Guy Carleton, The Patriot

Help on a little timeline I am working on. Are there any (plausible) set of circumstances that could see Guy Carleton not appointed as Lt Governor and later Governor of Quebec, but instead wind up fighting for the colonies? I think that since the requirement would be that he be a Patriot, being appointed a governor elsewhere doesn't work.

Also, what were his politics of the day? Presuming he lives through the war, does anyone have any inclination as to whether he would fall into the Federalist or Democratic-Republican camp?

Honestly, he was a British career soldier who I believe would get a barony for defending Quebec and was very much part of the establishment.

I see a 'patriot' Carleton a lot, but to me it's simply and bluntly implausible.

Honestly, he was a British career soldier who I believe would get a barony for defending Quebec and was very much part of the establishment.

I see a 'patriot' Carleton a lot, but to me it's simply and bluntly implausible.

Also, even if you threw a whole bag of monkey wrenches into his biography to put him in America, Carleton could do better as a Founding Father in the Second Continental Congress than as a field commander. He certainly proved his skills as a statesman OTL.:cool:

Last edited:

Honestly, I understand that. I just thought it would be an interesting wrinkle and looking for at least a semi-plausible way if one existed

Also, even if you threw a whole bag of monkey wrenches into his biography to put him in America, Carlton could do better as a Founding Father in the Second Continental Congress than as a field commander. He certainly proved his skills as a statesman OTL.:cool:

Truly, that was the end game. I agree is/would be a much better statesman than soldier. The soldiering during the war was just a means to an end for me. So with that said, F or DR?

Also, even if you threw a whole bag of monkey wrenches into his biography to put him in America, Carleton could do better as a Founding Father in the Second Continental Congress than as a field commander. He certainly proved his skills as a statesman OTL.:cool:

Truly, that was the end game. I agree is/would be a much better statesman than soldier. The soldiering during the war was just a means to an end for me. So with that said, F or DR?

F or DR??:confused::confused::confused:

Would Carleton's political views align him more with the Federalists, or with the Democratic-Republicans?

Carleton died in 1808, by which time he would have been retired for some time politically. Until 1797, the USA had no political parties. So maybe for a few years he is a Federalist?

Really? I haven't seen it at all. I admit that its implausible, but I'd at least like to see the TLs, because it sounds entertaining. Could you me point me to a few of them?