denmark, who threaten the power of England and the Netherlands in the Baltic, they'll be in for it.

How much local indigenous technology is there for the Thule to acquire? There's Evenk reindeer saddles, yep. There's ponies. There's a better biological floral suite. What else? I'm not challenging, I'm inviting some brainstorming.

Siberian groups, particularly the ones in the South, will have better social technology than the Thule.

One of the things I am imagining is the Siberian Thule ending up with Mogol or Yakut nobles or kings. The hardware would mostly be Thule, but the tactics and the weapons technology would be Steppe nomad. Could make for a nasty combination. Maybe even a single Siberian Thule state across Siberia ruled by a Genghis Khan type figure.

Or possibly the Yakut get steamrollered by the Thule and end up becoming a military caste within the Thule realm (but not a noble military caste, kind of like how the Turkic tribes were in Persia).

Yeah, in most of my tentative hypotheticals, the Commonwealth is massively boned. The trouble is that it gets it from both Russia and Sweden. A weaker Russia should give the Commonwealth some breathing room. But the corollary is a definitely stronger Sweden, so its boned all over, possibly worse. The Swedes don't seem posed to take full advantage of the Commonwealth's weakness, so the Russians tend to default as the primary beneficiaries.

On the other hand, the Russians and the Swedes will be more hostile to each-other. I could see the three taking turns to ally in a pair to beat up the third and everyone alternating partners each war (or even alternating during a war).

Also, the Poles only became enemies of the Swedes due to the Vasa dynasty gaining the throne of Poland and a palace coup in Sweden meaning Sweden changed to a different branch of the family. If Poland has different kings (very easy to do with a PoD 1000 years before), they will have no real motivation to pick a fight with Sweden.

As to the Thule, Musk Ox aren't especially portable - they tend not to do well in wetter climates. The Thule domesticates, including Ptarmigan are productive, but the Thule agricultural complex is a tricky one to adopt. The Scandinavians had a variety of special circumstances, and they adopted it, but a lot of their implementation was hit and miss.

I would have thought microclimate engineering to create pasture for reindeer herds would have some appeal.

The Swedes never wanted Poland - it was large and Catholic. The Swedes in OTL were aiming to break off Lithuania as an independent realm and take Livonia from the Poles.

fasquardon

It is worth remembering that even in OTL, access to the White Sea was a serious prize for Russia and in TTL, with a more dynamic White Sea region, retaking Novgorod will be even more important (though really the key area to take is Arkangelsk).

I wonder if Moscow might retake Novgorod in tandem with a Thule serf rebellion? That could make for a very interesting dynamic... For the Thule of the European North to be a free peasantry who were seriously pro-Moscow because of Russia liberating them from Novgorodian bondage, while Russia was also engaged in vicious fights against the wild Siberian Thule in the East.

The White Sea area is about the same latitudes as the central and upper Baltic, and there are large freshwater lakes and rivers that drain into it. Nearly as I can tell, European agriculture will function relatively well in the area, not a lot of Rye or Barley, but enough of the package works. It's the area where the Pomors will clearly be the dominant population. It's really the center of Pomor culture and population - the big cities/towns Khalgourney and Arkangel are there.

In contrast, in 1500, there are less than 2000 Pomors in the entire Kola Peninsula. Possibly less than 2000 people absolutely, including Pomors and Sami. So it's easy for the Thule to predominate there. Very hard for them to infiltrate or become a significant population around the White. Frankly, they won't feel welcome, and despite other positives, they'll tend to gravitate to the peninsulas.

And the Russians had a pretty brutal policy towards serfs, so I don't think they'd be credible fighting for free peasantry. Indeed, the Russians tended to attempt to extend Serfdom up to the Kola and White Sea area, severely restricting the rights and freedoms of the Pomors OTL.

You are correct, that driving to take/keep the White Sea is going to be a major foreign policy/military goal of the Russians. It's literally their only sea access. There's also the Baltic and the Crimea, but both of those lead to Bottleneck seas, and are held by much tougher customers. The White Sea is by far the most appealing target - in OTL, relatively thinly populated, remote from competitors, and offering seasonal open access. There's a reason that the Swedes would have loved to deny it to the Russians, but in OTL were unable to do more than fantasize.

Assuming that the Swedes set up Novgorod as a client state with jurisdiction over the White Sea, as in Novgorod V.1.0's time, taking it back is going to be a major priority. That whole area is going to be a lively battleground.

I'm not sure Norway and Sweden would be allied that long. For one, Sweden will covet Norway's ports (access to the North Sea and White sea). For another, Norway will covet the land Sweden stole from them in centuries prior.

Definitely reasons for conflict. But Norway is nowhere near strong enough to take back stolen provinces, so their main priority is going to be to try and make sure that their neighbor doesn't bite off any more chunks of them. In OTL history, there was a period when Sweden owned or occupied Norway, after the Danes were out. Norwegian policy is going to be oriented towards trying to ensure good relations with their neighbor. Part of that will be a foreign policy which focuses on different spheres. The Norwegians will focus on the Atlantic, and they hope the Swedes will focus on the Baltic. Another part is avoiding any messy entanglements. The reality for the Norwegians is that in any dogpile on Sweden, they'll be a likely loser - they're too close, too small and too vulnerable For Sweden's part, they have enough enemies and challengers - if the Norwegians want to stay friendly, and do their own thing... that's likely to be an enduring relationship.

Also, Sweden being stronger is going to bring the mother of all dogpiles down on it.

You mean even more than OTL?

The Netherlands and England depended on the Baltic for naval stores - pitch from Estonia and Livonia and hemp from Russia. Sweden controlling Estonia, Livonia as well as both entrepots for Russian hemp (Arkangelsk in Swedish-aligned Novgorod and the Baltic ports) on top of minor supplies of naval stores from Sweden/Finland itself, on top of Swedish iron, on top of a serious attempt at controlling the Øresund, on top of Sweden attacking Poland itself (from which England and the Netherlands import grain)... Well... I think it is very likely that the Swedes will, provoke enough fear of both England and the Netherlands that they will then orchestrate a dogpile that will make the Polish Deluge look like a tea party.

I think that in one of the 1600's wars, the English were siding with the allies against Sweden. I agree that the European powers, France, England and Netherlands will tend to throw down on Russia's side. The White Sea access to Russia was a major prize, and the English and Dutch in particular were very interested in that trade. They were also interested in the Northeast Route.

In OTL, Sweden was generally the ally of the two major customers of Baltic produce, but once it is they, not Denmark, who threaten the power of England and the Netherlands in the Baltic, they'll be in for it.

Definitely, more lively.

Siberian groups, particularly the ones in the South, will have better social technology than the Thule.

One of the things I am imagining is the Siberian Thule ending up with Mogol or Yakut nobles or kings. The hardware would mostly be Thule, but the tactics and the weapons technology would be Steppe nomad. Could make for a nasty combination. Maybe even a single Siberian Thule state across Siberia ruled by a Genghis Khan type figure.

I don't know that they'll reach as far south as the Mongols. They almost certainly won't. I don't think that the Yakut or Evenk had the level of social technology. But I'll take a look. A Siberian Thule state is a reasonable possibility. Conquering the whole of Siberia? Tough.

Or possibly the Yakut get steamrollered by the Thule and end up becoming a military caste within the Thule realm (but not a noble military caste, kind of like how the Turkic tribes were in Persia).

Got some good sources on the Yakut?

Also, the Poles only became enemies of the Swedes due to the Vasa dynasty gaining the throne of Poland and a palace coup in Sweden meaning Sweden changed to a different branch of the family. If Poland has different kings (very easy to do with a PoD 1000 years before), they will have no real motivation to pick a fight with Sweden.

I'll look into that. I see geography as their ultimate enemy though.

I would have thought microclimate engineering to create pasture for reindeer herds would have some appeal.

Yeah, but that often tended to be a by product.

The Swedes never wanted Poland - it was large and Catholic. The Swedes in OTL were aiming to break off Lithuania as an independent realm and take Livonia from the Poles.

fasquardon

Good points.

Hm, the only thing I'm seeing on the Yakuts is that the Boryats drove them up north and that they managed to retain some of their original steppe package on the way up.

They also seemed to be very adaptable.

I keep coming across them being the only Siberian group to have a large territorial and population expansion instead of declines other groups saw at the time (Before the Russians).

I did see references of them adapting some of them adapting wood-working and construction from some of the more older peoples present in the area.

I did see something on a website that showed how kids were trained up to be warriors and how inter-clan warfare was frequent.

Here's a link about how boys were trained from a Yakut Magazine.
Interesting stuff.

Go to page 24.

http://yatoday.sakha.gov.ru/magazine/yt13.pdf

or this link if you want it all in one page instead of pdf.

http://yatoday.ru/en/news/culture/1454-a-sakha-warrior

And this talks about interesting things they relied on.

http://www.geocurrents.info/place/r.../the-yakut-sakha-migration-to-central-siberia

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.