On the subject of the level of detail of this TL, for some of my very favorite TLs the author sometimes wanders off of the main focus of the TL into a bit of history that I know better than they do and the author makes some goofs that are obvious (to me at least), even when the overall TL is very strong that sort of thing always undermines my suspension of disbelief since if the author is making some errors in the areas that I personally know well who knows what errors they're making all of the areas they're covering that I don't know well.

That's has never ever EVER happened in this TL.

On the subject of the level of detail of this TL, for some of my very favorite TLs the author sometimes wanders off of the main focus of the TL into a bit of history that I know better than they do and the author makes some goofs that are obvious (to me at least), even when the overall TL is very strong that sort of thing always undermines my suspension of disbelief since if the author is making some errors in the areas that I personally know well who knows what errors they're making all of the areas they're covering that I don't know well.

Carp is very cautious about butterflying further than necessary and that is the result. This TL is so self contained, it could almost be a novel.

Current updates are waiting until I figure out what I want to do with the Wittelsbach Succession Crisis. I was able to push the last chapter out because it's not relevant to broader geopolitics, but everything else I want to do really ought to wait until I have an idea of where international politics are in the mid-late 1780s.

I appreciate the compliment, although I'm certain there's someone with sufficient knowledge to point out plausibility issues with my later "Europe" chapters (the WAS chapters are very nearly OTL and something I have a lot of material on, but the alt-SYW is probably more questionable). I've tried to avoid that in recent chapters mentioning the "American War" by giving as little detail as possible. That said, it makes sense in context - one wouldn't expect a history book on 18th century Corsica to go into great depth on the American Revolution aside from its direct effects on Corsica.

This TL is so self contained, it could almost be a novel.

Oh God no. Then I'd have to write dialogue.

BTW, what RPGs you play?

The current game I'm running is D&D 5e, which is not my favorite but that's what the current group does. In the past I've run 2e, 3e, PF1, FATE, and The Riddle of Steel (and techically a session of Maid RPG, but I probably shouldn't admit that). I'd like to try Mythras someday, and maybe PF2.

Well I don't know the SYW well enough to fact check you on that. It's just that I've read TLs that I dearly loved that hit Korea and don't seem to realize that basically the entire peninsula is covered in mountains or other really basic errors like that because when you bite off and try to chew the entire fucking world you're inevitably going to choke on something. This TL seems to work very hard to avoid that kind of choking, which makes it special for a TL of its word count.

Singapore express should contain the largest submarines in the allies fleet. The US V boats (especially the three huge Narwhal and assosciates) in particular. Not sure about the Brits. If American problems with torpedos are more rapidly forced to be dealt with then transferring more submarines who aren't good for torpedoing ships to be temporarily repurposed.

The surcouf could have taken more then a few men back. It was built with a 40 man brig and with the space and manpower that the weapons and ordnance opened up I feel you might be able to make a run to Singapore with a 100 more men. Besides non combatants, the injured, and those with tech or strategic value to valuable to be worth exposing to capture you could also bring fighting men out. I'm thinking choose experienced Phillipino enlisted men, NCO, officers and especially Phillipine scout elements. Not aiming to get most men out. But to bring the cadre that at least a brigade or two composed of a core of veteran Phillipinos and American veterans supplemented by recruits fleeing or smuggled out of the rest of the Philllipines and Phillipinos abroad. Be interesting if the first landing in a eventual reconquest fleet is done by men of the Elite 1st Phippine Scout Brigade.
wrong thread?