Indonesia ATL: The Presidency of Try Sutrisno (1997-)

“The best we can hope for is that this relationship can survive people like Latham or Reith strutting around being anti-Indonesian, that their tourists continues to come to Bali, and that nothing happens that brings out the worst in this relationship”, Marzuki said.

“Yes, let’s hope nothing happens”, replied the President; somehow getting the feeling that something eventually will.
The mention of Bali really scares me. I mean just because the government is more stable and Pancasila education is still going strong, that doesn't mean that particular problem isn't going to disappear into nothing.

The President was happy with this though he remained concerned about Indonesia being an oil importer and the importance of securing sources of oil until new oil fields are up and running.
Mr President, you have a phone call from Mr. Hussein.

I dont know how are the relationships between Australia and Indonesia, but they are unusually hostile...

This is its own topic but because it's not in politics anymore, there are a lot of officers that are left without assignments because they can no longer be appointed to "civilian" positions so the military has created new commands and units to generate assignments (ie. if there's a command let by a 3-star general, there has to be a second in command with the rank of a 2-star general, then there has to be a staff manned by 1-star generals and so on and so forth).
I get that but with the expansion of the ABRI wouldn't there be need for new division commanders and brigade commanders to take in the surplus two star and one star officers. My logic for three star commands is that a command level officer should be able to issue orders to Corps level formations. So, the question would be can a command level two star officer issue command to the chief of Kostrad who is a three star officer and who does the Chief of Kostrad report to? The Army Chief of Staff? At the very least there should be Tri/Tetra service commands with three star appointments for large geographical areas where the head of a command would be able to order around even three str officers and report directly to the Chief/Deputy Chief of ABRI

Police being a art of the military still shocks me. Come on now make the police a civilian organisation.
Or make a Police equivalent of ABRI with a National Guard trained for counter insurgency and border security led by a four star general, a regular police lead by a four star commissioner and a coast guard led by a four star admiral policing Indonesian internal waters, and the massive maritime boundary and have the same Chief of Internal Security Forces and Deputy Chief of Internal Security Forces. Maybe after Gaddafi makes his move and the Tsunami. And also half the Armed Forces seats in the MPR move to Police. This will also absorb excess officers during its formation. Maybe towards the end of Try's term.

The Next question would be is the deputy Chief of Army a four star assignment? I don't know why but I think injustice is being done to both SBY and now Ryamizard Ryacudu.
The next question is whether the appointment as governor can be an active military appointment in the political role of ABRI? I ask this because SBY seems to be both Governor of Lemhanas while still being in ABRI. Or did I confuse him with someone else.

The next two questions are what if
Firstly, what if on being found out SBY decided to forgo his military behaviour and decided to differ with his chief and said what's the point of election if one can't use their conscience? ABRI isn't an extension of PKPI and the days of Feisal Tanjung considering ABRI a part of Golkar is over.
Secondly, what if SBY of OTL was SIed into SBY ITTL? How would he react?

By increasing the number of regional military commands to damn 15 you surely have annoyed Benny Moerdani enough for him to come out of retirement.
The mention of Bali really scares me. I mean just because the government is more stable and Pancasila education is still going strong, that doesn't mean that particular problem isn't going to disappear into nothing.
For non Indonesians please reveal what you are talking about?
I dont know how are the relationships between Australia and Indonesia, but they are unusually hostile...
Is there any past event that makes people in Australia apprehensive about the economic and military might of Indonesia that they fear that there can be a conflict? Or is it simply because they are no longer the strongest military in the region.

Last edited:
For the past few chapters, I didn't really comment since I had really nothing to say...I think the ABRI reforms are fine, as does Indonesia posturing on the region...

BTW...
Well, sorry, Malaysia.
There really no need to apologize to Najib's goverment...if anything, the opposite would be needed....

Nah I think Bali would encounter a completely different type of problem, which is overcrowding, would probably the one that need the most attention....with the need to build more roads to accommodate cars that are coming from outside Bali, especially now that there would be more cars from Java ITTL thanks to better economy and better road infrastructure at the Javan side...perhaps Bali would be the one that introduce the first ERP system in Indonesia...

[And to be honest, I think Bali ITTL (during this presidential term at least) would probably had more problem dealing with the manner of unruly bogans than dealing with the problem
/s]

As for the problem...I think considering nature of ITTL Indonesia, I think the troublemakers would probably target places that are more symbolically related to Try achievements rather than Western culture (read:military installation and government offices)...what I want to say is, I think the hypothetical perpetrators are smart enough to not planning something that would advertently strengthen the bond between Indonesia and the Western countries...

Last edited:
25th March 2003:

[...] and Nono Sampono, who had been Commander of the Presidential Bodyguards for nearly 3 years, is appointed as Commander of the Marine Corps.
Congratulations!

*Though no repercussions had befallen his brothers-in-law and his associates, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has been left with no assignment.
Soon, Bambang... soon....

*Maj. Gen. (Pol.) Gories Mere becoming Commander of the Presidential Bodyguards.
Oh... (looking at the news) Nice to see him!

26th March 2003:

[...]

The President was happy with this though he remained concerned about Indonesia being an oil importer and the importance of securing sources of oil until new oil fields are up and running. He said that the Department of Mining and Energy has already been at work since the last few months of the previous term and are on the verge of concluding to another oil importing agreement. At the same time there needs to be more steps when it comes to making things more conducive for oil exploration in Indonesia.
I'm really happy with Khatami still in the head since Iran is currently in a much better state. Also, Iraqi or Venezuelan oils next?

Lastly, Bambang spoke of his conversations with those of the banking sector in the last few days. He said said that there are a lot of interest among those still as yet to settle their BLBI repayments not to wait until December to do so. The reason being that since they were getting “another 5 years of Try”, there was no point delaying or waiting for some kind of leniency that they hoped would come if someone else was elected president.

“We can do without the downer attitude”, the President said “But if they want to settle the BLBI repayments earlier, they’re more than welcome to.”
Good then.

27th March 2003:

In the afternoon, the President chaired a cabinet meeting attended by Sumarlin and all the ministers and agency heads. It was late afternoon when Edi Sudrajat emerged out of the meeting accompanied by Minister of Foreign Affairs Marzuki Darusman, Minister of Legal Affairs Oka Mahendra, Minister of Agriculture Sarwono Kusumaamatdja, Minister of Transportation Chappy Hakim, Minister of Manpower Muhyiddin Arubusman, and Minister of Health Azrul Azwar, Head of BARANTIN Ali Rahman and Head of the BNP2TKI Potsdam Hutasoit for a joint press conference.

[...]

“Last but not least”, read out Edi “The Minister of Health, on the instruction of the President and invoking Law no. 4 of 1984 regarding Epidemic, has hereby declared Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome as a disease that may cause an epidemic.
The battle (against SARS) is on!

28th March 2003:

The President, accompanied by Azrul and Edi, was at the Sulianti Saroso Hospital for Infectious Diseases, North Jakarta today. Wearing facemasks, full personal protective equipment, rubber gloves, faceshield, and hair cover, the President met with with the patients currently being treated in the SARS. The President also talked with doctors and nurses at the SARS ward there.
Well, this is a first. *salutes

There was a lot of press waiting when the President, Azrul, and Edi emerged of the hospital. There were a lot of questions about what the President thought about such developments, particularly that the patient contracted the disease in Malaysia.

“The concern right now is medical, not geopolitical; I’m not after anyone’s economy or after anyone’s prosperity, right now we just need to handle this. Singapore’s already shutting down schools, Hong Kong’s already shutting down schools”, the President explained as he disappeared inside his car “We can’t just say “that’s not going to happen to us”, we have to ake (sic) active steps to make sure that they don’t happen to us.”
Yeah, just like the Crisis back then...

Later in the day at Vice Presidential Palace, Sumarlin was interviewed by TVRI about the announcement made at the conclusion of the cabinet meeting today. He was in particular asked whether the steps taken are “excessive” considering that Indonesia has a lot less SARS cases when compared to China, Hong Kong, Taiwan or Singapore.

“I’m going to take the Asian Financial Crisis as an example and I know an epidemic and an economic crisis are two different things”, Sumarlin began “People always say to me that we got out of the Asian Financial Crisis because I was elected vice president and I’m able to offer him advice on the economy. I always tell them that they’re wrong. Our recovery began before I was vice president in that immediate period of 3 months after President Try assumes office when he was just throwing everything so that our currency stopped losing its value. If he hadn’t done that, I think we would have been in a lot of trouble.

I think the same principal applies here. The President is throwing as many things as he can at the epidemic now rather than later so that the there’s less risk of us reaching the point that Singapore has now reached. In this instance, being called “excessive” is but a small risk.”
Called it.

29th March 2003:
At the Balai Sudirman function hall, the PKPI held a slametan gathering to celebrate the results of the 2003 MPR General Session. The highlight of the ceremony was when Chairman of the PKPI Basofi Sudirman cut the top of the tumpeng rice and gave it to the President to much applause. Elsewhere in the ceremony, Minister of Defense and Security Wiranto received his PKPI membership card now that he is no longer an active duty ABRI officer.

Meanwhile, Basofi announced that Soeyono, until recently minister of tourism, will now be the Day-to-Day Chairman of the PKPI. Basofi said that doubling up between being a Vice Chairman of the DPR and Chairman of the PKPI is tiring so he will be delegating some responsibilities to Soeyono.
Well, well, when i thought Hendropriyono would be the one who resigned from the cabinet to take care of PKPI's leadership back then, i got proven wrong when he's just moving his chair on the cabinet. And now it actually Soeyono who takes the party job instead, lol.

31st March 2003:
The President arrived at Solo, Central Java by air this morning. From Solo’s Adisumarmo Airport, the President and his entourage travelled on a still empty Toll Road to the border of Central Java and East Java for today’s ceremony. There, accompanied by Minister of Public Works Budi Susilo Soepandji, Governor of Central Java M. Ma’ruf and Governor of East Java Haris Sudarno, the President inaugurated the Solo-Ngawi Toll Road. In his speech, the President said that normally he tries to inaugurate multiple things at once but that this particular project deserved its own inauguration.

“The Solo-Ngawi Toll Road is an important milestone in the Trans-Java Toll Road, it means the only stretches of toll roads that remains to be done if we are to complete the Trans-Java are in East Java”, the President announced to applause.
Approaching 3/4 (Surabaya) done it seems!

1st April 2003:
The President met with Marzuki Darusman today; the latter coming to him to report of recent developments. Marzuki said in the aftermath of the President’s decision to reject and suspend visa applications by Chinese nationals, other nations around Southeast Asia have followed suit the only exceptions being Myanmar and Cambodia. The President chuckled when he heard that even Malaysia had followed suit after Indonesia had rejected and suspended visa applications by Chinese nationals.

“Regardless of their stance towards you and what decision they have or have not taken, the word I’m hearing is that around Southeast Asia, they’re waiting to see whether or not Indonesia would “dare” to stop Chinese people from coming in and basing their own decision on this matter based on the decision we have made”, Marzuki said.

“What's Beijing’s reaction?” asked the President.

“They’re playing nice, Mr. President”, replied Marzuki “But that’s because President Luo Gan, Premier Wu Bangguo, and the rest of the Chinese Government are throwing themselves into handling SARS rather than any fond feelings for you.”
Well, good that the Chinese are constantly taking SARS much more seriously than i've expected.

“The best we can hope for is that this relationship can survive people like Latham or Reith strutting around being anti-Indonesian, that their tourists continues to come to Bali, and that nothing happens that brings out the worst in this relationship”, Marzuki said.

“Yes, let’s hope nothing happens”, replied the President; somehow getting the feeling that something eventually will.
Are you feeling it, Mr. President?

---
Indonesia only had 2 SARS cases OTL but already has 5 cases at this stage. The difference in ITTL is that there’s more economic activity in Indonesia, more people travelling in out of Indonesia, and people being more likely to catch SARS.
Aih... well, this is one of the "happenings" right now.

Nice try. But it won't be that problem.
And i know exactly what is going to be the next "happening".

There really no need to apologize to Najib's goverment...if anything, the opposite would be needed....
There's still Anwar Ibrahim or Badawi to place a hope for.

Nah I think Bali would encounter a completely different type of problem, which is overcrowding, would probably the one that need the most attention....with the need to build more roads to accommodate cars that are coming from outside Bali, especially now that there would be more cars from Java ITTL thanks to better economy and better road infrastructure at the Javan side...perhaps Bali would be the one that introduce the first ERP system in Indonesia...
Bali Tram (est. 2009), anyone?

[And to be honest, I think Bali ITTL (during this presidential term at least) would probably had more problem dealing with the manner of unruly bogans than dealing with the problem /s]
Then, probably a "it's not flour" problem ? I mean, there's the Nine.
Well, we can handwave that stuff since Indonesia is still an authoritarian state. But if those Aussies are still daring enough.....

Soenarko is promoted to major general and appointed Commander of Kopassus
Woah... Is this who i think it is? The same Soenarko that led Kopassus in OTL?

Letting a "green" lead Kopassus is unwise i would think, Kodam sure. But that's too much of an olive branch if Kopassus commander is the price. Why not Hotmangaraja Panjaitan? Is he already appointed somewhere else? Or just go full Pramono Edhie if his appointment is to appease SBY's faction (and change Djoko Santoso to Edwin Sudjono to make people hate their faction even more and wedge a divide in his faction lmao /s)

Last edited:
Police being a art of the military still shocks me. Come on now make the police a civilian organisation.
Or make a Police equivalent of ABRI
That's too far... For now, there's no pressure from anyone but from the Police themselves so doing this would alienate some people in ABRI without getting anything substantial in return(the populace will not be that enthusiastic about it and i don't think the market will like it either considering that's gonna need quiet a bit of money for administration stuff cause they gotta separate them from ministry of defense and security less they're still gonna be under Wiranto + it's gonna be harder to reform them if they don't have a substantial reformist elements when ABRI itself is already on FULL REFORMIST MODE 😎)

Mr President, you have a phone call from Mr. Hussein.

You are hit the mark
There are hawkish faction that truly hostile stance towards Indonesia in Malaysia and Australia
Both faction have delusion grandeur portraiting Indonesia as Brutish and Aggressor Nation. You will only laugh with their delusion

Malaysia Hawkish Faction= Indonesia created by US to destroy Malaysia

Australia Hawkish Faction= Indonesia will have population exceed 1 billion and forcefilly invade to annex Australia.

Dunno how hawkish mind working but they are unusually have influence on politics

Letting a "green" lead Kopassus is unwise i would think, Kodam sure. But that's too much of an olive branch if Kopassus commander is the price. Why not Hotmangaraja Panjaitan? Is he already appointed somewhere else? Or just go full Pramono Edhie if his appointment is to appease SBY's faction (and change Djoko Santoso to Edwin Sudjono to make people hate their faction even more and wedge a divide in his faction lmao /s)
Short Answer: Hotmangaradja has been Commander of Kopasus since Jan. 2002. He's now the Operations Assistant in the Army.

I think alignments are going to be different because ABRI is pretty much red and white dominated now So I'm going to make the assumption that what in OTL are the "green officers" or officers who have supported certain others have learned to go with the prevailing situation and adapt.

Djoko Santoso is a case in point. Everybody knows his OTL self as someone with a long association to Yudhoyono. But you look at his career (https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djoko_Santoso#Riwayat_jabatan) and you'll note that in 1995, he was the Assistant for Socio-Political Affairs at the Jakarta Regional Command. At the same time, the Commander of the Jakarta Regional Command in 1995 was none other than Wiranto and that means he is known to Wiranto.

This changes his dynamics ITTL. He may sympathize with Yudhoyono and earn Try's suspicion but at the same time, he has no less than the Minister of Defense and Security saying that he's okay.

Long Answer:
ABRI after March 2003 Command Shuffle:
Bold indicates newly appointed to the position

ABRI Headquarters:
*Commander of ABRI: Gen. TB Hasanuddin
*Deputy Commander of ABRI: Adm. Djoko Sumaryono
*ABRI Chief of the General Staff: V. Adm. Tedjo Edhy
*ABRI Chief of the Socio-Political Affairs Staff: Lt. Gen. Saurip Kadi
*Inspector General of ABRI: Lt. Gen. Ryamizard Ryacudu (Try’s son-in-law)
*Assistant of Intelligence: Maj. Gen. Nurdin Zainal
*Assistant of Operations: Maj. Gen. George Toisutta
*Assistant of Personnel: R. Adm. Sumardjono
*Assistant of Logistics: V. Mshl. Subandrio
*Assistant of Planning: Maj. Gen. Noer Muis
*Assistant of Social Order: Maj. Gen. (Pol.) Jusuf Manggabarani
*Assistant of Socio-Political Affairs: V. Mshl. Iwan Sidi (Try’s aide-de-camp as VP)
*Assistant of Territorial Affairs: Maj. Gen. Liliek Sumayo
*Assistant of Functional Affairs: Maj. Gen. Bambang Darmono
*Assistant of Communication and Electronic: Maj. Gen. Amir Tohar

*Commander of the ABRI Staff and Command College: Lt. Gen. Syarifuddin Tippe
*Deputy Commander of the ABRI Staff and Command College: R. Adm. Agus Suhartono

*Commander of the ABRI Academy: Mshl. Edy Harjoko
*Deputy Commander of the ABRI Academy: Maj. Gen. Darpito Pudyastungkoro

*Chief of the ABRI Intelligence Agency: Lt. Gen. Amirul Isnaeni (is ill)
*Deputy Chief of the ABRI Intelligence Agency: Maj. Gen. Rachmat Budiyanto

Department of Defense and Security:

*Minister of Defense and Security: Gen. (Ret.) Wiranto
*Secretary of the Department of Defense and Security: Lt. Gen. Romulo Simbolon
*Inspector General of the Department of Defense and Security: Lt. Gen. Yudhomo Sastrosuhardjo
*Director General of Planning: Maj. Gen. Agustadi Sasongko Purnomo
*Director General of Personnel, Human Resources, and Veterans’ Affairs: Maj. Gen. (Pol.) Kadaryanto
*Director General of Materiel, Facilities, and Services: R. Adm. Slamet Soebijanto

*Governor of Lemhanas: Lt. Gen. Albert Inkiriwang
*Lieutenant Governor of Lemhanas: V. Mshl. Djoko Suyanto

Palace:

*Military Secretary: Maj. Gen. Junianto Haroen
*Commander of the Presidential Bodyguards: Maj. Gen. (Pol.) Gories Mere
*Deputy Commander of the Presidential Bodyguards: Brig. Gen. Erwin Hudawi Lubis

Army:

*Army Chief of Staff: Gen. Srijanto Muntasram
*Deputy Army Chief of Staff: Lt. Gen. Prijanto
*Inspector General of the Army: Maj. Gen. Erwin Sudjono
*Intelligence Assistant of the Army: Maj. Gen. Anshory Tadjuddin
*Operations Assistant of the Army: Maj. Gen. Hotmangaradja Panjaitan
*Personnel Assistant of the Army: Maj. Gen. Bambang Suranto
*Logistics Assistant of the Army: Maj. Gen. Osaka Meilala
*Planning Assistant of the Army: Maj. Gen. Tono Suratman
*Territorial Assisant of the Army: Maj. Gne. Jul Effendi Sjarief

*Commander of the Army Education and Training Command: Lt. Gen. Syaiful Rizal

*Commander of Kostrad: Lt. Gen. Djoko Santoso
*Chief of Staff of Kostrad: Maj. Gen. Rasyid Qurnuen Aquary

*Commander of the 1st Infantry Division of Kostrad: Maj. Gen. Agung Revulton
*Chief of Staff of the 1st Infantry Division of Kostrad: Brig. Gen. Adi Mulyono

*Commander of the 2nd Infantry Division of Kostrad: Maj. Gen. Azmyn Nasution
*Chief of Staff of the 2nd Infantry Division of Kostrad: Brig. Gen. Geerhan Lentara

*Commander of the 3rd Infantry Division of Kostrad: Maj. Gen. Suroyo Gino
*Chief of Staff of the 3rd Infantry Division of Kostrad: Brig. Gen. Tisna Komara

*Commander of the Army Staff and Command College: Maj. Gen. Mahidin Simbolon

*Commander of the Aceh Regional Military Command: Maj. Gen. Hendra Rizal
*Chief of Staff of the Aceh Regional Military Command: Brig. Gen. Moeldoko

*Commander of the Northern Sumatra Regional Military Command: Maj. Gen. Amril Amir
*Chief of Staff of the Northern Sumatra Regional Military Command: Brig. Gen. Erfi Triassunu

*Commander of the Southern Sumatra Regional Military Command: Maj. Gen. Suwarno
*Chief of Staff of the Southern Sumatra Regional Military Command: Brig. Gen. Gede Suardhana

*Commander of the Jakarta Regional Military Command: Maj. Gen. Suharsono
*Chief of Staff of the Jakarta Regional Military Command: Brig. Gen. Budiman (Presidential Aide-De-Camp in the previous term)

*Commander of the West Java Regional Military Command: Maj. Gen. Hariyadi Soetanto
*Chief of Staff of the West Java Regional Military Command: Brig. Gen. Kitaran Sihotang

*Commander of the Central Java Regional Military Command: Maj. Gen. Marciano Norman
*Chief of Staff of the Central Java Regional Military Command: Brig. Gen. Agus Gunaedi Pribadi

*Commander of the East Java Regional Military Command: Maj. Gen. Moedijono
*Chief of Staff of the Central Java Regional Military Command: Brig. Gen. Pramono Edhie Wibowo

*Commander of the Western Kalimantan Regional Military Command: Maj. Gen. Sugeng Budi Harsono
*Chief of Staff of the Western Kalimantan Regional Military Command: Brig. Gen. Hari Krisnomo

*Commander of the Eastern Kalimantan Regional Military Command: Maj. Gen. Nana Djuana Priadi
*Chief of Staff of the Eastern Kalimantan Regional Military Command: Brig. Gen. Muktianto

*Commander of the Northern Sulawesi Regional Military Command: Maj. Gen. LP Siegers
*Chief of Staff of the Northern Sulawesi Regional Military Command: Brig. Gen. Thomas Edy Widagdo

*Commander of the Southern Sulawesi Regional Military Command: Maj. Gen. Mulhim Asyrof
*Chief of Staff of the Southern Sulawesi Regional Military Command: Burhanuddin Siagian

*Commander of the Nusa Tenggara Regional Military Command: Maj. Gen. Tan Aspan
*Chief of Staff of the Nusa Tenggara Regional Military Command: Brig. Gen. Lodewijk Friedrich Paulus

*Commander of the East Timor Regional Military Command: Maj. Gen. Amiruddin Usman
*Chief of Staff of the East Timor Regional Military Command: Brig. Gen. Nizam

*Commander of the Maluku Regional Military Command: Maj. Gen. Siswondo
*Chief of Staff of the Maluku Regional Military Command: Brig. Gen. Waris

*Commander of the Irian Jaya Regional Military Command: Maj. Gen. Burhanuddin Amin
*Chief of Staff of the Irian Jaya Regional Military Command: Brig. Gen. Murdjito

*Commander of the Kopassus: Maj. Gen. Soenarko
*Deputy Commander of the Kopassus: Brig. Gen. Hotma Marbun

Navy:

*Navy Chief of Staff: Adm. Djoko Agoes Hanoeng
*Deputy Navy Chief of Staff: V. Adm. Bambang Supeno
*Commander of the Navy Education and Training Command: V. Adm. Waldi Murad
*Commander of the 1st Fleet: R. Adm. Adi Prabawa
*Commander of the 2nd Fleet: R. Adm. Moekhlas Sidik
*Commander of the 3rd Fleet: R. Adm. Jurianto
*Commander of the Marine Corps: Maj. Gen. (Mar.) Nono Sampono
*Commander of the Sealift Command (Kolinlamil): R. Adm. Maryono

Air Force:

*Air Force Chief of Staff: ACM. Teddy Sumarno
*Air Force Deputy Chief of Staff: Mshl. I Gusti Made Oka
*Commander of the Air Force Education and Training Command: Mshl. Mardjono SW
*Commander of the Air Force 1st Operation Command: V. Mshl. Pandji Utama Iskaq
*Commander of the Air Force 2nd Operation Command: V. Mshl. Erry Biatmoko
*Commander of the Air Force 3rd Operation Command: V. Mshl. Ganjar Wiranegara
*Commander of the Air Defense Command: V. Mshl. Ida Bagus Sanubari
*Commander of the Air Force Special Forces (Korpaskhas): Cdre. I Putu Sulastra

Police:
*Chief of Police: Police (Gen.) I Made Mangku Pastika
*Deputy Chief of Police: Lt. Gen. (Pol.) Firman Gani
*Commander of the Mobile Brigade: Maj. Gen. (Pol.) Indradi Thanos

---
Yes, whenever I do an ABRI Command shuffle in the main TL, I keep some notes to myself of what happens “off-screen”. I was weighing up whether or not I should post my notes for the command shuffles for this term but @Fialnir helped made me make up my mind. I don’t know what yet but Hotmangaradja will be important. Erwin Sudjono was Inspector General of the Army when TB Hasanuddin was Army Chief of Staff and was a division commander of Kostrad when TB was Commander of Kostrad. So this factor really helps the Yudhoyono-ites as far TB convincing Try that while SBY should probably be booted, nothing should happen to his supporters.

Most of the details are spent on ABRI Headquarters and the Army because of “we’ll be here forever” factors if I focus in greater detail on the Navy, Air Force and Police (I quit doing the Kapolda and Wakapolda a loooong time ago).

This will be a series of names for the non-Indonesian readers but the Indonesian readers will know who’s working their way up the ranks in ITTL ABRI.

Remember the retirement age is still 55. No new TNI Law to raise the retirement age to 58.

ABRI Command shuffles were a big deal during Soeharto’s era given ABRI’s political role and prominence. Hell, TNI command shuffles and Police command shuffles are a big deal now even though they are now non-political institutions.

Last edited:
You are hit the mark
There are hawkish faction that truly hostile stance towards Indonesia in Malaysia and Australia
Both faction have delusion grandeur portraiting Indonesia as Brutish and Aggressor Nation. You will only laugh with their delusion

Malaysia Hawkish Faction= Indonesia created by US to destroy Malaysia (read: they had already forgot about Konfrontasi)

Australia Hawkish Faction= Indonesia will have population exceed 1 billion and forcefilly invade to annex Australia.

Dunno how hawkish mind working but they are unusually have influence on politics
Well to be honest....I think delusion of the hawkish faction are more likely to be influenced by the CCP (which want to have them distracted and not prying their eyes on its ambitions) more than anything else...

Weapons Acquired By Indonesia During Try's Presidency Thus Far
Weapon Acquired During Try's Presidency Thus Far:
-Other than the deliveries from orders in the immediate years prior to Try’s assumption of the presidency, the year in which a weapons system is mention alludes to the year in which it is ordered.

-Everything ordered until 2000, excepting the 3 attack submarines, have been delivered. Some of what has been ordered in 2001 has been delivered. Everything else still needs to be delivered.

Deliveries from orders in the immediate years prior to Try’s assumption of the presidency:
-20 x Nomad Utility Aircraft (Navy) (Australia) Relations still warm when purchase and delivery was made
-4 x PB-57 Fast Patrol Craft (Navy) (Germany) PT PAL Production License
-90 x Scorpion Tank (Army) (UK)
-14 x Tactica APC (Police) (UK)
-18 x VAB APC (Army) (France)
-6 x C-212-200 MPA (Navy) (Spain) also includes IPTN Production License
-40 x BAE Hawk (Air Force) (UK) also includes IPTN Production License
-6 x F-28 Transport (Air Force) (Netherlands)
-1 x NB412 (Air Force) (United States) IPTN licensed Product
-16 x AS332 Supercopter Puma (Air Force) (France) IPTN Licensed Product
-5 x Type 206 Submarine (Navy) (Germany)
-34 BTR-50 Amphibious APC (Navy) (Ukraine)

1998:
-40 x BMP-2 (Navy) (Slovakia licensed by USSR)
-9 x Rapier Launchers plus 150 Rapier-2 missiles (Army) (United Kingdom)
-3 x Boa-Class Fast Patrol Boat (Navy) Produced by the Navy’s Western Fleet’s Maintance and Repairs Facilities (Fasharkan)
-30 x Pindad Light APC (Army and Police) Produced by Pindad
-4 x Todak FPB (Navy) Produced by PT. PAL

1999:
-5 x Boa-Class Fast Patrol Boat (Navy) Produced by the Navy’s Western Fleet’s Fasharkan
-15 x Rapier Launchers plus 300 Rapier-2 missiles (Army) (United Kingdom)
-15 x Pindad Medium APC-1 (Army) No mass procurement because Texmaco, the company providing the chassis for the APC, are still making BLBI repayments.
-30 x Pindad Light APC (Police) Produced by Pindad
-6 x TRS 2230 Radar (Air Force) (France)
-1 x Dong Yang Express Ferry converted into a troopship (Navy) (South Korea) [became KRI Tanjung Kambani]

2000:
-60 x M113 APC (Army) (Belgium) Surplus being given as aid
-32 x VAB APC (Army) (France)
-18 x LG1 Mk 3 Howitzer (Army) (France)
-3 x Boa-Class Fast Patrol Boat (Navy) Produced by the Navy’s Western Fleet Fasharkan
-4 x Viper-Class Fast Patrol Boat (Navy) Produced by the Navy’s Eastern Fleet’s Fasharkan
-4 x SIGMA Corvette (Navy) (Netherlands)
-3 x Type 209 Attack Submarines (Navy) (South Korea licensed by Germany) Production ongoing
-12 x Su-30 (Air Force) (Russia)
-14 x Mi-17 Transport Helicopters (Air Force) (Russia)

2001:
-10 x LSTs (Army) Production ongoing by PT. PAL, as of 2003 payment brought forward using money originally earmarked for 28 F-16s.
-6 x CASA C-212-MPA (Navy) Produced by IPTN
-3 x NBO-105 (Navy) Produced by IPTN
-10 x Todak FPB (Navy) Produced by PT. PAL
-15 x Pindad Medium APC-2 (Army) produced by Pindad. No mass procurement because the company providing the chassis, Texmaco are still making BLBI repayments.
-12 x BTR-80 APCs (Navy) (Russia)

2002:
-4 x Kidd-Class Destroyers (Navy) (United States)
-50 x VAB APC (Army) (France)
-41 x Leopard 2 MBTs (Army) (Germany)
-50 x Marder IFVs (Army) (Germany)
-1 x Driver Training Tank (Army) (Germany)
-1 x Bergepanzer Armored Recovery Vehicle (Germany)
-3 x M3 Amphibious Rigs (Germany)
-40 x BMP-3 IFVs (Navy) (Russia)
-12 x Mil-17 Assault Helicopters (Army) (Russia)
-2 x Daesun Landing Platform Dock (Navy) (South Korea) also includes Production License for PT. PAL

2003:
-50 x Marder IFVs (Army) (Germany)
-1 x Driver Training Tank (Germany)
-1 x Bergepanzer Armored Recovery Vehicle (Germany)
-24 x Su-30 (Air Force) (Russia)
-24 x Mig-29 (Air Force) (Russia)
-80 x BMP-3F IFVs (Navy) (Russia)
-3 x URAL-4320 Repairs and Communications Vehicle (Navy) (Russia)
-6 x BREM-L Armoured Recovery Vehicle (Russia)
-38 x BTR-80 APCs (Navy) (Russia) All Russian weapons systems mentioned in 2003 is funded by a $1 billion credit given by Russian government
-4 x C-130H (Air Force) (United States) Military Aid
-36 x M109A6 Self-Propelled Howitzers (Army) (United States) Military Aid
-36 x M116 Howitzer (Army) (United States) Military Aid
-30 x Scorpion Light Tanks (Army) (United Kingdom) Military Aid
-20 x Ferret Gage Reconaissance APC (Army) (United Kingdom) Military Aid
-2 x Type-23 Frigates (Navy) (United Kingdom) Soft loan

---
Just decided to do this when looking at the military equipment of Indonesia during the end of year holidays and finding this that in OTL, despite being in the middle of the Asian Financial Crisis, ABRI/TNI managed to buy BVP/BMP-2 over 1998-1999 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP-2#Current_operators) as well as some BTR-50 Amphibious APCs over 1997-1999 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTR-50#Current_operators) This has basically bugged me for a few weeks because given how ITTL Indonesia fared, they probably could have obtained more weapons even during the crisis.

So what I’ve done revise some things abut what is procured when especially in the first half of the first term. There are timelines of things being ordered being moved around so that they are ordered earlier, things already mentioned in TL having a specific date in which they are ordered (ITTL’s Sigma Corvette and Chang Bogo), new additions (Rapiers and TRS radar) and some orders involving the defense-related state-owned enterprises.

For the list of weapons which are acquired in the ITTL final years of Soeharto please refer to Leonard C. Sebastian's Realpolitik Ideology: Indonesia's Use of Military Force (https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...=leonard+c.+sebastian+TNI&printsec=frontcover) pp. 234-236

For the sake of simplicity, I’ve not really focused on small arms. Please assume that whatever combat ship or fighter aircraft will have its OTL collection of radar, missiles, guns attached to it unless it's specifically pointed out otherwise.

The one where I have totally changed things is in regard to Pindad’s APC. As of ITTL 2002, it was still APR-1 but I’ve retconned that. The one that’s being focused on by Pindad is the APS APCs (which becomes the Anoa in OTL) but they are waiting until Marimutu Sinivasan, owner of Texmaco, to complete his BLBI repayments before going ahead with mass production. In the meantime they’re still working on developing the APC.

2001’s list is short because the world was going through an economic downturn.

If it seems like there’s IFVs going to the Navy that’s not a mistake. The Indonesian Marine Corps is part of the Navy.

Wismoyo went out with a bang there, funded by Russian credit and military aid by US/UK as they try to court Indonesia to be sure, but wow…Wiranto has big shoes to fill.

Last edited:
245: Tank Treasure Trove In The Graveyard of Empires
3rd April 2003:
Minister of Manpower Muhyiddin Arubusman came out of a meeting with President Try Sutrisno. Muhyiddin said that the President has instructed him to guide businesses around Indonesia to be mindful of the provisions of the Manpower Law so that when the law takes effect in September, said provisions could be immediately put in place. When told that business owners can be “tricky” in complying with the law, Muhyiddin laughed and said that his organizational experiences, including at the PPP, the Nahdlatul Ulama, the All-Indonesian Workers Union (SPSI), Indonesian Islamic Student Movement (PMII), has taught him the skill to “talk things out” with those who are not convinced.

Also coming out of a meeting with the President that day was Minister of Civil Service Reform Hendropriyono. Hendropriyono said that the President had approved of the formation of two agencies. The first will be the Special Economic Zone Authority Agency (BKEK) which will oversee and guide the development of all the special economic zones that has been established.

The second will be the Secretariat of the National Security Council (DKN). Hendropriyono said that this is what the State Ministry of National Security has been dissolved into and various matters regarding national security will be under the purview of the DKN which will be assisted administratively by the Secretariat of the DKN. The DKN will be formed in due course by the President.

4th April 2003:
The Leader of the PKPI in the DPR Sofyan Lubis, the Leader of the PPP in the DPR Bachtiar Chamsyah, and the Leader of ABRI in the DPR Tri Tamtomo in a post-Friday Prayer announcement said that the PKPI, PPP, and ABRI had collectively submitted amendments to the National Audit Agency (BPK) Law and the Supreme Court Law; in both instances proposing that the retirement age for the members of said institutions be raised from 65 to 70 years old. Sofyan said that this amendment had been proposed on account of increased life expectancies.

The President and Chairman of the DPR Matori Abdul Djalil watched this unfold on the television screen while munching on their post-Friday Prayer lunch.

“Bending over backwards for Hamzah”, Matori said shaking his head at the thought of his fellow PPP member Hamzah Haz “Never thought the day would come, Mr. President.”

“The retirement age of the Chairman of the BPK is 65, Hamzah is 63”, the President said “We don’t do this now, Mr. Chairman, and he will cause mischief again if he has to step down from the position that has been promised to him in 2005.”

“I guess you’re right” Matori said “And as requested, the amendments will start to apply with newly appointed BPK auditors and Supreme Court justices.”

The President nodded in acknowledgment.

“Thank you for making sure of that, Mr. Chairman” the President said “I hate to trouble you but there are political debts that I must pay.”

“Speaking of which”, Matori began “There is still the debt to be paid to the Treasurer of the PKPB, am I correct, Mr. President?”

The President took a sip of water.

“Akbar Tandjung will get what he’s asked for, but until the time is right he needs to do some of the hard lifting himself”, the President “He’s one more reason why we need to get Hamzah in the BPK, because the PKPB’s going to guess rightly that that’s the price for Hamzah’s support for me and they’re going to blame him even more for causing Tutut’s defeat instead of looking elsewhere.”

7th April 2003:
Minister of Tourism Sutiyoso emerged out of a meeting at the Presidential Palace, to announce the President’s approval to hold the “Ujung Pandang Fair” the concept is of an exhibition such as the Jakarta Fair but being held in Ujung Pandang in November to mark the founding of that city. Sutiyoso explained that eventually he wants other big cities in Indonesia to hold similar events but that Ujung Pandang has been picked to go first. This is to allow for a team from South Sulawesi to do research during the Jakarta Fair in June and then prepare accordingly for November.

Speaking to the press after his own meeting with the President, Minister of Transportation Chappy Hakim was asked about tales of arriving passengers from “travel-advised countries” being taken into custody for refusing to wear facemasks. Chappy said that this was true because under the Epidemics Law, all those deliberately getting in the way of the steps to control and contain SARS may be charged a fine or be served with a prison sentence for up to a year.

8th April 2003:
The President, Vice President JB Sumarlin, Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti, and Junior Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Iwan Jaya Azis hosted a National Development Work Meeting attended by the Department of Economics and National Development’s Planning top officials as well as their regional counterparts in the provinces, regencies, and municipalities.

In his keynote speech, the President told those present that the time has come to prepare for Repelita VIII which is scheduled to begin on 1st April 2004. The President highlighted to those present what he hopes to be the key priorities of Repelita VIII:

*Maintain present levels of economic growth to generate employment and increase living standards
*Strengthen various sectors of the economy not only for its own sake but as preparation for when AFTA is in full effect
*Ensure that economic development be more equitable to moderate and even minimize disparities
*Ensure that the benefits of economic development and growth are felt by the people

“My predecessor, President Soeharto, spoke of our nation as becoming a just and prosperous society after we have completed Repelita X”, the President said “With that in my mind, I believe that this Repelita, the eighth out of ten national development plans, will be an important one. It will be the opportunity for us to make our journey towards nation towards a just and prosperous society irreversible.”

9th April 2003:
State Minister of Environment Erna Witoelar in a press conference announced that the President has approved of a National Ambient Air Quality Standards which determines the maximum amount that certain pollutants can be present before it starts to become a health hazard. This marks the first time that such standards are enacted in Indonesia. The press focused on the reinstatement of the state ministry of environment as a standalone ministry at which point Erna said that this was a welcome move because while it was acceptable to combine the ministry with the Department of Forestry out of a need to cut costs during the Asian Financial Crisis but that it was now time to have this ministry back in action again.

Coming out of a meeting with the President, Minister of Health Azrul Azwar announced that as of that day, Indonesia has 7 SARS cases and no deaths. Azrul also announced that the President has instructed that Hong Kong and Taiwan’s travel advisories be upgraded to “avoid non-essential travel” and that all visa applications from those two places are either rejected or will not be considered for the time being owing to the situation there.

10th April 2003:
At the Presidential Palace, the President welcomed the arrival of Chairman of the Afghanistan Interim Administration Mohammed Fahim. After the welcoming ceremony, the President and Fahim retreated into the Palace. The President accompanied by Minister of Foreign Affairs Marzuki Darusman and State Secretary Edi Sudrajat while Fahim was accompanied by Afghanistan Minister of Foreign Affairs Ali Jalali.

Try welcomed Fahim and expressed his admiration at Fahim’s courage at taking on the task of getting a war-torn country back on its feet. Fahim meanwhile expressed his thanks at the stance Indonesia had taken against religious extremism.

Fahim spoke about the situation at Afghanistan. The Taliban had fallen, Osama Bin Laden is still at large, and he could not help but think the resources the United States is now devoting to invade and unseat President of Yugoslavia Slobodan Milosevic could be devoted to Afghanistan. Marzuki asked how was the United States is perceived in Afghanistan. Jalali said Afghanistan, at least the Interim Administration and its supporters, hold a positive view of the United States though it lost some luster because it accidentally killed Hamid Karzai in friendly fire in December 2001 leading to Fahim assuming the position he now occupies.

When discussing about other nations in the immediate vicinity of Afghanistan, Fahim said that he was “Well-disposed” towards Iran while saying that Pakistan did not seem to be as friendly towards the current government as it did towards the Taliban. On Pakistan, Try said that Afghanistan was better off trying to build relations with India; regarding Iran, that even if the United States and the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) are a bit stand-offish towards Iran, there is nothing wrong with Afghanistan maintaining its good relations with Iran.

A State Dinner was held in Fahim’s honour at the Presidential Palace that night.

11th April 2003:
The morning saw Try and Fahim meeting with each other this time accompanied by ministers. Marzuki, Minister of Legal Affairs Oka Mahendra, Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti, Minister of Trade Anthony Salim, and Edi Sudrajat sat on Try’s side of the table. While Jalali, Minister of Finance Ashraf Ghani, Minister of Commerce Anwar ul-Haq Awady, and Minister of Refugees Intayatullah Nazeri accompanied Fahim. Among the things which were agreed to were the following:

*Oka Mahendra and Intayatullah agreed on a timetable for repatriating Afghan refugees who have found their way to Indonesia since 1996 back to Afghanistan.

*Anthony and ul-Haq Awady agreed that Indonesian FMCGs will be given access to Afghanistan’s market. The Afghan government to facilitate importers intending to bring in Indonesian FMCGs.

It was on the matter of aid that there was something of a disagreement. Ghani requested aid in the form of funds to finance the development of school buildings and while he was appreciative of the threshing machines Dorodjatun had given to assist with Afghan agriculture, it was clear that he wanted more. While Try watched Dorodjatun and Ghani haggle, Fahim and Jalali whispered to one another and from Edi’s vantage point it looked like Fahim just convinced Jalali to agree to something.

Try and Fahim went to Baiturrahim Mosque on the grounds of the Presidential Palace for Friday Prayer before walking back to the Presidential Palace by foot. It was while walking back that Fahim brought up the matter of aid.

“I’m flattered that you see our nation as being capable of the aid you’re asking for but we’re not at that level yet, Mr. Chairman”, Try said “It’s a big enough deal as it is giving aid to Papua New Guinea to help them build a road.”

“I understand Mr. President”, Fahim said “Perhaps I can rephrase it to you in a different way, let’s forget that we’re requesting aid for now and focus on the fact that Afghanistan can offer something that can be beneficial to Indonesia.”

“Okay, I’m listening”, Try replied “What is it that you want to offer me, Mr. Chairman?”

---
The President sat in his office surrounded by Marzuki and Edi; they were joined by Minister of Defense and Security Wiranto. The television played news coverage of Fahim arriving at Halim Perdanakusuma Airport to depart for his next destination.

“So that’s what Fahim and Jalali were talking about earlier”, Edi said “That’s not a bad idea actually, they get some cash we get some weapons.”

“What do you think?” asked the President to Wiranto.

“T-54/T-55s…”, Wiranto said “There’s a lot of those in Afghanistan, Mr. President, probably hundreds…we can pick the ones that’s best-maintained or in the best shape.”

"Well I'm going to expect a discount if they want us to buy in bulk", the President said "You have the 2003 ABRI Leadership Meeting next week but see that you make a trip to Afghanistan not long after that."

“Buying Soviet-era equipment from a nation occupied by the United States and NATO...”, Marzuki said while chuckling to himself "Doesn't get more free and active than that."

13th April 2003:
In the late afternoon, it was President’s own turn to be at Halim Perdanakusuma Airport. In the Airport’s VIP room, the President was huddled in a corner with Commander of ABRI TB Hasanuddin. The latter reported to the President that the 2003 ABRI Leadership Meeting will get underway tomorrow while the President is overseas.

“It’s best that I’m overseas for this so that the officer corps aren’t constantly looking in my direction trying to anticipate what I want”, the President “And you can start making your mark on ABRI.”

“I continue to thank you for your trust, Mr. President”, TB replied.

“Whatever you’re going to decide, make sure everyone agrees with it”, the President replied “Whether it’s the territorial commands or how we’re going to fix ourselves after that ABRI Joint Exercise, make sure there’s agreement on what step to take going forward.”

“Sir, yes Sir”, TB said as the President stood up to get ready to leave.

The Presidential Airplane departed Jakarta and touched down at Bangkok International Airport 3.5 hours later. The President, leading by example, along with First Lady Tuti Setiawati descended from the aircraft wearing a facemask and had their temperatures checked.

At the Airport’s VIP room he was welcomed by none other than Prime Minister of Thailand Thaksin Shinawatra and Minister of Foreign Affairs Surakiart Sathirathai. There were a lot of cameras in the room as Thaksin made sure that his handshake with Try also doubled as a photo-op. There was a lot of flash photography in the room but a lot of questions were thrown the leaders’ way.

“Prime Minister Thaksin, this is the second time in a month that you are meeting with President Try Sutrisno, the first time when you made the sudden decision to attend his inauguration last month”, asked one reporter “Is this your way of shielding yourself from all that’s happened over the last few months? By latching onto the coattails of Southeast Asia’s most prominent leader?”

“Prime Minister Thaksin, can you be confident of the Army’s stance towards your government the way President Try can be confident of ABRI’s stance towards his?” asked another reporter.

“Thank you, thank you very much”, Thaksin said “Please allow President Try so he can go to his accommodation and get some rest.”

“Tough crowd, huh, Mr. Prime Minister?” Try asked once they got far away enough from the press.

“Yes, of course, Mr. President”, Thaksin replied with a smile though it was clear to Try that Thaksin looked tense.

---
Chappy Hakim using Article 14 of the Epidemics Law to have people arrested in airport who are deliberately not being cooperative https://www.regulasip.id/book/11688/read

DKN will be ITTL’s version of the Wantannas. There is of course Soeharto’s Wanhankamnas but this became the agency in charge of producing the Draft GBHN which Soeharto would submit to the MPR rather than a place to discuss national security issues https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...ankamnas+gbhn&pg=RA5-PA17&printsec=frontcover, ITTL it was abolished by Try to safe funds during the Asian Financial Crisis.

Hamid Karzai surviving US friendly fire is an OTL incident https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/dec/05/afghanistan1

A bit difficult to pinpoint how many T-54/T-55s were there exactly in Afghanistan during this time. Wiki says at least 400 T-54s, T-55s, and T-62 as of 1992 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-54/T-55_operators_and_variants), Global Security’s numbers are higher (https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/afghanistan/army-equipment.htm)

Minister of Tourism Sutiyoso emerged out of a meeting at the Presidential Palace, to announce the President’s approval to hold the “Ujung Pandang Fair” the concept is of an exhibition such as the Jakarta Fair but being held in Ujung Pandang in November to mark the founding of that city. Sutiyoso explained that eventually he wants other big cities in Indonesia to hold similar events but that Ujung Pandang has been picked to go first. This is to allow for a team from South Sulawesi to do research during the Jakarta Fair in June and then prepare accordingly for November.

Speaking to the press after his own meeting with the President, Minister of Transportation Chappy Hakim was asked about tales of arriving passengers from “travel-advised countries” being taken into custody for refusing to wear facemasks. Chappy said that this was true because under the Epidemics Law, all those deliberately getting in the way of the steps to control and contain SARS may be charged a fine or be served with a prison sentence for up to a year.
For some reason Amma Ciang popped in my head when I read this section.

4th April 2003:
The Leader of the PKPI in the DPR Sofyan Lubis, the Leader of the PPP in the DPR Bachtiar Chamsyah, and the Leader of ABRI in the DPR Tri Tamtomo in a post-Friday Prayer announcement said that the PKPI, PPP, and ABRI had collectively submitted amendments to the National Audit Agency (BPK) Law and the Supreme Court Law; in both instances proposing that the retirement age for the members of said institutions be raised from 65 to 70 years old. Sofyan said that this amendment had been proposed on account of increased life expectancies.

The President and Chairman of the DPR Matori Abdul Djalil watched this unfold on the television screen while munching on their post-Friday Prayer lunch.

“Bending over backwards for Hamzah”, Matori said shaking his head at the thought of his fellow PPP member Hamzah Haz “Never thought the day would come, Mr. President.”

“The retirement age of the Chairman of the BPK is 65, Hamzah is 63”, the President said “We don’t do this now, Mr. Chairman, and he will cause mischief again if he has to step down from the position that has been promised to him in 2005.”

“I guess you’re right” Matori said “And as requested, the amendments will start to apply with newly appointed BPK auditors and Supreme Court justices.”

The President nodded in acknowledgment.

“Thank you for making sure of that, Mr. Chairman” the President said “I hate to trouble you but there are political debts that I must pay.”

“Speaking of which”, Matori began “There is still the debt to be paid to the Treasurer of the PKPB, am I correct, Mr. President?”

The President took a sip of water.

“Akbar Tandjung will get what he’s asked for, but until the time is right he needs to do some of the hard lifting himself”, the President “He’s one more reason why we need to get Hamzah in the BPK, because the PKPB’s going to guess rightly that that’s the price for Hamzah’s support for me and they’re going to blame him even more for causing Tutut’s defeat instead of looking elsewhere.”
Well as long as people could keep their secret, Try's plan could go well, although now that begs the question, what is Akbar medium plan for PKPB...
7th April 2003:
Forgot that Ujung Pandang name is still not changed back...., while I repeat @deepoceanblue 's question (more on that later) well perhaps the fair could present an opportunity to rename themselves...
Is Aksa Mahmud only representing himself or the whole of the province regional delegates in a previous meeting? I wonder if perhaps the renaming of cities names (bot just Makassar)to the preferred ones (particularly in the provinces has Tutut supporting representatives) would also play as a other distraction for Tutut to not find the actual culprit...

I think I would comment on the other parts later...

Is Aksa Mahmud only representing himself or the whole of the province regional delegates in a previous meeting? I wonder if perhaps the renaming of cities names (bot just Makassar)to the preferred ones (particularly in the provinces has Tutut supporting representatives) would also play as a other distraction for Tutut to not find the actual culprit...
Theoretically he's representing the province but he obviously has his interests and aims.

The Next question would be is the deputy Chief of Army a four star assignment? I don't know why but I think injustice is being done to both SBY and now Ryamizard Ryacudu.
The next question is whether the appointment as governor can be an active military appointment in the political role of ABRI? I ask this because SBY seems to be both Governor of Lemhanas while still being in ABRI. Or did I confuse him with someone else.
Oh you mean, the Deputy Commander of ABRI being a 4 star assignment, right? I am copying OTL ABRI/TNI here (https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daftar_Wakil_Panglima_Tentara_Nasional_Indonesia). I would assume this is the case so that when the Deputy Commander of ABRI steps in, there's no awkwardness of a 3-star officer having to command 4-star officers (the chiefs of staffs) even on an acting basis.

Being a governor is absolutely an active military personnel being appointed in a political role. The Try Regime is still continuing the Soeharto Regime habit of appointing military personnel as ministers, heads of agencies, governors, regent, mayor, bureaucrats, and officials from the state-owned enterprises.

Lemhanas however is an agency subordinate to the Department of Defense and Security rather than a literal province. It's an agency that's in charge of making strategic assessment as well as holding leadership courses for officers, civil servants, people in state-owned enterprises (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Resilience_Institute). For whatever reason, the person in charge of the Lemhanas is called a governor. The Governor of Lemhanas' job is now open to civilians but has been for the most part given to military officers. Usually it's a job given to officers with an intellectual bent but who is out of the running of being Army Chief of Staff.

Firstly, what if on being found out SBY decided to forgo his military behaviour and decided to differ with his chief and said what's the point of election if one can't use their conscience? ABRI isn't an extension of PKPI and the days of Feisal Tanjung considering ABRI a part of Golkar is over.
A lot of mind would be blown if he actually said that. But as we have seen, he voted against Try not on the basis on conscience but on the basis of "My career is in a dead end under Try".

Secondly, what if SBY of OTL was SIed into SBY ITTL? How would he react?
I think he would say "I prefer OTL". The concerns which ITTL SBY had regarding his career is the same exact concern he had in OTL (He was sad that he was appointed a cabinet minister but this turned out to be the beginning of his road to the presidency). The only difference is that in OTL things turned out very well for him.

The concern that ITTL SBY had about his career is th

Now I will comment on the rest of the update...
“My predecessor, President Soeharto, spoke of our nation as becoming a just and prosperous society after we have completed Repelita X”, the President said “With that in my mind, I believe that this Repelita, the eighth out of ten national development plans, will be an important one. It will be the opportunity for us to make our journey towards nation towards a just and prosperous society irreversible.”
I do wonder with the reduced impact of the 1997 financial crisis, the term Repelita would actually stick indefinitely, even if Mega/PNI would somehow gained a majority and gained the presidency in the medium term...
“So that’s what Fahim and Jalali were talking about earlier”, Edi said “That’s not a bad idea actually, they get some cash we get some weapons.”

“What do you think?” asked the President to Wiranto.

“T-54/T-55s…”, Wiranto said “There’s a lot of those in Afghanistan, Mr. President, probably hundreds…we can pick the ones that’s best-maintained or in the best shape.”

"Well I'm going to expect a discount if they want us to buy in bulk", the President said "You have the 2003 ABRI Leadership Meeting next week but see that you make a trip to Afghanistan not long after that."

“Buying Soviet-era equipment from a nation occupied by the United States and NATO...”, Marzuki said while chuckling to himself "Doesn't get more free and active than that."
Errrr...T-55s...I have mixed feeling about this...since this could probably alarmed the Aussies enough that they will ask for a moratorium on the purchase of tanks....and I do wonder if the tanks could be upgraded (perhaps with a few heavy persuasion for the US, the upgrade plans originally meant for the Chinese could be used here...). Whether the tanks would receive a futher upgrade or not...perhaps this would definitely effect the development of the Harimau (whether by bassically cancelled due to redundancy or transformed it into an entirely different tank remained to be seen)...
At the Airport’s VIP room he was welcomed by none other than Prime Minister of Thailand Thaksin Shinawatra and Minister of Foreign Affairs Surakiart Sathirathai. There were a lot of cameras in the room as Thaksin made sure that his handshake with Try also doubled as a photo-op. There was a lot of flash photography in the room but a lot of questions were thrown the leaders’ way.

“Prime Minister Thaksin, this is the second time in a month that you are meeting with President Try Sutrisno, the first time when you made the sudden decision to attend his inauguration last month”, asked one reporter “Is this your way of shielding yourself from all that’s happened over the last few months? By latching onto the coattails of Southeast Asia’s most prominent leader?”

“Prime Minister Thaksin, can you be confident of the Army’s stance towards your government the way President Try can be confident of ABRI’s stance towards his?” asked another reporter.

“Thank you, thank you very much”, Thaksin said “Please allow President Try so he can go to his accommodation and get some rest.”

“Tough crowd, huh, Mr. Prime Minister?” Try asked once they got far away enough from the press.

“Yes, of course, Mr. President”, Thaksin replied with a smile though it was clear to Try that Thaksin looked tense.
Yeah....I do wonder how does the Thaksin goverment differed ITTL, especially considering an earlier election than IOTL and the resultant smaller majority for Thaksin (which meant, more importantly,
1.The opposition had 2/5th of the seats which meant they could call for no confidence motion if things did go awry for Thaksin, which meant...
2. The Thai Nation Party had gained some leverage since they could just went with the opposition if this happens).
The increase pressure from opposition parties (and others like the Army (like you have probably hinted), probably the King(as a result of Thaksin extreme war on drugs) and improbably, the IMF (considering its strictness ITTL)), while keeping in mind that his goverment has only 1 year left before an election would have to be called...

I think there is potentially seed being sowed right now for Thaksin to try calling a snap election during his speech pronouncing the end of the IMF debt repayment due later this year (IOTL 31 July, the date could be changed ITTL considering the circumstances).....

P/s:
I think he would say "I prefer OTL". The concerns which ITTL SBY had regarding his career is the same exact concern he had in OTL (He was sad that he was appointed a cabinet minister but this turned out to be the beginning of his road to the presidency). The only difference is that in OTL things turned out very well for him.

The concern that ITTL SBY had about his career is th.....
I agree...I think he would publicly said "Yes the OTL economy is weaker...but the democracy in Indonesia is an actual thriving one" (while also privately knowing the fact that the OTL Indonesia democracy is a flawed one)...

I think you forgotten something at the end here....

Last edited: