Is post-soviet Russia a blind spot for AH? And if it's so, why?

I've just read about the failed coup attempt 25 years ago . And I have the feeling that I hardly ever see anything here on Russia post that date, while the Soviet Union itself is a very common topic.

At least the 1993 constitutional crisis and the 1995 election are very possible PODs, as well as Yeltzin chosing somebody else then Putin to succeed him.

I can understand that for the 21st century you probably would have to get rid of Putin for any interesting POD, but in the 90s a lot of different ways for Russia where possible, but we hardly ever consider them here, don't we?

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire is the big one, and I suspect most people don't want to do something that is constantly compared to it.

On WI's themselves, a fair few users aren't from or know very little about Russia, meaning discussion quickly dies from a lack on interest, or because people post implausible answers without knowing so, killing the discussion.

Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire is the big one, and I suspect most people don't want to do something that is constantly compared to it.

On WI's themselves, a fair few users aren't from or know very little about Russia, meaning discussion quickly dies from a lack on interest, or because people post implausible answers without knowing so, killing the discussion.

Thanks, I will check out that TL.

I must confess, that my knowledge is pretty limited to. After Gorbi was gone it just wasn't the same.
Little knowledge doesn't stop discussions on how the SU could have survived thought.

I was just wondering...

Most people's knowledge of Russia/the USSR here seems to be focused on Stalin and Soviet military capabilities, rather than internal politics or society. Unsurprisingly these are pretty important for understanding Russia post 1991.

If you want a prolonged Soviet Union with a POD of 1989 (similar to the August Coup), feel free to check out my TL (see my sig.)

I've just read about the failed coup attempt 25 years ago . And I have the feeling that I hardly ever see anything here on Russia post that date, while the Soviet Union itself is a very common topic.

At least the 1993 constitutional crisis and the 1995 election are very possible PODs, as well as Yeltzin chosing somebody else then Putin to succeed him.

I can understand that for the 21st century you probably would have to get rid of Putin for any interesting POD, but in the 90s a lot of different ways for Russia where possible, but we hardly ever consider them here, don't we?

I think the issue is that in this period Russia was very unstable (especially 1991 to 1996) and so there are too many PoDs and butterflies flying around to get a clear idea of what the alternatives were.