Gay Rights if the Weimar Republic survives...

If this has been discussed before, I couldn't find it.

The tings is, homosexuellity wasn't illegal in the Weimar Republik, and homesexuells where send to Concentration Camps by the Nazis in carfulls.

So after 1945 there was basicly nothing left of the German gay right movement.

So I am wondering, how would the international gay rights movement look if Magnus Hirschfeld http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_Hirschfeld as important as Harvey Milk is in OTL and instead of the Cristopher Street day, Juli 6th, the founding day of the Institut für Sexualwissenschaften http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institut_für_Sexualwissenschaft would be celebrated by gay activists worldwide?

Depends. Would the rights be for tolerance or gender blindness in the face of the law? Would it be for Germany as a whole or for state by state, much as in the United States?

Depends. Would the rights be for tolerance or gender blindness in the face of the law? Would it be for Germany as a whole or for state by state, much as in the United States?
Even then such things were federal matters in Germany. It is not possible in Germany that something is illegal in one state (or city) but legal in another.

But the legality of homosexuality in Germany would have not impact in the USA or other countries with similiar laws. Why? Because homosexuality was legal in France since the French Revolution and in Italy at least since the Risorgimento (AFAIK it was never illegal there). http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilfe:Audio

But the legality of homosexuality in Germany would have not impact in the USA or other countries with similiar laws. Why? Because homosexuality was legal in France since the French Revolution and in Italy at least since the Risorgimento (AFAIK it was never illegal there).

Interesting.

Well apparently §175 wasn't even abolished in the Weimar Republik, still there was a smal political movement.

I really don't know much about those things, this wasn't a rethorical question, I really wonder...

Poland never had Anti-Gay Laws and Executions at all but only Except under the Russian Rule but then it Decriminalizes after when it get independence

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
I think the massive economic struggles of the Weimer Republic get partially blamed on sexual freedom. Perhaps not very logical, but we humans think over cause and effect to a fault. We are meaning creating creatures.

=====

The image of hyperinflation and wheelbarrows of money is such a gripping image that we don't really know much else about the economics of the time. My guess would be, and it's only a guess, was that the situation also had elements of stagflation and had higher than normal unemployment. And I'd still entertain the idea that economic growth is the single most important number, although I haven't really thought it through for this type of extreme situation.

And bringing it back to LGBTQ rights, that if economic conditions are harsh and punishing, people tend to be meaner. Whereas if the economic is doing well and you feel like you have a variety of opportunity, it's a lot easier to extend freedom and acceptance to other people. You just like the world more and that includes other people.

Deleted member 1487

Berlin was basically the gay capital of the world in the 1920s and is now since the 1990s. I'd imagine it remains that way from the 1920s onward to today had it not been for the Nazis.