Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... Well, in the strictest sense a "Japanese produced animation " boom (or boomlet) already happened in the 1980s right? Samurai Pizza Cats, Robotech, Transformers, Mysterious Cities of Gold etc.

But when you say "anime boom", what I think of is what happened in the mid-late 90s, which is when movies like Akira, Ghost In The Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion etc get popular in the West and, its really about the idea that anime movies and series are meaningful entertainment to young adults. I would happen to think that's probably because people in the 80s kind of weren't ready for it yet, and not that much of it was being made. And when I say "ready for it", this is partly because people who grew up with the former "Japanese animation" in the '80s and videogames in the same decade in the '80s to '90s are aging into different stuff.

And then when they stopped making so many movies and series that were aimed at being mature entertainment for adults, because it wasn't profitable or whatever, anime kind of changes its form towards more commercially viable stuff. And that's kind of the end of what we perceive to be the "anime boom" - in the sense of "being at its most culturally relevant and influential" phase - even though they're perhaps actually selling increasing amount of actual copies and more people are Miyazaki films or Shinkai films or whatever.

So I'm not sure you could make it too much earlier really. As well as being dependent on a receptive public, the boom in the relatively mature anime in the '90s is kind of dependent on a confluence of Bubble Economy money and young, driven talent that's still about in Japan, interested in making some sci-fi and fantasy with some relatively mature themes, and frustrated from going down the live action route by Japan's minimal studio capacity for blockbusters. (I'm always amazed that Wings of Honneamise was basically made by a bunch of bunch of folks in their 20s).

Now that one is a little before my time...
Yes it aired on US TV sometime in the early 1960's and I caught the re-runs around 68-69 but I was very young at the time and don't remember much about my first viewing experience of the show except that I was hooked and thought it was really cool.
I caught the show again as an adult when Cartoon Network brought it back. There was a re-boot too in the 1990's I believe, I've only seen a few of those but some day I'd like to watch both versions in their entirety.

For those who may be unaware, this is Gigantor, the granddaddy of mecha anime.
And the best one IMHO. :cool:

Anybody remember the live-action Japanese shows that were syndicated in the '70's, like "Space Giants"/Ambassador Magma and "Ultraman"? I friggin loved those too... was the only thing that could keep me home glued to the TV instead of riding my bike God-knows-where when I was a kid...

Anybody remember the live-action Japanese shows that were syndicated in the '70's, like "Space Giants"/Ambassador Magma and "Ultraman"? I friggin loved those too... was the only thing that could keep me home glued to the TV instead of riding my bike God-knows-where when I was a kid...
I remember Ultraman but that was from the 1960's, unless your thinking of a reboot.
My favorite live action anime from the 1970's was Johnny Sakko and his Giant Robot. I first saw it as a movie that was made up from several of the TV episodes and then the TV show was aired a year later.

Huh. I didn't know those aired in America back then.

I remember "Ultraman", "Speed Racer", "Star Blazers", and "Battle of the Planets". Watched them all in the 70's. Our generation has remembered those shows, even when we didn't get into anime later. They are mixed in with "Scooby Doo", "Land of the Lost", and other staples of Saturday morning and after school afternoons.

"Battle of the Planets" - I think one of my earliest TV crushes was on the female character in that show.

Great Depressions hits even harder and affects the American motion picture industry. American film studios are forced to outsource their animation overseas to cut animation costs, with Japan an easy destination as Japan was one of the United States's largest trade partners in the 30s and was known for cheap and affordable goods. American film studios were doing something like this during the 60s with Warner Bros and MGM outsourcing their theatrical animation and television animation studios were outsourcing their work to Japanese and Korean studios. World War 2 would probably force American film studios to revert animation back in the United States.

Huh. I didn't know those aired in America back then.
Not sure when they 1st aired (as cortz#9 says above, '60's I guess), but I watched 'em in the afternoons on a grainy UHF channel (for those who remember VHF and UHF!), so they'd probably been on the air for a while when I 1st started catching 'em...

I remember "Ultraman", "Speed Racer", "Star Blazers", and "Battle of the Planets". Watched them all in the 70's. Our generation has remembered those shows, even when we didn't get into anime later. They are mixed in with "Scooby Doo", "Land of the Lost", and other staples of Saturday morning and after school afternoons.

"Battle of the Planets" - I think one of my earliest TV crushes was on the female character in that show.
Seems like I had a thing for Nova from Star Blazers ;)

Star Blazers could have led to something,

Ranma also had potential.
I think the main problem is the Animation Age Ghetto but back them a lot of anime were family-friendly, but japan did have laxer standard in animation than the USA(AND THEREFOR most of the west), something would be made that anime could be show in post-watershed or couldn't cause big controversies

Let’s not forget to add Ultra 7, CPT Harlock, and Mazinger z. I also remember watching Nausicaa and the valley of the winds on HBO in either 1980’ 81 or 1982.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.